cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android auto starts pandora

Jfritz
Underground

I have disabled any autopay options in advanced settings. Every time I turn on android auto pandora still starts playing. What can I do to stop this?

0 Kudos
33 Replies

TannerPandora

Hey @Jfritz ~ Sorry for any trouble. 

Can you ensure that you have the Launch from car setting disabled on your Android phone?

• Open Pandora.
  • From the Now Playing screen touch the back arrow in the upper left.
  • Tap the menu in the upper left, then go to the Settings tab.
  • Select Advanced.
  • Under Bluetooth for devices make sure there is no check next to Launch from car.

Let me know if you're still having trouble. Thanks for posting to community!

Tanner | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Jfritz
Underground

It seems to keep doing it. I've even checked android auto settings and it's the same. 

tmcnamar2002
Local Performer

Hey @Jfritz. Are you on the new Android Auto UI? I've noticed there's a new setting in there under the Android Auto settings to turn autoplay off/on when connecting to Android Auto.  It's called "Automatically Resume Media".  What is that set to?

0 Kudos

Jfritz
Underground
Yes it is set to off. That's what is so frustrating.
0 Kudos

tmcnamar2002
Local Performer

What version of the app are you on? You can find it at the bottom of the settings in the Pandora app.

0 Kudos

FredetteB
Local Performer

I have a similar problem.  After getting out of the car and closing Pandora, it will restart by itself.  Close Pandora again and 20min later it will be open again.  This repeats until I force stop Pandora.  I have a pixel 2 XL running Android 10 and a 2018 Ford Fusion.

I have tried clearing the cache and storage memory.  Uninstalled and reinstalled.  Since others are having similar issues it seems to be a Pandora bug that has not been addressed.

jregets
Underground
This is the most annoying thing! I’m a Pandora Premium member and I’m ready to cancel my account. Both of the problems described in this thread need to be looked into. I don’t want Pandora to start automatically (even with all settings turned to “off”), AND I don’t want it to remain open after I exit my car. Even after closing the app manually, it will sometimes automatically reopen. Pandora... please fix your integration with Android Auto!!

BreenX
Diamond in the Rough
I have this problem as well, BUT, it's not just with Pandora, but also my PlayerFM app, or even my Samsung Music app (which I don't use) on my Galaxy S8, and only with my car. Does your Pandora go immediately into Offline Mode when this happens? I think what is happening, at least with my car and phone, is that whatever the last app I was in right before I connect via Bluetooth to my car, is the one that opens automatically. I think the car(?) is looking for music files on my phone, that's why it wants to open my Pandora in Offline Mode. When it comes to Pandora, I only stream, so when my car(?) goes looking for files, my Pandora gets hung up in Offline mode, and it take me forever to go back to Online. I do download podcasts with PlayerFM, and that opens all the time with the last thing I was listening to. I have yet to find a solution or workaround. Is it my car? Is it my phone? Is it both together? I dunno . . . . So I would say Pandora is involved, but perhaps not at fault . . . I've never liked that Offline mode switch. Perhaps if the "don't start playing when I open you up" switch gets implemented, this will lessen the issue.
0 Kudos

TannerPandora

It's interesting that it's happening on multiple apps @BreenX 

Which Pandora version are you currently running? To find this, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.

@TmacPandora any thoughts?

Tanner | Community Moderator

0 Kudos

tmcnamar2002
Local Performer

0 Kudos

TmacPandora
Pandora
Pandora

You might see improvements in 1911.2 coming at the end of November.  We fixed some play/pause starts on our bluetooth logic. Come back to us if you see more issues.  We appreciate the feedback.

TMac | Staff Software Engineer

0 Kudos

BreenX
Diamond in the Rough

So I did some more troubleshooting. And yes, if PlayerFM was the last app opened, the last downloaded podcast file will start playing. Same thing happened with Samsung Music, which is just an audio file player. I have one sound effect downloaded to my phone and it plays just that. Ding! and it's over . . . BUT, when it come to Pandora, it's not automatically opening. BUT . . . if I leave the app open ready to stream, turn off wifi, turn on Bluetooth, THEN connect to my car, Pandora goes right into Offline Mode and it takes a good 30 seconds to a minute to have the app turn off Offline mode. It takes several pressing of the Offline Mode button to turn it off. It is like the has a mind of it's own, and it's being stubborn . . . "I don't WANNA stream music! I dont' WANNA!!!!!" . . . . I've tried the same thing with the Tidal app where you can also download music, but it does not have a dedicated Offline mode switch, and the app behaves fine. No looking for files, no auto playing last played tract for that matter either. My current Pandora is 1910.3 (ANDROID-TUNER 1910-3RC10)

THX

B

0 Kudos

jregets
Underground
To be honest, the auto start problem isn't the most annoying problem. The app remaining open after exiting the car is terrible. Sometimes, even after a force close the app will automatically reopen later in the day. This ONLY happens after using the Pandora app with Android Auto. Sometimes it takes a full reboot of the phone to completely get Pandora to stop restarting on its own. This is an absolutely massive drain on battery life.

BreenX
Diamond in the Rough

With the latest update, I do see improvements! The whole "offline mode" issue I was having is not happening now. Just some intel from the field for ya. Thanks much!

BreenX
Diamond in the Rough

Hi Pandora People,

Well, I'm STILL having the issue after more usage, and now it's happening with my Bluetooth speaker . . . I will go through my steps . . . .

1. I'm connected via WiFi (but this also happens when I'm not on WiFi)

2. All my apps are closed on my phone.

3. I turn on my Bluetooth.

4. I connect to a Bluetooth device (car, speaker)

5. I open Pandora.

6. Pandora opens in Offline Mode . . .. 

I think what I was doing when it worked recently, was I had Pandora open BEFORE connecting to a Bluetooth device. I will check right now . . . yep, I just confirmed. Having Pandora open before connecting via Bluetooth is fine, that part is fixed. But having Pandora closed before connecting via Bluethooth makes it go into Offline Mode when opened as outlined above in the steps.

Thanks All!!!!!!!

B

be31
Local Performer
Yea this is happening to me... seems that Pandora isn't addressing the problem. Google Pixel 3a Android Auto User Android 10 All auto features turned off Pandora literally opens and starts playing overriding all silence modes. It also opens every time I take a picture now. It **ahem**... happened yesterday in a work meeting. Phone was in do not disturb. Canceling premium subscription today and switching to spotify... seem to be the only solution if Pandora isn't willing to fix bug. ☠😪
0 Kudos

jregets
Underground

Couldn't agree more and I'm ready to make the switch as well. I just can't justify paying for a music service who can't fix a bug that is this bad. 

0 Kudos

CSpahn
Local Performer

+1 for me. Having Pandora starting itself back up throughout the day is frustrating beyond belief. I have a Plantronics Voyager Headset and sometimes after a call Pandora just comes up and starts playing in my ear. I then have to fumble with my phone and get it turned off. Both Enable AutoPlay and Launch from car options are off. Too bad that inserting photos are disabled or I'd add a screenshot. I'm a premium family owner and finding it hard to renew with these issues. I am running a Samsung Galaxy S9 and Pandora 2001.1. 

Please Pandora, at the very least, let us know that you recognize the issue and that it is being worked on.

Frostwolf
Local Performer

I'm to the point if uninstalling Pandora. This is just beyond annoying. I have to force stop this app all the time now.