cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R.I.P. Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Pandora

ruth-bader-ginsburg-supreme-court-justice-portrait.jpg

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the demure firebrand who in her 80s became a legal, cultural and feminist icon, died Friday. The Supreme Court announced her death, saying the cause was complications from metastatic cancer of the pancreas.

The court, in a statement, said Ginsburg died at her home in Washington, D.C., surrounded by family. She was 87.

"Our nation has lost a justice of historic stature," Chief Justice John Roberts said. "We at the Supreme Court have lost a cherished colleague. Today we mourn but with confidence, that future generations will remember Ruth Bader Ginsburg as we knew her, a tireless and resolute champion of justice."

Totenberg, Nina. (2020, Sept 18). Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Champion Of Gender Equality, Dies At 87'. Retrieved from https://www.npr.org/2020/09/18/100306972/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-champion-of-gender-equality-die... 

Tags (1)
4 Replies

ErickPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pandora Stories: Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Opera — A Love Supreme

In this special edition of Pandora Stories, Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg sits down for a conversation with Julie James, Program Director of Met Opera Radio on SiriusXM, to discuss her lifelong love and passion for opera. The Justice — whose dedication to social justice has transcended the courtroom to the silver screen and inspired millions — reflects on stand-out memories of great performances, some of her favorite pieces and why this particular genre has resonated so deeply with her. "I tend to be consumed by my work ... I’m thinking about it when I go to sleep," she says. "But when I go to the opera, I leave all the briefs on the shelf and just enjoy the great performances."

Erick | Sr. Manager of Social & Communities

Let's exchange playlists and podcasts in the Music + Podcasts

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Such an inspiring human. An icon. ❤️

giphy.gif

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

Pandora nice tribute, well done. I also agree, it is such huge loss for this Nation. I hope the next U.S Supreme Court Justice will do this Nation a great service as she did. Thanks again Pandora. Take care and stay safe.  

Moderator edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska

runflower
Local Performer

Justice Ginsberg advocated for gender equality. Nice of you to celebrate her contributions. Maybe Pandora could go a little further than recognizing others' contributions. Pandora, with its reach and influence has potential to change the world, even if just a little. But maybe a lot.

I'll share my experience from today to explain what I mean.  I noticed something while listening to Pandora while I worked today. 

1. ME: Hey Google. Play Bonnie Raitt. 
  2. GOOGLE: Playing a station called Bonnie Raitt on Pandora.

It's pretty good. Lots of mellow singer-songwriter tunes to soothe and nurture creative productivity. Along with Bonnie, some Patty Griffin, Norah Jones, Amos Lee, Chris Stapleton, Stevie Nicks, John Prine. What you would expect.  

Later in the day I wanted to mix it up a bit. 

1. ME: He Google. Play Bob Scneider. 
  2. GOOGLE: Playing a station called Bob Schneider on Pandora.

It was pretty good too. More mellow singer-songwriter tunes. Along with Bob, some Counting Crows, Paolo Nutini, Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews, Colin Hay, and some more Amos Lee and Chris Stapleton. 

It 's been playing for hours and not one female artist so far on Bob Schneider's station. Not one female singer  . . . unless you count back up singers who aren't usually credited as the songwriter. I did not expect that and find it disappointing. Maybe you need more female programmers writing your code as it seems like bias (likely inadvertently) is built into your algorithm. I would expect that the artists collect some form of credit for each stream on Pandora, although I confess I do not know the details of your business model. But far more males were streamed through my Google mini than females. I suspect this is a largely a problem of a shortage of female programmers and less of a shortage of female songwriters. I really can't say for sure, but gender equality has a long way to go and it's stunning that AI in the 21st century is so obviously biased toward showcasing male musicians. 

Thank you for listening. Best of luck driving diversity in your team. So much is possible if it is made to be intentional.