cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tanner's Tips: #7 Offline Mode

TannerPandora

TannerPandora_0-1628778165006.png

Welcome to Tanner's Tips!

This post is dedicated to all the great features that Pandora has to offer. Each week I'll be talking about and breaking down a Pandora feature in detail. Some of you may be using these features every day and others maybe not so much. My goal is to introduce something new and fun to your Pandora experience. Thanks for listening! 🎧

If you have a support question, please visit our Support Forum and choose the board that best suits your question. If you'd like to submit a feature request, please visit our Feature Request board

OFFLINE MODE

• Device: Android and iOS
  • SubscriptionPlus, Premium (individual), Premium Family

Not connected to WiFi? Want do save on cellular data? Offline Mode is for you! 🎧 Offline Mode is a feature we offer to our subscribers that enables you to listen without a Wi-Fi or cell network signal. You can utilize offline mode automatically or manually, it's a great way to stay connected to your music wherever you are. 

Offline Mode is available to Pandora Plus, Pandora Premium (individual), or Premium Family subscribers, on iOS or Android mobile devices. 

Some things you might not have known about offline mode...

• Keeping thumbing! They count! You can give a thumbs up, thumbs down, skip, or replay while in Offline Mode. Just as you would with any other station! Pandora will periodically review this feedback to further tune your stations.
  • We'll update your offline stations! Each week, we'll revisit the stations we’ve stored for offline listening, we'll either update or  swap in stations that are eligible to be cached offline. 
  • We're thinking about the space on your phone! Pandora will never use the last 500 MB of storage on your phone. When Pandora detects that there is not enough storage on your device for all of your offline stations, we will download as many stations as we possibly can. Additionally, we will serve you a notification to alert you that you're approaching the 500 MB limit.  

How does offline listening differ depending on my subscription level? 

Offline Mode is only available with Pandora Plus, Pandora Premium (individual), or Premium Family subscribers. 

Pandora Plus:

Plus subscribers cannot choose which stations they'd like available for offline listening. Instead, Pandora will download up to three of your most-listened to stations as well as your Thumbprint Radio. By default, these stations will be downloaded while your device is connected to Wi-Fi.

Curious about your most listened to stations? You can check it out on www.pandora.com! Log into your account > My Collection > Stations > filter by Most Listened 

I wasn't too surprised by my mine. Check out yours and post in our Playlist Swap board: Most Listened to Stations

Premium Individual & Premium Family

In addition to receiving your top 3 stations along with Thumbprint Radio, Premium listeners have the ability to download as many songs, albums, stations, or playlists from Pandora's library to listen to offline as your device can old! 

Now you might be asking yourself, "How do I download songs, albums, stations or playlists?"

It's easy! check out the steps below.

How to download content for Offline Mode as a Premium user?

Open Pandora, tap on My Collection, from here you can filter by Songs, Albums, Stations or Playlists - I find it easier to decide what I want to download by filtering each. To download, click the download button (icon with arrow pointing downward). Keep in mind: This button will only appear for eligible tracks.

Download ButtonDownload Button

Downloaded StationsDownloaded Stations

If you change your mind at any point during the downloading process, simply tap the download button again, and we'll halt progress.

If you lose connection while downloading, we'll save your spot with your partially downloaded playlists, albums and stations. The next time you gain a signal, we'll attempt to complete the download process for you.

Automatic Offline Mode

If you lose your Wi-Fi and cell network connection, we'll automatically switch you to Offline Mode. When this happens, Pandora will alert you with a notification to let you know that we are switching you to offline listening and choose a station for you to listen to.

Enable or disable Offline Mode

If you'd like to enable or disable Offline Mode, go to your Profile and tap the Settings gear in the top right corner. Find the Offline Mode switch at the bottom of the menu to turn Offline Mode on or off.

You also have the option to switch back to online mode from the Now Playing screen (as long as a Wi-Fi or cellular connection is available).

To do that:

1. Click on the ribbon above the album art that says Offline Mode.
  2. Follow the prompt that asks you to confirm that you would like to Go Online.
  3. Toggle the Offline Mode feature OFF.

offline mode.jpeg

Sort or view your offline content (Premium)

By default, songs, albums, stations, and playlists in Offline Mode are sorted by most recently downloaded. Artists, however, are sorted from A-Z.

Download settings

By default, we will only download content for you over Wi-Fi. However, you can opt-in to also download using your cellular connection. You can change this feature in the Settings section of our app.

To view only downloads, tap the row just under the Recently Played carousel, and a menu will drop down that will allow you to filter your collection. Toggle the switch to Show Only Downloads to view only content that is stored on your device.

Show downloads only.PNG

Remove all downloads

You can remove your downloaded content by signing out of Pandora on your device, or from the My Collection screen. If you sign out, content may re-download once you sign back in again. 

To remove your downloads from the My Collection screen:

1. Tap the menu icon, then Settings.
  2. Select Audio Quality and Downloads.
  3. Tap Reset downloads at the bottom.
  4. Finally, confirm that you would like all the offline content that’s been downloaded to your device removed.

Reset downloads.PNG

How much storage do I need to download content?

Offline content can take up anywhere from 300 MB-700 MB of device space depending on the types of stations or albums you listen to. For example, classical music may take up more space than a pop station.

What happens to my downloads if my subscriptions ends?

Downloaded content will be available for listening within the Pandora app while your subscription is active. However, if your subscription is interrupted, you'll lose access to your offline content.

It's not possible to transfer your Pandora music collection to an external music library like Apple Music. If you're outside of our app, or if you're accessing Pandora from our website or another type of device, you won't be able to view those downloads.

Tanner | Community Moderator

Let's share in Music + Podcasts

2 Replies

AlyssaPandora

Love Offline Mode! 📲

Thanks for sharing, @TannerPandora. 👍

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

MOHLovesAlaska
Platinum Certified

@TannerPandora I agree with @AlyssaPandora, offline mode is one of my favorite features especially when I'm working. Listening to music while working not only makes the day go by a little quicker but also takes your mind off some of your everyday headaches. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska