cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto with iOS: Unable to resume playback with bluetooth controls/ lock screen

zubby
Underground

The Pandora app regularly gets confused using the play/pause or on/off controls from the vehicle. When it locks up, I have to unlock the phone and get into the app to get it playing again. The Pandora part of the lock screen indicates that it's playing (and it isn't).  Any interaction with the lock screen controls will not get it playing again.  When I get into the Pandora app itself, it indicates that it isn't playing. Pressing play in the app will get it playing again.  This is very annoying as I have to interact with the phone to clear the lock up. Spotify & Audible work just fine. 2011 Toyota Sienna Bluetooth attached. iOS 13.1.1 iPhone 7 Pandora App 1909.2

mod edit: changing title for clarity

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

TannerPandora

Hi @zubby @davistw @A-Dawg Thanks for posting! @Haverfordwest is correct, this is a known issue that is currently being investigated. 

We appreciate your patience in the meantime. 🎧 ❤️

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

View solution in original post

22 Replies

davistw
Opening Act

I have seen this also

0 Kudos

A-Dawg
Local Performer

Seems like its not just a Bluetooth issue w/i Pandoras system as I have this same issue when listening directly from my iPhone SE6, iOS ver 13.1.1 AND when using other BT devices; ihome, Bose SoundLink, etc. ALL Songs will paly from 30 sec to a couple of minutes before they just stop playing and the app goes to the background.

Indeed annoying especially when one is paying a Pandora Plus monthly subscription...

Anyone know if Pandora is working on a solution to this/these issues? Not sure if they monitor this community discussion page or not.

@zubby wrote:

The Pandora app regularly gets confused using the play/pause or on/off controls from the vehicle. When it locks up, I have to unlock the phone and get into the app to get it playing again. The Pandora part of the lock screen indicates that it's playing (and it isn't).  Any interaction with the lock screen controls will not get it playing again.  When I get into the Pandora app itself, it indicates that it isn't playing. Pressing play in the app will get it playing again.  This is very annoying as I have to interact with the phone to clear the lock up. Spotify & Audible work just fine. 2011 Toyota Sienna Bluetooth attached. iOS 13.1.1 iPhone 7 Pandora App 1909.2

mod edit: format

0 Kudos

zubby
Underground
A-Dawg, I think you are suffering from an iOS bug that will be fixed by going to the latest version 13.1.3... my understanding is that early iOS 13.x.x releases were too aggressive with killing apps when it deemed memory was too low. This matches the symptoms you describe. Definitely not the bug I'm seeing that I'm confident is a Pandora App bug. Zubby
0 Kudos

Haverfordwest
Opening Act

@zubby I've had this issue with my car and my bluetooth headset. You can't resume playback through bluetooth if you've paused Pandora. I've written in about this and was told it was a known issue thats being worked on. 

TannerPandora

Hi @zubby @davistw @A-Dawg Thanks for posting! @Haverfordwest is correct, this is a known issue that is currently being investigated. 

We appreciate your patience in the meantime. 🎧 ❤️

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

twarrington68
Local Performer

I've been seeing the same issue for a couple of months now.  I thought it was an iOS issue, but the problem has occurred with all bluetooth devices on multiple versions of iOS.  

0 Kudos

omgreenfield
Local Performer

For me, this issue only happens with Pandora and bluetooth earphones. After pausing Pandora, then resuming with my earphones (and not on the phone directly), the app will continue the playback, but no sound will come out until I end the app's process and restart it.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @omgreenfield thanks for posting!

Can you let me know the Pandora version you're currently on, along with the make and model of your device?

Thank you!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

Lulu_Belle
Local Performer

Having the same issue! Using Pandora 2008.1 with an iPhone 11pro 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Lulu_Belle, thanks for posting your experience!

I'd like to add your info to our ticket for this. Can you let me know which iOS you're on? If you need help finding this, let me know. 

Thanks!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

rcartale
Local Performer

Having the same exact issue.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @rcartale! Thanks for posting to community. 

I wanted to follow up with you about this issue. Our engineers have been working diligently, and we have made a small change that we think should help.

We recommend confirming you have the latest Pandora app version, 2009.1 (if you need help updating please let me know), then sign out of Pandora, close the app, relaunch the app and sign back in. 

We hope this will help. Please let us know if you're still continuing to run into this issue. 

Thanks again for posting to community!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

bansheerider04
Local Performer

Still doing it even on the latest apple update iOS 14.3 on iPhone XR. Pandora won’t play with the Bluetooth headset. And I have to “play-pause-play” again before any sound comes out. My headset will pause the song and volume controls work but it won’t resume play when trying to continue listening. I have also tried the whole “unpair BT, sign out of pandora and sign back in and re-pair BT” with no luck. My headset works fine with the normal APPLE MUSIC app and YouTube app. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @bansheerider04. 👋

Thanks for letting us know about this, and sorry for any inconvenience.

Does this happen in your vehicle? 

In the meantime, I would like to report this issue to our engineers. Could you tell me more about your iOS device?

• Device & Generation: iPhone XR
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: iOS 14.3
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Let me know, and I can share this info with our engineering team. I look forward to hearing back! 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

lauraschlott
Local Performer

I have an iPhone and I've been having this same issue for a couple years. It's quite annoying. Is there any update to this bug?

The issue occurs when using bluetooth with my stereo, headphones and car system. 

0 Kudos

zubby
Underground

Despite repeated assurances about an investigation (see previous posts from TannerPandora), I get the impression that Pandora hasn't given this issue any priority... after 2+ years.  During the time of my original post it was a 100% reproducible problem.

I no longer listen to Pandora while driving.

0 Kudos

zubby
Underground

Prompted by your post yesterday, I tested Pandora during my morning commute and can no longer get it fail.  They have fixed the issue (in my case).

Just to close the loop: Same car, iPhone 12 mini, IOS 15.2.1, Pandora App 2110.1.1. 

0 Kudos

Huntress19
Local Performer

I am also having this issue on my iOS and it’s steadily getting worse. I have to unlock my phone if the song gets paused for any reason and even playing it there I have to hit the play button at least twice before it stops pausing.

0 Kudos

Im_mike
Local Performer

I have the same issue, thought it was a cheap set of headphones. I’ve had AirPods now and it still does this, even after unlocking I have to pause and play for music to start again.

iPhone 12 iOS version 15.3

0 Kudos