Underground

Phone: Samsung S8

Free storage available on phone's internal storage: 30.15 GB

Current size of Pandora app: 2.37 GB

Pandora Premium version: 2102.11

Pandora permissions on phone: Location, Phone, and Storage

Internet-service speed: 400 Mbps

WiFi-connection speed: 1083 Mbps [sic]

As the title of my post states, after the Pandora app was automatically updated on my phone, I discovered that all of my playlists had been deleted, including My Thumbs Up.  However, when I now try to re-download the My Thumbs Up playlist to my phone, the download always "hangs" at about the 45%-complete mark.

I have tried deleting Cache and AppData, uninstalling and re-installing the app, re-booting my phone, etc., but the result is always the same.

Pandora's Stations all complete downloading; only My Thumbs Up shows this behavior.

I have plenty of room left on my phone (> 30 GB).  I also have a near-empty external SD card (>59 GB free storage), but I find the same behavior whether I install Pandora on internal or on external storage.

There is also a discrepancy being reported by Pandora when the download stalls.  A screenshot of the My Thumbs Up page shows that downloading has stopped at ~ 45%, while the Playlists page shows something more like ~ 90% complete (see attached screenshots).

At this point, I'm having to conclude that either Pandora v2102.11 has a bug, or Pandora's server has an issue.  There's nothing I have found that fixes the problem on my end.

My Thumbs Up.jpgPlaylists.jpg

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Klaatu Thanks so much for providing all of this information. 

I have reported this over to our engineering team on your behalf. If you notice anything else, please let me know and I can share it with them.

Appreciate your patience while they investigate. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

4 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Klaatu I moved your post over to the Android space.

Missing playlists:

To clarify, when you say your playlists were deleted, do you mean that they are no longer showing in your collection at all?

Or are you referring to playlists you had previously downloaded for Offline Mode are no longer downloaded?

If they are missing completely, can you please give me the names of a few of the playlists that no longer show in your collection?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Unable to download My Thumbs Up playlist:

If it doesn't appear to be storage related, I'd recommend signing out of the app and signing back in, which will reset the download process. Then, make sure to keep Pandora in the foreground of your device while the download completes.

If you continue to have trouble, check the download icon for the content you are attempting to download. The two rotating arrows indicate that the content is still in the download process and the highlighted downward pointing arrow means the content has successfully downloaded.

If the icon is not highlighted, try downloading the content again and keep the app in the foreground while your offline music downloads. Keep in mind that stations and large playlists take a longer time to download.

Lastly, if you are having trouble downloading stations, please try downloading a single track for offline listening to see if that works.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos

Klaatu
Underground

Thank you for your quick reply, Adam.  I answer your questions below:

"To clarify, when you say your playlists were deleted, do you mean that they are no longer showing in your collection at all?"

They are all showing now.  However, when I first fired up Pandora after the update with the intent of playing offline content, the app told me that I had no Playlists to play, and none were showing.  When I got back home (and therefore had an Internet connection again), the Playlist icons showed up again.  The smaller Playlists downloaded right away, but My Thumbs Up has always stopped downloading in the same "hung" state.

"I'd recommend signing out of the app and signing back in, which will reset the download process."

By deleting and re-installing the app (as explained in my first post), I have done just this, and multiple times.  I have also signed out and back in a couple times without deleting.  Still no joy.

"...check the download icon for the content you are attempting to download. The two rotating arrows indicate that the content is still in the download process..."

The "rotating arrows" are not displayed.  If you look at the two screenshots that I provided with the original post, you will see that "pie charts" are displayed; these indicators have not changed after 12 hours of uninterrupted downloading in foreground; no arrows of any kind are displayed (either the rotating type or the single one that shows that offline content has completed downloading).  This is why I say the process is "hung."  BTW, the two screenshots show a discrepancy of ~ 2x between the two "pie charts" for some reason.

"If the icon is not highlighted, try downloading the content again and keep the app in the foreground while your offline music downloads. Keep in mind that stations and large playlists take a longer time to download."

I have tried downloading and repeating the entire process multiple times and had the same result: the process stops at about the 45% point.  I leave the app in foreground the whole time, yet its state doesn't change, even after being left open for over twelve hours.  The app reaches the ~ 45% point in a couple minutes, and then everything stops.

"Lastly, if you are having trouble downloading stations, please try downloading a single track for offline listening to see if that works."

The My Thumbs Up songs that have downloaded are playable.  It's just that the download process appears to stay in this intermediate "hung" state.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Klaatu
Underground

Since the none of the usual approaches for clearing this error are working, it appears to me that Pandora v2102.1.1 has a new bug in it.  I say new because this behavior was not seen before the latest update.  It might be related to the size of the My Thumbs Up playlist (1,807 songs).  I wonder if an inadvertent size limit (e.g., a finite "index range") has sneaked into the code that causes downloading to freeze when some array goes out of range at an index value corresponding to ~ 800 songs in the playlist (i.e., ~ 45% of 1,807 songs).

This much is known:

1) The Pandora update to v2102.1.1 deleted all of my previously downloaded Playlists.

2) The smaller Playlists re-downloaded quickly and completely.

3) Re-downloading of the My Thumbs Up playlist stalls during the downloading process at about the 45% mark.  This error is repeatable, and any attempt to rectify this error fails.

4) Finally, the "progress pie chart" displayed by the app is in disagreement with itself, with a different (frozen) downloading status shown depending on which window of the app is being displayed.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Klaatu Thanks so much for providing all of this information. 

I have reported this over to our engineering team on your behalf. If you notice anything else, please let me know and I can share it with them.

Appreciate your patience while they investigate. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024