cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

Happy Valentines Day to all the love birds here on Pandora, may you have a memorable day with the one you have given your heart to. 

This Day In Music History for this Sunday.

Post 1 of 2:

1955 - Ruby Murray
Ruby Murray was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Softly, Softly'. The Belfast-born recording and TV star of the mid 50s was the first act to score five simultaneous Top 20 hits.

1961 - The Beatles
The Beatles performed at the Casanova Club, Liverpool, and at Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool where they played a special Valentine's Day show. Paul McCartney sang Elvis Presley's 'Wooden Heart', wearing a wooden heart pinned to his coat, covered with satin and embroidered with the names "John", "Paul", "George", and "Pete". The heart was raffled off, and the winner also won a kiss from Paul.

1967 - Otis Redding
Otis Redding recorded 'Respect' at Atlantic Studio, New York City. At first a ballad, 'Respect' was written by Redding for Speedo Sims, who intended to record it with his band, the Singing Demons. Redding rewrote the lyrics and sped up the rhythm. The song became a 1967 hit and signature song for soul singer Aretha Franklin.

1968 - Bob Dylan
Manfred Mann were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of the Bob Dylan song 'The Mighty Quinn' which was also a No.10 hit in the US. Dylan recorded the song in 1967 during the Basement Tapes sessions, but did not release a version for another three years.

1970 - The Who
The Who appeared at Leeds University, England. The show was recorded for the bands forthcoming 'Live At Leeds's album. Since its initial reception, Live at Leeds has been cited by several music critics as the best live rock recording of all time. The University of Leeds refectory, has now been named a national landmark in the UK, commemorated with a blue plaque.

1972 - John Lennon
John Lennon and Yoko Ono started a week long run as co-hosts on 'Mike Douglas' US TV show.

1973 - David Bowie
David Bowie collapsed on stage during a concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.

1977 - Janis Ian
US singer songwriter Janis Ian received 461 Valentine's day cards after indicating in the lyrics of her song 'At Seventeen', she had never received any.

1980 - Lou Reed
Lou Reed married Sylvia Morales at a ceremony in his New York apartment.

1984 - Elton John
Elton John married recording engineer Renate Blauer in Sydney, Australia. Rod Stewart and Olivia Newton-John were among the guests. The couple stayed together for four years, although John later admitted he knew he was homosexual before the marriage.

1986 - Frank Zappa
Frank Zappa appeared on an episode of the television series Miami Vice. Zappa portrayed a crime boss named 'Mr. Frankie.'

1987 - Bon Jovi
Bon Jovi started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Livin' On A Prayer', the group's second US No.1, a No.4 hit in the UK.

1989 - Vincent Crane
English keyboardist Vincent Crane died from a deliberate overdose of Anadin tablets aged 45. He was a member of The Crazy world of Arthur Brown, who had the 1968 UK No.1 and US No.12 single 'Fire' and Atomic Rooster (with drummer Carl Palmer later of Emerson, Lake & Palmer). Atomic Rooster enjoyed success in 1971 with two hit singles, ‘Tomorrow Night’ and ‘Devil's Answer’.

1992 - Meat Loaf
The film Wayne's World, which featured appearances from Meat Loaf and Alice Cooper premiered in the US. The use of Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody' in the film propelled the song to No.2 on the US singles charts nearly 20 years after its first release.

1996 - Prince
T.A.F.K.A.P. married Mayte Garcia in a Minneapolis church, he also composed a special song for his wife, 'Friend, Lover, Sister, Mother, Wife', which she heard for the first time when they had their first wedding dance. Garcia had appeared on the US television program 'That's Incredible!' at the age of 8 as the world's youngest professional belly dancer. She came to the attention of Prince in 1990 when her mother submitted a video cassette of Mayte performing. The couple split in 1998.

1999 - Buddy Knox
American singer and songwriter Buddy Knox died of lung cancer aged 65. Knox had the 1957 US No.1 & UK No.29 single 'Party Doll' which sold over one million copies becoming the first person in the rock 'n' roll era to write and record a No.1 hit. His other hits include 'Rock Your Little Baby To Sleep' and 'Hula Love'.

1999 - Lenny Kravitz
Lenny Kravitz scored his first UK No.1 single with 'Fly Away' a No.12 hit in the US. The track had been used on a TV ad for cars.

2002 - Mick Tucker
English drummer and singer Mick Tucker with glam rock band Sweet died of leukemia aged 54. Sweet had the 1973 UK No.1 single 'Blockbuster', plus 14 other UK Top 40 singles. He was a founding member of the band Sweetshop in January 1968. "Sweetshop" was shortened to "The Sweet" in 1968.

2003 - The Beatles
Stolen reel-to-reel studio recordings by The Beatles were found in Australia. Police recovered the tapes of the bands 1968 The White Album and the Abbey Road album after they were advertised for sale in a Sydney newspaper. Australian police had been tipped off by British detectives from Operation Acetone, an investigation into thefts of original Beatles music from Abbey Road studios in London in the 1960s.

2004 - Dave Holland
Dave Holland, former drummer with Judas Priest was jailed for eight years for indecent assault and the attempted rape of a 17-year old boy. The youth, who had learning difficulties, had been taking drum lessons from Holland.

2005 - Black Sabbath
Kerrang! magazine announced the results of its readers’ poll for the best British rock albums ever. The Top 10 were: No.1, Black Sabbath’s Black Sabbath; No.2, Iron Maiden’s Number Of The Beast. Sex Pistols’ Never Mind The Bollock's, Here's The Sex Pistols; No. 4, Led Zeppelin IV; No.5, Black Sabbath’s Paranoid; No.6, Muse’s Absolution; No.7, The Clash's London Calling; No.8, Queen’s Sheer Heart Attack; No.9, Iron Maiden’s Iron Maiden and No.10, Manic Street Preachers’ The Holy Bible.

2007 - Amy Winehouse
Winners at the 27th annual Brit Awards at London's Earls Court included Muse who won Best British Live Act, British Breakthrough Act went to The Fratelli's. Winner of the Best International Breakthrough Act was Orson. Take That won the first-ever live vote, when they took home the Best British Single for 'Patience.' Arctic Monkeys were named Best British Group, James Morrison was named Best British Male and Amy Winehouse won Best British Female. Justin Timberlake won Best International Male and Nelly Furtado won Best International female. The Killers won Best International Group and Best International Album for Sam's Town and Oasis won the Outstanding Contribution to Music Award.

2008 - Oasis
Oasis singer Liam Gallagher married his long-term partner, the ex-All Saints singer Nicole Appleton at a civil ceremony in London. The venue, Westminster Register Office, was where Gallagher married his first wife, Patsy Kensit, in 1997.

2010 - Doug Fieger
American singer-songwriter-musician Doug Fieger died after a long battle with cancer. He was the rhythm guitarist and lead vocalist of The Knack, and co-wrote 'My Sharona', the biggest hit song of 1979 in the USA, and was Capitol Records' fastest gold status debut single since the Beatles' 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' in 1964. When Fieger was 25, he met 17-year-old Sharona Alperin, who he wrote the song for, as well as later becoming Fieger's girlfriend for the next four years.

2010 - Everybody Hurts
Everybody Hurts, recorded to help Haiti's earthquake victims went to No.1 on the UK singles chart. The REM cover featured Leona Lewis, Kylie Minogue, Robbie Williams and Take That sold over 453,000 copies in its first week.

2016 - Adele
Adele was at No.1 on the US album chart with her third studio album 25. The album was a massive commercial success, debuting at No.1 in more than 25 markets and broke first-week sales records in multiple countries, including the United Kingdom and United States; in the US, the album sold 3.38 million copies in its first week of release, marking the largest single-week sales for an album since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking point-of-sale music purchases in 1991.

End of post 1 of 2. 
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2.

Born On This Day In The Music World.

1937 - Magic Sam
American Chicago blues musician Magic Sam. He had the 1963, his single 'Feelin' Good (We're Gonna Boogie), but his career was cut short when he suddenly died of a heart attack in December 1969. He was 32 years old.

1940 - Bob Kerr
English comic musician Bob Kerr who was a member of the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band. He later joined The New Vaudeville Band, before forming his own Bob Kerr's Whoopee Band.

1943 - Maceo Parker
Maceo Parker, American funk and soul jazz saxophonist, best known for his work with James Brown in the 1960s, as well as Parliament-Funkadelic in the 1970s. He has also worked with De La Soul, Jane's Addiction, Dave Matthews Band and Prince accompanying his band, The New Power Generation.

1943 - Eric Andersen
American folk music singer, songwriter Eric Andersen. He has written songs recorded by Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Judy Collins, Linda Ronstadt, the Grateful Dead and many others. Andersen took part in the Festival Express tour across Canada in 1970 with the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Band, Delaney Bramlett and others.

1945 - Vic Briggs
Vic Briggs, English guitarist with Eric Burdon and The Animals during the 1966-1968 period. The Animals had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'House Of The Rising Sun'. Briggs, a convert to Sikhism, currently plays classical Indian and Hawaiian music.

1946 - Doug Simril
American musician Doug Simril from the Steve Miller Band, who had the 1974 US No.1 & 1990 UK No.1 single 'The Joker'. He also worked with Boz Scaggs.

1946 - Gregory Hines
Gregory Hines, American dancer, actor, choreographer and singer. He was considered one of the most celebrated tap dancers of all time. He sang a duet with Luther Vandross 'There's Nothing Better Than Love', which reached No. 1 on the Billboard R&B charts. Hines died of liver cancer on 9 August 2003.

1947 - Tim Buckley
American singer, songwriter Tim Buckley, who recorded the 1972 album Greetings From LA. His singer, songwriter son Jeff Buckley drowned while swimming in 1997. Tim himself died on June 29th 1975 of a heroin and morphine overdose.

1950 - Roger Fisher
Roger Fisher, from American rock band Heart who scored the 1987 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Alone'. Heart has sold over 35 million records worldwide.

1951 - Sylvain Sylvain
American rock guitarist Sylvain Sylvain of the New York Dolls. Along with the Velvet Underground and the Stooges, they were one of the first bands of the early punk rock scenes. He died from cancer on January 13, 2021, age 69.

1951 - Kenny Hyslop
Scottish drummer Kenny Hyslop. As a member of Slik they had the 1976 UK No.1 single 'Forever And Ever'. Also a member of Skids who had the 1979 UK No.10 single 'Into The Valley' and Simple Minds, who had the 1985 US No.1 single 'Don't You, Forget About Me', and the 1989 UK No.1 single 'Belfast Child'.

1964 - Rob "The Bass Thing"
Rob "The Bass Thing" Jones from British alternative rock band The Wonder Stuff who had the 1991 UK No.1 single with their version of the Tommy Roe hit 'Dizzy' (with Vic Reeves). He died in New York on 31 July 1993, aged 29 due to heart problems caused by drug related causes.

1972 - Rob Thomas
American singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Rob Thomas with Matchbox Twenty who had the 2000 US No.1 single 'Bent' and his 'Lonely No More' released in 2005 became his biggest selling solo chart success. Thomas sang on the 1999 US No.1 single 'Smooth' by Santana and also had the 2005 US No.1 solo album Something To Be. Willie Nelson, Mick Jagger, Marc Anthony, Travis Tritt and Daughtry have all covered his songs.

1978 - Dwele
American soul singer, songwriter and record producer, Dwele, who featured on Kanye West's fifth studio album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy on the hit song 'Power'.

1994 - Becky Hill
Becky Hill, English singer and songwriter. She rose to prominence after appearing on the first series of The Voice UK. In 2014 she became the first The Voice UK contestant to score a UK number one when the song, ‘Gecko (Overdrive)’ with Oliver Heldens topped the UK Singles Chart.

Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Monday. Hope you had a great Valentines Day.

Post 1 of 2:

1962 - Ray Charles
Ray Charles recorded 'I Can't Stop Loving You' at United Studios in Hollywood, California. The tune would go on to top both the US and UK charts and would be included on the LP 'Modern Sounds In Country / Western Music', which would lead the Billboard album chart for 14 weeks.

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles scored their first US No.1 album with Meet The Beatles! The album stayed at No.1 for eleven weeks. The album sold over four million copies in the US by December 31, 1964.

1965 - Nat King Cole
American singer and pianist Nat King Cole died of lung cancer. First hit was the 1943 'Straighten Up and Fly Right', had the 1955 US No.2 single 'A Blossom Fell' and 1957 UK No.2 single 'When I Fall In Love' plus over 20 other US & UK Top 40 singles. He is the father of singer Natalie Cole. In 1956 he became the first black American to host a television variety show.

1968 - Ringo Starr
John and Cynthia John Lennon, along with George and Patti Harrison, flew to India to study meditation with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Paul and Ringo joined them a few days later, but Starr would become bored and leave on March 1st, comparing the experience to be like a 'Butlins holiday camp.' Much of the Beatles' The White Album was written during their stay.

1968 - Little Walter
American blues musician Little Walter (Marion Walter Jacobs) died in his sleep aged 37 from injuries incurred in a fight while taking a break from a performance at a nightclub in Chicago. Joining Muddy Waters' band in 1948, he was the first harmonica player to amplify his harp (on the 1951 ‘She Moves Me’) giving it a distorted echoing sound.

1969 - Sly and the Family Stone
Sly and the Family Stone started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Everyday People', their first No.1.

1975 - Linda Ronstadt
Linda Ronstadt went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You're No Good', the singers only solo chart topper out of 12 other top 40 hits. Also today Ronstadt went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Heart Like A Wheel.'

1977 - Glen Matlock
Glen Matlock was fired as bass player from the Sex Pistols, being replaced by Sid Vicious. Matlock rejoined in the 90s when the Pistol's reformed.

1979 - Saturday Night Fever
At the 21st Grammy Awards, the 'Saturday Night Fever' soundtrack won Album of the Year and The Bee Gees were named Best Pop Group and Best Arrangement for Voices for 'Staying Alive'. Billy Joel's 'Just the Way You Are' won Record and Song of the Year. Donna Summer's 'Last Dance' won two Grammys: Best Female R&B Vocal and Best R&B Song.

1981 - Mike Bloomfield
American guitarist Mike Bloomfield was found dead in his car in San Francisco from an accidental heroin overdose aged 37. He was a member of the Paul Butterfield band and Electric Flag and had played on Bob Dylan's album Highway 61 Revisited. Bloomfield's Telecaster guitar licks were featured on Dylan's ‘Like a Rolling Stone’, and he appeared onstage with Dylan at the Newport Folk Festival, where Dylan used Bloomfield and the Butterfield Band which marked Dylan's first use of an electric band in a live performance.

1988 - Jo Elliot
After singer Jo Elliot had referred to El Paso as 'the place with all those greasy Mexicans', Def Leppard were forced to cancel a concert in El Paso, after they received threats that the gig would be disrupted.

1991 - Rod Stewart
Kelly Emberg the ex-girlfriend of Rod Stewart filed a $25 million (£14.7 million) palimony suit in Los Angeles. The couple lived together from 1985 to 1990. Stewart later said: "Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house."

1997 - U2
U2 went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Discotheque', the bands third UK No.1 single. The entire track was leaked onto the internet in December 1996, forcing U2 to move the release date.

2000 - Sting
Sting pulled-out of a concert in Vienna in protest at the inclusion of Jorg Haider's far right freedom party in Austria's new government. Lou Reed had also cancelled shows in the country.

2006 - Paul Weller
Winners at this year's Brit Awards included, James Blunt who won British male solo artist, British female solo artist went to KT Tunstall. Coldplay won Best British album for X&Y and Best British single for 'Speed of Sound.' Kaiser Chiefs won Best British group and Best British Live Act, British urban act went to Lemar, British breakthrough act was Arctic Monkeys, International breakthrough act was won by Jack Johnson. International male solo artist was Kanye West with Madonna winning International female solo artist. Green Day won International group and Best International album with American Idiot and Outstanding contribution to music went to Paul Weller.

2008 - The Beatles
A flat once rented by The Beatles in London went up for sale for £1.75m. The band shared the three-bedroom top floor property in Green Street, Mayfair in the autumn of 1963. A publicity photo of the Fab Four peering over a banister, used as the cover for the December 1963 edition of The Beatles Book, was taken at the top of the property's communal stairwell.

2013 - Chubby Checker
Chubby Checker launched a $500,000 lawsuit against Hewlett-Packard for including an app on its phones and tablets that was not only named after the 71-year-old musician, but measured a man's manhood based on his shoe size.

2015 - Mark Ronson
Mark Ronson's 'Uptown Funk' reached the one million sales mark, 10 weeks after it was first released becoming the 158th track to reach the million mark in British charts history. The song, from the soundtrack to the Fifty Shades Of Grey film also became the most-streamed track ever in the UK.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1941 - Brian Holland
Brian Holland, Holland/Dozier/Holland, producer and songwriter who wrote many hits for Motown artists such as The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Four Tops, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, Freda Payne and Chairmen Of The Board.

1942 - Glyn Johns
English musician, recording engineer and record producer Glyn Johns who worked with many artists including Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones, The Who The Beatles, ('Let It Be' sessions), Eagles, the Faces and Led Zeppelin.

1944 - Denny Zager
Denny Zager, singer with Zager and Evans who had the 1969 US & UK No.1 single 'In The Year 2525'. Despite the record's huge success, follow-up singles such as 'Mr. Turnkey' went largely unnoticed. Zager now builds custom guitars at Zager Guitars, which is based in Lincoln, Nebraska.

1944 - Mick Avory
Mick Avory, drummer with The Kinks who had the 1964 UK No.1 & US No.7 'You Really Got Me', and the 1967 UK No.2 single 'Waterloo Sunset' plus 19 other UK Top 40 singles. He is the longest-serving member of the band, apart from the Davies brothers.

1945 - John Helliwell
English musician John Helliwell, saxophonist with Supertramp, who had the 1979 UK No.7 & US No.6 single 'The Logical Song'. Helliwell also played on Pink Floyd's album A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

1947 - David Brown
American bassist David Brown who was the primary bass player for Santana from 1966 until 1971, then again from 1974 until 1976. Brown played in Santana at Woodstock and at Altamont in 1969 and on the band's first three studio albums. Brown died on September 4, 2000, due to liver and kidney failure.

1950 - Billy Ficca
Billy Ficca, American drummer who put together The Neon Boys with Richard Hell, was a founding member of Television and the experimental post-punk band The Waitresses best known for the 1982 hit 'Christmas Wrapping'.

1952 - Melissa Manchester
Melissa Manchester, US singer, songwriter who had the 1975 US No.6 single 'Midnight Blue'.

1955 - Hugh Padgham
English record producer and audio engineer Hugh Padgham. His co-productions include hits by Phil Collins, XTC, Genesis, The Human League, Sting, and The Police. He has won four Grammy Awards, for Producer of the Year and Album of the Year for 1985, Record of the Year for 1990, and Engineer of the Year for 1993. A 1992 poll in Mix magazine voted him one of the world's ‘Top Ten Most Influential Producers’.

1959 - Ali Campbell
Ali Campbell, singer with UB40, who had the 1983 UK No.1 & 1988 US No.1 single 'Red Red Wine' and over 30 other top 40 hits. Had the solo 1995 UK No.5 single 'That Look In Your Eye'.

1960 - Mikey Craig
Mikey Craig, bassist with Culture Club, who had the 1983 UK No.1 and 1984 US No.12 single 'Karma Chameleon' plus 7 other UK Top 10 singles'.

1974 - Lordi
Tomi Petteri Putaansuu, Mr. Lordi, lead vocalist Lordi. Became Finland's first ever Eurovision Song Contest winners after their song 'Hard Rock Hallelujah' won the contest held in Athens in 2006.

1974 - Stuart Richardson
Stuart Richardson, bassist, with Lostprophets, who had the 2004 UK No.8 single 'Last Train Home', and the 2006 UK No.1 album 'Liberation Transmission'.

1976 - Ronnie Vannucci Jr
Ronnie Vannucci Jr, drummer from The Killers, who scored the 2005 UK No.1 with their debut album Hot Fuss. Their 2017 album Wonderful Wonderful peaked at No.1 on the US & UK chart. Vannucci is also involved in a side project called Big Talk.

1976 - Brandon Boyd
Brandon Boyd, from American rock band Incubus, who had the 2001 US No.9 & UK No.40 single, 'Drive', and the 2004 US No.2 and UK No.6 album A Crow Left of the Murder’, and the 2006 US No.1 album Light Grenades. Worldwide, Incubus has sold over 23 million albums.

1981 - Olivia
Olivia Theresa Longott, US R&B singer, and member of G-Unit, who had the 2005 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Candy Shop' with 50 Cent.

1995 - Megan Thee Stallion
American rapper, singer, and songwriter Megan Thee Stallion. Her single ‘Savage (Remix)’ featuring Beyoncé, and she featured on Cardi B's single ‘WAP’, both released in 2020, reached No.1 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Tuesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1957 - Pete Murray
Disc jockey Pete Murray began hosting BBC television's first Rock 'n' Roll music program The Six-Five Special, named for the time the show began, five minutes after six. The show was given air-time immediately after the abolition of what was called the Toddlers' Truce, which had seen television stop between 6 and 7pm so children could be put to bed.

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles made their second live appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, exactly one week after the first. Before an audience of 3,500 at the Deauville Hotel in Miami Beach, Florida, The Beatles performed ‘She Loves You’, ‘This Boy’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘From Me to You’, and ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’.

1967 - Petula Clark
Petula Clark was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the Charlie Chaplin penned 'This Is My Song', the singers second and last UK No.1.

1972 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin made their Australian live debut when they kicked off a six-date tour at the Subiaco Oval, Perth. Police battled with over 500 fans who rammed locked gates trying to get into the concert. Over 4,000 fans stood outside the venue without tickets and local residents jammed police phone lines to complain about the noise.

1974 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan started a four week run at No.1 on the US album chart with Planet Waves, his first US No.1. The album was originally set to be titled Ceremonies Of The Horsemen, a reference to the song 'Love Minus Zero / No Limit', from the 1965 album 'Bringing It All Back Home'. When Dylan decided to change the title at the last minute, the release was delayed for two weeks.

1974 - Emerson Lake and Palmer
During a tour of America the members of Emerson, Lake & Palmer were arrested in Salt Lake City after swimming naked in the hotel pool. They were each fined $75 (£44).

1974 - David Bowie
Winners in the UK music weekly Disc Readers Awards Poll; Top UK group went to Slade, Top musician, Roy Wood, David Bowie won UK and World male singer, Top single with 'Jean Genie' and album with 'Aladdin Sane', Top female singer was Lynsey De Paul and Brightest hope was won by David Essex.

1975 - Cher
Cher started her own weekly hour of a music and comedy show on CBS-TV. The singer had co-presented The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour with her former husband. Cher's new show featured a female guest each week.

1982 - The Jam
The Jam were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'A Town Called Malice', & 'Precious', their third No.1 spent three weeks at the top of the chart.

1985 - Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Born In The USA', his first UK No.1 album. The singers seventh studio album, was the best-selling album of 1985 in the United States (and also Springsteen's most successful album ever). The album produced a record-tying string of seven Top 10 singles.

1991 - The Simpsons
The Simpsons were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Do The Bartman'. The song was written by Michael Jackson and Bryan Lorenand, The Simpsons became the first cartoon characters to make No.1 since the Archies hit 'Sugar Sugar' in 1969. Jackson was a massive fan of The Simpsons and had called the producers one night offering to write Bart a number one single and do a guest spot on the show.

1999 - Robbie Williams
Robbie Williams won three awards at this year's Brit's. The singer won Best British solo artist, Best Single for 'Angels' and Best Video for 'Millennium.' Manic Street Preachers won Best British Group, Natalie Imbruglia won Best International Female artist and Best Newcomer, Best International Group went to The Corrs.

2002 - George Michael
Thieves broke into George Michael's London home and stole over £100,000 ($170,000) worth of paintings, jewelry and designer clothes and drove off in his £80,000 ($136,000) Aston Martin DB7. They also caused £200,000 ($340,000) worth of damage to his home.

2004 - Doris Troy
US singer Doris Troy died. She had been a session singer with Dionne Warwick, sang on Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon and released an album on The Beatles Apple label. She had also had a 1964 UK No.37 single with 'Whatcha Gonna Do About It' and a 1963 US No. 10 hit 'Just One Look'. She sang back-up for many acts including The Rolling Stones, (‘You Can't Always Get What You Want’), Carly Simon's ('You're So Vain'), George Harrison, (‘My Sweet Lord’).

2005 - Kid Rock
Kid Rock was arrested for allegedly punching a DJ at a strip club in Nashville, Tennessee. Police were called to the incident but Rock escaped from the club. Shortly after, he was pulled over by an officer who got an autograph but did not do a breath test despite smelling alcohol. (The officer has since been fired). The star was eventually arrested a few hours later, taken to the night court and released on $3,000 (£1,600) bail.

2005 - Cat Stevens
Yusuf Islam, the former Cat Stevens was awarded substantial damages from The Sunday Times and The Sun, after they had printed articles alleging he was involved in terrorism. Both newspapers apologized to the 56 year old musician for the "false and highly defamatory allegations." The papers also paid his legal bills and pledged not to repeat the allegations. The money awarded was given to Tsunami relief projects.

2009 - Chris Brown
Chris Brown talked about his recent arrest for the first time. The R&B singer was being investigated by police over claims he attacked a woman. In a statement Chris Brown said "I am seeking the counselling of my pastor, my mother and other loved ones and I am committed, with God's help, to emerging a better person." There had been speculation that his girlfriend Rihanna was the woman in the attack and had been seen with bruises on her face.

2015 - Lesley Gore
American singer, songwriter, actress and activist, Lesley Gore, died of lung cancer aged 68. She is best known for the 1963 US No.1 & UK No.9 single 'It's My Party' which was produced by Quincy Jones. Gore composed songs for the soundtrack of the 1980 film Fame, for which she received an Academy Award nomination for ‘Out Here on My Own’, written with her brother Michael.

End of post 1 of 2.

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1918 - Patty Andrews
Patty Andrews from The Andrew Sisters who were an American close harmony singing group of the swing and boogie-woogie eras. Throughout their long career, the sisters sold over 75 million records. Their 1941 hit ‘Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy’ can be considered an early example of rhythm and blues. She died of natural causes on 30 January 2013 at the age of 94.

1932 - Otis Blackwell
Otis Blackwell, American songwriter and producer, wrote ‘All Shook Up’, ‘Return To Sender’, ‘Don't Be Cruel’, ‘Great Balls Of Fire’ and ‘Fever.’ Blackwell died from a heart attack on May 6th 2002.

1935 - Sonny Bono
American singer-songwriter, producer, actor, and politician Sonny Bono, who had the 1965 UK & US No.1 single 'I Got You Babe', as Sonny & Cher. Bono began his music career as a songwriter at Specialty Records, where his song 'Things You Do to Me' was recorded by Sam Cooke, and went on to work for record producer Phil Spector in the early 1960s. He was mayor of Palm Springs, California, from 1988 to 1992, and the Republican congressman for California's 44th district, serving from 1995 until his death in 1998. He was killed on 5 January 1998, aged 62, in a skiing accident.

1939 - Harold Kalin
American singers Harold and Herbie Kalin, The Kalin Twins who had the 1958 UK No.1 & US No.5 single 'When.' The brothers were the first twins to score a No.1 record followed years later by The Proclaimers.

1949 - Lynn Paul
Lynn Paul, singer with The New Seekers who had the 1972 UK No.1 single 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing'.

1953 - John Bradbury
John Bradbury, best known for having been the drummer in the English ska group The Specials, who co-wrote 'The Selector', a joint 'A' side with 'Gangsters' and who had the 1981 UK No.1 single 'Ghost Town'. Bradbury died aged 62 on 28 Dec 2015.

1956 - James Ingram
James Ingram, American singer, who had the 1987 UK No.8 single with Linda Ronstadt, 'Somewhere Out There', and the 1990 US No.1 single 'I Don't Have The Heart'. Ingram also co-wrote 'P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)' the sixth single from Michael Jackson's album, Thriller and co-wrote the 1983 hit duet with Michael McDonald 'Yah Mo B There.' Ingram died on 29 January 2019 after a long battle with brain cancer age 66.

1959 - Ice-T
Ice-T, (Tracy Morrow), male rapper who had the 1993 UK No.21 single 'That's How I'm Livin'.

1960 - Pete Willis
British musician Pete Willis, best known as a founding member of Def Leppard. He co-wrote many tracks and played guitar on the band's first three albums: On Through the Night, High 'n' Dry, and Pyromania, which was being recorded at the time of his departure.

1961 - Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor, guitarist with Duran Duran who had the 1983 UK No.1 single 'Is There Something I Should Know' plus 25 other UK Top 40 singles including the 1984 US No.1 single 'The Reflex'. Also a member of The Power Station who had the 1985 UK No.14 single 'Some Like It Hot'.

1962 - Tony Kylie
Tony Kylie, from British new wave group The Blow Monkeys who had the 1986 hit 'Digging Your Scene' and the 1987 UK No.5 single 'It Doesn't Have To Be This Way'.

1965 - Dave Lombardo
Dave Lombardo, drummer with American thrash metal band Slayer who released the 1986 album 'Reign in Blood'.

1967 - Damon Reece
Damon Reece, drummer from English space rock band Spiritualized. They released the critically acclaimed 1997 Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, which NME magazine named as their Album of the Year.

1990 - The Weeknd
Canadian singer, songwriter and record producer Abel Makkonen Tesfaye, known by his stage name The Weeknd who had the 2015 US No.1 hits 'The Hills' and 'Can't Feel My Face'.

1994 - Ava Max
American singer and songwriter Ava Max. Her breakthrough single 'Sweet but Psycho' released in August 2018 was a No. 1 hit in 22 countries.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Wednesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1960 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley won his first Gold record for his second studio album 'Elvis'. It spent four weeks at No.1 on the Billboard Top Pop Albums chart, making Presley the first recording artist to have both albums go straight to No.1 in the same year.

1966 - Nancy Sinatra
Nancy Sinatra was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'These Boots Are Made For Walking', Frank's eldest daughters first No.1. Written by Lee Hazelwood Sinatra's recording of the song was made with the help of Los Angeles session musicians known as the Wrecking Crew.

1967 - The Beatles
The Beatles started recording a new John Lennon song 'Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite'. at Abbey Road studios, London. John's lyrics for the song came almost entirely from an antique poster advertising a circus performance scheduled to take place in Rochdale, Lancashire, in February 1843. John had purchased the poster in Sevenoaks on January 31 while The Beatles were on location for the filming of the 'Strawberry Fields Forever' promotional film.

1969 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash recorded 'Girl From The North Country' together in Nashville at CBS Studios. The track appeared on Dylan's 'Nashville Skyline' album.

1971 - James Taylor
James Taylor made his TV debut on The Johnny Cash Show. Other guests included Neil Young, Linda Ronstadt and Tony Joe White.

1975 - AC/DC
AC/DC released their debut album 'High Voltage'. The album featured a cover of 'Baby, Please Don't Go' a blues song first recorded by Big Joe Williams and 'She's Got Balls' which was written about singer Bon Scott's ex-wife Irene - the first AC/DC song for which he wrote lyrics.

1978 - Kate Bush
Kate Bush released her debut studio album The Kick Inside which contained her UK number one hit, 'Wuthering Heights', (marking the first time a female singer-songwriter topped the charts with a self-penned song). Bush was just 19 years old and had written some of the songs when she was only 13.

1979 - Blondie
Blondie scored their first UK No.1 album when 'Parallel Lines' started a four-week run at the top of the charts, featuring the singles 'Heart Of Glass', 'Hanging On The Telephone' and 'Sunday Girl.'

1979 - Clash
The Clash opened the US leg of their 'Pearl Harbor '79', North American tour at New York's Palladium.

1989 - David Coverdale
David Coverdale married actress Tawny Kitaen (known for her provocative appearances in Whitesnake's music videos 'Here I Go Again, 'Is This Love' and 'Still of the Night'). The couple divorced in 1991.

1996 - Bruce Springsteen
A Platinum American Express card once belonging to Bruce Springsteen was sold for $4,500 (£2,650) at a New York memorabilia sale. The singer had given the expired card to a waiter in a LA restaurant by mistake and let them keep it as a souvenir.

2000 - John Lennon
John Lennon's Steinway piano, on which he composed 'Imagine', went on display at the Beatles Story Museum in Liverpool, England. The piano was set to be auctioned on the Internet later in the year and was expected to fetch more than £1 million ($1.7 million).

2003 - NSYNC
The man behind the Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC was being investigated over complaints that aspiring stars paid $1,500 (£882) to feature on his website. Lou Pearlman was accused by Florida authorities of getting young actors and models to pay upfront to appear on his Trans Continental company's website by saying he would also help them to find work.

2004 - Phil Spector
Prosecutors in the murder case of producer Phil Spector demanded that a fingernail overlooked by police investigating Lana Clarkson's shooting should be put forward as evidence. They claimed the fingernail, blackened with gunpowder, could indicate that the 40-year old actress killed herself at Spector's Los Angeles mansion. Spector, had denied murdering Clarkson.

2005 - Jimi Hendrix
A 1965 Fender Stratocaster guitar belonging to Jimi Hendrix sold for £100,000 at an auction in London. Other Hendrix items sold included a poem written two weeks after his appearance at the Monterey Pop Festival which went for £10,000 and the first Jimi Hendrix Experience's single 'Hey Joe', signed by all the band sold for £2,000.

2005 - Franz Ferdinand
Scottish rockers Franz Ferdinand made music history after taking two top prizes at the NME Awards. The band, who won best album and best single, became the first act ever to win the Mercury Music Prize, Brit Awards and NME awards in the same year.

2008 - Duffy
British soul singer Duffy started a five week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Mercy', from the Welsh singers debut album 'Rockferry'. 'Mercy' was the UK'S best selling single of 2008, and won Duffy a Grammy for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

2014 - Bob Casale
American musician and sound engineer Bob Casale, best known as a guitarist and keyboardist in the new wave band Devo died of heart failure in Los Angeles, California. He engineered the first solo album for Police guitarist, Andy Summers.

2020 - Henry Gray
American blues piano player and singer Henry Gray died age 95. He performed with many artists, including Robert Lockwood Jr., Billy Boy Arnold, Morris Pejoe, The Rolling Stones, Muddy Waters, and Howlin' Wolf. He released over 60 albums including recordings for Chess Records.

End of post 1 of 2:

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1905 - Orville Jones
American singer and bassist Orville ‘Hoppy’ Jones, who with the Ink Spots, had the 1955 UK No.10 single ‘Melody Of Love’. He Died 18th October 1944.

1933 - Bobby Lewis
American rock and roll and rhythm and blues singer Bobby Lewis, known for his 1961 US No.1 single 'Tossin' and Turnin'. Lewis died on 28 April 2020, aged 95, after contracting pneumonia.

1936 - John Leyton
English actor and singer John Leyton, who had the 1961 UK No.1 single 'Johnny Remember Me', despite being banned by the BBC for its death references. His follow-up single, 'Wild Wind, reached No.2 in the charts. His films include an appearance in the 1963 American epic war film The Great Escape starring Steve McQueen and James Garner.

1941 - Gene Pitney
Gene Pitney, singer, who had the 1962 US No.4 single 'Only Love Can Break A Heart'. Also scored the 1967 solo UK No.5 & 1989 UK No.1 single with Marc Almond 'Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart', plus over 15 other US & UK Top 40 hits. Pitney was found dead aged 65 in his bed in a Cardiff hotel on 5th April 2006. The American singer was on a UK tour and had shown no signs of illness.

1950 - Rickey Medlocke
Rickey Medlocke, American musician best known as the frontman/guitarist for the southern rock band Blackfoot and a member of Lynyrd Skynyrd. During his first stint with Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1971-1972 he played drums and sang lead on a few songs that would initially be released on 1978's 'First and Last'. Medlocke would rejoin Blackfoot in 1972 and later returned to Lynyrd Skynyrd in 1996 as a guitarist.

1972 - Taylor Hawkins
Taylor Hawkins, American drummer, who worked with Alanis Morissette as her touring drummer on her Jagged Little Pill tour. He joined Foo Fighters in 1997, and has a side project, Taylor Hawkins and the Coattail Riders, in which he plays drums and sings. He was voted Best Rock Drummer in 2005 by the UK drumming magazine Rhythm. At Live Earth in 2007, Hawkins was part of SOS All-stars with Roger Taylor of Queen and Chad Smith of Red Hot Chili Peppers.

1972 - Billie Joe Armstrong
Billie Joe Armstrong, American singer, songwriter, musician, guitarist, multi-instrumentalist, and actor with Green Day who had the 1995 UK No.7 single with 'Basket Case'. Their 1994 album Dookie has sold over 10 million copies and they were the Top Modern Rock Act in the US in 1995. Armstrong is also a member of the punk rock band Pinhead Gunpowder and provides lead vocals for Green Day's side projects Foxboro Hot Tubs and The Network.

1976 - Svein Berge
Svein Berge, Norwegian electronic musician who makes up half of the duo Röyksopp. Berge has done several remixes for other artists, amongst them artists like Coldplay, Lady Gaga, Depeche Mode and Beck.

1981 - John Hassall
John Hassall, bassist with English group The Libertines who had the 2004 UK No.1 album The Libertines.

1981 - Paris Hilton
Paris Hilton, American socialite, singer, actress and fashion model. Heiress to a share of the Hilton Hotel fortune, featured in the reality TV series, The Simple Life. Had the UK No.5 and US No.18 single ‘Stars Are Blind’, from her debut album ‘Paris’ released in 2006.

1988 - Arin Ilejay
Arin Ilejay, American drummer of Avenged Sevenfold, who had the 2010 US No.1 album Nightmare and the 2013 US No.1 album Hail to the King.

1991 - Ed Sheeran
Ed Sheeran, British singer, songwriter. In 2012, he won two BRIT Awards for Best British Male Solo Artist, and British Breakthrough of the Year, while 'The A Team' also won the Ivor Novello Award for Best Song Musically and Lyrically. Also won Best Song of the Year at the 2016 Grammys for 'Thinking Out Loud'.

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing, @MOHLovesAlaska

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

Welcome to "This Day In Music History" for this Thursday. To all Texans I am praying for you, things will improve, your relief is coming. Take care and do all you can to stay safe.

Post 1 of 2:

1959 - Ray Charles
Ray Charles recorded 'What'd I Say', in New York City. The song had evolved in concert as a call-and-response between Charles and his female back-up singers. It became Charles' biggest hit to date, reaching No.1 on the R&B and No.6 on the pop charts.

1962 - Ed Sullivan
On weekend leave from marine training, The Everly Brothers appeared on the US Ed Sullivan show, in full uniform and with regulation cropped hair, singing their new single, 'Crying In The Rain'.

1965 - The Kinks
The Kinks were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Tired Of Waiting For You', the group's second UK No.1. According to Ray Davies, the music for 'Tired of Waiting for You' was written on the train to the recording studio and the words were written at a coffee shop during a break in the session.

1965 - The Beatles
Working at Abbey Road studios in London, The Beatles recorded two new songs: John Lennon's 'You've Got to Hide Your Love Away' and a new Paul McCartney song 'Tell Me What You See'.

1966 - Brian Wilson
Beach Boy Brian Wilson recorded the future classic song 'Good Vibrations', which went on to become the band's third US number-one hit. As a child, his mother told him that dogs could pick up "vibrations" from people, so that the dog would bark at "bad vibrations" Wilson turned this into the general idea for the song.

1969 - Lulu
Three thousand uninvited guests showed up to see Lulu and The Bee Gees Maurice Gibb get married at St. James' Church, Gerrard's Cross, England. Brother Barry was the best man.

1972 - Led Zeppelin
On their first Australian tour, Led Zeppelin rescheduled to the following night their concert at the Memorial Drive, Adelaide, after heavy rain left the stage and equipment unsafe. Zeppelin had brought to Adelaide the largest PA system seen in Australia to produce what was expected to be the loudest rock show ever heard.

1990 - Freddie Mercury
Freddie Mercury made his final public appearance on stage when he joined the rest of Queen to collect the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music, held at the Dominion Theatre, London, England.

1995 - Bob Stinson
American guitarist Bob Stinson from The Replacements died from a drug overdose, his body was found in his Uptown, Minneapolis apartment. Founding member of The Replacements, was also a member of Static Taxi.

1998 - Noel Gallagher
Oasis' Noel Gallagher's Epiphone Supernova guitar raised £4,600 ($7,820) in aid of Children In Need at a Bonhams auction held in London, England.

2000 - John Lennon
An American court ordered the release of FBI files relating to John Lennon's interests and activities including his support for the Irish Republican cause and the Workers Revolutionary Party. The British Government told the US that it wanted the files to remain secret. MI5 also had files on Lennon, which they had passed on the FBI during the 70s.

2004 - Dido
Dido entered a Top 10 of the music world's biggest earners after making £15.8 million ($26.9 million) in 2003. The singer's second album Life For Rent was the previous years biggest selling UK album. The Rolling Stones topped the Heat magazine rich list having earned £55.3 million ($94 million) in 2003.

2004 - Marilyn Manson
A court case accusing Marilyn Manson of sexual assault was dismissed after the two sides reached a settlement. Security guard Joshua Keasler had sued Manson after the star allegedly put his legs around Keasler's neck and gyrated against him on stage at a gig in Detroit, Michigan in 2001. Manson was ordered to pay $4,000 (£2,091) in fines and costs in the criminal proceedings.

2005 - Britney Spears
Britney Spears attacked a US magazine after it published photographs of her honeymoon without permission. Weekly publication Us printed five pages of pictures of Spears and husband Kevin Federline on holiday in Fiji. A statement from US said: "Britney should start her own magazine if she'd like to dictate her own coverage."

2008 - Carpenters
Carpenters fans were objecting to plans to have pop duo's former family home in Downey, south of Los Angeles knocked down. The current owners of the house, said they objected to fans looking in the windows and leaving floral tributes. The five-bedroom house was immortalized when it featured on the cover of The Carpenters' 1973 hit album Now & Then.

2009 - Duffy
Welsh songstress Duffy won three trophies at this years Brit awards, taking home Best British Female Solo Artist, British Breakthrough Act and British Album of the Year for her debut Rockferry. Kings of Leon won International Group and International Album for Only By The Night, International Male and Female Solo Artists were Kanye West and Katy Perry. British Male Solo Artist went to Paul Weller, Iron Maiden won British Live Act and Elbow won Best British Group. Outstanding Contribution to Music went to the Pet Shop Boys.

2012 - Whitney
Whitney Houston had an invitation-only memorial at the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, New Jersey. Among those who performed at the funeral were Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys and R. Kelly. Kevin Costner read a moving and personal Eulogy.

2013 - Otis Damon Harris
African-American soul and R&B singer Otis Damon Harris, who was a member of The Temptations, died at the age of 62 after a 14-year battle with prostate cancer. Harris was a member of The Temptations from 1971 to 1975, joining shortly after the departure of Eddie Kendricks.

2015 - Willie C. Jackson
American singer Willie C. Jackson from Fifties doo-wop group The Spaniels died aged 79. Their 1954 hit 'Goodnite, Sweetheart, Goodnite' was featured in such films as Three Men and a Baby and American Graffiti. The Spaniels became one of the first artists to sign with Vee-Jay Records, the first large, independent Afro-American owned record label.

End of post 1 of 2. 
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1933 - Yoko Ono
Yoko Ono, Japanese artist, singer, poet, author and peace activist and wife of John Lennon. Ono moved to New York City from Tokyo aged 14 and first met John Lennon in London in 1966, the couple married in 1969.

1934 - Skip Battin
American singer, songwriter, bassist, Skip Battin, from The Byrds, who had the 1965 US & UK No.1 single 'Mr Tambourine Man'. In 1959-60 he sang in a duo, Skip & Flip, with Gary Paxton when they had two US hits that each went to No.11, Paxton later formed the Hollywood Argyles, who had the No.1 hit, 'Alley Oop'. Battin was in the Byrds from 1970 to 1973. He was also a member of New Riders Of The Purple Sage and The Flying Burrito Brothers. Battin died on 6 July 2003.

1939 - Bobby Hart
American singer, songwriter Bobby Hart, who had the 1968 US No 8 single with Tommy Boyce, 'I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight'. He also wrote 'Last Train To Clarksville', and 'I'm Not Your Stepping Stone' covered by The Monkees.

1941 - Herman Santiago
Herman Santiago, singer with American-Puerto Rican doo wop group Frankie Lymon And The Teenagers, who had the 1956 UK No.1 & US No.6 single 'Why Do Fools Fall In Love'. They are also noted for being rock's first all-teenaged act.

1945 - Jimmy Jewell
British musician Jimmy Jewell, from Gallagher & Lyle who had the 1976 UK No.6 single 'I Wanna Stay With You'.

1947 - Dennis DeYoung
American singer, songwriter Dennis DeYoung, from Styx who had the 1979 US No.1 & 1980 UK No.6 single 'Babe'. He was the band's most successful writer, penning 7 of the band's 8 Billboard top 10 singles as well as a solo top 10 single.

1948 - Keith Knudsen
American rock drummer, vocalist, and songwriter Keith Knudsen best known as a drummer and vocalist for The Doobie Brothers. Knudsen died of pneumonia on 8 February 2005 in California, at the age of 56.

1952 - Judy Newton
Juice Newton American pop and country singer, songwriter, and musician who had the 1981 US No.2 single, 'Queen Of Hearts'. Newton has received five Grammy Award nominations in the Pop and Country Best Female Vocalist categories.

1952 - Randy Crawford
Randy Crawford, US female singer who had the 1980 UK No.2 single 'One Day I'll Fly Away' and with the Crusaders the 1979 UK No.5 & US No.36 single 'Street Life.'

1953 - Robbie Bachman
Canadian drummer Robbie Bachman from Bachman Turner Overdrive who had the 1974 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet'.

1954 - John Travolta
John Travolta, American actor, singer, who had the 1978 UK & US No.1 single with Olivia Newton John, 'You're The One That I Want'. The track topped the UK Singles Chart for nine weeks in the summer of 1978 and as of 2008, is still the sixth best-selling single ever in the UK where it has sold over 2,015,000 copies. His mother and his sister Ann appeared as extras in Saturday Night Fever and his sister Ellen appeared as a waitress in Grease.

1955 - Brian James
Brian James, from British punk group The Damned, who had the 1986 UK No.3 single 'Eloise', James was also a member of Lords Of The New Church.

1961 - Jasper Stainthorpe
Jasper Stainthorpe, with English rock band Then Jerico who had the 1989 UK No.13 single 'Big Area'.

1965 - Dr Dre
Dr Dre, NWA, who had the 1990 UK No.26 single 'Express Yourself'. As a solo artist had the 1996 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'California'. Dre is the host of 'Yo! MTV Raps.'

1966 - Tommy Scott
Tommy Scott, singer from English group Space who had the 1996 UK No.14 single 'Female Of The Species'.

1970 - Jez Williams
Twins, Andy Williams (drums, vocals), and Jez Williams, (guitar) who were members of English group Sub Sub who had the 1993 UK No.3 single ‘Ain’t No Love, (Ain’t No Use'). Also members of Doves, who had the 2002 UK No.3 single ‘There Goes The Fear’ and 2002 UK No.1 album ‘The Last Broadcast’.

1994 - J-Hope
J-Hope (Jung Ho-Seok), South Korean singer, songwriter, with the boy band BTS. They became the first Korean act to top the US Billboard chart with their studio album Love Yourself: Tear (2018). BTS also became the fastest group since The Beatles to earn four US No.1 albums, doing so in less than two years. They became the first Asian act to chart a No.1 song in the US since Kyu Sakamoto with ‘Sukiyaki’ (1963).

MOHLovesAlaska

@AlyssaPandora  with pleasure, your welcome. And thank you for your support as well as your interest. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Keep your chin up, it's Friday!! And here is what happened on "This Day In Music History" for this Friday. 

Post 1 of 2: 

1964 - The Beatles
A British company shipped ½ ton of Beatle wigs to the US. An American reporter later asked John Lennon, "How do you feel about teenagers imitating you with Beatle wigs?" John replied "They're not imitating us because we don't wear Beatle wigs."

1965 - The Beatles
Working at Abbey Road studios in London, The Beatles recorded a new John Lennon song 'You're Going To Lose That Girl' in two takes. The track was released on the Help! album.

1966 - Lou Christie
Lou Christie went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Lightnin Strikes', a No.11 hit in the UK. Nancy Sinatra held the UK No.1 single position with 'These Boots Are Made For Walkin'.

1972 - Harry Nilsson
Harry Nilsson started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with his version of the Badfinger song 'Without You.' His vocal was recorded in a single take and his performance was rewarded with Nilsson's second Grammy Award.

1972 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin appeared at the Memorial Drive, Adelaide in Australia. A local paper who reviewed the show printed: Singer Robin Plant (sic) overcame an 'Australian bug' in his throat and broke into his own in 'Black Dog' and 'Stairway To The Stars' (sic).

1977 - Leo Sayer
Leo Sayer had his only UK No.1 single with the Albert Hammond and Carole Bayer Sager song 'When I Need You.' Both Celine Dion and Cliff Richard have scored hits with the song.

1977 - Manfred Mann's Earth Band
Manfred Mann's Earth Band scored a No.1 single in the US with their version of the Bruce Springsteen song 'Blinded By The Light.' The track was the first single from Springsteen's 1973 debut album Greetings from Asbury Park N.J. The Earth Band's version features several changed lyrics. The most prominent change is in the chorus, where Springsteen's "cut loose like a deuce" is replaced with "revved up like a deuce." Springsteen himself has said that it was not until Manfred Mann rewrote the song to be about a "feminine hygiene product" that it became popular.

1982 - Ozzy Osbourne
Ozzy Osbourne was arrested in San Antonio, Texas for urinating on the cenotaph at the Alamo, which honors the Alamo defenders. Osbourne was wearing a dress at the time of his arrest, (due to his wife Sharon hiding all his clothes so he couldn't go outside). Osbourne was banned from ever playing in San Antonio, Texas again, (a ban which was lifted in 1992). When later interviewed, Ozzy said his next goal was to urinate on the White House lawn.

1983 - Kajagoogoo
Kajagoogoo had their only UK No.1 single with 'Too Shy'. Also a hit in other European countries, 5 weeks at No.1 in Germany, a Top 5 hit in Switzerland, Sweden, Austria, and Netherlands. The group had four other Top 40 hits UK hits.

1994 - Mariah Carey
Mariah Carey had her first UK No.1 with her version of the Peter Ham and Tom Evans song 'Without You'. Nilsson also took the song to No.1 in 1972. (Carey's version was released on January 24, 1994, just over a week after Nilsson had died following a heart attack). Both Ham and Evans committed suicide, (Ham in 1975 and Evans in 1983) after an ongoing battle to receive royalties from the song.

1995 - George Michael
Roxette became the first Western group to perform in Beijing since George Michael in 1984 when they played a concert celebrating the Chinese New Year.

1995 - Tommy Lee
Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee married Baywatch actress Pamela Anderson on a Cancun beach, Mexico, the bride wore a white bikini. Anderson and Lee who married only four days after meeting had videotaped their sexual activities while on vacation which was later stolen and released on the Internet. After suing the video company who released the tape, the Lees entered into a confidential settlement agreement. The couple divorced in 1998.

1996 - Bjork
Bjork was shown on UK breakfast TV attacking a news reporter as she arrived at Bangkok International Airport. The footage showed the singer pulling the female reporter to the floor and banging her head on the ground. Bjork later apologized for the attack.

1996 - Jarvis Cocker
Winners at this year's Brit Awards included Paul Weller who won British Male Solo Artist, British Female Solo Artist went to Annie Lennox, Oasis won British Group, Best Album for ‘(What's The Story) Morning Glory' and Best British Video for ‘Wonderwall. British Breakthrough Act went to Supergrass, International Group was Bon Jovi, International Breakthrough Act went to Alanis Morissette and David Bowie was awarded Outstanding Contribution to music. Pulp singer Jarvis Cocker was arrested after a stage invasion during Michael Jackson's appearance, (who won Artist of a Generation). Cocker was accused of attacking children who were performing with Jackson; all charges against Cocker were dropped on March 11th of this year.

2004 - Johnny Cash
Johnny Cash's family blocked an attempt by advertisers to use his hit song 'Ring of Fire' to promote hemorrhoids'-relief products. The idea is said to have been backed by Merle Kilgore, who co-wrote the song with Cash's wife, June Carter Cash. Cash's daughter Rosanne said the family "would never allow the song to be demeaned like that."

2008 - Oasis
Two releases by Oasis were voted the best British albums ever recorded in a poll of 11,000 people. Their 1994 album Definitely Maybe came top, while their 1995 follow-up (What's the Story) Morning Glory was second in the vote for Q magazine and HMV. Radiohead's OK Computer finished third, followed by Revolver by The Beatles and the Stone Roses' self-titled debut. The full list of 50 British albums included five by The Beatles.

2014 - David Bowie
David Bowie was named best British male at the Brit Awards in London, although he was not there in person to collect his award. Arctic Monkeys won both best group and best album for the third time - the first act to achieve that milestone. Ellie Goulding won best British female, while pop act One Direction were honoured for their global success for the second year running. Bowie's prize came at the expense of four much younger hopefuls - Jake Bugg, Tom Odell, John Newman and Mercury Prize winner James Blake.

2015 - Bruce Dickinson
Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson was being treated for cancer after a small cancerous tumor was found at the back of his tongue.

2020 - Pop Smoke
American rapper, singer, and songwriter Pop Smoke died after being shot twice in the chest during a home invasion in Hollywood Hills, California. His debut studio album, Shoot for the Stars, Aim for the Moon, was posthumously released in July 2020 and debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, with all 19 tracks from the album charting on the Billboard Hot 100.

end of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1924 - Lee Marvin
American film and television actor Lee Marvin, who had a UK 1970 UK No.1 single with ‘Wand’rin Star’, taken from the film Paint Your Wagon'. A prominent television role Marvin played was that of Detective Lieutenant Frank Ballinger in the crime series M Squad (1957–1960). Marvin died on August 29th 1987.

1940 - Bobby Rogers
American musician and tenor singer Bobby Rogers, singer with The Miracles who had the 1970 UK & US No.1 single with Smokey Robinson 'Tears of a Clown'. Rogers died on March 3, 2013, at the age of 73.

1940 - Smokey Robinson
American singer, songwriter, record producer, and former record executive Smokey Robinson. With The Miracles he had the 1970 UK & US No.1 single 'The Tears Of A Clown'. As a solo artist Robinson scored the 1981 UK No.1 & US No.2 single 'Being With You'. He became the vice President of Motown Records in 1972. During the course of his 50-year career in music, Robinson has accumulated more than 4,000 songs to his credit.

1943 - Lou Christie
Lou Christie, US singer, who had the 1966 US No.1 single 'Lightnin Strikes', and the 1969 UK No.2 single 'I'm Gonna Make You Mine'.

1946 - Pierre Van Den Linden
Pierre Van Den Linden, drummer with Dutch progressive rock band Focus who had the 1973 UK No.4 single 'Sylvia' and the 1973 US No. 9 single 'Hocus Pocus'.

1948 - Toni Iommi
Toni Iommi, guitarist with English rock band Black Sabbath who had the 1970 UK No.4 single 'Paranoid'. The bands self-titled album was voted as the best British rock album ever by Kerrang! in 2005. At the age of 17 and on his last day of work in a sheet metal factory, he lost the tips of the middle and ring finger of his right hand. After attempting to learn to play right-handed, Iommi instead strung his guitars with lighter strings and made thimbles to extend his fingers.

1948 - Mark Andes
Mark Andes, from American group Spirit who had the 1969 US No.25 single 'I Got A Line On You'. Also joined Jo Jo Gunne, who had the 1972 UK No.6 & US No. 27 single 'Run Run Run'.

1950 - Andy Powell
Andy Powell, guitarist from British rock band Wishbone Ash who scored the 1972 UK No.3 album Argus and eight other Top 40 albums. Wishbone Ash are noted for their extensive use of the harmony twin lead guitar.

1951 - Alan Merrill
American vocalist, guitarist, songwriter Alan Merrill. He was the co-writer of, and lead singer on, the first released version of the song 'I Love Rock 'n' Roll', which was recorded by the Arrows in 1975. The song became a breakthrough hit for Joan Jett in 1982. He died on 29 March 2020 age 69.

1956 - Dave Wakeling
Dave Wakeling, from British group The Beat who had a string of UK hit singles in the 80s, including 'Mirror in the Bathroom,' 'Can't Get Used to Losing You' and 'Hands Off, She's Mine'.

1957 - Falco
Falco, (Hans Holzl), who had the1986 UK & US No.1 single 'Rock Me Amadeus'. Falco became the first-ever Austrian act to score a UK and US No.1 hit single. He was killed in a car accident on 6th February 1998.

1958 - Steve Nieve
Steve Nieve, English musician and composer who has been a member of Elvis Costello and the Attractions, the Imposters and Madness. As a session musician Nieve has worked with the Neville Brothers, Hothouse Flowers, Graham Parker, Squeeze, Tim Finn, Kirsty MacColl, Madness, Nick Heyward and David Bowie

1960 - Prince Mark D
Prince Mark D, rapper with the American hip hop trio Fat Boys who had the 1988 UK No.2 single 'Wipeout'. The Fat Boys were one of the first rap groups to release full-length rap albums, along with Run-D.M.C., Whodini and Kurtis Blow.

1963 - Seal
British singer-songwriter Henry Samuel, singer, songwriter, (Seal). He had the 1991 UK No.2 single 'Crazy', and the 1995 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Kiss From A Rose'. His 1991 self-titled album spent 65 weeks on the UK chart. Seal has won multiple awards throughout his career, including three Brit Awards; he won Best British Male in 1992, as well as four Grammy Awards and an MTV Video Music Award.

1965 - Kate Radley
Kate Radley, keyboards, from English space rock band Spiritualized. They released the critically acclaimed 1997 Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, which NME magazine named as their Album of the Year.

1975 - Daniel Adair
Daniel Adair, drummer from Canadian rock band, Nickelback who are one of the most commercially successful Canadian groups, having sold more than 50 million albums worldwide. Adair joined Nickelback in 2005.

Take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Saturday. 

Post 1 of 2:

1958 - Buddy Holly
Billed as 'The Big Gold Record Stars' Bill Haley and his Comets, The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly & The Crickets, Jerry Lee Lewis and Jimmie Rodgers all appeared on the first date of a six day tour of Florida.

1959 - Jimi Hendrix
16 year old Jimi Hendrix made his stage debut when he played a show at the Temple De Hirsch Sinai synagogue in Seattle.

1963 - The Beatles
The Beatles drove through the night from Liverpool to London to appear on the live lunchtime BBC radio program "Parade of the Pops." Performing 'Love Me Do' and 'Please Please Me', the appearance lasted just over 4 minutes. They then drove another 180 mile trip back north for their performance that night at the Swimming Baths, Doncaster, Yorkshire.

1970 - John Lennon
The single 'Instant Karma!' by The Plastic Ono Band was released in the US. John Lennon had written, recorded and mixed the track all in one day on the 27th January 1970.

1972 - Chicory Tip
Chicory Tip were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Son Of My Father.' Written by Giorgio Moroder, it was the first UK number one single to prominently feature a synthesizer, in this case a Moog synthesizer.

1976 - Kiss
All four members of Kiss had their footprints implanted on the pavement outside Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.

1977 - Stevie Wonder
Winners at this years Grammy Awards included Stevie Wonder for Best album with 'Songs In The Key Of Life', and Best Vocal performance for 'I Wish.' Best album went to Chicago for 'Chicago X' and Best new artist went to the Starland Vocal Band.

1988 - Kylie Minogue
Kylie Minogue was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Should Be So Lucky.' Minogue had become a household name playing Charlene Ramsey in Australian soap Neighbors. After every major UK record company turned down the track, producer Pete Waterman released the single on his own PWL label. Kylie has gone on to score over 30 hit singles.

1991 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan was awarded a lifetime achievement award at the 33rd annual Grammy' Awards.

2003 - Robbie Williams
Winners at this years Brit Awards included Robbie Williams for British male solo artist, Ms Dynamite won British female artist, Best British album went to Coldplay for A Rush Of Blood, Best British group went to Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers won International Group, Blue won Best Pop Act and Liberty X won Best single for 'Just A Little.'

2003 - Ty Longley
100 people died after pyrotechnics ignited a club during a gig by Great White in West Warwick, Rhode Island. Great White guitarist Ty Longley was also killed in the accident. Two brothers who owned the club were charged, along with the former tour manager with involuntary manslaughter. Foam soundproofing material at the edge of the stage set alight and the blaze spread quickly in the one-story wooden building as fans all tried to escape through the same exit. Great White began a tour in July 2003 to raise money for the survivors and families of victims.

2004 - Brian Wilson
Brian Wilson kicked off an 11-date UK tour at London's Royal Festival Hall. The shows saw Wilson performing the full suite of songs from his unreleased masterpiece 'Smile' Wilson's 'teenage symphony to God.

2007 - Britney Spears
The US hair salon where pop star Britney Spears shaved her head set up a website to auction her hair for more than $1m (£512,500). The website, buybritneyshair.com, claimed to have been set up by salon owner Esther Tognozzi included photos of the hair, saying it was "absolutely authentic". As well as the hair, the winning bidder would also get the hair clippers Spears used, a blue lighter she left at the salon and the can of Red Bull she was drinking at the time. Meanwhile, Spears has been spotted in Hollywood sporting a short blonde wig.

2008 - The Rolling Stones
A 1976 Rolling Stones album bought for £2 at a car boot sale sold for £4,000 at an auction. The 'Black and Blue' LP was signed by John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Paul and Linda McCartney and George Harrison as well as members of the Rolling Stones. The seller obtained the album after haggling the cost down from £3.

2008 - Take That
Winners at this year's Brit Awards in London, included Take That who won the trophies for best British live act and British single, The Arctic Monkeys won best British group and album - both for the second year in a row and Foo Fighters won best international group and album. Kate Nash won best British female and Mark Ronson was named best British male. Kylie Minogue won best international female and Mika was named best British breakthrough act. Sir Paul McCartney performed a medley of hits, including 'Live and Let Die', ‘Hey Jude’ and 'Lady 'Madonna' after he was honoured with an outstanding contribution award. The show was presented by Sharon Osbourne.

2010 - The Barbican
An event was staged at The Barbican in London where 40 zebra finches made music by landing on guitars and cymbals. The flock of finches would land on Gibson Les Paul guitars, which were plugged into amplifiers and land on upturned cymbals being used as bird feeders to make random sounds. A video clip of the installation, on YouTube had been watched more than 520,000 times.

2014 - British Phonographic Industry
The British Phonographic Industry reported that Digital revenues now accounted for 50% of the total UK record industry income. Digital album sales and a surge in streaming had boosted total digital revenue in 2013 to £365m - up from £326m (a 45.5% share) in 2012. Streaming revenue increased by 41%, bringing total UK revenue to £730.4m - the first growth since 2009.

2017 - David Cassidy
David Cassidy told People magazine that he was suffering from dementia two days after giving what appeared to be a drunken performance at a concert in California. He told the magazine that both his grandfather and mother (actress Evelyn Ward) had the disease in later life. Cassidy died from liver and kidney failure on 21 November 2017 age 67.

End of post 1 of 2.

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1941 - Buffy Sainte- Marie
Buffy Sainte-Marie, Canadian singer, songwriter who had the 1971 UK No.7 single 'Soldier Blue'. She wrote 'Up Where We Belong' the 1982 US No.1 & UK No.7 for Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes.

1944 - Lew Soloff
Lew Soloff, from jazz-rock American music group Blood Sweat & Tears. They scored the 1969 US No.2 single 'Spinning Wheel', and the 1969 US No.12 single 'You've Made Me So Very Happy'. They had a US No.1 with their second album Blood, Sweat & Tears in 1968.

1945 - Alan Hull
Alan Hull, guitarist, singer, songwriter with English group Lindisfarne who had the 1970s hit singles 'Meet Me on the Corner', 'Lady Eleanor and 'Run For Home'. Their album Fog on the Tyne became the biggest selling UK album in 1972. Hull also worked as a solo artist. He died of a heart attack on 17 November 1996.

1946 - J Geils
J Geils, American guitarist, with The J. Geils Band who had the 1982 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Centerfold', which was taken from their US No.1 1981 album Freeze Frame. On April 11, 2017, Groton Police conducted a well-being check on Geils and found him unresponsive at his home. He was pronounced dead from natural causes at age 71.

1950 - Walter Becker
Walter Becker, bass, guitar, vocals, songwriter with American group Steely Dan. Can't Buy a Thrill, Steely Dan's debut album, was released in 1972. Its hit singles 'Do It Again' and 'Reelin' In the Years' reached No. 6 and No. 11 respectively on the Billboard singles chart and the songs became staples on progressive radio. Steely Dan's Two Against Nature won a Grammy in 2001 for Album of the year. Becker has produced records for Rickie Lee Jones, China Crisis and Michael Franks. Becker died on 3 September 2017 aged 67.

1951 - Randy California
Randy California, guitarist, singer with Spirit, who had the 1969 US No.25 single 'I Got A Line On You', and the 1981 UK No.40 album 'Potato Land'. He died on 2nd January 1997 when rescuing his 12 year-old son after he was sucked into a riptide in surf off Hawaii.

1953 - Poison Ivy
Poison Ivy, (Kristy Wallace), guitar, The Cramps. Wallace was married to Cramps singer Lux Interior who died in Glendale, California on February 4, 2009.

1954 - Jon Brant
Jon Brant from from American rock band, Cheap Trick, who had the 1979 hit single 'I Want You To Want Me', and the 1988 US No.1 single 'The Flame'.

1963 - Ian Brown
Ian Brown, lead singer of the alternative rock band the Stone Roses who had the 1989 UK No.8 single 'Fool's Gold', taken from their 1989 self title album Brown had the the 1998 solo UK No.5 single 'My Star'. Brown is also known for a cameo role in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

1967 - Kurt Cobain
Kurt Cobain guitarist, singer, songwriter with Nirvana who had the 1991 hit 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. Their 1991 album 'Nevermind' spent over two years on the UK chart. During the last years of his life, Cobain struggled with heroin addiction, illness and depression. Cobain committed suicide on April 5th 1994. Cobain has been remembered as one of the most iconic rock musicians in the history of alternative music.

1972 - Neil Primrose
Neil Primrose, drummer with Scottish rock band Travis. Their 1999 UK album The Man Who spent nine weeks at No.1 on the UK Charts and one-hundred and thirty-four weeks in the top 100 of the chart. Travis had and 1999 UK No.10 single 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me', plus over 10 other UK Top 40 singles.

1975 - Brian Littrell
Brian Littrell, singer with Backstreet Boys who had the 1997 US No.2 single 'Quit Playing Games With My Heart' and the 1999 UK No.1 single 'I Want It That Way'.

1977 - Edwin Graham
Edwin Graham, drummer with The Darkness who had the 2003 UK No.2 single ‘I Believe In A Thing Called Love’, and the 2003 UK No.1 album ‘Permission To Land’. The album was certified quadruple platinum in the United Kingdom, with sales of over 1,300,000 and in 2004 the band won three Brit Awards.

1979 - Coy Bowles
Coy Bowles American guitarist with the Grammy Award winning country music group, Zac Brown Band. Their 2015 album Jekyll + Hyde which debuted at No.1 on the US chart featured the single 'Heavy Is the Head' with vocals from Chris Cornell.

1981 - Edward Lay
Edward Lay, drummer, with English rock band The Editors, who had the 2007 UK No.1 album An End Has a Start and earned the band a Brit Awards nomination for best British Band.

1985 - Volkova Olegovna
Volkova Olegovna, singer, with Russian music duo Tatu who had the 2003 UK No.1 single 'All The Things She Said' which also topped the charts in Australia, New Zealand, Italy, Switzerland and other European countries. The duo represented Russia in the Eurovision Song Contest 2003 with the song 'Ne Ver', Ne Boysia', finishing third.

1988 - Rihanna
Rihanna, Barbadian R&B singer who had 2007 world-wide No.1 single 'Umbrella' featuring Jay-Z. 'Umbrella' became the longest running UK No.1 in the 21st Century. The song debuted at No.1 on the chart based on digital sales alone. Rihanna has sold more than 20 million albums and 60 million singles which makes her one of the best selling artists of all time. She is the youngest solo artist in Billboard charts history to achieve eleven No.1 singles.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In History Of Music for this Sunday.

Post 1 of 2:

1961 - The Beatles
The Beatles played three gigs in one day. The first was a lunchtime show at The Cavern Club, then at night they appeared at the Casanova Club, Liverpool and at Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool.

1964 - Billy Joel
New York band The Echoes recruited a new young unknown piano player, named Billy Joel.

1964 - Billy J Kramer
Three classic British singles were released, The Rolling Stones 'Not Fade Away', (a UK No.3), The Hollies 'Just One Look', (a UK No.2), and Billy J Kramer's 'Little Children', (a UK No.1).

1967 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd started their first sessions at the EMI Studios, St. John's Wood, London on their debut album The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, working on the song 'Matilda Mother'. While Pink Floyd were recording their album with former Beatles engineer Norman Smith, The Beatles themselves were working in the studio next door, recording 'Fixing A Hole' for their Sgt. Pepper album. Micky Dolenz from The Monkees attended the mixing session during the day.

1968 - Otis Redding
Otis Redding had his first entry on the UK singles chart when '(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay' entered the chart, it went on to be a No.3 hit. The song became the first posthumous single to top the charts in the US.

1970 - Simon and Garfunkel
Simon and Garfunkel went to No.1 on the UK chart with Bridge Over Troubled Water. The album went on to stay on the chart for over 300 weeks, returning to the top of the charts on eight separate occasions and spending a total of 41 weeks at No.1.

1972 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin released 'Rock And Roll / Four Sticks' as a 7 inch single in the US, peaking at No.47 on the chart. The song was written as a spontaneous jam session, whilst the band were trying to finish 'Four Sticks'. Drummer John Bonham played the introduction to Little Richard's 'You Keep A-Knockin' and Page added a guitar riff; with the tapes rolling the basic song was finished fifteen minutes later.

1976 - The Four Seasons
The Four Seasons were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'December '63 (Oh What A Night). The group's only UK No.1.

1981 - Dolly Parton
Dolly Parton started a two week run at No.1 on the US charts with '9 to 5', the singers first No.1, a No.47 hit in the UK.

1982 - Murry K
American DJ Murry The K died. Murray is thought to be the first person to play a Beatles record on radio in America. During the early days of Beatlemania, he frequently referred to himself as "the Fifth Beatle". Married six times, he died of cancer a week after his 60th birthday.

1986 - Metallica
Metallica released their third album, the highly influential album, Master of Puppets, considered by many in the metal community to be the best metal album of all time. This was the last Metallica album with bassist Cliff Burton who was killed when the group's tour bus over-turned in southern Sweden while touring to promote the album.

1987 - Ben E King
Ben E King was at No.1 in the UK singles chart with 'Stand By Me.' The track was first released in 1961 and became a hit in 1987 after being featured in the film 'Stand By Me.'

1998 - Celine Dion
Celine Dion went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'My Heart Will Go On'. The song was the theme from the movie Titanic. The world's best selling single of 1998.

2001 - Robbie Williams
Robbie Williams was attacked and thrown from the stage during a concert in Stuttgart, Germany after a man got onto the stage and pushed Williams into the security pit. The attacker was arrested and taken to a secure psychiatric clinic.

2002 - Elton John
Elton John accused the music industry of exploiting young singers and dumping talented artists for manufactured group's. He said 'There are too many average and mediocre acts; it damages real talent getting airplay. It's just fodder.'

2004 - Simon Cowell
Simon Cowell was set to appear in a new episode of The Simpsons. The TV Pop Idol judge would play a nursery boss who gets punched by Homer Simpson.

2004 - Les Gray
Mud singer Les Gray died of a heart attack, whilst fighting throat cancer, aged 57, (1974 UK No.1 single 'Tiger Feet' plus 14 other UK Top 40 singles').

2008 - Record Collection
A US music aficionado sold his collection of more than three million vinyl albums, singles and compact discs to an eBay buyer from Ireland for just over $3 million. An eBay spokeswoman said the sale was one of the highest ever for the online auction site.

2008 - Britney Spears
Britney Spears failed in a court bid to regain visitation rights to her two children. Spears was banned from monitored visits in January of this year after refusing to hand the children back, resulting in a stand-off with police at her house. The singer's ex-husband Kevin Federline was awarded primary custody of two-year-old Sean Preston and Jayden James, aged one, in October.

2008 - Linkin Park
A computer expert was jailed for two years for electronically stalking Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington. Devon Townsend worked at a US national security laboratory in New Mexico, where she used a computer to track Bennington, she admitted to obtaining family photos, accessing e-mail and voicemail, and threatening his wife Talinda.

2009 - Rihanna
Rihanna issued a statement thanking fans for their support after an alleged assault by her R&B singer boyfriend Chris Brown, but the singer declined to comment on a leaked photograph which appeared to show her with facial injuries. The Los Angeles Police Department had launched an internal investigation and asked for the public's help in finding the person who leaked the photograph.

2014 - Gregg Allman
A crew member working on a biopic about Gregg Allman died after being hit by a train during filming. Police in south Georgia said the woman was struck after the crew for Midnight Rider placed a bed on the railway tracks in Doctor town. Wayne County Sheriff John Carter said several other people had been injured, two of them seriously.

2019 - Peter Tork
American musician Peter Tork died age 77. He was diagnosed with a rare form of tongue cancer in 2009. The Monkees were brought together for an American sitcom TV series in 1966. Best known as the keyboardist and bass guitarist, they had the 1967 UK & US No.1 single 'I'm A Believer' plus other hits including 'Last Train to Clarksville', 'Pleasant Valley Sunday', and 'Daydream Believer'.

End of post 1 of 2.

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1933 - Nina Simone
Nina Simone, (Eunice Wayman), US jazz, blues singer who had the 1959 US No.18 single 'I Love You, Porgy', and the 1968 UK No.2 single 'Ain't Got No I Got Life'. Simone died of cancer on 21st April 2003.

1943 - David Geffen
David Geffen, Geffen record label boss. Founder of Asylum records who signed the Eagles, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Jackson Browne, Warren Zevon, Tom Waits and Joni Mitchell. Formed Dreamworks in 1995.

1949 - Jerry Harrison
American songwriter, musician Jerry Harrison, keyboards, guitar, Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers, and Talking Heads, who had the 1983 US No.9 single 'Burning Down The House', and the 1985 UK No.6 single 'Road To Nowhere'. Also a member of Casual Gods.

1951 - Vince Welnick
American keyboardist Vince Welnick with The Tubes who had the 1977 UK No.28 single 'White Punks On Dope'. 1983 US No.10 single 'She's A Beauty'. Also a member of Grateful Dead and the band's keyboard player from the fall of 1990 until Jerry Garcia's death in August 1995, when the group disbanded.

1952 - Jean-Jacques "JJ" Burnel
Franco-English musician, producer and songwriter Jean-Jacques Burnel, best known as the bass guitarist with The Stranglers who had the 1982 UK No.2 single 'Golden Brown' plus over 20 other UK Top 40 hits.

1954 - Mike Pickering
British musician and DJ Mike Pickering, who with M People had the 1993 UK No.2 single 'Moving On Up', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles. He was a DJ at the Manchester club and worked for Factory Records where he signed Happy Mondays, To Hell With Burgundy and James.

1961 - Ranking Roger
Ranking Roger, singer, musician from British group The Beat who had a string of UK hit singles in the 80s, including 'Mirror in the Bathroom,' 'Can't Get Used to Losing You' and 'Hands Off, She's Mine'. He later was a member of General Public. He died on 26 March 2019.

1962 - Mark Arm
Mark Arm singer, guitarist with American alternative rock band Mudhoney. Their early releases on the Sub Pop label were massively influential on the Seattle music scene.

1967 - Michael Ward
Michael Ward, guitarist with American rock band The Wallflowers who had the 1997 US No.3 album Bringing Down The Horse.

1969 - James Dean Bradfield
Welsh singer, songwriter, musician James Dean Bradfield, with Manic Street Preachers who had the 1996 UK No. 2 single 'A Design For Life', and the 1998 UK No.1 album This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours.

1986 - Charlotte Church
Charlotte Church, Welsh singer, who had the 1999 UK No.34 single 'Just Wave Hello' and the 1998 UK No.4 album, 'Voice Of An Angel'.

1989 - Corbin Bleu
Corbin Bleu, American actor and singer from High School Musical, as part of the cast had the 2006 US No.1 ‘High School Musical’ album and 2007, US No.1 ‘High School Musical 2’ album. Over 17 million viewers in the United States watched the TV premier of High School Musical; making it the highest rated basic cable broadcast in U.S. history.

MOHLovesAlaska

Here is what happened on this date for This Day In Music History.

Post 1 of 2:

1962 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley was at No.1 o the UK singles chart with 'Rock-A- Hula Baby / Can't Help Falling In Love.' The tracks were from his latest film 'Blue Hawaii' and became the singers tenth UK No.1

1967 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd continued working on their debut album The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn at Abbey Road Studios, London. The Beatles were also working at Abbey Road, recording the giant piano chord for the end of 'A Day In The Life' for their Sgt. Pepper's album.

1970 - David Bowie
Appearing at The Roundhouse Spring Festival in Camden, London, David Bowie and the Hype, (their first live performance of the new band), along with Bachdenkel, Groundhog and Caravan.

1975 - Average White Band
Scottish group The Average White Band went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Pick Up The Pieces', the bands album AWB also went to No.1 on the US chart.

1975 - Steve Harley
Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel had their only UK No.1 single with 'Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me). Singer Steve Harley said the lyrics were vindictively directed at the former band members, whom he felt had abandoned him.

1976 - Florence Ballard
Florence Ballard of The Supremes died of cardiac arrest, aged 32. Ballard had left the group in 1967, lost an $8 million (£4.7 million) lawsuit against Motown records and was living on welfare when she died.

1977 - The Eagles
The Eagles released 'Hotel California' the title track from the Eagles' album of the same name. Written by Don Felder, Don Henley, and Glenn Frey its long guitar coda was voted the best guitar solo of all time by readers of Guitarist in 1998. The song was awarded the Grammy Award for Record of the Year in 1978.

1978 - The Police
The Police appeared in a Wrigley's Chewing Gum commercial for US TV, the band dyed their hair blonde for the appearance.

1981 - Joe Dolce
One Hit Wonder Joe Dolce was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Shaddap You Face,' famously keeping the legendary Ultravox song, Vienna, off the UK No.1 slot. 'Shaddap You Face' was Number 1 in 11 countries with over 35 different foreign language cover versions, selling over 4 million copies.

1986 - Monkees
MTV dedicated a full 22 hours broadcast to The Monkees, showing all 45 episodes of the original The Monkees TV series.

1987 - Andy Warhol
Andy Warhol, pop artist and producer died after a gall bladder operation. The founder of the Pop Art movement, produced and managed the Velvet Underground, designed the 1967 Velvet Underground And Nico 'peeled banana' album cover and The Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers album cover.

1989 - Heavy Metal
A category for Heavy Metal was included at the Grammy Awards for the first time. Metallica performed on stage, but the award went to Jethro Tull. Many audience members booed. Meanwhile, Bobby McFerrin won Record Of The Year and Song Of The Year for 'Don't Worry, Be Happy', Tracy Chapman is named Best New Artist and Tina Turner won Best Female Rock Vocal Performance for 'Tina Live in Europe'.

1992 - Patti Smith
UK music paper the NME printed their writers all time best debut albums; at No.1, Patti Smith, 'Horses', No.2, Joy Division, 'Unknown Pleasures', No.3, MC5, 'Kick Out The Jams, No.4, The Jesus and Mary Chain, 'Psychocandy' and No.5, Television, 'Marquee Moon'.

1992 - Shakespears Sister
Shakespears Sister started an eight-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Stay'. The duo was made up of ex Bananarama member Siobhan Fahey and singer Marcella Detroit (who co-wrote 'Lay Down Sally' with Eric Clapton). One of the longest running UK No.1's in chart history and the longest by an all-female act.

1997 - No Doubt
No Doubt went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Don't Speak.' The third single from the band's second album Tragic Kingdom was written by Eric Stefani and his sister Gwen Stefani.

2000 - Sid Vicious
The engagement ring Sex Pistol Sid Vicious gave to his girlfriend Nancy Spungen went on sale for auction at £1,500 ($2,550). Sid bought the ring from Camden market in 1977. Also on sale was a pair of John Lennon's jeans for £2,250 ($3,825).

2001 - Macy Gray
Winners at the 43rd Grammy Awards included U2, record of the year and song of the year with 'Beautiful Day', Steely Dan won album of the year for 'Two Against Nature', Macy Gray won Female pop vocal for 'I Try', Sting won Male pop vocal for 'She Walks This Earth', Eminem won Best Rap album from 'The Marshall Mathers LP', Johnny Cash won Best Male country performance for 'Solitary Man', and Shelby Lynne won best new artist award.

2002 - Ronnie Verrell
Drummer Ronnie Verrell died aged 76. He worked with The Ted Heath Orchestra and The Syd Lawrence Orchestra and provided the drum licks for Animal in The Muppet Show. When American drummer Buddy Rich, (one of Verrell's heroes), guested on the show, Verrell (as Animal) had a drumming duel with Rich, and won after Animal smashed a snare drum over Rich's head.

2002 - Cliff Richard
Two middle-aged women spent the first of eight nights sleeping in a car outside Bournemouth International Centre to make sure they were first in the queue for when tickets to Cliff Richard's forthcoming concert went on sale.

2003 - Paul McCartney
Sir Paul McCartney played a private show in San Diego for the 50th birthday of Wendy Whitworth, the executive producer of CNN's Larry King Show. Sir Paul donated his $1 million (£0.6 million) fee to the Adopt-a-Minefield charity.

2004 - Norah Jones
Norah Jones started a six week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Feels Like Home', the singers second US No.1. Usher feat Lil Jon and Ludacris were at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Yeah.'

2004 - Sex Pistols
The Sex Pistols 'Anarchy in the UK' was named the most influential record of the 1970s in poll compiled by Q magazine. Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was voted into second place and Donna Summer's 'I Feel Love' was third, T Rex 'Get It On' was fourth and Special AKA's 'Gangsters' came fifth.

2010 - Johnny Marr
Johnny Marr was said to be "ecstatic" after getting back one of his guitars which had been stolen in 2000 after a gig at the Scala nightclub in Kings Cross, London. Smiths fan Stephen White told a London court he was "disgusted" with himself for taking the £30,000 cherry red 1964 Gibson SG when he went backstage after the gig at The Scala.

2012 - Mike Melvoin
American jazz pianist, composer, and arranger Mike Melvoin died in Burbank, California of cancer, aged 74. He worked as a prolific studio musician, recording with Frank Sinatra, John Lennon, Tom Waits, Barbra Streisand, The Jackson 5, Natalie Cole, and The Beach Boys on Pet Sounds. He worked in the early 1970s as a music director on The Partridge Family recordings and also composed for film and television including contributing scores to Fame.

2012 - Billy Strange
American singer, songwriter, guitarist Billy Strange died aged 81. As a session musician with the famed Wrecking Crew, he appeared on hit songs for Elvis Presley, including 'A Little Less Conversation', Nancy and Frank Sinatra's 'Somethin' Stupid', played guitar on numerous Beach Boys hits, including 'Sloop John B' and the Pet Sounds album and worked with The Ventures, Willie Nelson, The Everly Brothers, Wanda Jackson, Randy Newman, and Nat King Cole, among others.

End of post 1 of 2. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2016 - Sonny James
American country music singer and songwriter Sonny James, best known for his 1957 hit, 'Young Love' died in Nashville, Tennessee, at the age of 87. Dubbed the Southern Gentleman, James had 72 country and pop chart hits from 1953 to 1983, including 23 No.1 Country hits.

2016 - Adele
Adele won four prizes including best British female solo artist and best album at this years Brit Awards, Coldplay won Best British group, making them the most successful band in the ceremony's history. The show also featured an emotional tribute to David Bowie, led by Annie Lennox and his friend Gary Oldman.

2017 - David Bowie
David Bowie dominated the 2017 Brit awards. The star was awarded best British male and best British album, for his mournful swansong, Blackstar. Rag'n'Bone Man was the other big winner of the night taking home two awards - the critics choice award and best British breakthrough act. As well as honoring Bowie, the Brits paid tribute to George Michael, who died on Christmas day 2016.

1936 - Ernie K Doe
American rhythm-and-blues singer Ernie K-Doe, who had a 1961 US No.1 single with 'Mother-in-Law', which was written by Allen Toussaint. K-Doe died from kidney and liver failure from years of alcoholismon on 5 July 2001 age 68.

1938 - Bobby Hendricks
American R&B singer Bobby Hendricks from The Drifters who had the 1960 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Save The Last Dance For Me'.

1943 - Louise Lopez
American singer Louise Lopez, from Odyssey, who had the 1980 UK No.1 single 'Use It Up And Wear It Out'.

1943 - Mick Green
English rock and roll guitarist Mick Green, with Johnny Kidd & The Pirates from 1962-4 who had the 1963 UK No.4 singles 'I'll Never Get Over You' and later with The Pirates. Green also worked with Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas, Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers and appeared on the Paul McCartney 1999 album Run Devil Run. He died of heart failure on 11 January 2010 age 65.

1950 - Genesis P-Orridge
English singer-songwriter, musician, poet, and performance artist Genesis P-Orridge. A founding member of the cult experimental bands Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV, the group played an abrasive brand of industrial rock, often combined with sexually-explicit live shows. He died on 14 March 2020 age 70 after battling leukemia for two-and-a-half years.

1953 - Neil
English actor Nigel Planer, (who played Neil in the BBC comedy The Young Ones) and had the 1984 UK No.2 single with his version of the 1967 hit for Traffic, 'Hole In My Shoe'.

1953 - John Sparks
John Sparks, bassist with British rock band Dr.Feelgood who had the 1979 UK No.9 single 'Milk And Alcohol' and the hits 'She Does It Right', 'Roxette', and 'Back in the Night'.

1962 - Michael Wilton
Michael Wilton with American progressive heavy metal band Queensrÿche. Their 1994 album Promised Land went top 3 in the US.

1973 - Scott Phillips
Scott Phillips, drummer and co-founder from American rock band Creed who had the 2001 US No.1 & UK No.13 single 'With Arms Wide Open' and the 2002 US No.1 album Weathered.

1974 - James Blunt
English singer, songwriter James Blunt. The former Army captain had the 2005 UK No.1 single 'You're Beautiful' and the 2005 UK No.1 album Back To Bedlam. He became the first British artist to top the American singles chart in nearly a decade when 'You're Beautiful' reached No.1 in 2006. The last British artist to do so was Elton John in 1997 with 'Candle in the Wind'.

1979 - Tom Higgenson
American musician Tom Higgenson from Plain White T's who had a No.1 hit with 'Hey There Delilah', which achieved platinum status in 2007 and earned two Grammy nominations.

MOHLovesAlaska