cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tanner's Tips: #4 Thumbs ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿป

TannerPandora

TannerPandora_0-1626200245568.png

Welcome to Tanner's Tips!

This post is dedicated to all the great features that Pandora has to offer. Each week I'll be talking about and breaking down a Pandora feature in detail. Some of you may be using these features every day and others maybe not so much. My goal is to introduce something new and fun to your Pandora experience. Thanks for listening! ๐ŸŽง

If you have a support question, please visit our Support Forum and choose the board that best suits your question. If you'd like to submit a feature request , please visit our Feature Request board

THUMBS!

• Device: All devices 
  • SubscriptionFree (Ad-supported), Plus, Premium (individual), Premium Family

This weekโ€™s tip is all about Thumbs! Pandora Radio is a music discovery app, designed to introduce you to new music through the artists and songs that you already know. Type in your favorite artist or song and music that is similar to your selection will play on your stations. Then, use Thumbs to craft the sound you are trying to achieve and vary the playback from station to station.

For example, you might want to give a song you like a Thumb Down if you think it will bring in a certain type of music you'd prefer to not have on that station. Don't be afraid to thumb songs โ€“ you can always edit your stations later if you don't like the direction your station is going or if you'd like to mix things up.

Giving a song a Thumbs Up tells Pandora to bring in similar artists and songs to your station.

Giving a song a Thumbs Down tells us not to play this track on this particular station. 

Pandora stations adapt with every song to try to find the right music for your stations. Without Thumb info, Pandora has to guess what songs you like or don't like.

It's also important to try and balance your thumbs on your stations. For example, if you thumb down too many songs, and not enough thumbs up, you might start to hear tracks that don't quite fit. Thumbed down tracks narrow down the song pool while, Thumbed up tracks act like seeds that inspire similar music to play.

Remember: Thumbs are station specific: rating a song with a Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down on one station will not affect any of your other stations.

DO THUMBS ACT DIFFERENT IN PANDORA MODES? 

If youโ€™ve read Tannerโ€™s Tip #1: Pandora Modes, youโ€™ll know the answer to this. If you havenโ€™t, you should ๐Ÿ˜‰, but in the meantime, here is the condensed version:

Thumbs Down will continue to function as they always have, regardless of what Pandora Mode you use.

Thumbs Up will function the same in "My Station" mode. However:

• If you give a Thumbs Up in "Crowd Faves" mode, you'll hear more popular music on your station in the future.
  • If you give a Thumbs Up in "Discovery" mode, your station will play tracks that are musically different from the original station seed.
  • If you give a Thumbs Up in "Deep Cuts" your station will play more B-Sides or lesser-known tracks.
  • If you give a Thumbs Up in "Newly Released" mode, you will hear more new music on your station moving forward.

Regardless of what mode you are in, each Thumbs Up or Down will affect the way "My Station" plays the next time you listen.

HOW DO I EDIT THUMBS ON MY STATIONS? 

You may remember from last week's tip "Creating, Editing, Adding Variety & More!", we talked about the backstage and editing your stations on Web. Here's a run down for mobile and web. 

How to edit Thumbs on mobile:

If this happened during your current listening session, all you need to do is un-Thumb the track. From your Now Playing screen, swipe the album art from left to right until you see the track you're looking for, and tap the highlighted Thumb icon.

If this happened in a previous session, you'll need to visit the station details page to make that change.

Here's how to edit Thumbs in that station settings:

1. First, visit My Collection to view your stations list.
  2. Tap on the name of the station you'd like to edit. 
    • If you're a Pandora Premium subscriber, this will take you directly to the station's "backstage page." 
    • If you're a free listener or Pandora Plus subscriber, this will start your station, so tap either the thumb icon or the small "i" (in the upper right corner of your screen) to continue to the station's backstage page.
  3. From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play button) to edit your station.
  4. Scroll down to either your Thumbed Up Songs or your Thumbed Down Songs.
  5. Tap the 'X' beside whichever Thumbs you'd like to remove.

How to edit Thumbs on a computer:

If you gave the song a Thumb during your current listening session:

1. Click on Now Playing in the upper left.
  2. Hover your cursor over the album art and click View Session History.
  3. Click the highlighted Thumb icon under the track you'd like to edit.

If you gave the song a Thumb in a previous listening session:

1. Click on My Collection, filter your collection by Stations, and select the name of the station you'd like to edit.
  2. Then select the ellipses to the right of the play icon and tap Edit Station on the menu that is revealed.
  3. Scroll down to the Thumb History of the station's page. By default, this will show your Thumbed-Up tracks first. If you'd like to see your Thumbs Down, click on the Thumbs Down icon.
  4. To delete a Thumbed track, simply roll your cursor over the name of the track to reveal a hidden menu (or click the ellipsis if you are a Pandora Premium subscriber). As before, select Delete to remove that Thumb from your station.

WHAT HAPPENS IF I THUMB A PODCAST?

Giving a podcast episode a Thumbs Up tells Pandora what kind of Podcasts you enjoy, and helps us recommend other episodes.

Giving a podcast episode a Thumbs Down tells us you're not enjoying the episode. However, unlike Thumbs on songs, Thumbed-Down podcasts will continue playing unless you choose something else.

It's not yet possible to see a list of all your thumbed podcasts, but you can edit the Thumbs you've applied to podcasts by searching for the podcast episode, starting it, and applying the correct Thumb.

CAN I THUMB A PLAYLIST?

If you're listening on a mobile device, you can provide feedback in the form of Thumbs on your personalized playlists, (e.g., The Drop, Your Chill Soundtrack, etc.)

You can Thumb Up and Thumb Down from the Now Playing screen on your mobile device or from the playlist's backstage page, just swipe left on the track you'd like to Thumb to reveal the Thumb Up and Down icons.

The songs you Thumb Up will automatically be added to your My Thumbs Up playlist.

Remember: Thumbs are not available on playlists created by other users or Pandora Curators.

How do I edit Thumbs on my playlists?

1. From My Collection, filter your collection by Playlists.
  2. Tap on the name of the playlist you'd like to edit, this will take you directly to the station's backstage page.
  3. Swipe left on the track and tap on the highlighted Thumb icon you'd like to remove.
Tanner | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

2 Replies

MOHLovesAlaska
Gold Certified

@TannerPandora thank you for another great weekly tip. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska
Tags (1)
0 Kudos

AdamPandora

Keep 'em coming, @TannerPandora!

Thank you for the info. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap