cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

This Day In Music History for this Christmas Eve Day.

Post 1 of 2:

1965 - The Beatles
The Beatles had the No.1 album in the US for the third Christmas in a row. Rubber Soul was at the top of the LP chart, following Beatles For Sale in 1964 and With The Beatles in 1963. The Fab Four would repeat this feat again in 1968 with The Beatles (The White Album) and again in 1969, with Abbey Road.

1967 - Bee Gees
The Bee Gees performed their Christmas special 'live' from Liverpool Cathedral, England which was broadcast on UK TV.

1972 - David Bowie
On the second UK leg of his 182 date Ziggy Stardust Tour, David Bowie played the second of two nights at the Rainbow Theatre, London. This tour had the classic Spiders From Mars line up of Mick Ronson on guitar, vocals, Trevor Bolder, bass and Mick "Woody" Woodmansey on drums.

1973 - Doobie Brothers
Tom Johnson of the Doobie Brothers was arrested in Visalia, California and charged with possession of marijuana. His court date is set for January 10th, the same day the band's new LP is to be released. The album is ironically titled "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits".

1976 - Eagles
The Eagles sixth album, Hotel California spent the first of eight non-consecutive weeks at the top of the Billboard chart. The band's first LP with Joe Walsh and last with bassist Randy Meisner which has now sold over 34 million copies worldwide.

1977 - Bee Gees
The Bee Gees started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'How Deep Is Your Love', the group's 4th US No.1. It stayed in the top 10 for 17 weeks giving it the longest chart run in history, a No.3 in the UK.

1977 - Sex Pistols
The Sex Pistols played their last ever UK gig, (until 1996), before splitting, at Ivanhoe's in Huddersfield. It was a charity performance before an audience of mainly children.

1988 - Poison
American glam metal band Poison started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn.'

1988 - Nirvana
Nirvana started recording their first album 'Bleach' using a $600 loan from an old school friend.

1994 - Pearl Jam
Pearl Jam went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Vitalogy'. Their third studio album was first released on vinyl record, followed by a release in other formats two weeks later.

1999 - Zeke Carey
Zeke Carey of The Flamingos died. He had the 1959 US No.11 single 'I Only Have Eyes For You', (which was also a 1975 UK No.1 hit for Art Garfunkel. ).

2000 - Nick Massi
Four Seasons bassist Nick Massi died of cancer. They scored the 1976 UK & US No.1 single 'December 1963, Oh What A Night', as well as hits with ‘Sherry,’ and ‘Rag Doll.’

2003 - Jack White
Jack White of The White Stripes turned himself in to Detroit police to face aggravated assault charges stemming from a bar room altercation in which he allegedly attacked Jason Stollsteimer of The Von Bondies. White was also fingerprinted and formally booked on the charges before he was released on bail.

2005 - Foxy Brown
Rapper Foxy Brown was handcuffed and threatened with jail after she stuck her tongue out at a New York judge who asked her to stop chewing gum. Judge Melissa Jackson told the singer, she had showed disrespect to the court. Brown was in court on charges of assaulting two nail salon workers during a row over payment.

2012 - Ray Collins
American musician Ray Collins died aged 76. Collins was the lead vocalist on early Mothers of Invention albums, including Freak Out!, Absolutely Free, and Cruising with Ruben & the Jets and continued to contribute to other Frank Zappa projects through the mid-1970s.

2015 - Gladys Knight And The Pips
William Guest of Gladys Knight And The Pips died of heart failure at the age of 74. His background vocals can be heard on all of the group's hits, including 'Midnight Train To Georgia', 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' and the Grammy winning 'Neither One Of Us (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye)'.

2016 - Rick Parfitt
Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt died in hospital in Marbella, Spain aged 68. He died from a severe infection after going to hospital, following complications to a shoulder injury. His partnership with Francis Rossi became the core of Status Quo, one of Britain's most enduring bands. Status Quo had over 60 chart hits in the UK, more than any other rock band, including "Pictures of Matchstick Men" in 1967, "Whatever You Want" in 1979 and "In the Army Now" in 2010. Twenty-two of these reached the Top 10 in the UK Singles Chart. In July 1985 the band opened Live Aid at Wembley Stadium with "Rockin' All Over the World".

2019 - Allee Willis
American songwriter Allee Willis died age 72. Willis co-wrote hit songs including 'September' and 'Boogie Wonderland' by Earth, Wind & Fire and 'I’ll Be There for You' by the Rembrandts, the theme from the TV sitcom Friends. Her compositions sold over 60 million records and she was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2018.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Born On This Day In The Music World.

Post 2 of 2:

1924 - Lee Dorsey
Lee Dorsey, US singer, (1966 US & UK No.8 single 'Working In The Coalmine').

1945 - Lemmy
Lemmy, English musician, singer, and songwriter who founded and fronted the rock band Motorhead. Lemmy played in several rock groups in the 1960s, including the Rockin' Vickers and worked as a roadie for Jimi Hendrix and the Nice, before joining the space rock band Hawkwind in 1971, singing lead on their hit 'Silver Machine'. He died on 28 December 2015 following a short battle with an extremely aggressive cancer.

1946 - Jan Akkerman
Jan Akkerman, guitarist with Dutch rock band Focus who had the 1973 UK No.4 single 'Sylvia', and the 1973 US No. 9 single 'Hocus Pocus'.

1951 - Tom
Tom "T-Bone" Wolk, who played bass for nearly 30 years with Hall and Oates. He had also recorded with Carly Simon, Jellyfish, Squeeze, Elvis Costello, Shawn Colvin and Billy Joel over the course of his career. He died on 28 February 2010 of a heart attack at the age of 58.

1962 - Darren Wharton
Darren Wharton, British keyboardist, singer and songwriter. Worked with Thin Lizzy and fronted his own band, Dare.

1963 - Neil Turbin
Neil Turbin, American thrash metal vocalist known for being the first full-time vocalist for American band Anthrax and the heavy metal band DeathRiders.

1965 - Millard Powers
Millard Powers, American musician, songwriter, record producer, and Grammy-nominated recording engineer. Since 2005 he has played bass guitar in the Counting Crows.

1968 - Doyle Bramhall II
Doyle Bramhall II, guitarist, songwriter, Smokestack, Eric Clapton Band, Roger Waters.

1975 - Joe Washbourn
Joe Washbourn, vocals, from British alternative rock band, Toploader who had the 2000 UK No.7 single with of 'Dancing In The Moonlight' a cover of the French-American rock group King Harvest.

1991 - Louis Tomlinson
Louis Tomlinson from English-Irish pop boy band One Direction who formed after finishing third in the seventh series of The X Factor in 2010. Scored the 2011 UK No.1 single 'What Makes You Beautiful' and the 2013 No.1 'One Way or Another (Teenage Kicks)'.

Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska

This day in music history for this Saturday.

Post 1 of 2:

1963 - Stevie Wonder
Stevie Wonder arrived in the UK for appearances on the TV shows 'Ready Steady Go!' and 'Thank Your Lucky Stars.'

1963 - The Beatles
Capitol Records, the EMI-affiliated company which rejected the US rights to every Beatles record that they were offered until then, finally released 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' backed with 'I Saw Her Standing There'. The song was currently topping the UK chart with 'This Boy' on the flip side. Within five weeks, the record would rise to number one in the US, where it would stay for seven weeks. The song was recorded the previous October and the hit version was take number 17.

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Feel Fine'. It was the group's 6th No.1 of the year in which they had 30 entries on the chart, giving them a total of 18 weeks at the top of the charts.

1964 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones placed an advertisement in the music paper New Musical Express, wishing starving hairdressers and their families a Happy Christmas.

1965 - Paul McCartney
While spending Christmas at his father's home in Cheshire, Paul McCartney crashed from the moped he was riding and suffered a five-inch cut to his mouth.

1966 - John Lennon
John Lennon appeared as a men's room attendant in Peter Cook's and Dudley Moore's BBC TV UK show 'Not only... But also'.

1966 - Jimi Hendrix
The Jimi Hendrix Experience played an afternoon show at The Uppercut Club, London, (where he was billed as “The American Top soul Singer - Jimi Hendrix”). Hendrix also wrote the lyrics to Purple Haze in the dressing room on the same day.

1967 - The Beatles
BBC Television broadcast The Beatles movie ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ in black and white. The next day, the British press and the viewing public pronounce the film an utter disaster. The negative reaction was so strong that a US television deal for broadcasting the movie was cancelled.

1968 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin started their first North American tour supporting Vanilla Fudge and Spirit at Denver Auditorium, Colorado, tickets for this Sunday night gig cost $5.

1970 - George Harrison
George Harrison started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'My Sweet Lord', making him the first Beatle to score a No.1 US hit. The song was originally intended for Billy Preston.

1976 - Sex Pistols
The Sex Pistols recorded 'God Save The Queen' at Wessex Studios London, England. The song was released during Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee in 1977. The record's lyrics, as well as the cover, were controversial at the time, and both the BBC and the Independent Broadcasting Authority refused to play the song. The song reached No.1 on the NME charts.

1979 - The Kampuchea Concerts
The first night of a series of concerts were held at The Hammersmith Odeon in London for the People of Kampuchea, featuring Queen, The Clash, The Pretenders, The Who, Elvis Costello, Wings, and many more artists. The events which were organized by Paul McCartney and Kurt Waldheim were aimed to raise money for the victims of war-torn Cambodia.

1979 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd’s The Wall was at No.1 on the US album chart. (The album spent a total of 15 weeks at No.1 during a 35-week stay on the chart). The Wall also spent a total of 5 weeks at No.1 on the UK chart.

1981 - AC/DC
AC/DC started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'For Those About To Rock We Salute You' the follow-up to their highly successful album 'Back In Black'. The name of the album was inspired by a book Angus Young read, entitled 'For Those About to Die, We Salute You', about Roman gladiators.

1998 - Spice Girls
The Spice Girls scored their 8th UK No.1 single with 'Goodbye', (the first single without Geri Halliwell). It gave the group the Christmas No.1 for the third year in a row equaling the record set by The Beatles from 1963, 64 and 65.

1999 - Curtis Mayfield
American soul, R&B, and funk singer, songwriter Curtis Mayfield died aged 57. He was a member of The Impressions, (1965 US No.7 single 'Lilies Of The Field') and solo, (1971 UK No.12 single 'Move On Up', 1972 US No.4 single 'Freddie's Dead, Theme From Superfly').

2006 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson filed a lawsuit against his former accountants, claiming they withdrew $2.5 million a year from his bank accounts but did not properly pay his bills. Jackson hired the Los Angeles-based firm in 2003 for book-keeping, opening bank accounts and filing personal, corporate and real estate taxes.

2007 - Amy Winehouse
Amy Winehouse's second album ‘Back to Black’ was named as the biggest-selling album of the year. Released at the end of 2006 the album had now sold more than 1.5m copies in the UK, achieving five platinum sales awards, Winehouse was also nominated for six Grammys including song of the year. Leona Lewis's ‘Spirit’ was the second best seller, Lewis sold 1.27m copies in just five weeks, becoming the fastest-selling debut in UK history and making the former X Factor winner the fastest female million-seller in the UK. Mika's ‘Life in Cartoon Motion’ were the third best selling album of 2007.

2012 - Fontella Bass
Fontella Bass, the US female singer, pianist, who had the 1965 US No.4 and UK No.11 single 'Rescue Me' died of complications following a heart attack aged 72.

2017 - Jim Burns
Jim Burns, the co-creator of MTV's iconic MTV Unplugged series, famous for hosting shows by artists as diverse as Eric Clapton, Nirvana and Jay-Z died at the age of 65. He was struck by a taxi while crossing Fifth Avenue in Manhattan three days earlier walking with his seeing-eye dog near his Upper East Side home.

2019 - Sleepy LaBeef
American singer, musician and actor Sleepy LaBeef died age 84. As a rockabilly artist he was noted for his extensive repertoire, and for his live performances, at one time undertaking some 300 performances a year and claimed to know 6,000 songs.

End of post 1 of 2.

MOHLovesAlaska

Born On This Day In The Music world.

Post 2 of 2:

1935 - Abdul Fakir
Abdul 'Duke' Fakir, The Four Tops, (1965 US No.1 single 'I Can't Help Myself', 1967 UK No.6 single 'Standing In The Shadows of Love').

1939 - Phil Spector
Phil Spector, producer, 'The Spector Wall Of Sound’. Spector was a member of Teddy Bears, who had the 1958 US No.1 single 'To Know Him Is To Love Him'. He went on to produce many classic songs including; Ben E King, 'Spanish Harlem', The Crystals, 'Da Doo Ron Ron', The Ronettes, 'Baby I Love You', The Righteous Brothers, 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling', Ike and Tina Turner, 'River Deep, Mountain High'. Also produced albums for The Ramones, John Lennon, George Harrison, The Beatles, Cher and Harry Nilsson. The 2003 shooting of actress Lana Clarkson in his Alhambra, California home led to his 2009 conviction of murder in the second degree. He is serving a prison sentence of 19 years to life.

1943 - Fleming Williams
Fleming Williams from American pop and soul trio The Hues Corporation, who scored the 1974, US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Rock The Boat' which sold over 2 million copies.

1953 - Henning Schmitz
Henning Schmitz from the German electronic music and pop band Kraftwerk who had the 1982 UK No.1 single 'Computer Love / The Model'.

1963 - Lars Ulrich
Lars Ulrich, drums, Metallica, (1991 UK No.5 single 'Enter Sandman', 1991 US & UK No.1 album 'Metallica').

1963 - Dana Baldinger
Dana Baldinger, bass, Popinjays, (1990 UK album 'Bang Up To Date With The Popinjays').

1966 - Jay Farrar
Jay Farrar, American songwriter and musician who formed Uncle Tupelo (with Jeff Tweedy later of Wilco), and Son Volt.

1971 - Jared Joseph Leto
Jared Joseph Leto, American musician with 30 Seconds to Mars. Their 2018 album America peaked at No.2 on the US chart and No.4 in the UK.

1979 - Daughtry
Chris Daughtry, American guitarist, singer. Daughtry was the fourth-place finalist on the fifth season of American Idol. His band's self-titled debut 2007 US No.1 album sold more than 1 million copies after just five weeks of release, becoming the fastest selling debut rock album of all time.

1990 - Andy Biersack
Andy Biersack, American singer and pianist, founder and lead vocalist for the American rock band Black Veil Brides.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Sunday.

Post 1 of 2:

1960 - The Beatles
The Beatles appeared at Litherland Town Hall Ballroom in Liverpool. Added to the bill at the last minute, The Beatles were not advertised to appear, so banners had been pasted onto advertising posters, saying "Direct From Hamburg, The Beatles!" Since The Beatles were playing in an area they'd only played in once before, most of the audience assumes they were a German group.

1963 - Lennon and McCartney
The music critics from the UK newspaper The Times, named John Lennon and Paul McCartney as The Outstanding Composers of 1963. Two days later, the Sunday Times' music critic Richard Buckle proclaims the same two songwriters "the greatest composers since Beethoven."

1967 - The Doors
The Doors appeared on the Jonathon Winters Show CBS TV show from Los Angeles, California.

1969 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II was at No.1 on the US album charts, (the band's first album to reach No.1 on charts in the UK and the US), it went on to sell over six million copies in the US alone. The album's cover designer David Juniper was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Recording Package.

1969 - Diana Ross
Diana Ross and The Supremes went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Someday We'll Be Together', the group's 12th US No.1. A No.13 hit in the UK.

1975 - Queen
Queen started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK chart with A Night At The Opera, the group's first No.1 album.

1975 - Rod Stewart
The Faces split became official. Rod Stewart had severed all connections with the group to work as a solo artist, Ronnie Wood was on permanent loan to the Stones, Ronnie Lane went on to form Slim Chance and drummer Kenny Jones joined The Who.

1975 - Staple Singers
The Staple Singers went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Let's Do It Again' the group's second US No.1.

1975 - Morrissey
Future Smiths singer Steve Morrissey had a letter published in this week's music magazine the NME, complaining about the lack of media coverage for the New York Dolls.

1978 - Chris Bell
American singer, songwriter and guitarist Chris Bell from Big Star was killed after his car crashed into a telephone pole, he was 27. Bell inspired the likes of Beck, R.E.M., Teenage Fanclub, Primal Scream, Wilco, The Posies, and The Replacements, all of which have covered his music or name-dropped Big Star in the press.

1980 - John Lennon
John and Yoko's Double Fantasy album started an eight-week run at No.1 on the US chart. 'Just Like Starting Over' started a five-week stay at No.1 on the singles chart.

1981 - Hoagy Carmichael
American composer, pianist, singer, actor, and bandleader Hoagy Carmichael died aged 82. Composer of 'Georgia On My Mind', (covered by many acts including Ray Charles), 'Star Dust' and 'Lazy River'.

1983 - Bob Kuban & The In-Men
Walter Scott lead singer of Bob Kuban & The In-Men, who scored a 1966 US hit with ‘The Cheater’, was seen alive for the last time. On April 10th, 1987, his badly decomposed, bound body was found floating face down in a cistern, he’d been shot in the back. Scott's second wife, Jo Ann Calceterra, pleaded guilty to hindering prosecution in his murder and received a five-year sentence. Her boyfriend (whom she married in 1986), James H. Williams Sr. was found guilty of two counts of capital murder in the deaths of Walter Scott as well as his previous wife, Sharon Williams. James Williams received two life terms.

1986 - Jackie Wilson
Jackie Wilson had the UK Christmas No.1 single with 'Reet Petite' two years after Wilson's death, following its use in a commercial for Levi's. Written in 1957 by Berry Gordy and Tyran Carlo, the success of the song helped Gordy fund the launch of Motown Records.

1989 - Chuck Berry
A former chef at the Chuck Berry owned restaurant Southern Air started court proceedings against Berry alleging that the singer had installed secret video cameras in the ladies toilets. A further 200 other women also took action claiming that the recordings were used for improper sexual fetishes.

1997 - Spice Girls
The Spice Girls went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Too Much'. The group set another new world record as their first six singles all made No.1.

1999 - Jennifer Lopez
Sean 'Puff Daddy' Combs and his girlfriend Jennifer Lopez were arrested after a gun was found in their car as they left a Manhattan nightclub. Police were investigating a shooting in the club.

2005 - Axel F
It was announced that ‘Crazy Frog’ by Axel F was the best selling UK ringtone of 2005. ‘Tweet Tweet’ by Sweetie Chick was the second and ‘(Is This The Way To) Amarillo’ by Tony Christie and Peter Kay was the third biggest seller. The UK ringtone market was now worth more than double the value of the CD singles sales.

2008 - The Allman Brothers Band
Thieves broke into a house belonging to The Allman Brothers Band singer and keyboardist Gregg Allman in Georgia and stole a coin collection, knives and unreleased concert recordings. Two men where charged with the burglary two days later.

2008 - Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift started a seven-week run at No.1 on the US album charts with Fearless. The album was the best-selling album of 2009, making Swift, 18 at the time of the album's release, the youngest artist to have the best-selling album of a calendar year. The album is certified diamond by RIAA and has sold over 7.18 million copies.

2008 - Delaney Bramlett
Singer, songwriter, guitarist, Delaney Bramlett died in Los Angeles from complications after gall bladder surgery. Was a member of Delaney, Bonnie & Friends and worked with George Harrison, The Everly Brothers, John Lennon, Janis Joplin, J.J. Cale, and Eric Clapton.

2015 - Stevie Wright
Singer Stevie Wright died aged 68. During 1964–69 he was lead singer of Sydney-based band the Easybeats, who had the 1966 world-wide hit 'Friday on My Mind'. The Easybeats were widely regarded as the greatest Australian pop band of the 1960s.

End of post 1 of 2.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1931 - Scotty Moore
Scotty Moore, guitarist, whose first group was Doug Poindexter & the Starlite Wranglers. He played on the first Sun Studios session with Elvis Presley and went on to a lengthy career with Presley, playing on many of his most famous recordings including 'Baby Let's Play House', 'Heartbreak Hotel', 'Mystery Train', 'That's All Right', 'Hound Dog' and 'Jailhouse Rock'. Moore died on 28th June 2016 aged 84.

1941 - Les Maguire
Les Maguire, who with Gerry And The Pacemakers had the 1963 UK No.1 single 'How Do You Do It' and the 1965 US No.6 single, 'Ferry Cross The Mersey'. In common with The Beatles they came from Liverpool, were managed by Brian Epstein, and were recorded by George Martin.

1941 - Mike Pinder
Mike Pinder, Keyboards with English rock band The Moody Blues who had the 1965 UK No.1 & US No.10 single 'Go Now' and the hits singles including 'Go Now', 'Nights in White Satin' and 'Question'.

1942 - Mike Heron
Mike Heron, The Incredible String Band, UK folk group, (1967 album 'The 5000 Spirits or The Layers Of The Onion).

1944 - Mick Jones
Mick Jones, guitarist with English-American rock band Foreigner, who scored the 1985 UK & US No.1 single 'I Want To Know What Love Is'. They are one of the world's best-selling bands of all time with worldwide sales of more than 80 million records. Prior to Foreigner, Jones was in the band Spooky Tooth.

1948 - Larry Byrom
Larry Byrom, guitarist from Steppenwolf who had the 1969 US No.2 hit single 'Born To Be Wild'. Steppenwolf sold over 25 million records worldwide, released eight gold albums and scored 12 Billboard Hot 100 singles.

1952 - David Knopfler
British singer-songwriter, guitarist, David Knopfler, (the younger brother of guitarist Mark Knopfler). He is a co-founder of the rock band Dire Straits, with whom he spent three years. After quitting the band, Knopfler embarked upon a solo career.

1961 - Youth
Youth, record producer and a founding member and bassist of Killing Joke who had the 1985 UK No.16 single 'Love Like Blood'. As a producer he has worked with U2 and he is a member of The Fireman, along with Paul McCartney.

1972 - Matt Slocum
Matt Slocum, guitarist, keyboards, Sixpence None The Richer, (1999 UK No.4 single, 'Kiss Me', 1999 US No.8 single 'There She Goes').

1984 - Spectacular Blue Smith
Spectacular Blue Smith, singer, from American R&B/hip hop group Pretty Ricky who scored the 2007 US No.1 album Late Night Special.

1988 - Hayley Williams
Hayley Williams, singer, from American rock band Paramore, who had the 2009 UK No.1 album Brand New Eyes and their 2013 self-titled fourth studio album hit No.1 on the US chart.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Monday.

Post 1 of 2:

1961 - Danny Williams
Danny Williams was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Moon River', the Oscar-winning song was from the film Breakfast At Tiffany's. The Tokens were at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight.'

1968 - The Beatles
The Beatles went to No.1 on the US album chart with the The White Album the group's 12th US No.1 album. A double album, its plain white sleeve has no graphics or text other than the band's name embossed, which was intended as a direct contrast to the vivid cover artwork of the band's earlier Sgt. Pepper's. No singles were issued from the album in Britain and the United States, the songs 'Hey Jude' and 'Revolution' originated from the same recording sessions and were issued on a single in August 1968.

1968 - Joni Mitchell
The three day Miami Pop festival took place, the first major rock festival held on the East Coast of the US, with The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Chuck Berry, The McCoys, Joni Mitchell, Fleetwood Mac, Marvin Gaye, The Turtles, The Box Tops, Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, Pacific Gas and Electric, Procol Harum, Canned Heat, Iron Butterfly and Grateful Dead.

1968 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd appeared at the two day festival Flight To Lowlands Paradise II, Margriethal-Jaarbeurs, Utrecht, The Netherlands, (replacing The Jimi Hendrix Experience). Other acts appearing included Jethro Tull, Jeff Beck, The Pretty Things and the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.

1970 - George Harrison
George Harrison was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'My Sweet Lord' making him the first Beatle to score a No.1 US hit. The song was originally intended for Billy Preston.

1972 - David Bowie
David Bowie appeared at The Hardrock, Stretford, Manchester, England on his Ziggy Stardust tour.

1974 - Helen Reddy
Helen Reddy went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Angie Baby', the singers third US No.1. The song was turned down by Cher.

1976 - Freddie King
Blues guitarist Freddie King died of heart trouble and ulcers aged 42. Eric Clapton covered his 'Have You Ever Loved A Woman' on his Layla album. Major influence on British and American blues-rock musicians such as Jimmy Vaughan, Ronnie Earl, Peter Green and Eric Clapton.

1978 - The Rolling Stones
Rolling Stone magazine voted Some Girls by The Rolling Stones 'Album of the Year.' The cover designed by Peter Corriston, featured The Rolling Stones in garish drag alongside select female celebrities and lingerie ads. The cover immediately ran into trouble when Lucille Ball, Farrah Fawcett, Liza Minnelli (representing her mother Judy Garland), Raquel Welch, and the estate of Marilyn Monroe who all threatened legal action.

1983 - Dennis Wilson
Having made two successful dives below a friend’s yacht to find items he’d drunkenly thrown off his own boat three years before, The Beach Boys Dennis Wilson took one last dive into the Pacific and never returned from the boat moored in Marina Del Rey, California. With the help of President Reagan he was given a burial at sea, normally reserved for Naval personnel. Dennis was the only genuine surfer in The Beach Boys.

1991 - Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana and Pearl Jam
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana and Pearl Jam all appeared at Del Mar O'Brien Pavilion, San Diego, California.

1993 - Shania Twain
Canadian singer Shania Twain married record producer Mutt Lange. The couple separated in 2008 after 14 years of marriage.

1998 - Massive Attack
UK radio station BBC Radio 1 aired the 100 National Anthems, songs voted by listeners. At No.5 Radiohead, 'Creep', No.4 Underworld 'Born Slippy', No.3 The Verve 'Bitter Sweet Symphony', No.2 Nirvana 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' No.1 Massive Attack 'Unfinished Sympathy'.

2003 - 50 Cent
50 Cent's debut album, Get Rich Or Die Tryin' was named the biggest selling album in the US in 2003 with the album going platinum six times over. Outkast came second with Speakerboxxx / The Love Below and Linkin Parks Meteora was the third biggest seller. The Top 10 albums of 2003 in the USA accounted for around 30 million sales.

2005 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd were voted the greatest rock stars ever in a survey of 58,000 listeners from UK radio station Planet Rock. Led Zeppelin were voted into second place, 3rd was The Rolling Stones, 4th The Who, 5th, AC/DC, 6th, U2, 7th, Guns N’ Roses, 8th, Nirvana, 9th, Bon Jovi and in 10th place Jimi Hendrix. Listeners also named the 1970s as the golden age of rock, followed by the 1960’s.

2011 - Sinead O'Connor
Sinead O’Connor announced the end of her marriage to therapist Barry Herridge after only 16 days. O'Connor admitted that they had "made a mistake rushing into getting married". This was the Irish singers fourth marriage.

2015 - Lemmy
Lemmy, lead vocalist and bassist with Motörhead died at his home in Los Angeles, California, four days after his 70th birthday following a short battle with an extremely aggressive cancer. Lemmy played in several rock groups in the 1960s, including the Rockin' Vickers and worked as a roadie for Jimi Hendrix and the Nice, before joining the space rock band Hawkwind in 1971, singing lead on their hit 'Silver Machine'.

2015 - John Bradbury
John Bradbury, the longtime drummer for the British band the Specials, died aged 62. He joined the band in 1979 after the original drummer left and was made a permanent member after playing at the recording session for the single 'Gangsters.'

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1915 - Roebuck Staples
Roebuck 'pop' Staples, vocals, The Staple Singers, (1975 US No.1 single 'Let's Do It Again'). Died 19th December 2000.

1921 - Johnny Otis
Johnny Otis, (1957 UK No.2 single 'Ma, He's Making Eyes At Me', 1958 US No.9 single 'Willie And The Hand Jive').

1936 - Young Jessie
American singer Young Jessie who was a member of The Coasters. In 1955 he wrote and recorded the single 'Mary Lou,' later covered by Ronnie Hawkins, Steve Miller Band, Bob Seger, Gene Clark and Frank Zappa.

1938 - Charles Neville
Charles Neville, sax, The Neville Brothers, (1989 UK No.47 single 'With God On Our Side').

1942 - Allan Schwartzberg
American musician and record producer Allan Schwartzberg who has been a member of the rock band Mountain, Peter Gabriel's band, and toured with Linda Ronstadt. He has also played on hits such as Gloria Gaynor 'Never Can Say Goodbye' and worked with many artists including John Lennon, Diana Ross, James Brown, Alice Cooper, Frank Sinatra, Roxy Music, Rod Stewart and Robert Palmer.

1943 - Chas Hodges
English musician and singer Chas Hodges, who had worked with British producer Joe Meek as a session musician, backing Jerry Lee Lewis and Gene Vincent. Hodges later joined Heads Hands and Feet, (with guitarist Albert Lee). With Chas & Dave he scored the 1982 UK No.2 single 'Ain't No Pleasing You'. He also played piano for short-lived supergroup the Rockers, which featured Roy Wood, Phil Lynott and John Coghlan. He died from pneumonia on 22 September 2018, aged 74.

1946 - Edgar Winter
Edgar Winter, Edgar Winter Group, keyboards, vocals, (1973 US No.1 & UK No.18 single 'Frankenstein').

1947 - Dingeman Adriaan Henry van der Sluijs (Stage Name **ahem** Diamonde).
Dingeman Adriaan Henry van der Sluijs ,The Easybeats, (1966 UK No.6 & 1967 US No. 16 single 'Friday On My Mind').

1950 - Alex Chilton
Alex Chilton, guitar, vocals, with The Box Tops who had the 1967 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'The Letter'. He formed Big Star in 1971. In the 1980s both R.E.M., and the Replacements cited Big Star group as a major influence. Chilton died in hospital of heart problems in New Orleans on March 17th 2010 aged 59.

1953 - Richard Clayderman
Richard Clayderman, French pianist who has sold over 70 million albums world-wide, biggest UK hit is the 1982 UK No.2 album 'Richard Clayderman.'

1954 - Rosie Vela
Rosie Vela, US singer songwriter, (1987 UK No.27 single 'Magic Smile').

1964 - Paul Wagstaff
Paul Wagstaff, Black Grape, (1995 UK No.8 single 'In The Name Of The Father').

1971 - Anita Dels
Anita Dels, vocals, 2 Unlimited, (1993 UK No.1 single 'No Limit').

1977 - LaShawn Daniels
US songwriter LaShawn Daniels, who co-wrote such hits as Destiny's Child's Grammy-winning ‘Say My Name’ and Lady Gaga's ‘Telephone’. He had also worked with artists including Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Brandy and Toni Braxton. Daniels died in a car crash in South Carolina on 3 September 2019 aged 41.

1978 - John Legend
John Legend (John Stephens), singer, songwriter, 2006 US No.3 & UK No.10 album 'Once Again.' Scored the 2014 US No.1 single 'All Of Me'.

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing, @MOHLovesAlaska. 👍

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

@AlyssaPandora you are more than welcome. Thank you Alyssa for your interest in this post, I am glad you like reading it. 

I hope you had a very happy and memorable Christmas with your family. Wishing you a great week. Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

This Day In Music History for this Tuesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1956 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley made chart history by having 10 songs on Billboards Top 100 for week ending Dec 19th.

1962 - Bob Dylan
During his first visit to the UK Bob Dylan performed at The Troubadour in London.

1964 - The Beatles
The Liverpool Youth Employment Service announced that some school leavers were finding it difficult to get jobs because their 'Beatle' style haircuts and clothing were unacceptable to employers.

1966 - Paul McCartney
Working at Abbey Road studios, London, Paul McCartney began work on his new song ‘Penny Lane’, recording six takes of keyboard tracks and various percussion effects. The song's title is derived from the name of a street near John Lennon's house, in the band's hometown, Liverpool. McCartney and Lennon would meet at Penny Lane junction in the Mossley Hill area to catch a bus into the Centre of the city.

1966 - Jimi Hendrix
The Jimi Hendrix Experience made their debut on the UK TV show Top Of The Pops performing 'Hey Joe'.

1967 - Dave Mason
British guitarist and singer Dave Mason quit Traffic after differences of musical opinion. Mason wrote 'Hole in My Shoe', a psychedelic pop song that became a hit in for Traffic in 1967.

1968 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin appeared at the Civic Auditorium, Portland on their first North American tour opening for Vanilla Fudge.

1973 - Jim Croce
Jim Croce scored his second No.1 US single of the year when 'Time In A Bottle' went to the top of the charts. Croce was killed in a plane crash on the way to a concert on September 20th 1973.

1980 - Tim Hardin
American singer, songwriter Tim Hardin died of a heroin overdose. Hardin wrote the songs 'If I Were A Carpenter' (covered by Bobby Darin, Johnny Cash and June Carter, The Four Tops, Leon Russell, Small Faces, Robert Plant and Bob Seger,) and 'Reason To Believe', (covered by Rod Stewart). Hardin appeared at the 1969 Woodstock Festival.

1984 - Band Aid 20
Band Aid were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with Do They Know It's Christmas? and Madonna was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Like A Virgin.'

1999 - Spice Girls
Three ferrets named Beckham, Posh Spice and Baby Spice were used to lay power cables for a rock concert being held in Greenwich, London, England, (workers were not allowed to dig up the turf at the Royal Park). Organizers found that rods could not push the cables through the tiny tunnels, which frequently bend and dog-leg. The ferrets were eased into tiny nylon harnesses with wires which where then attached to a rope, the animals ran into a series of ducts which were under the stage like rabbit runs, leading the cables with them. The ferrets instinctively make for any hole in the ground and are enticed to the end of the duct by a slab of smelly meat. The New Years Eve concert featured Simply Red, Eurythmics and Bryan Ferry.

2001 - Aretha Franklin
Aretha Franklin was suing a US newspaper which alleged that the star had alcohol problems. The singer's lawyers filed a federal lawsuit against the Florida-based Star claiming she was defamed by an article in the paper in December 2000 and were seeking $50m (£35m) in damages.

2010 - Bon Jovi
Pollster reported that Bon Jovi were the highest earning touring act of the year, taking in over $200 million (£130.7m). Australian rockers AC/DC landed at number two for the second year in a row, with tickets sales from their recent trek totaling $177m (£115m). U2 which was the top worldwide act in 2009, came in at third place, with ticket sales totaling $160.9m (£104.6m). Lady Gaga followed in fourth place, with Metallica at number five.

2011 - Bobby Purify
Robert Lee Dickey, who performed as Bobby Purify in the '60s Soul duo James And Bobby Purify, passed away at the age of 72. The pair are most often remembered for their 1966, Billboard Top 10 hit, 'I'm Your Puppet'.

2012 - Adele
According to sales data, Adele's 21 had overtaken Oasis’ (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? to become the UK’s fourth biggest selling album of all-time. Latest data confirmed that, Oasis’ 1995 second album had sold 4,555,000 copies to date, while Adele’s 21 has surged ahead with sales of over 4,562,000 copies. The news came just over a year since 21 overtook Amy Winehouse's Back To Black to become the UK's biggest selling album of the 21st Century.

2013 - Morrissey
A one-of-a-kind signed hardback copy of Autobiography by Morrissey, the only copy of the full-colour hardback signed by the author, sold on eBay for £8,300, with all proceeds going to PETA as a New Year's present to help prevent the slaughtering of animals for meat. Morrissey signed only one copy of the book – the cover of which pictures the singer-songwriter bare-chested in a swimming pool.

2013 - Benjamin Curtis
American guitarist, drummer, and songwriter Benjamin Curtis died age 35. He was a founding member of the bands Secret Machines, School of Seven Bells, and UFOFU. He was also drummer for the band Tripping Daisy from 1997 to 1999. It was announced in late February 2013 that he had been diagnosed with T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma.

2019 - Neil Innes
Neil Innes, the English writer, comedian and musician died aged 75. He was best known for his work with the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, The Rutles and collaborating with Monty Python.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1941 - Ray Thomas
Ray Thomas, English musician, best known as a flautist, singer and composer with English rock band The Moody Blues who had the 1965 UK No.1 & US No.10 single 'Go Now' and the hits singles including 'Go Now', 'Nights in White Satin' and 'Question'. Thomas died on 4 January 2018 six days after his 76th birthday.

1942 - Rick Danko
Canadian musician, bassist, songwriter and singer, Rick Danko, member of The Hawks ( Ronnie Hawkins's backing group), and The Band who went on to release ten studio albums. Bob Dylan hired them for his US tour in 1965 and world tour in 1966. Danko died on 10th December 1999 due to heart failure, arising from years of alcoholism, drug addiction and weight gain.

1946 - Marianne Faithfull
English singer, songwriter and actress Marianne Faithfull and one time girlfriend of Mick Jagger. She achieved popularity in the 1960s with the release of her hit single 'As Tears Go By' (written by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, and Rolling Stones' manager Andrew Loog Oldham) and became one of the lead female artists during the "British Invasion" in the United States.

1947 - Cozy Powell
English rock drummer Cozy Powell, who worked with The Jeff Beck Group, Rainbow, Gary Moore, Robert Plant, Brian May, Whitesnake, Emerson, Lake & Powell and Black Sabbath. Powell scored the 1973 solo UK No. 3 hit single 'Dance With The Devil'. Powell was killed in a car crash in England on 5 April 1998. According to a report, at the time of the crash Powell's blood-alcohol reading was over the legal limit, and he was not wearing a seat belt, and was talking with his girlfriend on his mobile phone at the time of the crash.

1948 - Charlie Spinosa
Charlie Spinosa, from John Fred and His Playboy Band who had the 1968 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)' which was a parodic play on the title of The Beatles' song 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'.

1951 - Yvonne Elliman
Yvonne Elliman, singer, 1978 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'If I Can't Have You', also worked with Eric Clapton.

1954 - John Robinson
American drummer and session musician John Robinson known for his work with Quincy Jones, including Michael Jackson's multiplatinum Off the Wall album and the charity single 'We Are the World'. Robinson has also worked with the likes of Eric Clapton, John Fogerty, David Lee Roth, Steve Winwood, Daft Punk and Madonna.

1955 - Neil Giraldo
Neil Giraldo, Pat Benatar group, (1985 UK No.17 single 'Love Is A Battlefield', plus 10 other US Top 40 singles).

1961 - Jim Reid
Jim Reid, The Jesus and Mary Chain, (1987 UK No.8 single 'April Skies').

1961 - Mark Day
Mark Day, guitarist with English alternative rock band Happy Mondays who had the 1990 UK No.5 single 'Step On' and the 1990 hit Kinky Afro'.

1963 - Alex Gifford
Alex Gifford from English electronic duo Propellerheads who scored the scored the 1997 UK No.7 single 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'.

1966 - Bryan Holland
Bryan Holland, vocals, guitar, from American punk rock band The Offspring, who had the 1999 UK No.1 single 'Pretty Fly, (For A White Guy)', and the 1999 US No.6 & UK No.10 album Americana.

1995 - Cody Wise
Cody Wise, American singer best known for featuring on the 2014 UK No.1 hit ‘It's My Birthday’ by will.i.am. The track became will.i.am's tenth chart-topper, (including five as a member of The Black Eyed Peas).

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Wednesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1963 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones performed at Studio 51 in Soho, London, on the same bill as Jimmy Powell and the Five Dimensions, who featured a young Rod Stewart. The Stones played a regular Sunday afternoon gig at the club from 4pm until 6.30pm and were billed as Rhythm and Blues with The Rolling Stones.

1965 - The Who
The Kinks, The Who, Manfred Man, The Hollies and Gerry and the Pacemakers all appeared on tonight's episode of TV pop show 'Shindig!' The US series featured.

1966 - UFO presents Night Tripper
Pink Floyd and Soft Machine appeared at the UFO presents Night Tripper at the Blarney Club, London, England.

1967 - Gladys Knight
The Beatles scored their 15th US No.1 with ‘Hello Goodbye’, Gladys Knight and the Pips were at No.2 with 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' and The Monkees at No.3 with 'Daydream Believer'

1968 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin (who were advertised as Len Zefflin), appeared at Gonzaga University Gymnasium, Spokane on their first North American tour supporting Vanilla Fudge.

1969 - Peter Tork
Peter Tork quit The Monkees buying himself out of his contract which left him broke. He went on to form a group called Release and played banjo on George Harrison's soundtrack to the film Wonderwall.

1995 - Clarence Satchell
American saxophonist and guitarist Clarence Satchell from The Ohio Players died aged 55. The band formed in Dayton, Ohio in 1959 as the Ohio Untouchables and were later best known as a backing group for The Falcons. The Ohio Players scored the 1974 US No.1 single 'Fire' and had hits with ‘Skin Tight’, ‘I Want To Be Free’ and ‘Love Roller Coaster.’

1998 - Johnny Moore
American rhythm and blues singer Johnny Moore who was lead singer for The Drifters on their 1960s hit 'Under The Boardwalk', died at the age of 64. Moore began as lead singer of the Cleveland based group the Hornets, before being discovered by the Drifters. He joined the group as lead vocalist in New York in 1955, at age 21. Moore also sang lead on the hits ‘Saturday Night At The Movies’, ‘Come On Over To My Place’ and ‘Up In The Streets Of Harlem’.

1999 - George Harrison
George Harrison and his wife Olivia were attacked when an intruder broke into their home in Henley-on-Thames, Oxford shire. Olivia beat off the attacker with a poker and heavy lamp. Harrison who was stabbed in the chest was admitted to hospital and treated for a collapsed lung and various minor stab wounds. His wife, Olivia, was treated for cuts and bruises she had suffered in the struggle with the intruder. Police later arrested Michael Abram from Liverpool who had nursed an irrational obsession with The Beatles.

1999 - Noddy Holder
In the Queen's Millennium Honours list, former Slade singer Noddy Holder was awarded an MBE and guitarist Mark Knopfler was awarded an OBE.

2002 - Joe Strummer
The funeral of former Clash singer and guitarist Joe Strummer took place in London. Strummer had died of a suspected heart attack on 22nd Dec 2002 aged 50.

2002 - Diana Ross
Diana Ross was arrested for drink driving by the Arizona highway patrol after a motorist called to report a swerving vehicle in the western state of Arizona. When asked to walk in a straight line she fell over, could not count to 30 or balance on one foot. Police said the singer was twice over the drink drive limit with a blood-alcohol of 0.20, the legal limit is 0.08.

2003 - Cris Kirkwood
Cris Kirkwood from the Meat Puppets was arrested and accused of hitting a federal post office security guard in the head with a baton that the musician took from the guard during a struggle, the guard then shot Kirkwood in the back. The incident began over a dispute about parking with another customer at a Phoenix post office.

2006 - Brandy
R&B singer Brandy was involved in a four-car crash that left one woman dead, after the singer failed to slow down and hit the back of another car. Brandy was alone in her car and no alcohol or drugs were involved.

2009 - Neil Young
Singer, songwriter Neil Young was made an Officer of the Order of Canada. Other Canadian musicians who have been given the award include Bryan Adams, Leonard Cohen and the members of Rush.

2009 - Rowland S. Howard
Australian rock musician, guitarist and songwriter Rowland S. Howard died age 50. He was best known for his work with the post-punk group The Birthday Party and his subsequent solo career. Howard wrote ‘Shivers’ at the age of 16 while in the band The Young Charlatans and later gained acclaim after joining Melbourne-based band The Boys Next Door, when the song was released as a single. The band changed their name to The Birthday Party and Howard's discordant guitar remained a major factor in their sound.

2012 - Brian May
Brian May was named animal welfare charity PETA UK's Person of the Year for his efforts to help stop the culling of badgers. The guitarist's group Save Me formed Team Badger alongside PETA and various other animal welfare groups. PETA's Mimi Bekhechi said of May:

2012 - The Beatles
A rare copy of a Beatles LP signed by all four members sold - for the sum rejected at auction in Sussex a few weeks earlier. Chris Collins, from Eastbourne, and his sister, Liz Chambers, from Worthing, initially turned down a £12,000 bid for a copy of the album, Please Please Me. They had hoped to get £15,000 for the LP, which was given to their late father during a drinking session. But the siblings later accepted £12,000 from private buyers. The album was signed by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr after they used it as a drinks coaster during a card game in 1963.

2014 - Pulp
The woman who inspired Pulp's hit song 'Disco 2000' died shortly after being appointed an MBE. Deborah Bone, from Hertfordshire was a childhood friend of lead singer Jarvis Cocker in Sheffield. She was diagnosed with cancer in 2013. The 1995 Britpop hit contains the lyric: "Your name is Deborah. Deborah. It never suited ya."

2016 - Run-DMC
A member of rap group Run-DMC filed a $50m (£40.7m) lawsuit accusing retailers of unlawfully using the group's name on items of clothing. Darryl "DMC" McDaniel's said that products sold by Amazon, Walmart and other stores violated federal trademark and New York competition laws.

2016 - Allan Williams
Allan Williams the first manager of The Beatles died at the age of 86. Williams worked with The Beatles from 1960 to 1961, getting the band gigs in Britain, and in Hamburg. Williams personally drove the van to take the Beatles to Hamburg in 1960, which didn't have seats; The Beatles had to sit on their amplifiers in the back of the van.

End of post 1 of 2.
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1928 - Bo Diddley
Bo Diddley guitarist, singer, (R&B hits, 'Bo Diddley', 'You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover', 1963 UK No.34 single 'Pretty Thing'). When The Beatles first went to the US, John Lennon was asked what he would like to see; he replied Bo Diddley. Bo Diddley died from heart failure in Archer, Florida aged 79 on 2nd June 2008.

1934 - Del Shannon
American rock and roll and country musician and singer-songwriter Del Shannon best known for his 1961 UK and US No.1 single 'Runaway'. Suffering from depression, for which he was taking Prozac, Shannon committed suicide on February 8, 1990, killing himself with a .22-caliber rifle at his home in Santa Clarita, California.

1937 - Paul Stookey
Paul Stookey, singer-songwriter from American folk group Peter Paul and Mary, who had the 1969 US No.1 & 1970 UK No.2 single 'Leaving On A Jet Plane'. The Bob Dylan song 'Blowin' in the Wind' was one of their biggest hit singles. They also sang other Dylan songs, such as 'The Times They Are a-Changin'' and 'Don't Think Twice, It's All Right'.

1939 - Felix Pappalardi
American music producer, songwriter, vocalist, and bass guitarist Felix Pappalardi. He produced Disraeli Gears for Cream and The Youngbloods' first album. He was a founding member of the American hard rock band/heavy metal forerunner Mountain. Pappalardi was shot and killed by his wife, Gail, on April 17, 1983, in their East Side Manhattan apartment. Gail Pappalardi was subsequently charged with second-degree murder.

1940 - Perry Ford
Perry Ford, Ivy League, (1965 UK No.3 single 'Tossing and Turning').

1940 - Kenny Penifallo
Kenny Penifallo, from the Jersey Shore group Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes who had the 1978 album Hearts Of Stone and have released over ten other albums.

1942 - Mike Nesmith
Mike Nesmith, vocals, guitar, The Monkees (1967 UK & US No.1 single 'I'm A Believer' plus 10 US & 8 UK Top 40 singles). He wrote 'Different Drum' (sung by Linda Ronstadt with the Stone Poneys), and was the executive producer of the cult film Repo Man (1984).

1942 - Robert Quine
Robert Quine, guitarist from Richard Hell and the Voidoids, who had the 1977 album 'Blank Generation'. Worked with Lou Reed, Brian Eno, Lloyd Cole, They Might Be Giants. Quine was found dead on May 31st 2004 of a heroin overdose.

1945 - Davy Jones
English singer-songwriter, musician and actor Davy Jones, The Monkees who had the 1967 UK & US No.1 single 'I'm A Believer' plus 10 US & 8 UK Top 40 singles. His television acting debut was on the British television soap opera Coronation Street when he portrayed Colin Lomax, Ena Sharples' grandson. Jones died on 29 February 2012 of a severe heart attack due to atherosclerosis.

1946 - Clive Bunker
British rock drummer Clive Bunker, the original drummer in the British band Jethro Tull between 1967 and 1971.

1946 - Patti Smith
American singer-songwriter, poet and visual artist Patti Smith, who became a highly influential component of the New York City punk rock movement. Smith had the 1976 album 'Horses', and the 1978 UK No.5 and US No.13 single 'Because The Night', co-written with Bruce Springsteen.

1947 - Jeff Lynne
English songwriter, singer, record producer Jeff Lynne, who was a member of Idle Race, then The Move who had the 1969 UK No.1 single 'Blackberry Way'. He co-founded ELO who had the 1979 hit 'Don't Bring Me Down'. And with the Traveling Wilburys had the 1988 UK hit 'Handle With Care'. As a producer Lynne has worked with George Harrison, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, Paul McCartney, Brian Wilson, Joe Walsh and others.

1959 - Tracy Ullman
Tracy Ullman, singer, actress, (1983 UK No.2 single 'They Don't Know').

1969 - Jay Kay
Jay Kay, English singer, songwriter with Jamiroquai who had the 1993 UK No.1 album Emergency on Planet Earth and the 1998 UK No.1 single 'Deeper Underground'. Jamiroquai have sold more than 26 million albums worldwide and won a Grammy Award in 1998.

1970 - Sister Bliss
Sister Bliss (Ayalah Bentovim), producer, DJ, from British electronica band Faithless who had the 1996 UK No.3 album Insomnia.

1973 - Jon Theodore
American drummer, Jon Theodore, former member of The Mars Volta who later joined Queens of the Stone Age. Also worked with Rage Against the Machine vocalist Zack de la Rocha.

1978 - Tyrese
Tyrese, US male singer, (1999 UK No.55 single, 'Sweet Lady', 2001 US No. 8 album, '2000 Watts').

1982 - Wesley Schultz
Wesley Schultz guitarist and lead vocalist for the American folk rock band The Lumineers. Their second album, Cleopatra, released in 2016 debuted at No.1 on the US chart and also on the Canadian and UK album charts.

1986 - Ellie Goulding
Born on this day in Ellie Goulding, UK singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. Her debut studio album, 'Lights', debuted at No.1 on the UK Albums Chart in 2010. Goulding also scored the 2013 No.1 single with her song, 'Burn'.

1988 - Leon Jackson
Leon Jackson, Scottish singer who won the fourth series of the UK TV talent show The X Factor in 2007. His UK No.1 debut single, a cover of the Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey duet 'When You Believe' became the fastest selling UK single of 2007. It also made Jackson the first Scottish artist to achieve a UK Christmas number one.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this New Year's Eve. Happy New Year.

Post 1 of 2:

1961 - The Beach Boys
The Beach Boys made their live debut using their new name when they appeared at Long Beach Civic Auditorium, California.

1962 - Bob Dylan
During his first visit to the UK Bob Dylan played at the King And Queen pub in London. Dylan had arrived in the UK on 17th Dec after British TV director Philip Saville had heard Dylan perform in Greenwich Village, and had invited him to take part in a BBC television drama: The Madhouse On Castle Street.

1963 - The Kinks
The Kinks made their live debut when they played at the Lotus House Restaurant, London. Now recognized as one of the most important and influential rock acts of the era, brothers Ray Davies and Dave Davies remained members throughout the group's 32-year run.

1966 - Neil Diamond
The Monkees started a 7-week run at No.1 on the US singles charts with the Neil Diamond song 'I'm A Believer'. Also No.1 in the UK in 1967.

1967 - Bert Berns
American songwriter and producer Bert Berns died of heart failure aged 38. He wrote many classic songs including 'Twist And Shout', 'Hang On Sloopy', ‘Here Comes the Night’, ‘I Want Candy’, ‘Under the Boardwalk’, ‘Everybody Needs Somebody to Love’ and 'Brown Eyed Girl'.

1970 - Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney filed a suit against the rest of The Beatles to dissolve their partnership. According to the court documents, McCartney's main reason for wanting to legally break up the group stemmed from the decision taken by the others to to appoint Rolling Stones manager Allan Klein as their manager. McCartney didn't trust Klein and had wanted his new in-laws, Lee and John Eastman, to look after their affairs. The suit took more than four years of court hearings, with the group officially disbanding in January 1975.

1973 - AC/DC
Australian band AC/DC made their live debut when they appeared at Chequeens Bar in Sydney.

1979 - David Bowie
David Bowie performed an acoustic version of 'Space Oddity' on the UK TV 'Kenny Everett New Year's Show'. Bowie was also seen on the **ahem** Clark TV show in the US on this date, on his Salute To The Seventies.

1982 - Bruce Springsteen
Max's Kansas City in New York City closed down. The venue had been a launching pad for such artists as The New York Dolls, Bruce Springsteen and The Velvet Underground.

1984 - Rick Allen
Def Leppard drummer Rick Allen crashed his Corvette Stingray, on the A57 outside Sheffield, Allen lost his left arm in the accident. Allen was on his way to a New Year's Eve party at his family's home when a Jaguar passed him. The driver had been egging Allen on and would not allow him to pass. In his rage to pass this driver, he did not see a turn up ahead and lost control of his car. He was thrown from the car, with his left arm severed due to the seatbelt not being properly fastened.

1985 - Ricky Nelson
Ricky Nelson was killed along with six others, when his charted light aircraft crashed in Texas. It's rumored that freebasing cocaine caused an onboard explosion. Nelson had played himself on his parent's US TV The Adventures Of Ozzie and Harriet.' (1958 US No.1 'Poor Little Fool', 1961 UK No.2 single 'Hello Mary Lou' plus over 30 US Top 40 hit singles).

1991 - Nirvana
Pearl Jam, Nirvana and the Red Hot Chili Peppers all appeared on the same bill at the Cow Palace, San Francisco, California.

1996 - Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney became a Sir after he was listed in the Queen's New Year's Honours List.

1999 - Manic Street Preachers
The Manic Street Preachers performed to 57,000 fans at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. The Guinness Book of Records confirmed that the concert set a new record as the biggest indoor show ever staged in Europe, tickets £30.

2000 - Janet Jackson
Janet Jackson's estranged husband filed a lawsuit against the singer claiming that Jackson, who had sold more than 40 million records, promised to share equally any assets acquired after their relationship began in 1987.

2003 - Kevin McMichael
Kevin McMichael, guitarist with Cutting Crew died of lung cancer aged 51. (1987 US No.1 & 1986 UK No.4 single 'I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight'). Also worked with Robert Plant and The Rankin Family.

2004 - Pete Waterman
Pete Waterman was awarded an OBE for his services to music. Once part of the Stock, Aitken & Waterman team he also booked the first ever tour for The Bay City Rollers, signed Musical Youth and Nik Kershaw during the 70’s and was promotion consultant for John Travolta. Waterman had written and produced more than 200 hit singles in 25 years for acts from Kylie Minogue to Steps.

2005 - John Lennon
The John Lennon song Imagine was voted the nations favourite song a quarter of a century after his death. A UK radio station conducted the poll of 7,000 listeners. The Beatles were voted into second and third place with ‘Hey Jude’ and 'Let It Be.'

2005 - James Blunt
According to official figures singer-songwriter James Blunt's 'Back To Bedlam' was the biggest selling UK album of 2005. The former soldier, who was virtually unknown this time last year, outsold Coldplay's album 'X&Y' which finished second and Robbie Williams came in third place with ‘Intensive Care’ album. The rest of the Top 10: No.4. Kaiser Chiefs - ‘Employment’, 5. Gorillaz - ‘Demon Days’, 6. Westlife - ‘Face To Face’, 7. KT Tunstall - ‘Eye To The Telescope’, 8. Kelly Clarkson - ‘Breakaway’, 9. Faithless - ‘Forever Faithless - The Greatest Hits’ and No.10, Eminem - ‘Curtain Call - The Hits’.

2006 - George Michael
George Michael was paid a reported £1.5m for an hour's concert at a Russian billionaire's New Year party. The unnamed businessman paid for Michael to entertain his 300 guests on his private estate 20 miles outside Moscow. Michael had just finished the British leg of his Twenty-five tour which included a free concert for nurses in London.

2009 - Status Quo
Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi from Status Quo were both appointed OBEs for services to music and charity.

2012 - John Lennon & Eric Clapton
A draft of a letter John Lennon written to Eric Clapton on Sept. 29, 1971 asking him to collaborate on a musical project sold for $35,000 at an auction. Still in pristine condition, the letter was originally estimated to fetch somewhere between $20,000 and $30,000.

2015 - Natalie Cole
American singer, songwriter Natalie Cole died aged 65 due to congestive heart failure. The daughter of Nat 'King' Cole, she had the 1989 UK No.2 single 'Miss You Like Crazy', and the hits 'This Will Be', 'Inseparable', and 'Our Love'. In the 1990s, she re-recorded standards by her father, resulting in her biggest success, Unforgettable... with Love, which sold over seven million copies and also won Cole numerous Grammy Awards.

End of post 1 of 2:
MOHLovesAlaska

Bon On This Day In The Music World.

Post 2 of 2:

1930 - Odetta
American singer, actress, guitarist, songwriter, and a civil and human rights activist Odetta. She influenced many of the key figures of the folk-revival of that time, including Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Mavis Staples, and Janis Joplin. Time magazine included her song 'Take This Hammer' on its list of the 100 Greatest Popular Songs. Martin Luther King Jr. called her the queen of American folk music. Odetta died on 2 December 2008 age 77.

1942 - Andy Summers
English guitarist Andy Summers, The Police who scored the 1983 UK & US No.1 single 'Every Breath You Take', plus four other UK No.1 singles. Their second album Reggatta de Blanc became the first of five consecutive UK No. 1 albums and The Police won six Grammy Awards and two Brit Awards. Summers has composed music for films including 2010, Down and Out in Beverly Hills, The Wild Life and Weekend at Bernie's.

1943 - John Denver
Henry John Deutschendorf, (John Denver), singer, songwriter. 1974 UK & US No.1 single 'Annie's Song'. Killed in a plane crash on 12th October 1997.

1943 - Pete Quaife
English musician Pete Quaife, the original bass guitarist for The Kinks from 1963 until 1969. Known for the 1964 UK No.1 & US No.7 single 'You Really Got Me', the 1967 UK No.2 single 'Waterloo Sunset'.

1947 - Burton Cummings
Burton Cummings singer and songwriter from Canadian rock band Guess Who who had the 1970 US No.1 & UK No.19 single 'American Woman'.

1948 - Donna Summer
US singer Donna Summer, (1977 UK No.1 single 'I Feel Love' 1979 US No.1 & UK No.11 single 'Hot Stuff, over 25 other top 40 hits). Summer became the first act to be signed by David Geffen to his new Geffen record label. She died on May 17, 2012, at her home in Naples, Florida at the age of 63. She was diagnosed with lung cancer not related to smoking.

1951 - Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton, bassist with Aerosmith who scored the 1989 UK No.13 single 'Love In An Elevator', and their 1989 album Pump spent 53 weeks on the US charts They had the 1993 US No.1 & UK No.2 album Get A Grip and the 1998 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing'. Aerosmith is the best-selling American hard rock band of all time, having sold more than 150 million records worldwide.

1951 - Fermin Goytisolo
Fermin Goytisolo, singer with American disco and funk group KC and the Sunshine Band who had the 1975 US No.1 single 'That's The Way, I Like It', and the 1983 UK No.1 single 'Give It Up'.

1960 - Paul Westerberg
Paul Westerberg, lead singer, guitarist and songwriter from American rock band The Replacements, who released the 1984 album Let It Be. Initially a punk rock band, they are considered pioneers of alternative rock.

1961 - Scott Taylor
Scott Taylor, guitarist with English rock band Then Jerico who had the 1989 UK No.13 single 'Big Area'. He died on 27 April 2020 at the age of 58 from a brain tumor.

1963 - Scott Ian
Scott Ian, Anthrax, (1991 UK No.16 single 'Got The Time').

1970 - Danny McNamara
Danny McNamara, singer from English alternative rock band Embrace, who had the 2006 UK No. 2 single ‘Natures Law’, the 2006 UK No.1 album This New Day and two other UK No.1 albums.

1972 - Joey McIntyre
Joey McIntyre, from American boy band New Kids On The Block, who had the 1989 UK No.1 single 'You Got It, The Right Stuff', and the 1990 US No.1 single 'Step By Step'. They enjoyed success in the late 1980s and early 1990s and have sold more than 80 million records worldwide.

1977 - Psy
South Korean singer, songwriter, rapper, dancer, record producer and television personality, PSY, (born Park Jae-sang), who had the 2012 internationally hit single 'Gangnam Style.'

1979 - Bob Bryar
Bob Bryar, drummer, with American rock band My Chemical Romance who had the 2006 UK No.1 single ‘Welcome to the Black Parade’, and the 2006 US No.2 album The Black Parade.

Have a Happy and safe New Year. Take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Saturday.

Post 1 of 2:

1926 - The Melody Maker
The first issue of The Melody Maker went on sale priced at 3d. The monthly magazine was for 'all who are interested in the production of popular music'. In the first issue, Dance Band news, a feature on Ukuleles and how to read music by sight. Advertisements in Melody Maker helped assemble the line-ups of a number of major bands, including: The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Supertramp and The Stranglers.

1954 - Eddie Calvert
Eddie Calvert started a nine-week run at No.1 on the UK singles with 'Oh, Mein Papa.' This was the first No.1 to be recorded at Abbey Road studios in London and stayed at the top of the charts for 9 weeks.

1965 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley went to No.1 on the US album chart with the soundtrack from 'Roustabout,' Presley's eighth No.1.

1969 - John Lennon
The entire shipment of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's album 'Two Virgins' was seized by authorities in New Jersey due to the full frontal nude photograph of the couple on the cover. The album was eventually wrapped in plain brown paper in record stores.

1969 - Alice Cooper
Led Zeppelin played the first of four nights at the Whisky A Go-Go, Los Angeles during the bands first North American tour. Support group was the Alice Cooper band.

1969 - The Beatles
Filming began at Twickenham studios in England of The Beatles rehearsing for the 'Let It Be' album. The project ran into several problems including George Harrison walking out on the group on January 10th.

1971 - George Harrison
The George Harrison album 'All Things Must Pass' started a seven week run at No.1 on the US album chart, making Harrison the first solo Beatle to score a US No.1 album. The triple album included the hit singles 'My Sweet Lord' and 'What Is Life', as well as songs such as 'Isn't It a Pity' and the title track that were turned down by The Beatles.

1974 - Tex Ritter
US country singer, actor and radio presenter Tex Ritter died of a heart attack when he was trying to bail a member of his band from a jail in Nashville. His song 'High Noon' won an Oscar for Best Song in 1952.

1979 - Sid Vicious
Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious went on trial in New York accused of murdering his girlfriend Nancy Spungen three months earlier, when he claimed to have awoken from a drugged stupor to find Spungen dead on the bathroom floor of their room in the Hotel Chelsea in Manhattan, New York.

1980 - Larry Williams
US singer Larry Williams was found dead from a gunshot wound to his head in his Los Angeles, California home aged 45. Williams had the 1957 US No.5 & UK No. 21 single 'Short Fat Fannie.' Also known for 'Bony Moronie' and 'Dizzy Miss Lizzy.' The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Dr. Feelgood, Flying Burrito Brothers, Johnny Winter, Little Richard, The Who, Ritchie Valens and Bill Haley & His Comets all covered his songs.

1981 - David Lynch
American singer David Lynch of The Platters died of cancer. (1959 UK & US No.1 single 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes').

1985 - Ron Wood
Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood married his girlfriend Jo Woodin Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, England. Guests included Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Ringo Starr, Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck. The couple divorced in 2009.

1989 - Kylie Minogue
Record Mirror published a chart of last years Top UK singles artists. No.1 was Kylie Minogue, No.2, Bros, No.3, Yazz, No.4 Tiffany, No.5, Phil Collins, No.6, Cliff Richard, No.7, Erasure, No.8, Pet Shop Boys, No.9, Belinda Carlisle, and No.10, Wet Wet Wet.

1994 - Meat Loaf
Meat Loaf started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with his sixth studio album Bat Out Of Hell II - Back Into Hell. The LP, which featured the single 'I'd Do Anything for Love', also topped the charts in the US and Australia and has sold more than 14 million copies world-wide.

1997 - Randy California
Guitarist Randy California from US group Spirit drowned when rescuing his 12-year old son when he was sucked into a riptide in surf off Hawaii.

2002 - Nick Carter
Backstreet Boy Nick Carter was arrested in a Tampa, Florida night-club after being involved in a fight. Police said that Carter was arguing with a woman and when they asked him to leave, he continued arguing. He was arrested on a misdemeanor count of resisting a law enforcement officer without violence.

2003 - 50 Cent
50 Cent was arrested by police in New York after guns were found in his vehicle, after his SUV was searched when it had been left in a no-parking zone. Police found a .25-calibre handgun and a .45-calibre pistol in the vehicle, officers said both guns were loaded.

2005 - Green Day
Green Day were at No.1 on the UK album chart with their seventh album 'American Idiot.' The album went on to be nominated for seven Grammy Awards, winning the Best Rock Album of 2005.

2007 - Kylie Minogue
Kylie Minogue played the first of two nights at Wembley Arena in London during her re-scheduled Showgirl world tour. The tour was postponed last year after Kylie was diagnosed with breast cancer, for which the singer had since received treatment.

2007 - George Harrison
Cristin Keleher who once broke into former Beatle George Harrison's Hawaii home was found dead after an apparent murder-suicide in California, aged 34. She made headlines in December 1999 by entering Harrison's Maui estate and then cooking herself a frozen pizza. Police said her body had been found with that of a 48-year-old man in a car, both had gunshot wounds to their heads.

2007 - Gnarls Barkley
Gnarls Barkley's song 'Crazy' was confirmed as the biggest selling UK single of 2006 selling over 700,000 copies. The track, which was the first to reach number one on downloads alone, held off the challenge of X-factor winner Leone. Snow Patrol's album 'Eyes Open' topped the album chart with estimated sales of 1.5m while Take That's comeback release 'Beautiful World' came in just behind. Singles sales had doubled to over 65m since the download chart was launched in September 2004.

2008 - Josh Groban
Josh Groban was America's top selling artist of 2007, the 26-year-old whose hits included 'You Raise Me Up', had the best-selling album of the year with the Christmas compilation Noel, which sold close to 3.7m copies. The second biggest seller was the soundtrack for Disney's High School Musical 2. The Eagles were 2007's biggest selling group with sales of 3.58m albums.

2009 - AC/DC
According to official US sales figures AC/DC were the biggest sellers of 2008 with over 3.4m sales. To promote the groups latest album Black Ice, Columbia Records created "Rock Again AC/DC Stores" as well as "Black Ice" trucks which were dispatched on the streets of New York and Los Angeles playing AC/DC music aloud and making various stops each day to sell merchandise.

2012 - Larry Reinhardt
American rock guitarist Larry Reinhardt died aged 63 of cirrhosis of the liver. He played with Iron Butterfly and Captain Beyond. At one time Reinhardt was known by the nicknames "El Rhino" and "Ryno".

2014 - Jay Traynor
American singer Jay Traynor died age 70. He was the third lead vocalist of the Mystics, singing falsetto on 'The White Cliffs of Dover', and lead on 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' and 'Blue Star'. Later, he started Jay and the Americans with Kenny Vance and Sandy Yaguda, and was the original lead singer. He sang lead on the group's first 1962 hit, 'She Cried'.

End of post 1 of 2.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2016 - Adele
Adele was at No.1 on the US album chart with her third studio album 25. The album was a massive commercial success, debuting at No.1 in more than 25 markets and broke first-week sales records in multiple countries, including the United Kingdom and United States; in the US, the album sold 3.38 million copies in its first week of release, marking the largest single-week sales for an album since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking point-of-sale music purchases in 1991.

2018 - Rick Hall
American record producer, songwriter, music publisher, and musician Rick Hall best known as the owner of Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama died aged 85. Hall almost single-handedly established the town of Muscle Shoals as a crucible of some of the greatest soul music to be produced in America in the Sixties and Seventies. Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, Etta James and Clarence Carter were just a few of the rhythm and blues artists who recorded under Hall’s supervision, using the superlative group of session musicians who formed the basis of what became known as the “Muscle Shoals sound”.

2019 - Daryl Dragon
American musician and songwriter Daryl Dragon died from kidney failure aged 76. He was known as ‘Captain’ from the musical duo Captain & Tennille with his then-wife, Toni Tennille. They scored numerous hits on the US singles charts, the most enduring of which included ‘Love Will Keep Us Together’, ‘Do That to Me One More Time’, and ‘Muskrat Love’. They hosted their own television variety series on ABC in 1976–77. Dragon also worked on The Beach Boys' 1972 release Carl and the Passions – ‘So Tough’.

2020 - Lorraine Chandler
American soul singer, songwriter and record producer Lorraine Chandler died age 73. Chandler was one of the first black female songwriters and producers. She worked with Motown Records percussionist Jack Ashford (famous for playing the tambourine on hundreds of Motown recordings). The O’Jays recorded her song 'I'll Never Forget You'.

1931 - Frank Marocco
American piano-accordionist, arranger and composer Frank Marocco. He worked together with Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys, and performed on the 1966 classic album Pet Sounds.

1936 - Roger Miller
Roger Miller singer, guitarist and TV star. (1965 UK No.1 & US No.4 single 'King Of The Road'). He won four Grammy awards in 1965 including Best Country & Western Album. Roger died of lung cancer on October 25th 1991, aged 56. Scottish duo The Proclaimers had the 1990 UK No.9 hit with their version of 'King Of The Road.'

1942 - Chick Churchill
Chick Churchill, keyboards, Ten Years After, 1970 UK No.10 single 'Love Like A Man.'

1954 - Glenn Gones
Glenn Goins, a singer and guitarist for Parliament-Funkadelic in the mid-1970s. He died on 29 July 1978 from Hodgkin's lymphoma, aged 24.

1957 - Ricky Van Shelton
Ricky Van Shelton, US country singer, scored 10 country No.1's, including duets with Dolly Parton and Brenda Lee.

1963 - Keith Gregory
Keith Gregory, bassist from British indie rock group The Wedding Present. During 1992 they released one single every month giving them 12 Top 30 hits, making them the only group to score more than 10 new hits in one year.

1967 - Robert Gregory
Robert Gregory, drummer from British indie band Babybird, who had the 996 UK No.3 single ‘You’re Gorgeous’, and the 1996 UK No. 9 album Ugly Beautiful.

1975 - Douglas Seann Robb
Douglas Seann Robb, Hoobastank, 2004 US No.2 hit 'The Reason'.

1975 - Chris Cheney
Australian rock musician Chris Cheney, the founding mainstay guitarist, songwriter and lead vocalist of the psychobilly band, The Living End. At the APRA Awards of 2009 Cheney won 'Song of the Year' for writing The Living End's track, 'White Noise'.

1993 - Bryson Tiller
Bryson Tiller, American singer, songwriter and rapper. His debut single, 'Don't', peaked at No.13 on the US chart.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History on this first Sunday of the New Year.

Post 1 of 2:

1955 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley appeared in Boonesville, Virginia. The 20 year-old singer was still a regional star, but by the end of 1956 he had become a national sensation, recording two albums, (which included 'Heartbreak Hotel' and 'Blue Suede Shoes'), appeared on national television 11 times, played over 100 concerts and signed a seven year contract with Paramount Pictures.

1957 - Guy Mitchell
Guy Mitchell was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Singing The Blues.' (Tommy Steele and Marty Robbins had also released versions and Steele would replace this version at No.1). Also a US No.1.

1963 - Cliff Richard
Cliff Richard was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his sixth UK No.1 'The Next Time / Bachelor Boy.' Both songs were taken from the film Summer Holiday.

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles were seen for the second time on US TV when a clip from the BBC's 'The Mersey Sound' showing the group playing 'She Loves You' was shown on The Jack Paar Show. The first US airing showing The Beatles was on Nov 18, 1963, on the NBC news program "The Huntley-Brinkley Report" (albeit pre-recorded) of The Beatles in concert.

1967 - Carl Wilson
Having received a US army draft notice, Beach Boy Carl Wilson refused to be sworn in, saying he was a conscientious objector.

1969 - Jimi Hendrix
Appearing live on The Lulu show on UK TV, The Jimi Hendrix Experience were booked to perform two songs, 'Voodoo Child', (which was performed in full), then Hendrix stopped performing his new single 'Hey Joe' after a verse and chorus and instead launched into a version of the Cream song 'Sunshine Of Your Love' as a tribute to the band who had split a few days earlier. Hendrix then proceeded to continuing jamming, running over their allocated time slot on the live show, preventing the show's host Lulu from closing the show properly.

1970 - B J Thomas
B J Thomas started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head.' The song was featured in the film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

1970 - George Harrison
Working on the Get Back sessions at Studio Two of EMI Studios, London, three Beatles (Paul, George, and Ringo) record 16 takes of the George Harrison song 'I Me Mine'. John Lennon was away in Denmark at the time. A decade later it became the title of George Harrison's auto-biography.

1972 - Pink Floyd
Two weeks of rehearsals for Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon tour began at the Bermondsey in London, England, (the venue was owned by The Rolling Stones).

1976 - Bay City Rollers
The Bay City Rollers went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Saturday Night.' At the height of their US success, the Scottish group signed a deal to promote breakfast cereal.

1976 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan's song, 'Hurricane', peaked at No.33 on the Billboard singles chart, helping to cause enough publicity to eventually get former boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter released from jail. The song promoted Carter's innocence and a movie about Carter's life, starring Denzel Washington, was released in 2000.

1980 - Amos Milburn
American rhythm and blues singer Amos Milburn died aged 52. Famous for his drinking songs including, 'Let Me Go Home, Whiskey' and 'One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer.'

1981 - David Bowie
David Bowie made his final appearance as the Elephant Man at The Booth Theatre, Broadway in New York City.

1987 - Aretha Franklin
Aretha Franklin became the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

2000 - Luciano Pavarotti
Luciano Pavarotti agreed to pay the Italian authorities £1.6 million ($2.72 million) after losing an appeal against tax evasion charges. It was reported that the singer was worth £300 million ($510 million) at the time.

2002 - Zak Foley
Zak Foley bassist with British group EMF died aged 31 of a drug overdose. EMF had the 1990 world wide hit single 'Unbelievable' which reached No.3 on the UK singles chart, and was a No.1 hit on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. The name EMF is believed to be an abbreviation of Epsom Mad Funkers.

2002 - Noel Gallagher
Liam and Noel Gallagher topped a poll of celebrities you would least like to live next to, getting 40% of the vote. Readers of Your Home magazine voted the brothers from Oasis as 'Neighbors From Hell'.

2012 - Bob Weston
British musician Bob Weston died age 64. He had a brief role as guitarist and songwriter with Fleetwood Mac in the early 1970s. He also recorded and performed with a number of other musicians, including Graham Bond, Long John Baldry, Murray Head, Sandy Denny and Danny Kirwan.

2014 - Phil Everly
Phil Everly, one half of the Everly Brothers, died of complications from lung disease aged 74, in California. In their heyday between 1957 and 1962, the Everly Brothers had 19 Top 40 hits, including 'Bye Bye Love', 'Wake Up Little Susie' and 'All I Have to Do Is Dream' and influenced acts such as The Beatles and The Beach Boys. The Everly Brothers had 35 Billboard Top-100 singles, 26 in the top 40. They hold the record for the most Top-100 singles by any duo. In the UK, they had 30 chart singles, 29 in the top 40, 13 top 10, and 4 at No. 1 between 1957 and 1984.

2017 - Vinyl Sales
Vinyl sales topped three million last year, the highest UK total in 25 years. More than 3.2 million records were sold in 2016, a rise of 53% on the previous year, according to the BPI, which represents the music industry. David Bowie's Blackstar was the most popular album on vinyl, selling more than double the number of copies of 2015's biggest-seller, Adele's 25.

2020 - Bo Winberg
Swedish singer and guitarist Bo Winberg died. He was a member of The Spotnicks, who together with the Shadows and the Ventures are counted as one of the most famous instrumental bands during the 1960s. The Spotnicks were famous for wearing 'space suit' costumes on stage, and for their innovative electronic guitar sound.

2020 - Rod Stewart
Sir Rod Stewart was charged by police following an alleged altercation at a hotel in Florida on New Year’s Eve. A police document released in the US accused Stewart of punching a security guard after he and his companions, including his son Sean, attempted to get into a private party in a children’s area at the Breakers Palm Beach Hotel.

End of post 1 of 2.
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1916 - Maxene Angelyn
Maxene Andrews from The Andrew Sisters who were an American close harmony singing group of the swing and boogie-woogie eras. Throughout their long career, the sister's sold over 75 million records. Their 1941 hit ‘Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy’ can be considered an early example of rhythm and blues. She died on 21 October 1995.

1926 - George Martin
Sir George Martin, English record producer, arranger, composer, conductor, audio engineer and musician. He worked as EMI records in-house record producer and became the so-called fifth Beatle. Martin produced all but one of The Beatles albums giving him 30 No.1 hit singles in the UK and 23 No.1 hits in the US. He also worked with comedy acts The Goons and Beyond The Fringe. Martin received a Knighthood in 1996. He died on March 8 2016 aged 90.

1943 - Van **ahem** Parks
Van **ahem** Parks, US songwriter, producer. Worked with Brian Wilson on the 'Smile' album, played keyboards on The Byrds 'Eight Miles High', produced Ry Cooder, Randy Newman, Judy Collins.

1945 - Stephen Stills
American singer, songwriter Stephen Stills who was a member of Buffalo Springfield, Crosby Stills Nash & Young and Manassas. With CS&N he had the 1969 UK No.17 single 'Marrakesh Express' and the 1970 US No.1 album Deja Vu plus the 1971 solo UK No.37 single 'Love The One Your With.' Still's first solo album, Stephen Stills, (1970) went gold and is the only album to feature both Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton.

1946 - John Paul Jones
John Paul Jones, bass, keyboards, producer with Led Zeppelin who had the 1969 US No.4 single Whole Lotta Love. The bands fourth album released in 1971 featuring the rock classic Stairway To Heaven, has sold over 37 million copies. As a session player in the 1960s he worked with The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Donovan, Jeff Beck, Hermans Hermits, Lulu, Tom Jones. In recent years Jones has worked with R.E.M. on 1992 Automatic For The People album and is a member of Them Crooked Vultures.

1964 - Raymond McGinley
Raymond McGinley, guitar & vocals, Teenage Fanclub, 1992 UK No.31 single 'What You Do To Me.'

1975 - Thomas Bangaltier
Thomas Bangalter, French electronic musician with Daft Punk, 1997 UK No.5 single 'Around The World', remixed Gabrielle, Chemical Brothers. Scored the 2013 UK No.1 hit 'Get Lucky' featuring Pharrell Williams.

MOHLovesAlaska