cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

On this day in the history of music.

1960 - Roy Orbison 

Roy Orbison had his first UK No.1 single with 'Only The Lonely' and his first of 33 hits. The song was turned down by The Everly Brothers and Elvis Presley so Orbison decided to record the song himself.

1961 - The Beatles
The Beatles played a lunchtime show at The Cavern Club, Liverpool and tonight they appeared at The Village Hall in Knotty Ash, Liverpool.

1962 - Boris Pickett
Bobby 'Boris' Pickett and the Crypt Kickers started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Monster Mash', it became a No.3 in the UK eleven years later in 1973. The song had been Banned by The BBC in the UK, deemed offensive.

1964 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones played their first live concert in France when they appeared at the Paris Olympia.

1967 - Davy Jones
Davy Jones of The Monkees opened his own 'Zilch', boutique in Greenwich Village, New York City.

1969 - The Who
The Who played the first of six nights at New York's Filmore East performing a two-hour show featuring the songs from 'Tommy.'

1973 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Angie', the group's 7th US chart topper. A No.5 hit in the UK.

1976 - Led Zeppelin
The Led Zeppelin film 'The Song Remains The Same', premiered in New York City. The charity night raised $25,000 for the save the children fund.

1977 - Siouxsie Sioux
Siouxsie Sioux and Kenny Morris from The Banshees were arrested and held overnight at Holloway police station, London for causing an obstruction after a London gig, they were both fined £20.

1977 - Ronnie Van Zant
Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines and Cassie Gaines from Lynyrd Skynyrd were all killed along with manager Dean Kilpatrick when their rented plane ran out of fuel and crashed into a densely wooded thicket in the middle of a swamp in Gillsburg, Mississippi. The crash seriously injured the rest of the band and crew who were due to play at Louisiana University that evening.

1978 - The Police
The Police made their US debut at C.B.G.B.S, New York. The trio had flown on low cost tickets with Laker AirTran from the UK, carrying their instruments as hand luggage.

1979 - Eagles
The Eagles started a nine week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'The Long Run', the bands fourth US No.1.

1983 - Merle Travis
American country and western singer, songwriter, Merle Travis died of a heart attack aged 65. Acknowledged as one of the most influential American guitarist's of the twentieth century. Wrote 'Sixteen Tons' 1955 US No.1 for Ernie Ford. He appeared in the 1953 movie From Here to Eternity singing ‘Reenlistment Blues’.

1984 - Wham!
Wham! started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Freedom', the duo's second No.1. The song was used in a Japanese commercial for Maxell audio cassettes, with altered lyrics.

2003 - Amy Winehouse
Amy Winehouse released her debut album Frank, (named after Frank Sinatra). The album has now sold over one million copies in the UK.

2003 - Cheryl Tweedy
A jury found Girls Aloud singer Cheryl Tweedy guilty of assaulting a nightclub worker. The singer was sentenced to complete 120 hours of unpaid community service and was ordered to pay her victim £500 compensation, plus £3,000 of prosecution costs. The singer had denied attacking toilet attendant Sophie Amogbokpa, saying she only punched her in self-defence. The charges stemmed from an incident at the Drink nightclub in Guildford, Surrey, on 11 January.

2005 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson received a jury summons at his Neverland ranch in California four months after he was acquitted on child molestation charges. A spokesperson said it was likely he would be excused from serving due to the fact that he has lived in Bahrain since the trial.

2006 - George Michael
George Michael openly smoked a cannabis joint during an interview on a TV show. The singer was filmed backstage in Madrid, Spain where the drug is legal. Michael said ‘It’s the only drug I’ve ever thought worth taking, this stuff keeps me sane and happy. But it’s not very healthy.’

2007 - Killing Joke
Paul Raven, bassist with post-punk band Killing Joke, died of a suspected heart attack aged 46 in Geneva, Switzerland, where he was recording. He left the band in 1987 before forming Murder Inc and joining Ministry, Prong and Mob Research.

2011 - Bob Dylan
US photographer Barry Feinstein, best known for taking enduring pictures of musicians such as Bob Dylan and George Harrison died aged 80. Feinstein was responsible for capturing more than 500 record sleeves, including Harrison's All Things Must Pass album and the cover photograph for Dylan's album The Times They Are A-Changing. The Rolling Stones sleeve for Beggars Banquet shot in a graffiti-covered toilet, was also Feinstein's work.

2014 - John Holt
John Holt, reggae singer and songwriter who first found fame as a member of the Paragons, died aged 67. Holt penned 'The Tide Is High' made famous by Blondie.

2014 - George Harrison
The childhood home of former Beatle George Harrison sold at an auction at The Cavern Club for £156,000, ($250,000). The three-bedroom mid-terrace home was where The Quarrymen held some of their first rehearsals before the band evolved into the The Beatles in 1960.

Born on this day: 
1890 - Jelly Roll Morton.
1939 - Ray Jones. 
1939 - Jay Siegel. 
1940 - Kathy Kirby. 
1942 - John Carter. 
1945 - Ric Lee. 
1950 - Tom Petty. 
1951 - Alan Greenwood. 
1955 - Mark Feltham. 
1958 - Mark King. 
1964 - David Ryan. 
1964 - Jim Sonefild. 
1965 - Norman Blake. 
1971 - Dannii Minogue. 
1971 - Snoop Doggy Dogg. 
1977 - Nicholas Hodgson. 
1978 - Paul Wilson. 
1989 - Jess Glynne. 

That is today's history in music. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.
P.S Tomorrow's post will be a late post.  

MOHLovesAlaska

On this day in the history of music:

1958 - Buddy Holly
Buddy Holly's last recording session took place at Pythian Temple Studios, New York City. The songs recorded included 'Raining In My Heart', 'Moondreams' and 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore' which became a No.1 hit.

1965 - Bill Black
Bill Black, Elvis Presley's bass player, (1954-57), died four months after receiving surgery to remove a brain tumor, aged 39. With guitarist Scotty Moore, and Elvis Presley on rhythm guitar, Black played on ‘That's All Right (Mama)’, Heartbreak Hotel, ‘Baby Let's Play House’, ‘Mystery Train’, ‘Hound Dog’; ‘Jailhouse Rock’ in the late 1950s. Black, Scotty Moore and drummer D. J. Fontana toured extensively during Presley's early career. After leaving Presley Black formed Bill Black's Combo.

1965 - The Beatles
Wanting to improve on a previous recording session The Beatles started from scratch on a new song called 'Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)', finishing recordings in three takes. They also begin working on another new John Lennon song 'Nowhere Man.'

1965 - The Spencer Davis Group
The Spencer Davis Group recorded 'Keep On Running' at Pye Studios in London, England. The track went on to top the UK chart next January.

1967 - Lulu
Scottish singer Lulu started a five-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the theme from the film 'To Sir With Love'.

1972 - Chuck Berry
Chuck Berry started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'My Ding-A-Ling', his first and only US and UK No.1, 17 years after his first chart hit.

1972 - Curtis Mayfield
Curtis Mayfield started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with soundtrack to 'Superfly'.

1976 - The Who
Keith Moon played his last show with The Who at the end of a North American tour at Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto. On September 7, 1978, Moon died of an overdose of a sedative Heminevrin, that had been prescribed to prevent seizures induced by alcohol withdrawal.

1978 - Bernie Rhodes
The Clash sacked manager Bernie Rhodes, saying the band and record company 'found him hard to deal with'. Melody Maker journalist Caroline Coon took his place.

1989 - Jive Bunny
Jive Bunny And The Mastermixes had their second UK No.1 single with 'That's What I Like.' The Theme from Hawaii Five-O was the recurring hook in the record which also included 'Lets Twist Again', 'Lets Dance', 'Great Balls of Fire' and 'The Twist'.

1992 - George Michael
George Michael took Sony Records to court in a fight over his contract with the company; he lost the case in 1994. Michael worked with Sony again less than 10 years later.

1995 - Billie Joe
Green Day singer Billie Joe was arrested and fined $141 after mooning at the audience during a gig in Milwaukee.

1997 - Elton John
Elton John's 'Candle In The Wind 97' was declared by the Guinness Book Of Records as the biggest selling single record of all time, with 31.8 million sales in less than 40 days and raising more than £20 million for charity.

2006 - Sandy West
American musician, singer, songwriter, and drummer Sandy West died. Founding member (with Joan Jett) of all girl group The Runaways, hailed by fans and critics alike to be one of the most groundbreaking drummers in rock and roll history.

2006 - John Peel
British broadcaster John Peel left over £1.8m and over 25,000 vinyl records in his will. Peel died suddenly at the age of 65 from a heart attack in 2004.

2006 - Evanescence
Evanescence were at No.1 on the US album chart with their second album 'The Open Door.' It became the 700th No.1 album in Billboard since the chart became a weekly feature in 1956.

2007 - Kid Rock
Kid Rock and five members of his entourage were arrested after an argument with a man escalated into a fight in a restaurant in Atlanta, Georgia. Kid Rock's tour bus was pulled over by police after it left the scene; Rock was released after posting $1,000 (£490) bail. Kid Rock also had the No.1 album on the US chart with 'Rock N Roll Jesus' his eleventh album release and first to debut at the top of the chart.

2014 - Wilko Johnson
Former Dr Feelgood guitarist Wilko Johnson said he has been "cured" of the terminal pancreatic cancer with which he was diagnosed in 2012. The 67-year-old was initially given 10 months to live after rejecting chemotherapy, but had radical surgery to remove the tumor earlier this year.

Born On This Day In The Music World: 
1940 - Manfred Mann. 
1941 - Steve Cropper. 
1942 - Elvin Bishop. 
1943 - Ron Elliott. 
1946 - Lux Interior. 
1946 - Lee Loughnane. 
1947 - Tetsu Yamauchi. 
1948 - John Bundrick. 
1952 - Brent Mydland. 
1953 - Charlotte Caffey. 
1954 - Eric Faulkner. 
1957 - Attila The Stockbroker. 
1957 - Julian Cope. 
1957 - Steve Lukather. 
1959 - Rose McDowell. 
1971 - Nick Oliveri. 
1971 - Tony Mortimer. 

That is today's history in music. Have a great day. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for this, @MOHLovesAlaska. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

AlyssaPandora, thank you, and your welcome. I do enjoy doing this. Have a great day. Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

On This Day In The History Of Music:

1964 - The Who 

The Who then known as The High Numbers, receive a letter from EMI Records, asking them for original material after their recent audition for the company.

1964 - Sandie Shaw
Sandie Shaw had her first UK No.1 single with the Burt Bacharach song '(There's) Always Some Thing There To Remind Me'.

1966 - The Supremes
The Supremes became the first female group to have a No.1 album on the US char with 'The Supremes a Go Go', knocking The Beatles Revolver from the top of the charts.

1966 - Beach Boys
The Beach Boys ‘Good Vibrations’ made its debut on the US singles chart. Written by Brian Wilson and Mike Love, the track was recorded over six weeks in four different Los Angeles studios, at a cost of over $16,000. The recording engineer would later say that the last take sounded exactly like the first, six months earlier. The record would reach No.1 on the US charts in December 1966.

1969 - Tommy Edwards
American singer Tommy Edwards died after suffering a brain aneurysm in Henrico County, Virginia, at the age of 47. Had the 1958 US & UK No.1 single 'It's All In The Game'.

1969 - Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney publicly denied rumors that he was dead. The most recent of many "clues" of this Death Hoax was the fact that he was the only barefoot Beatle on the newly released Abbey Road LP cover. The story was actually started as a prank by Fred La Bour, a sports and arts writer for the student paper, The Michigan Daily at the University of Michigan.

1969 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II was released on Atlantic Records in the UK. The Jimmy Page produced album which was recorded over six months between four European and three American tours, peaked at No.1 in both the UK and US, going on to sell over 12 million copies in the US alone, (and spending 138 weeks on the UK chart). The album is now recognized by writers and music critics as one of the greatest and most influential rock albums ever recorded.

1986 - Jane Dornacker
Jane Dornacker was killed in a helicopter crash during a live traffic report for WNBC radio in New York. Listeners heard the terrified voice of Dornacker screaming.

1988 - Phil Collins
Phil Collins started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with his version of 'Groovy Kind Of Love', his 6th US No.1. The song was also a hit for The Mindbenders, the group that backed Wayne Fontana in 1965.

1988 - U2
U2 scored their fourth UK No.1 album with the double set and film soundtrack 'Rattle And Hum', featuring their first UK No.1 single 'Desire'.

1989 - Ewan MacColl
English folk singer, songwriter, poet, and record producer Ewan MacColl died aged 74. He wrote 'Dirty Old Town' and 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face', (became a No.1 hit for Roberta Flack in 1972). Acts including Planxty, The Dubliners, Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash recorded his songs. He was the father of singer, songwriter Kirsty MacColl.

1990 - Pearl Jam
Pearl Jam played their first ever concert when they appeared at the Off Ramp in Seattle.

1993 - Oasis
Oasis signed a six-album deal with Creation Records for a £40,000 advance.

1996 - Beatles
It was announced that, "The Beatles were now bigger than The Beatles". The statement was based on sales so far this year, having sold 6,000,000 albums from their back catalogue and a combined total of 13,000,000 copies of ‘The Beatles Anthology 1’ and ‘The Beatles Anthology 2’. With the release of ‘The Beatles Anthology 3’ a week away, it was anticipated that total Beatles album sales for 1996 would exceed 20 million. A poll showed 41 percent of sales were to teenagers who were not born when The Beatles officially called it quits in 1970.

1999 - Sinead O'Connor
It was reported that Sinead O’Connor was attempting to buy the church where she was ordained into the Catholic sisterhood. The church was on the market for £70,000.

2000 - George Michael
George Michael paid £1.45m for the Steinway piano on which John Lennon wrote 'Imagine'. George said, "I know that when my fingers touch the keys of that Steinway, I will feel truly blessed. And parting with my money has never been much of a problem, just ask my accountant." The singer outbid Robbie Williams and The Oasis brothers.

2000 - Pearl Jam
Pearl Jam appeared at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, California, celebrating the tenth anniversary of their first live performance as a band.

2003 - Elliot Smith
Elliot Smith, US singer songwriter, committed suicide aged 34. One time member of Stranger Than Fiction, solo 1997 album 'Either/Or'.

2005 - Abba
Waterloo by ABBA was voted the best song in the history of the Eurovision Song Contest. Viewers in 31 countries across Europe voted during a special show in Copenhagen to celebrate the annual event's 50th birthday.

2008 - Paul McCartney
A homeless man claimed a £2,000 reward by returning a waxwork head of ex-Beatle Sir Paul McCartney which had been left on a train. Anthony Silva found the item in a bin at Reading station after auctioneer Joby Carter left it under a seat at Maidenhead station. The homeless man thought it was a Halloween mask and had been using it as a pillow before realizing what it was. The wax model sold the following week for £5,500 at auction.

2014 - Kasabian
Kasabian won best live act and best act in the world at the Q Awards held in London, England. Former Dr Feelgood guitarist Wilko Johnson was named a Q Icon, Elbow's The Take Off and Landing of Everything, was named best album, Paolo Nutini's Iron Sky received the best track award, while 22-year-old soul singer Sam Smith was named best new act.

2017 - George Young
Australian musician, songwriter and record producer George Young died aged 70. Young, the brother of AC/DC's Angus and Malcolm Young, was a member of the Easybeats and co-wrote the band's 1966 hit 'Friday On My Mind'. Born in Scotland in 1946, he migrated to Australia with his family as a teenager, forming The Easybeats after he met Dutch-born artist Harry Vanda in Sydney. After the band broke up in 1969, Vanda and Young embarked on a songwriting career that saw the pair produce dozens of hits. They became two of Australia's best-known songwriters, with Young's work including 'Love Is In The Air' and 'Yesterday's Hero' both hits for John Paul Young.

Born on this day in the music world:  
1942 - Bobby Fuller. 
1945 - Leslie West. 
1946 - Eddie Brigati. 
1956 - Stiv Bators. 
1968 - Shaggy. 
1968 - Shelby Lynne. 
1976 - Jon Foreman. 
1983 - Plan B. 
1985 - Zachary Hanson. 

That is today's history of music. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska

On This Day In The History Of Music: 

1961 - Dion
Dion started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Runaround Sue', it reached No.11 in the UK.
1962 - Stevie Wonder
12 year old Little Stevie Wonder recorded his first single for Motown Records, 'Thank You For Loving Me All The Way' backed by the Funk Brothers.
1963 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan recorded 'The Times They Are A-Changin' at Columbia Recording Studios in New York City. Dylan wrote the song as a deliberate attempt to create an anthem of change for the time, influenced by Irish and Scottish ballads. In January 1984, a young Steve Jobs would recite the second verse of 'The Times They Are a-Changin' during his opening of the 1984 Annual Apple Shareholders Meeting, where he famously unveiled the Macintosh computer for the first time.
1963 - The Beatles
The Beatles completed the final session for their second album 'With the Beatles' recording 'I Wanna Be Your Man.' The group then drove to London airport for a flight to Stockholm, Sweden to start their first foreign tour. The Fab four were met at Stockholm airport by hundreds of girl fans that had taken the day of school.
1963 - Everly Brothers
The Everly Brothers, Little RichardBo Diddley, Mickie Most, The Rolling Stones, Julie Grant and The Flintstones all appeared at Odeon Theatre, Nottingham, England.
1964 - Buddy and the Kings
All four members of US band Buddy and the Kings were killed when they hired a Cessna Skyhawk to take them to a gig in Harris County. Piloted by the bands drummer Bill Daniels, the plane crashed nose first killing all on board. Singer with the group Harold Box had replaced Buddy Holly in The Crickets after his death in a plane crash. He sang lead vocals on 'Peggy Sue Got Married.' The Great Gig In The Sky.
1966 - Jimi Hendrix
The Jimi Hendrix Experience recorded their first single 'Hey Joe', at De Lane Lea studios in London. The earliest known commercial recording of the song is the late-1965 single by the Los Angeles garage band the The Leaves; the band then re-recorded the track and released it in 1966 as a follow-up single which became a hit.
1976 - Clash
The Jam played an afternoon show in Soho Market, London, England and in the evening, The Clash appeared at The ICA in London.
1976 - Chicago
Chicago started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'If You Leave Me Now'. It was the group's 18th Top 40 and first US No.1, also a No.1 in the UK. It went on to win a Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Performance.
1976 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin made their US television debut on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, they performed ‘Black Dog’ and ‘Dazed And Confused’.
1980 - John Lennon
Mark David Chapman quit his security job and signed out for the last time. Instead of the usual "Chappy" he wrote "John Lennon". Chapman would murder Lennon on December 8th of this year outside his New York City home.
1982 - Culture Club
Culture Club were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me', the group's first chart topper and the first of 12 UK Top 40 hits. The song became a major hit after their memorable debut performance on Top Of The Pops when they stood in for Shakin' Stevens who was ill and not able to appear.
1989 - Nirvana
Nirvana played their first ever European show when they appeared at Newcastle's Riverside Club in North East England. It was the first night of a 36 date European tour for the group who were sharing the bill with Tad.
1995 - Def Leppard
Def Leppard gave themselves a place in the Guinness book Of World Records, by playing three gigs in three continents in 24 hours. Tangier, London and Vancouver.
1999 - Los Lobos
The wife of Los Lobos singer Sandra Ann-Rosas disappeared. Police charged her half brother Gabriel Gomez with the kidnapping and murder.
2002 - Kanye West
Kanye West was involved in a car crash after he fell asleep at the wheel while driving home from a recording studio in West Hollywood. No other cars were involved in the incident which left West with his jaw fractured in three places.
2002 - Chuck Berry
A federal judge in St. Louis dismissed a lawsuit against Chuck Berry by Johnnie Johnson, a piano player and former collaborator who wanted royalties for more than 30 songs written between 1955 and 1966. The songs in question included ‘No Particular Place To Go’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, and ‘Sweet Little Sixteen’. Johnson's lawsuit argued that he and Berry were co-writers on many of the songs, but because Berry copyrighted them in his name alone, Johnson got none of the royalties. The judge ruled that too many years had passed to bring about a royalties suit.
2005 - Arctic Monkeys
Arctic Monkeys scored their first UK No.1 single with 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor', the Sheffield bands debut single.
2006 - Amy Winehouse
Amy Winehouse released her "signature song" 'Rehab' as a single, taken from her second studio album, Back to Black. The lyrics are autobiographical, and talk about Winehouse's refusal one time to enter a rehabilitation clinic. It won three Grammy Awards, including Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance and also won an Ivor Novello Award for Best Contemporary Song.
2007 - Foxy Brown
Rapper Foxy Brown was given 11 weeks in solitary confinement after fighting with another inmate in prison. She was also said to have been abusive to guards and refused to take a random drug test. Brown was serving a year in jail for violating her probation after a fight she had in a New York nail
salon.
2007 - Illegal Downloads
British and Dutch police shut down a "widely-used" source of illegally-downloaded music after raids in Teesside and Amsterdam as part of an Interpol investigation into the members-only website OiNK. The UK-run site had leaked 60 major pre-release albums this year alone.
2008 - Beyoncé
Beyoncé went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'If I Were A Boy', the singers fourth UK No.1 hit. Taken from her third solo album, I Am’ Sasha Fierce.
2012 - Bee Gees
It was reported that Bee Gees star Robin Gibb, who died last May at the age of 62, left an estate worth £93 million, ($148 million).
2014 - Alvin Stardust
Alvin Stardust died after a short illness. His death came just weeks before he was due to release his first album after 30 years. He had recently been diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer. The UK singer first performed under the name of Shane Fenton.
2015 - Adele
Adele released 'Hello' as the lead track from her third studio album, 25. The music video for the song broke the Vevo Record by achieving over 27.7 million views within 24-hours and entered the top of the UK Singles Chart with 333,000 combined sales, of which 259,000 were downloads, making it the biggest selling No.1 single on the UK chart in three years.
2015 - Jamie Lawson
Jamie Lawson, the first act signed to Ed Sheeran's Gingerbread Man label, topped the UK album chart with his self titled new record. Lawson had released his first album 12 years ago.
2016 - Pete Burns
English singer-songwriter and television personality Pete Burns died following a sudden cardiac arrest. He was a member of the Mystery Girls (with Pete Wylie and Julian Cope), and then Dead Or Alive who scored the 1985 UK No.1 single 'You Spin Me Round, Like A Record'.
2019 - Coldplay
The track list for Coldplay's forthcoming album was exclusively announced for the first time in a classified advert in the North Wales Daily Post. The ad appeared alongside items for sale including a fridge freezer and a bale of hay, and below a Welsh Government public notice. Coldplay has strong links to North Wales, with the band's guitarist Jonny Buckland having grown up in Pantymwyn, near Mold. The band had been drip-feeding details of their new double album Everyday Life with a series of hints.

Born On This Day In The Music World: 
1940 - Freddie Marsden. 
1943 - Greg Ridley. 
1949 - Michael Burston. 
1953 - Pauline Black. 
1956 - Dwight Yoakum. 
1957 - Kelly Marie. 
1959 - Weird Al Yankovic. 
1964 - Roberto Trujillo. 
1972 - Richard McNamara.

And that is music history for today. Enjoy today's reading. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe. 
MOHLovesAlaska

This post for "This Day In Music History" will have to be split in two posts. Each post only allows 20,000 characters within it. Today's post exceeds that limit. So, of course this will be post #1.

1962 - James Brown
US Soul singer James Brown recorded his legendary 'Live At The Apollo' album. The album was listed at No.24 in Rolling Stone magazine's 2003 list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
1963 - The Beatles
On the first day of their first foreign tour, The Beatles spent the day in Stockholm, Sweden, recording a performance for a radio program entitled "The Beatles popgrupp fran Liverpool pa besok i Stockholm", (The Beatles pop group from Liverpool visiting Stockholm). The Beatles, enthused by the chance to play before an audience that wasn't screaming, played seven songs, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘From Me to You’ ‘Money’, ‘You Really Got a Hold On Me’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’ and ‘Twist and Shout.’
1966 - The Monkees
Newsweek interviewed The Monkees. They are asked how the music is created. Singer Davy Jones tells them, "This isn't a rock 'n' roll group. This is an act."
1970 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd were at No.1 on the UK album chart with the 'Atom Heart Mother', the group's first No.1. The album cover shows a cow standing in a pasture with no text nor any other clue as to what might be on the record.
1973 - John Lennon
John Lennon began litigation against the US government, accusing them of tapping his telephone.
1977 - Keith Richards
Rolling Stone Keith Richards was fined £205 after admitting having cannabis, Chinese heroin, mandrax tablets and a revolver at his Chelsea home in the UK. Later in the evening, Keith and Anita Pallenberg accidentally set fire to their London hotel bedroom.
1979 - Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney received a medallion cast in rhodium after being declared the most successful composer of all time. From 1962 to 1978, McCartney had written or co-written 43 songs that had sold over a million copies each.
1987 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Bad', a No.3 hit in the UK. A music video for 'Bad', directed by Martin Scorsese and co-starring one of the first appearances of yet-undiscovered Wesley Snipes, was released in late 1987.

This is the end of Post #1.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post #2 Of this day in music history:

1987 - Sting
Sting went to No.1 on the UK album chart with his third solo release 'Nothing Like The Sun.' The title comes from Shakespeare's Sonnet No.130 ("My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun"), which Sting used in the song "Sister Moon". The album won Best British Album at the 1988 Brit Awards.
1998 - Ian Brown
Former Stone Roses lead singer Ian Brown was jailed for 4 months after being found guilty of disorderly behavior during a flight from Paris to Manchester. Brown had threatened to chop the hands off an air stewardess during a heated exchange.
1998 - Spacedust
Spacedust went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with Gym and Tonic. Spacedust were the production duo of Paul Glancey and Duncan Glasson. The track was a cover of Bob Sinclair's single 'Gym and Tonic'.
1999 - Westlife
Westlife went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Flying Without Wings'. It made the Irish boy band only the third act to debut at No.1 with their first three singles, B*Witched and Robson and Jerome being the other two.
2001 - Kim Gardner
Kim Gardner former bassist with Ashton Gardner & **ahem** died of Cancer. Had the 1971 UK No.3 single 'The Resurrection Shuffle' and Gardner formed 60s band The Birds with guitarist Ronnie Wood.
2002 - Tom Dowd
American record producer Tom Dowd died of emphysema. He recorded albums by many artists including: Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Derek and the Dominos, Rod Stewart, Aretha Franklin, Cream, Lulu, Chicago, The Allman Brothers Band, The J. Geils Band, Meat Loaf, Sonny & Cher, The Rascals, Willie Nelson, Diana Ross, Kenny Loggins, Dusty Springfield, The Drifters and Otis Redding.
2004 - Queen
Queen became the first rock act to receive an official seal of approval in Iran. Western music was still strictly censored in the Islamic republic, where homosexuality is considered a crime, but an album of Queen's greatest hits was released this week in Iran. Freddie Mercury, was proud of his Iranian ancestry, and illegal bootleg albums and singles had made Queen one of the most popular bands in Iran.
2005 - Madonna
Madonna gave a surprise lecture at a New York university, discussing her career and new film after she arrived unannounced at City University's Hunter College as part of the MTV series Stand In. Students expected a screening of her new documentary, "I'm Going To Tell You a Secret" but they were also given the chance to question the singer.
2006 - Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift released her self-titled debut studio album. Swift was 16 years old at the time of the album's release and the album went on the top the Country Albums Chart for 24 non-consecutive weeks selling over seven million copies. The album also became the longest-charting album on the Billboard 200 of the 2000s decade, remaining on the chart for 277 weeks in total.
2006 - Kurt Cobain
Forbes.com revealed that Kurt Cobain had overtaken Elvis Presley as the highest earning dead celebrity. Cobain's work earned $50m (£27m) in the 12 months to October 2006, compared with Presley's $42m (£22m). Former Beatle John Lennon earned $35m (£19m).
2006 - Foxy Brown
Rapper Foxy Brown was sentenced to three years probation for assaulting two New York nail salon workers in 2004. Brown had kicked and punched employees during a dispute over payment for a pedicure and manicure in August 2004. She had been threatened with jail after failing to turn up to court.
2007 - Babyshambles
A judge removed a drug treatment order for Babyshambles singer Pete Doherty when he appeared at Thames Magistrates' Court for a review of the order. District Judge Jane McIvor told the singer she was going to revoke the six months left to serve on the order after advice from experts.
2013 - 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
NME published their latest '500 Greatest Albums of All Time' list. The top 5 read: 1. The Smiths - 'The Queen Is Dead', 2. The Beatles - 'Revolver' 3. David Bowie - 'Hunky Dory', 4. The Strokes - 'Is This It' and at 5. The Velvet Underground & Nico - 'The Velvet Underground'.
2013 - Simon Webbe
Simon Webbe, singer with boy band Blue, was declared bankrupt despite releasing an album with the group earlier this year. Bandmate Duncan James also filed for bankruptcy in the same year and a third group member, Antony Costa, had also spoken about his financial problems after the band originally broke up in 2005.
2016 - Bobby Vee
American singer Bobby Vee died age 73. Vee had 38 chart hits, ten of which reached the Top 20. Vee's recording of 'Take Good Care of My Baby' in the summer of 1961 went to No.1 in the US and No.3 in the UK. Vee's career began in the midst of tragedy. On February 3, 1959, "The Day the Music Died," when Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper, were killed in an airplane. Vee then 15 years old, and a hastily assembled band of Fargo schoolboys calling themselves the Shadows volunteered for and were given the unenviable job of filling in for Holly and his band at their next gig. Their performance was a success, setting in motion a chain of events that led to Vee's career as a popular singer.
2017 - Fats Domino
American pianist and singer-songwriter Fats Domino died aged 89 at his home in Harvey, Louisiana after a long-term illness. Domino attracted national attention with his first recording, ‘The Fat Man’, made in late 1949 for Imperial Records, an early rock-and-roll record. ‘The Fat Man’ sold one million copies by 1953 and it is widely considered the first rock-and-roll record to achieve this feat. Domino had 35 records in the US Billboard Top 40. Domino’s 1956 version of ‘Blueberry Hill’ was selected for the Library of Congress’s National Recording Registry of historic sound recordings worthy of preservation.
2018 - Tony Joe White
US singer, songwriter Tony Joe White died of a heart attack on, at the age of 75. He is best known for his 1969 US No.8 single, 'Polk Salad Annie' (also recorded by Elvis Presley and Tom Jones) and ‘Rainy Night in Georgia’ which he wrote but was first made popular by Brook Benton in 1970. He also wrote 'Steamy Windows' a UK No.13 single for Tina Turner.
2018 - Wah Wah Watson
American guitarist and session musician Wah Wah Watson, (Melvin Ragin) died aged 67. He was famed for his skills with a wah-wah pedal and became a member of the Motown Records studio band, The Funk Brothers, where he recorded with The Temptations (his guitar work on 'Papa Was A Rollin' Stone'), The Jackson 5, The Four Tops, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Marvin Gaye and The Supremes. He also appeared on Michael Jackson's Off The Wall album.
2019 - Kanye West
During an interview with Zane Lowe for his Apple Music Beats 1 show Kanye West declared that he was ‘Unquestionably, undoubtedly the greatest human artist of all time.’ The 42-year-old Rapper also predicted that he will one day be president of the US as he defended his support of Donald Trump.

Born on this day in the music world:  1944 - Ted Templeman. 1946 - John Bettis. 1946 - Jerry Edmonton. 1947 - Edgar Broughton. 1948 - Dale Griffin. 1948 - Paul and Barry Ryan. 1962 - Debbie Googe. 1969 - Rob Green. 1970 - Alonza Bevan. 1971 - Ed Chester. 1978 - Sabrina Washington. 1979 - Ben Gillies. 1980 - Monica. 1986 - Drake. 

That is music history for today. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Bailey1234
Opening Act

Loving the hits people

Bailey1234
Opening Act

you too man

chelsie953
Underground

i love you you guys#LOL

On this day in the history of music: Post/Part 1 (20,000 character limit per post) 

1958 - Cliff Richard
Cliff Richard made his British radio debut on the BBC's 'Saturday Club.' The show had started life as Saturday "Skiffle" club in 1957 hosted by Brian Matthew and was broadcast from 10am to 12noon Saturday mornings on the BBC Light Programme.

1963 - The Beatles
The Beatles kicked off their first tour of Sweden by playing two shows at Nya Aulan, Sundstavagen, Karlstad, Sweden. The local pop reviewer was not impressed, saying The Beatles should be grateful to their screaming fans for drowning out the group's terrible performance, adding that The Beatles "were of no musical importance whatsoever and that their local support group, The Phantoms, decidedly outshone them."

1964 - Ed Sullivan
The Rolling Stones appeared for the first time on The Ed Sullivan Show from New York, performing ‘Around And Around’ and ‘Time Is On My Side’. A riot broke out in the studio, prompting Sullivan’s infamous quote, ‘I promise you they’ll never be back on our show again.’ The Rolling Stones went on to make a further five appearances on Sullivan’s show between 1965 and 1969.

1966 - Jeff Healey
Aged 7 months old, Jeff Healey had his right eye surgical removed (and subsequently his left eye, 4 months later), and replaced with artificial ones, necessitated by a form of cancer of the eyes called retinoblastoma. Three years later Healey was given his first guitar by his father. At the age of 13, the Canadian guitarist formed his first band, Blue Direction. (A side note: Jeff Healey also was the singer in the movie Road House, for those who did not know.)

1968 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin played a gig at Surrey University, England. Although there are unconfirmed reports of earlier shows, this appears to be the band's first gig with their new name after initially performing as The New Yardbirds. In 2003 a poster for the Surrey gig (billing the group as The New Yardbirds) sold at auction for £2,400.

1968 - Jimi Hendrix
The double album 'Electric Ladyland' by the The Jimi Hendrix Experience was released. It was also made available as two albums with changed artwork after complaints about the naked women who were pictured on the sleeve. The female models were each paid £5 for the photo shoot and another £5 if they posed completely naked.

1969 - Archies
'Sugar Sugar' by The Archies was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. It stayed at the top for eight weeks, and was also No.1 in the US, selling over six million copies worldwide. The Archies were a rock group based on comic book characters.

1970 - President Nixon
Speaking at a US radio conference, President Nixon asked programmers to ban all songs containing drug references.

1975 - Art Garfunkel
Art Garfunkel was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of 'I Only Have Eyes For You.' Written in 1934 for the film Dames the song was a No.2 hit for Ben Selvin in 1934 and most notably a hit for The Flamingos in 1959.

1980 - Barbra Streisand
Barbra Streisand scored her fourth US No.1 album with 'Guilty.' Also on this day Streisand started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with a song written by the The Bee Gees 'Woman In Love', the singers only UK No.1.

1985 - Gary Holton
Actor and singer Gary Holton died of a drug overdose. Member of The Heavy Metal Kids, and one half of the duo Casino Steel. Holton appeared in the film Quadrophenia and UK TV's Auf
Wiedersehen Pet.

1985 - R.E.M. The Smiths and Tom Waits
R.E.M.The Smiths and Tom Waits all appeared on the music TV show The Tube broadcast live from Tyne Tree Television Studios, Newcastle upon Tyne, England.

1986 - Bon Jovi
Bon Jovi went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Slippery When Wet'. Featuring two US No.1 singles, 'You Give Love A Bad Name' and 'Livin' On A Prayer'. The album went on to sell over 8 million copies world wide.

1986 - Cyndi Lauper
For the first time in the history of the Billboard Hot 100, the top three spots were held by female solo acts. Cyndi Lauper's 'True Colors' held down the No.1 position, followed by Tina Turner's 'Typical Male' at No.2 and Janet Jackson's 'When I Think Of You' at No.3.

1989 - Nirvana
Nirvana and Tad appeared at the Duchess Of York, Leeds, England. The two acts were on the third night of their debut European tour.

1992 - Roger Miller
Roger Miller died of died of lung and throat cancer in hospital in Los Angeles. Scored the 1965 UK No.1 & US No.4 single 'King Of The Road’. Miller won eleven Grammy Awards as a songwriter and seven Tony awards for writing the music and lyrics for 'Big River'. The Proclaimers had the 1990 UK No.9 hit with their version of 'King Of The Road.'

1997 - Johnny Cash
After falling over on stage when reaching for a guitar pick, Johnny Cash announced during a gig in Michigan that he was suffering from Parkinson's disease.

End of post 1. 
MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

Post/ Part 2

1997 - Spice Girls
The Spice Girls went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Spice Up Your Life'. Taken from their second album 'Spiceworld' the single set new record, making them the only act to have their first five singles reach No.1.

2000 - William Martin
William Martin drummer with Sam The Sham & the Pharaohs died of a heart attack. The quintessential Tex-Mex band of the 1960s, had the 1965 US No.2 & UK No.11 single 'Wooly Bully'.

2001 - Jerry Garcia
13 law firms were still involved in claims to Grateful Dead guitarist Jerry Garcia's $10m estate six years after his death. Former wives & girlfriends continued to fight on how to distribute his estate and annual royalties of $4.6m.

2002 - Richard Harris
Richard Harris, who had the 1968 US No.2 & UK No.4 hit 'MacArthur Park' died of cancer. The 72-year-old Irish-born actor had been undergoing chemotherapy at a private clinic in London. Though he charted three other times, Harris was better known for his acting roles on stage and film, most recently playing Albus Dumbledore in two Harry Potter films.

2003 - Johnny Cash
Johnny Cash's step-daughter, Rosey Nix Adams and her fiddle player Jimmy Campbell were found dead on their tour bus in Clarksville, Tennessee from Carbon monoxide poisoning. Heaters that had been left on were blamed for the accident.

2004 - John Peel
John Peel died in Cuzco, Peru of a heart attack, aged 65. He was BBC’s longest-serving radio DJ and the first DJ to introduce the RamonesThe SmithsRod Stewart, Blur, the Sex PistolsT Rex and others to the masses. He founded Dandelion Records in 1969, and was also known for his ‘Peel Sessions’, releases of live radio sessions. Peel was appointed an OBE in 1998.

2007 - Akon
Three workers building the set for an Akon outdoor show at Emory University in Atlanta were taken to hospital after a canopy fell on top of them. The concert was later cancelled

2012 - Michael Jackson
Forbes magazine reported that Michael Jackson topped their list of highest-earning dead musical celebrities by earning $145 million in the past year. Elvis Presley ranked No.2 with $55 million in earnings, and Bob Marley No.3 with $17 million.

2014 - Jack Bruce
Jack Bruce, best known as one third of Cream died of liver disease aged 71. Bruce played bass, sang and was the principal songwriter in Cream, and his CV reads like a comprehensive guide to the British blues boom, with spells in Alexis Korner’s Blues Inc, the Graham Bond Organization, John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers and Manfred Mann.

2015 - Marlo Henderson
American guitarist and saxophonist Marlo Henderson died aged 67. As a session musician he played on albums such as Off the Wall by Michael Jackson and worked with Paul McCartney and Minnie Riperton.

1941 - Helen Reddy
Helen Reddy, Australian singer, songwriter who had the 1975 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'Angie
Baby'). Cher had previously turned down the song. Reddy died on 29 September 2020 age 78.

1944 - Jon Anderson
English singer and songwriter Jon Anderson, who was a member of The Warriors, and Yes who scored the 1983 UK No.28 & US No.1 single 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart'. Anderson is also noted for his solo career and collaborations with other artists, including Vangelis as Jon and Vangelis.

1944 - Taffy Danoff
Taffy Danoff, from American pop group Starland Vocal Band, who had the 1976 US No.1 & UK No.18 single 'Afternoon Delight' one of the biggest-selling singles of 1976.

1947 - John Hall
John Hall from the British pop, R&B and rock group The Equals who had the 1968 UK No.1 & US No.32 single 'Baby Come Back' written by Eddy Grant.

1948 - Glenn Tipton
English Grammy Award-winning guitar player and songwriter Glenn Tipton from Judas Priest who have sold over 50 million albums worldwide.

1950 - Chris Norman
Chris Norman, from English rock band Smokie who had the 1975 UK No.3 single 'If You Think You Know How To Love Me'. Their most popular hit single was 'Living Next Door to Alice'.

1951 - Richard Lloyd
Richard Lloyd, American guitarist with Television. The group's debut album, Marquee Moon, is often considered one of the defining releases of the punk era.

1955 - Matthias Jabs
Matthias Jabs, from German rock band Scorpions. Their 1990 power ballad 'Wind Of Change' topped the European charts and was a No.4 hit in the US. The Scorpions hold the record for the best-selling single by a German artist and band.

1960 - Christina Amphlett
Australian singer Christina Amphlett with The Divinyls who had the 1991 US No.4 & UK No.10 single, 'I Touch Myself'. Amphlett died on 21st April 2013 after battling breast cancer and multiple sclerosis.

1962 - Chad Smith
Chad Smith, drummer, Red Hot Chili Peppers (1992 UK No.26 single 'Under The Bridge', 2002 UK No.1 album 'By The Way').

1963 - John Leven
John Leven, Europe, (1986 UK No.1 single 'The Final Countdown').

1965 - Nick Thorp
Nick Thorp, from British pop band, Curiosity Killed The Cat who had the 1989 UK No.14 single 'Name And Number' and the UK No.1 album Keep Your Distance.

1968 - Todd Thomas
Todd Thomas, from American alternative hip hop group Arrested Development who scored the 1992 UK No.2 and US No. 8 single 'People Everyday'. The group won two Grammy Awards in 1993 for Best New Artist and Best Rap Performance and were also named Band of the Year by Rolling Stone
magazine.

1970 - Ed Robertson
Ed Robertson, guitar, with Canadian rock band Barenaked Ladies who scored the 1998 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'One Week'. The group has sold over 15 million records including albums and singles, and were inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in March of 2018.

1984 - Katy Perry
Katy Perry, American singer-songwriter, who scored the 2008 single ‘I Kissed a Girl’ which was a worldwide hit topping the charts in over than 20 countries. Her 2013 single 'Roar' gave the singer her eighth non-consecutive US No.1 hit.

1985 - Ciara
Ciara Princess Harris, US singer, songwriter, record producer, (2004 US No.1 single ‘Goodies’, 2006 US No.1 album Ciara: The Evolution).

That is history of music for today. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

Good morning all Pandorians. Welcome to a new week, a new Monday. This is what happened on this day in the history of music.  It looks like this mornings post will also be in two parts due to the 20,000 character limit per post. So obviously this will be post 2....just seeing if your awake on this Monday morning. 

Post 1:

1958 - Bill Haley
Bill Haley and his Comets played the first rock 'n' roll concert in Germany. Over 7,000 rock 'n' roll fans turned the show into a riot.

1962 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones (known as The Rollin' Stones), and consisting of Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Brian Jones pianist Ian Stewart and drummer Tony Chapman recorded their first demo tape at Curly Clayton Studios in Highbury, London. They recorded three songs, Jimmy Reed's 'Close Together', Bo Diddley's 'You Cant Judge A Book By The Cover' and Muddy Waters' 'Soon Forgotten.'

1965 - The Beatles
Queen Elizabeth II invested The Beatles with their MBE's at Buckingham Palace, London. According to an account by John Lennon the group smoked marijuana in one of the palace bathrooms to calm their nerves. Many former recipients gave their MBE's back in protest, to which John Lennon responded "Lots of people who complained about us receiving the MBE received theirs for heroism in the war, for killing people." He continued: "We received ours for entertaining other people. I'd say we deserve ours more."

1966 - Alma Cogan
English singer Alma Cogan died of stomach cancer aged 34. She scored the 1955 UK No.1 single 'Dreamboat', plus 20 other UK Top 40 hits. In the 50s Cogan was the most consistently successful female singer in the UK and the youngest female act to top the charts during the 50s.

1968 - San Francisco Pop Festival
The two day San Francisco Pop Festival was held at Alameda County Fairgrounds. The Animals, Procol Harum, Iron Butterfly, Jose Feliciano, Deep Purple, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Canned Heat all appeared.

1970 - Janis Joplin
A wake was held at the Lion's Share in San Ansel Mo, California to celebrate the life of Janis Joplin. The singer who died of an accidental drugs overdose had left $2,500 in her will to throw a wake party in the event of her demise. The party was attended by her sister Laura and Joplin's close friends; Brownies laced with hashish were unknowingly passed around amongst the guests. Joplin was cremated in the Pierce Brothers Westwood Village Mortuary in Los Angeles; her ashes were scattered from a plane into the Pacific Ocean and along Stinson Beach.

1979 - AC/DC
AC/DC appeared at The Mayfair, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, supported by Def Leppard. The bands were booked to appear the night before but after a fire at the venue in the afternoon, the show was cancelled.

1984 - Ozzy Osbourne
19-year-old John D. McCollum killed himself with a .22 caliber handgun after spending the day listening to Ozzy Osbourne records. One year later, McCollum's parents took court action against Ozzy and CBS Records, alleging that the song "Suicide Solution" from the album Blizzard of Ozz contributed to their son's death. The case was eventually thrown out of court.

1985 - Whitney Houston
Whitney Houston went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Saving All My Love For You', also a No.1 hit in the UK.

1991 - Bill Graham
Legendary Rock concert promoter Bill Graham was killed when the Bell 206B JetRanger III helicopter he was riding in struck the top of a Pacific Gas and Electric transmission tower near Sears Point, northwest of Vallejo and exploded. The crash, which left the helicopter's wreckage dangling near the top of the towering structure, killed Graham, his girlfriend Melissa Gold and pilot Steve Kahn. Graham had founded the Fillmore theaters in San Francisco and New York and had played key roles in supporting such bands as The Who, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Janis Joplin, The Band, Bob Dylan, The J. Geils Band, The Allman Brothers Band and The Rolling Stones.

1993 - Madonna
Catholic churches in San Juan, Puerto Rico asked residents to tie black ribbons on trees in protest against Madonna's first live appearance in the country.

1996 - Spice Girls
The Spice Girls had their second UK No.1 single when 'Say You'll Be There' started a two-week run at the top of the charts. The song included a harmonica solo, played by Judd Lander who also played the harmonica solo on Culture Club's 1984 hit 'Karma Chameleon'.

1999 - Hoyt Axton
American singer, songwriter and actor Hoyt Axton died of a heart attack in Victor, Montana aged 61. He wrote songs for, Elvis Presley, Three Dog Night, (1971 US No.1 'Joy To The World'), John Denver, Ringo Starr, Glen Campbell. His mother Mae Boren Axton wrote 'Heartbreak Hotel'.

2004 - U2
Apple launched the U2 Special Edition iPod as part of a partnership between Apple, U2 and Universal Music Group. The new U2 iPod held up to 5,000 songs and featured a red Click Wheel and custom engraving of U2 band member signatures. The iPod was being introduced as the band released their new album 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.'

This concludes post 1.   

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2:

2004 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley came top of a list of the highest-earning dead celebrities. Forbes.com listed the Top 5 dead music earners; 1. Elvis Presley $40m (£22m), 2. John Lennon $21m (£11m), 3. George Harrison $7m (£3.8m), 4. Bob Marley $7m and at 5. George and Ira Gershwin $6m.

2007 - Bob Dylan
1,730 guitarists played the immortal Bob Dylan classic, 'Knocking On Heaven's Door' in a bid to break a record in the state of Meghalaya, North East India. The guitarists hoped their achievement would earn them a place in the Guinness Book of World Records. The current Guinness World Record was held by a guitar-ensemble from Kansas City in the US when 1,683 guitarists, played Deep Purple's 'Smoke On The Water'.

2007 - TI
Rapper TI was released on $3m (£1.5m) bail in Atlanta after he was charged with unlawfully possessing firearms, unregistered machine guns and silencers. US Magistrate Judge Alan Baverman said the singer would remain under house arrest in Henry County, Georgia, being monitored 24 hours a day by a private firm paid for by himself. The rapper was also electronically tagged.

2007 - Pete Doherty
Pete Doherty was given a suspended prison term for drugs and motoring offences after admitting driving while uninsured, having no MOT and while in possession of crack cocaine, heroin, ketamine and cannabis. The Babyshambles singer was sentenced to four-months in jail, suspended for two years at West London Magistrates' Court. He was also given an 18-month supervision order and a 12-month drug rehabilitation order and ordered to pay a £475 fine for driving without insurance or an MOT.

2008 - AC/DC
AC/DC went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Black Ice' the Australian bands fifteenth studio album which went on to become a No.1 hit in 29 different countries and the second-best selling album of 2008.

2010 - Top Earning Dead Celebrities
Forbes Magazine released its annual list of the Top Earning Dead Celebrities. Michael Jackson led the way at $275 million, Elvis Presley was second at $60 million and John Lennon was fifth at $17 million.

2010 - Boy George
Former Culture Club vocalist Boy George stunned an audience in London, England after reportedly flying into a rage and tossing his drink on a woman who was talking during his show. Before emptying his glass on her from the stage, George was heard shouting, "Why don't you shut the f**k up, you rude c**t!"
(Talk about anger issues.)

2011 - Aerosmith
Aerosmith were forced to delay a concert in South America after Steven Tyler fell in his hotel bathroom. The singer suffered cuts to his face and lost two of his teeth ahead of a concert in Asuncion, Paraguay. He was said to have received stitches and had emergency dental work, forcing the gig to be postponed by 24 hours.

2011 - Amy Winehouse
A coroner's inquest on the death of Amy Winehouse reached a verdict of misadventure. The report explained that Winehouse's blood alcohol content was 416 mg per deciliter at the time of her death, more than five times the legal drink-drive limit. According to the coroner ‘The unintended consequences of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden death’.

2013 - Quincy Jones
Producer Quincy Jones was suing the estate of the late Michael Jackson for millions of dollars. He said the singer's estate and Sony Music Entertainment improperly re-edited songs to deprive him of royalties and production fees. Mr. Jones stated that they also broke an agreement giving him the right to remix master recordings for albums released after Jackson's death in 2009.

2015 - Justin Bieber
Justin Bieber cleaned up at the MTV's EMAs - (European Music Awards), winning best male, best North American act, best collaboration for 'Where Are You Now?', with Skrillex and Diplo, biggest fans and best look. One Direction won the prize for best pop, Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' won best song and Rihanna was named best female.

2019 - Kurt Cobain
A olive green Manhattan brand acrylic and mohair cardigan worn by Kurt Cobain during Nirvana's famed appearance on MTV Unplugged become the most expensive sweater sold at auction after fetching £260,388. A custom Fender guitar built in 1993 that Cobain used during the band's In Utero tour was also sold for £265,066.

2019 - Paul Barrere
American musician Paul Barrere died age 71. He was a member of Little Feat, which he joined in 1972. Barrere later played with Phil Lesh and Friends and also toured with Bob Dylan.

