cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

This Day In Music History for this Thursday.

Post 1 of 2:

1956 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley (with Scotty Moore and Bill Black), made his first National Television appearance on the Dorsey brother's "Stage Show". It was the first of six appearances on the show and the first of eight performances recorded and broadcast from CBS TV in New York City. After the success of their first appearance they were signed to five more in early 1956.

1965 - The Who
The Who made their first appearance on UK TV show Ready Steady Go! To project the desired image, the hand-picked audience consisted only of teens dressed in the current Mod fashion.

1968 - The Doors
Jim Morrison of The Doors was arrested and charged with public drunkenness after harassing a security guard at a Las Vegas adult movie theatre.

1977 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd's tenth studio album Animals entered the UK charts at No.2. The sleeve concept was that of Roger Waters, who lived at the time near Clapham Common, and regularly drove past Battersea Power Station. A view of the imposing but disused former power station building was chosen for the cover image, complete with massive inflatable pig suspended between two of the towers.

1978 - Van Halen
Van Halen released their first single, a cover of The Kinks' ‘You Really Got Me’. The Kinks' Dave Davies has claimed to dislike Van Halen's rendition of the song and stated of how a concert-goer once approached him after a live Kinks show and congratulated him on performing a "great cover of the Van Halen song."

1978 - Fleetwood Mac
The Fleetwood Mac album Rumours went to No.1 on the UK album chart. The groups eleventh studio album went on to sell over 45 million copies world-wide and spent over 440 weeks on the UK chart. The songs 'Go Your Own Way', 'Dreams', 'Don't Stop', and 'You Make Loving Fun' were released as singles.

1983 - Narara Music Festival
The first Narara Music Festival was held near Somersby, NSW over the Australia Day weekend, the line-up included Men At Work, The Church, The Choirboys, Cold Chisel and INXS. The following year saw Simple Minds, Talking Heads, Def Leppard, Eurythmics and The Pretenders all appearing.

1983 - Billy Fury
British Rock & Roll singer Billy Fury died of heart failure aged 42. An early British rock and roll (and film) star, he equaled the Beatles' record of 24 hits in the Sixties , and spent 332 weeks on the UK chart, without a chart-topping single or album. His We Want Billy (released in 1963, with The Tornados) was one of the first live albums in British rock history. Fury later played rock 'n' roller "Stormy Tempest" in the film That'll Be The Day along side David Essex and Ringo Starr.

1984 - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Frankie Goes To Hollywood started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Relax!' BBC Radio 1 DJ Mike Read expressed on air his distaste for both the record's suggestive sleeve and its lyrics, he announced his refusal to play the record, not knowing that the BBC had decided that the song was not to be played on the BBC anyway. Produced by Trevor Horn the song remained on the chart for 48 weeks.

1984 - Motley Crue
Backstage after a Motley Crue show in Buffalo, New York, Tommy Lee found out that his girlfriend has posed for the current issue of Penthouse magazine without his knowledge, after a fan passed comment on the pictures. Tommy punched the fan unconscious with one hit, Motleys manager Doug Thaler later convinced the fan not to press any charges.

1985 - Michael Jackson
The recording took place for We Are The World the US equivalent of Band Aid at A&M Studios in Hollywood. Written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie the all star cast included Stevie Wonder, Tina Turner, Bruce Springsteen, Diana Ross, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, Daryl Hall, John Oates, Cyndi Lauper, Steve Perry and Bob Geldof.

1990 - Paul Abdul
Paul Abdul started a 10-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Forever Your Girl'. Abdul spent sixty-four consecutive weeks on the Billboard 200 before hitting number one, making it the longest time for an album to reach the number one spot.

1994 - Paul McCartney
Paul and Linda McCartney attended the premiere of Wayne's World II in London. The couple then went on to Hard Rock Cafe, where the film star Mike Myers presented them with a cheque for LIPA (the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts) for £25,000 ($42,500) from the sale of Linda's vegetarian burgers.

1995 - TLC
TLC started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Creep' the group's first US No.1, it made No.6 in the UK the following year.

1998 - Noel Gallagher
Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher played a 20-minute solo gig at the King Head, an English pub in Santa Monica in front of 250 fans.

2000 - Thomas Bowles
Saxophonist and bandleader Thomas 'Beans' Bowles died of prostate cancer aged 73. Played on many Motown sessions including Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On', Martha and the Vandellas' 'Heat Wave' and The Supremes 'Baby Love' and wrote the melody on Stevie Wonder's 'Fingertips Pt. 2.'

2003 - Keven Conner
H-Town singer Keven Conner was killed in a car crash in Houston aged 28. Conner died when an SUV ran a red light and crashed into the car he was a passenger in, which had just picked him up from the recording studio.

2004 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley fans expressed their anger at plans to cut up a rare tape of the singer's early songs and sell the snippets at auction. The tape, which featured a recording made by Presley during the early 1950s, was now too fragile to play. US firm Master Tape Collection said the tape would be cut into two-inch snippets and sold for £270 ($460) each.

2005 - Jim Capaldi
English drummer and singer songwriter Jim Capaldi died of stomach cancer aged 60. He co-founded Traffic with Steve Winwood who had the 1967 UK No.2 single 'Hole In My Shoe'. Capaldi also had the solo 1975 UK No.4 single 'Love Hurts'. Capaldi also worked with Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and George Harrison.

2008 - Madonna
Madonna topped the list for the richest female musician, according to Forbes.com. Its first-ever list focusing on women in the music industry estimated the 49-year-old banked $72m (£36m) between June 2006 and June 2007. Madonna earned much of that from her Confessions tour - the highest-grossing tour for a female artist - earning $260m (£130m) worldwide. Barbra Streisand came second, with $60 million (£30 million) followed by Celine Dion with $45 million (£23.6), mainly from her recent concerts at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.

2009 - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboard player Billy Powell died at the age of 56 of a suspected heart attack in Florida. Powell called police saying he was having trouble breathing and emergency services tried to resuscitate him, but he was pronounced dead an hour later. Powell had missed a doctor's appointment on the day before his death; the appointment was for a checkup on his heart. He played piano on Kid Rock's 'All Summer Long' (which sampled the Lynyrd Skynyrd song 'Sweet Home Alabama').

End of post 1 of 2.
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2015 - Sly Stone
Funk legend Sly Stone was awarded $5m (£3.3m) in missed royalties by a Los Angeles court. The singer claimed his former manager, Gerald Goldstein, and lawyer, Glenn Stone, had cheated him out of earnings dating back more than 20 years. In 2011, it was reported he was homeless and living in a camper van after falling on hard times and fighting drug addiction problems.

2015 - Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath bassist Geezer Butler was arrested after officers were called to the Corkscrew Saloon on the Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley National Park, California. The 65 year-old bassist was arrested for misdemeanor assault, public intoxication and vandalism after a fight broke out in the bar.

2016 - Signe Toly Anderson
American singer Signe Toly Anderson died aged 74. She was one of the founding members of the American rock band Jefferson Airplane. She sang on the first Jefferson Airplane album, Jefferson Airplane Takes Off, most notably on the song 'Chauffeur Blues'.

2016 - Paul Kantner
American guitarist, singer and songwriter, Paul Kantner died in San Francisco at the age of 74 due to multiple organ failure and septic shock after he suffered a heart attack days earlier. He was known for co-founding Jefferson Airplane, the leading psychedelic rock band of the counterculture era, and its more commercial spin-off band Jefferson Starship. With Jefferson Airplane, Kantner was among the performers at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 1966 and the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 and the Woodstock Festival in 1969.

2017 - Geoff Nicholls
British musician and keyboardist, and longtime member of the heavy metal band Black Sabbath, Geoff Nicholls died aged 68. Until his death, Nicholls played keyboards with former Black Sabbath singer Tony Martin, in his band Tony Martin's Headless Cross.

2020 - Bob Nave
American Keyboardist Bob Nave died age 75. He was a member of psychedelic rock band The Lemon Pipers who scored the 1968 US number one hit 'Green Tambourine'. The song has been credited as being the first bubblegum pop chart-topper.

Born On This Day In The Music World.

1927 - Roy Caton
American trumpet player and session musician Roy Caton who worked with Nancy Sinatra, The Monkees, Harpers Bizarre, The Byrds, Love, (Forever Changes), The Righteous Brothers and The Beach Boys, (Pet Sounds). Caton died on July 29, 2010 aged 83.

1927 - Ronnie Scott
Ronnie Scott, jazz musician. Formed his own nine-piece group in 1953 and opened the first Ronnie Scott's night club in London in 1959 where he presented the cream of the world's jazz musicians at the club. He died on December 23rd 1996.

1929 - Acker Bilk
Bernard Stanley Bilk, (Acker Bilk), bandleader who had the 1962 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Stranger On The Shore'. He died on 2nd Nov 2014.

1941 - King Tubby
King Tubby, reggae producer who has worked with Robbie Shakespeare, Sly Dunbar and Carlton Barrett. He was killed on 6th February 1989 after being shot in the street outside his home.

1943 - **ahem** Taylor
**ahem** Taylor, English musician, best known as the guitarist and founder member of the Pretty Things who had the 1964 UK No.10 single 'Don't Bring Me Down'. They took their name from Willie Dixon's 1955 song 'Pretty Thing'.

1945 - Robert Wyatt
Robert Wyatt multi instrumentalist who was a member of Soft Machine. As a solo artist Wyatt scored the 1983 UK No.35 single 'Shipbuilding'. During an alcohol-fueled party in London in 1983, an inebriated Wyatt fell from a fourth floor window. He was paralyzed from the waist down and consequently uses a wheelchair.

1946 - Rick Allen
Rick Allen, bassist with The Box Tops who had the 1967 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'The Letter'.

1949 - Gene McFadden
American singer, songwriter, and record producer Gene McFadden, best known as half of the Philly soul team McFadden & Whitehead. The duo who were discovered by Otis Redding, who acted as their manager had the 1979 hit 'Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now', which sold more than 8 million copies and was nominated for a Grammy Award. McFadden died of cancer on 27 January 2006 at the age of 56.

1951 - William Nelson
William Nelson the original bassist for Funkadelic. He left the group in late 1971 after a financial dispute with George Clinton. Nelson later played with The Commodores, Chairmen of the Board, Jermaine Jackson, Lionel Richie, Smokey Robinson and The Temptations.

1959 - Dave Sharpe
Dave Sharpe, guitarist and singer with The Alarm who had the 1983 UK No.17 single '68 Guns'.

1968 - Lawrence Muggerud
Lawrence Muggerud, DJ Muggs with Cypress Hill who had the 1993 UK No.15 single 'I Ain't Goin' Out Like That', and the 1993 US No.1 album 'Black Sunday'.

1968 - Sarah McLachlan
Canadian musician singer songwriter, Sarah McLachlan, who had the 1997 US No.2 album 'Surfacing'. McLachlan who has sold over 40 million albums worldwide is the organizer of the Lilith Fair US tour.

