cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

Good Tuesday morning. Here is what happened on "This Day In Music History". 

Post 1 of 2.  

1940 - Woody Guthrie
Woody Guthrie wrote the lyrics to 'This Land Is Your Land' in his room at the Hanover House Hotel in New York City. The song was brought back to life in the 1960s, when several artists of the new folk movement, including Bob Dylan, The Kingston Trio, Trini Lopez, Jay and the Americans, and The New Christy Minstrels all recorded versions, inspired by its political message.

1961 - Petula Clark
Petula Clark had her first UK No.1 single with 'Sailor'. During her career the former child actress achieved a total of 20 UK Top 40 hits and 2 US No.1 singles.

1965 - The Beatles
Filming began on The Beatles follow up to 'A Hard Day's Night' on location in the Bahamas with the working title of 'Eight Arms To Hold You.'

1972 - Elvis Presley
After nearly five years of marriage, Priscilla Presley moved out of Elvis Presley's California home and into a two bedroom apartment near the Pacific Ocean. Their divorce would be finalized on October 9, 1973, with Priscilla being awarded an outright cash payment of $725,000 as well as spousal support, child support, 5% of Elvis' new publishing companies and half the income from the sale of their Beverly Hills home.

1974 - David Bowie
'Rebel Rebel' by David Bowie entered the UK chart, the single reached No.5 the following month. Originally written for an aborted Ziggy Stardust musical in late 1973, 'Rebel Rebel' was Bowie's last single in the glam rock style that had been his trademark. It was also his first hit since 1969 not to feature lead guitarist Mick Ronson; Bowie himself played guitar on this track.

1974 - Suzi Quatro
Suzi Quatro was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Devil Gate Drive', the singers second UK No.1 and fourth No.1 for the songs writers Chinn & Chapman.

1976 - AC/DC
AC/DC shot the video clip for "It's A Long Way To The Top, (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)" for the Australian music television program Countdown. It featured the band's then-current lineup, along with members of the Rats of Tobruk Pipe Band, on the back of a flat-bed truck travelling on Swanston Street in Melbourne. In May 2001, Australasian Performing Rights Association celebrated its 75th anniversary by naming the Best Australian Songs of all time, as decided by a 100-member industry panel. "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)" was ranked as the ninth song on the list.

1978 - Eagles
Winners at this years Grammy Awards included Fleetwood Mac, Album of the year for Rumours. The Eagles, Record of the year for Hotel California and Best pop vocal performance, The Bee Gees for 'How Deep Is Your Love.'

1980 - U2
U2 appeared at The Moonlight Club, at The Railway Hotel in London, tickets cost £2.

1985 - Stevie Wonder
Stevie Wonder was arrested during an antiapartheid demonstration outside the South African Embassy in Washington; he was released after being questioned by police.

1985 - The Smiths
The Smiths scored their first UK No.1 album with Meat Is Murder. The album's sleeve uses a 1967 photograph of Marine Cpl. Michael Wynn in the Vietnam War, though with the wording on his helmet changed from "Make War Not Love" to "Meat Is Murder". The original image was used for Emile de Antonio's 1968 documentary In the Year of the Pig.

1995 - Temptations
American singer Melvin Franklin of The Temptations died of a brain seizure aged 52. Had the 1971 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Just My Imagination' and re-issued 'My Girl' UK No.2 in 1992. In 1978 Franklin was shot in the hand and the leg when trying to stop a man from stealing his car.

1998 - Oasis
All members of Oasis were banned for life from flying Cathay Pacific Airlines after "abusive and disgusting behavior" during a flight from Hong Kong to Perth, Australia.

2002 - Bee Gees
The Bee Gees made their last ever concert appearance when they appeared at the Love and Hope Ball, Miami Beach, Florida.

2003 - Howie Epstein
Howie Epstein bassist with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers died of a suspected drug overdose in New Mexico. He had replaced The Heartbreakers original bassist Ron Blair, Epstein also worked with Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Stevie Nicks, Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins, Linda Ronstadt and Del Shannon.

2003 - Michael Jackson
The News Of The World reported that Michael Jackson had undergone scores of painful operations to strip his body of black skin until he appeared white. And that surgeons at a Santa Monica clinic eventually refused him any more treatment. An insider told the paper that Jackson had been anaesthetized on a weekly basis to have his skin peeled and bleached.

2003 - Norah Jones
Norah Jones cleaned up at the 45th Grammy Awards, held at Madison Square Garden, New York. The singer, songwriter won, Album of the year and Record of the year, with 'Don't Know Why.' Song of the year, Best new artist and Best female pop vocal for 'Don't Know Why'. Other winners included Best male pop vocal, John Mayer, 'Our Body Is A Wonderland'. Best male rock vocal, Bruce Springsteen, 'The Rising', Best female rock vocal, Sheryl Crow, 'Steve McQueen', Best rock performance by group, Coldplay 'In My Place', Best rap album, Eminem, 'The Eminem Show'.

2010 - Abbey Road Studios
London's Abbey Road studios was made a listed building, protecting it from plans to radically alter it. Culture Minister Margaret Hodge listed the studios on the advice of English Heritage saying it had "produced some of the very best music in the world". The Beatles used Abbey Road for 90% of their recordings. The studio was originally named EMI Studios, they changed the name to Abbey Road Studios in 1970 because of The Beatles album.

2013 - Jermaine Jackson
Jermaine Jackson officially changed his last Name to Jacksun. The third-oldest member of the Jackson 5, who unofficially took the name Mohammad Abdul Aziz upon his 1989 conversion to Islam, said he was making the new change for "artistic reasons."

2017 - Jay Z
Jay Z was set to become first rapper inducted into Songwriters Hall of Fame. Previous inductees include Marvin Gaye, Bob Dylan, Dolly Parton, Bruce Springsteen and Michael Jackson. But no rapper had ever made the cut before. Jay Z would be inducted as part of the hall's class of 2017 alongside Max Martin, who has written songs for Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and Ariana Grande.

2019 - Ariana Grande
Ariana Grande became the first solo artist to hold the top three spots on the US Hot 100 in the same week, a feat previously accomplished only by The Beatles. The songs: No.1: '7 Rings', No.2: 'Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored' and at No.3: 'Thank U, Next'.

End of post 1 of 2.
MOHLovesAlaska

Born On This Day In The Music World.

Post 2 of 2:

1944 - Mike Maxfield
English songwriter and guitarist Mike Maxfield from Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, who had the 1964 UK No.1 & US N0.7 single 'Little Children'.

1944 - Johnny Winter
American singer and guitarist Johnny Winter who worked with his brother Edger Winter and Rick Derringer. He produced three Grammy Award-winning albums for blues singer and guitarist Muddy Waters. Winter died at the age of 70 on 16 July 2014 in Zurich, just days after playing at the Lovely Days Festival in Austria.

1946 - Rusty Young
American guitarist, vocalist and songwriter Rusty Young, with American group Poco who had the 1979 US No.17 single 'Crazy Love'. A virtuoso on pedal steel guitar, Young was inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2013.

1948 - Steve Priest
Steve Priest, bassist with English group Sweet, who had the 1973 UK No.1 single 'Blockbuster', plus 14 other UK Top 40 singles. Sweet scored four top-ten hits in the US: 'Little Willy', 'Ballroom Blitz', 'Fox On The Run', and 'Love Is Like Oxygen'. He died on 4 June 2020 at the age of 72.

1952 - Brad Whitford
American musician Brad Whitford, guitarist with Aerosmith who scored the 1989 UK No.13 single 'Love In An Elevator'. They had the 1993 US No.1 & UK No.2 album Get A Grip and the 1998 US No. 1 & UK No. 4 single 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing', Aerosmith is the best-selling American hard rock band of all time, having sold more than 150 million records worldwide.

1955 - Howard Jones
English musician, singer and songwriter Howard Jones, who had the 1983 UK No.2 single 'What Is Love', plus 9 other UK Top 40 singles. His 1984 album Human's Lib spent over a year on the UK chart. He also scored the 1986 US No.4 single 'No One Is To Blame'. Jones has also been a member of Ringo Starr's All Star Band.

1955 - Zeke Manyika
Zeke Manyika, (born in Zimbabwe) drummer, vocalist and songwriter. With Orange Juice he had the 1983 UK No.8 single 'Rip It Up'. He also worked with The Style Council ('Speak Like a Child' and 'A Solid Bond in Your Heart') and later toured with Paul Weller.

1957 - Patrick Francfort
Patrick Francfort, singer with The Gibson Brothers who had success during the disco boom of the late 1970s. Their best known hit singles included 'Cuba' and 'Que Sera Mi Vida'. He died on 4 April 2020 from Covid-19 age 64.

1958 - David Sylvian
David Sylvian singer with British group Japan who had the 1982 UK 5 single 'Ghosts'. Sylvian also works as a solo artist.

1962 - Michael Wilton
Michael Wilton, American heavy metal and hard rock guitarist and songwriter, best known for being a lead and rhythm guitarist in the progressive metal band Queensrÿche, which he co-founded in 1982.

1963 - Rob Collins
Rob Collins, keyboards with British indie group The Charlatans who had the 1990 UK No.9 single 'The Only One I Know'. In 1992 Collins was arrested and charged with armed robbery on an off-licence near his home and was sentenced to 8 months imprisonment. Collins was killed in a car crash 23rd July 1996.

1967 - Chris Vrenna
Chris Vrenna, Grammy-winning producer, engineer, worked with Tweaker, Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, U2, Weezer, David Bowie, The Smashing Pumpkins, Hole, Marilyn Manson and the Japanese rock band Dir en grey.

1973 - Olaf Lasse Johansson
Olaf Lasse Johansson keyboards with Swedish rock band The Cardigans who had the 1997 UK No.2 single 'Lovefool' which was included in the soundtrack to the 1996 film Romeo + Juliet.

1986 - Skylar Grey
American singer, songwriter Skylar Grey. She co-wrote Eminem and Rihanna's hit single, 'Love the Way You Lie' and has written songs for Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera, Nick Jonas, Celine Dion and CeeLo Green. Her 2013 album Don't Look Down reached the top 10 on the US chart.

Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska

`This Day In Music History for this Wednesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1963 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones started a Sunday night residency at The Station Hotel, Richmond, Surrey. The Stones were paid £24 ($41) for the gig and played on the first night to a total of 66 people. £24 from 1963 would be worth £392, adjusted for inflation.

1965 - The Beatles
The first full day of filming took place for The Beatles movie Help! ' with the group riding bicycles on location near London Airport, England.

1968 - Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac released their debut studio album (also known as Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac), a mixture of blues covers and originals penned by guitarists Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer which peaked at No.4 on the UK chart and stayed on the charts 37 weeks. This is the only album by the band not to feature keyboardist, vocalist Christine McVie in any capacity.

1969 - Jimi Hendrix
The Jimi Hendrix Experience played their last ever-British performance when they appeared at the Royal Albert Hall.

1973 - Roberta Flack
Roberta Flack had her second US No.1 when 'Killing Me Softly With His Song', started a five-week run at the top of the charts. The song was written in collaboration with singer songwriter Lori Lieberman and was born of a poem she wrote after experiencing a strong reaction to the Don McLean song 'Empty Chairs.' Roberta Flack first heard the song during a flight. She performed it for the first time live when supporting Marvin Gaye who told her she had to recorded a version before playing it live again.

1973 - Byrds
The Byrds made their final live appearance when they played at The Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey. (The then-current incarnation of the Byrds, which included Roger McGuinn, Clarence White, John York and Gene Parsons).

1975 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin released their sixth album Physical Graffiti in the UK. Recording sessions had been disrupted when bassist and keyboard player John Paul Jones had proposed quitting the band, supposedly to become choirmaster at Winchester Cathedral, England, although in reality he just needed time to rest after Zeppelin's demanding tour schedule. The group decided on a double album so they could feature songs left over from their previous albums Led Zeppelin III, Led Zeppelin IV and Houses Of The Holy.

1976 - Eagles
The Eagles 'Greatest Hits' became the first album to be certified platinum by the R.I.A.A. New certification's represented sales of 1 million copies for albums and two million for singles.

1982 - The Police
The Police won best British group at the first annual Brit Awards held in London, Adam And The Ants won best album for 'Kings Of The Wild Frontier', Cliff Richard won British Male Solo Artist, Randy Crawford won British Female Solo Artist, British Breakthrough Act went to The Human League, British Producer was Martin Rushent and Outstanding Contribution went to John Lennon.

1982 - Quincy Jones
Winners at the Grammy Awards included John & Yoko Album of the year with 'Double Fantasy, Kim Carnes for Song of the year with 'Bette Davis Eyes', Quincy Jones won producer of the year and Sheena Easton best new act.

1990 - Johnnie Ray
American singer, songwriter, pianist Johnnie Ray died of liver failure at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles. He scored over 20 Top 40 singles between 1952 & 1960 including 1956 UK No.1 & US No.2 single, 'Just Walking In The Rain'. Dexys Midnight Runners' name checked Ray in the lyrics to their 1982 hit 'Come On Eileen'.

1992 - Kurt Cobain
Kurt Cobain married Courtney Love in Waikiki, Hawaii. The press reported that the couple were expecting a baby on Sept 10th of this year.

1997 - Gabrielle
The Spice Girls won best single with 'Wannabe' at this year's Brit Awards held in London. Other winners included, Best Group for Manic Street Preachers, Best Dance Act went to The Prodigy, George Michael won Best Male, Best Female went to Gabrielle, Best Newcomer was won by Kula Shaker, International Male was Beck, International Female Sheryl Crow and Best International Group was The Fugees.

2000 - Carlos Santana
Carlos Santana won eight awards at this years Grammy Awards for his Supernatural album. Before Supernatural, the guitarist had not had a Top 10 album since 1981. Sting won two awards, one for best pop album and another for best male pop vocalist. Sir Elton John won the legend award and Phil Collins the best soundtrack award for Tarzan.

2004 - Estelle Axton
Estelle Axton, who helped create the legendary US soul music label Stax, died in hospital in Memphis, aged 85. Stax was home to Otis Redding, Rufus Thomas, Isaac Hayes and Booker T and the MG's and the Stax studio, 'Soulsville USA', was second only to Motown in its production of soul hits during its 1960s heyday.

2009 - Duke Ellington
The United States Mint launched a new coin featuring American composer, pianist and bandleader Duke Ellington.

2010 - 50 Cent
50 Cent was being sued over claims he unlawfully distributed a homemade sex video. Lastonia Leviston filed legal action in Manhattan, saying she made the private video with a lover in 2008 and alleged that 50 Cent posted the video on his website last year after blurring out the lover's face - and editing himself into it as narrator.

2010 - Ramones
The personal assistant to former Ramones manager Linda Stein was convicted in a New York court of bludgeoning her boss to death at her Manhattan apartment on 30 October 2007. Prosecutors said Natavia Lowery, 28, stole more than $30,000 (£19,500) from Stein, then clubbed her with a piece of exercise equipment. Jurors spent less than a day reaching a second-degree murder verdict.

2010 - Prince
Promotions company MCD launched a $2.3 million lawsuit against Prince for pulling out of a concert in Dublin, Ireland in June, 2008, just ten days before it was to take place. The singer blamed the William Morris Agency for booking the event without permission, but the agency said the star cancelled the gig and gave "no reason of substance" for deciding to pull out.

2014 - Franny Beecher
Franny Beecher the lead guitarist for Bill Haley & His Comets from 1954 to 1962 died in his sleep from natural causes. He was 92 years old. He continued to perform with surviving members of the Comets into 2006.

2016 - Dolores O'Riordan
Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan was ordered to give 6,000 euros to charity after head-butting an Irish police officer. The artist was arrested at Shannon Airport in November 2014 when she was taken off a flight from New York after an alleged air rage incident. Medical reports given to the court showed she had been suffering mania and was mentally ill when then incident happened.

2020 - David Roback
American guitarist, songwriter and producer, David Roback best known as the founding member of the duo Mazzy Star died age 61 from metastatic cancer. The American alternative rock band formed in Santa Monica, California, in 1989 from remnants of the group Opal. They were best known for the song 'Fade into You' which brought the band some success in the mid-1990s and was the group's biggest mainstream hit.

End of post 1 of 2.

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1942 - Paul Jones
English singer, actor, harmonica player, radio personality and television presenter Paul Jones, from British group Manfred Mann who had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy. Jones is also a member of The Blues Band.

1944 - Nicky Hopkins
English pianist and organist Nicky Hopkins, who worked with The Rolling Stones, Jeff Beck, The Beatles, John Lennon, The Who and The Small Faces. Along with Ry Cooder, Mick Jagger, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts, Hopkins released the 1972 album Jamming with Edward! Hopkins died on 6 September 1994 age 50.

1947 - Rupert Holmes
British-American composer, singer-songwriter Rupert Holmes, who had the 1980 US No.1 & UK No. 23 single 'Escape, (The Pina Colada Song).

1947 - Lonnie Turner
Lonnie Turner, American bassist with the Steve Miller Band who had the 1974 US No.1 & 1990 UK No.1 single 'The Joker', the 1976 hit 'Fly Like an Eagle' and the 1982 US No.1 hit 'Abracadabra'.

1948 - Dennis Waterman
Dennis Waterman, British singer, actor who had the1980 UK No.3 single with the theme from UK TV show 'Minder', 'I Could Be So Good For You'.

1959 - Colin Farley
Colin Farley, British bassist with Cutting Crew who had the 1987 US No.1 & 1986 UK No.4 single 'I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight'.

1962 - Michelle Shocked
Michelle Shocked, American singer songwriter, 1988 single 'Anchorage'. She had the track 'Quality of Mercy' featured on the soundtrack for the film Dead Man Walking.

1973 - Chris Fehn
Chris Fehn, American musician, best known as one of the two custom percussionists of the Grammy Award-winning heavy metal band Slipknot.

1974 - Noah
American musician Noah "Wuv" Bernardo Jr, founding member of the multi-platinum selling, San Diego based band P.O.D.

1974 - Chad Hugo
American record producer, multi-instrumentalist, singer and songwriter Chad Hugo, one half of the music production and writing duo The Neptunes. His partner is Pharrell Williams, who has produced numerous No.1 hits for Mystikal, Jay-Z, *NSYNC, Britney Spears and Nelly.

1989 - Trace Cyrus
American musician Trace Cyrus the son of country singer Billy Ray Cyrus and brother of recording artists Miley Cyrus and Noah Cyrus. He is the backing vocalist and guitarist of the band Metro Station.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In History Of Music for this Thursday.

Post 1 of 2:

1956 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley had his first national hit when 'I Forgot To Remember To Forget' went to No.1 on the Billboard Country & Western chart. The Beatles covered this song once for the BBC radio show, From Us To You, on 1 May 1964, with George Harrison on lead vocals.

1957 - Buddy Holly
Buddy Holly recorded a new version of 'That'll Be The Day', at Norman Petty Recording Studio in Clovis, New Mexico. The title being taken from a phrase used by John Wayne in the film 'The Searchers.'

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles finished recording their next single 'Can't Buy Me Love', at Abbey Road studios, London, (they had first recorded the song on 29 January 1964 at Path Marconi Studios in Paris). They also recorded the B-side, 'You Can't Do That' and another new song 'I Should Have Known Better'.

1967 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd appeared at the Ricky Tick Club, Hounslow, England. The Yardbirds were filmed performing in a re-creation of the club built at MGM Studios in Borehamwood for Michelangelo Antonioni's 1966 film Blowup.

1972 - Paul McCartney
Written after the 'Bloody Sunday Massacre', in Northern Ireland Paul McCartney and Wings released 'Give Ireland Back To The Irish.' The song was banned by the BBC and the IBA. It peaked at No.16 in the UK and No.21 in the US.

1972 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin appeared in front of over 25,000 fans at the Western Springs Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand, the group's first ever gig in New Zealand, (and the largest crowd ever to attend a concert on the island). A special train was chartered from Wellington to bring fans to the concert. News reviews the next day reported the band could be heard over five miles from the Stadium.

1977 - The Jam
The Jam signed to Polydor Records UK for £6,000 ($10,200). They went on to have 18 consecutive Top 40 singles in the UK, from their debut in 1977 to their break-up in December 1982, including four No.1 hits. As of 2007, 'That's Entertainment' and 'Just Who Is the 5 O'clock Hero?' remained the best-selling import singles of all time in the UK.

1981 - Bob Seger
Winners at this year's Grammy Awards included Bob Seger who won Best Rock performance for 'Against The Wind', Pat Benatar won Best female performance for 'Crimes Of Passion' and Christopher Cross won Best new artist and Best song for 'Sailing.'

1984 - Van Halen
'Jump', by Van Halen started a five-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart, (a No.7 hit in the UK). Singer David Lee Roth wrote the lyrics after seeing a television news report about a man who was threatening to commit suicide by jumping off a high building. Roth thought that one of the onlookers of such a scene would probably shout "go ahead and jump".

1989 - Simple Minds
Simple Minds were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Belfast Child.' At 6 minutes 39 seconds it became the second-longest running No.1 after The Beatles ‘Hey Jude’.

1995 - Frank Sinatra
At a private party for 1,200 select guests on the closing night of the Frank Sinatra Desert Classic golf tournament, Frank Sinatra sang before a live audience for the very last time. His closing song was 'The Best is Yet to Come'.

1995 - Madonna
Madonna started a seven week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Take A Bow', the track which was co-written with Babyface became a No.16 hit in the UK.

1998 - Ol Dirty **ahem**
At Radio City Music Hall, Bob Dylan was handed three Grammys, including one for Best Album for 'Time Out Of Mind'. During Dylan's performance of the song, Michael Portnoy, hired as a background dancer, ripped his shirt off and jumped in amongst the band, revealing the words 'Soy Bomb' painted on his chest. Also in the evening, during Shawn Colvin's acceptance speech, Ol Dirty **ahem** grabbed the microphone and made various observations such as "Puffy is good, but Wu-Tang is the best" and "Wu-Tang is for the children". He was then escorted from the stage.

2000 - Spice Girls
The five original Spice Girls were facing a bill of up to £1 million ($1.7 million) after losing a legal battle against the sponsors of their 1988 world tour. The Aprilia Scoter Company had claimed the girls knew of Geri's impending departure.

2004 - Bruce Springsteen
The Rolling Stones topped a US Rich List of music's biggest money makers. The list was based on earnings during 2003 when the band played their 'Forty Licks' tour, which made them $212 million, (£124.7m) in ticket, CD, DVD and merchandise sales. The three million fans who went to the shows spent an average of $11 (£6.47) each on merchandise. Bruce Springsteen was listed in second place and the Eagles in third.

2006 - George Michael
George Michael was found slumped over in a car in Hyde Park, London. A concerned person spotted the singer and called police who after being checked by paramedics was arrested on suspicion of possessing drugs and then released on bail. Michael made a public statement about the incident and said "I was in possession of class C drugs which is an offense and I have no complaints about the police who were professional throughout." He also said that the event was "my own stupid fault, as usual."

2009 - Stevie Wonder
President Obama honoured Stevie Wonder his musical hero, with America's highest award for pop music, the Library of Congress' Gershwin prize at a ceremony at the White House. The president said the Motown legend had been the soundtrack to his youth and he doubted that his wife would have married him if he hadn't been a fan. Wonder's song 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered' had been the theme song during Obama's presidential campaign.

End of post 1 of 2.
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2009 - NME Awards
Winners at the 2009 NME Awards, held at London's O2 Academy included Oasis who won best British band, Elbow won the outstanding contribution to British music award. The Killers won best international band and Kings of Leon won best album for "Only by the Night" and The Cure won the godlike genius award.

2011 - Susan 'Suze' Rotolo
Susan 'Suze' Rotolo, died from lung cancer. She was the one time girlfriend of Bob Dylan, and the inspiration of some of his early songs. Susan appeared in one of the decade's signature images, walking with Dylan arm-in-arm for the cover photo of his breakthrough album Freewheelin Bob Dylan.

2015 - George Harrison
On what would have been George Harrison's 72nd birthday, a new tree was planted in his memory in Griffith Park Los Angeles to replace one that was earlier killed by a beetle infestation. This new yew tree had been chosen to replace the original, as it was far less susceptible to insects.

2017 - Rag'n'Bone Man
British singer and songwriter Rag'n'Bone Man was at number one on the UK album chart with his debut studio album Human, which became the fastest-selling debut album by a male artist during the 2010s. The album also reached number one in Belgium, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, Ireland and Switzerland.

2019 - Mark Hollis
Mark Hollis, English musician and singer-songwriter died age 64. He achieved commercial success and critical acclaim in the 1980s and 1990s as the co-founder, lead singer and principal songwriter of the band Talk Talk. Hollis wrote or co-wrote most of Talk Talk's music, including hits like 'It's My Life' (1984) and 'Life's What You Make It' (1986).

2019 - Kenneth Pitt
British publicist and talent manager Kenneth Pitt died age 96. He managed the career of musicians including David Bowie in the late 1960s (Pitt managed Bowie at the time of his first hit, ‘Space Oddity’ in 1969), and was responsible for publicizing American musicians and bands touring the UK, including Frank Sinatra, Duke Ellington, and Jerry Lee Lewis.

1937 - Don Randi
American keyboard player, bandleader and songwriter Don Randi. He was a member of the Wrecking Crew, as well as releasing his own jazz records. In the early 1960s, he was a major contributor, as musician and arranger, to record producer Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. He also played piano on 'These Boots Are Made For Walkin'', and every album by Nancy Sinatra. He played on The Beach Boys 'Good Vibrations' and has appeared on over three hundred hit records, working with musicians such as Linda Ronstadt, Quincy Jones, Herb Alpert, Sarah Vaughan and Frank Zappa.

1938 - Ed Cobb
American musician, songwriter, and record producer, Ed Cobb, who was a member of the Four Preps. His greatest claim to fame was that he wrote the northern soul hit ‘Tainted Love’ for Gloria Jones, which Soft Cell reworked into one of the biggest pop hits of the 1980s. He died on September 19, 1999.

1943 - George Harrison
George Harrison guitarist and vocalist with The Beatles The all-time bestselling album in the UK is The Beatles’ 'Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band', with over 4.5 million copies sold. Harrison wrote the 1969 US No.1 & UK No.4 Beatles single ’Something’. As a solo artist he had the 1971 US No.1 album 'All Things Must Pass' and the 1970 worldwide No.1 single ‘My Sweet Lord’. He was also a member of the Traveling Wilburys with Tom Petty and Bob Dylan. Harrison died of cancer on November 29th 2001 age 58.

1947 - Doug Yule
American musician and singer Doug Yule, most notable for being a member of the Velvet Underground from 1968 to 1973. Yule joined the band (then consisting of Reed, Morrison and Maureen Tucker) as John Cale's replacement.

1948 - Elkie Brooks
Elkie Brooks, (Elaine Bookbinder), English singer who had the 1977 UK No.8 single 'Pearl's A Singer'. Brooks was also a member of Vinegar Joe with Robert Palmer.

1950 - Emitt Rhodes
American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and recording engineer Emitt Rhodes. He was a member of The Palace Guard as the group's drummer before joining The Merry-Go-Round as a multi-instrumentalist. He worked as a recording engineer and record producer for Elektra Records. He died on 19 July 2020 age 70.

1953 - Reggie Lucas
Reggie Lucas, American musician, songwriter and record producer. Lucas is best known for having produced the majority of Madonna's 1983 self-titled debut album, and for playing with the Miles Davis electric band of the first half of the 1970s. Lucas died on 19 May 2018.

1953 - John Doe
American singer, songwriter, actor John Doe who co-founded LA punk band X. In addition to X, Doe performs with the country-folk-punk band the Knitters and has released records as a solo artist.

1957 - Stewart Wood
Stewart Wood from Scottish group Bay City Rollers who had the 1975 UK No.1 single 'Bye Bye Baby' plus 11 other UK Top 20 singles' and the 1976 US No.1 single 'Saturday Night'.

1957 - Dennis Diken
American drummer Dennis Diken who co-founded American rock band The Smithereens, (hits in the late 1980s and early 1990s, including "Only a Memory", "A Girl Like You" and "Too Much Passion"). Diken has also played drums for former Kinks guitarist Dave Davies' solo band.

1959 - Mike Peters
Mike Peters, Welsh musician who with The Alarm had a 1983 UK No.17 single '68 Guns'. After the band split up in 1991, Peters wrote and released solo work and later became a member of Dead Men Walking with Kirk Brandon, (ex Spear Of Destiny), Slim Jim Phantom, (Stray Cats), Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols) and Bruce Watson (Big Country). Between 2011 and 2013, Peters was the vocalist for Big Country. Additionally, he is co-founder of the Love Hope Strength Foundation. Peters was awarded a MBE in the 2019 New Year Honours for services to cancer care.

1965 - Brian Baker
American punk rock musician Brian Baker best known as one of the founding members of the hardcore punk band Minor Threat, and as a guitarist in Bad Religion since 1994.

1971 - Daniel Powter
Daniel Powter, Canadian singer, songwriter who had the 2005 UK No.2 single 'Bad Day'. The song had been featured in a Coca-Cola ad campaign in Europe. In 2006, Powter won in the New Artist of the Year category at the Canadian Juno Awards.

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing, @MOHLovesAlaska. Still love reading these daily! 

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

Good Friday morning, so here is what happened on this date in "This Day In Music History". 

Post 1 of 2:

1955 - Billboard
Billboard reported that for the first time since their introduction in 1949, 45rpm singles were outselling the old standard 78's.

1958 - Perry Como
Perry Como was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Magic Moments' the second No.1 in a row for writers Burt Bacharach and Hal David. It stayed at No.1 for eight weeks.

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles worked on the final mixes for 'Can't Buy Me Love' and 'You Can't Do That' tracks. The single, which was released the following month, topped the charts all over the world and 'Can't Buy Me Love' became the Beatles' fourth UK No.1 and their third single to sell over a million copies in the UK.

1965 - Jimmy Page
Jimmy Page released a solo single called 'She Just Satisfies' in the UK. Page played all the instruments on it except for the drums, and produced the track, as well as singing lead vocals.

1966 - Nancy Sinatra
Nancy Sinatra went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'These Boots Are Made For Walking'. The song which was written by Lee Hazelwood intended to record the song himself, but Sinatra talked him out of it, saying that.

1969 - Peter Sarstedt
Peter Sarstedt started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Where Do You Go To My Lovely?' Some say the song was written about the Italian star Sophia Loren, but Peter Sarstedt has stated he wrote the song about a girl he fell madly in love with in Vienna in 1965, who later died in a hotel fire.

1977 - Eagles
The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'New Kid in Town', the group's third US No.1, which was also a No.20 hit n the UK. The single written by Don Henley, Glenn Frey and J.D. Souther was released as the first single from their fifth album Hotel California.

1979 - Malcolm McLaren
During a court case between the Sex Pistols and their manager Malcolm McLaren it was revealed that only £30,000 ($51,000) was left of the £800,000 ($1,360,000) the band had earned.

1980 - Rob Partridge
After seeing U2 play at Dublin's National Boxing Stadium in front of 2,400 people; Rob Partridge and Bill Stewart from Island Records in the UK offered the band a recording contract.

1983 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson's Thriller went to No.1 on the US album chart. Thriller broke racial barriers in pop music, enabling Jackson's appearances on MTV and meeting with President Ronald Reagan at the White House. The album was one of the first to use music videos as successful promotional tools, and the videos for the songs 'Thriller', 'Billie Jean', and 'Beat It' all received regular rotation on MTV. Thriller became the most successful album of all time with sales over 65 million copies.

1987 - The Beatles
The first five The Beatles albums, Please Please Me, With the Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Beatles for Sale and Help! were released on Compact disc. Capitol Records decided to release the original UK mixes of the Beatles albums, (the first four CDs were released in mono). This marked the first time that many of these mono mixes were available in the US.

1997 - Ben Raleigh
American songwriter Ben Raleigh died in a fire in his kitchen after setting fire to his bathrobe while cooking. He co-wrote 'Scooby Doo Where Are You' and 'Tell Laura I Love Her.'

2001 - Eminem
Winners at the Brit Awards included Coldplay, Best British group and Best British album for 'Parachutes', Robbie Williams, Best British Male artist and Best single for 'Rock DJ', Sonique, Best British Female artist, Best Dance act went to Fat Boy Slim, A1 won Best British Newcomer, Westlife won Best Pop act, Eminem won Best International Male solo artist and U2 won Outstanding contribution to music.

2008 - Busted
Two original members of UK boy band Busted went to court, claiming an estimated £10m in unpaid royalties. Ki McPhail and Owen Doyle claimed they wrote songs with James Bourne and Matt Willis when the group formed in 2001, but said they were forced to sign away their rights after "threats" when they were sacked from the band later that year. The songs include 'Year 3000' and 'What I Go To School For', which went on to be hits for the group.

2009 - The Beatles
A 10-minute version of The Beatles 'Revolution 1' was leaked onto the internet, giving fans a never-before-heard listen of what The White Album sessions must have been like. Only two copies of the take were made when the song was completed on June 4th, 1968. One copy left the studio with Lennon that day and the other remained behind. It was unclear which copy appeared on the bootleg, nor how anyone acquired it.

2014 - Tim Lambesis
Tim Lambesis, the singer for US metal band As I Lay Dying, pleaded guilty to attempting to hire an undercover agent to murder his estranged wife. He was arrested in May 2013 after prosecutors said he met a sheriff's deputy posing as a hit man, called Red, and handed over $1,000 (£600) along with his wife's address and front door security code.

2015 - Paul McCartney
The childhood home of former Beatle Paul McCartney sold for £150,000 ($231,000) at an auction in Liverpool. McCartney moved into the house, in Western Avenue, Speke, aged four with his parents Jim and Mary in 1947, and lived in the three-bedroom house for six years.

2019 - Andy Anderson
English drummer Andy Anderson died of cancer aged 68. He is best known for his work with The Cure playing on the singles ‘Love Cats’ and ‘The Caterpillar’. He also worked with many other artists including Steve Hillage, Edwyn Collins, Mike Oldfield, The Gun Club and Peter Gabriel.

End of post 1 of 2.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1928 - Fats Domino
Fats Domino, (Antoine Domino), singer, pianist, bandleader, songwriter. Domino attracted national attention with his first recording, ‘The Fat Man’, made in late 1949 for Imperial Records, an early rock-and-roll record. ‘The Fat Man’ sold one million copies by 1953 and it is widely considered the first rock-and-roll record to achieve this feat. Domino had 35 records in the US Billboard Top 40. Domino died on 24 October 2017 aged 89 at his home in Harvey, Louisiana after a long-term illness.

1932 - Johnny Cash
Johnny Cash US country singer, songwriter who was considered one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century. Although he is remembered as a country icon, his songs spanned other genres including rock and roll and rockabilly and blues, folk, and gospel. This crossover appeal won Cash the rare honour of induction in the Country Music Hall of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Gospel Music Hall of Fame. During the last stage of his career, Cash covered songs by several late 20th-century rock artists, most notably 'Hurt' by Nine Inch Nails. Cash died of respiratory failure on September 12th 2003, aged 71.

1943 - Paul Cotton
Paul Cotton, American guitarist and singer-songwriter, most notable as a member of the band Poco and as the writer of the international hit song from that band, 'Heart of the Night'.

1945 - Mitch Ryder
Mitch Ryder, American musician, who has recorded more than 25 albums over more than four decades. Ryder formed his first band, Tempest, when he was at High School, and the group gained some notoriety playing at a Detroit soul music club called The Village. Ryder next appeared fronting a band named Billy Lee & The Riviera's, which had limited success until they met songwriter / record producer Bob Crewe. Crewe renamed the group Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels, and they recorded several hit records in the mid to late 1960s, most notably 'Devil with a Blue Dress On'.

1945 - Bob Hite
Bob The Bear Hite, vocalist and harmonica player with Canned Heat who had the 1968 US No.11 single with ‘Going Up The Country’ and a 1970 UK No.2 single with ‘Let’s Work Together’. He died on April 5th 1981.

1947 - Sandie Shaw
Sandie Shaw, British singer who had the 1964 UK No.1 single 'There's Always Something There To Remind Me', plus 15 other UK Top 40 singles. Shaw was the first UK act to win the Eurovision Song Contest with her 1967 song 'Puppet On A String.'

1950 - Jonathan Cain
American musician, singer, and songwriter Jonathan Cain, best known for his work with The Babys, Journey, and Bad English.

1953 - Michael Bolton
Michael Bolton, American singer who had the 1990 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'How Am I Supposed To Live Without You'.

1958 - Steve Grant
Steve Grant, singer with Tight Fit who had the 1982 UK No.1 single 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'.

