cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Casting Error "Session with Device has ended"

cmorin543
Underground

For over a year and a half now I have had issues casting to any Google home device. Google home hub, Google home mini 1 and 2 and a Lenovo Google device. No matter what Android device, I tried to cast from, a Google 6 pro, an Amazon Fire tablet or an Acer Android tablet. I get the same results from any of the devices. When I pull up the cast options, I will see all of my devices on the network. If I select any of them the music on my phone will stop, nothing will happen for about 3 seconds. Then it will get a message at the bottom of the screen that says" your session with device has ended ". I've tried troubleshooting this in the past with Pandora support and they said they were aware of the issue and a new release would fix the issue. Randomly the casting will actually work. But the next day it will stop all over again and I'll end up with the same results. I did also reach out to Google support and they said that it is a issue with Pandora and Pandora is aware of it. About 3 weeks ago it was working for almost every day during the course of a week and then it stopped working again and hasn't worked since. If I initiate the music by asking Google to play on a specific device without using my phone to start the music, I can then open the Pandora app on my phone and control the device that is playing. But if I stop the music for any reason it will fail when I go to restart it.  I've already tried resetting the app multiple times, clearing cache, clearing data, resetting the entire Android device, resetting all of my Google home devices, removing them from my account and re-adding them.  Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Labels (3)
16 Replies

thelgeson
Underground

I see this problem regularly and have for a couple years now.  I was hoping that it would be resolved when I upgraded from my pixel 3XL to the Pixel 6, but it still happens on my new device.

This is extremely annoying and often stops me from using Pandora completely some days. It's one of the best features and rarely works. 

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@thelgeson Can you please send over a screenshot of the error message you're seeing?

(Please note you won't be able to attach images via email - you will need to open this Community link in a web browser in order to provide attachments)

Thanks for working with us on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

cmorin543
Underground

Please see the image below

Screenshot_20220828-203035.png

0 Kudos

Rjaverill
Local Performer

Did this get resolved? I have had the same issue for over a year now. I cancelled my paid membership due to this exact issue.

cmorin543
Underground

The issue was resolved for about a month, then an update went out and it broke again.  It hasn't worked in a few weeks.

thelgeson
Underground

Sorry I never responded here!  I somehow didn't get any email notifications from this thread until today with the latest reply....

The screenshot posted by cmorin543 on 8-28-2022 is exactly what I see.   I still see the issue today whenever I attempt it.  Usually I resort to telling a google home to cast to the same groups that won't connect in the Pandora app and it works fine... although it often creates new channels instead of the existing ones with similar names, which is annoying.  I would still prefer to use this feature if it were working.

MST3Kimber
Local Performer

Still having this same issue, even after trying their troubleshooting. If I have to go through that whole process just to link up to my Google device, I'll go somewhere else. Pandora, this has been an ongoing issue for nearly 2 years. Why is it taking so long to resolve? 

bp1189
Local Performer

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. It's very frustrating. I have to connect via Bluetooth to the speaker to play Pandora on it. 

thelgeson
Underground

@AdamPandora - Is there anything we can do to help figure this one out?  I would be happy to debug issues or try and gather any additional information that you might think is helpful.

0 Kudos

MusicFan7822
Local Performer

I have filed a Better Business Bureau complaint against Pandora concerning this issue. There is no online support available to fix this issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Pandora app multiple times as well as deleting and adding it back as my music subscription service with Google Home. The BBB complaint will hopefully get Pandora's attenion. I can always cancel my subscription of many years if Pandora does NOTHING. 

0 Kudos

Velvet87
Local Performer

Hello, i have always been able to cast Pandora from my android phone to my smart tv. Now, when i try to cast, it say, "Your session has ended" after a few seconds of silence.

I have attempted to fix it by restarting the devices and my phone (Samsung S10e) and signing out and back into Pandora. All devices are current with software updates.  Other casting services (Amazon) cast just fine from my phone to all Chromecast devices. 

My phone model is sm- g970u1. My tv is Vizio model number d40f-g9

What could be the problem? Thank you! 

0 Kudos

Nutralone
Underground

I may have discovered a fix. Similar issue here. For the last day, I haven't been able to cast from my Android to my Chromecast equipped smart TV. All other streaming apps work just fine.

I logged into Pandora with my Windows laptop using Chrome and selected the cast feature within the browser. Even though the cast icon was not showing, the cast popup window was indicating that everything was already selected and functioning. Any mouse clicks had no effect, so I merely stopped the casting process on my browser, logged out, went into my Android settings and performed a force stop on Pandora and then re-opened it. Everything appears to be working just fine now.

It would appear there is a bug, or something in the cache, in my laptop or browser, while not actually casting, runs in the background and prevents my Android from handshaking with the Chromecast. If so, this may be a Chrome issue.😎🤔

cmorin543
Underground

I'll give this a try later tonight if I have the casting issue and report back.

0 Kudos

Tlvstpaul
Local Performer

This issue has been the bane of my existence with Android, Google Home, and Pandora. I don't run into it nearly as often. If I simply ask my nest minis to play music from Pandora, however, I don't have them as much control when I do it that way. It seems that shortly after I choose to cast music from my phone to the nest minis that it will throw the "session has ended" warning and I will be unable to cast from, Pandora for the rest of the day. 

My other favorite is when it tells me the session has ended, plays a little chime and then switches from the lullaby music to Aerosmith. **ahem**? 

0 Kudos

cmorin543
Underground

My casting had been working well for the last 3 months until the latest version of Android was released.  Ever since upgrading to Android 14, it's been hit or miss. Tonight I went out to my garage and tried to cast from my phone to my Google Home speaker and it failed about 10 times before I finally got it to connect and play. But the last few nights, I've had to start the music from the speaker by voice command and then open up Pandora on my phone and then connect to the speaker and it linked what was playing already on the speaker.

0 Kudos

hoarse
Local Performer

Same issue.

0 Kudos