1975 - Lee Latchford-Evans
Lee Latchford-Evans, singer with British dance-pop group Steps. Between 1997 and 2001 Steps scored two No.1 singles in the UK, two No.1 albums and 14 consecutive top 5 singles in the UK.

1976 - Rick Ross
Rick Ross (William Leonard Roberts II), American hip-hop artist who had the 2006 US No.1 with his debut album 'Port of Miami'.

1977 - Joseph Fatone
Joseph Fatone, singer from American boy band *NSYNC. Among the group's singles, 'Bye Bye Bye', 'This I Promise You', 'Girlfriend' and 'It's Gonna Be Me' reached the top 10 in several international charts. The group's second album, No Strings Attached, sold over one million copies in one day.

1980 - Nick Carter
Nicolas Carter singer with American boy band Backstreet Boys who had the 1997 US No.2 single 'Quit Playing Games With My Heart', and the 1999 UK No.1 single 'I Want It That Way'.

1987 - Secondcity
Rowan Harrington better known by his stage name Secondcity, American-born British DJ and producer, best known for his 2014 song ‘I Wanna Feel’, which peaked at No.1 on the UK Singles Chart.

Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe. 
MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Friday.

Post 1 of 2:

1961 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan achieved his dream of meeting his idol Woody Guthrie when Guthrie was on weekend release from hospital where he was being treated for Huntington's Chorea. Dylan told him; ‘I was a Woody Guthrie jukebox’. Guthrie gave Dylan a card which said: ‘I ain't dead yet’.

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles spent the day at Pathe Marconi Studios in Paris, France, The Beatles' only studio recording session for EMI held outside the UK. They recorded new vocals for ‘She Loves You’, ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’ and ‘Can't Buy Me Love’, after EMI's West German branch persuaded Brian Epstein that they would be unable to sell large quantities of records in Germany unless they were recorded in the German language. A translator coached John, Paul, and George, although their familiarity with the German language from their Hamburg days made things much easier.

1967 - Jimi Hendrix and The Who
Jimi Hendrix and The Who appeared at The Saville Theatre, London, England. 20 year-old future Queen guitarist Brian May was in the audience.

1968 - The Doors
The Doors appeared at The **ahem** Cat A Go Go, Las Vegas. After the show singer Jim Morrison taunts a security guard in the parking lot by pretending to smoke a joint, resulting in a fight. The police arrive who arrest Morrison and charge him with vagrancy, public drunkenness, and failure to possess sufficient identification.

1969 - Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac had their only UK No.1 single with the instrumental 'Albatross' which was composed by guitarist Peter Green. 'Albatross' is the only Fleetwood Mac composition with the distinction of having inspired a Beatles song, 'Sun King' from 1969's Abbey Road.

1972 - George Harrison
The triple album The Concert For Bangladesh went to No.1 on the UK album chart. Organized by George Harrison to raise funds for the people caught up in the war and famine from the area. The set featured; Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston, Eric Clapton, Ravi Shankar and members from Badfinger.

1979 - Boomtown Rats
16-year-old Brenda Spencer killed two people and wounded nine others when she fired from her house across the street onto the entrance of San Diego's Grover Cleveland Elementary School. Spencer fired the shot's from a .22-caliber rifle her father had given her for Christmas. When asked why she did it, she answered 'I don't like Mondays.' The Boomtown Rats went on to write and recorded a song based on the event.

1983 - Men At Work
Australian group Men At Work went to No.1 on the British and American singles and album charts simultaneously with 'Down Under' and 'Business As Usual'. The last artist to achieve this was Rod Stewart in 1971.

1989 - Marc Almond
Marc Almond started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart' with guest vocals from Gene Pitney, (who also had a hit with the song in 1967).

1992 - Willie Dixon
American blues singer and guitarist Willie Dixon died of heart failure. He wrote the classic songs 'You Shook Me', 'I Can't Quit You Baby', 'Hoochie Coochie Man', 'I Just Want to Make Love to You' and 'Little Red Rooster'. Dixon was a major influence on The Rolling Stones, Cream, The Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin.

1996 - George Michael
George Michael had the UK No.1 single with 'Jesus To A Child', the singers sixth UK No.1 as a solo artist and the first single from his come-back album 'Older', (after lengthy litigation with his record company).

2001 - Eva Cassidy
A New York based data company issued a chart listing sales of posthumous albums. The idea came about after radio stations wanted to distinguish between proper recordings when the artists were alive and CD's released after they died. Mike Shalett founder of SoundScan said there was only one problem. What to call the chart. The Top 5 chart had The Doors at No.5, Eva Cassidy at 4, Jimi Hendrix at 3, Bob Marley at 2 and 2Pac at No.1.

2006 - Arctic Monkeys
Arctic Monkeys went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their debut album 'Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not'. The Sheffield-based bands album became the fastest-selling debut in chart history after shifting more than 360,000 copies in its first week of release. The album's title was taken from a line from the novel Saturday Night and Sunday Morning written by Alan Sillitoe.

2009 - John Martyn
Singer-songwriter John Martyn died in hospital in Ireland at the age of 60. The folk, blues and funk artist was widely regarded as one of the most soulful and innovative singer-songwriters of his generation and had been cited as an influence by artists as varied as U2, Portishead and Eric Clapton.

2009 - Kelly Clarkson
Former American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson made the largest ever leap to number one in US chart history, rising 96 places. Her single, My Life Would Suck Without You, rose from 97 to the top of the Billboard chart after selling 280,000 downloads in its first week of release. A clip from the video for the single was premiered in the commercial break of that week's episode of American Idol.

2010 - Sly Stone
Sly Stone filed a $50m (£30.9m) legal claim against his former manager, alleging fraud and 20 years of stolen royalties. The 66-year-old funk musician of the 1970s group Sly and the Family Stone, claimed in the Los Angeles Superior Court that Jerry Goldstein diverted millions in royalties to fund a lavish lifestyle.

2014 - Justin Bieber
More than 100,000 people signed a petition to deport Canadian citizen Justin Bieber out of America. The campaign followed his arrest earlier this month for drunk driving and driving without a valid license. According to US Government protocol, once a petition has over 100,000 signatures, it must be reviewed by White House staff, who will have to respond to it.

2015 - Rod McKuen
American poet, singer-songwriter, and actor Rod McKuen died aged 81. McKuen's translations and adaptations of the songs of Jacques Brel were instrumental in bringing the Belgian songwriter to prominence in the English-speaking world. McKuen's songs sold over 100 million recordings worldwide. His songs have been performed by such diverse artists as Barbra Streisand, Perry Como, Petula Clark, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Andy Williams, Dusty Springfield, Johnny Mathis and Frank Sinatra.

2015 - Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift was seeking to trademark phrases including "this sick beat" and "we never go out of style", in the United States. If granted, the trademark would stop others from using her lyrics on items such as t-shirts, stickers and bags. Other phrases she wants to protect included "nice to meet you, where you been" and "party like it's 1989".

2016 - David Bowie
Three weeks after his death, David Bowie lodged 12 albums in the UK top 40, equaling a record set by Elvis Presley in 1977. His last album Blackstar, spent a third week at No.1 with Best of Bowie, Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust all in the Top 10. Bowie's other albums in the top 40 include: Nothing Has Changed (5), Heroes (28), Diamond Dogs (30), Station to Station (32) and Scary Monsters (36).

2019 - James Ingram
American singer, songwriter James Ingram died after a long battle with brain cancer age 66. He was a two-time Grammy Award-winner and charted eight Top 40 hits on the US Billboard Hot 100. He had two No.1 singles, the first, a duet with fellow R&B artist Patti Austin, 1982's ‘Baby, Come to Me’ and ‘I Don't Have the Heart’, which became his second No.1 in 1990. He also recorded the song ‘Somewhere Out There’ with Linda Ronstadt for the animated film An American Tail.

End of post 1 of 2.

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

Born On This Day In The Music World.

Post 2 of 2:

1933 - Sacha Distel
French singer and guitarist Sacha Distel who had the 1970 UK No.10 single 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head.' Distel died after a long battle with deteriorating health on 22nd July 2004.

1938 - James Jamerson
James Jamerson bassist played with The Funk Brothers on many Motown hits by The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops, Martha And The Vandellas and others. Jamerson died of a heart attack on 2nd August 1983 aged 45.

1943 - Tony Blackburn
Tony Blackburn, DJ on Radio Caroline and the first D.J. on BBC Radio 1 (The first song played was 'Flowers In The Rain by The Move'). Blackburn was crowned 'King of the jungle' in 2003 after winning on the UK TV show 'I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here' set in the Australian outback.

1944 - Andrew Loog Oldham
Andrew Loog Oldham, producer, manager and the first Rolling Stones manager. Oldham launched the Immediate label in 1965 which enjoyed 24 UK Top 50 hits. Also worked with Small Faces, John Mayall, Rod Stewart, The Nice, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton and the Amen Corner.

1947 - David Byron
David Byron, singer, from English rock band Uriah Heep who had the 1975 UK No.7 album Return To Fantasy. They have sold over 40 million albums worldwide. Byron died on 28th February 1985.

1952 - Tommy Ramone
Thomas Erdelyi, (Tommy Ramone), Hungarian drummer with the Ramones who had the 1977 UK No.22 single 'Sheena Is A Punk Rocker'. Erdelyi also worked as a record producer and was an assistant engineer for the production of the Jimi Hendrix album Band of Gypsys. He died on July 11, 2014 following unsuccessful treatment for bile duct cancer.

1953 - Louie Perez
Louie Perez, American songwriter, percussionist and guitarist with from Los Lobos (Spanish for "the Wolves"), who had the 1987 UK & US No.1 single with their cover version of 'La Bamba', which was a 1958 hit for Ritchie Valens and one of early rock and roll's best-known songs.

1953 - Peter Baumann
Peter Baumann who formed the core line-up of the pioneering German electronic group Tangerine Dream with Edgar Froese and Christopher Franke in 1971.

1954 - Rob Manzoli
Rob Manzoli singer from Right Said Fred who had the 1991 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'I'm Too Sexy', 1993 UK No.1 album 'Up'.

1961 - Dave Baynton-Power
Dave Baynton-Power, drummer from English rock band James who scored the 1991 UK No.2 single 'Sit Down' and the hits 'Laid' and 'Come Home'.

1961 - Eddie Jackson
Eddie Jackson bassist with American progressive heavy metal band Queensrÿche Their 1994 album
'Promised Land' went top 3 in the US,

1961 - Pauline Henry
Pauline Henry, singer. who had the 1993 UK solo No.12 single with the Bad Company song 'Feel Like Making Love', and the 1990 UK No.6 single with The Chimes, 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'

1962 - Marcus Verne
Marcus Verne from British group Living In A Box, who had the 1987 UK No.5 single 'Living In A Box'.

1964 - Roddy Frame
Roddy Frame, guitarist, singer, songwriter with British group Aztec Camera, who had the 1988 UK No.3 single 'Somewhere In My Heart'.

1985 - Rag'n'Bone Man
English singer-songwriter Rag'n'Bone Man. His first hit single, ‘Human’, was released in 2016, and his debut album of the same name was released in February 2017 and peaked at number one on the UK chart. At the 2017 Brit Awards, he was named British Breakthrough Act and received the Critics' Choice Award.

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

This Day In Music History for this Saturday.

Post 1 of 2:

1956 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley started recording what would be his first album at RCA's New York Studios. Songs recorded included his version the Carl Perkins song 'Blue Suede Shoes'. Johnny Cash planted the seed for the song in the fall of 1955, while Perkins, Cash, Elvis Presley, and other Louisiana Hayride acts toured throughout the South. Cash told Perkins of a black airman, C. V. White, whom he had met when serving in the military in Germany, who had referred to his military regulation airmens shoes as "blue suede shoes."

1961 - The Shirelles
The Shirelles became the first all-girl black group to have the number one song on the US chart when 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow?' reached the top. The song peaked at No.4 in the UK.

1964 - The Searchers
The Searchers were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the Sonny Bono song 'Needles And Pins'. The group's second UK No.1 had originally been recorded by Jackie DeShannon.

1969 - The Beatles
The Beatles with Billy Preston, played their lunchtime rooftop gig on top of the Apple building on Savile Row, London. Lasting for just over 40 minutes it was the last time The Beatles performed live. The played ‘Get Back’, ‘Don’t Let Me Down’, ‘I’ve Got A Feeling’, ‘The One After 909’ and ‘Dig A Pony’. Traffic was brought to a standstill as crowds of people gathered below and watched from windows in nearby buildings. John Lennon ended the performance by saying “I’d like to say ‘Thank you’ on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition.”

1970 - Edison Lighthouse
Edison Lighthouse were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes).' The group's only Top 40 hit spent five weeks at the top of the charts. In February 1970, Tony Burrows became the first (and still the only) person to appear on BBC Television's Top Of The Pops fronting three different acts in one show: Edison Lighthouse (who were number one that week), White Plains, and Brotherhood of Man.

1972 - Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney wrote and recorded his protest song 'Give Ireland Back To The Irish' within 24 hours of Bloody Sunday, when 13 Catholics were killed by British paratroopers.

1973 - Kiss
After recently changing their name from Wicked Lester, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley and Peter Criss made their first appearance as Kiss at the Popcorn Club in Queen's, New York.

1975 - Bee Gees
The Bee Gees begin recording 'Jive Talkin', which became their second US chart topper and No.5 UK hit. Barry Gibb's inspiration for the song came when his wife commented on the sound their car made while crossing a bridge over Biscayne Bay into Miami. She noted, "It's our drive talkin'."

1976 - Mike Oldfield
UK Music weekly Sounds readers Poll Winners included; best album 'A Night At The Opera', by Queen, best single 'Bohemian Rhapsody', by Queen, best band went to Queen, musician Mike Oldfield, female singer Maddy Prior, Steeleye, Span, new band Rainbow, bore of the year The Bay City Rollers.

1982 - Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney guested on BBC radios Desert Island Discs his selections include, Elvis Presley's 'Heartbreak Hotel', Chuck Berry's 'Sweet Little Sixteen', John Lennon's 'Beautiful Boy 'and Little Richard's 'Tutti Frutti'.

1982 - Sam Lightnin Hopkins
Blues singer, songwriter, guitarist Sam Lightnin' Hopkins died of cancer aged 70. In 1968, Hopkins recorded the album Free Form Patterns, backed by the rhythm section of the psychedelic rock band 13th Floor Elevators. Hopkins influenced Bob Dylan, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix. R.E.M. recorded a song named after him on their Document album.

1988 - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
During a court case involving Holly Johnson and ZTT Records it was revealed that Frankie Goes To Hollywood had not played on their hits 'Relax' and 'Two Tribes'. The court was told that top session musicians were used to make the records.

1988 - Tiffany
Tiffany was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Think We're Alone Now', the singers only UK No.1 single. The song was a hit for Tommy James & The Shondells in 1967.

1990 - Stone Roses
Unhappy with the re-issue of the bands early single 'Sally Cinnamon' The Stone Roses trashed their former record company Revolver FM's offices and threw paint over cars. The band were arrested and charged with criminal damage.

1999 - Britney Spears
After spending 11 weeks on the chart Britney Spears started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with '...Baby One More Time.' Britney's debut album also went to No.1 on the US chart on the same day.

1999 - Natalie Imbruglia
In the NME readers poll results the winner of 'The pop personality that you would like as your doctor' was won by singer Natalie Imbruglia.

2000 - Gabrielle
Gabrielle went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Rise'. The song used a sample from Bob Dylan's 'Knocking On Heaven's Door' giving Dylan his third UK No.1 as a writer, the other two being The Byrds version of 'Mr Tambourine Man' and Manfred Mann's 'The Mighty Quinn'.

2010 - Neil Young
Neil Young was named the Musicares person of the year for his "influential artistic accomplishments and philanthropic work". A string of artist including Elton John, Norah Jones, James Taylor, Elvis Costello, John Fogerty, Dave Matthews and Sheryl Crowe performed his songs as he was honoured by the US Recording Academy at the Los Angeles Convention Centre.

2013 - Mick Jagger
Mick Jagger was named the most stylish rock star of all time by lifestyle website Complex. Jagger lead their top 50 list ahead of Prince, David Bowie, Kurt Cobain, Sid Vicious and Keith Richards. Complex stated “Even today, he wears silk scarves and suits with more rakish appeal than most men – and he’s pushing 70.”

2015 - Marion "Suge" Knight
Marion "Suge" Knight was arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with a fatal traffic incident. The record producer had earlier surrendered to police after he was declared a suspect in a hit-and-run incident where one man died.

2016 - David Bowie
David Bowie reached No.1 in the American album charts for the first time with Blackstar, released two days before his death on 10 January. His highest-charting US album previously had been The Next Day, which peaked at No.2 in 2013.

2016 - David Bowie
David Bowie left an estate valued at about $100m (£70m), according to his will which was filed in New York. Half would go to his widow, Iman, along with the home they shared in New York. The rest was shared between his son and daughter. Bowie's personal assistant, Corinne Schwab, was left $2m and another $1m went to a former nanny, Marion Skene.

End of post 1 of 2. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1928 - Ruth Brown
Ruth Brown, US singer who had the 1957 US No.25 single, 'Lucky Lips' and was Atlantic Records top selling artist of the 50s scoring hits such as 'Teardrops from My Eyes' and '(Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean'. Brown died on November 17, 2006.

1936 - Horst Jankowski
Horst Jankowski, German pianist who had the 1965 UK No.3 & US No.12 single 'A Walk In The Black Forrest'. He died of cancer on 29th June 1998.

1941 - Joe Terranova
Joe Terranova, from doo-wop and rock and roll vocal group Danny and the Juniors famous for their 1958 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'At The Hop'.

1942 - Marty Balin
Marty Balin, American singer, songwriter best known as the founder and one of the lead singers of Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship. who had the 1967 US No.18 single 'White Rabbit'. Balin played with Jefferson Airplane at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 and at the Woodstock Festival in 1969. He died on September 27, 2018 at the age of 76.

1943 - Sandy Deane
Sandy Deane, from Jay and the Americans, who had the 1962 hit with 'She Cried' and the 1969 US No.6 single 'This Magic Moment'.

1947 - Steve Marriott
Steve Marriott, guitarist and singer/songwriter. He was a major influence on many UK bands. Marriott was a member of Small Faces who had the 1967 UK No.3 & US No.16 single with ‘Itchycoo Park’ plus the 1968 No.1 UK album 'Ogden’s Nut Gone Flake.' Formed Humble Pie who had the 1969 UK No.4 single ‘Natural Born Bugie’. Marriott died in a house fire on April 20th 1991.

1949 - William King
William King, trumpet player with The Commodores who had the 1978 UK & US No.1 single 'Three Times A Lady'.

1951 - Phil Collins
Phil Collins drummer, singer, songwriter who was a member of Genesis who had the 1986 US No.1 'Invisible Touch', 1992 UK No.7 single 'I Can't Dance' plus six UK No.1 albums. As a solo artist had the 1988 UK & US No.1 single 'A Groovy Kind Of Love' plus six other US No.1's and four UK No.1 solo albums. Acting roles include Oliver, Buster and Miami Vice, also worked with Brand X.

1959 - Mark Eitzel
Mark Eitzel, guitarist, singer, songwriter who was a member of American Music Club who had the 1993 album 'Mercury'. Eitzel is now a solo artist.

1961 - Jody Watley
Jody Watley, singer with Shalamar who had the 1980 US No. 8 single ‘The Second Time Around’, and the 1982 UK No.5 single ‘A Night To Remember’. Solo hits include the 1987 UK No.13 single, ‘Looking For A New Love’ and the 1989 US No.2 single, ‘Real Love’. Destiny’s Child covered the Watley penned song ‘Sweet Sixteen.’

1964 - Angie Stone
Angie Stone, singer, songwriter who was a member of Vertical Hold and is now a solo artist. Stones has written hits for Mary J. Blige & D'Angelo.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Sunday.

Post 1 of 2:

1957 - Bill Haley
Decca Records announced that Bill Haley & His Comets, 'Rock Around the Clock' had sold over a million copies in the UK, mostly on 10inch 78's. The version of 'Rock Around the Clock' that was used in the movie Blackboard Jungle differs from the hit single version. The difference is in the two solo breaks.

1959 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley had his third UK No.1 single 'One Night / I Got Stung' a double A side, (originally written and recorded under the title 'One Night of Sin') a revival of the Smiley Lewis's R&B hit. Presley was in the army by the time this song reached No.1.

1967 - John Lennon
The Beatles spent a second day at Knole Park, Sevenoaks, Kent, England to complete filming for the 'Strawberry Fields Forever' promotional video. The film was shot in colour, for the benefit of the US market, since UK television was still broadcasting only in black and white. Taking time out from filming John Lennon bought a 1843 poster from an antiques shop in Surrey which provided him with most the lyrics for The Beatles song 'Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite'.

1969 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin played the first of two nights at The Fillmore East, New York City during the band's first North American tour. Porter's Popular Preachers opened the night, then Led Zeppelin took the stage. It is alleged that Zeppelin's show was so powerful and got such an enthusiastic audience that headliners Iron Butterfly refused to follow them.

1970 - Slim Harpo
American blues musician Slim Harpo died of a heart attack while recording in London aged 46. His most successful and influential recordings included ‘I'm a King Bee’ (1957), ‘Rainin' In My Heart’ (1961), and ‘Baby Scratch My Back’ (1966). A master of the blues harmonica, his stage name was derived from the popular nickname for that instrument, the "harp". The Rolling Stones, Pretty Things, Yardbirds and Them all covered his songs.

1970 - Jackson Five
The Jackson Five went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Want You Back'. The song was originally written for Gladys Knight & The Pips and was the first of four No.1's for the group. It made No.2 in the UK.

1976 - Abba
ABBA knocked Queen from the UK No.1 position on the UK singles chart with 'Mamma Mia.' Queen's single 'Bohemian Rhapsody' had enjoyed a nine week run at the top of the charts, by coincidence, Queen's single contains the famous "mamma mia, mamma mia, mamma mia let me go" line.

1978 - Greg Herbert
Greg Herbert saxophone player with Blood Sweat & Tears died of an accidental drug overdose in Amsterdam, Holland aged 30. Blood, Sweat & Tears won a Grammy Award in 1969 for Album of the Year.

1981 - Blondie
Blondie went to No.1 on the US singles hart with 'The Tide Is High', the group's third US No.1, also a No.1 in the UK.

1984 - Queen
Queen's 'Radio Ga Ga' entered the UK charts at No.4. The track which was released after Queen's recording and touring hiatus of over a year spent eleven weeks in the chart, peaking at No.2.

1987 - Paul Simon
Paul Simon went back to No.1 on the UK album chart with Graceland the album stayed on the chart for a total 101 weeks. 'Graceland' later won the 1987 Grammy Award for Album of the Year, while the title song won the 1988 Grammy Award for Record of the Year.

1990 - Stone Roses
The Stone Roses were granted conditional bail by Wolverhampton Magistrates court after the band had trashed their record company's offices.

1999 - Armand Van Helden
US dance music producer Armand Van Helden went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'You Don't Know Me'. Helden also had a No.1 with the remix of the Tori Amos track 'Professional Widow'.

2003 - Robbie Williams
Robbie Williams topped a chart based on UK album sales from the past 5 years. The former Take That singer had sold 9.7 million albums in Britain, an average of more than 5,000 every day. The Corrs were in second place with 5.8m sales, Westlife in third with 5.1, Madonna in fourth with 5m and The Beatles in fifth with 4.7m.

2007 - Jim Morrison
Jim Morrison was enlisted to help fight global warming more than 35 years after his death. 'Woman in the Window', a previously unreleased poem written and recorded by The Doors frontman shortly before he died in 1971 was being set to music and used to publicize the Global Cool campaign.

2008 - Natasha Bedingfield
Natasha Bedingfield entered the US chart at number three with her album Pocketful of Sunshine, equaling the record set by soul singer Sade in having the highest-ever US chart debut for a UK-signed female. The British singer sold 50,000 copies of the record in its first week of release.

2009 - Dewey Martin
Dewey Martin drummer with The Dillards and Buffalo Springfield died aged 68. The Canadian musician had the 1967 US No.17 hit single 'For What It's Worth' with Buffalo Springfield as well as working with The Monkees. In 1971, Martin retired from the music industry to become a car mechanic.

2009 - David Gilmour
David Gilmour appeared at Coldfall Primary School, Muswell Hill, London, during a charity show with The Seat Of The Pants Band. The black-tie dinner dance, at which Bob Hoskins, Suggs from Madness and comedian Les Dennis also appeared, raised over £50,000 for a cancer charity.

2011 - Mark Ryan
English guitarist Mark Ryan died aged 51. He joined The Ants appearing with the band in the Derek Jarman movie Jubilee (released in July 1977). Subsequently, he joined The Photons, and was involved with The Moors Murderers.

2014 - Anna Gordy Gaye
American businesswoman, composer and songwriter Anna Gordy Gaye died three days after her 92nd birthday. An elder sister of Motown founder Berry Gordy, she became a record executive in the mid-to-late 1950s distributing records released on Checker and Gone Records before forming the Anna label. Gordy later became known as a songwriter for several hits including the Originals' ‘Baby, I'm for Real’, and two songs on Marvin Gaye's What's Going On album. The first wife of Gaye, their turbulent marriage later served as inspiration for Gaye's album, Here, My Dear.

2015 - Don Covay
R&B rock and roll singer and songwriter Don Covay passed away at the age of 78. His most successful recordings include 'Mercy, Mercy' (1964), 'See-Saw' (1965), and 'It's Better to Have (and Don't Need)' (1974). He also wrote 'Pony Time', a US No.1 hit for Chubby Checker, and 'Chain of Fools', a Grammy-winning song for Aretha Franklin.

2017 - John Wetton
English singer, bassist, and songwriter John Wetton died in his sleep at his home in Bournemouth, Dorset, UK from colon cancer. He rose to fame with bands Mogul Thrash, Family, King Crimson, Roxy Music, Uriah Heep, and Wishbone Ash. After his period with King Crimson, Wetton formed UK, and later he was the frontman and principal songwriter of the supergroup Asia. Their biggest hit 'Heat of the Moment', reached No. 4 in the US in 1982.

2019 - Harold Bradley
Harold Bradley the American country and pop guitarist died age 93. As a session musician into the 1970s, he performed on hundreds of albums by country stars such as Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Elvis Presley and Slim Whitman. Bradley was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2006. A Country Music Hall of Fame member, he is believed to be one of the most recorded instrumentalist in history.

End of post 1 of 2.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1930 - Al De Lory
Born on this day American record producer and session musician Al De Lory. He played keyboards for various Phil Spector productions, and The Beach Boys Glen Campbell including John Hartford's ‘Gentle on My Mind’, Jimmy Webb's ‘By the Time I Get to Phoenix’, ‘Wichita Lineman’ and ‘Galveston’. He was also a member of the Los Angeles session musicians known as The Wrecking Crew. As a bandleader he had his own hit in 1970 with an instrumental version of the ‘Song from M*A*S*H’. Died on 5 February 2012.

1932 - Rick Hall
American record producer, songwriter, music publisher, and musician Rick Hall best known as the owner of Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. Hall almost single-handedly established the town of Muscle Shoals as a crucible of some of the greatest soul music to be produced in America in the Sixties and Seventies. Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, Etta James and Clarence Carter were just a few of the rhythm and blues artists who recorded under Hall’s supervision, using the superlative group of session musicians who formed the basis of what became known as the “Muscle Shoals sound”. Hall died on January 2, 2018 aged 85.

1941 - Jerry Scheff
American bassist Jerry Scheff best known for his work with Elvis Presley in the 1960s and 1970s as a member of his TCB Band and his work on The Doors' final recordings. Scheff has also worked with Willy DeVille, Bob Dylan, John Denver and Elvis Costello.

1946 - Terry Kath
Terry Kath, guitarist with Chicago who had the 1976 UK & US No.1 single 'If You Leave Me Now'. Kath accidentally shot himself dead on January 23rd 1978. His last words were, "Don't worry it's not loaded" as he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. The guitarist and singer was killed instantly. Chicago have had five consecutive No.1 albums on the Billboard chart and 20 top-ten singles on the Billboard Hot 100.

1951 - Harry Wayne
Harry Wayne Casey, singer with American disco and funk group KC and the Sunshine Band who had the 1975 US No.1 single 'That's The Way, I Like It', and the 1983 UK No.1 single 'Give It Up'.

1951 - Phil Manzanera
Phil Manzanera, guitarist with Roxy Music who with Roxy Music scored the hit singles 'Street Life', 'Love is the Drug', 'Dance Away', 'Angel Eyes', 'Jealous Guy' and 'Avalon'. In 2006 Manzanera co-produced David Gilmour's No.1 album album On An Island.

1952 - Curley Smith
Curley Smith, drummer with American group Jo Jo Gunne who had the 1972 UK No.6 & US No. 27 single 'Run Run Run.'

1954 - Adrian Vandenburg
Adrian Vandenburg, Dutch guitarist who was a member of Whitesnake who had the 1987 US No.1 & UK No.9 single 'Here I Go Again'. Also a member of Manic Eden.

1956 - Johnny Rotten
John Lydon, (Johnny Rotten,) singer with the Sex Pistols who had the 1977 UK No.2 single 'God Save The Queen' and 1977 UK No.1 album Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols'. Formed Public Image Ltd who scored the 1983 UK No.5 single 'This Is Not A Love Song'.

1961 - Lloyd Cole
Lloyd Cole, English singer, songwriter, who formed Lloyd Cole and the Commotions. Had the 1985 UK No.19 single 'Brand New Friend', from their debut album 'Rattlesnakes' and as a solo artist the 1995 UK No.24 'Like Lovers Do'. An avid golfer, he is known for playing concerts in towns suspiciously close to famous golf courses.

1964 - Jeff Hanneman
Jeff Hanneman, guitarist with American thrash metal band Slayer who released the 1986 album 'Reign in Blood'. Hanneman died on 2nd May 2013 at the age of 49. Since 2011, Hanneman had been suffering from necrotizing fasciitis, a flesh-eating disease that he is believed to have contracted from a spider bite.

1966 - Al Jaworski
Al Jaworski, bassist with English group Jesus Jones who had the 1990 US No.2 hit with 'Right Here Right Now' and the 1991 UK No.7 single 'International Bright Young Thing'.

1967 - Chad Channing
Chad Channing, Nirvana's first drummer who left the band in 1990. Has since worked with The Methodists, East of the Equator and Redband.

1970 - Minnie Driver
Minnie Driver, actress, singer, songwriter who had the 2004 album 'Everything I've Got In My Pocket'. Was once a member of UK band Puff, Rocks and Brown who were signed to Island records.

1981 - Justin Timberlake
Justin Timberlake, singer with *NSYNC who had the 2000 US No.1 single 'It's Gonna Be Me' and the 1999 UK No.5 single 'I Want You Back'. As a solo artist scored the 2003 UK No.2 & US No.3 single 'Cry Me A River'. His second solo album 'FutureSex/LoveSounds' was released in 2006 with the US No.1 hit singles 'SexyBack', 'My Love' and 'What Goes Around... Comes Around.' With his first two albums, Timberlake has sold over fourteen million albums worldwide. Timberlake has his own record label called Tennman Records. He also has an acting career, having starred in films such as The Social Network, Bad Teacher and Friends with Benefits.

1987 - Marcus Mumford
Marcus Mumford, English musician, best known as the lead singer of Mumford & Sons. Their second studio album 'Babel' released in 2012 debuted at No.1 on both the UK Albums Chart and the US Billboard 200. It became the fastest selling album of 2012 in the UK. The live performance at the 2011 Grammy ceremony with Bob Dylan and The Avett Brothers led to a surge in popularity for the band in the US. The band received eight total Grammy nominations for Babel and won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year.

MOHLovesAlaska

LeftyGunz
Underground

My mom took me to visit Graceland,.. I loved it,.. I as about 8 years old...

@LeftyGunz , it is one place I myself would like to visit one day as well. Thank you for sharing your memory of your fascinating trip. Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

This Day In Music History for this Monday.

Post 1 of 2:

1949 - RCA Records
RCA Records issued the first ever 45rpm single, the invention of this size record made jukeboxes possible.

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles started a seven week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', the first US No.1 by a UK act since The Tornadoes 'Telstar' in 1962 and the first of three consecutive No.1's from the group.

1965 - James Brown
At the Arthur Smith Studios in Charlotte, North Carolina, James Brown recorded 'Papa's Got A Brand New Bag', which will reach No.8 on the Billboard Pop chart and No.1 on the R&B chart the following August and later win a Grammy Award for Best Rhythm and Blues Recording.

1967 - The Beatles
At Abbey Road studios in London, The Beatles started work on a new song 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'. It wasn't until The Beatles had recorded the song that Paul McCartney had the idea to make the song the thematic pivot for their forthcoming album.

1967 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd spent the day recording parts for the Syd Barrett songs 'Arnold Layne' and 'Candy And A Current Bun' at Sound Techniques Studios, Chelsea, London. Floyd also turned professional on this day after signing a deal with EMI Records.

1969 - Tommy James
Tommy James and the Shondells started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Crimson And Clover', the group's second and last No.1. Billy Idol had a 1987 US No.1 with 'Mony Mony' a No.3 hit for Tommy James in 1968.

1972 - Chuck Berry
Chuck Berry had his first UK No.1 single with a live recording of a song he'd been playing live for over 20 years 'My Ding-a-Ling'. UK public morality campaigner Mary Whitehouse attempted to have the song banned due to its innuendo-laden lyrics. The Average White Band members guitarist Onnie McIntyre and drummer Robbie McIntosh played on the single.

1975 - Neil Sedaka
Neil Sedaka had his second US No.1 single with 'Laughter In The Rain', over 12 years after his last chart topper 'Breaking Up Is Hard To Do'.

1979 - Sex Pistols
Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious was released on bail after attacking Todd Smith, singer Patti Smith's brother, at a Skafish concert. John Lydon has since stated that Mick Jagger stepped in and paid for the lawyers for Vicious.

1980 - Blondie
Blondie released 'Call Me', the main theme song of the 1980 film American Gigolo. It peaked at No. 1 for six consecutive weeks, and became the top-selling single of the year in the United States in 1980.

1986 - **ahem** James
Music publisher **ahem** James died of a heart attack aged 65. Worked with many UK 60s acts including The Beatles. James signed Elton John and his lyricist Bernie Taupin as unknown artists in 1967 and was the founder of the DJM record label.

1989 - Paul Robi
Paul Robi from The Platters died of cancer. UK & US No.1 single 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes'. Robi left The Platters in the early 60s being replaced by Nate Nelson from the Flamingos.

1992 - George Michael
George Michael and Elton John went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me', also a No.1 in the UK. All proceeds from the single went to Aids charities.

1995 - Richey James
Richey Edwards guitarist with the Manic Street Preachers vanished leaving no clues to his whereabouts. He left The Embassy Hotel in London at 7am, leaving behind his packed suitcase. His car was found on the Severn Bridge outside Bristol, England sixteen days later. Edwards has never been found, despite constant searching, and in November 2008 he was declared officially dead.

1999 - Julius Wechter
American musician and composer Julius Wechter died. He composed the song 'Spanish Flea' for Herb Alpert and was leader of The Baja Marimba Band. As a session musician he worked for the likes of The Beach Boys, Sonny and Cher and various Phil Spector productions. His vibraphone solo work is featured on the Beach Boys' acclaimed album, Pet Sounds ('Let's Go Away for Awhile'). He died of lung cancer a day after his song 'Spanish Flea' was used in the Simpsons episode Sunday, Cruddy Sunday.

1999 - Marilyn Manson
Four hundred people were injured at an Australian concert by Marilyn Manson when he stormed off stage after being bombarded with missiles and abuse at the show in Perth. One of Manson's guitar technicians needed treatment for cuts to his head.

2001 - Elton John
A collection of Sir Elton John's private photos on display at a museum in Atlanta were withdrawn. The exhibition, which included snaps of nude men, was said to be too explicit, some school trips to the museum had been cancelled.

2008 - The Beatles
US space agency Nasa announced that 'Across the Universe' by The Beatles was to become the first song ever to be beamed directly into space. The track would be transmitted through the Deep Space Network - a network of antennas - on the 40th anniversary of the song being recorded, being aimed at the North Star, Polaris, 431 light-years from Earth. In a message to NASA, Paul McCartney said the project was an "amazing" feat. "Well done, Nasa," he added. "Send my love to the aliens. All the best, Paul."

2009 - Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen started a two week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Working on a Dream' his 16th studio album.

2012 - Soul Train
Don Cornelius, the host of US TV's Soul Train, (from 1971 until 1993), who helped break down racial barriers and broaden the reach of Black culture, died. Police officers responded to a report of a shooting at 12685 Mulholland Drive and found Cornelius with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. He was 75.

2013 - Cecil Womack
American singer, songwriter and record producer Cecil Womack died of unknown causes in Johannesburg, South Africa aged 65. He had success both as a songwriter and recording artist, notably with his wife Linda as Womack & Womack. In 1988, their single ‘Teardrops’, taken from their fourth album Conscience, became a major international hit selling over 10 million copies worldwide. His best-known song ‘Love T.K.O.’ has been recorded by many artists, including Teddy Pendergrass, Boz Scaggs, Bette Midler and Michael McDonald.

2013 - Coldplay
Coldplay's 'Clocks' topped a list by BBC Radio 6 Music's top 100 tracks of the past 10 years. More than 100,000 votes were cast in the poll which looked back over the 10 years since the station began in 2002. Arctic Monkeys' 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' was voted into second place, and Elbow's 'One Day Like This' in third.

2014 - Action on Hearing Loss
A new report found that about two-thirds of people were left with ringing in their ears after a night out at a club, gig or pub. Campaign group Action on Hearing Loss said the poll of 1,000 adults also showed a third would ignore the "safe level" on their music players.

2020 - Andy Gill
Andy Gill, the founding member and guitarist of British post-punk band Gang Of Four, died aged 64. The musician's scratchy, staccato riffs provided the band with their signature sound, and influenced the likes of Nirvana, Fugazi and Franz Ferdinand. He also produced albums for artists such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Stranglers, Michael Hutchence and Killing Joke.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1934 - Bob Shane
Bob Shane from The Kingston Trio who had the 1958 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'Tom Dooley' plus nine other US Top 40 hits. He died on January 26, 2020.

1937 - Don Everly
American singer, songwriter Don Everly, from The Everly Brothers who had the 1958 UK & US No.1 single 'All I Have To Do Is Dream'. Other hits include: 'Wake Up Little Susie,' 'Bird Dog,' 'Cathy's Clown,' 'Walk Right Back' and 'Crying in the Rain'. The music of the Everly Brothers influenced The Beatles who based the vocal arrangement of 'Please Please Me' on 'Cathy's Clown.

1937 - Ray Sawyer
Ray Sawyer, singer, songwriter with American rock band Dr Hook who had the 1970s hits 'The Cover of Rolling Stone', 'A Little Bit More', 'When You're in Love with a Beautiful Woman' and 'Sylvia's Mother'. Sawyer died on 31 December 2018 aged 81.

1938 - Jimmy Carl Black
Jimmy Carl Black, drummer who worked with Frank Zappa on his 1970 UK No.9 album Hot Rats. Black died on 1st Nov 2008.

1939 - Joe Sample
Joe Sample, keyboards with The Crusaders who had the 1979 UK No.5 single 'Street Life'.

1947 - Normie Rowe
Normie Rowe, singer, biggest solo star of Australian pop in the Sixties, who in 1965 had the Australian No.1 single ‘Que Sera Sera’ which spent 11 weeks at the top of the charts.

1948 - Rick James
Rick James, US singer who scored the 1981 US No.3 album 'Street Songs', and the 1981 US No 16 single 'Super Freak part 1'. James was found dead at his Los Angeles home on 6th August 2004.

1950 - Mike Campbell
Mike Campbell, guitarist with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers who had the 1977 single 'American Girl', the 1989 UK No.28 single 'I Won't Back Down', and the 1991 UK No.3 album 'Into The Great Wide Open'. Campbell has also worked with Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Fleetwood Mac, Roger McGuinn, Tracy Chapman, Warren Zevon, George Harrison and Stevie Nicks.

1957 - Dennis Brown
Dennis Brown, reggae singer, who had the 1979 UK No.14 single 'Money In My Pocket'. He died on July 1st 1999.

1969 - Patrick Wilson
Patrick Wilson, drummer with American alternative rock band Weezer who had the 1995 UK No.12 single, 'Buddy Holly'.

1971 - Ron Welty
Ron Welty, drummer from American punk rock band The Offspring, who had the 1999 UK No.1 single 'Pretty Fly, (For A White Guy)', and the 1999 US No.6 & UK No.10 album Americana.

1975 - Antoine Patton
Big Boi, (Antoine Patton), Outkast, US rapper who had the 2001 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Ms. Jackson' and the 2004 US No.1 single 'Hey Ya'.

1985 - Shellback
Swedish songwriter, record producer and musician, Shellback who was listed as the No.1 producer of 2012 on Billboard magazine's year end chart. With songwriter Max Martin he has produced, written and/or co-written songs for Taylor Swift, Usher, Pink, Lily Allen, Carrie Underwood ,Adam Lambert, Maroon 5, Avril Lavigne, Adele and other artists.

1990 - Laura Marling
British folk singer-songwriter Laura Marling. She won the Brit Award for Best British Female Solo Artist at the 2011 Brit Awards. Her sixth record, Semper Femina, was nominated for a Grammy Award in the Best Folk Album category.

1994 - Harry Styles
Harry Styles from English-Irish pop boy band One Direction who formed after finishing third in the seventh series of The X Factor in 2010. Scored the 2011 UK No.1 single 'What Makes You Beautiful' and the 2013 No.1 'One Way or Another (Teenage Kicks)'. Also had the UK Solo 2017 No.1 single 'Sign of the Times'.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Tuesday. 

Post 1 of 2:

1959 - Buddy Holly
Buddy Holly, Richard Valens and The Big Bopper all appeared at the Surf Ballroom, Clear Lake, Iowa. This was all three acts last ever gig before being killed in a plane crash the following day.

1962 - The Beatles
The Beatles played their first professionally organized gig outside of Liverpool at The Oasis Club, Manchester. The groups set started with their version of 'Hippy Hippy Shake'.

1967 - Jimi Hendrix
The Jimi Hendrix Experience appeared at the Blue Pad Club in Darlington, England which was part of the Imperial Hotel Complex on Grange Road. The show was advertised as "Don't miss this man who is Dylan, Clapton, and James Brown all in one". After the show, as the roadies were loading up a van, one of Hendrix's Fender guitars was stolen.

1969 - Yoko Ono
Yoko Ono divorced her husband Tony Cox, Yoko was granted custody of their daughter Kyoko. John Lennon married Yoko the following month on 30th March.

1973 - Keith Emerson
Keith Emerson of Emerson Lake and Palmer injured his hands when his piano rigged to explode as a stunt, detonated prematurely during a concert in San Francisco.

1974 - Carpenters
The Carpenters started a four week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'The Singles 1969-73', featuring 12 hits and the US No.1 'Top Of The World' it went back to the top of the charts on three other occasions.

1976 - Genesis
Genesis released 'A Trick Of The Tail', their seventh studio album and the first to feature drummer Phil Collins as full-time lead vocalist following the departure of original vocalist Peter Gabriel. After auditioning over 400 vocalists, which saw Collins teaching the potential lead singers the songs, the band decided that Collins should be the new vocalist.

1979 - Sid Vicious
Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious died of a heroin overdose in New York City. There had been a party to celebrate Vicious' release on $50,000 (£29,412) bail pending his trial for the murder of his former girlfriend, Nancy Spungen, the previous October. Party guests, said that Vicious had taken heroin at midnight. An autopsy confirmed that Vicious died from an accumulation of fluid in the lungs that was consistent with heroin overdose. A syringe, spoon and heroin residue were discovered near the body.

1980 - Specials
The Specials were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Special A.K.A. Live E.P'. The lead track 'Too Much Too Young' was the shortest song to reach No.1 on the UK singles chart in the 1980s at 2'04".

1989 - George Michael
George Michael received undisclosed damages in excess of £100,000 ($170,000) from The Sun newspaper over articles printed that stated Michael had gatecrashed a party given by Andrew Lloyd Weber and was drunk and abusive.

1993 - Willie Nelson
Willie Nelson agreed to pay $9 million of the $16.7 million he owed the Internal Revenue Service. His accountants, Price Waterhouse, had not been paying Nelson's taxes for years and in addition to the unpaid taxes, Nelson's situation was worsened by the weak investments he had made during the early 1980s.

2001 - Buster Bloodvessel
Bad Manners singer Buster Bloodvessel was told he was 'too fat' to survive an urgently needed operation. Buster collapsed on stage during a show in Italy but Doctors felt that his huge 30 stone frame might not make it through surgery.

2002 - Stevie Wonder
The Phonographic Performance Ltd launched performersmoney.com for artists to check if they were owed any of the £10 million ($17 million) in unclaimed money. It showed that Michael Jackson was owed over £100,000 ($170,000) for 'Say, Say, Say', Stevie Wonder had money owing for 'Ebony And Ivory' and Ray Davies of The Kinks was owed a six-figure fee for 'You Really Got Me'. Director Dominic McGonigal said "If anyone has seen Rick Astley please let him know, he is still earning money for his hits."

2003 - Tatu
Russian girl duo Tatu started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'All The Things She Said'. The song had been a hit on the Russian charts three years earlier. Tatu were the first Russian act to score a UK No 1.

2007 - Billy Henderson
American singer Billy Henderson, one of the founders of US soul group The Spinners, died aged 67 after complications from diabetes. They had several hits in the 1970s, including ‘I'll Be Around’ (1972) and ‘Could It Be I'm Falling in Love’, ‘Then Came You’ (with Dionne Warwick), and "It's a Shame". The Spinners also scored the the 1980 UK No.1 & US No.2 single 'Working My Way Back To You.'

2007 - Joe Hunter
US keyboardist Joe Hunter, a veteran session musician as one of the Funk Brothers who helped craft the distinctive Motown sound, died in Detroit, Michigan, at the age of 79. Hunter performed with such legendary Motown acts as Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson and Martha and the Vandellas.

2008 - Spice Girls
The Spice Girls cut short their reunion world tour, blaming "family and personal commitments". The band said they would end their tour in Toronto on 26 February, with planned shows in Beijing, Sydney, Cape Town and Buenos Aires being axed. A spokesman for the group said: "Sadly, the tour needs to come to an end by the end of February due to family and personal commitments."

2013 - The Beatles
A 1960’s Beatles Record Player, produced for fans as a commercial Beatles memorabilia item, fetched $12,100 in an online auction. The Record Player, which was highly-sought by Beatles collectors worldwide, was manufactured in a limited quantity. Because of this, some believed there was still a strong possibility a few remaining players to be discovered.

2014 - Skinny Puppy
Skinny Puppy sent the US government an invoice after finding out their music was used as torture device in Guantanamo Bay. Despite the band's aggressive sound, they said they had never envisioned their music being used in such a way. Asked how they felt about their songs allegedly being used in the detention camp, singer Cavin Key replied: "Not too good. We never supported those types of scenarios. … Because we make unsettling music, we can see it being used in a weird way. But it doesn’t sit right with us."

2020 - Ivan Král
Czech-born American musician, filmmaker, record producer and singer-songwriter Ivan Král died age 71. He played bass with Blondie, Patti Smith and Iggy Pop. His songs have been recorded by such artists as U2, Pearl Jam, David Bowie, Simple Minds and John Waite, among others.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1940 - Alan Caddy
Alan Caddy, guitarist with The Tornadoes, who had a 1962 UK & US No.1 single with ‘Telstar’. This was the first major hit from a UK act on the American chart. Caddy died on August 16th 2000.

1942 - Graham Nash
British-American singer-songwriter Graham Nash, known for his light tenor voice and for his songwriting contributions as a member of The Hollies and supergroup Crosby, Stills & Nash. Nash initially met both David Crosby and Stephen Stills in 1966 during a Hollies US tour. CSN's scored the hit singles 'Marrakesh Express' (which had been rejected by the Hollies), 'Our House', 'Teach Your Children'.

1943 - Peter Macbeth
Peter Macbeth from The Foundations who had the 1967 UK No.1 single 'Baby Now That I've Found You' and the 1969 US No.3 single 'Build Me Up A Buttercup'.

1945 - Ronnie Goodson
Ronnie Goodson, from John Fred and His Playboy Band who had the 1968 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)' which was a parodic play on the title of The Beatles' song 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'.

1946 - Howard Bellamy
Howard Bellamy from the Bellamy Brothers who had the 1976 US No.1 single 'Let Your Love Flow', and the 1979 UK No.3 single 'If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me'.

1948 - Alan Mckay
Alan Mckay, guitarist with Earth, Wind & Fire, who had the 1975 US No.1 single 'Shining Star', and the 1981 UK No.3 single 'Let's Groove'. The band has received 20 Grammy nominations and were the first African-American act to sell out Madison Square Garden.

1949 - Ross Valory
American musician Ross Valory, best known as the bass player for the rock band Journey. He also played with Frumious Bandersnatch followed by the Steve Miller Band appearing on Rock Love. Valory was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Journey in 2017.

1951 - Alphonso Johnson
American jazz bassist Alphonso Johnson who was a member of the influential jazz fusion group Weather Report from 1973 to 1975, and has performed and recorded with numerous high-profile rock and jazz acts including Santana, Phil Collins, Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead, and Chet Baker.

1952 - Rick Dufay
Rick Dufay American guitarist who played in Aerosmith in the period after Brad Whitford left the band in 1980 up to his return in 1984.

1963 - Eva Cassidy
Eva Cassidy, US singer. She is the only artist to score three posthumous UK No.1 albums: 2001’s 'Songbird'; 2002’s 'Imagine' and 2003’s 'American Tune'. In 2001 she also had a UK No.42 single with ‘Over The Rainbow’ and the 2007 UK No.1 single 'What a Wonderful World' with Katie Melua. Eva died of skin cancer on November 2nd 1996, aged 33.

1964 - Charlie Heather
Charlie Heather, drummer with English folk rock band The Levellers who had the 1995 UK No.12 single 'Just The One'.

1966 - Robert Deleo
Born on this day in Montclair, New Jersey, was Robert DeLeo, bassist with Stone Temple Pilots, Talk Show and Army of Anyone. His elder brother, guitarist Dean DeLeo, was also a member of the band.

1966 - Steve Firth
Steve Firth, bassist from English alternative rock band Embrace, who had the 2006 UK No. 2 single ‘Natures Law’, the 2006 UK No.1 album This New Day and two other UK No.1 albums.

1969 - John Spence
John Spence, singer, and original member of No Doubt in the late 1980s. Committed suicide on December 21st 1987 by shooting himself.

1971 - Ben Mize
Ben Mize, drummer from American rock band Counting Crows, who had the 1994 UK hit single 'Mr Jones', and the 1996 US No.1 album Recovering The Satellites. They received a 2004 Academy Award nomination for their song 'Accidentally in Love', which was included in the film Shrek 2.

1977 - Shakira
Shakira, (Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll), singer who had the 2002 UK No.2 single 'Whenever Wherever' and the 2006 world-wide No.1 single 'Hips Don't Lie'. She is the highest selling Colombian artist of all time, having sold over forty million albums.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Wednesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1959 - Buddy Holly
22 year old Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens, aged 17, died in a crash shortly after take-off from Clear Lake, Iowa, the pilot of the single-engine Beechcraft Bonanza plane was also killed. Holly hired the plane after heating problems developed on his tour bus. All three were travelling to Fargo, North Dakota, for the next show on their Winter Dance Party Tour which Holly had set - covering 24 cities in three weeks, to make money after the break-up of his band, The Crickets, last year.

1967 - Joe Meek
Producer Joe Meek shot his landlady Violet Shenton and then shot himself at his flat in London, Meek produced The Tornadoes hit 'Telstar', the first No.1 in the US by a British group. Meek was interested in spirituality and often attended séances. At one such meeting in 1958 he was warned that Buddy Holly would die on February 3. Meek tried his best to find Holly when he was in London to warn him but failed in his mission. Holly died on February 3, 1959.

1968 - Lemon Pipers
One Hit Wonders The Lemon Pipers went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Green Tambourine' the song was a No.7 hit in the UK. The song has been credited as being one of the first bubblegum pop chart-toppers.

1968 - The Beatles
The Beatles started work on their new single 'Lady Madonna' at Abbey Road studios in London. Recording three piano and drum takes with overdub bass, fuzz guitars, drums, and vocals.

1970 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II was in the Top 20 on both the UK & US album charts after peaking at No.1. The album went on to spend 138 weeks on the UK chart. The album is now recognized by writers and music critics as one of the greatest and most influential rock albums ever recorded.

1973 - Elton John
Elton John started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Crocodile Rock'. Elton's first of five US No.1 singles was inspired by John's discovery of leading Australian band Daddy Cool and their hit single 'Eagle Rock'.

1979 - Blondie
Blondie had their first of five UK No.1 singles, with 'Heart Of Glass', taken from the band's third studio album, Parallel Lines. 'Heart of Glass' was originally recorded in 1975 under the name 'Once I Had a Love.'

1986 - Dire Straits
Dire Straits were at No.1 on the UK album charts with their fifth studio album Brothers in Arms. With ten weeks at No.1, the album is the seventh best-selling album in UK chart history and won two Grammy Awards in 1986, and also won Best British Album at the 1987 Brit Awards. Brothers in Arms also spent nine weeks at No.1 on the Billboard 200 in the US, and thirty-four weeks at No.1 on the Australian Album Chart.

1990 - Kylie Minogue
For the first time ever, the UK Top 3 singles featured non-British and non-American acts. Ireland's Sinead O’Connor, Australia's Kylie Minogue and Belgium's Technetronic. Sinead O'Connor had her first No.1 single with Nothing Compares To U', a song written by Prince.

1992 - Pearl Jam
On their first Europe tour Pearl Jam played at The Esplanade Club in Southend, England to 300 people, the bands first ever UK show. The tour also took Pearl Jam to Norway, Sweden, Holland, France, Spain and Italy.

1999 - Gwen Guthrie
American soul singer Gwen Guthrie died of cancer aged 48. She sang backing vocals for Aretha Franklin, Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder and Madonna and wrote songs for Sister Sledge and Roberta Flack. She scored the 1986 R&B No.1 'Ain't Nothin' Goin' on But the Rent'.

1999 - Tony Hadley
Tony Hadley singer with Spandau Ballet told a High Court in London of his "desperate" financial situation after his solo career failed. Hadley and band members Steve Norman and drummer John Keeble, were suing Spandau Ballet songwriter Gary Kemp for hundreds of thousands of pounds of allegedly unpaid publishing royalties. Hadley earned £120,000 a year during the band's heyday in the early 1980s, but the court heard that when he fell on hard times he was forced him to sell his home to pay off a £50,000 overdraft in 1993.

2004 - R Kelly
R. Kelly appeared in Court and entered of plea of not guilty to 21 charges of child pornography. Kelly, who was free on bond, did not talk during the brief hearing. Outside the Cook County Criminal Courthouse fans voiced their support for the singer, proclaiming his innocence with placards and T-shirts. Kelly had been arrested in Florida after he was indicted by a grand jury in Chicago on 21 counts of child pornography, stemming from a videotape that allegedly shows the star performing sexual acts with a 14-year-old girl.

2004 - Puff Daddy
Sean 'P. Diddy' Combs settled a $3 million (£1.76 million) court case filed by his former driver after an incident in 1999. Wardell Fenderson had driven Mr Combs and his then-girlfriend Jennifer Lopez away from a New York nightclub where three people had been wounded in a shooting. Mr Fenderson said he was traumatized by having guns in the car and being ordered to ignore police orders to stop, for which he was arrested.

2004 - Cornelius Bumpus
American woodwind, keyboard player and vocalist Cornelius Bumpus died of a heart attack at age 58. He toured with The Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan. Bumpus became ill while on an airline flight from New York to California, where he was scheduled to perform at the Columbia College Jazz Concert Series. The plane made an emergency landing in Sioux City, Iowa but Bumpus died by the time the plane reached the ground.

2007 - Wayne Fontana
Wayne Fontana, of 'Game Of Love' fame, was arrested at his home in Glossop, Derbyshire, England and charged with arson with intent to endanger life. The 61 year-old, who was already set to appear in court in March on traffic offenses, was accused of pouring gasoline over a bailiff's car and setting it on fire. The following November, he was sentenced to 11 months in jail, but was allowed to walk free from court immediately after already serving the equivalent of his term while held under the Mental Health Act.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2008 - Adele
UK singer Adele went to No.1 on the UK album chart with her debut album '19'. As of December 2011, worldwide sales for the album stood at over 6.5 million copies.

2010 - AC/DC
AC/DC singer Brian Johnson, joined a growing group of critics of Bob Geldof and U2 singer Bono over their very public charity work, saying they should stop lecturing audiences about charity work and instead do their good deeds in private. Johnson said "When I was a working man I didn't want to go to a concert for some **ahem** to talk down to me that I should be thinking of some kid in Africa. I'm sorry mate, do it yourself, spend some of your own money and get it done. It just makes me angry."

2014 - Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen was at No.1 on the US chart with his eighteenth studio album High Hopes. His eleventh No.1 album in the US, placed him third all-time for most No. 1 albums only behind The The Beatles and Jay-Z. The album is a collection of cover songs, out-takes and re-imagined versions of tracks from past albums, EPs and tours.

2018 - Leon Chancler
American pop, funk and jazz drummer Leon Chancler died in Los Angeles, California of prostate cancer, at the age of 65. He worked with Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Michael Jackson's (on 'Billie Jean'), Donna Summer, Carlos Santana, The Crusaders, Frank Sinatra, Weather Report, Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers, Thelonious Monk, Herbie Hancock and John Lee Hooker.

1928 - Val Doonican
Val Doonican, Irish singer, and television presenter who had the 1964 UK No. 4 single 'Walk Tall', and 1967 UK No.1 album 'Val Doonican Rocks, But Gently'. Doonican died at a nursing home in Buckinghamshire on 1 July 2015, aged 88.

1928 - Frankie Vaughan
Frankie Vaughan, UK singer. During the 50s he scored twenty UK Top 30 singles including, UK No.2 'Green Door'. He was made an OBE in 1965. Vaughan died 17th Sept 1999 aged 71.

1935 - Johnny 'guitar' Watson
Johnny 'guitar' Watson, American blues guitarist, singer. His ferocious 'Space Guitar' single of 1954 pioneered guitar feedback and reverb. Watson died on 17th May 1996 while on tour in Yokohama, Japan. According to eyewitness reports, he collapsed mid-guitar solo. His last words were "ain't that a **ahem**".

1940 - Angelo D'Aleo
Angelo D'Aleo, vocals, Dion And The Belmonts, who 1961 US No.1 & UK No.11 single 'Runaround Sue'.

1943 - Dennis Edwards
Dennis Edwards, singer with The Temptations, who had the 1971 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Just My Imagination' and re- issued 'My Girl' UK No.2 in 1992.

1943 - Eric Haydock
Eric Haydock best known as the original bass guitarist of The Hollies from December 1962 until July 1966. He was one of the first British musicians to play a Fender Bass VI, a six-string bass. Haydock died on 5 January age 75.

1946 - Stan Webb
Stan Webb, guitar, vocals, with British group Chicken Shack, who had the 1969 UK No.14 single 'I'd Rather Go Blind'.

1947 - Dave Davies
English singer, songwriter and guitarist Dave Davies, with The Kinks who scored the 1964 UK No.1 & US No.7 'You Really Got Me', and the 1967 UK No.2 single 'Waterloo Sunset' plus 19 other UK Top 40 singles. Davies suffered a stroke in 2004 after being interviewed by the BBC in London where he had been promoting his then current album, Bug.

1947 - Melanie
Melanie Safka, US singer, songwriter who had the 1971 US No.1 & 1972 UK No.4 single 'Brand New Key'.

1949 - Arthur Kane
Arthur ‘Killer’ Kane, bass guitarist with The New York Dolls, who had the 1973 album 'New York Dolls'. Kane died in Los Angeles on July 13th 2004, due to complications from leukemia, aged 55.

1956 - Lee Ranaldo
Lee Ranaldo, guitarist with American alternative rock band Sonic Youth, who had the 1993 UK hit single 'Sugar Kane'. The band is considered to be a pivotal influence on the alternative and indie rock movements.

1959 - Lol Tolhurst
Lol Tolhurst, keyboards, with The Cure, who had the 1989 US No.2 single 'Love Song', the 1992 UK No.6 single 'Friday I'm In Love', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles.

1965 - Nick Hawkins
Nick Hawkins, guitarist with Big Audio Dynamite who had the 1986 UK No.11 single 'E=MC2'.

1969 - Matt Johnson
Matt Johnson, British keyboardist with Jamiroquai who had the 1993 UK No.1 album Emergency on Planet Earth and the 1998 UK No.1 single 'Deeper Underground'. Jamiroquai have sold more than 26 million albums worldwide and won a Grammy Award in 1998.

1970 - Richie Kotzen
Richie Kotzen, Mr. Big, with American hard rock supergroup Mr. Big, who had the 1992 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'To Be With You'.

1977 - Daddy Yankee
Puerto Rican singer, songwriter, rapper, actor and record producer Daddy Yankee. He featured on the 2017 single 'Despacito (Remix)' with Justin Bieber and Luis Fonsi.

1990 - Sean Kingston
Sean Kingston, (Ka'Shon Anderson), Jamaican-American reggae, rap and pop musician who scored the 2007 US and UK No.1 single 'Beautiful Girls'.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Thursday.

Post 1 of 2:

1965 - The Righteous Brothers
The Righteous Brothers were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the Phil Spector song 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'. Also a US No.1 at the same time. In 1999 the PRS announced that it was the most played song of the 20th Century.

1966 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan and The Band played at the Convention Center in Louisville, Kentucky. This was the first date on a world tour which would become noted as Dylan's first that used electric instruments, after he had ‘gone electric’ at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival.

1966 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones released '19th Nervous Breakdown' it reached No.2 on both the US and UK charts, while topping the NME charts and was the fifth best-selling single of 1966 in the UK.

1967 - Monkees
The Monkees self-titled debut album started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK chart.

1968 - The Beatles
Working at Abbey Road studios, London, The Beatles recorded 'Across The Universe'. John and Paul decided the song needed some falsetto harmonies so they invited two girl fans into the studio to sing on the song. The two were Lizzie Bravo, a 16-year-old Brazilian living near Abbey Road and 17-year-old Londoner Gaylene Pease.

1972 - David Bowie
During sessions at Trident Studios, London, England, David Bowie recorded 'Rock 'n' Roll Suicide', 'Starman' and 'Suffragette City', the last songs recorded for the The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars album.

1975 - Louis Jordon
American jazz, blues, songwriter and saxophonist Louis Jordon died aged 66. Known as "The King of the Jukebox", between 1942-1950 he scored eighteen No.1 singles and fifty-four Top Ten hits on the US R&B chart.

1976 - Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac released the Stevie Nicks penned 'Rhiannon', from their eponymous album released in 1975. Nicks discovered the Rhiannon character through a novel called Triad by Mary Bartlet Leader. The novel is about a woman named Branwen who is possessed by another woman named Rhiannon.

1977 - Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac released Rumours. The songs 'Go Your Own Way', 'Don't Stop', 'Dreams', and 'You Make Loving Fun' were released as singles. Rumours is Fleetwood Mac's most successful release; along with winning the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1978, the record has sold over 45 million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling albums of all time.

1978 - Bee Gees
The Bee Gees started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Staying Alive'. From the film soundtrack Saturday Night Fever, it gave the brothers their fifth US No.1, also No.1 in the UK.

1978 - Althia and Donna
'Up Town Ranking' by Althia and Donna was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. It was the Jamaican duo's only hit, making the teenagers One Hit Wonders.

1982 - Alex Harvey
Scottish singer Alex Harvey died of a heart attack while waiting to take a ferry back to shore after performing a concert with his new band, the Electric Cowboys. In an ambulance on the way to the hospital, he suffered a second heart attack, this one fatal. It occurred on the day before his 47th birthday, in Zeebrugen, Belgium. Formed Alex Harvey Big Soul Band in 1959 and then mid 1960s band Tear Gas. Had the 1975 UK No.7 single with Sensational Alex Harvey Band 'Delilah' and 1973 album 'Next'.

1983 - The Smiths
The Smiths appeared at The Hacienda, Manchester, England. The group were set to release their debut single 'Hand in Glove' in two months time.

1983 - Karen Carpenter
Karen Carpenter died aged 32 of a cardiac arrest at her parent's house in Downey, California; the coroner's report gave the cause of death of imbalances associated with anorexia nervosa. The Carpenters 1970 album Close to You, featured two hit singles: ‘(They Long to Be) Close to You’ and ‘We've Only Just Begun.’ They peaked at No.1 and No.2, on the US chart. In 1975 - in Playboy's annual opinion poll; its readers voted Karen Carpenter the Best Rock Drummer of the year.

1984 - Culture Club
Culture Club started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Karma Chameleon' the group's 5th US Top 10 hit, also a No.1 in the UK.

1995 - Celine Dion
Celine Dion started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Think Twice'. The song peaked at No.95 on the US chart. 'Think Twice' received an Ivor Novello Award for the Song of the Year in 1995.

2000 - Bjorn Ulvaeus
Bjorn Ulvaeus confirmed that the members of ABBA had turned down a $1 billion (£0.58 billion) offer by American and British consortium to reform the group. "It is a hell of a lot of money to say no to, but we decided it wasn't for us," band member Benny Andersson told the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.

2003 - Courtney Love
Courtney Love was arrested at Heathrow airport for 'endangering an aircraft' on a transatlantic flight. The singer was said to have hurled abuse at the cabin crew on the flight from Los Angeles to London after her nurse who was in an economy seat was barred access to sit with Love in the upper class cabin.

2004 - Noel Gallagher
Police questioned Noel Gallagher after a photograph of him trespassing on a railway line appeared in a newspaper. The Oasis guitarist was in a studio in Cornwall recording the bands new album when he took a walk along the railway line. British Transport Police said 'he was setting a bad example.'

2007 - Razorlight
A Razorlight's gig in Lyon was halted mid-set because of an altercation between singer Johnny Borrell and bassist Carl Dalemo. The pair exchanged insults before they came to blows onstage. Borrell then stormed off leaving the French crowd amazed and unsure about what was going on.

2009 - Lux Interior
Lux Interior, (Erick Lee Purkhiser) singer and founding member of The Cramps died aged 62. He met his wife (better known as Poison Ivy, a.k.a. Ivy Rorschach), in Sacramento in 1972, when he and a friend picked her up when she was hitchhiking. The couple later founded The Cramps.

2009 - Led Zeppelin
Robert Plant said he felt Led Zeppelin couldn't reunite for a full tour because the band feels incomplete without drummer John Bonham. In an interview on Absolute Radio Plant stated, 'The reason that it stopped was because we were incomplete, and we've been incomplete now for 29 years,' he said. He admitted: 'I think the thing about it is really, is that to visit old ground, it's a very incredibly delicate thing to do, and the disappointment that could be there once you commit to that and the comparisons to something that was basically fired by youth and a different kind of exuberance to now, it's very hard to go back and meet that head on and do it justice'.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2013 - Reg Presley
Reg Presley lead singer with the Sixties rock and roll band The Troggs, died aged 71. Hit singles, included 'Wild Thing', 'I Can't Control Myself' and the UK No.1 'With a Girl Like You'. He also wrote the song 'Love Is All Around', which featured in the film Four Weddings and a Funeral and was a No.1 hit for Wet Wet Wet in 1994. Presley used his royalties from that cover to fund research subjects such as alien spacecraft, lost ‎Civilizations‎, alchemy, and crop circles, and outlined his findings in the book Wild Things They Don't Tell Us, published in October 2002.

2016 - Maurice White
American singer-songwriter, musician, record producer, arranger and bandleader Maurice White died. With Earth, Wind & Fire, he had the 1975 US No.1 single 'Shining Star', and the 1981 UK No.3 single 'Let's Groove'. White won seven Grammys, and was nominated for a total of twenty Grammys and also worked with Denice Williams, The Emotions, Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond.

2016 - Van Morrison
Van Morrison described becoming a Sir as "amazing" and "exhilarating" after receiving a knighthood from the Prince of Wales at Buckingham Palace. He received his knighthood for services to the music industry and tourism in Northern Ireland.

2017 - Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath the band credited with inventing heavy metal music, played their last concert. The two-hour gig at the NEC Arena in their home city of Birmingham saw the rock veterans play 15 songs ending with their first hit, 'Paranoid'. Ticker tape and balloons fell as singer Ozzy Osbourne, 68, thanked fans for nearly five decades of support. Sabbath's The End Tour began in the US in January last year and took in 81 dates across the world.

2020 - Brian Wilson
Beach Boys co-founder Brian Wilson asked fans to boycott the band he helped start because of a forthcoming performance at a hunting event in Nevada. In a tweet Wilson said there was nothing he could do to stop the concert at Safari Club International's annual convention in Reno, Nevada, which would feature the touring group led by co-founder Mike Love. The convention would also include a keynote speech by Donald Trump Jr. Animal rights activists described the annual convention as one of the world's largest gatherings for trophy hunters and a celebration of the "senseless killing" of hundreds of animals.

2021 - Elton John
Sir Elton John said he had "very positive" talks with British Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden about EU travel for UK musicians, but said visa-free touring was not currently "on the cards". John was one of many stars that had signed a letter demanding action to cut red tape and fees for musicians after Brexit saying that the matter was "swept under the carpet" before the UK left the EU.

1929 - Paul Burlison
Paul Burlison, American pioneer rockabilly guitarist and a founding member of The Rock and Roll Trio. Burlison worked with Johnny and Dorsey Burnette. He died on Sept 27th 2003.

1941 - John Steel
John Steel, drummer with The Animals who had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'House Of The Rising Sun'.

1941 - Mike Deasy
American rock and jazz guitarist Mike Deasy. He worked as a member of The Wrecking Crew on sessions for Phil Spector, and contributed guitar parts to The Beach Boys album Pet Sounds. In the 1960s and later years he also worked on records by the Monkees, the Association, Scott McKenzie, Randy Newman, Spanky & Our Gang, Tommy Roe, Fats Domino, The Byrds, Michael Jackson, Helen Reddy, Frank Zappa, and others.

1943 - Barry Beckett
Barry Beckett, keyboardist, session musician in the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section at the Muscle Shoals studio in Sheffield, Alabama. He worked with many artists including Paul Simon and Traffic.

1943 - Jimmy Johnson
Jimmy Johnson, American guitarist best known as part of the studio backing band known as the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section of Alabama. He played on many hits and countless sessions including, Percy Sledge, Aretha Franklin, Clarence Carter, Arthur Conley, Wilson Pickett, Joe Cocker, Paul Simon, Rod Stewart. He also engineered The Rolling Stones album, Sticky Fingers. Johnston died of a suspected heart attack on 11 September 2019 at his home in Waller, Texas, at the age of 58.

1944 - Florence Larue
Florence Larue, from The 5th Dimension who had the 1969 US No.1 & UK No.11 single 'Aquarius'.

1947 - Margie and Mary Ann Ganser
Margie and Mary Ann Ganser, vocalists for The Shangri-Las, who had a 1964 US No.1 & UK No.11 single with ‘Leader Of The Pack’. Mary Ann died in New York on March 15, 1970, aged 22, of a drug overdose. Margie died of breast cancer on July 28th 1996 age 48.

1948 - Alice Cooper
American singer, songwriter Alice Cooper, (Vincent Furnier), who formed the Earwigs, and then the Alice Cooper Band, who had the 1972 UK No.1 & US No.7 single 'School's Out', the 1972 hit 'Elected' and the 1973 US & UK No.1 album Billion Dollar Babies. Cooper's live shows featured guillotines, electric chairs, fake blood, deadly snakes, baby dolls, and dueling swords. Cooper is now also a radio presenter.

1950 - James Dunn
James Dunn, singer with the Philadelphia soul group The Stylistics who had the 1974 US No.2 single 'You Make Me Feel Brand New', and the 1975 UK No.1 single 'Can't Give You Anything But My Love' and twelve consecutive US R&B top ten hits.

1951 - Phil Ehart
Phil Ehart, from American rock band Kansas, who scored the 1978 US No.3 single 'Dust In The Wind', and the 1978 hit single 'Carry On Wayward Son'. which was the second-most-played track on US classic rock radio in 1995 and No.1 in 1997.

1952 - Jerry Shirley
Jerry Shirley, drummer with Humble Pie who had the 1969 UK No.4 single 'Natural Born Bugie'.

1960 - Tim Booth
Tim Booth, vocals, with English group James who had the 1991 UK No.2 single 'Sit Down'. Booth has also released solo projects.

1962 - Clint Black
Clint Black, country music singer-songwriter, record producer, multi-instrumentalist and actor. Black made his debut with his Killin' Time album, which produced four No.1 singles on the US Billboard Hot Country Singles charts. He has amassed more than 30 singles on the US country charts (of which 13 have reached No.1).

1963 - Wasserman
Wasserman, guitarist from American punk rock band The Offspring, who had the 1999 UK No.1 single 'Pretty Fly, (For A White Guy)', and the 1999 US No.6 & UK No.10 album Americana.

1968 - Steve Queralt
Steve Queralt, from British indie group Ride who had the 1992 UK No.9 single 'Leave Them All Behind'.

1975 - Natalie Imbruglia
Natalie Imbruglia, actress, singer, who had the 1997 UK No.2 single 'Torn', from the 1997 UK No.5 album 'Left Of The Middle'. Imbruglia was known to audiences as Beth Brennan in the popular Australian soap Neighbor's.

1982 - Kimberly Wyatt
Kimberly Wyatt, American singer-songwriter, dancer, model, actress and choreographer. She is best known as a former member of the Pussycat Dolls who she joined in 2003. In 2010, she announced her departure from the group, continuing with her new band Her Majesty & The Wolves.

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Very cool! @MOHLovesAlaska 

I love Fleetwood Mac ❤️

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

@AlyssaPandora  thank you, and speaking of Fleetwood Mac, there lacks music from them on the GSOTD playlist. I will be sure to add some of the top hits they have tomorrow. I will give you all the credit by making mention of you for tomorrow's selections. Thank you @AlyssaPandora . Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos