cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

This Day In Music History for this first Monday of the year.

Post 1 of 2:

1954 - Elvis Presley
Four days before his 20th birthday Elvis Presley made his second visit to the Memphis recording service and cut two songs onto a 10 acetate, 'Casual Love Affair 'and 'I'll Never Stand In Your Way'. Studio boss Sam Phillips asked Presley to leave his phone number.

1962 - The Beatles
Liverpool's Mersey Beat published its first popularity poll, with The Beatles coming in first place and Gerry and the Pacemakers voted second.

1967 - The Doors
The Doors released their self-titled debut album The Doors. The album features their breakthrough single 'Light My Fire' and the lengthy song 'The End' with its Oedipal spoken word section. The album was recorded at Sunset Sound Studios in Hollywood, California over six days and unique packaging of the album included each band members bio.

1967 - Jimi Hendrix
The Jimi Hendrix Experience played the first of what would be over 240 gigs in this year when they appeared at the Bromel Club, Bromley. (Many of the concerts were two shows per night).

1968 - The Rolling Stones
The University of California, Los Angeles announced that students taking music degrees would have to study the music of The Rolling Stones saying they had made such an important contribution to modern music.

1969 - The Beatles
UK music weekly Disc and Music Echo reported that The Beatles were to release five new albums. One would be their first ever live album plus four separate LP's, each one the choice of Lennon, McCartney, Harrison and Starr.

1970 - The Beatles
The Beatles (without John Lennon) re-record vocals and a new guitar solo on the Paul McCartney song 'Let It Be' at Studio Two, EMI Studios, London. This session will be the final studio appearance for The Beatles, as a group. (The final date that all four of The Beatles were in the studio together is August 20, 1969).

1970 - Keith Moon
Chauffeur Neil Boland was accidentally killed when The Who's drummer Keith Moon ran over him in his Bentley. Moon was trying to escape from a Gang of skinheads after a fight broke out at a pub in Hatfield, England. Boland got out to try to protect the car, but left it in gear. He fell under the car and it started moving with Moon at the wheel as he tried to escape the fight. The drummer had never passed his driving test.

1974 - Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen played the first of a three night run at Joes' Place in Cambridge Massachusetts. Supported by Peter Johnson & The Manic Depressives. On the ticket it stated: Because of the energy crisis all our outside lights except for one will be shut off.

1975 - Elton John
Elton John started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with his version of The Beatles 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds'. His third US No.1, the song featured John Lennon on guitar.

1977 - Sex Pistols
The Sex Pistols shocked passengers and airline staff at Heathrow Airport when they spat and vomited boarding a plane to Amsterdam.

1986 - Phil Lynott
Irish singer, songwriter and bassist Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy died of heart failure and pneumonia after being in a coma for eight days following a drug overdose. With Thin Lizzy he had the 1973 hit 'Whiskey in the Jar', (their version of the traditional Irish song) and hits with ‘The Boys Are Back in Town’, ‘Jailbreak’ and ‘Waiting for an Alibi’. The groups 1978 album 'Live and Dangerous' spent 62 weeks on the UK chart. Lynott fronted several bands as a lead vocalist, including Skid Row alongside Gary Moore. A life-size bronze statue of Phil Lynott was unveiled on Harry Street in Dublin Ireland in 2005.

2001 - Courtney Love
Courtney Love filed a lawsuit against her alleged stalker claiming that Lesley Barber, the ex-wife of her current boyfriend Jim Barber, drove over her foot. This had forced her to forfeit her role in a forthcoming film and lost her the £200,000, ($340,000) fee that went with it.

2001 - Vanilla Ice
US rapper Vanilla Ice spent the night in jail after allegedly ripping out some of his wife's hair. Ice (born Robert Van Winkle) told police he pulled out some of his wife's hair to prevent her from jumping out of their truck's window. He was released the following morning from Broward County Jail in Fort Lauderdale on $3,500 bail.

2004 - Britney Spears
Britney Spears had her surprise marriage annulled less than 55 hours after tying the knot at the Little White Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas with childhood friend Jason Alexander. The couple married on Saturday morning, during a night out in Las Vegas, but immediately her lawyers filed for an annulment, saying
Spears 'lacked understanding of her actions to the extent that she was incapable of agreeing to the marriage.'

2005 - Eminem
The owner of a recording studio where Eminem recorded his 'Slim Shady' LP was found shot dead. AJ Abdallah, who was 36, was discovered by a business colleague at the Detroit studio, it was thought he had been dead for at least two days. Police suggested that a robbery may also have taken place. Mr Abdallah had lived in a apartment above the studio on Eight Mile Road, the Detroit street which inspired the title of Eminem's 2002 film '8 Mile.'

2006 - Johnny Cash
The house where Johnny Cash lived for 35 years was bought by Bee Gees singer Barry Gibb. The rustic house near Nashville, Tennessee went on the market in June 2005 with an asking price of $2.9m (£1.7m). Gibb said he planned to preserve the house to honour the Cash memory. Unfortunately Gibb's ownership of the house was short-lived. In April 2007, the house burned to the ground. Gibb was having the house renovated when a flammable spray sealer caused fire to break out during construction.

2008 - Beyoncé
Beyoncé won a long-running legal wrangle over claims her hit song 'Baby Boy' infringed the copyright of another artist's work. The appeals court in Houston, Texas upheld a 2006 decision which dismissed musician Jennifer Armour's claims that its lyrics were based on her work. Ms. Armour claimed she had posted 'I Got A Little Bit Of Love For You' to Beyoncé's manager and record company in early 2003.

2008 - Britney Spears
Britney Spears was carried out of her home on a stretcher and taken into custody after police were called in a dispute involving her children. Police were called to Spears' home over a family custodial dispute that they tried to resolve, after nearly three hours, Spears handed over her children, two-year-old Sean Preston and one-year-old Jayden James, to her ex-husband Kevin Federline.

2009 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant was voted the Greatest Voice In Rock by listeners of radio station Planet Rock. Plant beat Queen's Freddie Mercury, Free  Paul Rodgers and Deep Purple's Ian Gillan to the top spot in the UK poll.

2011 - Gerry Rafferty
Scottish singer songwriter Gerry Rafferty died aged 63 after a long illness. Rafferty had been a member of Stealers Wheel, who had the 1973 US No.3 & UK No.8 single 'Stuck In The Middle With You' and had the solo 1978 UK No.3 and US No.2 single 'Baker Street.'

2016 - Robert Stigwood
Australian-born British-resident music entrepreneur, film producer and impresario, Robert Stigwood died aged 81. He was best known for managing Cream and the Bee Gees, theatrical productions like Hair and Jesus Christ Superstar and film productions including the hugely successful Grease and Saturday Night Fever.

2020 - Miley Cyrus
Miley Cyrus reached a settlement in the $300 million copyright infringement lawsuit that accused the singer of stealing her 2013 hit 'We Can’t Stop.' The lawsuit, filed in 2018, was made by Jamaican songwriter Michael May, who alleged that 'We Can’t Stop' replicated his 1988 track 'We Run Things.'

End of post 1 of 2.
MOHLovesAlaska

Born On This Day In The Music World.

Post 2 of 2:

1937 - John Gorman
John Gorman, singer, The Scaffold, (1968 Christmas UK No.1 single 'Lily The Pink').

1942 - John McLaughlin
Born on this day in Doncaster, England, John McLaughlin, who formed the Mahavishnu Orchestra and has also worked with Carlos Santana, Stanley Clark and Jaco Pastorius. Prior to the Mahavishnu Orchestra, in the 1960s, he played with Alexis Korner, Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames, the Graham Bond Organization and Brian Auger. In 1969 he moved to New York to join Tony Williams' Lifetime. On March 25th of that year he jammed with Jimi Hendrix at the Record Plant, recalling ‘we played from 2 until 8 in the morning. In 2010, Jeff Beck called McLaughlin ‘the best guitarist alive’.

1946 - Arthur Conley
Arthur Conley, US soul singer, known for the 1967 US No.2 & UK No.7 single 'Sweet Soul Music. He first recorded in 1959 as the lead singer of Arthur & the Corvets. Conley died of cancer on 17th November 2003.

1955 - Clive Gregson
Clive Gregson, singer, songwriter, and leader of late 70s Stiff Records band Any Trouble, one half of Gregson & Collister folk duo.

1955 - Brian Ray
American session musician, guitarist, bassist, singer–songwriter and musical director, Brian Ray, best known for his work as a rhythm guitarist and bassist with Paul McCartney.

1955 - Mark Hollis
Mark Hollis, English musician and singer-songwriter. He achieved commercial success and critical acclaim in the 1980s and 1990s as the co-founder, lead singer and principal songwriter of the band Talk Talk. Hollis wrote or co-wrote most of Talk Talk's music, including hits like 'It's My Life' (1984) and 'Life's What You Make It' (1986). He died aged 64 on 25 February 2019.

1956 - Bernard Sumner
Bernard Sumner, guitar, vocals, Warsaw, Joy Division, (1980 UK No.13 single 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'), New Order, (1983 UK No.9 single 'Blue Monday'), Electronic, (1991 UK No.8 single 'Get The Message'),

1956 - Nels Cline
Nels Cline, guitarist from American alternative rock band Wilco who released the albums Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, A Ghost Is Born, Sky Blue Sky and Wilco (The Album).

1958 - Lorna Doom
American musician Lorna Doom. She was the bass guitarist for the punk rock band the Germs. Their music was influential to many later punk rock acts. Germs guitarist Pat Smear went on to achieve greater fame performing with Nirvana and Foo Fighters. Doom died on 16 January 2019 of cancer age 61.

1958 - Marcel King
Marcel King, singer from British soul group Sweet Sensation who scored the 1974 UK No.1 and US No.14 single 'Sad Sweet Dreamer'.

1960 - Michael Stipe
Michael Stipe, American singer, songwriter, musician, R.E.M. The band was pivotal in the creation and development of the alternative rock genre. They scored the 1991 UK No.6 & US No.10 single 'Shiny Happy People' plus over 20 Top 40 UK singles, and the 1992 UK No.1 & US No.2 album Automatic For The People.

1962 - Martin Mcaloon
Martin Mcaloon, bassist from English English pop band Prefab Sprout who had the 1988 UK No.7 single 'The King Of Rock 'n' Roll'.

1962 - Robin Guthrie
Scottish musician, songwriter Robin Guthrie, from Cocteau Twins. The group released the album Heaven or Las Vegas in late 1990 which became the most commercially successful of their many recordings.

1962 - Till Lindemann
Till Lindemann poet, lead vocalist for the German rock band Rammstein who formed in Berlin in 1994. Five of their albums reached No.1 on the German album charts.

1965 - Beth Gibbons
Beth Gibbons, vocals, Portishead, (1995 UK No.13 single 'Glory Box').

1965 - Cait O'Riordan
Cait O'Riordan, from Irish-British Celtic punk band The Pogues who scored the 1987 UK No.8 single 'The Irish Rover' and the 1987 UK No.2 single with Kirsty MaCcoll, 'Fairytale Of New York'.

1965 - David Glasper
David Glasper, Breathe, (1988 US No.2 & UK No.4 single 'Hands To Heaven').

1967 - Ben Darville
Ben Darville, harmonica, with Canadian rock band Crash Test Dummies best known internationally for their 1993 single 'Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm'.

1974 - Tricky Stewart
American record producer, song writer noted for producing many hip hop, R&B and pop chart topping singles, often with The-Dream. Some of Stewart's record breaking singles are: Beyoncé's “Ladies (Put a Ring On It)", Rihanna "Umbrella", Justin Bieber "Baby", Britney Spears "Me Against the Music", Mariah Carey's "Touch My Body" and Nicole Scherzinger "Your Love".

1977 - Tim Wheeler
Tim Wheeler, Northern Irish guitarist, songwriter, and vocalist from alternative rock band Ash who scored the 1995 UK No.11 single 'Girl From Mars' and the 1996 UK No.1 album 1977.

1983 - Ben Spivak
Ben Spivak singer and musician from Canadian reggae fusion band Magic! that had the 2014 US and UK No.1 hit single ‘Rude’, from their 2014 US Top 10 album Don't Kill the Magic.

1989 - Labrinth
Timothy McKenzie, better known by his stage name Labrinth, British musician, singer, songwriter, rapper who had the 2012 UK No.1 single with Emeli Sandé ‘Beneath Your Beautiful’.

Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for posting today, @MOHLovesAlaska. 🎶

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

@AlyssaPandora  you are so welcome. Thank you for your interest in this post. Have a great day. You take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

For this first Tuesday of the New Year, here is what happened in "This Day In Music History".

Post 1 of 2:

1961 - The Beatles
The Beatles played at Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool. In the audience are two members from Rory Storm & the Hurricanes: Johnny Guitar and Ringo Starr who have just returned from Hamburg, Germany.

1964 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones performed at the Ricky Tick club at the Olympia Ballroom in Reading, England. During the 1960s, the club was host to many important acts such as The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Cream. The Yardbirds were filmed performing in a recreation of the club built at MGM Studios in Borehamwood for Michelangelo Antonioni's 1966 film Blow-Up.

1967 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd and Eyes of Blue appeared at The Marquee Club London, England. Queen magazine said: "The two guitarists looked moody, the drummer thrashed wildly about and the lights kept flashing. After about twenty minutes it became very boring and after half an hour I left."

1968 - Jimi Hendrix
Jimi Hendrix was jailed for one day in Stockholm, Sweden on drink charges after going berserk and destroying everything in his room at the Goteborg Hotel.

1969 - Led Zeppelin
During the band's first North American tour, Led Zeppelin played the last of four nights at the Whisky A Go-Go, Los Angeles, with Alice Cooper as the opening act. Zeppelin were billed as 'Led Zeppelin featuring Jimmy Page, formerly of the Yardbirds'.

1973 - Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen released his debut album 'Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.' Recorded in a single week the album only sold about 25,000 copies in the first year of its release. Both 'Blinded By The Light' and 'Spirit In The Night' were released as singles but neither made a dent in the charts. Manfred Mann's Earth Band later released a version of 'Blinded By The Light' on their album 'The Roaring Silence,' which reached No.1 on the US charts in 1977.

1976 - Mal Evans
Former The Beatles roadie Mal Evans was shot dead by police at his Los Angeles apartment. His girlfriend called police when she found Evans upset with a rifle in his hand; he pointed the gun at the police who opened fire. Friends later said that Evans was depressed about his separation from his wife Lil Evans — who had asked for a divorce before Christmas.

1979 - Prince
Prince made his live debut at the Capri Theatre, Minneapolis. Warner Bros. executives attended the show but decided that Prince and the band needed more time to develop his music.

1979 - Charles Mingus
American jazz double bassist, pianist, composer and bandleader Charles Mingus died aged 56. His compositions retained the hot and soulful feel of hard bop, drawing heavily from black gospel music and blues. His final project was 'Mingus' a collaboration with Joni Mitchell.

1980 - David Bowie
David Bowie appeared on Saturday Night Live Live from New York City performing 'The Man Who Sold the World', 'TVC 15' and 'Boys Keep Swinging' with a specially prepared backing group, including Blondie's Jimmy Destri (keyboards) and Klaus Nomi and Joey Arias (backing vocals).

1989 - Morrissey
Winners in music weekly Melody Makers Readers Poll results, The Mission won best band, best live act, best single and best album. Morrissey won best male singer, Julianne Regan from All About Eve best female singer, worst LP went to Bros with 'Push' and best new band was won by House Of Love.

1991 - Iron Maiden
Iron Maiden went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter.' The second single from their album No Prayer for the Dying, became the lowest selling No.1 since 1960, with just over 42,000 copies sold in its first week. The song was originally recorded and released by Bruce Dickinson for the soundtrack to A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child, but Iron Maiden bassist Steve Harris liked it so Iron Maiden re-recorded it.

1998 - Sonny Bono
American singer, producer, and politician Sonny Bono was killed in a skiing accident at a resort near Lake Tahoe, aged 62. Bono who was one half on Sonny and Cher scored the 1965 UK & US No.1 single 'I Got You Babe' and had become a US Congressman. The United States Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998, which extended the term of copyright by 20 years, was named in honor of Bono when it was passed by Congress nine months after his death.

1998 - Ken Forssi
Ken Forssi bassist with Love died of brain cancer aged 55. In 1965 he met Arthur Lee, who then had a band called Grass Roots and was greatly impressed. Lee hired Forssi as bassist, and soon officially formed Love. Love scored the 1966 US No.33 single '7 And 7 Is', 1968 UK No.24 album Forever Changes.