1960 - Jaz Coleman
English musician, composer, singer-songwriter and record producer, Jaz Coleman, lead vocalist with Killing Joke.

1968 - Tim Commerford
Tim Commerford, bassist with Rage Against The Machine who had the 1996 US No.1 album Evil Empire. Also a member of Audioslave who had the 2005 US No.1 album Out of Exile.

1971 - Erykah Badu
Erykah Badu, US female singer who had the 1997 UK No.12 single 'On & On', and the 2001 UK No.23 single with Macy Gray, 'Sweet Baby'.

1971 - Max Martin
Max Martin, Swedish music producer and songwriter. Martin has produced hits for the Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC, Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson, Adele, Bon Jovi, Taylor Swift, Ellie Goulding and Pink. In addition he has written or co-written 22 Billboard Hot 100 No.1 hits, most of which he has also produced or co-produced, including Katy Perry's ‘I Kissed a Girl’, Maroon 5's ‘One More Night’, Taylor Swift's ‘Blank Space’ and The Weekend's ‘Can't Feel My Face’. Martin is the songwriter with the third-most No.1 singles on the chart, behind only Paul McCartney (32) and John Lennon (26).

1979 - Corinne Bailey Rae
Corinne Bailey Rae, UK singer, songwriter who had the 2006 UK No. 2 single ‘Put Your Records On', and the 2006 self-titled UK No.1 album. She is only the fourth female British act in history to have her first album debut at No.1 on the UK chart.

1982 - Nate Ruess
American singer-songwriter Nate Ruess, lead vocalist of Fun. Nate featured on Pink's 2013 US No.1 hit 'Just Give Me a Reason'

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Saturday.

Post 1 of 2:

1964 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones made their second appearance on BBC TV show Top Of The Pops performing their latest single 'Not Fade Away'.

1964 - Cilla Black
21 year-old former hairdresser and cloakroom attendant at The Cavern Club, Cilla Black was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Anyone Who Had A Heart.' Written by Bacharach and David it was Black's first UK No.1. Also this week's UK Top Ten was the first ever to feature only UK acts.

1967 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd continued working on their debut album The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn at Abbey Road Studios, London. With the exception of two group-composed instrumentals and one Roger Waters song, the album was written entirely by Syd Barrett.

1968 - Frankie Lymon
25 year old Frankie Lymon, lead singer of The Teenagers, died of a heroin overdose in his grandmother's New York home. Lymon was on leave from a Georgia Army post at the time and was scheduled to record for Roulette Records the next day. He first hit the national charts in 1956 when he was just 13 with 'Why Do Fools Fall in Love'.

1971 - Janis Joplin
Five months after her death, Janis Joplin started a nine-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with her second and final solo studio album Pearl. Joplin sang on all tracks except 'Buried Alive in the Blues', which remained a Full Tilt Boogie instrumental because she died before adding her vocals.

1972 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin appeared at Sydney Showgrounds, Sydney in Australia, over 25,000 fans attending the show. Jimmy Page appeared clean shaven having shaved of the beard he had grown since the summer of 1970.

1977 - Keith Richards
Keith Richards was arrested at Toronto’s Harbor Castle Hotel, after an ounce of heroin was found following a raid of his hotel room by 15 Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Richards, who was charged with possession with intent to traffic, faced seven years to life in prison. Bail was set at $25,000 (£14,705).

1980 - Billy Joel
Winners at the Grammy Awards included: song of the year, 'What A Fool Believes', The Doobie Brothers, album of the year, Billy Joel's '52nd St', best new artist, Rickie Lee Jones, best disco record, 'I Will Survive' Gloria Gaynor.

1988 - George Michael
George Michael scored his sixth No.1 US single with 'Father Figure' a No. 11 hit in the UK - the first time Michael had failed to reach the top ten in his home country.

1991 - James Brown
James Brown was paroled after spending two years of a six-year prison sentence, imposed for resisting arrest after a car chase across two States.

1993 - The Orlons
Marlena Davis of The Orlons lost a battle with lung cancer aged 48. The Orlons who formed in the late 1950s had five US Top 20 hits in the Sixties including ‘The Wah Watusi’, ‘Don't Hang Up’ and ‘South Street’. The Orlons provided back-up vocals on Dee Dee Sharp's 1962 hit ‘Mashed Potato Time’ and Dee Dee Sharp's second hit, ‘Gravy (For My Mashed Potatoes)’.

1993 - Whitney Houston
After 14 weeks at No.1 on the US singles chart, 'I Will Always Love You', gave Whitney Houston the longest ever US chart topper, taking over from Boyz II Men's hit 'End Of The Road', and became the second biggest selling single in the US.

1999 - Britney Spears
Britney Spears started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with '...Baby One More Time'. It became the biggest UK selling single of the year and also a No.1 in the US. It was originally written for TLC but the song was submitted after completion of their third record, FanMail.

2004 - Michael Jackson
A worker in a supermarket in Aspen, Colorado alerted the police-after seeing a man shopping with his face covered by a mask. Police arrived on the scene and identified the man as Michael Jackson who was in town on holiday with his children.

2007 - Bobby Brown
Bobby Brown was sentenced to 30 days in jail over $19,000 (£9,670) in unpaid child support. An arrest warrant was issued in October 2006 after he failed to show up at a hearing on overdue child support for Kim Ward, the mother of two of his children.

2010 - U2
U2 raked in more money than any other music act in the US in 2009 making $109m (£71m) from touring, record sales and other royalties, almost twice as much as the second best, Bruce Springsteen who took home $58m (£38m), followed by Madonna with $47m (£31m) and AC/DC with $44m (£29m). Coldplay were the most successful British group, at number eight, with takings of $27m (£18m).

2015 - Madonna
Madonna said she suffered whiplash as a result of her "nightmare" accident at the 2015 Brit Awards. The 56-year-old was pulled backwards off stage by a cape, which was supposed to fall from her shoulders causing the singer to fall down a flight of steps.

2019 - Doug Sandom
English drummer Doug Sandom died one day after his 89th birthday. He was the first drummer for the rock band The Who. No recordings with Sandom playing with the band were ever released.

End of post 1 of 2. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1910 - Winifred Atwell
Trinidadian pianist Winifred Atwell who enjoyed great popularity in Britain and Australia from the 1950s with a series of boogie-woogie and ragtime hits, selling over 20 million records. She was the first black person to have a No.1 hit in the UK Singles Chart (with the 1954 'Let's Have Another Party') and is still the only female instrumentalist to do so. She died on 28 February 1983 age 69.

1927 - Guy Mitchell
American singer Guy Mitchell. Successful in his homeland the UK and Australia he sold 44 million records, including six million-selling singles. His biggest hit, ‘Singing the Blues', was No.1 for 10 weeks in 1956. At age 11 Mitchell was signed by Warner Brothers Pictures, to be a child star, and performed on the radio on KFWB in Los Angeles, California. Mitchell died on July 1st 1999.

1947 - Louis Clark
British musical arranger and keyboard player Louis Clark. He was the conductor of the orchestra and choir hired to back Electric Light Orchestra's sound, introduced on their album Eldorado in 1974. and arranged string arrangements for the studio albums Eldorado, Face the Music, A New World Record, Out of the Blue, Discovery and Xanadu.

1948 - Eddie Gray
Eddie Gray from American rock band, Tommy James & The Shondells who had the 1966 US No.1 single 'Hanky Panky', the 1968 UK No.1 single 'Mony Mony' and the hit 'I Think We're Alone Now'.

1950 - Robert Balderrama
Robert Balderrama, from American group ? & The Mysterians who had the 1966 US No. 1 & UK No.37 single '96 Tears'. (which was also a UK No.17 hit for The Stranglers in 1990).

1951 - Steve Harley
English singer and songwriter Steve Harley best known as the frontman with Cockney Rebel who had the 1975 UK No.1 single 'Make Me Smile, (Come Up And See Me') as well as hits with 'Mr Soft' and 'Judy Teen'. Harley has released over five solo albums and has also worked as a radio presenter.

1954 - Neal Schon
American rock guitarist, songwriter, and vocalist, Neal Schon with Journey who had the 1982 US No.2 single 'Open Arms'. Schon was also a member of Santana, who had the 1977 UK No.11 single 'She's Not There'.

1955 - Gary Christian
Gary Christian, singer with English group The Christians who had the 1988 UK No.8 single 'Harvest For The World'. The name of the band refers to the surname of the three brothers that were originally in the line-up.

1957 - Adrian Smith
Adrian Smith, guitarist with English heavy metal band Iron Maiden, who had the 1982 UK No.1 album The Number Of The Beast, and the 1991 UK No.1 single 'Bring Your Daughter ...To The Slaughter'. Iron Maiden have sold over 100 million copies of their albums worldwide.

1960 - Johnny Roy Van Zant
Johnny Roy Van Zant, American musician and the current lead vocalist of Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd. He is the younger brother of the late Lynyrd Skynyrd co-founder and former lead vocalist Ronnie Van Zant and of the 38 Special founder Donnie Van Zant.

1960 - Paul Humphreys
Paul Humphreys, keyboards and vocals with Liverpool duo Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark who released their debut single, 'Electricity, in 1979, and gained popularity throughout Europe with the 1980 anti-war song 'Enola Gay'.

1964 - Derek McKenzie
Derek McKenzie from British group The Shamen who had the 1992 UK No.1 single 'Ebeneezer Goode'.

1964 - Ewan Venal
Ewan Venal, from Scottish group Deacon Blue who had the 1988 UK No.8 single 'Real Gone Kid' plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles.

1971 - Rozonda Thomas
Rozonda Thomas, Chilli, singer with American girl group TLC. They scored nine top-ten hits on the Billboard Hot 100, including four No.1 singles, 'Creep', 'Waterfalls', 'No Scrubs', and 'Unpretty'. Their 1999 US No.1 album Fanmail spent 57 weeks on the UK chart. Having sold over 65 million records worldwide, TLC is the best-selling American girl group.

1973 - Peter Andre
Peter Andre, singer and former actor and reality TV star who had the 1996 UK No.1 single 'I Feel You', and the 1996 UK No. 1 album 'Natural'.

1981 - Josh Groban
Josh Groban, US singer, who had the 2002 US No.7 & UK No.28 album ‘Josh Groban’ and the 2004 US No.1 album 'Closer'. Groban was America's top selling artist of 2007.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Sunday. 

Post 1 of 2:

1966 - The Beatles
Police were called after over a 100 music fans barricaded themselves inside Liverpool's Cavern Club to protest at the clubs closure. The club had run up debts of over £10,000. The Beatles made a total of 292 appearances at The Cavern Club, their final performance at the club was on 3 August 1963.

1970 - David Bowie
Billed as David Bowie's New Electric Band (so new they haven't got a name yet), played at the Basildon Arts Lab experimental music club at the Basildon Arts Centre in Essex, England. Also on the bill were High Tide, Overson and Iron Butterfly.

1970 - Peter Green
In an interview with the New Musical Express, Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green talked about his plans to give all his money away. The following year Green confronted his accountant with a gun after he sent him an unwanted royalty check. The guitarist went to jail briefly before being transferred to an asylum and was committed to a mental hospital in 1973. He re- launched his career in the 90s.

1970 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin played a gig in Copenhagen as The Nobs after Eva Von Zeppelin a relative of the airship designer threatened to sue if the family name was used in Denmark.

1970 - Simon and Garfunkel
Simon and Garfunkel started a six week run at the top of the US singles chart with 'Bridge Over Troubled Water', also No.1 in the UK in March the same year. It became one of the most performed songs of the twentieth century, with over 50 artists, among them Elvis Presley and Aretha Franklin, covering the song.

1974 - Bobby Bloom
Singer songwriter Bobby Bloom shot himself dead in the head at his Hollywood apartment aged 28. Bloom had the 1970 US No.8 & UK No.3 single 'Montego Bay'.

1976 - Paul Simon
Paul Simon's 'Still Crazy After All These Years' was named Best Pop Vocal Performance and Album Of The Year at the 18th annual Grammy Awards. In his acceptance speech, Simon told the audience "I'd like to thank Stevie Wonder for not releasing an album this year."

1977 - Ray Charles
Ray Charles was attacked onstage by a man who tried to strangle him with a microphone cord. The man was a member of a group called Project Heavy, a community program for disadvantaged youths. They promised that the matter would be handled within the organization and no charges were laid.

1981 - Eddie Rabbitt
Country music star Eddie Rabbitt crossed over to the Pop chart to score a US No.1 hit with 'I Love a Rainy Night'. He had earlier written the Elvis Presley smash 'Kentucky Rain' before having a No.5 hit with 'Drivin' My Life Away'. Although it sounds like he made up a stage name, his real name is Edward Thomas Rabbitt.

1983 - Bono
U2 released their third studio album War. Produced by Steve Lillywhite, the album has come to be regarded as U2's first overtly political album, in part because of songs like 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' and 'New Year's Day.' War became the band's first No.1 album in the UK (knocking Michael Jackson's Thriller from the top of the charts). The boy on the cover of the album is Peter Rowen (the brother of Bono's friend, Guggi from The Virgin Prunes).

1984 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson won a record eight Grammy awards including: Album of the year for Thriller; Record of the year and Best rock vocal performance for 'Beat It'; Best pop vocal performance, Best R&B performance and Best R&B song for 'Billie Jean', and Best Recording For Children for E.T The Extra Terrestrial.

1985 - David Byron
David Byron, singer with Uriah Heep died from an epileptic fit and liver disease aged 38. Byron was the original singer of the English band between 1969 and 1976 and gained a reputation with his operatic vocals and harmonies as one of the best rock vocalists and frontmen in the world.

1986 - George Michael
George Michael announced that Wham! would officially split during the summer. Wham became one of the most successful pop acts of the 1980s, selling more than 30 million records worldwide from 1982 to 1986. The singles 'Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go', 'Everything She Wants' and 'Careless Whisper', all topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the US.

1989 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan recorded the first sessions for the Oh Mercy album at The Studio, New Orleans, Louisiana. What became Dylan's 26th studio album, released by Columbia Records in September 1989 was produced by Daniel Lanois.

1994 - Eric Clapton
Eric Clapton played his 100th performance at London's Royal Albert Hall, in aid of the 'Children In Crisis', charity.

1996 - Alanis Morissette
Grammy award winners included Alanis Morissette who won album of the year for Jagged Little Pill, best female rock vocal & best song for 'You Oughta Know', Nirvana's 'Unplugged won best alternative album and Coolio best rap performance with 'Gangsta's Paradise.'

1997 - Suge Knight
Death Row Records boss Marion 'Suge' Knight was sentenced to nine years in prison for violating his probation for a 1995 assault conviction. Under US law, Knight would not be allowed to run Death Row Records while in prison.

2005 - Chris Curtis
Chris Curtis, drummer with The Searchers died aged 63 after a long illness. The searchers scored the 1964 UK No.1 single 'Needles And Pins', and the 1964 US No.3 single 'Love Potion Number Nine'.

2006 - Kanye West
Two stewards were shot during a concert by rapper Kanye West at the NEC in Birmingham, England. Police said the shootings took place after people who tried to gain entrance without tickets were escorted from the arena. A man, who had no ticket, entered the foyer and was ejected, he then returned and shot at the stewards, one was in a serious condition after being shot in the face.

2008 - Boy George
Boy George pleaded not guilty to falsely imprisoning a male escort by chaining him to a wall. The singer and DJ was also accused of assaulting Audun Carlsen during the alleged incident on 28 April 2007. He was released on bail until a trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court in November.

2008 - Arctic Monkeys
Arctic Monkeys won three prizes, including best British band at this year's NME Awards held at the O2 in London. The band's single 'Fluorescent Adolescent' won them best track and they won best video for 'Teddy Picker'. Best album went to Klaxons for Myths of the Near Future while Kate Nash won best solo artist. Muse were presented with the best live band award and US group The Killers took best international act. The Manic Street Preachers, who performed at the ceremony, were awarded the NME's Godlike Genius honour and Babyshambles frontman Pete Doherty was voted hero of the year. Britney Spears's Blackout was voted worst album and The Hoosiers were named worst band.

2008 - Jimi Hendrix
Drummer Buddy Miles, who played with Jimi Hendrix in his last regular group, Band of Gypsys, died aged 60 at his home in Austin, Texas after struggling with a long-term illness. Born George Allen Miles in Omaha, Nebraska, Buddy's nickname was a tribute to his idol, jazz drummer Buddy Rich. Rich also played with The Delfonics, The Ink Spots, Wilson Pickett, Electric Flag, Stevie Wonder, David Bowie, Muddy Waters and Barry White. In the 1980s, he achieved a certain amount of notoriety in the US as the vocalist on the celebrated Claymation California Raisins commercials.

2010 - Tom
Tom "Bone" Wolk, who played bass for nearly 30 years with Daryl Hall and John Oates died of an apparent heart attack at the age of 58. He had also recorded with Carly Simon, Jellyfish, Squeeze, Elvis Costello, Shawn Colvin and Billy Joel over the course of his career.

2016 - Adele
Adele was at No.1 on the UK and US album chart with her third studio album 25. The album was a massive commercial success, debuting at No.1 in more than 25 markets. 25 received the BRIT Award for British Album of the Year and also won the 2017 Grammy Awards for Album of the Year, and Best Pop Vocal Album.

2019 - André Previn
German-American pianist, composer, arranger, and conductor André Previn died at home in Manhattan at the age of 89. He is best known for arranging and composing Hollywood film scores for over 50 films over his entire career. He won four Academy Awards for his film work and ten Grammy Awards for his recordings.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1927 - Don Helms
Don Helms, American steel guitarist best known as the steel guitar player in Hank Williams' Drifting Cowboys. Helms was a featured musician on over 100 Hank Williams recordings and went on to play on many classic country hits, including Patsy Cline's 'Walking After Midnight,' and Loretta Lynn’s 'Blue Kentucky Girl.' He died on 11 August 2008 age 81.

1941 - Marty Sanders
American guitarist and singer Marty Sanders from Jay and the Americans, who had the 1962 hit with 'She Cried' and the 1969 US No.6 single 'This Magic Moment'.

1942 - Brian Jones
English musician and composer Brian Jones, best known as the founder and original leader of The Rolling Stones. Jones placed an advertisement in Jazz News of 2 May 1962 inviting musicians to audition for a new R&B group. Jones came up with the name the Rollin' Stones while on the phone with a venue owner, who asked 'What are you called?' Jones saw a copy of The Best Of Muddy Waters lying on the floor - and track one was Rollin' Stone Blues. When Jones developed alcohol and drug problems, and he became increasingly unreliable, the Stones dismissed him in June 1969. Jones died on 3 July 1969, after drowning in his swimming pool.

1942 - Joe South
Joe South, American singer, songwriter who had the 1969 US No.12 & UK No.6 single 'Games People Play'. South started his career in July 1958 with the novelty hit ‘The Purple People Eater Meets the Witch Doctor’. He wrote ‘Rose Garden’, which was first released by Billy Joe Royal in 1967 and later became a 1970 hit for country music singer Lynn Anderson. South worked with Bob Dylan, (Blonde on Blonde), Simon And Garfunkel, (Sounds of Silence) and Aretha Franklin, (‘Chain of Fools’). He died of heart failure on 5 Sept 2012 aged 72.

1943 - Donnie Iris
American rock musician Donnie Iris, guitarist. He wrote the No.2 Billboard hit, 'The Rapper', with the Jaggerz in 1970 and was a member of Wild Cherry who had the 1976 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Play That Funky Music'. He also achieved fame as a solo artist in the early 1980s with the hit 'Ah! Leah!'

1945 - Ronnie Rosman
Ronnie Rosman, from American rock band, Tommy James & The Shondells who had the 1966 US No.1 single 'Hanky Panky', the 1968 UK No.1 single 'Mony Mony' and the hit 'I Think We're Alone Now'.

1948 - Geoff Nicholls
British musician and keyboardist, Geoff Nicholls, longtime member of Black Sabbath. He died on 28 January 2017 aged 68. Until his death, Nicholls played keyboards with former Sabbath singer Tony Martin, in his band Tony Martin's Headless Cross.

1952 - Eddie Manion
Eddie Manion, American saxophonist from the Jersey Shore group Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. As a session musician, he has recorded and toured, with, among others, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Diana Ross, Gary U.S. Bonds, Bon Jovi, Willy DeVille, Dave Edmunds, Little Steven, Bob Dylan, Keith Richards, The Allman Brothers Band and Graham Parker.

1957 - Cindy Wilson
Cindy Wilson, singer and founding member with American new wave rock band The B-52's who had the 1990 UK No.2 & US No.3 single 'Love Shack'. She sang with the Ramones in the early 1980s on the song ‘Chop Suey’, with Kate Pierson and Debbie Harry.

1957 - Ian Stanley
English musician, songwriter and record producer Ian Stanley. With Tears For Fears he had the 1985 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World' and played a key role in the making of their multi-platinum selling second album Songs from the Big Chair.

1957 - Phil Gould
British drummer, songwriter and singer Phil Gould from Level 42, who had the 1986 UK No.3 & US No.12 single 'Lessons In Love' & 19 other UK Top 40 hits.

1967 - Marcus Lillington
Marcus Lillington, guitars, keyboards with British group Breathe, who scored the 1997 US No. 2 single 'Hands To Heaven', (kept from the summit by 'Roll with It' by Steve Winwood). The song became a UK top 5 hit the following year.

1971 - Nigel Godrich
English record producer, recording engineer and musician Nigel Godrich, best known for his work with Radiohead. He is a member of Atoms for Peace (with Thom Yorke) and Ultraísta. Other acts Godrich has worked with include Beck, Paul McCartney, U2, R.E.M., Pavement and Roger Waters.

1977 - Jason Aldean
Jason Aldean, American country music singer, who has scored six No.1 singles on the country charts including the duet ‘Don't You Wanna Stay’ with Kelly Clarkson, and the 2011 US County No.1 single 'Dirt Road Anthem'.

1986 - Alex Tanas
Alex Tanas, musician, drummer, singer and songwriter from Canadian reggae fusion band Magic! who had the 2014 US and UK No.1 hit single ‘Rude’, from their 2014 US Top 10 album Don't Kill the Magic.

1994 - Jake Bugg
English singer and songwriter Jake Bugg, (born Jake Edwin Kennedy). His self-titled debut album, largely co-written with songwriters Iain Archer, Matt Prime and Crispin Hunt, was released in late 2012 and reached No.1 on the UK Albums Chart.

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Monday morning. Here is what happened on This Day In Music History.

Post 1 of 2:

1958 - Buddy Holly
Buddy Holly played the first of 25 dates on his only UK tour at the Trocadero, Elephant & Castle, London. Also on the bill was Gary Miller, The Tanner Sisters, Des O'Connor, The Montanas, Ronnie Keene & His Orchestra.

1961 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley signed a five-year movie deal with producer Hal Wallis. During his career, Elvis made 31 feature films and two documentary feature films.

1967 - The Beatles
Working at Abbey Road studios, London, The Beatles started recording a new John Lennon song 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'. The song was inspired by a drawing his 3 year-old son Julian returned home from school with one day. The picture, which was of a little girl with lots of stars, was his classmate - Lucy O’Donnell, who also lived in Weybridge, and attended the same school as Julian.

1968 - Elton John
Elton John's first single 'I've Been Loving You' was released on the Phillips label, with lyrics credited to Bernie Taupin (although John later admitted that he wrote the song by himself, giving Taupin credit as an effort to earn Taupin his first publishing royalties). The song didn't chart.

1969 - Jim Morrison
Jim Morrison of The Doors was charged with lewd and lascivious behavior after showing his **ahem** to the audience during a show in Miami. He was found guilty and sentenced to eight months hard labor. Morrison died in Paris while the sentence was on appeal.

1973 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd released their eighth studio album The Dark Side Of The Moon in the US. It remained in the US charts for 741 discontinuous weeks from 1973 to 1988, longer than any other album in history. After moving to the Billboard Top Pop Catalog Chart, the album notched up a further 759 weeks, and had reached a total of over 1,500 weeks on the combined charts by May 2006. With an estimated 45 million copies sold, it is Pink Floyd's most commercially successful album and one of the best-selling albums worldwide.

1974 - Chris Difford
Chris Difford placed an advert in a shop window saying: 'lyricist seeks musician for co-writing'. Glen Tilbrook answered the ad and the pair went on to form Squeeze and had hits with 'Cool for Cats', 'Up the Junction', 'Tempted', 'Labelled With Love', and 'Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)'.

