Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

DracoDan
Opening Act
  • Model: Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6
  • Carrier: Verizon
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): The latest for the past 4 years since I started using Pandora...
  • Pandora version: Yep, always the latest

How to reproduce: 
1. Use Android Auto in Corvette (2016)
2. Turn off and exit car
3. Pandora starts playing immediately after my phone makes any sounds (such as notifications), no matter how long it has been.
This happens 100% of the time when I repeat these steps but does not happen again until I use Android Auto in my Corvette again.

Here's the really weird part though, when I use Android Auto in my Chevy Silverado (2020) this does NOT occur.

Things I have tried:
Buying a new phone
Reinstalling the App
Disabled Autolaunch in Android Auto
Disable all permissions for Pandora
Disable notifications from Pandora
Disabled "Launch from car" in Pandora Settings > Advanced > Bluetooth Devices
Begged
Cried...

I have zero confidence this will ever be fixed, especially with the HUGE number of people that have complained about this for YEARS.  I have been dealing with it myself since I started using Pandora regularly over 4 years ago.  At this point the only logical assumption is that either the developers are incompetent or they don't care, but who knows, maybe this will help them...

Labels (1)
133 Replies

Dani24
Local Performer

I have the same issue. Pandora version 2010.1.  Phone is pixel4a (2020), android version 11.

The Pandora app would randomly launch and start playing. I've uninstalled, restarted my phone and reinstalled and the issue persists.

0 Kudos

i1mjm03
Local Performer

Just throwing adding my info since this just started happening on my Pixel 2:

• Android version: 11
  • Build number: RP1A.201005.004
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone): Not noted.
  • Pandora Version: 2010.1

Additionally:

• Are you connected to WiFi or cellular data when this is happening?
    WiFi
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?
    The Pandora app is isn't "running in the background." The only way I'm able to stop it, aside from turning the phone off, is to tell Google Assistant to "stop." I don't use Android Auto  and don't have Android Auto on my phone.
  • Do you have any Bluetooth accessories like speakers, smartwatches, or a car connected to your phone? Yes, Soundcore Life Q20 headphones and a Pocket Kick Speaker. All headphones/speakers were turned off when music began playing via phone speaker. Pandora app hadn't been opened since the last time my phone was turned off.
  • Have you used Bluetooth or cast recently?
    Bluetooth was enabled but no devices were connected.
0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@i1mjm03 I have added. your info to the ticket we have open with our engineers.

Thanks so much for your patience as they continue to look into this.

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Benjamin
Local Performer

This has been happening on my Galaxy S10 (Pandora version 2010.1) for the past  months. This has become so annoying; I have decided to uninstall Pandora and am considering canceling my subscription. The last thing anyone wants in the middle of a business meeting is to have your phone start blasting music.

0 Kudos

JBids
Local Performer

No apps open on my pixel. All of a sudden Pandora starts playing LOUDLY. Phone does not show any apps active. Have to go to Pandora app and open it to stop it. I'm not in my car, or exiting my car or near my car when this happens as has been suggested in other replies. Going to have to remove from my phone if I can't find a way to stop it.

Laurie_scooby
Local Performer

Pixel 5.  Any time I complete a verbal "Hey Google" command (unrelated to Pandora) pandora begins playing my station in the background on phone.  I have to open pandora app to shut it off.  

0 Kudos

yodablues
Local Performer

Pixel 4 here.

• Android version: 11
  • Build number: RP1A.201105.002
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone): Not noted.
  • Pandora Version: 2011.1

I'm seeing exactly what @Laurie_scooby is seeing, anytime I use my wake word for Google Assistant, after Google has finished processing my voice command, it starts playing. Another way to reproduce:

• Open the app.
  • Start playing music
  • Pause the music and go back to the home screen.
  • Force close the app (I returned to the app drawer, long pressed the Pandora icon and went to app info)
  • Re open the app
  • It immediately resumes playing. 

Some observations:

• Sometimes when this happens, the widget in the pulldown shade of Android becomes unresponsive. Pause/Skip buttons do nothing. Dismissing the playback widget doesn't stop playback either. The app also stops loading, it stays at the initial Pandora icon loading screen of I tried to open it. I had to force close it from app info.
  • Tried with bluetooth on and off, in both cases nothing was connected
  • Tried on both wifi and cell data, made no difference.

What I've done:

• Cleared app cache/data.
  • Reinstalled fresh from the app store.
  • Turned off "ok Google" detection
  • Verified I have latest Android and app
0 Kudos

KarenAndJeff
Local Performer

I *only* experience this when I ask Google something.  I even force stop Pandora but it starts back up. Why is there no way to stop anything in Pandora? There is only a pause button. No stop.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Laurie_scooby Thanks for sharing your feedback on this thread.

It may help to run through the troubleshooting steps listed on our help page: Troubleshooting for Android Devices

If you continue to run into trouble with this, I'd like to report your feedback to our engineering team.

Can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Model: Pixel 5
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Let me know what you can find out.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@JBids I moved your post over to this existing thread: Music plays without being prompted after 2009.1 or later

It may help to run through the troubleshooting steps listed on our help page: Troubleshooting for Android Devices

If you continue to run into trouble with this, I'd like to report your feedback to our engineering team.

Can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Model: 
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@yodablues Thanks so much for sharing these helpful details with us.

I have added your info to the ticket we have open with our engineers.

We appreciate all your patience in the meantime as they work to find a fix. 🛠

AdamPandora

@Benjamin I definitely understand your frustration.

I can assure you that @AlyssaPandora was able to add your info to the ticket we have open with our engineers after you initially posted on this thread.

My best recommendation would be to make sure you update your app any time a new one is made available to you, as that is how all fixes are pushed out.

Here's how to update the Pandora app on your Android device:

1. Open the Google Play Store app.
  2. Touch the menu icon in the upper left and select My apps & games.
  3. Apps with available updates are labeled Update.
  4. Choose any appropriate apps and tap Update.

Tip: In some cases, you may need to restart your device to update an app.

Thanks again for all your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

Laurie_scooby
Local Performer

Model: Pixel 5 Carrier: Verizon

Android version (Settings > About Phone): 11

Build number (Settings > About Phone): 

RD1B.201105.010

Android Security Patch Level, if noted on device (Settings > About Phone):

Pandora version: 2011.1 Android Tuner 20111011

0 Kudos

Laurie_scooby
Local Performer

This definitely occurs over wifi. I will pay attention to see if it occurs over cellular. I did use the copy functionality to populate my pixel 5 from my pixel 2xl. 

0 Kudos

Pescaluna
Local Performer

Model: galaxy s8+ sm-g955u

Carrier: Sprint (now T Mobile)

Android version (Settings > About Phone): 9

Pandora version: 2011.1

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Pescaluna I have added your information to the ticket we have open with our engineering team.

Thanks for your patience with this in the meantime! 

0 Kudos

DracoDan
Opening Act

As I mentioned in the original post, this happens to me ONLY after having used Android Auto in my car and not in my truck, so maybe instead of collecting useless information about phones/network/versions/etc that don't appear to have any correlation, we can all provide the following which DOES seem to have some correlation to the problem.

If you experience this problem only after using Android Auto could provide the following? (add extra copies of the questions for multiple vehicles):

• Year: 
  • Make: 
  • Model: 
  • Trim/stereo upgrade option: 
  • Does this vehicle cause the problem: 
0 Kudos

DracoDan
Opening Act
  • Year: 2016
  • Make: Chevrolet
  • Model: Corvette z06
  • Trim/stereo upgrade option: 2LZ
  • Does this vehicle cause the problem: YES

• Year: 2020
  • Make: Chevrolet
  • Model: Silverado/1500
  • Trim/stereo upgrade option: LT Trail Boss
  • Does this vehicle cause the problem: NO
0 Kudos

Juliet2821
Local Performer

Having similar issues. Seems to often happen (when it does) after interacting with the Google Assistant. It does not happen after every interaction (not even close to that frequent).

• Model: Pixel 3
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): 11
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone): RP1A.201105.002
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone): Don't see any.
  • Pandora version: 2011.1

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening? Both (both are active / enabled, as to which is actually in use ... I would guess Wi-Fi)

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information? See above regarding Google Assistant. It has happened at other times also (e.g. once while at a doctor appointment it randomly turned on).

Wildroamer
Local Performer

Hi,

Not sure if this is just a glitch with my phone, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or has a suggestion for a possible remedy. When I use the Google Assistant by saying, "OK Google" and then asking/directing, Pandora begins playing. I then have to open and close the app too stop it. Certainly not a crisis, haha, but annoying.

Thanks for any ideas,

Todd