cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music plays without being prompted at random times

devmonkey22
Opening Act

Anyone else have their Pandora app on Android randomly start playing music after they paused it a while ago (some times ~15 minutes, if not hours later?) Of course it unpauses and blasts music at the worst times like work meetings or when I'm on the phone.

I've had this happen mostly on my Android Samsung Galaxy tablet, but now this morning on my Galaxy S8 phone with Pandora version 1910.1 (Android Tuner 1910.1RC12).  Strangely, the phone started playing music while I was already listening to Pandora over the web (guessing it hadn't detected the "other" listener yet.

My best guess is its like the "Pause Live TV" cable box feature where if you pause too long and the buffer fills, it automatically unpauses because it runs out of memory and needs to start playing the recorded content.

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
128 Replies

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @mmarshall76. 👋

Thanks so much for sharing your experience on this thread. I've passed this info along to our engineering team.

I'd like to share your device info with them. Would you mind providing the following?

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks so much for your help with this! 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

mmarshall76
Local Performer

Model: Samsung Galaxy S9

Carrier: AT&T

Android: v10

Pandora: v2005.2 (ANDROID-TUNER 2005.2RC2)

WiFi/Celluar: Mostly WiFi but that's probably because I'm out using it on cellular and pause it when I get back to WiFi and stop using it

Patterns/Info: Nothing else

0 Kudos

bradypdrew
Underground

@AlyssaPandora @TannerPandora 

Has there been any progress on resolving this issue? It's been almost 8 months, and I'm still having to remember to play and then pause my music after using Android Auto. It appears many other users are experiencing this as well. I know fixes don't happen overnight, but I expect things like this to be addressed when paying $186.75/year for a service. 

0 Kudos

rolinger
Local Performer

This just happened for the first time on my Android phone too.  I paused the music yesterday around 1pm, later I closed the Pandora app....and then today at 11am it just started playing (the same station I was listening to).  At the time, I was playing the music through a bluetooth connected speaker.  But when it started playing on its own the phones bluetooth was turned off and it was playing through the phone speaker.  When it started playing today it did so from the status bar dropdown, the app wasn't actually running in the background so I was not able to swipe/close the app.  The only way to get rid of it from the status bar was to do a "Clear All" - I couldn't even swipe the status bar player to close it.

Phone: Android Pixel 3a

Carrier: T-Mobile

Android: 10

Pandora Version: 2007.2 (Android-Tuner 2007.2RC10)

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @rolinger. 👋

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and device details. I understand how frustrating this can be. I've passed your information along to our engineers to review. 🎧

0 Kudos

Kmm91
Local Performer

Last night, my phone was on a shelf by my bed, untouched for hours. I hadn't played Pandora for several hours prior, probably about 10. Then at 2:30am, my husband's waking me up because Pandora started playing music on my phone. I shut it off & put my phone back down, only for it to start playing again. I go to Pandora settings, no alarm is set, my Bluetooth & wifi have been off, Pandora was not in the background apps, so I cleared it in recent apps again. It comes back on seconds later. This went on for 45 minutes (I muted it to help my sanity) & finally settled for deleting all data for the app. This morning I logged back in. About 10 minutes ago, it started playing again. I haven't been on Pandora in about 3 hours, & it hasn't been a background app. What do I do?

0 Kudos

Kmm91
Local Performer

My phone is the Note 10+, up to date. Pandora is version 2007.2

0 Kudos

klborschel
Local Performer

Same happening to me. v2008.1 on LG ThinQ

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Kmm91 @klborschel  I moved your posts to this thread since you are running into a similar issue.

If you haven't yet already, please run through the troubleshooting steps listed here

If you continue to experience issues with this, can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):

Additionally:

• Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?
  • Do you have any Bluetooth accessories like speakers, smartwatches, or a car connected to your phone?
  • Have you used Bluetooth or cast recently?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Lex1
Underground

Same just started happening to my S10

• Carrier: T-Mo
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): 10,
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone): QP1A.190711.020.G973USQS4DTF6
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone): JULY 1

Additionally:

• Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening? BOTH
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?
  • Do you have any Bluetooth accessories like speakers, smartwatches, or a car connected to your phone? NO
  • Have you used Bluetooth or cast recently? NO

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @Lex1. 👋

I moved your post over to this thread to keep the community space organized: Music plays without being prompted at random times

Could you share the Pandora app version on your S10 device?

Pandora version:

• Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.

I'd like to pass this along to our engineering team. 🎧

0 Kudos

FatBuddhaBoo
Local Performer

This literally just started happening to me as well.  Woke up at 3:15 am two mornings in a row to Pandora playing, almost like it was in alarm clock mode but that is not an option in the settings, as it shows Disabled.

GOOGLE Pixel 4

Android 10

Android  security updated August 5, 2020

Pandora version 2008.1

**ahem**...

0 Kudos

FatBuddhaBoo
Local Performer

Update from last night...

No 3:15 am Pandora launch this morning, but when I rebooted my phone it auto launches and plays.

Was thinking maybe it has something to do with my Google Home Mini, as I started using that again two days ago to stream Pandora when I work out.

Dunno

0 Kudos

Lex1
Underground

2008.1 Android Tuner 2008.1RC6

It has started happening recently, and last night while we were sleeping, it suddenly started playing again in the middle of the night. I uninstalled it last night, and just reinstalled it this morning, but this has got to stop or I will uninstall it permanently.

And apparently this has been happening since 2017 and you guys have done freaking NOTHING to fix the issue...( Google Search on this topic) On top of this you guys are taking the user's money and just asking the same freaking questions again and again about the carrier and all that.

Has there even been an effort to try to fix this issue that is happening on both Android and iOS?

mod edit: format

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

@Lex1 Thanks for your feedback. I understand your frustration. In the meantime, I've shared your account info, feedback, and device details with our engineering team. Rest assured, your voice has been heard. The engineers are aware of this issue and are working on it.

Appreciate you taking the time to post about this. 🎧

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hey @FatBuddhaBoo! Thanks for posting to community and sorry to hear this is happening.

I moved your most over to an existing thread (Music plays without being prompted at random times) in our Android board since it seems this is happening at home versus in your car with Android Auto. 

I've shared the device info that you posted (thank you) with our engineers. We appreciate your patience while we investigate. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Musicalgirl
Local Performer

I hate this. I hear others are experiencing this too. It keeps auto playing. Don't tell me anything about Bluetooth, that's turned off. I'm sorry but I've seen others say about this problem but the companies responses are the same even though all of them say it's not working. Please fix this, I might just uninstall if this always happens

0 Kudos

Austino
Local Performer

Been using Pandora daily for the last 10 years. This has been happening to me nightly on my pixel 2 XL. I uninstalled Pandora after the 7th time today that this happened. I just cancelled my premium, going to use another premium service for my music moving forward. Absolutely ridiculous that a music app would have this bug, what lazy engineering.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @Musicalgirl. 👋

I understand where you're coming from with this. Your post was moved to this existing thread as you're encountering a similar issue: Music plays without being prompted at random times 

In the meantime, I've reported your information / feedback to our engineering team. 

0 Kudos

Musicalgirl
Local Performer

Thank you so much. I'm sorry if I sounded rude, it was just annoying. I trust that your team will solve this soon 😊