cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music plays without being prompted at random times

devmonkey22
Opening Act

Anyone else have their Pandora app on Android randomly start playing music after they paused it a while ago (some times ~15 minutes, if not hours later?) Of course it unpauses and blasts music at the worst times like work meetings or when I'm on the phone.

I've had this happen mostly on my Android Samsung Galaxy tablet, but now this morning on my Galaxy S8 phone with Pandora version 1910.1 (Android Tuner 1910.1RC12).  Strangely, the phone started playing music while I was already listening to Pandora over the web (guessing it hadn't detected the "other" listener yet.

My best guess is its like the "Pause Live TV" cable box feature where if you pause too long and the buffer fills, it automatically unpauses because it runs out of memory and needs to start playing the recorded content.

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
128 Replies

AlyssaPandora

Hey there, @inkedsquid2. 👋

Thanks for sharing your experience on the community. I completely understand your frustration. A new ticket has been opened for this issue and I can add your information as well.

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.

++

• Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Do you also use any Bluetooth or casting devices? 
  • Does this issue specifically happen after casting or at any time?

Appreciate your help with this! 

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

inkedsquid2
Local Performer
  • Model: Note 10+
  • Carrier: Verizon
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): Rev 1.0
  • Pandora version:
    • Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number. 2004.2.1

++

• Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening? It happens on both
  • Do you also use any Bluetooth or casting devices? Yes
  • Does this issue specifically happen after casting or at any time? At time, casting or not.
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

@inkedsquid2 Just updated the ticket with all of the info you've provided.  I understand how inconvenient this is, and appreciate you taking the time to speak up. 

Thanks for your patience while we work on this! 

0 Kudos

FlameStrike
Underground

This has happened several times since I last posted. This is an ongoing problem and your troubleshooting steps have not been helpful. Given that this has been an issue for years now, I have to wonder if this is even being worked on. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @FlameStrike. 👋

I completely understand your frustration with this. I'm very sorry that you're still experiencing this. 

Could you confirm which version of the Pandora app you're currently using?

Let me know, and I can share this info with engineering on your behalf.

0 Kudos

Badyz125
Underground

Pixel 3, Verizon, 10, 2004.2.1

Getting worse.  Last night was about 10 minutes after I put the kids to bed - totally awesome time to have your phone screaming some Ted Nugent.  Today as I type this I am in my conference room at the office.  10 minutes ago my employees were graced with AC/DCs Whole Lotta Rosie at full volume.  

AlyssaPandora

@Badyz125 Thank you for providing this information.

I've updated the open ticket we have for this issue with the helpful details you've shared on this thread. Appreciate your patience during this process. 🎧

0 Kudos

JazzyGirl28
Local Performer

Hi there!

The same thing just started happening with me as well. Hoping you all could help me with this so I do not have to delete the app.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Heyt here, @JazzyGirl28. 👋

I'm very sorry that you're running into this issue too.

• Could you try out the steps in my message here?
  • Also, does this happen after casting to another device or using a Bluetooth connection earlier in the day (ex. car, TV, speaker)?

If you still have trouble, please provide the requested info. I can report this to our engineering team as they are still investigating this particular issue.

I look forward to hearing back! 🎧

0 Kudos

alemieux0
Local Performer

I am also having the same issue. I have had it for a long time. Pixel 2 xl. Android 10, all up to date. This is a pain in the **ahem** bug.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey there, @alemieux0. 👋

I understand the frustration with this bug.

If you could provide the requested details here, this would be extremely helpful.

Let me know so that I can report this accurately to our engineering team.

Appreciate your help with this! 🎧

0 Kudos

ELD
Underground

Here is what it looks like in memory before I force close it compared to Spotify Screenshot_20200514-002306.pngScreenshot_20200514-113724.png

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thanks for the screenshots @ELD. This is a new one for me. I'm going to follow up with some colleagues. 

It seems like the app is running even when its backgrounded. Can you do me a favor and check your Android settings and let me know if there is any restrictions enabled. 

To do that:

Go to your Android Settings, then Apps & Notifications, then Pandora. From there, tap Advanced > Battery >Background restriction.

Thanks!

Tanner | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

ELD
Underground

No it has no restrictions  can use battery in background 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thanks for checking @ELD- I'll ask around and get back to you on this. 👍🏻

+++

Hi @ELD - just wanted to let you know i passed your screenshots along to the engineering team. They are very helpful in their continued investigation into this. 

Thanks for your continued patience! 

0 Kudos

JeffK
Local Performer

I've had this same issue. But I've also had it with Spotify. Both seem to coincide with me starting to use Android Auto to play music in my car.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey there, @JeffK. 👋

I've shared your feedback with our engineering team. 

Would you mind providing your device details?

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Pandora version:
    • Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for your help with this! 🎧

0 Kudos

HighTechAngelSr
Local Performer

I'm having this issue for the last two months but after it did it a couple of times I decided to not pause it anymore when I stop listening; instead I close the app. However, sometimes I forget that I have paused it and guess what's the time that it picks to resume the playing... 3:30 am, 5:00 am. It's insane.

BTW, I'm using an old Galaxy S5 which is not my actual cell phone, I just have it for recording videos or taking photos and playing Pandora.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Sorry to hear this @HighTechAngelSr.

We are aware of an issue where this may happen and are currently investigating the cause. I'd like to add your info to our ticket. 

Could you let me know the following?

• Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi only?
  • Is the phone connected to bluetooth devices, such as speakers?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos

mmarshall76
Local Performer

I've having the same problem and I think it has to do with a Premium session ending after the device has been paused for a while.  When a Premium session ends there's a chime that plays and then it returns you to the station you were listening to before the Premium session started.  I know my phone is about to start playing randomly because it chimes out of nowhere and I make a mad dash to shut it off before it starts blasting music.  What I think is happening is that there is a "token" for your Premium session that is set to timeout after a certain period of time even if the device is paused.  A Premium session lasts about 30 minutes or so.  If you pause it you can resume the session but you can't pause it forever.  Therefore I think what's happening is the Premium session eventually timesout and that's why it happens randomly after you've been listening - the session timesout, the chime happens telling you the session ended, and then it returns to the previous station.  I'm not a developer but I do have a computer science background and this is logically what makes sense to me based on my experiences with it.  I haven't tested it and I could be completely wrong but as I said, based on what happens normally and what happens when it autoplays this makes sense and could be worth investigating. 

0 Kudos