Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

DracoDan
Opening Act
  • Model: Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6
  • Carrier: Verizon
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): The latest for the past 4 years since I started using Pandora...
  • Pandora version: Yep, always the latest

How to reproduce: 
1. Use Android Auto in Corvette (2016)
2. Turn off and exit car
3. Pandora starts playing immediately after my phone makes any sounds (such as notifications), no matter how long it has been.
This happens 100% of the time when I repeat these steps but does not happen again until I use Android Auto in my Corvette again.

Here's the really weird part though, when I use Android Auto in my Chevy Silverado (2020) this does NOT occur.

Things I have tried:
Buying a new phone
Reinstalling the App
Disabled Autolaunch in Android Auto
Disable all permissions for Pandora
Disable notifications from Pandora
Disabled "Launch from car" in Pandora Settings > Advanced > Bluetooth Devices
Begged
Cried...

I have zero confidence this will ever be fixed, especially with the HUGE number of people that have complained about this for YEARS.  I have been dealing with it myself since I started using Pandora regularly over 4 years ago.  At this point the only logical assumption is that either the developers are incompetent or they don't care, but who knows, maybe this will help them...

Labels (1)
133 Replies

AdamPandora

@sbsoccermom It looks like the original author of this thread was running into an issue where Pandora would start playing after disconnecting from their car.

To clarify, are you running into a similar issue?

Or are you having trouble with the app starting on its own regardless of whether or not you were previously connected to a vehicle?

Let me know.

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

sbsoccermom
Local Performer

Yes, this is exactly my issue. I would hook my phone up to my phone via cable and use Auto Android to play Pandora. Then I would turn off my vehicle from either a short or long distance to destination. Pandora would not continue playing on my phone like it shouldn't. Doesn't even show that it's running in the background. Later - usually after 5 minutes but usually less than 15 minutes later - my phone would just start playing music. I would open up my phone and saw that pandora was playing even though it still showed no apps running in the background. I had to open up Pandora's app to turn it off. 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thanks for the follow up @sbsoccermom

I'd like to report your issue to our engineering team. Can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Model:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.

Thanks for the help!

Tanner | Community Moderator

0 Kudos

sbsoccermom
Local Performer

Phone info:

Model: Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G

Carrier: Verizon

Android version: 10

Build number: QP1A.490711.020.N976VVRU4DTH7

Security patch level: September 1, 2020

Pandora version: 2009.2

Always connected to 4G

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thank you @sbsoccermom! I've passed your info along to our engineers. 

We appreciate your patience in the meantime. 🙂

Tanner | Community Moderator

0 Kudos

Kp84
Local Performer

Same problem, been an issue for a while and literally in order to have a functioning phone that doesnt drain the hell out of my battery I have to completely freeze my app otherwise anytime I plug my phone into my car, the app starts running. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey there, @Kp84. 👋

Sorry that you're also experiencing this issue. I completely understand the frustration that this has caused.

If you don't mind, feel free to share the following information:

• Make and Model of Device:
  • Carrier:
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number): 

I'd like to report this over to our engineering team on your behalf. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

Beachbum022
Local Performer

If I pause Pandora before I turn off my Bluetooth speaker or turn off my car, Pandora doesn't surprise me with music randomly.  I seems to be a problem when disconnecting from Bluetooth/android auto, Pandora isn't pausing correctly or something.

AdamPandora

@Beachbum022 Thanks for sharing your experience.

It may help to run through the troubleshooting steps listed on our help page: Troubleshooting for Android Devices

If you continue to run into trouble with this, I'd like to report your feedback to our engineering team.

Can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Let me know what you can find out.

beaston
Local Performer

This is crazy. You're letting us believe that this issue has been going on for MONTHS and there's no solution? Something's not right here. I could understand if there was only one software engineer working on this, but you guys have teams of employees dedicated to solving issues such as these. I, as well as others, are going to end up simply going to find another streaming platform to use other than Pandora, as these are a dime a dozen.

I thought it was a fluke, but apparently it's not. There's no reason for it to unpause itself, and the common theme here is Android Auto for the most part. If your teams can't figure it out, then drop support for Android phones altogether.

Why, after you have confirmed the fact that it's a bug related to the pandora software, do you continue to guide people to perform the troubleshooting steps? This is NOT user error, nor is it a device or setting error. This is a software error.

FWIW, Galaxy A20

Carrier: T-Mobile

Wifi: Disabled

Bluetooth: Enabled

Near a Bluetooth device: No

Android 10

Pandora 2009.2

Android Auto: Yes (Although it unpauses itself after I have turned the car off and not in range anymore)

Note: This does NOT happen (obviously) when signed out of Pandora.

mod edit: format

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @beaston. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space.

If you're asked to perform the troubleshooting steps, the moderators enable a trace on Pandora accounts prior to the listener trying them out. This is helpful information for our engineering team while they work on this. Running through the steps are completely at your own discretion. Often times, the troubleshooting steps help resolve the issue.

With the release of 2009.1, multiple listeners reported that this issue was resolved. However, we have received some additional reports mentioning that this is still happening. We created this thread to track those reports.

Thank you for providing your feedback as well as the requested details. I've shared this with our Android engineers. This information is really valuable, and helps us understand what might be happening.

I know this has been a frustrating issue, and I can assure you we are working on a resolution. Unfortunately, the variety of Android models can lead to a longer resolution process, since we may need to create solutions that address each different phone and device.

We appreciate your patience during this process. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

beaston
Local Performer

Upon further searching of the forums here, I've found out this has been happening for over a year now. What gives?

And for the record, I have uninstalled Pandora and switched over to iHeartRadio. As well as not having this "problem" occur with them, their Android app has the ability to close the app with 1 click from the lock screen.

0 Kudos

DracoDan
Opening Act

So you opened a support ticket? How long is the turnaround on those tickets?  I usually have to have mine closed in 10 days or less (even for low priority tickets) at my job, I guess the Pandora devs are given a little more leeway?

0 Kudos

sp90378
Local Performer

Same issue here on my Pixel 4 XL.

• Model: Pixel 4 XL 64GB
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):11
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):RP1A.201105.002
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):Nov 5 2020
  • Pandora version:2010.1
    • Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
0 Kudos

AdamPandora

Thanks for reporting this, @sp90378.

I have sent your information along to our engineers as well. 

We appreciate your patience with this as they work to find a fix. 🛠 

0 Kudos

clint83
Local Performer

Here's my info...

Samsung Galaxy s9+
Verizon
Android 10 Security patch level 11-01-2020  Build #  QP1A.190711.020.G965USQS8FTJ6
Pandora 2010.1 (Android-Tuner 20101015)

Additional info that may or may not be relevant...

On 11-19-2020 I installed Verizon's System Update 26 to my phone

First happened 11-24-2020 at about 0845
Plays my James Taylor Radio station
Happened again on 11-25-2020 at 0841

I use Pandora, with James Taylor, with my phone's alarm clock, to start playing when the alarm goes off, but I have no alarms set

On approx 11-18-2020 I connected my phone with Microsoft Your Phone app to my computer...

I have a Samsung Watch3 connected to my phone

I have Xfinity wi-fi at home, and have a Google Home network

I do not use Android Auto

AdamPandora

@clint83 Thank you for reporting this.

I have added your info to the ticket we have open with our engineering team.

We appreciate your patience as they continue to look into this. 

hiwabo6844
Local Performer

I just experienced this issue this morning. Prior this occurrence, I have not used Pandora in at least a year. I can't remember exactly what I did just before it happened, but I just started hearing music, and found out it was Pandora. I thought Google Assistant had picked up some noise and caused Pandora to play. However, I checked my assistant history, and it was empty.

Model: Google Pixel 3a
Carrier: Family Mobile
Android version: 11
Android build number: RP1A.201105.002
Pandora version: 2010.1 (ANDROID-TUNER 20101015)

DracoDan
Opening Act

I bought a new phone so that I would stop having this problem since the admins here were so confident that it's related to the persons phone/carrier/zodiac sign.  I know this will blow your minds, but would you believe I'm still having the problem?!

• Model: Pixel 5
  • Carrier: Verizon Wireless
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): 11
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone): RD1A.200810.022.A4
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone): Oct 5 2020
  • Pandora version: 2010.1 (ANDROID-TUNER 20101015)

wildchildofgod
Local Performer

Lately when I "Ok Google" to request a timer, Pandora will also open and begin playback. It just started happening after I setup my Google Home & Assistant apps on my Samsung Galaxy A20 (the Boost Mobile only version). I do not recall utilizing any features regarding Pandora but of course it is possible I did. I do recall setting it as my default music player/provider  & it is my only music app outside of YouTube (music) which I've never activated or setup. I just don't understand why it'd not only play at the request of a timer when using "Ok Google", but why it'd randomly open like that at all when I've said nothing that remotely resembles "Ok Pandora". It's easy enough to shut off once it begins playing, it's just the sudden startle of loud Skullfist metal that gets me each time because I'm a huge movie buff and am most often mellowly perusing a newly started film. Anybody had this issue or something similar they were able to figure out? 

0 Kudos