1911 - Mahalia Jackson
American gospel singer Mahalia Jackson. Known as the "Queen of Gospel Music" she recorded over 30 albums and became one of the most influential gospel singers in the world and was heralded internationally as a singer and civil rights activist. She died on 27 January 1972 of heart failure and diabetes complications aged 60.
1936 - Al Casey
Born on this day American guitarist Al Casey. Mainly noted for his work as a session musician and as a member of the Wrecking Crew, Casey worked with The Beach Boys, Phil Spector, Elvis Presley, Glen Campbell, The Association, The Monkees, Johnny Cash, Simon And Garfunkel, 5th Dimension, Harry Nilsson, The Partridge Family, Frank Sinatra, and Nancy Sinatra. Casey died on September 17, 2006, in Phoenix, Arizona aged 69.
1946 - Keith Hopwood
Keith Hopwood, guitarist with English beat rock band, Herman's Hermits who scored the 1964 UK No.1 single 'I'm Into Something Good' (cover of Earl-Jean's) and the 1965 US No.1 single 'Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter'.
1951 - Bootsy Collins
American musician and singer-songwriter Bootsy Collins. He played with James Brown, Parliament, Funkadelic, and Bootsy's Rubber Band.
1951 - Maggie Roche
Maggie Roche, singer, songwriter, The Roches, worked with Paul Simon and Loudon Wainwright.
1952 - David Was
David Was, founder of the American 1980s pop group group Was Not Was, who had the 1992 UK No.4 single 'Shake Your Head'. Was produced two soundtrack albums for the X-Files TV show and feature film.
1953 - Keith Strickland
Keith Strickland, guitar, keyboards, drums, with the American new wave band The B-52's. Best known for their 1978 debut single 'Rock Lobster and the 1990 UK No.2 & US No.3 single 'Love Shack'.
1962 - Steve Wren
Steve Wren, with English rock band Then Jericho who had the 1989 UK No.13 single 'Big Area'.
1963 - Natalie Merchant
Natalie Merchant, singer, songwriter from American alternative rock band 10,000 Maniacs that was founded in 1981. After the recording of MTV Unplugged (1993) Merchant left the band to pursue a solo career.
1965 - Judge Jules
Judge Jules, UK remixer, producer. He was voted best DJ in the world by DJ Mag in the year 1995.
1967 - Keith Urban
Keith Urban, country music singer, songwriter and guitarist whose commercial success has been mainly in the United States and Australia. In 1991, he released a self-titled debut album, and charted four singles in Australia before moving to the United States in 1992. Eventually, Urban found work as a session guitarist before starting a band known as The Ranch. Since 2006, he has been married to actress Nicole Kidman.
1978 - Mark Barry
Mark Barry, from English pop group BBMak who scored the 2001 UK No.5 single 'Back Here' which was also a No.1 hit in Japan.
1981 - Guy Sebastian
Guy Sebastian, Australian singer-songwriter, winner of the first Australian Idol series. (2003 Australian No.1 single, ‘Angels Brought Me Here’).
1986 - Schoolboy Q
Schoolboy Q, (Quincy Matthew Hanley), American hip hop artist who had the 2014 US No.1 album Oxymoron.

This concludes this day in history of music for today. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.   
MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for posting, @MOHLovesAlaska! 👍

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

AlyssaPandora   you are very much welcome, thank you for your interest. Have a great Monday, as well as a great week. Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

On this day in the history of music: 

Post 1 of 2: 

1957 - Buddy Holly
The Crickets  started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'That'll Be The Day'. It was also a No.3 hit in the US where it went on to sell over a million. The song was inspired by a trip to the movies by Holly, Jerry Allison and Sonny Curtis in June 1956. The John Wayne film The Searchers was playing and Wayne's frequently-used, world-weary catchphrase, "that'll be the day" inspired the young musicians.

1964 - Sonny and Cher
31 year old Salvatore Philip Bono married 18 year old Cherilyn Sarkisian La Pierre. For a time they performed together as Caesar and Cleo before changing the name of their act to Sonny and Cher. Their union lasted 12 years.

1966 - Four Tops
The  Four Tops  were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Reach Out I'll Be There.' The group's only UK No.1.

1969 - Muddy Waters
Muddy Waters was seriously injured in a car crash in Champagne, Illinois. Three people were killed in the accident.

1973 - Gladys Knight
Gladys Knight  and the Pips started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Midnight Train To Georgia'. It was the group's 18th Top 40 hit and first No.1. The record won the 1974 Grammy Award for Best R&B Vocal Performance By A Duo, Group Or Chorus and has become Knight's signature song.

1975 - Bruce Springsteen
After releasing the single and album  Bruce Springsteen  had the rare honor of simultaneous covers on both Time and Newsweek magazines in the US.

1977 - Baccara
Baccara were at No.1 in the UK singles chart with 'Yes Sir, I Can Boogie'. They were the first Spanish act to score a UK No.1, and first female duo to do so. 'Yes Sir, I Can Boogie' is also one of the thirty all-time singles to have sold 10 million (or more) copies worldwide.

1977 - Roy Estrada
American musician Roy Estrada known as a founding member of Little Feat and who also worked with  Frank Zappa  was convicted of sexual assault on a child. Estrada served six years in prison. In January 2012, he pleaded guilty to a charge of continuous sexual abuse of a child which happened in March 2008. In the plea bargain agreement, he was sentenced to 25 years in prison and is not eligible for parole

1979 - Elton John
During a US tour  Elton John  collapsed on stage at Hollywood's Universal Amphitheatre suffering from exhaustion.

1980 - John Lennon
Mark Chapman bought a five-shot .38 special for $169. A little over six weeks later, he would use the gun to kill  John Lennon  outside his New York City apartment.

1980 - Steve Took
Former  T. Rex  member Steve Took, choked to death on a cherry stone, after some magic mushrooms he had eaten, numbed all sensation in his throat, he was aged 31. Took was also a member of The Deviants with Pink Fairies members Twink and Mick Farren.

1984 - Grateful Dead
During a US tour  Grateful Dead  allocated a specific recording area for fans to bootleg the show; tonight's gig was in Berkeley, California.

1988 - U2
U2's film 'Rattle And Hum', received its world wide premiere in the group's hometown Dublin.

1989 - Adam Clayton
U2  bass player Adam Clayton was convicted of a drink driving offence by a Dublin court after being found driving twice over the legal limit. He was fined £500 and banned from driving for 1 year

1992 - Bo Diddley
Bo Diddley  took his ex-manager to court claiming he had taken $75,000 through unauthorized personal expenses.

2000 - Lonnie Donegan
Lonnie Donegan went to Buckingham Palace to receive his MBE for his services to pop music. Lonnie pioneered Skiffle in the 1950s and inspired a generation of teenagers to start bands.

2003 - Scott Weiland
Scott Weiland singer with The Stone Temple Pilots was arrested on his birthday in Hollywood, California, after being involved in a traffic collision. He was charged with driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol, but these charges were later dismissed after the singer successfully completed rehab and underwent subsequent drug tests.

2005 - 50 Cent
The distributor of rapper 50 Cent's new film said it would remove posters advertising the film after complaints they glorify gun violence. Posters for 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' showed 50 Cent holding a gun in his left hand and a microphone the other. Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael Antonovich wrote to Paramount Pictures urging them to take down the posters. The company said it had taken down one poster near a Los Angeles nursery school, and planned to remove more.

2006 - Amy Winehouse
Amy Winehouse  released her second and final studio album Back to Black. The album spawned five singles: 'Rehab', 'You Know I'm No Good', 'Back to Black', 'Tears Dry on Their Own' and 'Love Is a Losing Game' and won Best Pop Vocal Album at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards. Back to Black sold 3.58 million copies in the UK alone, becoming the UK's second best-selling album of the 21st century. Worldwide, the album has sold over 20 million copies.

End of post 1.    
MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

Post 2: 

2007 - Keith Richards
Keith Richards  marched with campaigners protesting against possible Sussex hospital cuts. The Stones guitarist joined 15,000 people for the walk through Chi Chester to oppose plans which could see St Richard's Hospital downgraded. A spokeswoman for the guitarist said: "Keith is a long-standing member of the West Wittering community and is pleased to lend his support to local efforts to save St Richard's Hospital.’

2007 - Moloko
Former Moloko singer Roisin Murphy was recovering in hospital after damaging her eye socket during a show in Russia. The singer hit her head on a chair during the show at Moscow's Ikra Club and was rushed to hospital for surgery. A spokesman said she lost "a lot of blood" and had severe concussion, but her vision was unaffected and she was "recovering well". 

2009 - Eric Clapton
Eric Clapton  pulled out of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert in New York City after he underwent an operation to remove gallstones. His place at the Madison Square Garden gig was taken by  Jeff Beck.

2013 - Lou Reed
Velvet Underground frontman Lou Reed died at the age of 71. An admitted hard drinker and drug user for many years, he underwent a liver transplant in Cleveland in April 2013. Afterwards he claimed on his website to be 'bigger and stronger' than ever

2014 - The Pet Shop Boys
The Pet Shop Boys' 'Always On My Mind' was voted the top cover version of all time in a BBC Music vote. The song, written by John Christopher, Mark James and Wayne Carson, was first made famous by Brenda Lee and  Elvis Presley  in 1972.  Johnny Cash's  cover of Nine Inch Nails' 'Hurt' came in second place, followed by The Stranglers' version of Dionne Warwick's 'Walk On By'.  Jimi Hendrix's  take on  Bob Dylan's 'All Along The Watchtower' came fourth and  Jeff Buckley's  cover of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' completed the top five.

2014 - Sting
The Last Ship, Sting's musical about shipbuilding in north-east England, opened on Broadway. The former frontman with  The Police  described watching the opening night as "an out-of-body experience".  Billy Joel Bruce Springsteen  and  Blondie's  Deborah Harry were among the first night audience at the Neil Simon Theatre.

2016 - John Lennon
A letter  John Lennon  wrote to the  Queen  explaining why he was returning his MBE was found tucked in a record sleeve from a £10 car boot haul. The anonymous owner took the document to a valuation day at  The Beatles  Story in Liverpool and discovered it was worth about £60,000. Lennon had returned the MBE in protest at Britain's involvement in a civil war.

2019 - Lewis Capaldi
Scottish singer, songwriter Lewis Capaldi achieved his first No.1 single in the US with ‘Someone You Loved’ after the track had spent 23 weeks in the US charts before reaching the top. The singer celebrated by painting his face in the style of the Stars and Stripes.

1933 - Floyd Cramer
Floyd Cramer, country piano player, (1961 UK No.1 single 'On The Rebound'). Worked with  Elvis Presley  on 'Heartbreak Hotel'  and other hits. Cramer died on 31st December 1997.

1949 - Garry Tallent
American musician and record producer Garry Tallent who is the bass player with the  Bruce Springsteen  E Street Band. He started playing with Springsteen in 1971 and as of 2013, and not counting Springsteen himself, Tallent is the only original member of the E Street Band remaining in the band.

1949 - Byron Allred
Byron Allred, keyboards, Steve Miller Band, (1974 US No.1 & 1990 UK No.1 single 'The Joker')

1951 - K. K. Downing
K. K. Downing, English guitarist and songwriter, and one of the founding members of the British heavy metal band Judas Priest. Downing officially left Judas Priest in 2011.

1953 - Peter Dodd
Peter Dodd, guitar, The Thompson Twins, (1984 UK No.2 single 'You Take Me Up', 1984 US No.3 single, 'Hold Me Now').

1958 - Hazell Dean
Hazell Dean, UK singer, (1988 UK No.4 single 'Who's Leaving Who').

1958 - Simon Le Bon
Simon Le Bon, vocals,  Duran Duran  who scored the 1983 UK No.1 single 'Is There Something I Should Know', plus 25 other UK Top 40 singles, and the 1984 US No.1 single 'The Reflex'. Le Bon is also a member of its offshoot Arcadia, who had the 1985 UK No.7 single 'Election Day'. Le Bon went to Pinner County Grammar School, the same school that  Elton John  attended some years earlier.

1967 - Scott Weiland
Scott Weiland, vocals, Stone Temple Pilots, (1993 UK No.23 single 'Plush'). Velvet  Revolver,  (2004 US No.1 & UK No.11 album 'Contraband'). Weiland has also established himself as a solo artist, releasing three studio albums, a cover album, and collaborations with several other musicians since 1998. Weiland died on December 3, 2015 after being found in cardiac arrest on his tour bus in Bloomington, Minnesota, just before he was scheduled to go on stage with his band The Wildabouts. He was 48 years old.

1984 - Kelly Osbourne
Kelly Osbourne (2002 UK No.3 single 'Papa Don't Preach', 2003 UK No.1 with  Ozzy Osbourne, 'Changes'.

That concludes "What happened on this day in history of music." Until tomorrow take care and stay safe. 
MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

Good morning Pandora Community. This is what happened on this day in history of music:

Post 1 of 2.

1956 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley made his second appearance on US TV’s The Ed Sullivan Show, where the host presents him with a gold record for ‘Love Me Tender’.

1957 - Elvis Presley
After a show at the Pan Pacific Auditorium in Los Angeles, local police told Elvis Presley that he was not allowed to wiggle his hips onstage, the local press also ran headlines saying Elvis would have to clean up his act. The next night, the Los Angeles Vice Squad filmed his entire concert, to study his performance.

1958 - Buddy Holly
Buddy Holly appeared on **ahem** Clark's American Bandstand, where he lip-synched ‘It's So Easy’ and ‘Heartbeat’. It would be Holly's last major TV appearance.

1961 - Brian Epstein
Raymond Jones went into Liverpool's NEMS Record store trying to buy The Beatles records that had been released in Germany. Shop manager Brian Epstein promised to investigate further.

1962 - The Beatles
The Beatles played at the Empire in Liverpool, their first gig at Liverpool's top theatre. Eight acts were on the bill including Little Richard, Craig Douglas, Jet Harris and Kenny Lynch & Sounds Incorporated.

1964 - Smokey Robinson
The first of two nights billed as the 'Tami Show' took place at the Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica with; Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes and The Rolling Stones.

1967 - Diana Ross
'Diana Ross and The Supremes Greatest Hits' started a five-week run at No.1 on the US album chart. Although original member Florence Ballard is pictured on the cover and sings on all the tracks, by the time the LP was released, she had been fired from the group and replaced by Cindy Birdsong.

1972 - Stevie Wonder
Stevie Wonder released his 15th studio album Talking Book. The album's first track, 'You Are the Sunshine of My Life', hit No.1 on the Billboard charts, and earned Wonder his first Grammy Award. The album featured a guest appearance of Jeff Beck on the track 'Superstition'.

1972 - The Who
The United States Council for World Affairs announced it was adopting The Who song 'Join Together' as it's official theme tune.

1973 - David Cassidy
David Cassidy was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Daydreamer / The Puppy Song', the singers second No.1. 'The Puppy Song' was Cassidy's version of the Harry Nilsson song.

1974 - Ken Boothe
Jamaican reggae artist Ken Boothe was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of a song by David Gates (from Bread), 'Everything I Own.' Boy George also took the song to No.1 in 1987.

1978 - Queen
Queen played the first night on their 79-date ‘Jazz’ tour at the Dallas Convention Center, Dallas, Texas. Many other acts have appeared here, including, The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Santana and Led Zeppelin.

1978 - Kiss
The live-action movie KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park, was shown on NBC-TV in the U.S. The four rock stars had to deal with a mad scientist who went crazy in an amusement park. All four members of Kiss had just released their individual solo albums.

1978 - Nick Gilder
Nick Gilder went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hot Child In The City', not a hit in the UK.

1989 - Janet Jackson
Janet Jackson started a four week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814'. Only one of three albums to produce seven Top-ten US singles, (the other two being Thriller by Michael Jackson and Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA).

1995 - Coolio
Coolio featuring L.V. scored his first UK No.1 single with 'Gangsta's Paradise'. The song sampled the chorus of the 1976 Stevie Wonder song 'Pastime Paradise' and featured in the 1995 movie Dangerous Minds (starring Michelle Pfeiffer).

1997 - Bill Berry
R.E.M. drummer Bill Berry announced that he was leaving the group after 17 years, becoming a farmer.

2001 - Afroman
Afroman (Joseph Foreman), started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Because I Got High.' The song about how cannabis use was degrading his quality of life, rose from obscurity to popularity after it was circulated around the Internet.

2004 - Courtney Love
Courtney Love was ordered to stand trial on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon after Kristin King told a Los Angeles court Ms. Love threw a bottle and a lit candle at her after turning up at the home of a former boyfriend in the early hours. Ms. King told the court Ms. Love was "vicious" and "erratic" when she allegedly attacked her while she slept on a sofa on 25 April. She said Ms. Love then sat on her, pulled her hair and pinched her left breast in the "worst pinch I ever had", before managing to flee.

2005 - So Solid Crew
A former producer of the rap group So Solid Crew was jailed for at least 30 years for murdering a love rival. Earlier this month a jury found Carl Morgan, 24, of Battersea, south London, guilty of shooting Colin Scarlett in Tooting, south London, last year. They failed to reach a verdict on the same charge faced by rapper Megaman, real name Dwayne Vincent, who would face a retrial next March. The judge said the life sentence showed gun crime would not be tolerated. Morgan appeared in the band's video for the track 21 Seconds.

This concludes post 1 of 2.     

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos