cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Unable to Play Downloaded Podcasts Offline

IrradiatedJake
Underground

Hello all,

I recently started using Pandora Plus for the offline mode so I could save data. It allows you to download podcasts as well so I did, but when I tried to play them I'm offline mode it wouldn't allow me to. Reading up on the FAQs I found that offline mode doesn't allow you to listen to podcasts, even if you downloaded them.

So my question is that if I've downloaded an episode of a podcast and I listen to it in online mode, will it still use my data?

Thanks,

Jake

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

AdamPandora

@IrradiatedJake I moved your post over to the Android space.

Downloading podcasts with Pandora Premium:

To clarify, Pandora Premium subscribers can download podcasts for offline listening if they are using an Android mobile device with the latest version of our app.

Once you've decided which podcast you'd like to add to your offline collection, just tap the icon with the arrow pointing downward found on podcast backstage page or under My Collection using the Podcasts filter.

Keep in mind that this button will only appear for eligible individual episodes since it's not possible to download entire podcast programs at this time.

Once downloaded, the episodes will be sorted by most recently downloaded by default.

To view your offline episodes:

1. Tap the Profile tab and then the Settings gear in the top right corner.
  2. Toggle Offline Mode on.

Once Offline Mode has been enabled, you will see only the content in your collection that has been downloaded for offline listening and you can filter your offline collection further by Podcasts to only see those offline episodes. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Issues playing downloaded podcasts in Offline Mode:

Could you tell me a bit more about what is happening?

1. Are you only having trouble streaming podcasts in Offline Mode, or are you unable to play any downloaded content in Offline Mode (including songs/playlists/albums/etc.)?
  2. What is the name of one of the podcasts you are unable to stream in Offline Mode?
  3. Is there an error message? If so, what does it say?
  4. Can you provide me with a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

IrradiatedJake
Underground

Screenshot 

Hi,

I followed all of those steps previously and when I am in offline mode I can see my podcast, Critical Roll, in the list of episodes I've downloaded. However, when I click on play it takes me to the screenshot that I've attached and sits there, doing nothing. Nothing will play. When I looked into the matter it says in the help section that you cannot play podcasts in offline mode on Pandora. I'm not sure the reasoning behind this but it seems contradictory to the whole point of downloading an episode. I would only download it to save data.

So back to my original question: if I've downloaded an episode, will it save me data usage even if I'm not in offline mode? If not, what is the point of downloading it because you can't listen to it in by offline mode?

Thanks, 

Jake

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @IrradiatedJake. 👋

Thanks for getting back to us.

Offline Listening + Data Usage:

When listening to Pandora on most mobile devices, we use a highly-tuned 64Kbps AAC+ codec for the high-quality setting. That works out to 8.2 KiloBytes (8.2KB) per second, or roughly 500KB per minute. Figuring in additional content, such as information about the music and advertising, usage will likely be in the neighborhood of 35MB per hour. The Normal quality setting is half of this figure.

The short answer is no, offline listening will not use data on your device. Downloading only happens on Wi-Fi, unless you've opted-in to downloading over cellular connections in your settings. In that way, it will only affect your data usage if you want it to. Also, if you're listening online to a collected podcast episode, this would use data.

++

Troubleshooting:

I've enabled a trace on your Pandora account to better understand what's happening. Let's try running through some troubleshooting steps to see if this helps with what you're experiencing. From your Android Settings, please try clearing the Pandora app data using the following steps (not to worry, we'll keep track of your profile and collection for you):*

1. Open your device Settings
  2. Tap Apps
  3. Scroll down to find Pandora
  4. Select Storage
  5. On the storage details page tap Clear Data.

Keep in mind that the steps for each Android device is slightly different. If you have a Pixel, you can check out Google's help page for steps on how to clear space on your device.

Please note that you will be asked to log into your account after completing these steps.

*Pandora Premium and Premium Family listeners may need to re-download some of their offline content after this. Pandora Plus users, however, should receive that offline content again automatically. If you have any trouble with your offline stations after this, please let us know.

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

IrradiatedJake
Underground

Ok, I cleared the data and signed in again.

I went to my podcast and downloaded the episode. So now, if I listen to the episode, will it use data? 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

@IrradiatedJake If you're in Offline Mode, this doesn't use data. If you're listening (not in Offline Mode), this will use data.

After the troubleshooting, were you able to listen in Offline Mode to the downloaded podcast episode?

If not, I will need to create an internal ticket for our engineering team so that they can investigate.

++

Data Usage:

Since there are a lot of external variables at play, it's not possible for me to give a more concrete answer regarding your usage. Most cell phone providers do offer the option to track your monthly data usage. The best thing to do is familiarize yourself with the specifics of your own data plan. For example - check your data before using Pandora, listen to Pandora for 30 minutes, and then check your data usage again. This should give you an idea of how much data Pandora will use on your device.

It might also be helpful to contact your mobile service provider directly. They should be able to provide you more information about:

• Your prior data usage
  • How to monitor your usage
  • Average data usage from others on your network while using Pandora
  • How to avoid overage charges
  • What to expect when/if you do go over your data limit

Let me know about listening to the podcast episode offline, and thanks so much for sticking with me on this. 🎧

IrradiatedJake
Underground

Well I followed those steps and now it won't download the episode at all. When I press the download button it says it is downloading episode but it never does.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Thank you for the follow up, @IrradiatedJake. I've created an internal ticket with our engineering team so they can investigate further. We appreciate your patience while they look into this. 🎧