cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

Here is what happened on This Day In Music History for this Monday.

Post 1 of 2:

1955 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley signed a management contract with Colonel Tom Parker. Parker had previously managed the 'Great Parker Pony Circus' with one of the acts being a troupe of dancing chickens.

1955 - Ray Charles
Ray Charles peaked at No.2 on the US R&B charts with the Atlantic single 'I Got A Woman', widely considered the first song to be labelled "soul" - a blending of R&B and gospel.

1967 - George Harrison
The first session recording George Harrison's new song ‘Within You Without You’ took place at Abbey Road studios, London. George was the only Beatle to perform on this song, which was still called ‘Untitled’. Harrison played the swordmandel and tamboura, Natver Soni played tabla, Amrat Gajjar played dilruba, PD Joshi played swordmandel, and an undocumented musician played a droning tamboura.

1968 - Led Zeppelin
During a Scandinavian tour Led Zeppelin played two shows in one day. The first was at Teens Club Box 45, Gladsaxe, Denmark and the second at the Brondby Pop Club in Norregard, Denmark. Also on the bill for the second show was The Keef Hartley Band, Ham and Swedish band Made In Sweden.

1968 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones started daily sessions at Olympic Studios in London to start recording their next album, Beggars Banquet. Working from 7pm to 8am each day without a break, the Stones worked on 'Jumpin’ Jack Flash', 'Child Of The Moon', 'Jigsaw Puzzle' and 'Parachute Woman' as well as the instrumental foundation for a song called 'Did Everybody Paid Their Dues?' (which would later become 'Street Fighting Man').

1969 - Marc Bolan
Tyrannosaurus Rex singer Marc Bolan's first book of poetry 'The Warlock Of Love' was published, priced at 12s/6d.

1969 - Cream
Cream started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK chart with their fourth and final original album Goodbye. The single, 'Badge', (which was written by Eric Clapton and George Harrison), was subsequently released from the album a month later. Harrison was credited on the track, (for contractual reasons), as 'L'Angelo Misterioso' on rhythm guitar.

1969 - Tommy Roe
Tommy Roe started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Dizzy', also No.1 in the UK. In 1991 Vic Reeves and the Wonder Stuff took the song to No.1 on the UK chart.

1969 - Janis Joplin
Janis Joplin was featured on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine, on sale for 35 Cents, (2/6). The magazine was founded in San Francisco in 1967 by Jann Wenner, the first issue of November 9, 1967 was in a newspaper format with a lead article on the Monterey Pop Festival.

1970 - Shangri-Las
Mary Ann Ganser American singer with The Shangri-Las died in Queens, New York aged 22 of a drug overdose. Between 1964 and 1966 they charted with teen melodramas, and remain especially known for their hits 'Leader of the Pack', 'Remember (Walking in the Sand)', and 'Give Him a Great Big Kiss'. The Shangri-Las were two sets of sisters: Mary Weiss (lead singer) and Elizabeth "Betty" Weiss and identical twins Marge Ganser and Mary Ann Ganser.

1972 - Donny Osmond
DJ Robert W. Morgan played the Donny Osmond version of 'Puppy Love' for 90 minutes on the radio station KHJ in Los Angeles. LAPD mistakenly raided the station studios after receiving numerous calls from listeners, confused, the officers left without making any arrests.

1973 - Roberta Flack
Roberta Flack was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Killing Me Softly With His Song'. Flack first heard the song on an airline, when the Lori Lieberman original was featured on the in-flight audio program. The song was born from a poem Lieberman wrote after experiencing a strong reaction after seeing Don McLean perform the song ‘Empty Chairs’.

1975 - Doobie Brothers
The Doobie Brothers went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Black Water', the group's first of two US No.1's.

1982 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan was inducted into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame at the 13th annual dinner held at the Hilton Hotel in New York City. After the ceremony Dylan gave a short interview to Jane Hansen, which was broadcast by NBC, TV in New York City.

1986 - Prince
The Bangles were at No.2 on the UK singles chart with 'Manic Monday', a song written by Prince under the pseudonym Christopher, it also made No.2 in the US, held of No.1 by Prince with 'Kiss'.

1988 - Mick Jagger
Mick Jagger opened his first ever solo tour, his first ever performances in Japan and his first full concerts since 1982, with three shows at Osaka's Castle Hall in Osaka, Japan. The show was mostly made up of Rolling Stones songs, including songs not performed by the Stones for a long time, including '**ahem**', 'Gimmie Shelter', 'Ruby Tuesday' and 'Sympathy For The Devil' as well as the Jimi Hendrix song 'Foxy Lady'.

1997 - Spice Girls
The Spice Girls went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Mama', making them the first act ever to have their first four singles reach No.1 on the UK chart.

1998 - Madonna
Madonna scored her sixth UK No.1 album with her seventh studio album Ray Of Light. up until this point, no other female artist had achieved more than three UK No.1 albums.

1999 - Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen was inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame by U2's Bono.

2000 - Mick Jagger
Mick Jagger was ordered to increase his child support payments to Brazilian model Luciana Morad from $5,500 (£3,235) a month to $10,000 (£5,888). Mick was asked to confirm that he was the father of her child by the court, while Ms. Morad was seeking a $10 million (£3.8 million) settlement. Morad told the court her monthly expenses: $3,500 (£2,065) for a nanny; $2,500, £3,000 for food and $3,350 (£1,970) to rent her place on New York's Upper West Side.

2005 - Ian Brown
Former Stone Roses singer Ian Brown was arrested after a fight during a concert in San Francisco after a fan jumped on stage and attacked the singer, who then became involved in a fracas with a security guard. Brown was arrested at his hotel after the show at the Great American Music Hall but released without charge.

2010 - Michael Jackson
Sony Music announced the biggest recording deal in history with the estate of Michael Jackson worth more than $200m (£133m). The deal involved 10 album projects over seven year's including one of previously unreleased material. Sony had sold about 31 million copies of Jackson's albums worldwide since his death on 25 June, 2009.

2013 - Hardrock Gunter
Singer, songwriter and guitarist Hardrock Gunter died from complications of pneumonia, at the age of 88. His music at the turn of the 1950s prefigured rock and roll and rockabilly music. His song 'Birmingham Bounce' from early 1950, became a regional hit, and led to over 20 cover versions, the most successful being by Red Foley, whose version reached No.1 on the country chart. Gunter's original version has become regarded as a contender for the first rock and roll record, predating 'Rocket 88' by Ike Turner's Kings of Rhythm by a year.

2014 - Scott Asheton
Scott Asheton best known as the drummer for the Stooges died of a heart attack aged 64. He co-formed the Stooges in 1967 along with his older brother Ron Asheton, Iggy Pop and Dave Alexander.

2015 - Mike Porcaro
Mike Porcaro bassist with Toto died following a battle with Lou Gehrig's Disease. He was the middle brother of Toto members Jeff Porcaro and Steve Porcaro. Toto who formed in 1978 are best known for such classic rock hits as 'Hold the Line,' 'Rosanna' and 'Africa' and won an Album of the Year Grammy for 1982's Toto IV.

2019 - George Michael
George Michael's art collection sold at auction raising more than £11 million ($14,597,000) for charity at the London branch of Christie's auction house. The singer-songwriter was a major supporter of British artists, including the likes of Tracey Emin and Damien Hirst. The highest price was for The Incomplete Truth, a 2006 Hirst work consisting of a dove preserved in formaldehyde, which sold for £911,250.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Born On This Day In The Music World.

Post 2 of 2:

1912 - Sam Lightnin Hopkins
American blues guitarist and singer Sam 'Lightnin' Hopkins. He was a major influence on Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix. R.E.M. included the song 'Lightnin' Hopkins' on their 1987 album Document. He died 30th January 1982 aged 69.

1922 - Eddie Calvert
British solo trumpeter Eddie Calvert. He had the 1953 UK No.1 'Oh, Mein Papa' and the 1955 UK No.1 with 'Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom White'. In spite of being an instrumental, his theme music for the film The Man with the Golden Arm was banned by the BBC 'due to its connection with a film about drugs. He died on 7 August 1978 aged 56.

1931 - D.J. Fontana
Elvis Presley drummer D.J. Fontana. Before joining guitarist Scotty Moore and bassist Bill Black in Presley's backing band the Blue Moon Boys, Dominic Joseph Fontana worked as the house drummer for his hometown of Shreveport's Louisiana Hayride working with the likes of Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Waylon Jennings, Steve Young, Melba Montgomery, Norma Jean, Vassar Clements, Carl Butler and other country artists. He died on 13 June 2018.

1931 - James Mitchell
James Mitchell, tenor saxophone, The Memphis Horns. Worked with Al Green, Aretha Franklin, Sam And Dave, Elvis Presley, The Doobie Brothers, Otis Redding. Mitchell died on December 18th 2000.

1932 - Arif Mardin
Arif Mardin, Turkish-American music producer and arranger. In 1969, he became Vice President of Atlantic Records and later served as Senior Vice President until 2001. He worked with Aretha Franklin, Bette Midler, Roberta Flack, Wilson Pickett, Average White Band, The Bee Gees, Barbra Streisand and more recently Norah Jones. Mardin died on June 25th 2006 following a lengthy battle with pancreatic cancer.

1940 - Phil Lesh
American musician Phil Lesh who was a founding member and bassist with the Grateful Dead. They released over 140 albums, the majority of them recorded live in concert. After the band's disbanding in 1995, Lesh continued the tradition of Grateful Dead family music with side project Phil Lesh and Friends.

1941 - Mike Love
Mike Love, American singer, songwriter, and musician who co-founded The Beach Boys. Love collaborated with Brian Wilson and was a lyricist on singles including 'Fun, Fun, Fun' (1964), 'California Girls' (1965), and 'Good Vibrations. (1966). The Beach Boys released the 1966 classic album Pet Sounds.

1942 - Hughie Flint
English drummer Hughie Flint, known for his stint in John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, (on their albums John Mayall Plays John Mayall (1965) and Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton (1966), also known as The Beano Album and for his group McGuinness Flint (1970 UK No.2 'When I'm Dead And Gone') and for his subsequent association with The Blues Band.

1944 - Sly Stone
American musician, songwriter, and record producer Sly Stone, most famous for his role as frontman for Sly and the Family Stone, a band which played a critical role in the development of soul, funk, rock, and psychedelia in the 1960s and 1970s. Stones scored the 1968 UK No.7 & US No.8 single 'Dance To The Music', and the 1969 US No.1 single 'Everyday People'.

1944 - David Costell
David Costell, from American 1960s era pop and rock group Gary Lewis and the Playboys who scored the 1965 US No.1 single 'This Diamond Ring' and 11 other US Top 40 hits.

1946 - Howard Scott
American guitarist Howard Scott with American funk band War. Their album The World Is a Ghetto was the best-selling US album of 1973. They also scored the 1973 US No.2 single 'Cisco Kid'.

1947 - Ry Cooder
Ry Cooder, guitarist, member of Captain Beefheart's Magic Band, worked with Gordon Lightfoot, The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Randy Newman, John Lee Hooker. He released the 1979 solo album Bop Till You Drop' and the 1985 film soundtrack album Paris Texas. Cooder produced the Buena Vista Social Club album (1997), which became a worldwide hit.

1947 - Hernandez Lugo
Hernandez Lugo, ? & The Mysterians, (1966 US No. 1 & UK No.37 single 96 Tears). The song was a UK No.17 hit for The Stranglers in 1990.

1948 - Stephen Nisbett
Stephen Nisbett, drummer for the British reggae group, Steel Pulse. He later owned his own record company, Grizzly Records. Nisbett died on 18 January 2018, at the age of 69.

1952 - Howard Devoto
Howard Devoto, English singer-songwriter, who began his career as the frontman for the punk rock band Buzzcocks, but then left to form Magazine, one of the first post-punk bands.

1955 - Dee Snider
American singer-songwriter Dee Snider, lead singer of the heavy metal band Twisted Sister, (1983 UK No.18 single 'I Am, I'm Me', 1984 album Stay Hungry).

1962 - Steve Coy
Steve Coy, from English pop band, Dead Or Alive, who scored the 1985 UK No.1 single 'You Spin Me Round, Like A Record'.

1962 - Terence Trent D'Arby
American singer and songwriter Terence Trent D'arby, who came to fame with his debut studio album, Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby, released in July 1987, which included the singles 'If You Let Me Stay', 'Wishing Well', 'Dance Little Sister' and 'Sign Your Name'. He adopted a new name, Sananda Maitreya, which he has said relates to a series of dreams he had in 1995. He legally changed his name six years later on October 4, 2001.

1963 - Bret Michaels
American singer-songwriter Bret Michaels with the glam metal band Poison who have sold over 40 million records worldwide. They scored the late 80's UK No.13 & US No.1 single 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn'.

1964 - Rockwell
Rockwell, (Kennedy Gordy), 1984 US No 2 & UK No.6 single, 'Somebody's Watching Me'. Rockwell is the son of Motown records boss Berry Gordy.

1968 - Mark McGrath
American singer Mark McGrath from Sugar Ray, who had the 1999 UK No. 10 single 'Every Morning'. Also a TV host on US Show Extra.

1972 - Mark Hoppus
Mark Hoppus, American musician, record producer, and television host, and bassist and singer with Blink 182, who had the 2000 UK No.2 single 'All The Small Things' and the 2001 US No.1 album 'Take Off Your...'

1975 - Will.i.am
American recording artist, songwriter, entrepreneur, voice actor, DJ, record producer, Will.i.am who was a member of Black Eyed Peas, (2003 US & UK No.1 single 'Where Is The Love'). He has produced with other artists including Michael Jackson, Justin Bieber, Eazy-E, Britney Spears, David Guetta, U2, Rihanna, Usher, Justin Timberlake, and Earth, Wind & Fire.

1977 - Joe Bourdon
Joe Bourdon, DJ, Linkin Park who had the 2002 US No.2 & UK No.4 single 'In The End', and the 2002 US No.2 & 2001 UK No.4 album Hybrid Theory.

1981 - Young Buck
Young Buck, American rapper, a former member of the hip hop group UTP Playas. As a music executive, he heads his own record label, Cashville Records, and is a member of hip hop group G-Unit. He had the 2004 US No.2 album Straight Outta Cashville.

Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Listener001
Not applicable

@MOHLovesAlaska do you listen to aerosmith??

Listener001
Not applicable

The first album I ever listened to by U2 was Songs of Innocence.

@Listener001  I listen to just a few of their songs. Why? Is there something you would like to have added? Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Listener001
Not applicable

@MOHLovesAlaska  i just wanted to mention that my favorite album by aerosmith is big ones 1993 album  i discovered  the band by accident but that album has a few of there hit songs on there ¨walk on the water ¨ and ¨amazing ¨ amazing is inspirational and walk on the water is a bop

This Day In Music History for this Tuesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1959 - The Platters
Doo-wop group The Platters scored their only UK No.1 hit with 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes' (also a US No.1 hit). The song was a show tune written by American composer Jerome Kern and lyricist Otto Harbach for their 1933 musical Roberta. Paul Whiteman had the first hit recording of the song in 1934.

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles set a new record for advance sales in the US with 2,100,000 copies of their latest single 'Can't Buy Me Love.' When pressed by American journalists in 1966 to reveal the song's 'true' meaning, Paul McCartney stated 'I think you can put any interpretation you want on anything, but when someone suggests that 'Can't Buy Me Love' is about a prostitute, I draw the line'.

1965 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Last Time', the bands third UK No.1 and first No.1 for songwriters Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

1968 - Otis Redding
The posthumously released Otis Redding single '(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay' started a five week run at No.1 on the US chart, (a No.3 hit the UK). Otis was killed in a plane crash on 10th December 1967 three days after recording the song. 'Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay', became the first posthumous No.1 single in US chart history and sold over four million copies worldwide.

1970 - Tammi Terrell
Motown singer Tammi Terrell died of a brain tumor at the age of 24. She had collapsed onstage on October 14, 1967 into Marvin Gaye's arms during a concert in Hampton, Virginia. Initially Terrell recorded solo, but from 1967 onwards she recorded a series of duets with Marvin Gaye, including the 1967 US No.5 'Your Precious Love' and the 1968, ‘Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing’. Marvin Gaye reacted to her death by taking a four year hiatus from concert performance and went into self-isolation.

1971 - Simon and Garfunkel
Winners at this years Grammy Awards included, Simon and Garfunkel who won Record of the year, Song of the year and Album of the year for Bridge Over Troubled Water. The Carpenters won Best new act and Best vocal performance for 'Close To You'.

1972 - John Lennon
John Lennon lodged an appeal with the US immigration office in New York, after he was served with deportation orders arising from his 1968 cannabis possession conviction.

1974 - Elvis Presley
During a US tour, Elvis Presley played the first of four nights at the Midsouth Coliseum in Memphis Tennessee. This was the first time Elvis had played in Memphis since 1961.

1977 - Paper Lace
Paper Lace were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the anti-war pop song 'Billy Don't Be A Hero,' the group's only No.1. Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods scored a US No.1 with their version of the song.

1977 - Sex Pistols
After being with the label for just six days the Sex Pistols were fired from A&M due to pressure from other label artists and its Los Angeles head office. 25,000 copies of 'God Save The Queen' were pressed and the band made £75,000 ($127,500) from the deal.

1991 - Reba McEntire
Seven members of Country singer Reba McEntire's band and her road manager were among 10 people killed when their private jet crashed in California just north of the Mexican border. McEntire, who had given a private concert in San Diego for IBM employees the night before, was not on the plane.

1992 - Metallica
During a Metallica gig at Orlando Arena fans dangled an usher by his ankles from the balcony as trouble broke out at the concert. The band were charged $38,000 (£22,353) for repairs and cleaning after the audience trashed the building.

1996 - Charles Pope
Charles Pope singer with the American vocal group The Tams died of heart failure. They had the 1964 US hit 'What Kind of Fool (Do You Think I Am)' and the 1971 UK No.1 single 'Hey Girl Don't Bother Me'. The group took their name from the Tam O'Shanter hats they wore on stage.

2010 - ABBA
ABBA were inducted into the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, along with Genesis and The Hollies. Abba's Benny Andersson and Anni-Frid Lyngstad accepted their trophies, in New York.

2010 - Led Zeppelin
A rare Led Zeppelin recording from the group's 1971 gig at St Matthew's Baths Hall in Ipswich, England was unearthed at a car boot sale. The bootleg copy of the audio from the group's gig on November 16th 1971 was picked up for just 'two or three pounds' by music fan Vic Kemp who said 'I was going through a stand of CDs at the car boot at Portman Road and the guy who was selling them said, 'You might be interested in this. It must have been recorded by someone standing at the front with a microphone. You can hear Robert Plant talking to the audience quite clearly.'

2012 - Morrissey
A series of 'medical mishaps' forced Morrissey to cancel the rest of his forthcoming concerts in the US. The ex-Smiths frontman had suffered a number of illnesses including a bleeding ulcer, Barrett's esophagus and double pneumonia. The 53-year-old, had already called off 21 gigs this year due to poor health.

2015 - Sam Smith
Sam Smith stopped Madonna from topping the UK album chart, denying her the 12th No.1 of her career. Madonna's latest album, Rebel Heart, had been in pole position throughout the week, but Smith's In The Lonely Hour sneaked ahead at the last minute, beating Madonna by 12,000 sales. In The Lonely Hour had now spent six separate spells at No.1 - a record for a male solo artist.

2015 - Andy Fraser
Andy Fraser songwriter and bass guitarist with Free died of a heart attack caused by Atherosclerosis in California aged 62. The London-born musician became a founding member of the British group when he was just 15 and went on to write most of the material with lead singer Paul Rodgers, including Free's 1970 hit 'All Right Now', 'My Brother Jake' and 'The Stealer'. Fraser also penned 'Every Kinda People', a hit for Robert Palmer as well as songs for Joe Cocker, Chaka Khan, Rod Stewart and Paul Young.

2017 - James Cotton
American blues harmonica player, singer and songwriter James Cotton died from pneumonia aged 81. Cotton worked in Howlin' Wolf's band in the early 1950s. In 1955, he was recruited by Muddy Waters to come to Chicago and join his band. In 2006, Cotton was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame.

2019 - Justin Carter
American country singer Justin Carter died after being accidentally shot during the filming of a music video at his apartment in Woodlands, an area north of Houston. The singer had just released a new song titled ‘Love Affair’ a week earlier.

2019 - **ahem** Dale
American rock guitarist **ahem** Dale died of heart failure at the age of 81. He was known as The 'King of the Surf Guitar'. He pioneered and created what many call the surf music style. Dale worked closely with Fender to produce custom made amplifiers, including the first-ever 100-watt guitar amplifier. His song 'Misirlou' featured over the opening credits to Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction.

End of post 1 of 2.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1936 - Fred Neil
American folk singer-songwriter Fred Neil who wrote 'Everybody's Talkin'', which became a hit for Harry Nilsson after being used for the film Midnight Cowboy. His song 'The Other Side of This Life" was covered by the Lovin’ Spoonful, The Animals, The Youngbloods, Peter Paul & Mary and Jefferson Airplane. Neil died of natural causes on July 7th 2001, as he battled skin cancer.

1942 - Jerry Jeff Walker
American country music singer and songwriter Jerry Jeff Walker. He wrote 'Mr Bojangles' a hit for The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in 1970. Since then Walker's song has been recorded by many popular artists, including Garth Brooks, Chet Atkins, Jim Croce, Jamie Cullum, John Denver, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, Elton John, Don McLean and Dolly Parton. He died of throat cancer on 23 Oct 2020 age 78.

1948 - Michael Bruce
American rock musician Michael Bruce, guitarist with the Alice Cooper Band, who had the 1972 UK No.1 & US No.7 single 'School's Out' and the 1973 US & UK No.1 album Billion Dollar Babies.

1950 - Matt Irving
Scottish musician Matt Irving best known as the bass guitar player for Manfred Mann's Earth Band between 1981 and 1986. Irving has also worked with with The Lords of the New Church, Squeeze, Chris Rea, Paul Young and Roger Waters. He died on 3 April 2015.

1954 - Jimmy Nail
English singer-songwriter, actor, film producer, and television writer Jimmy Nail who had the 1985 UK No.3 hit 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' and the 1992 UK No.1 single 'Ain't No Doubt'. Nail also appeared in the TV series Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, Spender and Crocodile Shoes.

1954 - Nancy Wilson
American musician, singer, songwriter, Nancy Wilson who with Heart had the 1986 US No.1 single 'These Dreams, and the 1987 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Alone'.

1959 - Flavor Flav
American musician, rapper, Flavor Flav who rose to prominence as a member of the hip-hop group Public Enemy. They had the 1991 US No.4 album Apocalypse 91... The Enemy Strikes Black.

1963 - Stuart Kerr
Stuart Kerr, drummer with Love & Money and then Texas who had the 1989 UK No.8 single 'I Don't Want A Lover'.

1966 - H.P. Baxxter
H.P. Baxxter (born Hans-Peter Geerdes in Leer), German techno group Scooter who have sold over 14 million records and are considered the most successful single-record German act with 20 top ten hits. 2008 UK No.1 album 'Jumping All Over The World.'

1970 - Alex Lee
Alex Lee, guitarist who has worked with Goldfrapp, Suede, Placebo, Strangelove and The Blue Aeroplanes.

1972 - Andrew Dunlop
Andrew Dunlop, guitarist with Scottish rock band Travis. Their 1999 UK album The Man Who spent nine weeks at No.1 on the UK Charts and one-hundred and thirty-four weeks in the top 100 of the chart. Travis had and 1999 UK No.10 single 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me', plus over 10 other UK Top 40 singles.

1979 - Lordi
Leena Peisa, keyboards, Lordi. Became Finland's first ever Eurovision Song Contest winners after their song 'Hard Rock Hallelujah' won the contest held in Athens in 2006.

Until tomorrow, (hopefully) take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Happy St. Patrick's Day Pandora Community. Well, here is what happened "This Day In Music History".  

(Side note) @Pandora  has extended their character limit from 20,000 per post to 100,000. So I shouldn't have to break-up the post from this day going forward. 

1957 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley bought the Graceland mansion from Mrs. Ruth Brown-Moore for $102,500. (£60,295). The 23 room, 10,000 square foot home, on 13.8 acres of land, would be expanded to 17,552 square feet of living space before Elvis moved in a few weeks later. The original building had at one time been a place of worship, used by the Graceland Christian Church and was named after the builder's daughter, Grace Toof.

1966 - Walker Brothers
The Walker Brothers had their second UK No.1 with the single 'The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore', (originally recorded by Frankie Valli).

1967 - Jimi Hendrix
Jimi Hendrix Experience released 'Purple Haze' in the UK, (US release was June 19). Hendrix had read Night of Light, a 1966 novel by Philip José Farmer. In the story set on a distant planet, sunspots produced a "purplish haze" which had a disorienting effect on the inhabitants. It is thought that Hendrix took this as the idea for the songs lyrics.

1967 - The Beatles
Working at Abbey Road studios in London, The Beatles finished the recording of 'She's Leaving Home' after adding backing vocals to the track. Harpist Sheila Bromberg who was part of the string section on the track became the first woman to play on a Beatles recording.

1973 - Dr Hook
Dr Hook's single 'On The Cover Of Rolling Stone' peaked at No.6 on the US chart. The single was banned in the UK by the BBC due to the reference of the magazine.

1978 - U2
U2 won £500 ($850) and a chance to audition for CBS Ireland in a talent contest held in Dublin. The Limerick Civic Week Pop '78 Competition was sponsored by The Evening Express and Guinness Harp Lager.

1979 - Gloria Gaynor
Gloria Gaynor started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Will Survive.' The song was originally released as the B-side to a song first recorded by The Righteous Brothers called 'Substitute.'

1979 - Bee Gees
The Bee Gees went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their fifteenth studio album release Spirits Having Flown, the group's first album after their collaboration on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. The album's first three tracks were released as singles and all reached No.1 in the US, giving the Bee Gees an unbroken run of six US chart-toppers and tying a record set by The Beatles. 

1984 - Van Halen
Van Halen's Jump' peaked at No.1 in the US. Over the years David Lee Roth has given various accounts of the meaning behind the lyrics, but most often says they are about a TV news story he saw where a man was about to kill himself by jumping off a building.

1990 - Rick Grech
British multi-instrumentalist. Rick Grech who had worked with Family, Blind Faith, Traffic, and Ginger Bakers Airforce died of renal failure at the age of 43, as a result of alcoholism. As a session musician Grech also worked with Rod Stewart, Ronnie Lane, Vivian Stanshall, Muddy Waters, The Crickets, the Bee Gees and Gram Parsons

1996 - Terry Stafford
American singer and songwriter Terry Stafford died of liver failure, at the age of 54. He is best known for his 1964 US Top 10 hit, ‘Suspicion’, (also recorded by Elvis Presley) and the 1973 country music hit, ‘Amarillo by Morning’. ‘Suspicion’ had the distinction of being sixth on the Billboard Hot 100 on April 4, 1964, when the Beatles held down the top five spots. 'Amarillo by Morning', was later covered by George Strait on his 1982 album Strait from the Heart. The song was once named the No.12 country song of all-time by Country Music Television.

1997 - Jermaine Stewart
American R&B singer Jermaine Stewart died of AIDS-related liver cancer at age 39. Stewart scored the 1986 UK No.2 and US No.5 single 'We Don't Have To...Take Our Clothes Off'. He gained recognition as a dancer on the television show Soul Train. Stewart later worked with Shalamar, The Temptations and Boy George.

1997 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley Enterprises of Memphis, Tennessee, lost its Court of Appeal battle to stop London trader Sid Shaw using the name of 'The King' on his souvenirs. The legal tussle with Mr Shaw, who ran a memorabilia shop called 'Elvisly Yours', had been going on for over 17 years. Speaking after the ruling, Mr Shaw said: 'I'm delighted. I've proved that Elvis belongs to all of us - Elvis is part of our history, part of our culture'.

2004 - Ray Davies
The Kinks singer Ray Davies received his CBE medal from the Queen at Buckingham Palace for services to the music industry.

2005 - Justin Hawkins
Justin Hawkins from The Darkness became the Centre of the latest hands-on activity at Madame Tussauds in London. His wax double would judge the air guitar skills of visitors who would be invited to play an imaginary guitar with smoke and music pumping out. Hawkins said: 'I find the process of air guitaring rather silly. What makes a good air guitarist? Alcohol.'

2006 - The Smiths
The Smiths turned down a $5m (£2.8m) offer to reform for a music festival. The band who split acrimoniously in 1987, rejected the bid to get back together for this year's Coachella US festival.

2008 - Ola Brunkert
Ola Brunkert, the former drummer with the Swedish group ABBA, was found dead with his throat cut at his home in Majorca, Spain. Brunkert died after he hit his head against a glass door in the dining room at his home. He had managed to wrap a towel around his neck and leave the house to seek help, but collapsed and was found dead in his garden. The 62-year old musician had played on every ABBA album the group released and had toured with the group.

2010 - Alex Chilton
American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and record producer, Alex Chilton died in hospital of heart problems in New Orleans aged 59. As a teenager Chilton had been a member of The Box Tops who had the 1967 hit 'The Letter' and later in 1971 co-founded the power-pop group Big Star, with Chris Bell. In the 1980s both R.E.M. and the Replacements cited Big Star group as a major influence.

2013 - John Lennon and George Harrison
John Lennon and George Harrison were honoured with a blue plaque at the site of the former Apple Boutique in a ceremony in London held at at 94 Baker Street. The new plaque reads "John Lennon, M.B.E., 1940-1980, and George Harrison, M.B.E., 1943-2001, worked here."

2016 - The 1975
English indie rock band The 1975 were at No.1 on the US album chart with their second album I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It. The album title set the record for the longest of a Billboard No.1 album with 71 characters.

2019 - André Williams
American R&B musician André Williams died in Chicago, Illinois, at the age of 82. He started his career in the 1950s; his most famous songs include the hits ‘Jail Bait,’ ‘Greasy Chicken,’ ‘Bacon Fat’ and ‘Cadillac Jack’ (1966). He was also the co-author of the R&B hit ‘Shake a Tail Feather’.

2019 - Bernie Tormé
Irish rock guitarist, singer, songwriter, Bernie Tormé died a day before he would have turned 67. Tormé is best known for his work with Gillan, as well as his brief stints with Ozzy Osbourne's backing band and Atomic Rooster.

1919 - Nat King Cole
American jazz pianist and vocalist Nat King Cole, who had the 1955 US No.2 single 'A Blossom Fell', the 1957 UK No.2 single 'When I Fall In Love'. He recorded over one hundred songs that became hits on the pop charts and was the first black man to host an American television series. Nat King Cole died of lung cancer on February 15th 1965.

1938 - Zola Taylor
Zola Taylor from American vocal group The Platters who had the 1959 UK & US No.1 single 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes'. She was the original female member of The Platters from 1954 to 1962. The Platters were one of the first African-American groups to be accepted as a major chart group and were, for a period of time, the most successful vocal group in the world. She died on 30 April 2007 age 69.

1941 - Paul Kantner
American guitarist, singer and songwriter Paul Kantner from Jefferson Airplane. He was known for co-founding Jefferson Airplane, the leading psychedelic rock band of the counterculture era, and its more commercial spin-off band Jefferson Starship. With Jefferson Airplane, Kantner was among the performers at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 1966 and the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 and the Woodstock Festival in 1969. Kantner died in San Francisco at the age of 74 on Jan 28, 2016 due to multiple organ failure and septic shock after he suffered a heart attack days earlier.

1941 - Clarence Collins
Clarence Collins from Little Anthony and The Imperials who had the 1958 US No.4 single 'Tears On My Pillow'. The song gave Kylie Minogue a UK No.1 in 1990.

1944 - Bob Johnson
Bob Johnson, guitarist with English folk rock band Steeleye Span who formed in 1969. They had the 1975 UK No.5 single 'All Around My Hat' and a hit with 'Gaudete'.

1944 - John Sebastian
American singer, songwriter, guitarist, harmonicist, and autoharpist, John Sebastian who is best known as a founder of The Lovin' Spoonful. They had the 1966 UK No.2 single 'Daydream', and 1966 US No.1 single 'Summer in The City' and Sebastian scored the solo 1976 US No.1 single 'Welcome Back'. In August 1969, Sebastian made a memorable, albeit unscheduled appearance at Woodstock. He was not on the performance bill and traveled to the festival as a spectator, but he was asked to appear when the organizer's suddenly needed an acoustic performer after a rain break.

1944 - Pat McAuley
Pat McAuley, keyboards with the Northern Irish band Them who had the 1965 UK hits 'Baby, Please Don't Go' and 'Here Comes The Night' with Van Morrison on lead vocals. Morrison quit the band in 1966 and went on to a successful career as a solo artist.

1946 - Harold Brown
Harold Brown, drummer and vocalist and band leader with American funk band War. Their album The World Is a Ghetto was the best-selling US album of 1973. They also scored the 1973 US No.2 single 'Cisco Kid'.

1948 - Pat Lloyd
Pat Lloyd, from the British pop, R&B and rock group The Equals who had the 1968 UK No.1 & US No.32 single 'Baby Come Back' written by Eddy Grant.

1951 - Scott Gorham
American guitarist and songwriter Scott Gorham Thin Lizzy, who had the 1976 hit single 'The Boys Are Back In Town' and the UK No.2 album Live and Dangerous. Gorham joined the band at a time when their future was in doubt after the departures of original guitarist Eric Bell and his brief replacement Gary Moore.

1959 - Mike Lindup
Mike Lindup, keyboard player and falsetto voiced singer from Level 42, who had the 1986 UK No.3 & US No.12 single 'Lessons In Love' & 19 other UK Top 40 hits.

1962 - Clare Grogan
Scottish actress and singer Clare Grogan who with Altered Images had the 1981 UK No.2 single 'Happy Birthday'. Her first film appearance was in the acclaimed film Gregory's Girl, and has since appeared in UK soap EastEnders, Red Dwarf and the comedy Father Ted.

1963 - Michael Ivins
Michael Ivins, bassist and keyboardist and one of the founding members of The Flaming Lips. Their 1999 release The Soft Bulletin was NME magazine's Album of the Year and the group has won three Grammy Awards.

1967 - Billy Corgan
Billy Corgan, American musician, songwriter with alternative rock band, Smashing Pumpkins who had the 1995 US No.1 album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

1972 - Melissa Auf Der Maur
Canadian musician, singer-songwriter Melissa Auf Der Maur for the American alternative rock band Hole who she joined in the summer of 1994 and is included on several Hole releases, including the album Celebrity Skin (1998).

1972 - Sean Price
American rapper Sean Price who was a member of the hip hop collective Boot Camp Clik and was also half of the duo Heltah Skeltah, performing under the name Ruckus. Price died on 8 Aug 2015 aged 43.

1973 - Caroline Corr
Caroline Corr, drums, vocals, with Irish band The Corrs, who had the 1998 UK No.3 single 'What Can I Do'. Talk On Corners was the best selling UK album of 1998 spending 142 weeks on the UK chart. The Corrs have sold 40 million albums worldwide.

1975 - Justin Hawkins
Justin Hawkins, singer with English rock The Darkness who had the 2003 UK No.2 single ‘I Believe In A Thing Called Love’, and the 2003 UK No.1 album ‘Permission To Land’. The album was certified quadruple platinum in the United Kingdom, with sales of over 1,300,000 and in 2004 the band won three Brit Awards.

1976 - Stephen Gately
Stephen Gately, vocals, Boyzone, who have had 21 UK hit singles, including 6 UK No.1 singles. Their breakthrough hit was their second single and cover version of the classic Osmonds hit, 'Love Me for a Reason', which peaked at No.2 on the UK Singles Chart. Gately had the solo 2000 UK No.3 single 'New Beginning / Bright Eyes'). He died of a congenital heart defect on 10th Oct 2009.

1990 - Hozier
Hozier, Irish singer-songwriter. His self-titled 2014 album went to No.1 in nine European countries and his 2013 single 'Take Me to Church' was a Top 3 hit 10 European countries.

Hopefully we can do this again tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Listener001
Not applicable

Hozier is awesome and Van Halen is awesome the 1975 are awesome and amazing also u2 and the smiths elvis and the beatles billy corgan smashing pumpkins oh yeah there definitely awesome and amazing  along with gloria gaynor elvis and the beatles for some reason i'm not much of a fan for them and the rest of them i don't know much about them so i learned something new today ill harold brown though. 

@Listener001 , I will be sure to add some music of the one's you had mentioned that you liked. I will add them as your selections. Take care and stay safe.

P.S I thought you really did great today with your first post. Things will only go north from here. Be safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Listener001
Not applicable

@MOHLovesAlaska   thank you so much. 

The Rolling Stones were each fined £5 ($8.50) for urinating in a public place, following an incident that had taken place at a petrol station after a gig at the ABC Theatre in Romford, Essex, England. This was after the last show on their fifth UK package tour with The Hollies, The Konrads, all girl-group Goldie and the Gingerbreads and Dave Berry and the Cruisers.

1965 - Motortown Revue
The groundbreaking Motortown Revue landed at the Finsbury Park Astoria, London, England on the first night of a package tour that took them around the UK visiting 21 theatres for two shows a night, plus a live TV special. Topping the bill was Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas, and 14 year-old Little Stevie Wonder all backed by the legendary Funk Brothers.

1967 - Steve Winwood
The UK music magazine New Musical Express announced that former Spencer Davis Group member Steve Winwood was planning to form a new group with Jim Capaldi, Chris Wood and Dave Mason. The ensemble would choose the name Traffic.

1967 - The Beatles
The Beatles scored their 13th US No.1 single with 'Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields Forever'. The song's title is derived from the name of a street near Lennon's house, in Liverpool. McCartney and Lennon would meet at Penny Lane junction in the Mossley Hill area to catch a bus into the Centre of the city.

1972 - Neil Young
Neil Young started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Heart Of Gold'. Released from the 1972 album Harvest, it is so far Young's only US No. 1 single. The song features backup vocals by James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt.

1972 - Paul Simon
Paul Simon scored his first solo No.1 album when his self-titled debut went to the top on the UK charts. Featuring the singles 'Mother And Child Reunion' and 'Me And Julio Down By The School Yard.'

1972 - Ringo Starr
T Rex played the first of two sold out nights at Wembley's Empire Pool; Ringo Starr filmed the shows for the 'Born To Boogie' Apple documentary.

1977 - Clash
The Clash released their debut single 'White Riot.' The song is in the typical punk style of three chords played very fast. Mick Jones counts off '1-2-3-4' at the start of the album version while the single version begins with the sound of a police siren instead.

1978 - Samantha Song
The Bee Gees had the Top 3 on the US singles charts, 'Night Fever' at No.1, '(Love is) Thicker Than Water', by brother Andy at No.2, co-written by Barry Gibb and 'Emotion' by Samantha Song written and produced by The Bee Gees at No.3.

1989 - Cat Stevens
A radio station in California arranged to have all it's Cat Stevens records destroyed by having a steamroller run over them in protest of the singer's support of Iranian politician Ayatollah Khomeini.

1989 - Jason Donovan
Stock, Aitken and Waterman had three singles in the UK Top 5: Jason Donovan's 'Too Many Broken Hearts', Bananarama 'Help', and Donna Summer's 'This Time I Know Its For Real.' SAW are considered to be one of the most successful songwriting and producing partnerships of all time, scoring more than 100 UK top 40 hits.

1991 - U2
After attending an in-store promo appearance U2 were fined £500 ($850) after being found guilty of selling condoms illegally at the Virgin Megastore, Dublin.

2001 - John Phillips
American singer, guitarist, and songwriter John Phillips of Mamas and The Papas died of heart failure aged 65. His first band, The Journeymen, were a folk trio, Mamas and The Papas had the US No.1 'Monday, Monday'. Phillips was married to Michelle Gilliam, they had one child together, Chynna Phillips, vocalist of the 1990s pop trio Wilson Phillips. His second solo album was released on Rolling Stones records and featured Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood. 

2001 - A1
Tragedy struck at an in-store appearance by British boy band A1 in the Indonesian capital of Jakarta after a stampede amongst the fans. Four girls were killed and two others were seriously injured.

2002 - Ramones
Ramones were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by Eddie Vedder, lead singer of Pearl Jam and close friend of the Ramones The ceremony took place at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City.

2004 - Courtney Love
Courtney Love exposed her breasts during an appearance on David Letterman's TV talk show. The singer who had her back to the audience flashed at the presenter while singing the song Danny Boy. After the show, she went on to perform a surprise gig at the Plaid night-club in Manhattan where she was alleged to have injured a man by throwing a microphone stand into the crowd. Ms. Love was charged with assault and reckless endangerment.

2008 - Paul McCartney
Heather Mills' evidence in her divorce case with Sir Paul McCartney was 'inconsistent, inaccurate' and 'less than candid', according to judge Mr Justice Bennett's. His High Court ruling was revealed in full after Ms. Mills was told she could not appeal against its publication. The full ruling was published a day after she was awarded £24.3m at the High Court in London. Mills was awarded £3.2m per year for herself and the couple's daughter Beatrice, £8m for a home in London and £3m to purchase a home in New York. The judge found the total value of Sir Paul's assets was about £400m. Ms. Mills had sought £125m and been offered £15.8m.

2011 - The Shadows
Jet Harris, bass guitarist for The Shadows, died from throat cancer at the age of 71. Jet played on the hit 'Apache' and during their days as Cliff Richard's backing band, performed on the chart-topper 'Living Doll'. In 1962 he left the group and had solo hits with 'Besame Mucho' and 'The Man With The Golden Arm'.

2011 - The Beatles
Organizer's of an attempt to reunite 19 people who watched The Beatles play in a town hall in 1963 had claims from 24 people who said they were there. Billy Shanks was helping to lead the search for the audience members of the gig in Dingwall, Ross-shire, Scotland in 1963. He said some who turned up thought the music was rubbish and left to join an audience of 1,200 watching a local band in nearby Strathpeffer.

2013 - David Bowie
David Bowie's first album in a decade become the fastest-selling of the year, hitting the No.1 spot in the UK in its first week of release. Bowie took great pains to keep the recording of the album secret, requiring people involved in the recording to sign NDAs. Bowie had to change recording studios after one day when someone at the studio leaked the rumour that he was recording there. The Next Day was the 66-year-old's first No.1 since 1993's Black Tie White Noise and sold 94,000 copies in the first week.

2014 - Joe Lala
American musician, percussionist, actor and voice actor Joe Lala died from complications of lung cancer at the age of 66. As a drummer and percussionist, he worked with The Byrds, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Manassas, The Bee Gees, Whitney Houston, Joe Walsh, Andy Gibb and many others. He played the trademark congas that drove the Bee Gees' 1976 US chart-topper 'You Should Be Dancing', subsequently included on the multi-million selling Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

2017 - Chuck Berry
Chuck Berry died aged 90. The American guitarist, singer and songwriter was one of the pioneers of rock and roll music. With songs such as 'Maybellene' (1955), 'Roll Over Beethoven' (1956), 'Rock and Roll Music' (1957) and 'Johnny B. Goode' (1958), Berry refined and developed rhythm and blues into the major elements that made rock and roll distinctive.

2019 - Slipknot
Slipknot announced that percussionist Chris Fehn has left the band after he launched legal action against the group over a financial dispute. Fehn had been a member since 1998, and had the lineup number of 3. Fehn accused band leaders Corey Taylor and Shawn Crahan of “shady business dealings,” and had demanded “full forensic accounting” with a view to recovering profits and damages. 

Born On This Day In the Music World.

1936 - Robert Lee Smith
Robert Lee Smith, from the American vocal group The Tams who had the 1964 US hit 'What Kind of Fool (Do You Think I Am)' and the 1971 UK No.1 single 'Hey Girl Don't Bother Me'. The group took their name from the Tam O'Shanter hats they wore on stage.

1938 - Charley Pride
American singer Charley Pride who has had thirty-nine No.1 hits on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts. His greatest success came in the 1970s, when he became the best-selling performer for RCA Records since Elvis Presley, Pride became the first Black country musician to be inducted into the Grand Ole Opry. He died on 12 Dec 2020 age 86.

1941 - Wilson Pickett
American singer and songwriter Wilson Pickett, who recorded over 50 songs which made the US R&B charts, many of which crossed over to the Billboard Hot 100. Among his best-known hits are 'In the Midnight Hour' (which he co-wrote), 'Land of 1,000 Dances', 'Mustang Sally', and 'Funky Broadway'. Pickett died of a heart attack on 19 Jan 2006 aged 64.

1943 - Dennis Linde
Dennis Linde, best known for writing the 1972 Elvis Presley hit, 'Burning Love'. Linde wrote numerous hit songs for mainly country music singers. In 2000, his song for the Dixie Chicks, 'Goodbye Earl', stirred some controversy for its take on spousal abuse. He died at Vanderbilt University Medical Center on December 22, 2006 aged 63.

1945 - Eric Woolfson
Scottish songwriter, lyricist, vocalist, producer, pianist, and co-creator of The Alan Parsons Project Eric Woolfson. He wrote songs for Marianne Faithfull, Frank Ifield, The Tremeloes, Marmalade, Dave Berry, and Peter Noone. Following the 10 successful albums he made with Alan Parsons, he sold over 50 million albums worldwide. Woolfson died on 2 December 2009 from kidney cancer age 64.

1947 - Barry J Wilson
Barry J Wilson, drums, Procol Harum, who had the 1967 UK No.1 & US No.5 single 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' Wilson died after spending several months in a coma following a car accident on October 8 1990, he was 43.

1950 - John Hartman
American drummer John Hartman who was a co-founder and original drummer with The Doobie Brothers. They had the 1979 US No.1 single 'What A Fool Believes', and the 1993 UK No.7 single 'Long Train Runnin'. The group has sold more than 40 million albums worldwide throughout its career.

1952 - Bernie Tormé
Bernie Tormé, Irish rock guitarist, singer, songwriter, best known for his work with Gillan, and brief stints with Ozzy Osbourne's backing band and Atomic Rooster. He died on 17 March 2019, a day before he would have turned 67.

1959 - Irene Cara
Irene Cara, American singer, songwriter, dancer and actress who had the 1982 UK No.1 & US No. 4 single, 'Fame' & 1983 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Flashdance...What A Feeling'. Cara played Coco Hernandez in Fame.

1961 - Grant Hart
American musician Grant Hart, best known as the drummer and co-songwriter for the alternative rock and hardcore punk band Husker Du. After the band's breakup in 1988, he formed the alternative rock trio Nova Mob. Hart died on September 13, 2017 from liver cancer and Hepatitis C age 56.

1963 - Vanessa Williams
American actress, singer, and fashion designer Vanessa Williams who spent five weeks at No.1 on the US charts in 1992 with her single 'Save The Best To Last'. She was the first African-American recipient of the Miss America title when she was crowned Miss America in 1983.

1964 - Courtney Pine
Multi-instrumentalist, Courtney Pine, British jazz musician from the black British band the Jazz Warriors. Pine has also worked with Charlie Watts, Mica Paris, and is a composer of film and TV music.

1966 - Jerry Cantrell
American musician Jerry Cantrell who is best known as the founder, lead guitarist, co-lead vocalist and main songwriter for the rock band Alice in Chains. Cantrell had small roles in the films Jerry Maguire (1996) and Rock Slyde (2009).

1967 - Miki Berenyi
English singer, songwriter and guitarist Miki Berenyi who was a member of the alternative rock band Lush who had the 1996 UK No.21 single 'Single Girl'.

1970 - Queen Latifah
American rapper, songwriter and singer, Queen Latifah. Her third album Black Reign (1993), spawned the single 'U.N.I.T.Y.', which won a Grammy Award and was successful on the Billboard Hot 100.

1974 - Stuart Zender
Stuart Zender, English bassist with Jamiroquai who had the 1993 UK No.1 album Emergency on Planet Earth and the 1998 UK No.1 single 'Deeper Underground'. Jamiroquai have sold more than 26 million albums worldwide and won a Grammy Award in 1998.

1979 - Adam Levine
Adam Levine, guitar, vocals, Maroon 5, who had the 2004 UK No.1 album ‘Songs About Jane’, the 2004 US No.1 & UK No.4 single ‘She Will Be Loved’ and the 2014 US No.1 album V.

1985 - Marvin Humes
Marvin Humes, singer, with English boy band JLS, runners-up of the fifth series of The X Factor Their first two singles 'Beat Again' and 'Everybody in Love' both went to No.1 on the UK singles chart.

1986 - Lykke Li
Lykke Li, Swedish indie pop singer-songwriter. She also worked with Norwegian electronic duo Röyksopp on their 2009 album Junior and Kanye West, David Lynch and others.

Hopefully we can do this again tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

What are we going to learn today? This Day In Music History for this Friday. 

1962 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan's debut album Bob Dylan was released in the Untied States. Initially poor sales led the record to be known around Columbia Records as ‘Hammond's Folly’ (John Hammond was producer of Dylan’s early recordings and the man responsible for signing Dylan). The album was praised by the New York City weekly newspaper Village Voice as an ‘explosive country blues debut’, but featured only two Dylan original compositions, 'Talkin' New York' and 'Song To Woody', the rest being old folk standards.

1964 - The Beatles
UK Prime Minister Harold Wilson presented The Beatles with their awards for show business personalities of the year for 1963 at London's Dorchester Hotel.

The Tailor And Cutter Magazine ran an article asking The Rolling Stones to start wearing ties. The current fashion did not include wearing ties with shirts and many tie-makers were facing financial disaster. Mick Jagger said of the appeal, 'The trouble with a tie is that it could dangle in the soup. It is also something extra to which a fan can hang when you are trying to get in and out of a theatre.'

1971 - T Rex
T Rex were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Hot Love.' The group's first of four UK No.1's spent six weeks at the top of the charts.

1974 - Jefferson Airplane
Jefferson Airplane re-named the group and became Jefferson Starship. The new line-up included Paul Kantner, Grace Slick, drummer Johnny Barbata, David Freiberg, Peter Kaukonen, Cragi Chaquico and Papa John Creach.

1975 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin played the first of two sold-out nights at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, Canada. Tickets cost $7.50. The set list included: 'Rock And Roll', "Stairway To Heaven" 'Whole Lotta Love', 'Black Dog' and 'Heartbreaker'.

1976 - Paul Kossoff
Paul Kossoff guitarist with Free and Back Street Crawler died aged 25, of heart failure during a flight from Los Angeles to New York, (Kossof had a long history of drug abuse). Free had the 1970 UK No.2 & US No.4 single "All Right Now". His first band was Black Cat Bones alongside drummer Simon Kirke, (later of Free), and Kossof formed Back Street Crawler after leaving Free.

1982 - Randy Rhoads
Ozzy Osbourne guitarist and former Quiet Riot member Randy Rhoads was killed when the plane he was riding in crashed. After driving much of the night, the band had stopped near a small airstrip. The tour bus driver, Andrew Aycock, talked the band's keyboardist, Don Airey, into taking a test flight in a '55 Beechcraft Bonanza, the joyride ended, and the plane landed safely. Then Aycock took Rhoads and Rachel Youngblood on another flight and attempts were made to 'buzz' the tour bus. The left wing clipped the bus, which sent the plane spiraling into a nearby house and bursting into flames. All three bodies were burned beyond recognition, and were identified by dental records.

1988 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson began construction on his 2,800-acre ranch and private amusement park in Santa Barbara, California, which he named "Neverland" after a fantasy location in his favorite book, Peter Pan, a place where children never grow up.

1996 - John Lennon
The second Beatles Anthology series was released. The album featured 'Real Love', a track the remaining members of the Beatles recorded using an old demo track of John Lennon's The song was first recorded by Lennon in 1977 with a handheld tape recorder on his piano at home. It originated as part of an unfinished stage play that Lennon was working on at the time entitled 'The Ballad of John and Yoko.'

2001 - Geri Halliwell
Former Spice Girl Geri Helliwell's London home was broken into. The intruder left obscene notes on the walls, stole the singer's computer and Hi Fi and had thrown milk and ribena fruit drink on the walls. They also stole a necklace that used to belong to actress Liz Taylor.

2001 - Keith Richards
Keith Richards inducted Johnnie Johnson and James Burton at the 16th annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame award ceremonies at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City. Richards also took part in the closing jam with Bono, Paul Simon, Kid Rock, Solomon Burke, Robbie Robertson and others.

2005 - 50 Cent
50 Cent became the first solo artist to have three singles in the US Top 5. 'Candy Shop' was at No.1 with 'How We Do' by The Game, (a member of his G-Unit group) at No.4 and 'Disco Inferno' at No.5.

2006 - Shakira
Shakira was set to become the first pop star to release a single only in the form of a mobile download. The singer's forthcoming release 'Hips Don't Lie' would not be issued in the US as a CD or as a download via the internet but would be available to phone users connected to Verizon.

2007 - Luther Ingram
US soul singer Luther Ingram died from a heart attack at the age of 69. Ingram scored the 1972 US No.2 hit '(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want to Be Right' and wrote the Staple Singers' hit 'Respect Yourself'.

2009 - The Cure
Eighties pop fan Justine Thompson was ordered to pay more than £1,040 for repeatedly playing The Cure's' Boys Don’t Cry' at full blast. Thompson aged 31, had also belted out 'Geno' by Dexy’s Midnight Runners and The Smith's 'This Charming Man' so loudly it shook flats around her home in Brighton, a court heard. City magistrates found her guilty of ignoring a noise abatement notice.

2015 - Ed Sheeran
Ed Sheeran sold the two millionth copy of his second album, X, (pronounced multiply), in the UK, nine months after it was released. He became only the fifth artist to achieve the feat this decade, following in the footsteps of Adele, Emeli Sande, Take That and Michael Bublé. 

2016 - 1975
I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It the second studio album by The 1975 went to No.1 on the US chart becoming the album with the longest title of a Billboard No.1 album with 71 characters.

2018 - Drake
Drake was at No.1 on the US singles chart with ‘God’s Plan’. The lead single from his fifth studio album, Scorpion, topped the Hot 100 for 11 weeks and spent 26 weeks in the top ten. The song broke first-day streaming records on both Apple Music and Spotify and topped the charts in fourteen countries.

Born On This Day In The Music World:

1928 - Clarence Paul
American songwriter, record producer and singer Clarence Paul best known for his career with Motown Records. He was Stevie Wonder's mentor and main producer during Wonder's teenage years and also produced early Temptations records.

1944 - Tom Constanten
American keyboardist Tom Constanten who is best known for playing with the Grateful Dead from 1968 to 1970.

1946 - Paul Atkinson
Paul Atkinson, guitarist with The Zombies who had four US hits, 'She's Not There', 'Tell Her No', 'She's Coming Home', and 'Time of the Season'. He later became an A&R executive, working for Columbia and RCA, discovering and signing such bands as ABBA, Bruce Hornsby, Mr. Mister, Judas Priest, and Michael Penn. Atkinson died on 1st April 2004 aged 58.

1946 - Ruth Pointer
Ruth Pointer with American R&B singing group The Pointer Sisters who had the 1981 US No.2 single, 'Slow Hand' and the 1984 UK No.2 single 'Automatic'. The Pointer Sisters have won three Grammy Awards and had 13 US top 20 hits between 1973 and 1985.

1952 - Derek Longmuir
Derek Longmuir, Scottish drummer and a founding member of the 1970s pop group, Bay City Rollers who had the 1975 UK No.1 single 'Bye Bye Baby' plus 11 other UK Top 20 singles' and the 1976 US No.1 single 'Saturday Night'.

1953 - Ricky Wilson
Ricky Wilson, guitarist, with the American new wave band The B-52's. Best known for their 1978 debut single 'Rock Lobster and the 1990 UK No.2 & US No.3 single 'Love Shack'. Wilson died on October 12th 1985 aged 32.

1953 - Billy Sheehan
Billy Sheehan, bass guitarist, with American hard rock supergroup Mr. Big, who had the 1992 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'To Be With You'. Also worked with Steve Vai and David Lee Roth.

1955 - Bruce Willis
American actor, producer, and singer Bruce Willis who scored the 1987 hit single with his versions of 'Under The Boardwalk' and 'Respect Yourself,' (a duet with June Pointer), both of which were taken from his debut album The Return of Bruno.

1959 - Terry Hall
Terry Hall, English musician and the lead singer of The Specials, and formerly of Fun Boy Three. The Specials, had the 1981 UK No.1 single 'Ghost Town' and with Fun Boy Three had the 1982 UK No.4 single 'It Ain't What You Do It's The Way That You Do It' with Bananarama. Hall was also a member of Colour Field who had the 1985 UK No.12 single 'Thinking Of You'.

1959 - Anthony Marinelli
American pianist, musician, composer Anthony Marinelli who performed on the synthesizer for albums including Michael's Thriller and has also worked with Lionel Richie, Kenny Loggins, Herb Alpert, Supertramp, The Crystal Method, Billy Childs and James Brown Marinelli has also scored many film soundtracks.

1971 - Jack Bessant
Jack Bessant, bassist with English band Reef who had the 1996 UK No. 6 single ‘Place Your Hands’ and the 1997 UK No.1 album ‘Glow'.

Until tomorrow (hopefully), take care and stay safe. 
MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In History Of Music for this Saturday. 

1960 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley started his first recordings since being discharged from the US Army. A 12 hour session in a Nashville recording studio produced his next No.1 single, ‘Stuck On You’. Scotty Moore and Bill Black, who had quit Presley's touring band in 1957, were in the studio with him for the last time.
(Side note: There was a problem trying to post this yesterday. This is yesterday's post)

1961 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Surrender', his fifth No.1 of the 60s. It also made No.1 in the UK. The song was based on the 1911 Italian song, 'Return To Sorrento.'

1964 - The Temptations
The Temptations released their debut album Meet the Temptations on the Gordy (Motown) label. The lineup on the cover features Eddie Kendricks, Melvin Franklin, Paul Williams, Otis Williams, and newest Temptation Davis (later David) Ruffin. Ruffin had just joined the act three months before this album was released, and actually only appears on 'The Way You Do The Things You Do'.

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles appeared live on the UK television program Ready Steady Go!, miming to ‘It Won't Be Long’, ‘You Can't Do That’, and ‘Can't Buy Me Love’. They were also presented with a special award from US magazine Billboard, in recognition of The Beatle shaving the top three singles on the chart simultaneously.

1965 - Stevie Wonder
The first of a twice-nightly UK package tour kicked of at London's Finsbury Park Astoria featuring Stevie Wonder, The Miracles, Martha and the Vandellas, The Supremes and The Temptations.

1968 - Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Legend Of Xanadu', the group's only UK No.1.

1968 - Eric Clapton
Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Richie Furay, and Jim Messina, were arrested in Los Angeles for 'being at a place where it was suspected marijuana was being used.' Clapton was later found innocent, the others paid small fines.

1969 - John Lennon
John Lennon married Yoko Ono in Gibraltar. They spent their honeymoon in Amsterdam campaigning for an international 'Bed-In' for peace. They planned another 'Bed-in' in the United States, but were denied entry. The couple then went to Montreal, and during a 'Bed-in' at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel recorded ‘Give Peace a Chance’. Lennon also detailed this period in The Beatles ‘The Ballad of John and Yoko’, recorded by Lennon and McCartney on April 14, 1969.

1970 - David Bowie
David Bowie and Angela Bowie were married at Beckenham Registry Office, London. The couple had one child, film director Duncan Jones. They divorced in 1980.

1971 - The Rolling Stones
At their own expense The Rolling Stones placed full page advertisements in all the UK's music papers disclaiming any connection with the release of the Decca album Stone Age, saying 'in our opinion the content is below the standard we try to keep.'

1971 - Janis Joplin
Janis Joplin started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with her version of the Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster song 'Me And Bobby McGee.' Joplin, who was a lover and a friend of Kristofferson's from the beginning of her career to her death, changed the sex and a few of the lyrics in her cover. Kristofferson states he did not write this song for her, but the song is associated with her - especially, he has said, in the line 'Somewhere near Salinas, Lord, I let her slip away.' Joplin died of a drug overdose the year before on 4th October, aged 27.

1973 - Slade
Slade were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Com On Feel The Noize', the group's fourth UK No.1.

1976 - Status Quo
Status Quo started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK chart with their third No.1 album Blue For You. The bands record label set up a deal with Levi Jeans, advertising in over 6,000 clothes shops to help promote the album.

1977 - Lou Reed
Lou Reed was banned from appearing The London Palladium in England because of his punk image.

1977 - T Rex
T Rex played their final ever gig when they appeared at The Locarno in Portsmouth, England.

1980 - Jackson Browne
28 year- old Joseph Riviera held up the Asylum Records office in New York and demanded to see either Jackson Browne or the Eagles. Riviera wanted to talk to them to see if they would finance his trucking operation. He gave him-self up when told that neither act was in the office at the time.

1982 - Joan Jett
Joan Jett And The Blackhearts started a seven week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Love Rock 'n' Roll', a No.4 hit in the UK. The song had been a B-side from 60s bands The Arrows.

1990 - Gloria Estefan
Gloria Estefan's tour bus was rammed by a tractor-trailer on the way to a concert. Emilio Estefan and their son Nayib were injured; Gloria suffered a serious back injury, which required an operation two days later.

1991 - Eric Clapton
Eric Clapton's four year old son, Conor, fell to his death from the 53rd story of a New York City apartment after a housekeeper who was cleaning the room left a window open. The boy was in the custody of his mother, Italian actress, Lori Del Santo and the pair were visiting a friend's apartment. Clapton was staying in a nearby hotel after taking his son to the circus the previous evening. The tragedy inspired his song ‘Tears in Heaven’.

1991 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson signed a $1 billion (£0.6 billion) contract with Sony, the richest deal in recording history.

1993 - Shaggy
Shaggy was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Oh Carolina', the Jamaican singer's first of four UK No.1's.

1997 - Mark Morrison
UK police were investigating singer Mark Morrison after they discovered he had sent a friend to carry out his community service, a sentence he was given after being involved in a fight.

2001 - S Club 7
Jon, Paul and Bradley from pop group S Club 7 were apprehended by police as they walked through Covent Garden, London, openly smoking a marijuana joint. They were taken to Charring Cross police station where they were held for four hours.

2002 - Robbie Williams
The Daily Mail newspaper reported that Robbie Williams had become a priest. He was ordained via the Internet by the non-denominational Universal Ministries and officiated the wedding of Billy Morrison from rock band The Cult and Jennifer Holliday.

2015 - A. J. Pero
American drummer A. J. Pero died from an apparent heart attack. He was a member of Twisted Sister and Adrenaline Mob. Adrenaline Mob's band members attempted but failed to wake Pero on their tour bus traveling from Baltimore to Poughkeepsie.

2017 - Ed Sheeran
Ed Sheeran was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Shape of You'. The song peaked at No.1 on the singles charts of 34 countries, including the US Billboard Hot 100. In December 2018, the song became the first song to hit 2 billion streams and the most streamed song on Spotify. 'Shape of You' also won the Grammy Award for Best Pop Solo Performance at the 60th Annual Grammy Awards.

2020 - Kenny Rogers
Kenny Rogers, singer-songwriter, record producer, actor, and entrepreneur died age 81. He charted more than 120 hit singles across various music genres, topping the country and pop album charts for more than 200 individual weeks in the US alone. He was voted the "Favorite Singer of All-Time" in a 1986 joint poll by readers of both USA Today and People.

Born On This Day In The Music World:

1917 - Vera Lynn
Vera Lynn, English singer, songwriter and actress whose musical recordings and performances were enormously popular during the Second World War. In 2009 she became the oldest living artist to make it to No. 1 on the British album chart, at the age of 92. Lynn died on 18 June 2020 age 103 at her home in East Sussex, England.

1935 - Sam Lay
American drummer and vocalist Sam Lay. He began recording and performing with prominent blues musicians, including Willie Dixon, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Junior Wells, Bo Diddley, Earl Hooker and Muddy Waters. In the mid-1960s, Lay joined the Paul Butterfield Blues Band. Bob Dylan used Lay as his drummer when he introduced electric rock at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965. Lay also recorded with Dylan, notably on the album Highway 61 Revisited.

1936 - Lee 'Scratch' Perry
Lee 'Scratch' Perry (born Rainford Hugh Perry), musician and producer who has been influential in the development and acceptance of reggae and dub music in Jamaica and overseas. He employs numerous pseudonyms, including Pipecock Jackxon and The Upsetter.

1937 - Jerry Reed
Jerry Reed, US country guitarist who worked with Chet Atkins, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and Elvis Presley. His signature songs included 'Guitar Man,', 'East Bound and Down' (the theme song for the 1977 blockbuster Smokey and the Bandit, and 'She Got the Goldmine (I Got the Shaft)'. Reed died on 1 Sept 2008.

1940 - Glenn Schwartz
American guitarist Glenn Schwartz, the original guitar player of the James Gang. He later joined the Los Angeles based blues band Pacific Gas & Electric and in 1970, scored a national top 20 hit with the song ‘Are You Ready?’ Schwartz died on November 2, 2018, at the age of 78.

1951 - Carl Palmer
English drummer and percussionist Carl Palmer who was a member of Atomic Rooster, (1971 UK No.4 single 'The Devil's Answer'). Emerson Lake and Palmer, (1977 UK No.2 single 'Fanfare For The Common Man'). Asia, (1982 US No.4 single 'Heat Of The Moment').

1951 - Jimmie Vaughan
American blues rock guitarist and singer Jimmie Vaughan who was a member of the Fabulous Thunderbirds. He is the older brother of the late guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan The Fabulous Thunderbirds had two hit songs of the 1980s, 'Tuff Enuff' and 'Wrap It Up.'

1956 - Fonso Martin
Fonso Martin, from roots reggae group Steel Pulse who had the 1978 UK hit single 'Prodigal Son'. Steel Pulse were the first non-Jamaican act to win the Grammy Award for Best Reggae Album.

1959 - Ian Rossiter
Ian Rossiter, drummer with British hip hop/electronic dance group Stereo MCs who had the 1992 UK No.12 single 'Step It Up'.

1959 - Richard Drummie
Richard Drummie from Go West who had the 1985 UK No.5 single 'We Close Our Eyes' and hits with 'Call Me' and 'King of Wishful Thinking'. Go West were named Best British Newcomer at the 1986 Brit Awards.

1961 - Slim Jim Phantom
Slim Jim Phantom, (James McDonnell), drummer with The Stray Cats who spearheaded the neo-rockabilly movement of the early 1980s. They scored the 1980 UK No.9 single 'Runaway Boys', and the 1983 US No.3 single 'Stray Cat Strut'. He has also worked with Dead Men Walking with Kirk Brandon, Mike Peters and Captain Sensible.

1967 - David Shuttleworth
David Shuttleworth, drummer with English rock band Terrorvision who had the 1999 UK No.2 single 'Tequila'. Terrorvision were originally known as The Spoilt Bratz.

1968 - Fredrik Schonfeldt
Fredrik Schonfeldt, with alternative Swedish rock band The Wannadies who had the 1996 UK No. 18 single, 'You And Me Song'.

1972 - Alex Kapranos
Alex Kapranos, singer with Scottish indie rock band Franz Ferdinand, who were the winners of the 2004 Mercury Music Prize for their self-titled debut album.

1972 - Shelly Poole
Shelly Poole, singer, songwriter, Alisha's Attic who had the 1996 UK No.14 'I Am I Feel'. Now a solo artist, who released the 2006 album Hard Time For The Dreamer. Poole is the daughter of 60s musician Brian Poole.

1976 - Chester Bennington
Chester Bennington American singer, songwriter with Linkin Park who had the 2002 US No.2 & UK No.4 single 'In The End', and the 2002 US No.2 & 2001 UK No.4 album Hybrid Theory. He was also lead vocalist for Dead by Sunrise, Grey Daze, and Stone Temple Pilots. Bennington died of an apparent suicide by hanging at his home in Palos Verdes Estates, California on July 20, 2017.

Hopefully we will find out something new again tomorrow. 

P.S. For those who read this post, I thank you for your interest. And just for kicks, if you would like to see this post done in your favorite color, then just make a request. Just wanting to try something a little different. Take care and stay safe. 
MOHLovesAlaska

I'm sorry for the late post for this Sunday. But here is what happened "This Day In History Of Music".

1956 - Elvis Presley appeared at the 4,000 seated YMCA Gymnasium in Lexington, North Carolina. Also on the bill, Mother Maybelle and the Carter Sisters, featuring June Carter, Rod Brasfield, Hal, and Ginger. Tickets cost $1 for general admission and $1.50 for reserved seats. 1961 - The Beatles played their first-ever evening show at The Cavern Club in Liverpool, supporting The Swinging Bluegenes, (later to become The Swinging Blue Jeans). 1964 - The Beatles After 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' had held the No.1 position on the US singles chart for seven weeks, The Beatles started a two-week run at No.1 with 'She Loves You. 1971 - Led Zeppelin appeared at the Boat Club, Nottingham, England on their 'Back To The Clubs' tour. This was the first tour that saw Zeppelin performing "Stairway To Heaven". 'Black Dog' and 'Going To California'. Zeppelin opened the set with 'Immigrant Song' and 'Heartbreaker'. This small club on the banks of the River Trent had also seen performances by Elton John, Black Sabbath, Sex Pistols, and Rod Stewart. 1973 - David Cassidy The BBC banned all teenybopper acts appearing on the UK TV show, Top Of The Pops, after a riot following a David Cassidy performance. 1976 - Iggy Pop After a David Bowie concert at the Community War Memorial arena in Rochester, New York, Iggy Pop, and David Bowie were involved in a drug bust at their hotel room where the police found 182 grams (a little over 6.4 ounces) of marijuana. The pair spent the rest of the night in the Monroe County Jail and were released at about 7 a.m. on $2,000 bond each. 1980 - Hugh Cornwell of The Stranglers was sent to Pentonville Prison after losing his appeal against a drug conviction. 1981 - REO Speedwagon REO Speedwagon went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Keep On Loving You, the group's first top 40 hit and first No.1, a No.7 hit in the UK. 1984 - Yoko Ono Strawberry Fields, an area in Central Park bought by Yoko Ono in memory of her late husband was opened. 1987 - U2 scored their third UK No.1 album with The Joshua Tree featuring the singles 'Where The Streets Have No Name', & 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'. The album became the fastest-selling in UK history and the first album to sell over a million CDs, spending a total of 156 weeks on the UK chart. Also a US No.1. 1991 - Leo Fender, the inventor of The Telecaster and Stratocaster guitars died from Parkinson's disease. He started mass producing solid body electric guitars in the late 40s and when he sold his guitar company in 1965, sales were in excess of $40 million a year. 1994 - Bruce Springsteen won an Oscar for the song 'Streets of Philadelphia'. 1997 - Snoop Doggy Dog was sentenced to three years probation and fined $1,000 (£588) for a firearms violation after a handgun was found in his car when he was stopped for a traffic violation. 1998 - Jason Nevins Run-DMC VS Jason Nevins started a six-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'It's Like That.' The Run-DMC track was from 1983 and was remixed by Jason Nevins, a US DJ, and producer. 1999 - Blur Blur went to No.1 on the UK album chart with '13', the band's fourth consecutive No.1 and making them only the third act to have four No.1's in the 90s, Simply Red and REM being the other two. 2000 - Kurt Cobain and Happy Monday's singer Shaun Ryder both beat older stars such as Keith Richards, and Keith Moon in a league of rock 'n' roll excess compiled by UK music weekly Melody Maker. Liam Gallagher, Robbie Williams, Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson all featured in the Top 10. 2001 - Eminem was ordered to pay $476,000 (£280,000) as part of his divorce agreement with his ex-wife Kim. Also as part of the agreement, Eminem would keep the US mansion and they would share custody of their five-year-old daughter, Hailie Jade. 2001 - Michael Jackson interior decorator told The Times newspaper that the singer kept 17 life-size dolls, adult and child sizes, all fully dressed in his bedroom for 'company.' 2004 - Ozzy Osbourne was named the nation's favorite ambassador to welcome aliens to planet earth. The 55-year-old singer came top of a poll as the face people want to represent them to alien life. The poll of internet users was carried out following the discovery of signs of water on Mars. Ozzy won 26 percent of the vote. A spokesman for Yahoo! News said: 'As the world waits desperately for signs of alien life, we decided to ask our users who they thought was best suited for this most auspicious of roles. Ozzy is a great choice but I'm not sure what the Martians would make of his individual approach to the English language.' 2006 - Solomon Linda Three South African women whose father, Solomon Linda, wrote ‘The Lion Sleeps Tonight’ in 1939, won a six-year court battle that gave them 25 percent of all past and future royalties from the song. Linda who was a cleaner at a Johannesburg record company when he wrote the song, received virtually nothing for his work and died in 1962 with $25 in his bank account. The song had been recorded by Pete Seeger (as ‘Wimoweh’), The Kingston Trio, The Tokens, Karl Denver, and R.E.M. and was featured in the Disney film The Lion King. It was estimated that the song had earned $15 million for its use in The Lion King alone. 2008 - The Beach Boys A five-year legal row over the use of The Beach Boys' name was settled by two former members of the group. Mike Love had argued he was the only person allowed to perform under the name of the band and sued Al Jardine, whom he claimed was appearing as an unlicensed Beach Boys act. Mr. Jardine's lawyer said "a friendly settlement" had been reached that allowed them to focus on the talent and future of this American iconic band.’ 2013 - Pink Floyd The Dark Side Of The Moon was set to seal its place in history at the US Library of Congress as part of its National Recording Registry. The recording that received the highest number of public nominations for this year's registry was Dark Side, Floyd's groundbreaking 1973 album. 2015 - Jackie Trent English singer-songwriter and actress Jackie Trent died in hospital, aged 74, in Minorca, Spain, after a long illness. Her 1966 hit, 'I Couldn't Live Without Your Love' was inspired by the ongoing affair between Trent and record producer Tony Hatch, who she later married. The couple went on to write songs for Scott Walker, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Wilson, Des O'Connor, Val Doonican, Shirley Bassey, Vikki Carr, and Dean Martin. 2016 - The Beatles A rare Beatles record found in the loft of Les Maguire - the keyboardist in fellow Liverpool act, Gerry and the Pacemakers sold for £77,500 at auction. The 10-inch acetate of 'Till There Was You' and 'Hello Little Girl from 1962 was described as a Holy Grail item'. It was the first Beatles disc to be cut before the band broke into the national charts.

Born On This Day In The Music World. 1940 - Solomon Burke American preacher and singer Solomon Burke, known as the king of rock & soul. He had the 1961 US No.24 single 'Just Out Of Reach Of My Open Arms', and the 1963 US No.1 R&B hit, 'Got To Get You Off My Mind'. Burke died on October 10, 2010, at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport while on a plane from Washington Dulles Airport that had just landed. 1940 - Chip Taylor, an American songwriter, noted for writing ‘Angel of the Morning’ and ‘Wild Thing’ a major hit for The Troggs in 1966. His songs have been covered by a wide range of artists, from Janis Joplin, Anne Murray, Ace Frehley, Jimi Hendrix, Chrissie Hynde, Linda Ronstadt, and Emmylou Harris. 1941 - John Boylan, American producer, and songwriter. Worked with Rick Nelson, the Association, the Dillards. He also managed Linda Ronstadt and introduced her to a then-unknown group of musicians who went on to become her backing band in 1971 and later became the Eagles. 1943 - Viv Stanshall English singer-songwriter, musician, author, poet, and wit, Vivian Stanshall a founding member of Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band who had the 1968 UK No.5 single 'I'm The Urban Spaceman'. He was Master of Ceremonies on Mike Oldfield's album Tubular Bells. Stanshall died on March 5th, 1995 after an electrical fire had broken out as he slept in his top floor flat in Muswell Hill, North London. 1945 - Rosemary Stone, vocals, piano, Sly and The Family Stone, who had the 1968 US No.1 singles 'Everyday People', the 1971 US No.1 'Family Affair', and the 1971 US No.1 album There's a Riot Goin' On. 1946 - Ray Dorset English guitarist, singer, songwriter, Ray Dorset, founder of Mungo Jerry, who had the 1970 UK No.1 & US No.3 single 'In The Summertime' as well as the hits 'Baby Jump' and 'Lady Rose'. 1949 - Eddie Money American singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist Eddie Money, who is well known for the 1970s and 1980s songs like 'Baby Hold On, 'Two Tickets To Paradise', 'Maybe I'm A Fool'. Money died of cancer on 13 September 2019 age 70. 1950 - Roger Hodgson English musician, singer, and songwriter Roger Hodgson, known as the former co-frontman with Supertramp. He composed and sang the majority of their hits such as 'Dreamer', 'Give a Little Bit', 'Breakfast in America', 'Take the Long Way Home, 'The Logical Song', and 'It's Raining Again'. 1951 - Conrad Lozano American musician Conrad Lozano, bass player for Los Lobos (Spanish for "the Wolves"), who had the 1987 UK & US No.1 single their cover version of 'La Bamba', which was a 1958 hit for Ritchie Valens and one of early rock and roll's best-known songs. 1951 - Russell Thompkins Jr, singer with the Philadelphia soul group The Stylistics who had the 1974 US No.2 single 'You Make Me Feel Brand New', and the 1975 UK No.1 single 'Can't Give You Anything But My Love' and twelve consecutive US R&B top ten hits. 1953 - Robert Johnson, singer with American disco and funk group KC and the Sunshine Band who had the 1975 US No.1 single 'That's The Way, I Like It', and the 1983 UK No.1 single 'Give It Up'. 1956 - Guy Chadwick English singer, songwriter, and guitarist Guy Chadwick from House Of Love, who rose to prominence in 1987 with their first single 'Shine On' released on the independent label Creation. 1958 - Jonathan Norton, drummer/percussionist/vocalist worked with Eels, Lisa Germano, Tracy Chapman, Rufus Wainwright, Fiona Apple, Michael Penn, Aimee Mann, and Lucinda Williams. 1967 - Jonas Berggren, guitar, keyboards with Swedish pop group Ace Of Base who had the 1993 UK No.1 single 'All That She Wants' and the 1994 US No.1 single 'The Sign'. The group sold more than 30 million albums worldwide, making it the third-most successful Swedish band of all time, after ABBA and Roxette. 1967 - Keith Palmer, singer with English electronic dance music group The Prodigy who scored the 1996 UK No.1 & US No. 30 single 'Firestarter' and the 1997 UK & US No.1 album 'The Fat Of The Land'. 1967 - Sean Dickson, from The Soup Dragons, had the 1990 UK No.5 single 'I'm Free. The Scottish alternative rock band of the late 1980s and early 1990s was named after a character in the 1970s children's television show Clangers. 1977 - Mark Hamilton Irish musician Mark Hamilton from Northern Irish alternative rock band Ash scored the 1995 UK No.11 single 'Girl From Mars' and the 1996 UK No.1 album 1977. 1980 - Deryck Whibley Canadian musician Deryck 'Bizzy D' Whibley, guitar, vocals with Sum 41. Their 2001 album All Killer No Filler achieved mainstream success with their first single from the album, 'Fat Lip', reaching No.1 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart. Whibley dated Hilton Hotels heiress Paris Hilton in 2003 and married singer Avril Lavigne in 2006. 1989 - Rochelle Humes, best known for being a member of the girl group The Saturdays who scored the 2013 UK No.1 hit single 'What About Us' featuring Sean Paul.

Hopefully, we can do this again tomorrow, maybe even a little earlier. Take care and stay safe

MOHLovesAlaska

Listener001
Not applicable

The Ramones

Listener001
Not applicable

neon green is my favorite color but i'm not sure if that would be hard for peeps to read

AlyM
Local Performer

I love all the artist you've mentioned 

@AlyM  thank you for taking the time to read, and for your reply. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska