cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q: What's the first album / artist that you remember truly connecting with?

Pandora

Pandora_0-1690556470878.png

Let's take a trip down musical memory lane. We look forward to hearing about how an album or artist shaped your taste in music! 🎶

Tags (1)
17 Replies

ChaplainHowardS
Opening Act

I'm an 85 year old jazz fan, and smile every time I think that the music school Dave Brubeck didn't think he had a future.  They truly misunderstood his creativity and genius.  He found a talented partner to make very satisfying jazz for decades!  He isa remarkable talent, whom I've enjoyed since 1957, when I first heard him live at the Univ. of Florida, with Paul Desmond, and Joe Morello.  I still enjoy listening to him here on Pandora.

Kans4629
Underground

I’m probably outing myself as an old fart, but as a young child my father gave me Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland and Offsprings Smash… cassettes lol. Those were soon followed by Soundgarden, Matchbox 20, Alice In Chains, then a few years later when cds were the big thing, Incubus Make Yourself, Staind Break the Cycle, Sublime, Third Eye Blind, etc. I don’t still listen to all those groups, but it definitely influenced my musical tastes in ways I likely don’t fully understand.

duster7
Opening Act

At 87 I cannot remember my 1st album. I do know my first music collection was 

45 rpms - LP's - I don't think they had  yet come on the market   and I had

"The 4 Freshman" as an early album.  There was also a "Jazz Club" start up and I joined

and I think I only got one album and then they folded.  Over the years my album collection

become 280 albums.  Then with computer tech I was able to put all my music on CDs.

Now my music collections is around 80.  When Sirious (mis-spelled sorry) came into the 

FM radio care music I was an earl member - but later bailed.  I don't know when they

formed Pandora but I certainly enjoy the music platform that is now available. 

shellycoolsingr
Underground
Welcome

TexasHawg
Local Performer

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - David Bowie.  That was in 8th-9th grade.  I’ve enjoyed listening to albums from his earlier years, and following him through his artistic changes thought the years.  He lives on through is music.  Most favorite album of his was David Bowie “Live”.

MrJLandabay68
Local Performer

RUN~D.M.C. 

Nitrohead50
Diamond in the Rough

Pink Floyd dark side of the moon 

Tr65
Underground

Dr Hooks greatest hits and album of mixed music 

Tr65
Underground

Nice story I've done the same thing with  music and I'm now 58yrs old

badlydrawngirl
Local Performer

The first pop song I became aware of and liking was Billy Joel’s It’s Still Rock And Roll To Me.  I was 6 years old. 

ShannMarie4me
Local Performer

Stevie nicks & Fleetwood Mac 

Shannon Anderson

Tr65
Underground
The eagles music always inspired me and I could listen to them all
day over and over again

JGroove
Local Performer

I had an older sister, so I was always exposed to good music when I was young, but the first album I bought for myself where the music felt like I was the one who discovered it was Master of Puppets by Metallica. I still have the cassette. That led to Ride the Lightning and I was fully into the band by the time the black album dropped.

it wasn't until Green Day's Dookie dropped that I finally got out of my only metal phase.

braden_reeves2
Opening Act

Alice In Chains, Without them, I wouldn't be the man I am today. My dad introduced them to me in early 2009, but it wasn't until late 2012 'till I started listening to them. Rotten apple is what got me hooked. Alice In Chains is godly and all of their songs are really good. Without Alice In Chains, the ROCK WORLD wouldn't even be the same. I also have to talk about SlipKnot. The Devil In I is what got me hooked. I love SlipKnot and I always will. KoЯn is also a favorite. A Different world is what got me hooked. I was surprised when I found out that his brother also had a rock band. KoЯn will always be a favorite, And I will always listen to him. Without KoЯn, I wouldn't be the same either.

Those are all the songs that changed me for life!

Chan
Underground

@Alyssa, @Pandora 

This is a good question, and one I don't think I can give a direct answer to.  I grew up in the '70's.  AM radio had a deluge of fresh music coming out from a lot of artists, who to this day, have a lot of staying power.  My earliest memories of just sitting and listening to music came in the summers at my grandparent's cabin, my family's time capsule of my mom's family from her childhood, and still growing with the stories of my household, cousins, all our longest friends, and anyone and everyone who was too drunk to drive back to wherever after closing down a bar and spending a few hours of afterparty hosted by my grandparents.

We couldn't get much for radio at that time in the far northern reaches of Wisconsin.  What that home had for us all summer before having to head back to school life was a wide education from industrial looking, victrola-spun vinyl from the early 1900's into the 40's, and then a treasure trove of emerging rock, pop, soul, and R&B selected at the record shops by Mom and her brother & sister.

These were from the 40's, 50's, and '60s.  They included music by The Zombies, Sam the Sham & the Pharos, The Coasters, Big Mamma Thornton, Richie Valli, Elvis Presley, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, The Everly Brothers, Little Richard, James Brown, The Beach Boys, Bobby Darin, Sam Cooke, Chubby Checker, Bobby Vee, Aretha Franklin, Etta James, Bill Haley and the Comets, Johny Rivers, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Herman's Hermits, Dion, The Temptations, The Four Seasons, Buddy Hollie, and so many more.

We took great care of the stacks and disc envelopes of 45's.  Most of our days were spent outdoors, but countless hours a week I'd spend time just listening to all this songs while alone or with friends or siblings.  We knew many of the songs by heart.  Part of the excitement of the 12-hour drive north to the cabin was that I would be reunited with the sounds that raised my family.

I also enjoyed my grandmother's music she'd put on from the 20's & '30's while doing house cleaning.  She had a ton of big band music for all those parties they used to throw.  There was still one more musical joy up there, when I could play DJ for hours for anyone visiting **ahem** Pietsch.  His log cabin had a bear rug, and this beautifully sounding victrola and some of the funnest music from the early 1900's.

The first 2 records I bought with my own money were an Elvis Presley album and an Everly Brothers album, but which album or artist do I first remember connecting with???  All of them, and their ever folding, moulding, down-home, rocking & rolling, as well as rolling with their music parents of an even earlier generation.  The two saddest stints of my life were the two different times I was robbed of my massive music collection, especially that first time which included all those old 45's.  I lost a part of me that day, but I still visit in my mind all the ancient caves where I dove through waves of music for hours.

Chan McQueen

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your personal memories with us, @Chan. Sounds like you were exposed to some musical greats by your family members. I'm sorry to hear about your collection, I can only imagine how heartbreaking that was. Did you check out @MichellePandora's recent blog post? Your post on this thread reminded me of her article here: Lowrider Oldies: Timeless Love Songs From Yesteryear

Hope to see you around the community space more often. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.22.24) 

MotherNature
Underground

The first record I ever bought was Dedication, by the Bay City Rollers. But it was hearing the 1981 album, Computer World by Kraftwerk that really shot me along the trajectory that formed my musical passions. Introducing me to Gary Numan, the B-52s, Adam and the Ants..

computerWorld.jpg