Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

DracoDan
Opening Act
  • Model: Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6
  • Carrier: Verizon
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): The latest for the past 4 years since I started using Pandora...
  • Pandora version: Yep, always the latest

How to reproduce: 
1. Use Android Auto in Corvette (2016)
2. Turn off and exit car
3. Pandora starts playing immediately after my phone makes any sounds (such as notifications), no matter how long it has been.
This happens 100% of the time when I repeat these steps but does not happen again until I use Android Auto in my Corvette again.

Here's the really weird part though, when I use Android Auto in my Chevy Silverado (2020) this does NOT occur.

Things I have tried:
Buying a new phone
Reinstalling the App
Disabled Autolaunch in Android Auto
Disable all permissions for Pandora
Disable notifications from Pandora
Disabled "Launch from car" in Pandora Settings > Advanced > Bluetooth Devices
Begged
Cried...

I have zero confidence this will ever be fixed, especially with the HUGE number of people that have complained about this for YEARS.  I have been dealing with it myself since I started using Pandora regularly over 4 years ago.  At this point the only logical assumption is that either the developers are incompetent or they don't care, but who knows, maybe this will help them...

Labels (1)
133 Replies

bdleitner
Local Performer

I'm also seeing this on my Pixel 4A 5G running version 2012.1 on Android 11.  This is an *egregiously* bad bug, I can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet, given how long ago it was reported.  Next time it happens I'm uninstalling the Pandora app, and I'm strongly considering cancelling my subscription.

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @sp90378 @Utoslow. 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into this issue. I understand how frustrating this can be.

Unfortunately, we do not have any new updates from our engineering team. Rest assured, they are aware of this issue, and are working on it. All information from this thread has been shared on an internal ticket for them to investigate.

Thanks for your patience during this process. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

Utoslow
Local Performer

Thank you, all that I can ask for is that it is in the backlog and has some priority.  And if you need  a beta/qa tester for this issue please let me know.

Thanks,

Gary

AlyssaPandora

@Utoslow This is absolutely a priority. We have another thread in the Pandora Community where listeners are experiencing this without Android Auto here: Music plays without being prompted after 2009.1 or later

We believe that these two issues are related. Thanks again for your patience during this time. 

0 Kudos

amigobuddy
Local Performer

This is occurring on pixel 3a. This primarily occurs when opening Snapshot section of the Google app, though does randomly occurs at other times.

amigobuddy
Local Performer

This is occurring on pixel 3a. This primarily occurs when opening Snapshot section of the Google app, though does randomly occurs at other times.

sp90378
Local Performer

If this is a priority, then this post has been almost a year and the other one from 9-24. Priority should not mean over 2 months and having no information or time frame on when the bug will be fixed. FYI, I work in telecommunications industry and work with manufactures when bugs are found to get patched. So I do know much on how this works and how quickly bugs can be fixed, especially if it really is a priority. 

0 Kudos

eafenyes
Local Performer

It is clear that Pandora either can't or won't fix this problem. I disable the program after each use. This is the only thing that keeps it from starting randomly. In Android it's Settings, Apps & notifications, Pandora, Force Stop.

0 Kudos

rezolution
Local Performer

That is the issue I am having.   After listening to Pandora on Android Auto, I turn off the car and disconnect the cable.   Some time later...usually around 5 or so minutes...Pandora starts playing...at full volume....usually when I have gone into some business...or courthouse.   I have to unlock my phone...and always find that Pandora is not running (even though it is blasting at full volume) so I then have to run pandora to click the pause button.  This is VERY annoying and I very close to removing pandora from all my devices.   I've searched all over for a solution.  It seems this issue has been ongoing for quite some time and Pandora seems to have dropped the ball on fixing it.  But it is making Pandora unusable to me.

I am on Galaxy S8+ and everything is up to date.

0 Kudos

rezolution
Local Performer

I'm having the same issue with Galaxy S8+.   This is NOT just a Pixel problem.  If Pandora doesn't fix it soon it will no longer be my problem because I will stop using Pandora.

using version 2012.1  Galaxy S8+.   Still having the problem many versions later.  Please fix.

mod edit: format
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Pandora Update (01/07/2021): Thank you sharing your experiences, feedback, and device information. I've informed our engineering team of the additional reports mentioned on this thread.

They are working diligently to get this issue fixed. We understand that this is a very frustrating issue. Thanks for your patience. 🤝

0 Kudos

NavForce
Local Performer

I use Google Snapshot. When I open the app anytime during normal working hours, Pandora automatically starts playing unprompted. How do I unattach Pandora from Snapshot. 

AdamPandora

@NavForce I moved your post over to this existing thread: Music plays without being prompted after 2009.1 or later

Keep an eye on this thread as this is where we will be providing any updates we receive from our engineering team.

You can find @AlyssaPandora's latest update about this issue here.

Thanks for your patience!

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Omari
Local Performer

This is the most annoying bug. Last night it started playing in the middle of the night and woke me and my wife up. Please do something about it.

Carrier: t mobile

device: Android galaxy s8

version: 2012.1

0 Kudos

crogers1552
Local Performer

I am also having the same issue with my Pandora randomly playing when it has been off and the app closed for hours at a time. Doesn't seem to matter what I had been doing previously. It actually happened today while the phone was in my pocket and I had closed all apps about 30 minutes prior to this while I was grocery shopping. 

• Model: LG V35 ThinQ 
  • Carrier: Cricket Mobile (AT&T) 
  • Android version 9 Pie 
  • Pandora version: 2012.1
  • Does not matter if I'm on Wifi or Mobile Data (Does it on both) 
  • Does not always "Play", Sometimes the app will just re-open itself and will be showing in the notification bar and on the lock screen.
  • Will even happen in the middle of the night when the app has been closed for HOURS
  • Will also happen if app is open and playing on a different device at the same time
  • Been going on now for a couple of months 

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @crogers1552 @Omari. 👋

Thanks for posting that information. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. In the meantime,  I've shared it with our engineering team, who is working on a fix. All updates for this issue will be posted in this thread. You can find my latest update here. 🎧

0 Kudos

gajewsau
Local Performer

It is still happening. Google Pixel 3a. My phone was disconnected from all bluetooth for about 1-2 hours. I walked infront of my Nest camera which triggered an auto-alert notification on my phone and BOOM the music starts playing at volume 10 and was extremely embarrassing. Happens all the time.  It's clear Pandora has exactly 0 interest in fixing this since it has been going on since October. Time for an uninstall! 

0 Kudos

Whateverpandora
Local Performer

Hello,

At random times throughout the day the Pandora app will start playing in the background.

Today though it happened 2x right after I said  "OK Google, start a timer. for..."

I have uninstalled this app already. Galaxy note 9 phone and pandora version 2011.1

Nothing in settings mentions autoplay or background running except the car option.

0 Kudos

Jeffreyjoebob
Local Performer
  • I to have this exact issue on my pixel 3a.
0 Kudos

Larry976
Local Performer

Pandora auto plays when using Google snapshot.   Not a desired action.  

Pixel 4 running Android 11 and the lastest Pandora app

0 Kudos