Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

DracoDan
Opening Act
  • Model: Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6
  • Carrier: Verizon
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): The latest for the past 4 years since I started using Pandora...
  • Pandora version: Yep, always the latest

How to reproduce: 
1. Use Android Auto in Corvette (2016)
2. Turn off and exit car
3. Pandora starts playing immediately after my phone makes any sounds (such as notifications), no matter how long it has been.
This happens 100% of the time when I repeat these steps but does not happen again until I use Android Auto in my Corvette again.

Here's the really weird part though, when I use Android Auto in my Chevy Silverado (2020) this does NOT occur.

Things I have tried:
Buying a new phone
Reinstalling the App
Disabled Autolaunch in Android Auto
Disable all permissions for Pandora
Disable notifications from Pandora
Disabled "Launch from car" in Pandora Settings > Advanced > Bluetooth Devices
Begged
Cried...

I have zero confidence this will ever be fixed, especially with the HUGE number of people that have complained about this for YEARS.  I have been dealing with it myself since I started using Pandora regularly over 4 years ago.  At this point the only logical assumption is that either the developers are incompetent or they don't care, but who knows, maybe this will help them...

Labels (1)
133 Replies

mada2885
Underground

I had previously posted on this thread https://community.pandora.com/t5/Android/Music-plays-without-being-prompted-at-random-times/m-p/4870... but I can't seem to add anything else now.  This issue is still persisting for me and I now have a new phone; Pixel 4 XL running Android 10.  It seems to happen after disconnecting from Android Auto (which pauses Pandora), then later if I open an app such as the stock camera or Google Play Music Pandora playback will resume.  I'm not sure if there's a correlation but these apps both have hooks into media on the phone.  I've made a habit of keeping my system volume low so it doesn't blare when this happens but it's still pretty annoying.  Here are the technical details for my new phone:

Model: Google Pixel 4 XL
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Android version (Settings > About Phone): 10
Build number (Settings > About Phone): QQ1B.200105.004
Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone): January 1, 2020
Pandora version: 2001.1
Are you connected to Wi-Fi or 3G/4G when this is happening? Both

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @mada2885. 👋

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community. 

Sounds like you've run through the troubleshooting steps and reconnecting your phone / car.

I've gone ahead and reported these details to our engineering team for further review. 

When it's available, I would recommend updating the app to 2001.2 to see if the issue persists.

In the meantime, your patience is greatly appreciated as our engineering team continues to work diligently on this. 

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

y2112yz
Local Performer

I am having the same issue as @mada2885. I have the latest version 2002.1. I am on Android 10, kernel version 4.9.186. It usually happens when I disconnect from bluetooth in the car or get into the car and the app will start playing through the phone. If I dont force stop this is usually when it happens.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @y2112yz. 👋

Thanks for reporting this.

Could you try updating to 2002.2?

1. Open the Google Play Store app.
  2. Touch the menu icon in the upper left and select My apps & games.
  3. Apps with available updates are labeled Update.
  4. Choose any appropriate apps and tap Update.

Tip: In some cases, you may need to restart your device to update an app.

Let me know if this addresses the issue you're experiencing. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @Steven_Porter @DracoDan. 👋

Thanks so much for providing this information. I understand your frustration with this. 

I just checked in, and this issue should be fixed in Pandora App Version 2009.1 on Android devices.

If you haven't already, here's how to update the Pandora app on your Android device:

1. Open the Google Play Store app.
  2. Touch the menu icon in the upper left and select My apps & games.
  3. Apps with available updates are labeled Update.
  4. Choose any appropriate apps and tap Update.

Tip: In some cases, you may need to restart your device to update an app.

++

If you're able to confirm that you're on 2009.1 and still experiencing this, I will need to report this over to engineering. 

Pandora version:

• If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
  • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Thanks for your help with this. 🎧

DracoDan
Opening Act

Yes, the problem still exists.  My apps update automatically but just to be sure I checked and confirmed I was on 2009.1 then went through the steps recreate the problem.

One thing I want to retract from my original post, it doesn't always start playing after an alert sound (although that seems to be a very common trigger).  This time it started approximately 12 minutes after leaving my car while sitting on my desk.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Thank you for the update, @DracoDan.

I will share this with our Android engineers ASAP.

Appreciate you taking the time to let us know about this. 🎧

TannerPandora

Hi @DracoDan! My name is Tanner, I've been working with the engineers on this. 

We believed that this had been resolved with the release of 2009.1. To help investigate further I'd like to ask a favor. 

I've enabled a trace on your account to help us look into this. Can you please  clear the app data for Pandora, sign back in and then when this issue occurs again, to let me know the date and time it happened. 

To clear the app data*:

1. Open your device Settings
  2. Tap Apps
  3. Scroll down to find Pandora
  4. Select Storage
  5. On the storage details page tap Clear Data.

You will be asked to log into your account after completing these steps.

*Please note: Pandora Premium listeners may need to re-download some of their offline content after this. If you have any trouble with your offline stations after this, please let us know.

Thanks for your help with this!

Tanner | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

DracoDan
Opening Act

Done, it took right at 10 minutes, started immediately after I got a notification (the notification sound and the start of Pandora playing are nearly simultaneous).

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thanks for the follow up @DracoDan

You mentioned a notification, was it a message or just a sound (or both)? If it's a message, could you take a screenshot and send it over. 

Is your phone connected to any bluetooth devices other than your car?

In the meantime, I'll report this info back to our engineers that this is still occurring. 😓

DracoDan
Opening Act

The sound was my default notification sound and I had thought it was from an unrelated notification but I couldn't find a notification (email, text, hangouts etc) that matched the time the music started, so maybe it's Pandora actually making the notification sound.

No other bluetooth devices are connected.

0 Kudos

lwhitmarsh
Local Performer

I can confirm this issue is still present in version 2009.1 happening as recently as today on both a OnePlus 7T and a Google Pixel 3a

TannerPandora

Thanks for the follow up on your experiences @DracoDan and @lwhitmarsh.

I've created a new report with the updates and passed this along to our engineers so they can continue their investigation. 

Thanks for posting to community and please let us know of any changes that you notice. 👍🏻

albert-pender
Local Performer

I am also having this issue. I just got it again on 2009.1 after clearing data and logging back in.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @albert-pender. 👋

Thanks so much for letting us know, and sorry that this is happening. 

• What is the make and model of your device?
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):

Let me know as I'd like to share your info with our Android engineers. 🎧

0 Kudos

albert-pender
Local Performer

OnePlus 7Pro
Android 10

AlyssaPandora

Thank you, @albert-pender. 👍

This information has been passed along on your behalf to our engineers. 🎧

0 Kudos

DracoDan
Opening Act

Still having the problem.  At this point I don't know why you are asking people what phone/carrier/etc they have, the only thing everyone has in common is Pandora. 

I'm getting the suspicion that you guys can't fix this without changing some other functionality that you see as a market advantage (like the way you make it almost impossible to exit Pandora on mobile devices).

0 Kudos

sbsoccermom
Local Performer

My phone (Samsung Note 10+) does the same thing only I don't have to open up an app for Pandora to just start playing music again. Apparently this has been happening for more than a year and still haven't seen any solutions when I've researched this issue.

Phone info:

Model: Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G

Carrier: Verizon

Android version: 10

Build number: QP1A.490711.020.N976VVRU4DTH7

Security patch level: September 1, 2020

Pandora version: 2009.1

Always connected to 4G

0 Kudos