2001 - Kirsty MacColl
Kirsty MacColl was laid to rest at a private funeral ceremony, ahead of a public memorial to pay tribute to her life. The singer songwriter was killed in a boating accident on 18th Dec 2000.

2003 - Billie Joe Armstrong
Green Day's lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong was arrested on suspicion of drink driving after being stopped in California speeding in a black BMW convertible. He failed a breath test and was taken to Berkeley county jail and was later released on $1,053 (£657) bail.

2004 - Ray Davies
Kinks singer Ray Davies was shot in the leg while on holiday in New Orleans. The 59-year-old singer-songwriter was shot when running after two men who stole his girlfriend's purse at gunpoint. Davies was admitted to the Medical Centre of Louisiana but his injuries were not considered serious. New Orleans police said one person had been arrested, and police were still searching for the second.

2010 - Willie Mitchell
American trumpeter, bandleader and producer Willie Mitchell died from a cardiac arrest age 81. He was best known for his Hi Records label of the 1970s, which released albums by a large stable of popular Memphis soul artists, including Mitchell himself, Al Green, O. V. Wright, Syl Johnson and Ann Peebles

2015 - Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift was at No.1 on the US album chart with her fifth studio album 1989 which was the best selling album of 2014 in the US market with over 5.5 million copies sold.

2016 - Donald **ahem**en
Donald **ahem**en, lead singer and founder of Steely Dan, was arrested by New York police and charged with assaulting his wife at their home. **ahem**en, was accused of pushing Libby Titus into a marble window frame, knocking her to the ground, at their Manhattan apartment.

2019 - Eric Haydock
British musician Eric Haydock died age 75. He is best known as the original bass guitarist of The Hollies from December 1962 until July 1966. He was one of the first British musicians to play a Fender Bass VI, a six-string bass.

End of post 1 of 2.
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1923 - Sam Phillips
Sam Phillips, founder of Sun Records, the first label of Elvis Presley's recordings. Recorded Carl Perkins, Ike Turner, B.B. King, Jerry Lee Lewis. Phillips died on 30th July 2003.

1934 - Phil Ramone
US music producer and pioneer of digital recording, Phil Ramone, Ramone. He was regarded as one of the most successful producers in history, winning 14 Grammy awards and working with stars such as Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Elton John and Paul McCartney. He produced the first major commercial release on CD, Billy Joel's 1982 album 52nd Street. Ramone died on 30 March 2013 aged 79.

1940 - Athol Guy
Athol Guy, singer, from Australian folk-influenced pop quartet The Seekers who scored the 1965 UK No.1 single 'I'll Never Find Another You'. They were the first Australian group to achieve major chart and sales success in the UK and the US.

1941 - Grady Thomas
Grady Thomas, a former member of the bands Parliament and Funkadelic. Thomas started out in the late 1950s as one of The Parliaments, a doo wop barbershop quintet led by George Clinton.

1949 - George Brown
George Brown, singer, Kool & The Gang, (1981 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Celebration', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 hits).

1950 - Chris Stein
Chris Stein co-founder and guitarist of the new wave band Blondie. They scored five UK No.1 singles including the 1979 UK & US No.1 single 'Heart Of Glass' and the 1978 world-wide No.1 album Parallel Lines. Stein is also an accomplished photographer.

1957 - Maartin Allcock
Maartin Allcock, English multi-instrumentalist musician and record producer who was a member of British folk rock band Fairport Convention and then Jethro Tull. Allcock died 16 September 2018 aged 61.

1960 - Phil Thornalley
Phil Thornalley, songwriter, vocals, guitar, from British band Johnny Hates Jazz who had the 1987 UK No.5 single and international success with 'Shattered Dreams'. Thornalley was also a member of The Cure. He was also the co-writer of Natalie Imbruglia 1997 word-wide hit 'Torn'.

1963 - Grant Young
Grant Young, drummer with American alternative rock band Soul Asylum, who had the 1993 US No.5 and UK No.7 single 'Runaway Train' from their album Grave Dancers Union.

1966 - Kate Schellenbach
Kate Schellenbach, singer, Luscious Jackson, (1997 UK No.25 single 'Naked Eye').

1969 - Brian Warner
Brian Warner, (Marilyn Manson), with American rock band Marilyn Manson who had the 1998 US No.1 album, Mechanical Animals. His stage name was formed from juxtaposing the names of two 1960s American cultural icons, Marilyn Monroe and convicted multiple murder Charles Manson.

1970 - Troy Van Leeuwen
Troy Van Leeuwen, American guitarist, Queens of the Stone Age and A Perfect Circle, (their debut album 'Mer De Noms' became the highest ever debut for a rock band, with 188,000 copies sold in its first week). Also has a side project, Sweethead.

1970 - Jeffrey Jey
Jeffrey Jey, singer, Italian group Eiffel 65, (1999 UK No.1 single 'Blue (Da Ba Dee'). The single was also No.1 in Norway, Austria, Finland, Germany and Denmark.

1976 - Matthew Walter Wachter
Matthew Walter Wachter, bassist Angels & Airwaves, 30 Seconds to Mars who had the 2018 album America peak at No.2 on the US chart and No.4 in the UK.

MOHLovesAlaska

On This Day In History Of Music for this first Wednesday of the year.

Post 1 of 2:

1956 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley performed in the gym at Randolph High School, Mississippi; this was the last time he ever appeared in a small auditorium.

1958 - Flying V
Gibson guitars launched it' 'Flying V' electric guitar. Guitarists who played a Flying V include, Albert Collins, Jimi Hendrix, Marc Bolan and Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top.

1962 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley had his third UK No.1 album with 'Blue Hawaii'; it spent a total of 18 weeks at the top of the charts.

1964 - Marty Wilde
The first night of a 14 date UK tour 'Group Scene 1964', featuring The Rolling Stones, The Ronettes, Marty Wilde, The Swinging Blue Jeans and Dave Berry and The Cruisers, played at the Granada Theatre, Harrow on The Hill, Middlesex.

1967 - The Who
The Who played their first gig of this year when they appeared at Morecambe, Central Pier in England. The band played over 200 gigs in this year, including their first ever US tour.

1968 - The Beatles
The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour started an eight week run at No.1 on the US album chart, the group's 11th US chart topper.

1973 - Carly Simon
Carly Simon's 'You're So Vain', (with Mick Jagger on backing vocals), started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart. In 2015, after keeping quiet for more than 40 years, Carly Simon admitted that 'You're So Vain' was about Warren Beatty, but only one verse of it. Simon said the other verses were about two other men.

1975 - Led Zeppelin
The mayor of Boston cancelled a Led Zeppelin concert after over 2,000 fans rioted trying to buy tickets. The fans caused an estimated $50,000 to $75,000 damage at Boston Garden. The gig during the bands North American tour was rescheduled for Feb 4th.

1975 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd started sessions start at Abbey Road Studios London for their next album Wish You Were Here. Their ninth studio album was released on 12 September 1975 and features 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' a tribute to Syd Barrett whose mental breakdown had forced him to leave the group seven years earlier.

1977 - Sex Pistols
EMI Records dropped The Sex Pistols giving the band £40,000 ($68,000) to release them from their contract.

1979 - Village People
The Village People scored their only UK No.1 single with 'Y.M.C.A.' At its peak the single was selling over 150,000 copies a day. In the gay culture from which the group sprang, the song was understood as celebrating the YMCA's reputation as a popular cruising and hookup spot.

1980 - Georgeanna Tillman
Georgeanna Tillman singer with Motown girl group The Marvelettes died from lupus and sickle cell anemia aged 35. The Marvelettes scored the 1961 US No.1 single 'Please Mr Postman'. In 1963 Tillman was diagnosed with lupus, she also had been diagnosed with sickle cell anemia during childhood.

1987 - Eric Clapton
Eric Clapton started what became an annual event by playing six shows at the Royal Albert Hall, London.

1990 - Phil Collins
Phil Collins started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with '...But Seriously', his fourth solo studio album. The album was a huge commercial success worldwide, reaching No. 1 in the UK and the US for 15 and 4 non-consecutive weeks, respectively. It was the best selling album of 1990 in the UK, the lead single 'Another Day in Paradise' won a Grammy Award for Record of the Year.

1993 - David Bowie
It was reported that David Bowie had lost over £2.5 million ($4.25 million) in unpaid royalties to an Italian Mafia-linked bootleg fraud.

