Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

DracoDan
Opening Act
  • Model: Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6
  • Carrier: Verizon
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): The latest for the past 4 years since I started using Pandora...
  • Pandora version: Yep, always the latest

How to reproduce: 
1. Use Android Auto in Corvette (2016)
2. Turn off and exit car
3. Pandora starts playing immediately after my phone makes any sounds (such as notifications), no matter how long it has been.
This happens 100% of the time when I repeat these steps but does not happen again until I use Android Auto in my Corvette again.

Here's the really weird part though, when I use Android Auto in my Chevy Silverado (2020) this does NOT occur.

Things I have tried:
Buying a new phone
Reinstalling the App
Disabled Autolaunch in Android Auto
Disable all permissions for Pandora
Disable notifications from Pandora
Disabled "Launch from car" in Pandora Settings > Advanced > Bluetooth Devices
Begged
Cried...

I have zero confidence this will ever be fixed, especially with the HUGE number of people that have complained about this for YEARS.  I have been dealing with it myself since I started using Pandora regularly over 4 years ago.  At this point the only logical assumption is that either the developers are incompetent or they don't care, but who knows, maybe this will help them...

Labels (1)
133 Replies

Benjamin
Local Performer
  • Recently, Pandora (on my Galaxy S10) started to randomly play music . This is become such a problem I had to uninstall the application from the device 

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @DracoDan @Benjamin @wildchildofgod. 👋

Thank you for sharing your experience, and for providing those helpful details. I understand how inconvenient and frustrating this can be. 

We have an internal ticket open for this issue and our engineering team is still working on this. 

Your patience is much appreciated during this process. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

michaelm727
Local Performer

Recently I starting having issues of Pandora starting on it's own. I found this thread, so I hope my issues can be addressed. Within the last few days, I have noticed that Pandora auto launches itself and begins to play without prompts. I first noticed it when I command my Google home unit. After Google home completes the command, Pandora will start on it's own on my phone. 

I've also had it start on it's own when I receive text messages or other notifications. When I go to close the app, I noticed that it isn't even open, but it is playing. 

It looks like the version on my app is 2010.1. 

I'd appreciate some feedback, as this is extremely annoying and inconvenient! 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@michaelm727 Thank you for sharing your experience on the Community.

I have added your information to the ticket we have open with the engineers who are looking into this issue.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@hiwabo6844 Thank you for reporting this.

I have added your feedback to the ticket we have open with the engineers who are looking into this.

Thanks for your patience as they work to find a fix. 🛠

gencummings1988
Local Performer

I'm having the same issue except I'm not listening to Pandora I really rarely use the app and just like whenever I touch the volume buttons on the side of my phone to turn the volume down or whatever it just starts a song by itself on the phone I can't find the setting where it would change but I wouldn't even have Pandora up at all and it would just open up and start playing a song if I touch my volume buttons

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@gencummings1988 If you haven't already done so, please try running through these troubleshooting steps: Troubleshooting for Android Devices

If you continue to experience issues with this, I'd like to report your feedback to our engineering team. Can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Let me know what you can find out.

0 Kudos

CABE
Local Performer

Music started playing on android LG G8 cell phone when pandira is not open, it happened for the first time today 11.30.2020.

Model: LG G8 ThinQ

Carrier: Verizon

Android Version: 10

Pandora Version: 2010.1

Connected to Wi-Fi

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @CABE. 👋

Thanks so much for this helpful info. I've passed this along to our engineers. We have a ticket open for this issue and we're working on it. 

Appreciate your patience during this process. 🎧

0 Kudos

bkwadeny
Local Performer

Very similar for me.  Google Pixel 5 with Pandora loaded from Google Play Store last week.  If I say, "Hey Google, navigate to <whatever>", Google Maps launches and starts navigating, which is expected, but also Pandora starts playing some random song, which is unexpected.  So, of course, I want to stop the music.  So on the Pixel home screen I use the square button at bottom-right to show me the windows of the open apps, but the Pandora app is not even there for me to kill.  All the while the random song is still playing.  To get the music to stop I then have to launch Pandora from the Pixel home screen, and this shows me the Pandora app with the random song sure enough playing.  I then return to the Pixel home screen, then press the square button again, then find the Pandora window, then up-swipe to kill the Pandora app.  Only then will the music stop.  I had to uninstall Pandora.

0 Kudos

botchkin
Local Performer

My wife and I both have the same issue with our individual accounts. We are worried it is burning up data since we typically have our volumes down and do no notice it is playing until turning the volume up or logging into another device. We both had the Google Pixel 2 but she has now upgraded to the Pixel 4 (experiencing issues on all 3 phones). We both use android auto and typically experience the issue after driving somewhere and then 5-15 after getting out of the car. Pandora will just randomly start playing even if the phone is untouched in our pocket. I prefer to stay online but this can increase our bill and makes me want to force pandora to offline.

Model: Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 4
Carrier: Google Fi
Android version (Settings > About Phone): 11
Build number (Settings > About Phone): RP1A.201005.004 (Pixel 2)
Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone): 
Pandora version: 2010.1
Are you connected to Wi-Fi or 3G/4G when this is happening? Both

0 Kudos

botchkin
Local Performer

My wife and I often experience the same issue with our individual accounts. We are worried it is burning up data since we typically have our volumes down and do no notice it is playing until turning the volume up or logging into another device. We both had the Google Pixel 2 but she has now upgraded to the Pixel 4 (experiencing issues on all 3 phones). We both use android auto and typically experience the issue after driving somewhere and then 5-15 after getting out of the car. Pandora will just randomly start playing even if the phone is untouched in our pocket. I prefer to stay online but this can increase our bill and makes me want to force pandora to offline.

Model: Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 4
Carrier: Google Fi
Android version (Settings > About Phone): 11
Build number (Settings > About Phone): RP1A.201005.004 (Pixel 2)
Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone): 
Pandora version: 2010.1
Are you connected to Wi-Fi or 3G/4G when this is happening? Both

0 Kudos

jmee01
Local Performer

Getting the same auto-on bug on a Google Pixel 3XL running Android 11. 

0 Kudos

Tequilajade
Local Performer

I have a Google pixel 3a. My boyfriend just got the pixel 5. 

Whenever we tell google home tondo something, pandora will start playing on our phones. Tonight I said "ok google, turn off the upstairs lights" just like I have every night for the better part of a year. My phone, on the charger, in a different room entirely, with the doors closed between me and it, started blasting nickelback. 

This morning, my boyfriend told the google home to stream the morning news on the big screen(through the chromecast) and my phone, in the bathroom, door closed, fan on, started playing EDM at full volume. 

Yesterday, he asked google what the temperature was outside, and his phone, in his pocket, started some weird borderline homicidal music. (Will you love me if I kill for you.. ) creepy much? 

None of these songs/types are even in our playlists. Two different phones, 2 different pandora accounts. The only common denominator is asking "hey google" of our home. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @jmee01 @botchkin @bkwadeny. 👋

Thanks so much for providing those helpful details. We have existing thread about a similar issue (that is probably related) here: Music plays without being prompted after 2009.1 or later

In the meantime, I've shared your feedback and device information with our engineers. They are aware of this issue and are working on it.

Appreciate your patience! 🎧

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @Tequilajade @botchkin. 👋

Thanks so much for providing this info, and sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. 

I've reported this to our engineering team on your behalf. 

Appreciate your patience while they work on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

me4me2
Local Performer

A couple of days ago, my phone started randomly playing music on Pandora at full volume.  No reason, it just started playing while I was doing something else.  I had to go back to the app and turn it off.  I do not have it connected to my car because my car is old and doesn't have the capability to do it.  This is just on my phone, and so far it's only doing it on one phone, Galaxy A10E and the Pandora version is 2010.1 android tuner 20101015.  Unless I'm listening out of my wifi range, I don't use the mobile data on the phone, and I don't use the bluetooth unless I want to listen with earphones or a speaker.  Every time it's doing this, the bluetooth is off.  It looks like the glitch has been there for over a year, but this is the first time I've had this issue and I've had Pandora for years.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @me4me2. 👋

To keep everything organized, I moved your post over to this existing thread as we're tracking this issue here: Music plays without being prompted after 2009.1 or later

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience in depth. This is very helpful as our engineers work on this issue. I understand how frustrating this can be. Rest assured, we have an internal ticket open for this particular issue. All updates will be posted in this thread.

Thanks for your patience during this time. 🎧

0 Kudos

shopmrs
Local Performer

I am experiencing this too.  When I ask Google Assistant for ANY information, it answers but also starts playing Pandora.  This just started a few weeks ago.

Here is my info...

• Model: Galaxy S9
  • Carrier: Verizon
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):  10
  • Pandora version: 2010.1

It happens with both WiFi and cellular connections.

Michelle

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @shopmrs. 👋

Thanks so much for posting that information. I've updated the internal ticket we have open with the details you've provided.

Appreciate your patience while we work on this! 🎧