cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music plays without being prompted at random times

devmonkey22
Opening Act

Anyone else have their Pandora app on Android randomly start playing music after they paused it a while ago (some times ~15 minutes, if not hours later?) Of course it unpauses and blasts music at the worst times like work meetings or when I'm on the phone.

I've had this happen mostly on my Android Samsung Galaxy tablet, but now this morning on my Galaxy S8 phone with Pandora version 1910.1 (Android Tuner 1910.1RC12).  Strangely, the phone started playing music while I was already listening to Pandora over the web (guessing it hadn't detected the "other" listener yet.

My best guess is its like the "Pause Live TV" cable box feature where if you pause too long and the buffer fills, it automatically unpauses because it runs out of memory and needs to start playing the recorded content.

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora

Hey there! 👋

We have received reports that some listeners are still encountering their music playing without being prompted at random times after updating to 2009.1 or later, and the troubleshooting steps don't help resolve this issue. We've informed our engineering team of this issue.

Please post your comment in this thread: Music plays without being prompted after 2009.1 or later

Our engineering team is aware of this issue. Feel free to include the following info in your post so that we can share this on the internal ticket we have open for reports on app version 2009.1 or later.

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Thanks so much for your help with this. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

View solution in original post

128 Replies

ELD
Underground

so once I play the app will not shut down unless I force close , it will not allow me to close from tray I uninstall the app for a month reloaded today same issue ,if I do not force close it will run in the background always then randomly start playing ?? Also tried uninstall reinstall before no help Spotify seems to work fine and closes after I stop using it ,I have the family plan but do not want to have to keep remembering to force close the app Running pixel 3 android 10 now but also was happening on 9

AdamPandora

@ELD Nice to see you around the community!

To clarify, does the app still randomly start playing on its own after exiting from the Recent Apps menu?

You can exit the app by navigating to the Recent Apps menu, finding the Pandora app and then swiping it away.

If so, I recommend running through the troubleshooting steps listed on this page

Let me know.

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

ELD
Underground

I have done these steps but it will not close , I can open the app then close it from background it goes out of the tray and then back on the only way to close it is force close other wise its always running and will start playing at some point 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@ELD Sorry to hear those steps didn't help.

I'd like to report your issue to our engineering team. Can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Carrier:
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
  • If you can open Pandora, go to Settings and scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
  • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or 3G/4G when this is happening?
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Let me know what you can find out. We really appreciate your help with this.

ELD
Underground

Sure 

• Build QP1A.190711.020.C3
  • Android 10 patch level Setp 5 2019
  • Pandora Version 1909.2 
  • Happens on Wi-Fi or 4 G 
  • I do use it with Android Auto but also anytime I open the app force close is the only way to turn it off or keep it from runing in the background 
  • Pixel 3 started about 6 months ago 
0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@ELD Thanks for writing back with that.

I've sent this over to our engineers. This information is really valuable, and helps us determine what might be happening.

I know this has been a frustrating issue, and I can assure you we are working on a resolution.

We really appreciate your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @devmonkey22.

Welcome to the community! 

I haven't seen any reports of this particular issue from my end. 

Have you tried out our troubleshooting steps for Android devices yet? If not, I would recommend checking out this helpful article to see if these steps address the issue you're experiencing.

Let me know if it helps.

0 Kudos

devmonkey22
Opening Act

I have uninstalled the app, reinstalled, and cleared data too. I'll keep an eye on it.

0 Kudos

devmonkey22
Opening Act
It just unpaused itself again, even after reinstalling and the steps you mentioned. I had last played it about 8 hours ago, and was actually listening to my account from another machine (my desktop) when it started to play, causing the "Someone else is listening" prompt on my desktop.
0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hey @devmonkey22 Sorry to hear that. I have some follow up questions for you. 

• Do you have any Bluetooth accessories like speakers, smartwatches, or a car connected to your phone?
  • Did you finish a Premium Access session recently?
  • Can you let me know the Pandora version you're currently on?

Thanks for the help. 🎧

Tanner | Community Moderator

0 Kudos

AAtwood
Local Performer

I am having same issue with Pandora playing unprompted in the middle of the night  I don't have any Bluetooth devices. It is happening after a premium session was played earlier in the day. Version 1910.2

0 Kudos

devmonkey22
Opening Act
No, my Bluetooth is off on my tablet. I don't think I finished a Premium access recently, but I noticed that ability is a little more subtle lately. I'm on Android version 1910.2C11.
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

@devmonkey22 Thanks for providing those helpful details.

I've reported your info to our engineering team for further review. 

Could you also try updating to latest version of the Pandora app - 1910.3?

++

@AAtwood Please try updating to the newest version of the app on your device.

If you still have trouble, would you mind sharing the following info about your device?

• Model:
  • Wireless Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):

Let me know so I can report your info to our engineers as well.

0 Kudos

devmonkey22
Opening Act
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-P580 (Android 8.1.0, Kernel 3.18.14-14823999, only wifi) as well as a Samsung Galaxy S8 XM-G950U (Android 9, Kernel 4.4.153-16125356 on PagePlus/Verizon) that it has happened on randomly too. It looks like both devices auto-updated to 1910.3 since my last post.

AlyssaPandora

@devmonkey22 Thanks so much for sharing those details. I've shared your experience and device info with our engineering team. Your patience is much appreciated while they look into this issue. 

0 Kudos

TWolfPandora
Pandora
Pandora

Hey @devmonkey22,

When Pandora starts auto playing randomly, do you hear any prompt or see anything in the app interface related to being in offline mode? 

TWolf | Senior Software Engineer

devmonkey22
Opening Act

No, no other notifications or prompts that I saw.  No chime about being in or out of offline mode either.

Even with the 1910.3 update, it just happened to my tablet again. I listened to Pandora the morning of 11/6 (Wednesday). No bluetooth connected. Then I left out of town Wednesday night until 11/7 evening (Thursday), leaving my tablet behind. When I came home, my tablet's Pandora was playing music for who knows how long.

0 Kudos

mada2885
Underground

I'm having the same issue on a Google Pixel 2 XL running Android 10 and Pandora Plus with app version 1910.3.  Mine does pretty much the same thing where it starts playing after last being used anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or so.  I do use Android Auto but I haven't narrowed down if that is related.  I've had to remember to turn my phone volume off so it doesn't start blasting music while I'm at work.

TannerPandora

Hi @mada2885 Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. 

Other than Android Auto, do you have any other bluetooth devices connected to your phone: speakers, headsets, watches?

Thanks for being part of community! 🎧

Tanner | Community Moderator

0 Kudos