cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Offline Mode Error "Cannot connect to Pandora"

Emjab
Local Performer

This issue just recently started, I'll be listening to music offline when it will stop working. I'll get an error message telling me that it cannot connect and to try again. It's been on both wifi and cellular data. Error message below. 

Screenshot_20210310-155018_Pandora.jpg

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it has not helped. My phone has not had a system update recently nor has the app. 

Is there anything being done about this currently? If I switch to online listening the app works just fine, but this costs me data that I do not want to use when I paid for premium. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Emjab. 👋

Thanks for letting us know about this. I would recommend trying out the troubleshooting steps to see if it helps resolve your issue. I've also enabled a trace on your Pandora account in case I need to share this with our device / engineering team.

From your Android Settings, please try clearing the Pandora app data using the following steps (not to worry, we'll keep track of your profile and collection for you):*

• Open your device Settings
  • Tap Apps
  • Scroll down to find Pandora
  • Select Storage
  • On the storage details page tap Clear Data.

Keep in mind that the steps for each Android device is slightly different. If you have a Pixel, you can find helpful steps here.

Please note that you will be asked to log into your account after completing these steps. Let me know how it goes.

*Pandora Premium and Premium Family listeners may need to re-download some of their offline content after this. Pandora Plus users, however, should receive that offline content again automatically. If you have any trouble with your offline stations after this, please let us know.

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

15 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Emjab. 👋

Thanks for letting us know about this. I would recommend trying out the troubleshooting steps to see if it helps resolve your issue. I've also enabled a trace on your Pandora account in case I need to share this with our device / engineering team.

From your Android Settings, please try clearing the Pandora app data using the following steps (not to worry, we'll keep track of your profile and collection for you):*

• Open your device Settings
  • Tap Apps
  • Scroll down to find Pandora
  • Select Storage
  • On the storage details page tap Clear Data.

Keep in mind that the steps for each Android device is slightly different. If you have a Pixel, you can find helpful steps here.

Please note that you will be asked to log into your account after completing these steps. Let me know how it goes.

*Pandora Premium and Premium Family listeners may need to re-download some of their offline content after this. Pandora Plus users, however, should receive that offline content again automatically. If you have any trouble with your offline stations after this, please let us know.

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

kendenny
Opening Act

I downloaded my Barenaked Ladies station but still can't listen to it offline. Whenever I lose my internet connection it automatically switches to my Floyd-Parsons station. It did that today and when I tried to switch it to my Barenaked Ladies station and was treated to 15 minutes of silence until I pulled into my driveway and my phone was able to connect to the wifi inside.

0 Kudos

kendenny
Opening Act

Evidently offline mode got disabled somehow (it used to be enabled). Now when I lose the internet connection I get a message that says "Could not connect to Pandora. Check your network connection and try again" with a "retry" button. There should also be a "go offline" button but there is none. When I try to re-enable offline mode I get "Error loading profile" when I tap the profile button. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@kendenny I moved your post over to the Android space.

You should be able to manually switch over to Offline Mode.

To listen offline from a mobile device:

1. Tap the Profile tab and then the Settings gear in the top right corner.
  2. Toggle Offline Mode on.

Once Offline Mode has been enabled, you will see only the content in your collection that has been downloaded for offline listening.

If you are still unable to switch to Offline Mode, can you please send me a screenshot of the error message you're seeing?

(Please note you won't be able to attach images via email - you will need to open this Community link in a web browser in order to provide attachments)

Thanks for working with me on this.

kendenny
Opening Act

Yes I can manually switch to offline mode if I'm not offline. Lot of good that does. Whenever I lose my connection it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes before it switches to offline mode. It also always switches to my Floyd-Parsons station. I would like to change the default station for offline mode. Is that possible?

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @kendenny. 👋

Thanks for your patience over the weekend. I can check on that for you. As far as I know, there isn't any default station setting when switching to offline mode.

Is the station it goes to your most listened to station or the last station listened to (when in offline mode)?

++

Device Details:

Sorry to hear that there's a lag when switching over to offline mode on your Android device. I can share this information with our tech team on your behalf.