1997 - George Harrison
Two bronze busts worth £50,000 were stolen from a garden at George Harrison's estate in Henley-on- Thames, Oxford shire. Thieves had climbed a 10- foot-wall and cut the figures of two monks from their stone plinths.

2001 - David Gilmour
Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour won the right to his dot com name. Dave took legal action in his battle to reclaim davidgilmour.com from Andrew Herman who had registered the URL and was selling Pink Floyd merchandise through the site.

2005 - Usher
US CD sales rose for the first time in four years. The CD format accounted for 98% of the 666 million albums sold, according to research company Nielsen SoundScan. A total of 140 million digital tracks were legally downloaded during 2004, equivalent to 14 million albums. R&B star Usher was the biggest-selling artist with his album 'Confessions' selling eight million copies. Other top sellers of the year were Norah Jones, Eminem and country stars Kenny Chesney and Gretchen Wilson. The UK recorded a record year for album sales in 2004, with 237 million sold The Scissor Sisters proved the most popular album of the year, followed by Keane and Maroon 5.

2006 - Elvis Presley
A collection of Elvis Presley memorabilia bought by a council worker who embezzled nearly £600,000 was set to be sold to compensate the local authority. Julie Wall, 46, from Rippon Drive in Sleaford, was jailed for three years for the offence last October. The collection - which included rare recordings and foreign pressings of Elvis songs, was to be auctioned off by a High Court receiver to provide compensation.

2006 - Lou Rawls
American soul, jazz, singer Lou Rawls died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. The 72-year-old, Grammy-winning artist had been battling lung cancer. Rawls who released more than 60 albums, sold more than 40 million records, had the 1976 US No.2 and UK No.10 single 'You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine'.

2006 - Alex St. Claire
Guitarist, trumpeter and drummer Alex St. Claire died. Member of The Omens, The Solid Senders and an original member of Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band and Frank Zappa.

2006 - Ms. Dynamite
Ms. Dynamite was charged with assaulting a police officer and disorderly conduct. The singer allegedly punched a female officer in the face, bruising her nose, while in custody. She had been arrested after allegedly kicking the door to the Paragon Lounge night-club in London and was said to have been abusive towards officers who questioned her.

2007 - Pete Kleinow
US country-rock steel guitar player 'Sneaky' Pete Kleinow, died aged 72. He was one of the original members of the Flying Burrito Brothers with the Byrds' Chris Hillman and Gram Parsons. Also worked with John Lennon and Joni Mitchell.

2017 - FM Radio
Norway announced that it would become the first country in the world to gradually stop using the FM radio network. The move, which aimed to ditch the analogue platform in favor of a digital one called Digital Audio Broadcasting, would bring a clearer sound to the nation's five million people.

2020 - Martin Griffin
Martin Griffin former drummer of Hawkwind and spin-off project Hawk lords, died following a short illness age 69. Between 1978 and 1982 Griffin drummed on albums such as Sonic Attack, Church of Hawkwind and Choose your Masques. During the seventies he ran Roche recording studios in Cornwall, recording many upcoming artists including Elvis Costello, ABC and Secret Affair.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1924 - Earl Scruggs
Earl Scruggs the American musician noted for perfecting and popularizing a 3-finger banjo-picking style (now called Scruggs style). Worked with Bill Monroe in the Blue Grass Boys. Scruggs scored the hit as Flatt and Scruggs with 'The Ballad of Jed Clampett' for the TV show The Beverly Hillbillies in 1962. Scruggs died from natural causes on March 28, 2012, in a Nashville hospital.

1929 - Wilbert Harrison
Wilbert Harrison, singer, 1959 US No.1 single 'Kansas City.' Wrote 'Let's Work Together' a hit for Canned Heat and Bryan Ferry. Died on October 26, 1994.

1935 - Nino Tempo
Nino Tempo, US singer, songwriter, Nino Tempo and April Stevens had the 1963 US No.1 'Deep Purple', a No.17 hit in the UK.

1937 - Doris Troy
American singer Doris Troy. She was a session singer with Dionne Warwick, sang on Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon and released an album on The Beatles Apple label. She had a 1964 UK No.37 single with 'Whatcha Gonna Do About It' and the 1963 US No. 10 hit 'Just One Look'. She sang back-up for many acts including The Rolling Stones, (‘You Can't Always Get What You Want’), Carly Simon's ('You're So Vain') and George Harrison, (‘My Sweet Lord’). Troy died on 16 February 2004.

1940 - Laudir de Oliveira
Brazilian musician and producer Laudir de Oliveira mostly renowned for his time as percussionist with the band Chicago. De Oliveira died of a heart attack on 17 September 2017 at the age of 77 while performing onstage in his native Rio de Janeiro.

1944 - Van McCoy
Van McCoy, singer and producer, who had a 1975 US No.1 and UK No.3 single with 'The Hustle'. He also produced Gladys Knight and Aretha Franklin. McCoy died on July 6th 1979 aged 38.

1946 - Syd Barrett
Syd Barrett guitarist, singer, songwriter with Pink Floyd. Barrett, who was a co-founding member, left Floyd in 1968. He released 2 solo albums before going into self-imposed seclusion for more than 30 years, enjoying life as an artist and a keen gardener. Pink Floyd wrote many tributes to him after he left, the best-known being Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Barrett died, aged 60, on 7th July 2006 from complications arising from diabetes.

1947 - Sandy Denny
Sandy Denny, UK folk singer and member of Fairport Convention. She died on April 21st 1978 after falling down the stairs at a friend's house. She sang on the Fairport Convention 1969 UK No.21 single 'Si Tu Dois Partir' and also worked as a solo artist. She is featured on the Led Zeppelin track 'Battle Of Evermore' on the bands fourth album.

1951 - Kim Wilson
American blues singer and harmonica player Kim Wilson best known as the lead vocalist and frontman for the Fabulous Thunderbirds on two hit songs of the 1980s, 'Tuff Enuff' and 'Wrap It Up.' Wilson has also released a string of solo albums.

1953 - Malcolm Young
Malcolm Young, guitarist with Australian rock band, AC/DC who had the 1980 UK hit single 'Whole Lotta Rosie'. Their 1980 UK No.1 & US No.14 album Back In Black has sold over 49 million copies. Young died on 18 November 2017 age 64.

1959 - Kathy Sledge
Kathy Sledge, singer, Sister Sledge, (1979 US No.2 single 'We Are Family', 1985 UK No.1 'Frankie').

1960 - Muzz Skillings
Muzz Skillings, bass, Living Colour, (1991 UK No.12 single 'Love Rears Its Ugly Head').

1964 - Mark O'Toole
Mark O'Toole, bassist with Frankie Goes To Hollywood, the British band who formed in Liverpool and had the 1984 UK No.1 & US No.10 single 'Relax'. The single eventually sold 2 million copies in the UK alone, making it the seventh best-selling single in the UK Singles Chart's history. Their debut album, Welcome to the Pleasuredome, reached No.1 in the UK in 1984 with advanced sales of over one million.

1985 - Ben Haenow
Ben Haenow, British singer. He won the eleventh series of The X Factor in 2014. His debut single, a cover of OneRepublic's 'Something I Need', debuted at No.1 on the UK Singles Chart, becoming the 2014 Christmas No.1.

1986 - Alex Turner
Alex Turner, guitar, vocals, with English rock band Arctic Monkeys who had the 2005, UK No.1 single ‘I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor’, and the 2006 UK No.1 album Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not. The band has won six Brit Awards – winning both Best British Group and Best British Album three times, and have been nominated for three Grammy Awards. Turner has also recorded with his side-project The Last Shadow Puppets.

End of post 2 of 2. 

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this first Thursday of the New Year.

Post 1 of 2:

1955 - Bill Haley
'Rock Around the Clock' by Bill Haley and his Comets, entered the UK chart for the first time. The original full title of the song was 'We're Gonna Rock Around the Clock Tonight!' and is often cited as the biggest-selling vinyl rock and roll single of all time with sales over 25m.

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles recorded a seven-song appearance for the BBC Radio program Saturday Club. They played ‘All My Loving’, ‘Money’, ‘The Hippy Hippy Shake’, ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘Johnny B. Goode’, and ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’. The show was broadcast on February 15, while the Beatles were in the US.