1975 - Eagles
The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Best Of My Love', the first of five US No.1's for the band. The song was included on their 1974 album On the Border and was released as the third single from the album. According to Don Henley, the lyrics were written while in a booth in Dan Tana's Restaurant close to the Troubadour in West Hollywood.

1979 - Joy Division
Joy Division appeared at The Hope & Anchor, Islington, London, England. Admission was 75p ($1.28).

1980 - Blondie
Blondie were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Atomic' the group's third UK No.1 single from their album 'Eat To The Beat'.

1986 - Mr Mister
Mr Mister started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Kyrie', the group's second US No.1, a No.11 hit in the UK. Also the group's album 'Welcome To The Real World' went to No.1 on the US album chart.

1990 - Janet Jackson
Janet Jackson played the first night on her 120-date Rhythm Nation world tour at the Miami Arena in Florida. As part of the show Jackson's had a live panther on-stage, but after concerns were raised over safety of the crowds and several incidents of the panther urinating on the stage Jackson axed the cat from the show in the summer leg of the tour.

1991 - Frank Smith
Frank Smith from Air Supply died of pneumonia in Melbourne, Australia. (1980 UK No.11 single 'All Out Of Love', 1981 US No.1 single 'The One That You Love').

1994 - Nirvana
Nirvana played their final ever concert when they appeared at The Terminal Einz in Munich, Germany. The 3,000 capacity venue was a small Airport Hanger. The power went off during the show so they played an impromptu acoustic set including a version of The Cars 'My Best Friend's Girl.'

1995 - R.E.M.
During a gig at the Patinoire Auditorium in Lausanne, Switzerland, R.E.M. drummer Bill Berry collapsed on stage from a ruptured brain aneurysm. He recovered and later re-joined the band.

1995 - Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen's 'Streets of Philadelphia' won three Grammys for Song of the Year, Best Male Vocal Performance and Best Rock Song. The track was featured in the film Philadelphia (1993), an early mainstream film dealing with HIV/AIDS which stars Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington.

1997 - Motley Crue
A Motley Crue fan who claimed his hearing had been irreparably damaged after a show in New Jersey had his lawsuit thrown out of court. The judge told Clifford Goldberg who had sat near the front of the stage, knew the risk he was taking.

1997 - David Bowie
'Bowie Bonds' were issued on the US Stock Exchange. Linked to David Bowie's back catalogue albums with money earned on the bonds via interest from royalties, investors could expect to make an 8% profit in about 10 years.

2001 - Sean Puffy Combs
Sean 'Puffy' Combs became the star witness of his own defence in a New York court claiming he didn't have a gun during a shooting in a New York club. The singer claimed he thought he was being shot at.

2004 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson unveiled a new website, www.mjjsource.com. The site featured a celebration of his music career plus news on his current criminal trial, including short biographies of his attorneys and a calendar listing upcoming court dates.

2009 - Kelly Clarkson
Kelly Clarkson went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'My Life Would Suck Without You'. US singer Clarkson won American Idol in 2000 and became the only American Idol contestant to have topped the UK charts.

2016 - Ginger Baker
76-year-old Ginger Baker posted on his blog that he had cancelled all of his scheduled shows for the year and was going into immediate retirement. The former drummer for Cream and Blind Faith revealed that his doctor had just diagnosed him with serious heart problems, causing him to announce all forthcoming shows.

2019 - Paul Williams
English blues and rock singer and musician Paul Williams died age 78. He joined Zoot Money's Big Roll Band on bass and vocals, alongside the guitarist Andy Summers. He then replaced John McVie in John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers. He later worked with the progressive rock group Tempest.

2019 - Fred Foster
Country Music Hall of Fame member Fred Foster died age 87. He is credited as producer behind all of Roy Orbison’s biggest hits including ‘Oh, Pretty Woman’, ‘Only the Lonely’, and ‘Crying’ and also produced major hits for Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Ray Stevens and Kris Kristofferson.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1904 - Glenn Miller
American big-band musician, arranger, composer, and bandleader Glenn Miller. He was the best-selling recording artist from 1939 to 1943, leading one of the best-known big bands. In just four years Glenn Miller scored 23 No.1 hits. Miller's recordings include 'In the Mood', 'Moonlight Serenade', 'Pennsylvania 6-5000', and 'Chattanooga Choo Choo'. On December 15, 1944, while traveling to entertain US troops in France during World War II, Miller's aircraft disappeared in bad weather over the English Channel.

1927 - Harry Belafonte
Harry Belafonte, US singer, who had the 1957 UK No.1 & US No.12 single with ‘Mary’s Boy Child’ and a 1957 UK No.2 & US No.5 with ‘Banana Boat Song’. He also scored over 15 US Top 40 albums, including the 1956 Calypso.

1928 - Willie Mitchell
American trumpeter, bandleader and producer Willie Mitchell. He was best known for his Hi Records label of the 1970s, which released albums by a large stable of popular Memphis soul artists, including Mitchell himself, Al Green, O. V. Wright, Syl Johnson and Ann Peebles. Mitchell died on 5 January 2010 from a cardiac arrest age 81.

1942 - Jerry Fisher
Jerry Fisher, from jazz-rock American music group Blood Sweat & Tears. They scored the 1969 US No.2 single 'Spinning Wheel', and the 1969 US No.12 single 'You've Made Me So Very Happy'. They had a US No.1 with their second album Blood, Sweat & Tears in 1968.

1944 - Mike d'Abo
Mike d'Abo, singer, songwriter, who with Manfred Mann had the 1968 UK No.1 & US No.10 single 'Mighty Quinn'. He wrote 'Handbags & Gladrags' covered by Rod Stewart and Stereophonics. Also wrote 'Build Me Up A Buttercup' a 1968 hit for The Foundations.

1944 - Roger Daltrey
English singer and actor Roger Daltrey, The Who. They scored the 1965 UK No.2 single My Generation plus over 20 other UK hit singles, 16 US Top 40 singles, and the rock opera albums Tommy and Quadrophenia. Daltrey had the 1973 solo UK No.5 single 'Giving It All Away'. The Who are considered one of the most influential rock bands of the 20th century, selling over 100 million records worldwide. He and Pete Townshend received Kennedy Center Honors in 2008 and The George and Ira Gershwin Award for Lifetime Musical Achievement at UCLA in 2016.

1946 - Tony Ashton
Tony Ashton, English rock pianist, keyboardist, singer and composer. With Ashton Gardner & **ahem** he had the 1971 UK No.3 single 'The Resurrection Shuffle'. He was a member of the Liverpool group The Remo Four (they backed George Harrison on his album Wonderwall Music). He also worked with Jerry Lee Lewis, George Harrison, Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney. Ashton died from cancer on 28 May 2001 at the age of 55.

1958 - Nik Kershaw
Nik Kershaw, English singer, songwriter, producer, who had the 1984 solo UK No.2 single 'I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me', as well as hits with 'Wouldn't It Be Good', 'Human Racing', 'The Riddle' and 'Don Quixote'. Kershaw appeared at the Live Aid in 1985 and has also penned a number of hits for other artists, including a UK No.1 single in 1991 for Chesney Hawkes, 'The One and Only'.

1962 - Peter Stephenson
Peter Stephenson from Scottish electronic dance band The Shamen who had the 1992 UK No.2 single 'Ebeneezer Goode'.

1963 - Rob Affuso
Rob Affuso from American heavy metal band Skid Row. The group achieved commercial success in the late 1980s and early 1990s, with its first two albums Skid Row (1989) and Slave to the Grind (1991) the latter of which reached No.1 on the Billboard chart.

1969 - Dafydd Ieuan
Dafydd Ieuan drummer with Welsh rock band Super Furry Animals. They have been described as "one of the most imaginative bands of our time" by Billboard and have released nine UK top 40 albums.

1969 - Christina Bergmark
Christina Bergmark, keyboards, vocals, with alternative Swedish rock band The Wannadies who had the 1996 UK No. 18 single, 'You And Me Song'.

1973 - Ryan Peake
Ryan Peake, guitarist from Canadian rock band, Nickelback who had the 2002 US No.1 & UK No. 4 single 'How To Remind You', and the 2001 album Silver Side Up. Nickelback is one of the most commercially successful Canadian groups, having sold more than 50 million albums worldwide.

1985 - Melissa Reese
American musician Melissa Reese known for her collaborations with Bryan "Brain" Mantia and as a member of Guns N' Roses who she joined in 2016 as the band's second keyboardist.

1987 - Kesha
Kesha Rose Sebert, (Kesha), 2009 US No.1 single with Flo Rida, ‘Right Round’, solo US No.1 single ‘Tik Tok’. Her third studio album Rainbow went to No.1 on the US chart in 2017.

1994 - Justin Bieber
Justin Bieber, Canadian singer. Bieber is the first artist to have seven songs from a debut album chart on the Billboard Hot 100. His 2009 debut single 'One Time' was a Top 30 hit in over 10 countries and in 2016, Bieber became the first artist to surpass 10 billion total video views on Vevo.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Tuesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1955 - Bo Diddley
Bo Diddley has his first recording session at Universal Recording Studio in Chicago, where he laid down 'Bo Diddley', which went on the top the US R&B chart by the following June.

1955 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley appeared at Porky's Rooftop Club in Newport, Arkansas. Constantly on the road, performing night after night this was the group's 46th show this year, (Elvis along with Scotty Moore and Bill Black).

1960 - Elvis Presley
After completing his national service and flying back to America, Elvis Presley stepped on British soil for the first and only time in his life when the plane carrying him stopped for refueling at Prestwick Airport, Scotland.

1961 - The Everly Brothers
The Everly Brothers had their third UK No.1 single with 'Walk Right Back' a song written by Sonny Curtis of The Crickets.

1963 - The Four Seasons
The Four Seasons became the first group to have 3 consecutive No.1's in the US when 'Walk Like A man', started a three week run at the top, a No.12 in hit the UK.

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles began filming what would become their first feature film A Hard Day's Night at Marylebone train station in London.

1967 - Engelbert Humperdinck
Engelbert Humperdinck was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Release Me.' The singers first of two number 1's, the song spent six weeks at the top of the chart and a record fifty six weeks on the chart.

1974 - Stevie Wonder
At this year's Grammys Stevie Wonder won four awards: Album of the year for 'Innervisions', Best R&B song and Best vocal for ‘Superstition’ and Pop vocal performance for ‘You Are The Sunshine Of My Life’.

1974 - Terry Jacks
Terry Jacks started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Seasons In The Sun', also No.1 in the UK. The song (written in French by Belgian, Jacques Brel), had English lyrics by poet Rod McKuen.

1975 - Paul McCartney
A policeman who stopped a Lincoln Continental for running a red light in Los Angeles was surprised to find Paul McCartney at the wheel with his wife Linda. The cop detected a smell of marijuana and on searching the car found eight ounces of the drug. Linda was arrested for the offence.

1977 - The Jam
The Jam played the first of a five-week Wednesday night run at The Red Cow, Hammersmith, London. The group had just signed a four-year recording contract with Polydor records.

1985 - The Smiths
The Smiths were at No.1 on the UK indie charts with 'How Soon Is Now.' Soho had the 1990 No.8 UK hit with 'Hippy Chick.' a song based on a guitar sample from the song.

1985 - Wham!
Wham! started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Make It Big', which eventually went on the sell over 5 million copies in the US.

1991 - Free
21 years after its first release 'All Right Now', by Free made No.2 in the UK singles chart after being re-issued to coincide with its use in a Wrigley's Chewing gum TV ad.

1991 - Serge Gainsbourg
French singer Serge Gainsbourg died of a heart attack. Famous for his 1969 UK No.1 duet with Jane Birkin on 'Je t'aime... Moi non plus.' During his career, he wrote the soundtracks for more than 40 films.

1991 - Madonna
Madonna's 'Rescue Me', entered the US hot 100 at No.15, making her the highest- debuting female artist in rock history. The record had been held by Joy Layne whose 1957 single 'Your Wild Heart', entered the chart at No. 30.

1996 - Oasis
Oasis scored their second UK No.1 single when 'Don't Look Back In Anger' went to No.1. From the bands 'What's The Story Morning Glory' album it was the first Oasis single to feature Noel on lead vocals instead of his brother, Liam Gallagher.

1999 - Dusty Springfield
Dusty Springfield died after a long battle against cancer, aged 59. The British singer had her first UK hit single in 1963 with ‘I Only Want To Be With You’, which reached No.4, the 1966 UK No.1 & US No.4 single with 'You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me’ plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles.

2002 - Ian Brown
The NME published the winners from this year's Carling Awards: Band of the year went to The Strokes, Album of the year, The Strokes for 'Is This It', Best live act was U2, Single of the year went to Ash for 'Burn Baby Burn' and Best solo artist was won by Ian Brown.

2003 - Hank Ballard
Singer, songwriter Hank Ballard died from throat cancer. Wrote and recorded 'The Twist' but it was only released on the B-side of a record. One year later, Chubby Checker debuted his own version of 'The Twist' on **ahem** Clark's Philadelphia television show. It topped the charts and launched a dance craze that prompted the creation of other Twist songs, including 'Twist and Shout' by the Isley Brothers and 'Twistin' the Night Away' by Sam Cooke.

2003 - Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilera started a two week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with Linda Perry written and produced song 'Beautiful'. The singers fourth UK No.1 which earned her a Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

2003 - Norah Jones
Norah Jones started a four week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with her debut album 'Come Away With Me'. The album spent over a year on the chart and was also a US No.1.

2007 - Kelis
American R&B singer Kelis was arrested in Miami Beach, Florida, after the singer started screaming racial obscenities at two female police officers who were working on an undercover operation on South Beach as prostitutes. Kelis was detained and charged with two misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and for resisting arrest.

2007 - Jimi Hendrix
Jimi Hendrix was crowned the 'wildest guitar hero' of all-time in a poll of music fans for Classic Rock magazine. Hendrix beat Keith Richards into second place, with Stevie Ray Vaughan in third. Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page made it to number four, followed by Dimebag Darrell, who played for several heavy metal bands including Pantera and Damageplan.

2008 - Jeff Healey
Canadian guitarist, singer, Jeff Healey, died of cancer. Healey lost his sight to retinoblastoma, a rare cancer of the eyes when he was 8 months old, resulting in his eyes being surgically removed. After living cancer-free for 38 years, he developed sarcoma in his legs. Despite surgery for this, the sarcoma spread to his lungs and ultimately was the cause of his death. Healey released over 12 albums, presented a long running radio show and worked with many artists including; Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, B.B. King, ZZ Top & Eric Clapton.

2008 - Amy Winehouse
Three months after its initial release, the deluxe edition of Amy Winehouse's Grammy Award-winning album 'Back to Black' went to No.1 on the UK album chart.

2009 - Norman Cook
DJ and Ivor Novello award winner Norman Cook checked himself into rehab to battle an alcohol addiction. His manager Garry Blackburn said. "Norman is voluntarily seeking help for his alcohol problem but he's in good shape."

2009 - The Beatles
Liverpool University launched a Masters degree on The Beatles, popular music and society. Liverpool Hope University claimed the course which looked at the studio sound and compositions of The Beatles was the first of its kind in the UK.

2013 - Paul McCartney
A pencil doodle by Paul McCartney when he was a teenager sold for over $5,000. The sketches were drawn by McCartney during the late 1950s while a student at the Liverpool Institute High School For Boys. The drawings showed multiple faces with different expressions on a single sheet of paper in pencil. The auction house said the drawing sold for £3,764 ($5,692).

2016 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan sold his personal archive of notes, draft lyrics, poems, artwork and photographs to the University of Tulsa, where they would be made available to scholars and curated for public exhibitions. The 6,000 item collection also included master recording tapes of Dylan's entire music catalog, along with hundreds of hours of film video.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1938 - Lawrence Payton
Lawrence Payton, American singer with The The Four Tops, who had the 1965 US No.1 single with ‘I Can’t Help Myself’ and a 1967 UK No.6 single with ‘Standing In The Shadows of Love’. Payton died on June 20th 1997. Founded as the Four Aims they helped established the Motown Sound heard around the world during the 1960s.

1942 - Lou Reed
American musician, singer and songwriter Lou Reed from the Velvet Underground. After leaving the band in 1970, Reed released twenty solo studio albums. His second, Transformer (1972), was produced by David Bowie and arranged by Mick Ronson, and brought mainstream recognition. Reed scored the 1973 solo hit 1 'Walk On The Wildside', and the 1997 UK No.1 charity single 'Perfect Day'. Reed died from liver disease on 27th Oct 2013 aged 71.

1943 - Tony Meehan
Tony Meehan, English drummer. A founder member of the British group The Drifters which would evolve into The Shadows. They scored the 1963 UK No.1 single 'Foot Tapper' plus 28 other UK Top 40 singles. Meehan quit the music industry in the 1990s for a major career change as a psychologist. He died on 28 November 2005 aged 62 from head injuries sustained in a fall.

1948 - Larry Carlton
American guitarist Larry Carlton who built his career as a studio musician in the 1970s and '80s for acts such as Steely Dan and Joni Mitchell, Linda Ronstadt, Michael Jackson, Quincy Jones, Bobby Bland, Herb Alpert, Christopher Cross, Dolly Parton, Andy Williams, and the Partridge Family.

1948 - Rory Gallagher
Rory Gallagher, Irish blues guitarist. Gallagher recorded solo albums throughout the 1970s and 1980s, after forming the band Taste during the late 1960s. His albums have sold over 30 million copies worldwide. Gallagher died on June 14th 1995.

1950 - Karen Carpenter
American singer and drummer Karen Carpenter, who with The Carpenters had the 1973 UK No.2 single 'Yesterday Once More' plus 3 US No.1's including the 1975 US No.1 single 'Please Mr Postman'. Their 1974 UK & US No.1 album 'The Singles 1969-1973 spent 125 weeks on the UK chart. The Carpenters album and single sales total more than 90 million making them one of the best-selling music artists of all time. She died on 4 February 1983 of anorexia nervosa.

1955 - Jay Osmond
Jay Osmond, from American family group The Osmonds. They had the 1971 US No.1 single 'One Bad Apple', the 1974 hit 'Crazy Horses' and the 1974 UK No.1 single 'Love Me For A Reason'. They had their own 1972–1973 Saturday morning cartoon series, The Osmonds, on ABC-TV. The Osmonds have sold over 75 million records world wide.

1956 - Mark Evans
Mark Evans, bass, AC/DC. He quit in 1977 after becoming tired of touring.

1956 - John Cowsill
John Cowsill, from American singing group The Cowsills, who had the 1967 US No.2 single 'The Rain, The Park & Other Things', and the 1969 US No.2 single the theme from 'Hair'. TV's Partridge Family was based on The Cowsills family.

1962 - Jon Bon Jovi
American singer-songwriter Jon Bon Jovi, who had the 1990 solo UK No.13 single 'Blaze Of Glory', and with Bon Jovi, the 1987 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Livin' On A Prayer'. Their 1986 US & UK No.1 album Slippery When Wet spent eight weeks at No. 1 on the US Billboard 200 chart. He has had various movie roles, including: Moonlight and Valentino and U-571 and made several TV appearances including: Sex and the City and Ally McBeal.

1965 - Martin Gilks
Martin Gilks from British alternative rock band The Wonder Stuff who had the 1991 UK No.1 single with their version of the Tommy Roe hit 'Dizzy' (with Vic Reeves). Gilks died, aged 41, on 3 April 2006, after losing control of his motorbike in London, England.

1977 - Chris Martin
Chris Martin, English singer-songwriter, pianist, guitarist, and the lead vocalist and co-founder of Coldplay. The band had the 2000 UK No.4 single 'Yellow', and the 2000 UK No.1 album Parachutes and the 2005 worldwide No.1 album X&Y. In December 2009, Rolling Stone readers voted the group the fourth-best artist of the 2000s.

1985 - Luke Pritchard
Luke Pritchard, lead vocalist and guitarist with British group The Kooks, who had the 2008 UK No.1 album 'Konk'. They took their name from the David Bowie song with the same title.

1988 - James Arthur
British singer and songwriter James Arthur who won the ninth series of The X Factor in 2012. He scored the 2016 UK No.1 hit 'Say You Won't Let Go'.

Until Tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Let's see what happened today in "This Day In Music History" shall we?? You may not be curious to know, but I sure am. 

Post 1 of 2:

1966 - Neil Young
Neil Young, Stephen Stills and Richie Furay formed Buffalo Springfield in Los Angeles. Among the first wave of American bands to become popular in the wake of the British invasion, the group combined rock, folk, and country music into a sound all its own. Its million-selling song 'For What It's Worth' became a political anthem for the turbulent late 1960s.

1969 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin recorded their first BBC Radio 1 'Top Gear' session during the afternoon at the Playhouse Theatre in London, England. Songs recorded were 'Dazed And Confused', 'Communication Breakdown', 'You Shook Me' and 'I Can't Quit You Baby'. Free, The Moody Blues and Deep Purple were also in session on the show.

1972 - Elton John
Elton John released 'Rocket Man' as a single, (officially titled 'Rocket Man (I Think It's Going to Be a Long, Long Time)'. The song was inspired by the short story "The Rocket Man" in The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury, and echoes the theme of David Bowie's 1969 song 'Space Oddity'. Kate Bush released a cover of 'Rocket Man' in 1991 as part of the Elton John, Bernie Taupin tribute album Two Rooms.

1973 - Slade
Slade's 'Com On Feel The Noize', entered the UK at No.1, making Slade the first act to achieve this since The Beatles.

1973 - Roberta Flack
Winners at this year's Grammy Awards included, Roberta Flack who won Song of the year and Record of the year with 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' and Harry Nilsson won Best pop vocal performance for 'Without You.'

1977 - John Otway
The first night of an UK tour with Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, Cherry Vanilla and The Police kicked off at the Roxy Club, London. John Otway and Wild Willie Barratt played at The Speakeasy, London and Iggy Pop supported by The Vibrators appeared at Huddersfield Poly.

1979 - Bee Gees
The Bee Gees scored their fourth UK No.1 single with 'Tragedy.' Also today The Bee Gees went to No.1 on the US album chat with 'Spirits Having Flown', the brother's second US No.1 album.

1984 - Nena
Nena started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with '99 Red Balloons.' Originally sung in German, '99 Luftballons' was re-recorded in English as '99 Red Balloons'. The song was a No.2 hit in the US and the only UK hit for Nena making her a One Hit Wonder.

1990 - Paul McCartney
During a world tour Paul McCartney played the first of 6 sold-out nights at the Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan. The final night was broadcast live to venues in 10 other Japanese cities; Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Kumamoto, Matsuyama, Nagoya, Niigata, Osaka, Sapporo, Sendai and Takamatsu.

1990 - Lindy Layton
Lindy Layton and Beats International were at No.1 in the UK with the single 'Dub Be Good To Me.' Formed by ex-Housemartins Norman Cook, the song was based on the SOS Band's 1984 hit 'Just Be Good To Me' and The Clash song 'Guns of Brixton'.

1994 - Smashing Pumpkins
The Smashing Pumpkins were banned from appearing on BBC TV's Top Of The Pops due to the content of the song's lyrics. The bands single 'Disarm' was this week's highest new entry.

1995 - Foo Fighters
Foo Fighters made their live debut during a benefit show at The Satyricon in Portland, Oregon.

1999 - Tony McCarroll
Oasis agreed to pay their former drummer Tony McCarroll a one-off sum of £550,000 ($935,000) after he sued the Manchester band for millions in unpaid royalties. McCarroll had been sacked from the band in 1995.

2000 - Derek Longmuir
Former Bay City Roller, Derek Longmuir was released on bail on charges of downloading child pornographic images from the internet and keeping indecent videos in his home.

2000 - Tom Jones
Tom Jones won the Best male artist at this year's Brit Awards. Other winners included Travis for Best band and Best album 'The Man Who.' Best single went to Robbie Williams for 'She's The One', Five won Best pop act, TLC won Best International group, Beck won Best International Male, Macy Gray won Best newcomer and Outstanding Contribution went to The Spice Girls.

2001 - Stereophonics
Stereophonics were forced to change the title of their new album after car manufacturer Daimler Chrysler objected to their use of the copyrighted word 'Jeep'. The UK title became 'Just Enough Education To Perform.'

2002 - Will Young
TV show 'Pop Idol' winner Will Young scored his first UK No.1 single with 'Anything Is Possible / Evergreen.' Young set a new sales record for a debut artist with over 1 million in the first week. It became the biggest selling single of 2002.

2003 - Rod Stewart
Ray Jackson who found fame with Lindisfarne took out legal action against Rod Stewart over his 1970s hit song ‘Maggie May.’ Jackson claimed he came up with the worldwide hit's classic mandolin melody and claimed he may have lost at least £1m because he was not credited for the track's distinctive "hook." Jackson was paid just £15 for the recording session by Stewart in 1971.

2004 - Elton John
Elton John announced he was planning to marry his long-term partner David Furnish if new UK laws allowed it. A Civil Partnership bill was being passed through Parliament which would give gay couple's greater rights.

2005 - 50 Cent
50 Cent released The Massacre, the follow-up to his 6x platinum debut 'Get Rich or Die Tryin'. The album sold over 1 million copies in its first week, going 4x platinum in two months. The success of the album gave 50 Cent five top-five singles in 2005.

2008 - The Beatles
Beatles engineer Norman Smith died at the age of 85. Smith who worked on every studio recording the band made between 1962 and 1965 was nicknamed.

2009 - U2
To celebrate the release of U2's twelfth studio album and their appearance every night for a week on The Late Show with David Letterman, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg temporarily renamed part of 53rd street in Midtown Manhattan U2 Way.

2010 - Sean 'P Diddy' Combs
A woman claiming to be the wife of Sean 'P Diddy' Combs was freed on $5,000 (£3,326) bail after being arrested near the rappers home on Long Island, New York. Camellia Green claimed to be married to the rapper and producer who was said to be worth around $350m (£233m). There was no official comment from Combs, who was unmarried.

2012 - Ronnie Montrose
American rock guitarist Ronnie Montrose died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound aged 64. The guitarist who led the bands Montrose and Gamma had been ill suffering from prostate cancer. Montrose had also worked with Edgar Winter, Van Morrison, Dan Hartman, Sammy Hagar and many other artists.

2013 - Bobby Rogers
American musician and tenor singer Bobby Rogers died aged 73. He was a member of The Miracles who with Smokey Robinson had the 1970 UK & US No.1 single 'Tears of a Clown'. Rogers was a part-time Motown songwriter; his most notable composition with bandmate Smokey Robinson, was The Temptations' first hit single, 'The Way You Do the Things You Do. Rogers also co-wrote The Temptations 1965 hit 'My Baby.'

2015 - Keith Richards
Keith Richards objected to a planned £1.5million cafe being built on a beachfront near his country mansion. The guitarist lodged an objection against the new development which is near his Redlands estate where he was famously arrested with band mate Mick Jagger in 1967 in a drugs raid. Richards is opposed to the planned restaurant which was earmarked for West Wittering beach in West Sussex.

2017 - Jim Fuller
American guitarist Jim Fuller from The Surfaris died aged 69. The Surfaris had the 1963 US No.2 & UK No.3 single 'Wipe Out' and Fuller was known as the "Godfather" of surf music, a Californian instrumental music. With his Fender guitar he contributed to the popularity of Leo Fender's instruments.

2017 - Lyle Ritz
American jazz ukulele musician Lyle Ritz died at the age of 87. As a session musician on the bass guitar he joined the Wrecking Crew a popular group of studio musicians in the Los Angeles recording industry. Ritz compiled over 5,000 recording credits including such notable tracks as Herb Alpert's 'A Taste of Honey', The Righteous Brothers' 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'', and The Beach Boys 'Good Vibrations.'

End of post 1 of 2. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1923 - Doc Watson
American bluegrass, folk, country, blues guitarist, songwriter Doc Watson. Blind from a young age he won seven Grammy awards as well as a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. Watson's fingerstyle and flatpicking skills, as well as his knowledge of traditional American music, were highly regarded. He died on 29 May 2012 age 89.

1927 - Junior Parker
Junior Parker, US blues singer/songwriter who wrote ‘Mystery Train’, which was covered by Elvis Presley. He also worked with B.B. King and Howlin’ Wolf. Parker died on November 18th 1971.

1941 - Mike Pender
Mike Pender, The Searchers, (1964 UK No.1 & US No.13 single 'Needles And Pins'). They were the second group from Liverpool, after The Beatles to have a hit in the United States when 'Needles and Pins' charted during the first week of March 1964.

1944 - Jance Garfat
Jance Garfat, bassist, with American rock band Dr Hook who had the 1970s hits 'The Cover of Rolling Stone', 'A Little Bit More', 'When You're in Love with a Beautiful Woman' and 'Sylvia's Mother'.

1947 - Dave Mount
Dave Mount from English glam rock band Mud who had the 1974 UK No.1 single 'Tiger Feet' which was the UK's best-selling single of 1974 plus 14 other UK Top 40 singles. Mount died on 2nd December 2006.

1947 - Jennifer Warnes
Jennifer Warnes, singer, (1982 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Up Where We Belong' with Joe Cocker).

1948 - Terence 'Snowy' White
Terence 'Snowy' White, guitarist, who worked with Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd and Roger Waters. As a solo artist, he had a 1983 UK Top 10 hit single 'Bird Of Paradise'.

1949 - Blue Weaver
Derek (Blue) Weaver, keyboards, from Welsh rock group Amen Corner who had the 1969 UK No.1 single 'If Paradise Is Half As Nice' plus five other UK Top 40 hits. As a member of the Strawbs, had the 1973 UK No.2 single with 'Part Of The Union'. Also worked with The Bee Gees, 1975 US No.1 'Jive Talking'.

1949 - Richie Cannata
American music producer, multi-instrumentalist Richie Cannata most notable for playing saxophone in Billy Joel's band. Also worked with The Beach Boys, Celine Dion and Jennifer Lopez.

1953 - Robyn Hitchcock
English singer-songwriter and guitarist Robyn Hitchcock who was a member of the Soft Boys in the late 1970s and has since launched a prolific solo career.

1954 - Chris Hughes
Chris Hughes, from English rock band Adam and the Ants who scored the 1981 UK No.1 single 'Stand And Deliver' and 15 other UK Top 40 singles.

1954 - John Lilley
John Lilley, American guitarist, singer, songwriter, best known for being a member of rock band The Hooters that had the 1985 No.3 US hit 'And We Danced'.

1966 - Tone Loc
American actor, rapper, voice actor, and producer Tone- Loc, (Antony Smith), who had the 1989 UK No. 13 single, 'Funky Cold Medina' for which he was nominated for a Grammy Award.

1977 - Ronan Keating
Irish recording artist, singer-songwriter, musician, Ronan Keating, who with Boyzone scored the 1996 UK No.1 single 'Words' and 4 UK No.1 albums. As a solo artist Keating had the 1999 UK No.1 single 'When You Say Nothing At All', (which was featured in the film Notting Hill) and his 2000 UK No.1 album 'Ronan' spent over a year on the chart.

1997 - Camila Cabello
Cuban-American singer, songwriter Camila Cabello who was a member of the girl group Fifth Harmony, formed on The X Factor (US) in 2012. Her debut studio album Camila (2018) debuted at No.1 on the Billboard chart, with its lead single 'Havana' featuring Young Thug topping the charts in several countries, including the UK and the US.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Thursday.

Post 1 of 2:

1963 - The Beach Boys
The Beach Boys released 'Surfin' U.S.A.' a song with lyrics by Brian Wilson set to the music of 'Sweet Little Sixteen', written by Chuck Berry. Billboard ranked 'Surfin' U.S.A.' the No. 1 song of 1963.

1966 - John Lennon
John Lennon's statement that The Beatles were 'more popular than Jesus Christ' was published in The London Evening Standard. His opinions drew no controversy when published in the UK, but when republished in the US a few months later, angry reactions flared up in Christian communities. Extensive protests broke out with some radio stations banning Beatles songs and their records were publicly burned.

1967 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Ruby Tuesday', the group's fourth US No.1 single. 'Lets Spend The Night Together' was the original A side but after radio stations banned the song 'Tuesday' became the A side.

1974 - ABBA
ABBA released 'Waterloo' the first single from their second album and the first single to be credited to the group performing under the name ABBA. It later became the winning entry for Sweden in the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest and a No.1 hit in several countries. It reached the US Top 10 and went on to sell nearly six million copies, making it one of the best-selling singles in history.

1978 - Jerry Lee Lewis
The US internal Revenue Service carried out a dawn raid at the home of Jerry Lee Lewis and removed cars worth over £100,000 ($170,000) to pay off his tax debts.

1979 - Randy Jackson
Randy Jackson of The Jackson Five was seriously injured in a car crash breaking both legs and almost died in the emergency room when a nurse inadvertently injects him with methadone.

1982 - Frank Zappa
Frank Zappa's son Dweezil and his daughter Moon Unit formed a band called Fred Zeppelin. Their first single was 'My Mother is a Space Cadet'.

1986 - Howard Greenfield
American songwriter Howard Greenfield died of a brain tumor aged 50. Working out of the famous Brill Building with Neil Sedaka he co-wrote many hits including 'Calendar Girl', 'Breaking Up Is Hard To Do', and 'Crying In The Rain' with Carole King. Also wrote TV theme songs including the theme to 'Bewitched.'

1986 - Richard Manuel
After just completing a two set show with The Band in Winter Park, Florida, 41 year old Richard Manuel of The Band hanged himself from a shower curtain rod in a hotel room in Florida. His band mate, Robbie Robertson honoured his friend with the song, 'Fallen Angel' in 1987.

1993 - Whitney Houston
Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown became parents when Whitney gave birth to a baby girl, Bobbi Kristina Houston Brown. Bobbi went on to become an reality television and media personality, singer, and actress. Brown died in hospice care on July 26, 2015, at the age of 22 after being found face down in a bathtub in her Georgia home. She was later placed into a medically induced coma.

1994 - Kurt Cobain
Kurt Cobain was rushed to hospital after overdosing on alcohol and drugs in a Rome hotel during a Nirvana European tour. Cobain had taken 50-60 pills of Rohypnol mixed with champagne; rumours on the internet claimed that Kurt was dead.

1997 - Raymond Edwards
Raymond Edwards American bassist with The Silhouettes died. The doo wop/R&B groups single 'Get A Job' was a No.1 hit on the Billboard R&B singles chart and pop singles chart in 1958. The doo-wop revival group Sha Na Na derived their name from the song's lyrics. 'Get A Job' is included in the soundtracks of the film American Graffiti, Trading Places and Stand By Me. The Silhouettes performed in the 1986 movie Joey.

2001 - Village People
Village People singer Glenn Hughes died of lung cancer aged 50 in his Manhattan apartment in New York. He was the original "Biker" character in the disco group who scored the 1978 UK No.1 & US No.2 single Y.M.C.A.

2002 - Doreen Waddell
Doreen Waddell, singer with Soul II Soul was killed after attempting to run across the A27 in Brighton, England after being caught shoplifting.

2003 - Cliff Richard
A noisy neighbor was banned from playing her music and had her stereo system impounded, after she had played Cliff Richard music too loudly. 23 year-old Sian Davies was fined £1,000 ($1,700) plus court costs after environmental protection officers raided her flat in Porth, Rhondda, Wales and seized 15 amplifiers and speakers, plus 135 CDs and cassette tapes. The disc found in her CD player was the Cliff Richard single, 'Peace in Our Time'. A spokesman for the Cliff Richard Organization said he was delighted to hear of somebody in their early 20s owning one of his many recordings. He added, Cliff would not want anyone to play his music so that it caused a nuisance.

2007 - Take That
Take That went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Shine', their 10th UK No.1 single. The song was featured in several commercials for the re-launched Morrisons supermarkets in the UK, and went on to win the British single of the year award at the 2008 Brit Awards.

2009 - Britney Spears
Britney Spears kicked off a world tour in New Orleans, her first concert tour for five years. The 27-year-old who dressed as a ringmaster in the show, featured jugglers, acrobats and martial arts dancers.

2012 - Vinyl Sales
According to Nielsen SoundScan in the US, vinyl sales increased 36 percent in 2011 compared to the previous year, concluding that vinyl records were making a big comeback for music fans.

2015 - Daryl Hall and John Oates
Daryl Hall and John Oates were suing cereal maker Early Bird Foods & Co. over the company's use of the name Haulin' Oates for their maple syrup granola bars. The two musicians accused the Brooklyn-based firm of infringing on their trademark with the packet of cereal deliberately creating a phonetic play on the band's well-known name.

2020 - Barbara Martin
American singer, Barbara Martin died age 76. She is best known as one of the original members of Motown group The Supremes. She left the group in the early spring of 1962.

End of post 1 of 2. 

MOHLovesAlaska