Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

DracoDan
Opening Act
  • Model: Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6
  • Carrier: Verizon
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): The latest for the past 4 years since I started using Pandora...
  • Pandora version: Yep, always the latest

How to reproduce: 
1. Use Android Auto in Corvette (2016)
2. Turn off and exit car
3. Pandora starts playing immediately after my phone makes any sounds (such as notifications), no matter how long it has been.
This happens 100% of the time when I repeat these steps but does not happen again until I use Android Auto in my Corvette again.

Here's the really weird part though, when I use Android Auto in my Chevy Silverado (2020) this does NOT occur.

Things I have tried:
Buying a new phone
Reinstalling the App
Disabled Autolaunch in Android Auto
Disable all permissions for Pandora
Disable notifications from Pandora
Disabled "Launch from car" in Pandora Settings > Advanced > Bluetooth Devices
Begged
Cried...

I have zero confidence this will ever be fixed, especially with the HUGE number of people that have complained about this for YEARS.  I have been dealing with it myself since I started using Pandora regularly over 4 years ago.  At this point the only logical assumption is that either the developers are incompetent or they don't care, but who knows, maybe this will help them...

Labels (1)
133 Replies

sp90378
Local Performer

Its been another 2 months. Can you please provide an update to this? I am about to just switch and not use Pandora again as it looks like Pandora has given this no priority with how many months this has been going on for now. 

0 Kudos

gajewsau
Local Performer

My phone continues to do this daily. The final straw was tonight when my phone absolutely BLASTED music close to midnight waking up my whole family and scaring us half to death. 

This is completely unacceptable for an app; we've heard 'this is being sent to our engineers' for months now with no solution.

I've already given the app a 1 star rating and am now forced to uninstall the app permanently since engineers at the biggest streaming app in the world are unable to sort through this issue. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Pandora Update (03/08/2021): Thank you sharing your experiences, feedback, and device information. I've informed our engineering team of the additional reports mentioned on this thread.

They are working to get this issue fixed. We understand that this is a very frustrating issue. Thanks for your patience. 🤝

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

Sfhunt
Local Performer

Agreed. Still a problem. 

Not solved.

mod edit: format
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @Sfhunt. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space.

After taking a look at your account, it appears that you're may be using an Android device - not an iOS device. I've moved your post over to this existing thread: Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

Please check out my recent post about this here. 🎧

0 Kudos

sp90378
Local Performer

I hate to say it, but I wonder if we just need to get everyone to band together to rate Pandora 1 star. Maybe if the overall rating tanked, someone there would give this issue priority to fix it. 

0 Kudos

DracoDan
Opening Act

Wait, you haven't already done this?  Like their overlords (SiriusXM), they simply don't care anymore, this threads age and length is all the proof we need of that fact.

0 Kudos

ashleyrshipp
Local Performer

Hi! Is there a solution yet? My app does the exact same thing! It's frustrating to need to mute my phone every time I leave my car so I don't have loud, blaring, (sometimes not work appropriate) music burst out every morning.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G

Carrier: FirstNet (AT&T)

Android version: 11 (always most current update)

Happens after disconnecting from Android Auto on 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe

Pandora app up to date (always updated)

I've tried all the reset/settings/etc... mentioned above to no avail.

I do frequently have a Samsung Galaxy Watch connected using Bluetooth and occasionally Bluetooth headphones (Samsung Buds Live or JLabs Air), but the issue continues even when no other Bluetooth devices are connected.

(I am grandfathered into the old monthly Pandora plus pricing... I used to do the $40/yr. Not sure if that affects anything but figured I'd mention just in case.)

I have used Pandora for over a decade now and really don't want to switch music providers, but if it comes down to losing my job or Pandora, my job comes first!

Please help!

(I'm happy to provide any additional details needed to fix this issue!)

0 Kudos

MusicFan1256
Local Performer

Swiping it away doesn't prevent Pandora from relaunching (No music is playing, but I usually have to hit play, and then pause, and then swipe).  At first I thought this was a problem specific to my phone, but I recently upgraded and it happens on my new phone (old = LG; new = Samsung).  I believe the problem is related to Android Auto (sync with car/vehicle).  The problem didn't start until after the first time I played Pandora via Android Auto... once I do that, Pandora never closes again unless I uninstall and reinstall Pandora (then I'm fine until I use it in Android Auto).  Pandora is always in my notifications (and that takes up a lot of visual space).  I swipe it away... and it comes back a few minutes to a few hours later.

0 Kudos

SpotifyIsBetter
Local Performer

"You can exit the app by navigating to the Recent Apps menu, finding the Pandora app and then swiping it away."

No.  When I do that, it just restarts itself.  Pandora needs to stop restarting itself.  It's impossible to close / remove from the notifications bar without force closing or rebooting the phone.

But why am I wasting my time commenting? Pandora is just going to copy and paste the same stupid auto reply with the same broken instructions like they always do.

AdamPandora

@SpotifyIsBetter I moved your post over to this existing thread: Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

I'd like to report your feedback to our engineering team as well.

Can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Let me know what you can find out.

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

blizroms
Local Performer

Pretty ridiculous that this issue is still happening after over a year.  Disconnect from android auto pandora wont swipe away.  Open hit play, then swipe away and it claims to close.  Then i get a call disconnected from car, end call, pandora opens plays at max volume and scares the **ahem** out of me.  Then I close it and get notification hours later that pandora is killing my battery and i click force quit and then it finally closes.

MikeL
Casual Fan

Hi
I am struggling with running Pandora within Android Auto.  A couple of issues:
1)  Pandora automatically starts even when I don’t want it to start.  When I have the audio off (in car) I would not know that it was running on phone.  And yes, I do have the “Launch from car” Pandora setting off (in Settings - Advanced - Bluetooth Devices).  And, in Android Auto, I have the “Automatically resume media” off.
2)  After I stop the car & get out of Android Auto, Pandora continues to run in background on phone.  Before I realized this I used up a lot of my data minutes.  I do not hear it playing on my phone, but still is running in the background.  Pandora does not show in my phones “Recent apps”, but I find it running after swiping down to see the phones notification panel.    
How to resolve these issues?  Bluetooth connection (phone - car) is fine since I have the phone contacts, messages, etc on car display.  I do not want to spend even more time closing apps, just to get out of the car.
Phone:  Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G.  Android 11, Android Auto 6.2.610914-release.  Pandora vers. 2103.1 (same issue with 2102.1.1).
Car:  Toyota Highlander, 2021, with the 12.3” display premium audio.
This is frustrating.  Please advise.
Thanks
Mike

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @MikeL. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're encountering this issue. I completely understand your frustration. I've moved your post over to this existing thread: Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

I've shared your device (and car) info with our engineering team. They are working on this issue. 

++

Could you share a screenshot of the notification on the panel that you mentioned? I'd like to share this with our engineers as well.  

Let me know. 🎧

0 Kudos