cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11/26/2019: Music stops without any error messages on Samsung Galaxy

AlyssaPandora

Pandora Update: 11/26/19: Hi everyone!

We're aware of an issue affecting Android listeners (specifically those with Samsung Galaxy devices) where the music stops without any error messages, or the music stops when your phone's lock screen is on. We believe that this issue may be related to your "Sleeping Apps" setting, which is causing the app to stop / pause when it is backgrounded.

Please try out the following steps:

• You can access this setting in the Device Care menu.
  • Click on Battery, and then, click on More options.
  • Click on Settings > Sleeping Apps
  • From your Sleeping Apps, you should be able to long press Pandora.  Once you're able to view the App Usage for Pandora, you'll want to make sure that the put app to sleep button is toggled to the OFF setting.

++

Here's a screenshot of what this looks like:

screenshot_20191112-192244_device_care.jpg

Hope this information is helpful.

Thanks for your patience during this process!

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora

@Darrell Sorry for the continued trouble.

I moved your post over to this thread as it sounds like this setting may need to be adjusted on your device.

Please try out the steps from my original post here to see if it helps.

Feel free to let us know if you still run into any issues. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
72 Replies

low3910
Local Performer

Why is my music stop playing two minutes into a song?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

AdamPandora

@low3910 Could you tell me a bit more about what is happening? Are you listening to Pandora on a computer or on a device?

1. If you are on a computer, are you listening from:
    • A Mac or Windows computer?
    • Our website, or the desktop app? If you're listening from our website, what browser are you using?
  2. If you are on a device, what is the make and model (and carrier, if applicable)?
  3. Is there an error message when the music stops ? If so, what does it say?
  4. Can you provide me with a screenshot of what you're seeing? (If you're not sure how to take a screenshot, just let me know and I'll be happy to provide you with some additional steps.)

Let me know.

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Rpettis07
Local Performer

So on my S9 galaxy pandora keeps cutting out. I tried the steps for troubleshooting for Android. However the steps doesn't explain how to make sure the app is installed to local memory vs SD card. So I cant check for this or fix it without help please. 

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @Rpettis07.

1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Tap Apps.
  3. Tap the app you want to move to your local memory.
  4. Tap Storage.
  5. Under "Storage used," tap Change to choose your option.

++

Could you tell me a bit more about what is happening?

• Are you receiving any error messages when you attempt to listen?
  • Are your songs stopping?
  • Is the app crashing when you listen from your Android device?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

sandracato08
Local Performer

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and my pandora app is cutting off. I will sign in and song will start playing and after a few seconds the song stops and the app closes.

0 Kudos

Natalie
Local Performer

My music keeps quitting half way through the song and goes to another and repeats itself. How do I fix this?

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @sandracato08 sorry for the continued trouble with this. Can you let me know the Pandora version you're currently using? (If you need help with this, let me know)

Were you able to successful clear the app data?

Tanner | Community Moderator

- Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Natalie I moved your post to this thread because it sounds like you might be having a similar issue. 

Let's start with some standard troubleshooting for your Android. You can find helpful steps here

Let me know how it goes. Thanks for posting to community! 🎧

Tanner | Community Moderator

- Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

TmacPandora
Pandora
Pandora

@Natalie@sandracato08@Rpettis07, we've been seeing a lot of complaints about playback stoppage and it's been a very high priority for us to get fixed.  The difficult part for us is that we haven't been able to repeat the problem in the office.  I'm hoping you can help us out.  The more info, the better.  Here are some initial questions I have.

1) Are you seeing the playback stop on stations, albums or playlists? All of the above?  Is it something specific that's not playing correctly or does it happen on anything you play?

2) Are any of you downloading this content you're having playback problems on or have you downloaded the content on pandora at any point?

3) Do you see the problem on a specific network like when you're at home, work, driving?

4) Can you give specific times that the playback stoppage is happening to you so I can try to track down the issue in our analytics?  the content you were listening to would also be a huge help.

Thanks for taking the time to bring your issues to us.  We want to fix them for you.

TMac | Staff Software Engineer

Nikky
Local Performer

This is happening to me as well. I'm about to delete Pandora. I even tried closing the app, deactivating, signing up with a different email, doing an upgrade and it all still does the same. I use pandora on my Samsung galaxy 9+. I have never had this issue until recently. And I am signed into wifi. 

0 Kudos

TmacPandora
Pandora
Pandora

Hi, @Nikky If you can give us more details around the questions I asked above it would be a huge help in getting us closer to the root cause on this issue.

TMac | Staff Software Engineer

0 Kudos

Steverum
Local Performer

Music stops constantly 

0 Kudos

Lightbringer646
Underground
i notice since the update today every time i play a song it pauses in the middle of the song. i tried reinstalling the app and restarting my phone. any ideas?
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

@Lightbringer646 I moved your post over to this thread as it sounds similar to what other listeners are experiencing here.

Please check out @TmacPandora's post / questions here, so we can gather more info about what is happening.

Thanks for your help with this!

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Steverum Nice to see you around the community.

Please follow up with the information requested in my message above and I'll be happy to help. 

0 Kudos

globalgood
Local Performer

I never even got a response after three separate complaints of the problem.  There were no hints as to what might be the problem.  I finally removed the entire application frim my S8+ and after several reboots to make sure nothing was left, I reinstalled the APP, expecting I'd have the latest revisions and updates available.  Now, though the app appears to be running better I am unable to add channels like I could before and even though I've paid the continually increasing rate of subscription, I'm forced to endure commercials and advertisements in order to get to music I want to hear.  Only when I stated I would CANCEL my subscription and tell everyone I know to stay away from the paid service did I get a cx response and the suggestion they would look at the problem.

0 Kudos

BriGuy832
Underground

Hi @AdamPandora

I am having the same issue. After roughly 2 minutes, the music stops.

The app still shows that the song is going (notice the pause button in the screenshot).

I am not doing anything at the moment, it just stops. When I switch back to the app, a new song will start. I turn my screen off, and the. 2 minutes later, the same thing happens.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S10+.

There is no error message.Screenshot_20191111-115408_Chrome.jpg

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@BriGuy832 I moved your post to this thread as it sounds like you are experiencing a similiar issue.

Please check out @TmacPandora's post / questions here, so we can gather more info about what is happening.

Thanks for all your help with this! 

BriGuy832
Underground

Hi @TmacPandora 

Similar issue here.

Answers that apply to your previous questions below.  First, my particular situation:

I am using the Android App, version 1910.3, on a Samsung Galaxy S10+. All software versions up to date.

When I play anything from the Pandora app, and start using another app, or turn my screen off, 1 minute to 90 seconds later (I timed it three times), the audio stops. If I swipe down and see the notifications from my phone, the app still shows the audio is playing, as shown by the "II" sign. If I click on that, to see what is going on, the app restarts and a new song starts playing. Then the same thing will happen, over and over.

---

1) Are you seeing the playback stop on stations, albums or playlists? *All of the above.  Is it something specific that's not playing correctly or does it happen on anything you play? *on everything I play (stations and podcasts)

2) Are any of you downloading this content you're having playback problems on or have you downloaded the content on pandora at any point? *I do not have anything downloaded that I can find through the app, so I am experiencing this on streaming content 

3) Do you see the problem on a specific network like when you're at home, work, driving? *I only use this on my home wifi network. I have tried different wifi networks, and the issue is present on all.

4) Can you give specific times that the playback stoppage is happening to you so I can try to track down the issue in our analytics? *So far today, it has happened four times. Three times were songs, and once was a Podcast. Times range from 11am-12:40pm, EST.  the content you were listening to would also be a huge help. * You can look at my history from today, each song there had it happen.