cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music plays without being prompted at random times

devmonkey22
Opening Act

Anyone else have their Pandora app on Android randomly start playing music after they paused it a while ago (some times ~15 minutes, if not hours later?) Of course it unpauses and blasts music at the worst times like work meetings or when I'm on the phone.

I've had this happen mostly on my Android Samsung Galaxy tablet, but now this morning on my Galaxy S8 phone with Pandora version 1910.1 (Android Tuner 1910.1RC12).  Strangely, the phone started playing music while I was already listening to Pandora over the web (guessing it hadn't detected the "other" listener yet.

My best guess is its like the "Pause Live TV" cable box feature where if you pause too long and the buffer fills, it automatically unpauses because it runs out of memory and needs to start playing the recorded content.

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
128 Replies

AlyssaPandora

No worries, @Musicalgirl - it can definitely be frustrating.

The community moderators @TannerPandora @AdamPandora and myself report all bugs / issues over to our engineering team to investigate further. With Android devices, it can be tough because there are several different manufacturers and device types.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and for reporting this! 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

Chelseyj
Local Performer

My phone also starts playing at random times. I love pandora because it is set up to play in my car so I do not want to get rid of it. I can exit out of the pandora app completely and it will still start playing at random. 

0 Kudos

Stormy
Local Performer

Recently nothing has changed on my phone no new apps or anything.

Pandora starting up immediately after closing.  Even if I restart the phone or force stop pandora it will randomly start playing at the most inconvenient times.  I'm pandora premium user so it is very frustrating having a major issue with something I'm making monthly payments on.  I would like this issue fixed soon as possible please and thank you. 

Phone model- SM-J727T

ANDROID VERSION- 8.1.0

Pandora-2008.1 RC6

0 Kudos

njmeissner
Local Performer

Same trouble here and I had the issue in the past with different phones and thought it was just the phone itself. Tried entire factory resets but no dice (eventually I had to uninstall it completely). The strange thing is that my wife's phones have been the exact models and have never had this specific issue with Pandora.

I use my Pandora account in the car with Android Auto. It seems like 1-8 hrs later it will unpause/reopen randomly. Not sure if it is directly connected to the Auto use or not or perhaps it is something related to my account. It seems to occur more often recently in the last few months.

Model: Samsung A50
Carrier: Straight Talk/Verizon
Android version: 10, kernel 4.14.62-18262147
Pandora version: 2008.1

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @Stormy @Chelseyj @njmeissner @Austino👋

Thanks so much for providing those details. I do understand how frustrating this can be. Rest assured, I've shared your information with our engineering team. 

Appreciate you taking the time to report this. Thank you for your patience during this process! 🎧

0 Kudos

Jae86
Local Performer

So I just bought my new Note 10 (NOT THE PLUS) Like not even 2 months ago. But for last few weeks out of no where my pandora just start playing. I thought I was the wigit so I removed it but it keep going.. no Bluetooth on or anything. I have completely Uninstaller it and reinstall same problem. Last night it went off out of nowhere while I was sleep. Why does this keep happening?

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @Jae86. 👋

Sorry to hear this is happening. I moved your post over to this existing thread to keep the community space tidy: Music plays without being prompted at random times 

Your information has been passed over to our engineering team. They're currently working on this. 🛠

0 Kudos

tigerman6017
Local Performer

I purchased a new car a few months ago, and I began having similar problems other people have reported with Pandora randomly unpausing and beginning to play. I will sometimes use Android Auto to play my music in the car, and sometimes I'll use BlueTooth. I believe (I haven't confirmed this to be true) that the problem occurs after I've disconnected from my car when I use Android Auto. It doesn't ALWAYS happen though, so I haven't been able to link it to any specific scenarios that would be causing the issue. I do have other BlueTooth devices connected to my phone... I'm always connected to my smart watch, and I sometimes connect to a head set or external speaker. I have noticed that Pandora will sometimes randomly unpause after I use my phone to take a call or read a text message, but I never go into the Pandora app or accidentally hit a button to cause it to play. I have confirmed that "Launch from car" was turned off. I don't know what other settings could be causing this issue. I don’t have premium, but I have used it before… it’s been a few years.

Model: Pixel 2
Carrier: Verizon
Android version (Settings > About Phone): 10, kernel version 4.4.210.g4fecde07e68d, build number QQ3A.200805.001
Pandora version: 2008.1 (ANDROID-TUNER 2008.1RC6)

0 Kudos

DrT
Local Performer

OK I thought I would toss my hat in this ring.  I have an S8 that is a few years old now running Android 9 (security patch Jun 2020 Release 1)
and Pandora version 2008.1 (Android tuner 2008.1RC6)

I NEVER connected or play Pandora through my car or any other device.  All auto play and such settings in Pandora are off and my Android OS is not set to play Pandora or any other app.  The only time my phone should play any audio is when I tell it to and 99% of the time the only thing I "play" on my phone are audio books.  Starting a week or so ago, Pandora will randomly start playing.  I have NO specific event I can tie it to.  Literally sitting at my desk at home for hours and it just starts or the other day I was at my actual office and left my phone on my desk when I went out on the floor and a co-worked came by later and mentioned my phone was playing music.  Please note that my last sound playing app was NOT Pandora in any of these cases and Pandora was not even open in the background (at least not in the 'active' app selection window) as I like to use my headphones and click the action button to start/stop my audiobook and so I make sure Pandora is not open so it doesn't start/stop pandora.  It is also NOT tied to when I get into or out of my car, connect bluetooth headphones (I almost always use old fashioned plug style), or any other event I can figure.  But that said, my bluetooth is on and use it to connect to my computer and car audio (again to play my audiobook) but it doesn't appear to be tied to either of those as it doesn't happen getting in or out of my car nor with does it appear to happen with respect to getting near or far from my computer. 

0 Kudos

ronjoseph1
Local Performer

moto g6 play, android At&t

0 Kudos

Binary
Local Performer

I am having the same issues as everyone else on my Razer phone 2 for about 2-3 weeks. I have had numerous devices connected to my phone via Bluetooth and never had this issue before. However, in my case, I recently reconnected my Chromecast to my home network and that is around the same time this creepy issue aroused for me. Dunno if it helps but just figured I'd throw it out there

0 Kudos

amandapatterson
Local Performer

past 2 weeks same thing for me. its usually late at night at full blast it decides to start playing. I listen to the app at work on bluetooth ear buds but the buds stay at work. I completely close out of pandora so when it randomly starts up middle of the night i have to go into the app and force close it that way. its so annoying to be woken up in the middle of the night because my app decides to open up. I am on an S10 with the latest update and i am in the process of reinstalling pandora to see if its a setting, which i highly doubt since this has been ongoing for several years but just seems to be a bigger problem now. 

0 Kudos

coreym77
Local Performer

Providing info to help solve the "Random Music Playing" issue:

Model: Galaxy Note 8

Carrier: T-Mobile

Android version (Settings > About Phone): 9

Pandora version: 2008.1 (Android-Tuner 2008.1RC6)

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @Binary @DrT @ronjoseph1 @amandapatterson @coreym77. 👋

I've shared all of the information you've provided with the appropriate party. Thanks for your help with this, and for your patience while this is worked on. 

NumbGnat
Local Performer

Just chiming in. It's been doing the same thing for me for the past few weeks.

Google Pixel XL

Android 10

Build: QP1A.191005.007.A3

Ironically, it just started up while I was typing this. I'll take a bug report. Let me know how I can get it to you confidentially..? 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @NumbGnat. 👋

Thanks for the info! You can private message me directly, if possible. 📬

To do that, click on the envelope near your profile. From there, you can send PMs.

0 Kudos

lsteever
Local Performer

I have a premium account and it automatically plays whenever it wants too. How do I turn this off. It's getting to be annoying now after 2 weeks...

Thank you

0 Kudos

skeven
Local Performer

Just started using Pandora on my Pixel 3 on Android 10 and just had the app play music after turning off WiFi and cellular and setting my phone down to go to sleep. I used the app today to cast music to my Nest Home around 6 hours ago and did not force close the app, so it may have been running in memory.

I also regularly use Android Auto though that was not used today, so don't think that was a factor. It also has not connected to any bluetooth devices since yesterday.

Running latest version, 2008.1

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey ya'll. 👋 

Sorry for the continued trouble.

@skeven Thanks so much for sharing your device details. I've passed this along to engineering. 

@lsteever I moved your post over to this existing thread: Music plays without being prompted at random times 

Our engineering team is aware of this issue and they are working on it. If you'd like to share your device info, please check out my post about the requested info to report over to engineering on your behalf. You can find that post here.

0 Kudos

CMUL
Local Performer

Yes, happens to me also, on Asus tablet. Very annoying. 

0 Kudos