cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music plays without being prompted at random times

devmonkey22
Opening Act

Anyone else have their Pandora app on Android randomly start playing music after they paused it a while ago (some times ~15 minutes, if not hours later?) Of course it unpauses and blasts music at the worst times like work meetings or when I'm on the phone.

I've had this happen mostly on my Android Samsung Galaxy tablet, but now this morning on my Galaxy S8 phone with Pandora version 1910.1 (Android Tuner 1910.1RC12).  Strangely, the phone started playing music while I was already listening to Pandora over the web (guessing it hadn't detected the "other" listener yet.

My best guess is its like the "Pause Live TV" cable box feature where if you pause too long and the buffer fills, it automatically unpauses because it runs out of memory and needs to start playing the recorded content.

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
128 Replies

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @Medic213 @Grimdesigns. 👋

I haven't seen any reports of this since early March. Thanks so much for posting on this thread with your experiences. 

Could you please provide more details so I can open a new ticket for our engineering team to investigate?

• Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Let me know. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

shadow_rooster
Local Performer

Hi Alyssa,

This happened to me last night. I had been connected to a bose micro speaker, which was turned off. I don't know what order I turned off/paused. The app was still open on my phone, but station was paused. Phone is usually connected to home wifi. Pandora started up about 2 hours after I stopped it (and went to sleep!)

Carrier: AT&T

Android Version: 7.1.2

Build number: 8f6ba1a9449264cc6fdad0f4bc921e33

Android security patch level: May 5, 2018

Pandora version: 2002.1

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @shadow_rooster. 👋

Appreciate you sharing this helpful information. Sorry that this is happening - I know this can be frustrating.

If you're able to, could you try updating the Pandora app on your Android phone to app version 2003.2?

1. Open the Google Play Store app.
  2. Touch the menu icon in the upper left and select My apps & games.
  3. Apps with available updates are labeled Update.
  4. Choose any appropriate apps and tap Update.

Tip: In some cases, you may need to restart your device to update an app.

Let me know if the issue occurs with the update. 

0 Kudos

JenP
Local Performer

SAME ISSUES....Opened up the App for the 1st time in awhile.  Listened to a few songs around 8 pm last night.  3 am this morning....music blaring on my phone from the Pandora app.  My husband was not impressed, nor was I.  

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @JenP. 👋

I completely understand how frustrating that must've been. Thanks so much for reporting your issue on the community.

If you haven't already, I would recommend trying out these steps.

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Pandora version:
    • Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.

Let me know about the device info so that I can share this with engineering.

0 Kudos

FlameStrike
Underground

Tracfone, model A574BL running Android 7.1.1 and Pandora 2003.2

I've had several experiences with Pandora spontaneously playing after being silent for several hours. Last night was by far the worst yet. After going to sleep listening to Pandora, setting the sleep timer for 60 minutes, I was awakened by Pandora blasting music, at what I could swear was a significant increase in volume from the setting I had gone to sleep with.

After being awake for 21 hours, Pandora jolted me awake after less than 5 hours, 4 of which were after the sleep timer expired. Please fix this. 

If it helps, the time was awakened was around midnight. I don't know if there's any significance to the timing, but maybe that will help. 

AdamPandora

@FlameStrike It may help to run through the troubleshooting steps listed here

If you continue to experience issues with this, can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Do you have any Bluetooth accessories like speakers, smartwatches, or a car connected to your phone?
  • Have you used Bluetooth or cast recently?

Let me know, and I can share this with our team.

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

FlameStrike
Underground

No, I have not used Bluetooth recently nor have I ever used a casting feature. I do have some earphones and a keyboard paired with the phone, but as I said I have not used them recently.

On a side note, I seriously doubt the troubleshooting steps will help as it does not seem to have helped anyone else here, unless I missed something earlier, but I will take a look at them and see. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@FlameStrike Sounds good - if you continue to experience issues with this after running through those troubleshooting steps, definitely reach back out and let us know. 

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Badyz125
Underground

If I use Pandora on Android auto then get out of the car, next time I open an app such as my camera, SMS or any other app, Pandora starts playing at full volume.  I have to open pandora (it's not open when playing), wait for it to load then swipe it closes to turn off the **ahem** music.  There have been complaints about this for years, Google search it.  I have a Google pixel 3, premium Pandora account.  **ahem** has done this to me for a year.  I have done all the troubleshooting bs, I always have the latest version.  You can reply with the fix or I will cancel my account.  This **ahem** opening in the middle of the night because I get an email or screaming music while I'm trying to work is garbage.  I so want to keep Pandora but this is it.

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @Badyz125. 👋

I understand your frustration with this. We've seen some new reports of this issue reappear this month and have shared this with engineering. I'd like to share your experience on the ticket we have open with them.

If you don't mind helping out, please provide this info:

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Pandora version:

Appreciate your help with this!

0 Kudos

radiocycle
Local Performer

Same thing happening to our Moto X4.

radio

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey there, @radiocycle. 👋

I've enabled a trace on your Pandora account to better determine what's happening, in case we need to pass this information over to our engineering team.

I would recommend checking out @AdamPandora's post here and running through the linked troubleshooting steps.

Let me know if these steps help with the issue you're experiencing. 🎧

0 Kudos

ELD
Underground

Done all the steps uninstalled for a few months 

Just install again 3 weeks ago same old thing still running in the background until I force close it 

Do once I am done just have to force close to kill it 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

@ELD Thanks for the follow up. 

Are you still using your Pixel 3 device on Android 10?

Also, which Pandora Version are you on?

• Go to Settings and scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.

Appreciate your help with this!

0 Kudos

ELD
Underground

Now have the Pixel 4 Pandora version 2004.2 it looks like 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

@ELD In your original post, you mentioned that if you don't force close the app, it will randomly play later on.

Do you also use any Bluetooth or casting devices? 

Does this issue specifically happen after casting or at any time?

Thanks again for the helpful information. I'm going to reopen the original ticket we had and share your updated info with our engineering team.

0 Kudos

ELD
Underground

I cast to my Google home speaker some but mainly use my blue tooth headset  

The main thing I use is android auto that's also when it happens every time using headset about 90% of the time I have to force close to turn off 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Thanks for the helpful details, @ELD.

I've reported your follow up information to our engineering team. While I know this is a frustrating issues, I really appreciate your patience during this time.

0 Kudos

inkedsquid2
Local Performer

Same annoying **ahem** going on here. Went from S8 to Note 10 with no changes. Always have to go in and force stop Pandora, otherwise it just does it's own thing. Not sure why there isn't a fix for this yet.... Especially for an app that gets paid for.

0 Kudos