cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Unable to connect Pandora in various vehicles after 2208.1

TannerPandora

Pandora Update: 10/6/22

I'd like to again thank everyone for posting their trouble with connecting Android devices to Pandora in the car. We understand how frustrating this experience can be and wanted you to know that we're working hard to resolve this issue.

If you're new to this thread and experience an issue connecting to Pandora with your Android, feel free to post. Your information will be passed along to our engineering ticket.

Updates will continue to be posted in this thread as they are given to the Community Team.

In the meantime, these steps may help to connect to your vehicle:

• First, make sure your phone is not connected to your vehicle via Bluetooth.
  • Then, launch Pandora on your phone before starting you car.
  • Once Pandora is playing, then connect to your vehicle via Bluetooth.

Thank you all for your continued patience.

Use your mobile device only when conditions allow and as permitted by applicable law.

Pandora Update: 9/20/22

Hi everyone! Thanks for posting your experience to community.

Since many of you are having trouble on various Android phones and in different vehicles I've gone ahead and merged all related posts into one thread to help stay organized with updates and information.

If you're new to this thread, please note that this is for Android users who are unable to connect to Pandora in their vehicle or in-vehicle device with version 2208.1 or later.

An internal ticket has been created and our engineering teams are investigating. Updates will be made in this thread as they are made available to us.

We appreciate your continued patience while we look into this.

Use your mobile device only when conditions allow and as permitted by applicable law.

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

Labels (1)
393 Replies

XtheEdgeX
Opening Act

Mine is finally working. My older LG phone has been running android 11. A couple of days ago, I was updated to android 12. Now I have the 'nearby devices' option in the Pandora app permissions. I selected that, and now it connects to my truck. I select Pandora on my truck stereo screen and it connects pretty fast.

0 Kudos

kCard1973
Local Performer

It's still not working for me. It stopped working in my car months ago. When is this going to be fixed?

0 Kudos

barnesmjsa
Underground
They're not, man. The problems we are experiencing have already been
forgotten by the people that made the decision to break it!! LOL
Un-install it and go with the older version linked further up thread.
Following that, make sure to set Pandora not to automatically update (that
is also in the thread).
It's the only thing that worked for me. It's either that, or just straight
bluetooth.

Personally, I am letting my premium membership expire and that's that for
SiriusXM, Pandora and I.

Welcome to globalization. Isn't it grand?
0 Kudos

Fhb
Underground

I don't know if this is of an issue of being "Fixed" but a security update to Android 12.

Google in Android 12 has included a new security permission Called nearby device permission.

When Pandora upgraded the app I suspect they wanted to be compliant with this new security permission.

If you are running an Android version prior to 12.  The new Pandora App will not work correctly with Android versions prior to version 12.  This is probably a best security practice.

If your Android is running version 11 or earlier you will most likely have the issues described in this thread with the new Pandora App.   From what I observe that the Pandora App is being compliant with Android 12 security.

The two options I see are:

1. Downgrade the the version that works for your Android device.  I would not recommend running a previous version of the App.  Specifically if it not available on the Google play store.

2.  Upgrade your Android device to Version 12 and turn on near by device permission for the Pandora App.

Think of this as a Feature and not a bug.

The only complaint I have is that Pandora support has not notified users of this situation with Android 12

dabruns
Opening Act

Fhb really hit the nail on the head. And I totally agree that installing an app not from the Google Play Store would be very unwise indeed. I would not want to jeopardize my phone's operating system for any app. 

Yeah, it **ahem** for us still on Android 11. But, besides Pandora no longer working, my Android 11 phone still works great for everything else I use it for. I'll get over Pandora and move on.

0 Kudos

CharlieD
Underground

I want to respond to the last two comments by Fhb and dabruns.  I mentioned a couple of weeks ago about a software concept called backwards compatability.  It's what allows your favorite application to run on multiple versions of Windows.  For example, the same version of an application can run on Windows 11, Windows 10, and possibly Windows 8 and 7.  It's not too complicated.  Pandora failed to do that here.  They could easily have had the app look to see what version of Android it was running on.  If it was something less than Android 12, it could have perhaps forced code in the app to assume the nearby devices setting was on even though the setting did not actually exist.  That's one method.  Other workarounds exist.  

I also cannot upgrade my phone.  It's a 2 year old Verizon branded phone and they have not released Andriod 12 for it although they still release the security updates, so it's not dead yet.  

As for side-loading an older version of the app.  That's up to you.  I vetted the older version and where it came from as best I could and I could not find any complaints about the source so I did the downgrade.  But, as I said, you have to make that decision for yourself.

0 Kudos

jcreed16
Local Performer

I have a 2021 mazda cx5 and it now does not recognized pandora .  this is a major inconvenience since I pay for this service

0 Kudos

joan07ark54
Local Performer

Pandora stopped working last night (New Year's Eve) in both cars. It had been working earlier in the day.  I tried obvious fixes...disconnect/reconnect from Bluetooth, shut phone off. Didn't work and still not working today.  The window pops up  "Not provided" no matter what I try.  Interestingly, it works fine in the house with my Bose speaker.  

0 Kudos

Shepnie
Local Performer
  • Earlier this year my I was no longer able to see the songs on my radio screen or use the vehicles controls to change songs. It will still play thru the Bluetooth. I have removed my phone from the cars Bluetooth and removed the car from my phone and set it back up. No improvement. This is an inconvenience as I would rather not look at my phone to change anything. When will this be fixed. 
0 Kudos

EPA18
Underground

Any roll-back to a former version is temporary. The app automatically updates to the latest version, and Pandora has told me they will not stop the app from updating automatically.

0 Kudos

SAS18
Opening Act

You can prevent the automatic updates in the Play Store by clicking on the three dots in the upper right hand corner and un-checking the auto updates box.

0 Kudos

SAS18
Opening Act

Per my previous reply, see the picture below:

SAS18_1-1672757865512.jpeg

0 Kudos

Albertogi0
Local Performer

Hello, same problem here!

• Mazda 3 2021
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
  • Pandora version 2212.1 (android tuner 22121006)
  • connected by Bluetooth
  • The issue is only with Pandora - other apps works perfectly20230110_072409.jpg
0 Kudos

ErnestL
Local Performer

I have a 2017 Subaru with the factory head unit and it is not wanting to connect to my Galaxy S21 Ultra, even when I have rolled my Pandora version back to 2203.1. I tried 2205.1.1 and it still did not connect. Nearby devices were set to allowed on each of these versions.

0 Kudos

Albertogi0
Local Performer

Update - Settings / Avanced / launch from car - and now connects automatically.  

0 Kudos

debmeg2003
Underground

January 22 2023, Pandora app on version 2212.1 and still not working for my 2015 Buick Encore. Since August 2022 and a few version updates later.  The Padora app is there on my entertainment console, just grayed out and nonfunctional. Bluetooth connected to the Buick on my phone. Will play through the "Bluetooth" app. But again, doesn't offer the feature as I had through the Pandora car app. What's the deal? How hard could it be? I'm trying REALLY hard to stick by Pandora and just keep waiting and hoping.  PLEASE get it figured out and fix it. All my saved songs, my library, my beloved music. Tell me that tomorrow I can turn on my car radio, go to my Padora app on my car entertainment console and it will be lit up and working.

0 Kudos

varnk
Underground

I've been struggling with this problem since last August.  I've read numerous posts on this thread with various solutions of which none worked for me.  However, when I used the link you provided to downgrade Pandora to 2203.1 my Pandora FINALLY worked again!!

I've disabled Pandora auto updates and will keep on using this version.  I am hoping that Pandora doesn't make changes to their website to make this app version incompatible, because that would be very upsetting!  They really need to fix this issue if they do that.  In the meantime, I am very happy that I can now control Pandora again from my 2018 Mazda 6!

Your solution should somehow be pinned on this thread.

0 Kudos

DarkMajiks
Local Performer

It's sad that Pandora won't do anything to help all of these people with vehicles that they spent tens of thousands of dollars on which have this app built into their car but can't use it due to something so stupid. Security? How about functionality? I guess they just expect you to go and buy the latest phone available. My phone is pretty freaking new and so is my car but I can't get the latest Android update through my carrier yet and I'm not getting a new phone for no reason (plus I don't want 5 freaking cameras on my phone). Even more pathetic is the fact that Pandora's team of customer support couldn't come up with an answer to help people after such a long time. Thank God at least somebody cares enough and has enough brains to figure it out and help. Thank you so much kind soul. Pandora, I won't recommend you to ANYONE, thanks for absolutely NOTHING! As a developer I completely understand Google and their constant security updates (although not nearly as ridiculous as iCrap) so I get you not being able to fix it as you cannot upload to the store unless you target the latest version and to do so you must apply the new security features, but you can't give a solution like this? Or better yet offer the old APK through your own website? Shame on you for doing so little after such a long time.

Pace21
Local Performer

That explanation of disconnecting bluetooth, then start Pandora, then reconnect bluetooth does not work either. 

Luistejano
Local Performer

I've had the free pandora for several years.  I've always been able to listen to pandora music by Bluetooth my android phone.  Now it doesn't work.  Did something change?  

0 Kudos