cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Message: "Are you still listening?"

Lemonlookout
Local Performer

Is there a way to turn this off or extend it? I have it playing for guests at our condo and sometimes it turns off before they get there 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora

@Lemonlookout The "Are you still listening?" message appears when we detect that there has not been any interaction with the player for a while.

This is in place to avoid playing music to empty rooms and helps reduce our streaming costs. Since we pay full royalties on every song we play, having a timeout interval enables us to prevent streaming endlessly to unattended devices. Ultimately, it allows us to offer a free radio service and to maintain the current prices of our subscriptions.

When you encounter the timeout message, simply click or tap anywhere on the Pandora music player to continue listening.

To limit timeouts you can upgrade to Pandora Plus or Pandora Premium, which allow you to listen for longer periods without interruptions. Pandora Plus subscribers have longer timeout periods than free listeners, and Pandora Premium subscribers have longer timeout periods than Pandora Plus subscribers.

To learn more about the benefits of upgrading, visit this page.

Hope this helps!

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies

AdamPandora

@Lemonlookout The "Are you still listening?" message appears when we detect that there has not been any interaction with the player for a while.

This is in place to avoid playing music to empty rooms and helps reduce our streaming costs. Since we pay full royalties on every song we play, having a timeout interval enables us to prevent streaming endlessly to unattended devices. Ultimately, it allows us to offer a free radio service and to maintain the current prices of our subscriptions.

When you encounter the timeout message, simply click or tap anywhere on the Pandora music player to continue listening.

To limit timeouts you can upgrade to Pandora Plus or Pandora Premium, which allow you to listen for longer periods without interruptions. Pandora Plus subscribers have longer timeout periods than free listeners, and Pandora Premium subscribers have longer timeout periods than Pandora Plus subscribers.

To learn more about the benefits of upgrading, visit this page.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Ssaen_Nails
Local Performer

I love free Pandora radio, but after 4 hours the app will pause playing the music to ask if I am still listening. I am, or I was... I have to stop what I am doing at work to get the music playing again. Every time this happens my speaker loses the perfect connection it had and will start to skip. I wind up having to close out of the app completely and reboot for the speaker to work correctly again. It sets me back at work.

It was already answered in someone else's previous question that I can upgrade my account to plus or premium for longer music playing periods and less timeouts, but the answer didn't describe just how much longer the timeout will be for a plus or premium account.

I don't mind upgrading and paying a monthly fee, but I would like to know which subscription is right for me.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Ssaen_Nails Thanks for writing back and sharing your feedback about the timeout policy.

We actively test various approaches to better gauge whether or not we're playing to an empty room.

While Pandora Premium subscribers benefit from our longest period of uninterrupted listening, the only way to eliminate timeouts completely is by subscribing to Pandora for Business. This option is not an ideal solution for home use, as it involves a higher subscription fee that includes music licensing costs and must be played through special equipment.

If that still interests you, you can get more information about Pandora for Business through our partners at Mood Media.

For now, we've passed your thoughts along to our product team. We will keep them in mind as we re-evaluate the timeout policy.

Thanks again for writing!

0 Kudos