Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

DracoDan
Opening Act
  • Model: Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6
  • Carrier: Verizon
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): The latest for the past 4 years since I started using Pandora...
  • Pandora version: Yep, always the latest

How to reproduce: 
1. Use Android Auto in Corvette (2016)
2. Turn off and exit car
3. Pandora starts playing immediately after my phone makes any sounds (such as notifications), no matter how long it has been.
This happens 100% of the time when I repeat these steps but does not happen again until I use Android Auto in my Corvette again.

Here's the really weird part though, when I use Android Auto in my Chevy Silverado (2020) this does NOT occur.

Things I have tried:
Buying a new phone
Reinstalling the App
Disabled Autolaunch in Android Auto
Disable all permissions for Pandora
Disable notifications from Pandora
Disabled "Launch from car" in Pandora Settings > Advanced > Bluetooth Devices
Begged
Cried...

I have zero confidence this will ever be fixed, especially with the HUGE number of people that have complained about this for YEARS.  I have been dealing with it myself since I started using Pandora regularly over 4 years ago.  At this point the only logical assumption is that either the developers are incompetent or they don't care, but who knows, maybe this will help them...

Labels (1)
133 Replies

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @Juliet2821 @Wildroamer  👋

Thanks so much for the details. I've added your report of this issue to our internal ticket.

While I understand how frustrating this can be, please rest assured that we're working on this. 

Appreciate your help with providing that information for our engineers! 🛠

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

dandavis00
Local Performer

Greetings,

I have a weird problem with my Pandora app running on my Pixel XL3.  Often (but not always) when I use the "hey google" command to ask my phone a question and then click on one of the answers provided, my phone automatically starts pandora in the background.  The app does not open completely to where you can swipe up to shut it down but instead runs in the mode where you see it in the notification screen.  I have to restart the phone to shut it off sometimes.

0 Kudos

RDH
Local Performer

When I use any voice command on Google Home Pandora will start on my phone. This just started recently. I have not added any routines to Home and do not use any words that could be mistaken for Pandora. For example: "Hey Google Turn on Plug 1" and Pandora starts up on my phone. This happens no matter what the commands are. Looking at the posts this unexplained startup seems to be happening to quite a few people. I have a Samsung S10 running Android version 10. Pandora is up to date and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Still happens... 🤔

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @dandavis00 @RDH. 👋

To keep everything organized, I moved your post over to this existing thread: Music plays without being prompted after 2009.1 or later

Other listeners have reported similar issues. Our engineering team is working on this. In the meantime, I've added your report of this instance to our internal ticket.

Appreciate you taking the time to report this.

DracoDan
Opening Act

Hi @RDH and @dandavis00, do either of you use Android Auto?

0 Kudos

CrystlHrt
Local Performer

Since Thanksgiving 2020, Pandora will start randomly when I use the Google Assistant to do something else. Commands such as "Set an alarm for... " or "Play the news" will result in Pandora starting and the command being carried out. I love Pandora - but it should only start when I say "Play Pandora" or "Play music", not "Call XXX on speakerphone". 

rafikis75
Local Performer

I've noticed the same thing on my new phone (Pixel 5)

0 Kudos

dandavis00
Local Performer

I do not.  I also do not have google home.

0 Kudos

RDH
Local Performer

No I don't. I do have Google Home though. This doesn't happen when using Assistant on my Samsung S10 but happens frequently when using any command on Google Home. It will always start in background so I have to open the app to stop it playing. 

0 Kudos

kebes22
Local Performer

I'm having the same problem ever since I got my Pixel 5 at the beginning of November. After using Android Auto (on 4G/5G) I go inside (now connected to wifi) it will often randomly start playing usually about 30-60 minutes later. I typically keep my sound off, so it also seems it is sometimes turning the volume all the way up when it starts. Other times it starts playing without the volume up, and I either notice that is un-paused in my notification area, or I get a notification that Pandora paused it because my phone was muted. My previous phone was not doing this (at least not ever that I noticed), but I'm not sure what Pandora version it was running. It was a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

The new phone is Google Pixel 5, T-Mobile, Android 11, Pandora version 2011.1

0 Kudos

cwatson888
Local Performer
  • Model: Samsung S10+
  • Carrier: Verizon
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): 10
  • Pandora Version: 2011.1; no permissions allowed

This is still happening as of 12/11/2020. Please fix! I've downloaded the latest version, cleared my cache. Same results.

0 Kudos

K7
Local Performer

I'm having this same issues.

I'm running version 2011.1 on a pixel 5 with verizon as the carrier

super annoying, especially when it starts in the middle of a meeting!

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Pandora Update (12/15/2020): Thank you all for the posts and for sharing your device information. I've informed our engineering team of the additional reports on this thread.

Thank you very much for your patience while they work on this. 🤝

JTdelray
Local Performer

I can't see how to add another post on this topic.. I'm seeing same issue; Pandora starts playing again after disconnecting from android auto.

• Model: Pixel 4a
  • Carrier: TMobile (though phone is unlocked direct from Google purchase)
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): 11
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone): RQ1A.201205.008
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone): NA
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number. 2011.1
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening? Both

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information? Seems to happen 20-30 min after shutting car off; don't even need to interact with phone

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@JTdelray I've shared your feedback and device information with our engineers.

Thanks for your patience as they work to find a fix. 🛠

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

al-mann
Local Performer

Version 2012.1 does this on my Pixel 3 XL.
I'm on Android 11. 

Still doing it after doing the Clear Data and having to log back in.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @al-mann. 👋

Thanks for letting us know about your experience, and sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

Please see my latest update about this issue here.

Appreciate your patience while they work on this. 🎧

sp90378
Local Performer

Can we get an update please on this issue? Considering this was reported many months ago and all...

0 Kudos

RickyShade
Local Performer

I'm tired of the excuses. Your development team really can't fix this one simple and incredibly unacceptable issue? I will switch to Spotify.

0 Kudos

Utoslow
Local Performer

Same thing here, been going on for a long time.  Have AA running in the car via cable.  Playing pandora.  Stop car, disconnect phone, pandora stops as it should.  Wait some time for my pocket to start rocking out when pandora just starts playing without provocation.

Lg g8

Android 10

Only adding my comment to hopefully upvote this as a annoying bug.

0 Kudos