It's helpful to know:

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number):
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Let me know and I can pass this along for you. 🎧

kendenny
Opening Act

Model: Samsung Galaxy S23

Carrier: T-Mobile

Android version: 1.3

Pandora version: I can't get to my profile page. When I tap it I get "Error loading profile".

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Pandora and there is no Pandora version on my profile -> settings page. I turned on offline mode and looked at my collection and it said I hadn't downloaded anything. I turned off offline and downloaded my Barenaked Ladies station. I went back offline and looked at my downloads and it still said I hadn't downloaded anything. Do I have to play the station for a while and it will download each song that it plays? I thought something was strange when I downloaded it and it only took two seconds to download.

mod edit: merged comments
0 Kudos

kendenny
Opening Act

Nothing in the thread works for me. Offline is impossible for me. I am really fed up with not being able to listen in my car.

Screenshot_20230613_130343_Pandora.jpg.  Screenshot_20230613_130627_Pandora.jpg

Screen shots of what I see when it should go into offline mode and then what I see when I try to access my profile.  This needs to be escalated. This is unacceptable. Nothing that you have said works. NOTHING.

I have downloaded my Barenaked Ladies station, but when I go to offline mode it doesn't show as available. I am a Pandora premium customer.

mod edit: merged comments

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @kendenny. 👋

Thanks so much for posting those helpful screenshots and for providing those additional details about what you've encountered during when transitioning to offline mode. 

While we don't have any new developments to report at this moment, your feedback and experience has been shared with our engineering team on an internal ticket for further review. We understand that this has been a challenging time, and we thank you for your patience during this process. 🎧

0 Kudos

kendenny
Opening Act

I am about to get in my car where I know I will lose connection on the way so I am going to go ahead and put it in offline mode before I lose the wifi. I'll let you know how it goes.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks, @kendenny.  Trying offline mode prior to leaving may help with the service interruption. Feel free to keep us in the loop on your progress. 🎧

0 Kudos

kendenny
Opening Act

That is a workaround. It should switch to offline mode automatically when I lose the connection. Also I only have three stations to choose from in offline mode. I've tried downloading another station but it doesn't show as available in offline mode.

None of these replies work. I tried to download my Barenaked Ladies station. It took all of 2 seconds and said that it had been downloaded. When I go offline and look at my stations that stations isn't there.

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

0 Kudos

kendenny
Opening Act

This issue is NOT resolved. Pandora used to automatically switch to offline mode when I lost the connection. It no longer does that. I have to manually switch to offline mode WHILE I'M STILL CONNECTED TO WIFI.

My Pandora is currently in shuffle mode. I'm going to leave it there and see if, when I lose the connection, it switches to offline mode. It's about a 15 minute drive home. I'm betting I'll be listening top silence for at least 8 minutes of that

mod edit: merged posts

0 Kudos

kendenny
Opening Act

Pandora used to switch to offline mode automatically. It no longer does so.

I have complained in other threads which seem to be ignored so I'm gonna start a whole new thread. I'm sure this is not happening for a lot of other Pandora customers. Here are some relevant points.

1. The problem may have started when I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile.

2. I used to lose the connection far less frequently. Now I have to listen in offline mode any time I'm in my car.

Losing connection used to happen far less frequently and when it did Pandora automatically switched to offline mode and went back online once the connection was reestablished. Any time I lose connection I have to manually switch to offline mode. Fortunately I am a Pandora premium customer (which I am reconsidering due to this issue) and can download as many stations as I want to be available to me in offline mode. Unfortunately I lose the option to play in shuffle mode which is what I do whenever I'm online\.

0 Kudos

mevans426
Local Performer

Hi, both I (Android) and my wife (iOS) have had the same issue when trying to launch the app when neither wifi nor cellular data are available. On launch the app says it cannot connect (as expected) but does not offer any way to get into the menus or offline mode so it could still be used with downloaded music. I can't imagine anyone would design an app this way so it must be an error, and I haven't found a specific solution by searching so can you help?

• Model: Nord OnePlus 5G
  • Carrier: Mint Mobile
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): 12
  • Pandora version: 2307.1
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

0 Kudos