1964 - Cyril Davies
English blues musician Cyril Davies died of leukemia aged 32. Davies was a driving force in the early Sixties blues movement forming Blues Incorporated with Alexis Korner. Davies and Korner opened a London Rhythm and Blues club "England's Firstest and Bestest Skiffle Club", later known as the "London Blues and Barrelhouse Club". Popular with other musicians, the club hosted gigs by blues musicians such as Muddy Waters, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee and Memphis Slim.

1970 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin kicked off an 8-date UK tour at Birmingham Town Hall. The set list included: I Can't Quit You Baby, Dazed And Confused, Heartbreaker, Since I've Been Loving You, Thank You, Moby **ahem**, How Many More Times, Whole Lotta Love and Communication Breakdown.

1971 - Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath released 'Paranoid' their second studio album in the US. The album features the band's best-known signature songs, including the title track, 'Iron Man' and 'War Pigs'. The album was originally titled War Pigs, but allegedly the record company changed it to Paranoid, fearing backlash from supporters of the ongoing Vietnam War.

1972 - David Bowie
David Bowie released 'Changes' as a single in the UK. The track peaked at No.49 on the UK chart and later at No.41 on the US chart. This was the last song Bowie performed live on stage before his retirement from live performances at the end of 2006 when he joined Alicia Keys at the Black Ball fundraiser at New York's Hammersmith Ballroom.

1974 - Aerosmith
Aerosmith played at the Michigan Theatre in Detroit, the first date on their 56 date North American Get Your Wings Tour.

1980 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd released 'Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)' in the US. The single peaked at No.1 on both the US and UK charts, giving Pink Floyd their first and only No.1 hit single. The single went to No.1 in many other countries, including Australia, Germany and Italy.

1980 - Hugh Cornwell
Hugh Cornwall of The Stranglers was found guilty of possession of heroin, cocaine and cannabis. He was fined £300 ($510) and sentenced to three months in Penton Ville prison.

1981 - The Police
The Police played the first night of a North American tour at The University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada during their Zenyatta Mondatta World Tour.

1994 - Oasis
Oasis started recording their debut album Definitely Maybe at Monnow Valley Studio in South Wales. When released in August 1994, it became the fastest selling debut album of all time in the UK, (being surpassed in 2006 by Arctic Monkeys debut album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not). The album went on to sell over 12 million copies worldwide.

1998 - Owen Bradley
American record producer Owen Bradley died aged 82. Along with Chet Atkins and Bob Ferguson, he was one of the chief architects of the 1950s and 1960s Nashville sound in country music and rockabilly. Bradley produced artists such as Patsy Cline, Brenda Lee, Loretta Lynn, Lenny Dee, and Conway Twitty.

2001 - James Carr
American rhythm and blues and soul singer James Carr died aged 58. After being turned down by Stax, he made his first recordings for Goldwax Records in 1964. He released several singles for the label before achieving his first success in 1966, when ‘You've Got My Mind Messed Up’ reached No.7 on the Billboard R&B chart.

2003 - The Beatles
The Beatles Book Monthly closed down after 40 years. Author Sean O'Mahony who set up the magazine in 1963 said there was nothing more to say as the number of things the former Beatles were doing gets less and less as the years go on.

2004 - John Guerin
Drummer John Guerin died of pneumonia aged 64. Worked with Joni Mitchell, Frank Zappa, Linda Ronstadt, Gram Parsons, Todd Rundgren. He also played on the original title tune for the television series Hawaii Five-O.

2006 - Pink
Pink married her motocross racer boyfriend Carey Hart on a beach in Costa Rica. More than 100 people attended the singer's big day, including Lisa-Marie Presley. Pink proposed to him during one of his races in Mammoth Lakes, California, by holding up a sign that read "Will you marry me?" Hart pulled out of the race to say yes.

2010 - Michael Jackson
According to Nielsen SoundScan's final 2009 figures, Michael Jackson was the best selling artist of the year, moving 8,286,000 units. Forty years after their break-up, The Beatles were still the best selling group, thanks to their remastered catalog which sold 3,282,000 copies. Digital downloads however, were a different story. Lady Gaga was the queen of the downloads, selling 15,297,000 digital tracks. The Black Eyed Peas, Michael Jackson and Taylor Swift all finished in the vicinity of 12 million digital units.

2016 - Troy Shondell
American singer Troy Shondell died from complications of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease aged 76. He became a transatlantic one-hit wonder, with his 1961 'This Time', which topped the charts in both US and the UK, selling over one million records. He also recorded under the name of Gary Shelton.

2020 - Neil Peart
Neil Peart, drummer and lyricist for Canadian rock band Rush, died from brain cancer aged 67. Placed at No.4 in Rolling Stone's list of all-time greatest drummers, Peart was well-known for his technical proficiency and animated live performances.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2.

1937 - Paul Revere
Paul Revere, keyboards, Paul Revere and the Raiders, (1971 US No.1 single 'Indian Reservation', plus 14 other US Top 30 hit singles. He died on 4th Oct 2014.

1942 - Danny Williams
Danny Williams, singer, (1961 UK No. 1 'Moon River', the Oscar-winning song was from the film Breakfast At Tiffany's).

1944 - Mike McGear
Mike McGear, singer, brother of Paul McCartney, The Scaffold, (1968 Christmas UK No.1 single 'Lily The Pink').

1945 - Dave Cousins
Dave Cousins, singer songwriter with English folk rock group The Strawbs who scored the 1973 UK No.2 single with 'Part Of The Union'.

1946 - Andy Brown
Andy Brown, drummer from English harmony beat group The Fortunes, who had the 1965 UK No.2 & US No.7 single 'You've Got Your Troubles' and the hits 'Here It Comes Again and 'Storm in a Teacup'.

1948 - Kenny Loggins
Kenny Loggins, singer, songwriter, (one half of Loggins & Messina 1971-76), 1984 US No.1 & UK No. 6 single 'Footlose' from the film of the same name.

1959 - Kathy Valentine
Kathy Valentine, bass, The Go- Go's, (1982 US No.2 single 'We Got The Beat', 1982 UK No.47 single 'Our Lips Our Sealed').

1965 - John Ondrasik
John Ondrasik, known by his stage name Five for Fighting, American singer, songwriter and record producer. He is best known for his piano-based rock, such as the top 40 hits, 'Superman (It's Not Easy)' (2001), '100 Years' (2003) and 'The Riddle' (2006).

1972 - Taja Sevelle
Taja Sevelle, (real name Nancy Richardson), US singer, she started recording at age 15 in 1987. (1988 UK No.7 single 'Love Is Contagious').

1974 - John Rich
John Rich, bass, vocals, with American country group Lonestar who had the 2000 US No.1 & UK No.21 single 'Amazed'. Lonestar has charted more than 20 singles on the Hot Country Songs chart, including 9 that reached No.1.

1986 - Jinxx
Jeremy Miles Ferguson, American musician, better known by the stage name Jinxx, with American rock band Black Veil Brides.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Friday.

Post 1 of 2:

1957 - Bill Haley
Bill Haley & His Comets started the first ever 'rock & roll tour' of Australia, playing two sold out nights in Sydney.

1958 - The Everly Brothers
The Everly Brothers kicked off a 17 date North American tour at the Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina. Also on the bill, Buddy Holly, The Rays, Royal Teens, Shepherd Sisters, Paul Anka, Margie Rayburn and
Danny & The Juniors.

1966 - The Beatles
The Beatles started a six week run at No.1 on the US album chart with Rubber Soul the group's seventh US chart topper, which went on to spend 56 weeks on the chart. The group also started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'We Can Work It Out' the group's 11th US No.1 single.

1969 - The Rolling Stones
Mike Jagger and Keith Richards were both barred from an exclusive hotel for wearing "op art" pants and nothing else. They were both asked to leave the Hotel Crillen in Lima, Peru after refusing to change clothes.

1972 - New Seekers
The New Seekers were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing, (in Perfect Harmony'). The song started as a Coca Cola TV ad. It originally included the line, 'I'd like to buy the world a Coke.'

1979 - Rush
Canadian rock band Rush were named the country's official Ambassadors Of Music by the Canadian government.

1991 - Steve Clark
Steve Clark guitarist with Def Leppard, was found dead at his Chelsea flat by his girlfriend, after a night of heavy alcohol consumption combined with prescription drugs. The autopsy revealed he had died from an overdose of codeine and had Valium, morphine and a blood alcohol level of .30, three times the British legal driving limit. In 2007 Clark was ranked No.11 on Classic Rock Magazine's "100 Wildest Guitar Heroes".

1994 - Chaka Demus
Jamaican reggae/rap (ragga) duo Chaka Demus and Pliers were at No.1 in the UK with their version of 'Twist And Shout.' The song was originally recorded (and produced by Phil Spector) by the Top Notes in 1961 and then covered by The Isley Brothers. It was also covered by The Beatles on their first album Please Please Me.

1996 - Madonna
A Los Angeles court found Robert Hoskins guilty of five counts of stalking, assault and making terrorist threats to Madonna. Hoskins had twice scaled the walls of the singer's estate and had threatened to slash her throat from ear to ear.

2001 - Axl Rose
A woman who believed that Axl Rose communicated with her via telepathy was arrested for stalking the Guns N' Roses singer for a second time. Police detained Karen Jane McNeil after she was spotted loitering outside his house.

2004 - George Harrison
The estate of George Harrison started a $10 million (£5.8 million) legal action against Dr Gilbert Lederman of Staten Island University Hospital, claiming the doctor coerced Harrison to sign souvenirs. The main allegations of the legal action was that Dr Lederman got an extremely sick Harrison to sign his son's guitar and autographs for his two daughters.

2006 - The Strokes
The Strokes went to No.1 on the UK chart with 'First Impressions Of Earth' the bands third album and first No.1.

2010 - Led Zeppelin
Jimmy Page launched a new set of stamps in the UK which featured classic album covers from the last 40 years including Coldplay, Power, Corruption And Lies, New Order, David Bowie and Parklife by Blur.

2014 - Vinyl Sales
It was reported that vinyl record sales had increased 32% in 2013, while CD sales declined 14.5% in the last last year, vinyl sales grew 32% from 4.5 million units sold in 2012 to 6 million sold in 2013, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

2016 - Otis Clay
American R&B and soul singer Otis Clay died aged 73. Clay who started in gospel music scored R&B hits in the late 60s and 70s. He recorded the original version of 'The Only Way Is Up' in 1980 which later became a chart-topping single for Yazz and the Plastic Population.

2016 - David Bowie
David Bowie released his twenty-fifth and final studio album Blackstar, coinciding with his 69th birthday and two days before his death. It became his first and only album to reach No.1 on the Billboard 200 album chart in the US. At the 59th Annual Grammy Awards, the album won awards for Best Alternative Music Album; Best Engineered Album; Best Recording Package, and the title single won Best Rock Performance, and Best Rock Song. The album was also awarded the British Album of the Year award at the 2017 Brit Awards.

2017 - Peter Sarstedt
Northern Indian-born British singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Peter Sarstedt died at the age of 75. He was best known for the single 'Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)?' which topped the UK Singles Chart in 1969 (and 14 other countries), and won an Ivor Novello Award.

End of post 1 of 2.   
MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

Post 2 of 2:

1935 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Aaron Presley, the King of rock 'n' roll. He had his first No.1 in 1956 with the US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Heartbreak Hotel'. His first UK No.1 single was in 1957, with 'All Shook Up'. Presley went on to have over 100 US & UK Top 40 singles from 1956 - 2006. Presley is one of the most celebrated and influential musicians of the 20th century, with estimated record sales of around 600 million units worldwide. Elvis Presley died on August 16th 1977.

1937 - Shirley Bassey
Shirley Bassey, singer. First charted in the UK in 1957, 1970 UK No.4 single with cover of The Beatles George Harrison song 'Something' also James Bond theme 'Goldfinger' and 'Diamonds are Forever'.

1941 - Anthony Gourdine
Anthony Gourdine from Little Anthony and the Imperials who had the 1958 US No.4 single 'Tears On My Pillow', which was The Imperials' first million-seller. The song has been extensively covered, including a No.1 in the UK Singles Chart version by Kylie Minogue in January 1990.

1942 - John Petersen
John Petersen, drums, The Beau Brummels, (1965 US No.8 single, 'Just A Little').

1943 - Lee Jackson
Lee Jackson, bass, vocals, from English progressive rock band The Nice, who had the 1968 UK hit single an instrumental rearrangement of Leonard Bernstein's 'America'.

1943 - Marcus Hutson
Marcus Hutson, singer with American group The Whispers who had the 1980 UK No.2 & US No.19 single 'And The Beat Goes On'.

1945 - Terry Sylvester
Terry Sylvester, guitar, vocals, Swinging Blue Jeans, The Hollies, (joined in 1969). Had the 1972 US No.2 single 'Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress', 1988 UK No.1 single 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother', first released in 1969.

1946 - Robert Krieger
Robert Krieger, guitarist with The Doors, (1967 US No.1 & UK No.49 single with ‘Light My Fire’ and a 1971 US No.14 & UK No.22 single ‘Riders On The Storm’).

1947 - David Bowie
David Bowie English singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, painter and actor. His first UK Top 40 single was the 1969 'Space Oddity' which became a UK No.1 in 1975, plus over 50 other UK Top 40 hits including five No.1's. Bowie has also scored two US No.1 singles, the 1975 'Fame' and 1983 'Let's Dance'. His music and stagecraft significantly influencing popular music and during his lifetime, his record sales, estimated at 140 million worldwide, made him one of the world's best-selling music artists. Bowie died from liver cancer at his New York home on 10 January 2016.

1948 - Paul King
Paul King, Mungo Jerry, who had the 1970 UK No.1 & US No.3 single 'In The Summertime' as well as the hits 'Baby Jump' and 'Lady Rose'.

1958 - Steve Garvey
Steve Garvey bass guitarist of the English punk band Buzzcocks who had the 1978 UK No.12 single 'Ever Fallen In Love, With Someone You Shouldn't've'.

1959 - Paul Hester
Paul Hester, drums, Crowded House, (1992 UK No.7 single 'Weather With You'). Hester died on 26th March 2005 aged 46, after he "attempted suicide" and died from strangulation after being found hanged in a park in Melbourne, Australia.

1966 - Andrew Patrick Wood
Andrew Patrick Wood, American musician best known as the lead singer for grunge bands Malfunkshun and Mother Love Bone, cited as "founding fathers" of the Seattle's grunge movement. Wood died on March 19th 1990.

1969 - Jeff Abercrombie
Jeff Abercrombie, bassist with American band Fuel.

1969 - R Kelly
R. Kelly, American singer, writer, producer, (1994 US No.1 single 'Bump N' Grind', 1997 UK No.1 single 'I Believe I Can Fly'). On July 11, 2019, Kelly was arrested on federal charges alleging sex crimes, human trafficking, child pornography, racketeering, and obstruction of justice.

1971 - Karen Poole
Karen Poole, singer, songwriter with Alisha's Attic who had the 1996 UK No.14 'I Am I Feel'. She is the daughter of 60s musician Brian Poole.

1973 - Sean Paul
Jamaican dancehall recording artist and producer Sean Paul, (2003 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Get Busy'). Paul has also been featured in many other singles including chart-toppers 'Baby Boy' by Beyoncé, 'What About Us' by The Saturdays, 'Rockabye' by Clean Bandit and 'Cheap Thrills' by Sia.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Tuesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1956 - Buddy Holly
Buddy Holly recorded what would become his first release, 'Love Me' and 'Blue Days, Black Nights'. Both tracks were later featured on That'll Be The Day the third album from Holly, after Decca, Holly’s first major record label packaged these 1956 tunes after he had some success with recordings from the Brunswick and Coral labels.

1961 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Are You Lonesome Tonight'. The singers sixth UK No.1. The song which was written by Roy Turk and Lou Handman in 1926 first became a hit in 1950 when the Blue Barron Orchestra version reached the top twenty on Billboard's Pop chart. Elvis recorded the song at the suggestion of his manager Colonel Tom Parker as it was Parker's wife, Marie Mott's, favorite song.

1963 - The Beatles
The Beatles played two gigs, the first was at the El Rio Club/Dance Hall in Macclesfield, Cheshire, supported by Wayne Fontana and the Jets. Then The Beatles drove 20 miles to their next gig at King's Hall, Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire.

1965 - Keith Richards
During a Rolling Stones tour of Australia and New Zealand, guitarist Keith Richards had his shirt torn off after 50 fans invaded the stage during the gig at The Town Hall in Brisbane.

1965 - Petula Clark
'Downtown' by Petula Clark was at No. 1 on the US singles chart. A young Jimmy Page had played as a session guitarist on the track, giving him his first US No.1 hit, (and a No. 2 hit in the UK).

1968 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd played their first gig without Syd Barrett at Southampton University. They were supported by Tyrannosaurus Rex, (later to be renamed T Rex) featuring Marc Bolan and percussionist Steve Peregrine Took.

1973 - Sweet
Sweet were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Blockbuster'. The glam rockers only UK No.1 of 15 Top 40 hits.

1974 - Ringo Starr
Ringo Starr went to No.1 on the US singles chart with his version of the Johnny Burnette 1960 hit 'Your Sixteen', a No.3 hit in the UK.

1975 - David Bowie
The BBC 'Omnibus' documentary 'Cracked Actor' a film about David Bowie was shown on UK TV. Filmed in 1974 when Bowie was was a cocaine addict, the documentary has become notorious for showing Bowie's fragile mental state during this period.

1977 - Peter Green
Former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Peter Green was committed to a mental hospital following an incident when he threatened his accountant Clifford Adams with an air rifle when he was trying to deliver a £30,000 ($51,000) royalty cheque to him.

1980 - Prince
Prince made his TV debut on the US show American Bandstand. When interviewed after his performance the singer froze and struggled to reply to the questions he was being asked.

1986 - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Allen Collins, guitarist from Lynyrd Skynyrd crashed his car, paralyzing him from the waist down and killing his girlfriend Debra Jean Watts. Collins had survived a plane crash in 1977 that killed two other band members.

1989 - Donnie Elbert
American soul singer Donnie Elbert died of a stroke aged 52. In 1955 he formed a doo-wop group, the Vibraharpist making his recording debut on their single ‘Walk Beside Me’ but it wasn’t until the Seventies when he had major success with the solo hit 1972 US No. 22 & UK No.11 single 'I Can't Help Myself', Sugar Pie Honey Bunch', as well as the hits 'Where Did Our Love Go?' and 'A Little Piece of Leather'.

1991 - Queen
Queen had their second UK No.1 with 'Innuendo'. At 6 minutes 30 seconds, it exceeded their epic 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by 35 seconds and became the third longest UK No.1 song of all time, behind The Beatles ‘Hey Jude’ and Simple Minds 'Belfast Child' (subsequently the 9 minutes 38 seconds 'All Around The World' by Oasis took over the top slot and demoted Innuendo to fourth place). For 'Innuendo's' flamenco guitar solo, Brian May was joined by Yes guitarist Steve Howe.

2003 - Billy Joel
Billy Joel was airlifted to hospital after his car smashed into a tree. The singer lost control of his Mercedes S500 and skidded for 100 yards before crashing. The accident happened in The Hamptons, New York.

2004 - John Lydon
John Lydon was one of ten contestants to take part in the latest I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here UK TV show set in the Australian outback. The former Sex Pistols singer was seen by 11 million viewers on the first night covered in bird seed being pecked by giant ostriches. Lydon who was paid £25,000 ($42,500) to appear in the show, but walked off the jungle set after four days.

2007 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones topped the US music rich list for the second year running after making $150.6m (£76.2m) in 2006. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill were second in the poll with a combined fortune of $132m (£67.2m) and American country band Rascal Flatts appeared third, having earnt $110.5m (£56.2m) in the past year.

2008 - Alicia Keys
Alicia Keys was at No.1 on the US album chart with her third album 'As I Am'. The album sold over 742,000 copies in its first week the largest ever first week sales for any female R&B artist.

2011 - Gladys Horton
American singer Gladys Horton died aged 66. She was the founder and lead singer of the Motown all-female vocal group The Marvelettes who had the hits 'Please Mr. Postman', (when Horton was reportedly just fifteen years old). Horton would later sing lead on Marvelettes' classics such as 'Playboy', 'Beechwood 4-5789' and 'Too Many Fish in the Sea'.

2016 - Colin Vearncombe
English singer-songwriter Colin Vearncombe, who with Black had the 1987 UK No.8 single 'Wonderful Life', died at the age of 53. Vearncombe was involved in a road traffic accident, on Jan 10th 2016 near Cork Airport in Ireland, and placed in a medically-induced coma after sustaining serious head injuries. He died from his injuries at the intensive care unit of Cork University Hospital at the age of 53. Black sold over two million records worldwide with Comedy (1988) and Black (1991).

2020 - Billie Eilish
Billie Eilish swept the board at the 2020 Grammys, winning five awards, including best new artist and song of the year becoming the first person to achieve the feat since Christopher Cross in 1981. The 18-year-old also won album of the year for her debut, When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go. She replaced Taylor Swift as the youngest person ever to win the award. Her elder brother, Finneas O'Connell, also picked up producer of the year for his work on Eilish's album.

2020 - Bob Shane
American singer and guitarist Bob Shane died age 85. He was a founding member of The Kingston Trio a folk and pop music group that helped launch the folk revival of the late 1950s.

End of post 1 of 2. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1934 - Huey Smith
Huey 'Piano' Smith, US R&B pianist who had the 1958 US No.9 single 'Don't You Just Know It'. Smith also played played on Frankie Ford's hit 'Sea Cruise'.

1945 - Ashley Hutchings
Ashley Hutchings, bassist with UK folk group Fairport Convention who had the 1969 UK No.21 single 'Si Tu Dois Partir'.

1948 - Corky Laing
Corky Laing, drummer with heavy rock group Mountain who had the 1971 album 'Nantucket Sleighride'. Also worked with Jack Bruce.

1949 - Derek Holt
Derek Holt, from British blues rock group Climax Blues Band, who had the 1977 US No.3 & 1976 UK No.10 single 'Couldn't Get It Right'.

1951 - David Briggs
David Briggs, from Australian group, Little River Band who scored the 1978 US No.3 single 'Reminiscing' plus 12 other US Top 40 singles selling more than 30 million records.

1953 - Lucinda Williams
Lucinda Williams, rock, folk, blues and country music singer and songwriter who wrote 'Passionate Kisses' the Grammy winning song made famous by the 1993 single version by Mary Chapin Carpenter.

1955 - Eddie Van Halen
Eddie Van Halen, Dutch guitarist with Van Halen who had the 1984 US No.1 & UK No. 7 single 'Jump'. His guitar solo in the track 'Eruption' was voted No.2 on Guitar World magazine's readers poll of the 100 Greatest Guitar Solos. Halen also played the guitar solo on Michael Jackson's 'Beat It'. Van Halen died on 6 October 2020 at the age of 65, the Dutch-American musician had been receiving treatment for throat cancer. Van Halen have sold more than 80 million worldwide, making them one of the best-selling groups of all time.

1957 - Norman Hassan
Norman Hassan, percussion with UB40 who had the 1983 UK No.1 & 1988 US No.1 single 'Red Red Wine' and over 30 other Top 40 hit singles.

1958 - Anita Baker
Anita Baker, US soul singer who had the 1986 UK No.13 single 'Sweet Love' and the 1998 US No.1 album 'Giving You The Best That I Got'.

1963 - Andrew Ridgeley
Andrew Ridgeley, singer and one half of Wham! with George Michael, who had the 1984 UK & US No.1 single 'Wake Me Up Before You Go Go' plus 10 other UK Top 20 hit singles. Ridgeley became a prominent environmentalist in the cause of British surfing beaches and riverways, working with the UK charity, Surfers Against Sewage. He lives with his girlfriend Keren Woodward of the pop group Bananarama.

1963 - Jazzie B
Jazzie B, British DJ, music producer, and entrepreneur and founding member of British group Soul II Soul who had the 1989 UK No.1 single 'Back To Life'.

1964 - Susannah Melvoin
Susannah Melvoin, American vocalist, songwriter. Worked with Prince, Roger Waters, Eric Clapton and Mike Oldfield. As a songwriter, has co-written songs performed by Madonna, Eric Clapton and Prince.

MOHLovesAlaska

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome back, @MOHLovesAlaska😎

I've been missing these a lot - thanks for sharing! 

Your welcome @AdamPandora , and thank you for your support. You take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Wednesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1956 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley's single, 'Heartbreak Hotel' was released by RCA Records, who had just purchased Presley's contract from Sun Records for $35,000. The song sold 300,000 copies in its first week and would eventually sell over a million, becoming Elvis' first Gold record.

1962 - The Beatles
The Beatles appeared at Aintree Institute in Aintree, Liverpool. The group had played here many times before but this was their last performance at the venue. Brian Epstein became infuriated when the promoter paid The Beatles' fee (£15 pounds) with handfuls of loose change. Epstein took this as an insult to the group, and made sure that The Beatles never played for that promoter (Brian Kelly) again.

1970 - John Lennon
John Lennon wrote, recorded and mixed his new single 'Instant Karma!' all in one day. It ranks as one of the fastest-released songs in pop music history, recorded at London's Abbey Road Studios and arriving in stores only ten days later.

1971 - David Bowie
David Bowie arrived in the US for the first time; he couldn't play live because of work permit restrictions, but attracted publicity when he wore a dress at a promotion event.

1972 - Mahalia Jackson
American gospel singer Mahalia Jackson died in Chicago of heart failure and diabetes complications aged 60. Known as the "Queen of Gospel Music" she recorded over 30 albums and became one of the most influential gospel singers in the world and was heralded internationally as a singer and civil rights activist.

1973 - Stevie Wonder
'Superstition' the lead single from Stevie Wonder's Talking Book album became his second No.1 single in the US, 10 years after his first No.1 hit. Jeff Beck created the original drum beat while in the studio with Wonder. After writing the song, Wonder offered it to Beck to record, but at the insistence of Berry Gordy, Wonder himself recorded it first. Beck was instead offered 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers', which he recorded on his Blow by Blow album in 1975.

1973 - Sweet
British Glam Rock group Sweet appeared at the Grand Hall in Kilmarnock, Scotland and were driven offstage by a barrage of bottles. The incident inspired their song ‘The Ballroom Blitz’ which went on to reach number one in Canada, number two in the UK and the Australian Chart, and number five on the US Billboard Hot 100.

1977 - Clash
The Clash signed to CBS Records in the UK for £100,000.

1979 - Ian Dury
Ian Dury And The Blockheads were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick', their only UK chart topper.

1984 - Madonna
Madonna made her first appearance in the UK when she appeared on C4 TV music program The Tube performing 'Holiday'. The show was broadcast live from the Hacienda Club in Manchester.

1990 - Kylie Minogue
Kylie Minogue had her third UK No.1 single with 'Tears On My Pillow', the song was originally a US hit for Little Anthony and The Imperials in 1958.

1996 - Babylon Zoo
Babylon Zoo started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Spaceman', the fastest selling single by a debut artist in the UK, (420,000 copies in 6 days). The song was used for a Levi Jeans TV commercial. The single also went to Number 1 in twenty-three other countries.

1998 - James Brown
James Brown was charged with possession of marijuana and unlawful use of a firearm after police were called to his South Carolina home. Brown later clamed the drugs were used to help his 'eyesight.'

2004 - Faith Evans
R&B singer Faith Evans and her husband were charged with possession of cocaine and marijuana after being arrested in Atlanta, Georgia. Police pulled them over for a suspected license plate offence.

2006 - Gene McFadden
American singer, songwriter, and record producer Gene McFadden, best known as half of the Philly soul team McFadden & Whitehead, died of cancer at the age of 56. The duo who were discovered by Otis Redding, who acted as their manager had the 1979 hit 'Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now', which sold more than 8 million copies and was nominated for a Grammy Award.

2009 - Road Chef
Road Chef, the Watford Gap UK Motorway services operator, paid £1,000 at an auction for a collection of celebrity signatures, which were collected by former employee, Beatrice England. The book included signatures of Sir Paul McCartney, Sir Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, the Eagles and Dusty Springfield. The Blue Boar services as it was once known received so many famous guests in its 50-year history that Jimi Hendrix mistook it for a London nightclub as it was mentioned so often by his contemporaries.

2014 - Pete Seeger
American folk singer and activist Pete Seeger died at the age of 94. He had a string of hit records during the early 1950s as a member of the Weavers, most notably their recording of Lead Belly's 'Goodnight, Irene', which topped the charts for 13 weeks in 1950. Members of the Weavers were blacklisted during the McCarthy Era. In the 1960s, he re-emerged on the public scene as a prominent singer of protest music in support of international disarmament, civil rights, counterculture and environmental causes.

2015 - Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne
Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne were given a song writing credit on Sam Smith's hit 'Stay With Me', because of the similarities to his 1989 track 'I Won't Back Down'. 'Stay With Me' had been nominated for three Grammys, including song of the year - which honors the writers of the track. Petty's publisher had contacted Smiths publisher who made an out of court settlement.

End of post 1 of 2.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1918 - Elmore James
Elmore James, US blues guitarist, singer, known as the King of the Slide Guitar. James wrote 'Shake Your Money Maker', which was covered by Fleetwood Mac in 1968. Influenced Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King and Keith Richards. James died 24th May 1963.

1919 - David Seville
David Seville, The Chipmunks who had the 1958 US No.1 single 'The Chipmunk Song', and the 1959 UK No.11 single 'Ragtime Cowboy Joe'. Seville died on 16th January 1972.

1930 - Bobby Bland
Bobby Bland, R&B singer, who had the 1963 US R&B No.1 single 'That's The Way Love Is'. Bland was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame in 1981, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992, and received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1997. He died on 23rd June 2013 at his home in Memphis.

1944 - Kevin Coyne
Kevin Coyne, singer, songwriter, film-maker, and a writer of lyrics, stories and poems. In the mid-1970s, prior to the formation of The Police, Coyne's band included guitarist Andy Summers. Coyne died on 2nd December 2004.

1946 - Nedra Talley
Nedra Talley American singer with the all girl group The Ronettes who had five US chart toppers including 'Be My Baby', 'Baby, I Love You', '(The Best Part Of) Breakin' Up', and 'Walking in the Rain.'

1948 - Kim Gardner
Kim Gardner from English group Ashton Gardner & **ahem** who had the 1971 UK No.3 single 'The Resurrection Shuffle'. Gardner died on 24/10/01,

1951 - Brian Downey
Brian Downey, Irish drummer and founding member of Thin Lizzy, who had the 1973 UK No.6 single 'Whisky In The Jar' and hits with 'Jailbreak' and 'The Boys Are Back in Town'.

1951 - Seth Justman
Seth Justman, keyboards, vocals with American rock band The J Geils Band, who had the 1982 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Centerfold' which was taken from their US No.1 1981 album Freeze Frame.

1957 - Janick Robert Gers
Janick Robert Gers, English guitarist with English heavy metal band Iron Maiden, who had the 1982 UK No.1 album The Number Of The Beast, and the 1991 UK No.1 single 'Bring Your Daughter ...To The Slaughter'. Iron Maiden have sold over 100 million copies of their albums worldwide.

1961 - Gillian Gilbert
Gillian Gilbert, keyboards with The Inadequates, and New Order who had the 1983 UK No.9 single 'Blue Monday', Also a member of The Other Two who had the 1991 UK hit single 'Tasty Fish'.

1961 - Martin Deguille
Martin Deguille, singer with British group Sigue Sigue Sputnik who had the 1986 UK No.3 single 'Love Missile F1-11'.

1961 - Margo Timmins
Margo Timmins singer with Canadian alternative country/blues/folk rock band, Cowboy Junkies.

1964 - Migi Drummond
Migi Drummond from English pop group Curiosity Killed The Cat who had the 1989 UK No.14 single 'Name And Number' and the UK No.1 album Keep Your Distance.

1968 - Tricky
Adrian Thawes, (Tricky), musician and actor who had the 1996 UK No.10 single 'Milk'. His 1995 debut album Maxinquaye was nominated for the Mercury Prize and voted Album of the Year by NME Magazine.

1968 - Mike Patton
Mike Patton, singer and multi-instrumentalist with American rock band Faith No More, who had the 1993 UK No.3 and US No.4 single 'I'm Easy'. They had the best-selling albums The Real Thing (1989) and Angel Dust (1992).

1972 - Mark Owen
Mark Owen singer with Take That who had the 1995 UK No.1 single 'Back For Good'. The group's 1993 UK No.1 album 'Everything Changes spent 78 weeks on the UK chart. Had the solo 1996 UK No.3 single 'Child'. Was the winner of UK TV show Celebrity Big Brother in 2002. Re-formed Take That without Robbie Williams in 2006 for a sold-out European tour. Topped the UK singles and album charts simultaneously for the first time in their career when the single 'Patience' and album 'Beautiful World' both reached No.1 in Dec 2006.

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome back, @MOHLovesAlaska. 👍

I missed seeing these posts. Thanks so much for today's history + music facts! 

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

@AlyssaPandora  your so welcome. Thanks for your interest as well as your support. You take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos