cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Turning Off / Exiting the App

Justdab
Underground

Pandora turned on in the middle of the night even though left on pause. Is there a definitive method to disarm so it's not draining the battery in the background?

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Justdab. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space.

When Pandora is paused, it will use minimal data and battery, and the Android system will automatically close apps as it needs.

• You can exit the app by navigating to the Recent Apps menu, finding the Pandora app and then swiping it away. 
  • You can also find out more information about closing apps on Android devices in Find, Open & Close Apps on Android 

Hope this helps! 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

55 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Justdab. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space.

When Pandora is paused, it will use minimal data and battery, and the Android system will automatically close apps as it needs.

• You can exit the app by navigating to the Recent Apps menu, finding the Pandora app and then swiping it away. 
  • You can also find out more information about closing apps on Android devices in Find, Open & Close Apps on Android 

Hope this helps! 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

Justdab
Underground
Thx. I'll give it a try. 

Sent from the all new AOL app for Android

Phxguy1940
Local Performer

How do i.turn off pandora without shutting down my phone ?

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Phxguy1940

If you're finished listening to Pandora, you'll simply press pause and exit the app on your device. If Pandora is in the background, re-launch Pandora, then just press the pause button and background the app again. When Pandora is paused, it will use minimal data and battery, and the Android system will automatically close apps as it needs.

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

datchoia751
Underground
well it depends on what phone u have cause some phones make it to where u
can slide it to the left and its off .but in some cases it has to be
where u have all the bars on the top and your phone is not use to freezing
up cause that could cause it to be hard to close out .
0 Kudos

Sfgiants43
Local Performer

This does not close the app! Swiping away the app force closes the app then it automatically opens back up! I love Pandora but have had this issue for YEARS and have Uninstalled it at least 10 times out of frustration. It is so simple to just have an exit button, why in the world wouldn't there be?? Please fix this!!

Justdab
Underground

Agreed!! Swiped out of Pandora yesterday only to find it turned itself back on and was running through my Bluetooth which was sitting on the counter for 3 hours! Needless to say, "drained phone battery."

RDDawg
Local Performer

Sorry, dumb when you cannot STOP an App. I do not care if using "minimal". I want to cease and "leave"; not uninstall. Arrogance when developers leave no way to terminate an App. Are you listening Pandora??????

Grynch_84
Underground

Absolutely horrendous. We can't turn off the app? **ahem**? I don't want it working in the background, I want it off. Not an answer.

mod edit: merged comments

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Grynch_84. 👋

I hope this helps clarify. 🎧

0 Kudos

Grynch_84
Underground

Hi,

These are the options when your instructions are followed.

1) Open  2)Uninstall  3) Force Stop

#3---Says, "If you force stop an app, it may misbehave.

Is that what you are asking me to do?

And of course if that is, what does "misbehave" mean?

Thanks

Grynch

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Grynch_84 That sounds like an Android error message when force closing an app.

If you're still having trouble exiting the Pandora app, I would recommend clearing your app data to see if that helps. You can find the steps to do that here: Android Troubleshooting

0 Kudos

Candlerman
Local Performer

Is this the same for a Samsung tablet?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Candlerman I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: Turning Off / Exiting the App

When you're done listening to Pandora, all you need to do is to press Pause and leave the app. It is not necessary to completely quit the app or sign out when you're done listening.

When paused, the Pandora app is dormant and will not use your device's CPU or internet data.

You can pause Pandora by pressing the Pause button on the Now Playing screen on Pandora. You can also pause from the play controls on your lock screen.

Check out the accepted solution for instructions on how you can exit the app as well.

Hope this helps!

Reubenesq
Local Performer

This is not closing the app and any data and battery usage is unacceptable.  I suggest logging out of app.

0 Kudos

Barry30211
Local Performer

That does not keep pandora from just running in the background again.  I want to STOP pandora.  How can I do that?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Barry30211 When you're done listening to Pandora, all you need to do is to press Pause and leave the app. It is not necessary to completely quit the app or sign out when you're done listening.

When paused, the Pandora app is dormant and will not use your device's CPU or internet data.

You can pause Pandora by pressing the Pause button on the Now Playing screen on Pandora. You can also pause from the play controls on your lock screen.

Check out the accepted solution for instructions on how you can exit the app as well.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Stask
Underground

Define minimal.... My phone battery goes from full to 20% after 6 hours of no use and Pandora used 42% of that while paused and sitting in the background. 42% is not minimal!

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Stask. 👋

I would recommend trying out these steps: Android Troubleshooting

If you still notice the high battery usage, I can report your issue over to our engineering team. It's helpful to know the following about your device:

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number):
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Let me know. 🎧

0 Kudos