cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

Lbceeno
Opening Act

I am a striving artist from longbeach California 

Lbceeno

@Lbceeno great to meet you, if you have some music that you would like posted on the GSOTD (Genre Songs Of The Day) post and playlist then please feel free to request your music on the GSOTD post. I hope to see your reply. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Lbceeno
Opening Act

Can you place my music on GSOTD playlist?

@Lbceeno absolutely I can, all you need to do is just let me know the name of the artist or the songs. I will add as many as you want. I normally add 5 songs per day, but no worries if you have more than that I can carry them over the next day. There is a Smooth Jazz artist named Phil Klein  @philmobet. I have been adding two of his songs per day (posting) until everyone has been added to the GSOTD post and playlist. I can do the same for you if you would like? Just reply back. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Monday afternoon to all. I hope you had a great weekend, and it is my hope you will have a great week as well. This Day In The History Of Music for today. 

1952: "3 Wishes after Jamie" closes at Mark Hellinger NYC after 94 performances.

1963: The Rolling Stones released their debut single, 'Come On'. Recorded the previous month, the track was originally written and released by Chuck Berry in 1961. The B-side was also a cover version, Willie Dixon’s 'I Want to Be Loved'. The single reached No.21 in the UK chart.

1964: Beatles travel canals of Amsterdam.

1964: During their first-ever US tour The Rolling Stones were booed off stage at a gig in San Antonio, Texas. Some performing Monkeys who had been the act on before the Stones were brought back on stage for another performance.

1964: During a world tour, The Beatles flew from Amsterdam to Hong Kong. When the plane stopped to refuel in Beirut, police turned firefighting foam on hundreds of fans who had invaded the runway at the airport.

1969: The Who's fourth album, 'Tommy' album entered the UK chart, peaking at No.2. One of two full-scale rock operas from The Who (the other being the 1973 'Quadrophenia'). The double album tells a loose story about a "deaf, dumb and blind boy" who becomes the leader of a messianic movement, Tommy was the first musical work to be billed overtly as a rock opera.

1969: British supergroup Blind Faith, featuring Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, Rick Grech, and Steve Winwood made their live debut at a free concert in London's Hyde Park. Their only album release provoked controversy because the cover featured a topless pubescent girl, holding a silver space ship which some perceived as a phallic symbol. The US record company issued it with an alternative cover that showed a photograph of the band on the front. Rumors about the girl's relationship to the band fuelled the controversy; among them were that she was a groupie kept as a slave by the band members.

1969: Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, and Joni Mitchell both appeared on the first ABC TV Johnny Cash Show from Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. Dylan sang I Threw It All Away and Living The Blues and duetted with Johnny Cash on Girl From The North Country.

1969: Tommy James and the Shondells released "Crystal Blue Persuasion".

1970: The Who's "Tommy" is performed at NY's Lincoln Center.

1972: Musical "Grease" opens at Broadhurst Theater NYC for 3,388 performances.

1975: "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" by John Denver hits #1.

1975: Elton John's ninth studio album 'Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboys', went to No.1 on the US album chart, the first album ever to enter the US chart at No.1. (where it stayed for seven weeks). Captain Fantastic' is a concept album that gives an autobiographical glimpse at the struggles John (Captain Fantastic) and Taupin (the Brown Dirt Cowboy) had in the early years of their musical careers in London.

1977: Led Zeppelin played the first of six sold-out nights in New York City during their 11th and final North American tour. Playing a 3-hour set, tickets cost $8.50 - $10.50.

1977: The Sex Pistols held a party on a boat as it sailed down The River Thames in London. The Pistols performed 'Anarchy In The UK' outside The Houses Of Parliament resulting in members from the party being arrested when the boat docked later that day.

1979: Rock 'n' roll musician Chuck Berry is charged with tax evasion.

1980: "Billy Bishop Goes to War" closes at Morosco NYC after 12 performances.

1980: "Cars" by Gary Numan hits #9. 1982: 16th Music City News Country Awards: Barbara Mandrell.

1986: Madonna's: single "Live to Tell" goes #1.

1987: 41st Tony Awards: Fences & Les Miserables win.

1987: David Bowie played a concert in West Berlin in front of the Reichstag with the speakers pointing towards the nearby Berlin Wall where thousands of young East Berliners stood and listened.

1990: Michael Jackson: hospitalized for chest pains.

1992: "Small Family Business" closes at Music Box Theater NYC after 48 performances.

1993: 27th Music City News Country Awards: Alan Jackson & Vince Gill.

1993: Singer Prince celebrates his birthday by changing his name to a symbol.

1995: Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood was admitted to the hospital after his ear was leaking blood. The problem was diagnosed as his arm movement from continuous guitar playing.

1997: Hanson started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'MMMbop'. Originally called The Hanson Brothers, lead singer Zak Hanson was just 13-years-old at the time of the hit. One of the biggest debut singles of all time; reaching No.1 in 27 countries.

1997: Patti Smith, Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher played a five-song set at the Tibet Freedom Concert, in New York City. U2, Patti Smith, and Radiohead also appeared at the concert.

1998: Songwriter Wally Gold died in a New Jersey hospital aged 70. Wrote 'It's My Party' hit for Lesley Gore and 'It's Now or Never', hit for Elvis Presley. Member of late 50s group The Four Esquires produced Kansas & Gene Pitney.

2002: Virgin Records announced they had dropped Victoria Beckham after her debut solo album, which cost over £3 million ($5.1 million) to make, had sold only 50,000 copies.

2004: "Live Like You Were Dying" single released by Tim McGraw (Grammy Award Best Country Song, 2004; Billboard Song of the Year, 2004).

2007: The funeral of guitarist, singer Bo Diddley took place in Gainesville, Florida. Many in attendance chanted "Hey Bo Diddley" shortly after family members had passed by his coffin as a gospel band played Bo Diddley's music. At the service, they presented a floral tribute in form of his trademark square guitar.

2009: 63rd Tony Awards: "Billy Elliot the Musical" and "God of Carnage" win.

2010: Former Stereophonics drummer and BBC Radio Wales presenter Stuart Cable, was found dead at his home near Aberdare in Wales aged 40. His new band Killing for Company had been due to appear at the Download rock festival at Donington Park in a few day's time. Cable had also been presenting a Rock show on BBC Radio Wales.

2010: Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh was granted a restraining order against an elderly neighbor who allegedly threatened to kill him. The man was also ordered to pay more than $1,500 in legal fees.

2012: Bob Welch an early member of Fleetwood Mac who enjoyed a successful solo career with hits such as 'Ebony Eyes,' was found dead after an apparent suicide at home in Nashville. He was 66. Police said Welch's body was found by his wife Wendy with a single gunshot wound to the chest, and he had left a suicide note. Welch was part of Fleetwood Mac in their early years from 1971 to 1974 and worked on such albums as Future Games and Bare Trees.

2015: Sir Elton John lost his cool during a performance in England after he likened a steward to Hitler as she tried to stop crowds from surging forward during a gig. In an expletive-laden rant, John went on to say it was "not China" and he picked out a female steward, telling her: "You put a uniform on and you think you're Hitler - well you're not."

Born On This Day In The Music World:

1730: Georg von Pasterwiz, Austrian composer, born in Passau, Germany (d. 1803).

1833: Alexander Ritter, German composer, born in Narva, Estonia (d. 1896).

1845: Leopold von Auer, Hungarian-American violinist, born in Veszprém, Hungary (d. 1930).

1846: Władysław Górski, Polish violinist, composer, and teacher, born in Warsaw, Poland (d. 1915).

1867: Luigi Maurizio Tedeschi, Italian composer, born in Turin, Italy (d. 1944).

1873: Landon Ronald, British composer, pianist, and teacher (Guildhall School of Music), born in Kensington, London (d. 1938).

1874: Theodor Streicher, Austrian composer, born in Vienna, Austria (d. 1940).

1885: Percy Brier, Australian composer, born in North Pine, Queensland (d. 1970).

1891: Athos Palma, Argentine composer, born in Buenos Aires (d. 1951).

1897: George Szell, Hungarian-born American conductor (Cleveland Orchestra, 1946-70), born in Budapest, Hungary (d. 1970).

1908: Boris Goldovsky, Russian-American conductor, educator (Tangle wood, 1942-62), and opera broadcast commentator (Metropolitan Opera, 1946-85), born in Moscow, Russia (d. 2001).

1911: Franz Reizenstein, German-British pianist, composer (Concerto Popolare), and educator, born in Nuremberg, Germany (d. 1968).

1911: Silas Roy Crain, American gospel singer (founder of The Soul Stirrers Gospel Quartet), born in Augustine, Texas (d. 1996).

1917: Dean Martin American singer, actor, comedian, and film producer, nicknamed the "King Of Cool". He was a member of the Rat Pack and the host of the television variety program The Dean Martin Show (1965–1974) and The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast (1974–1985). Hits include t 1956 UK & US No.1 single 'Memories Are Made Of This' and 'Everybody Loves Somebody'. He died on December 25th, 1995.

1921: Tal Farlow, American jazz guitarist, born in Greensboro, North Carolina (d. 1998).

1922: Hubert Du Plessis, South African pianist, and composer, born in Malmesbury, Cape Province, Union of South Africa (d. 2011).

1922: Beryl Booker, American swing and cool jazz pianist (Dinah Washington), born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (d. 1978).

1924: Dolores Gray [Sylvia Dolores Finkelstein], American singer and actress (Designing Woman, Kismet), born in Chicago, Illinois (d. 2002).

1926: **ahem** Williams, an American singer and choral director (Andy Williams Show), born in Wall Lake, Iowa (d. 2018).

1928: Charles Strouse, American composer (Bye Bye Birdie; Annie), born in NYC, New York.

1928: Anthony Ortega, American session and jazz clarinetist, saxophonist, and flutist ( A Man and His Horns), born in Los Angeles, California.

1931: (Nii Moi) "Speedy" Acquaye, Ghanian drummer, percussionist, and fire-eater (Tubby Hayes; Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames; Ginger Baker's Airforce), born in Accra, Gold Coast (now Ghana) (d. 1993).

1932: Tina Brooks, American blues and funk saxophonist (True Blue), born in Fayetteville, North Carolina (d. 1974).

1934: Philippe Entremont, French pianist and conductor (Vienna Chamber Orchestra, 1976-91), born in Reims, France.

1934: Samuel Lipman, American pianist and music critic, born in Los Gatos, California (d. 1994).

1937: Neeme Järvi, Estonian-American conductor (Gothenburg Symphony, 1982-2004; Detroit Symphony, 1990-2005), born in Tallinn, Estonia.

1938: Idris Sardi, Indonesian violinist, and composer noted for his film scores, born in Jakarta, Indonesia (d. 2014).

1939: Yuli Turovsky, Russian-Canadian cellist (Borodin Trio, 1976-91), conductor (I Musici de Montreal Chamber Orchestra, 1983-2011), and teacher, born in Moscow, USSR (d. 2013).

1939: Eri Klas, Estonian conductor (Netherlands Radio Symphony; Aarhus Symphony; Estonian National Opera, 1975-95), and educator, born in Tallinn, Estonia (d. 2016).

1940: Thomas Woodward, (Tom Jones), Welsh singer who has sold over 100 million records. Scored the 1965 UK No.1 and US No.10 single 'It's Not Unusual' plus over 20 other UK and US Top 40 hit singles. Jones was awarded an OBE in 1999 and received a knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II for "services to music" in 2006. From 2012 to 2015 Jones was one of the four coaches on the BBC television talent show The Voice UK.

1941: Jaime Laredo, Bolivian violinist (Queen Elisabeth of Belgium Prize, 1959), conductor (Vermont Symphony, 1999-), and educator, born in Cochabamba, Bolivia.

1941: (Cecil) Hotep Idris Galeta, South African jazz pianist, composer, and educator, born in Crawford, Cape Town, South Africa (d. 2010).

1944: Clarence White American bluegrass and country guitarist and singer, who was a member of the bluegrass ensemble the Kentucky Colonels and The Byrds. White also worked as a session musician, appearing on recordings by The Everly Brothers, Joe Cocker, Ricky Nelson, The Monkees, Randy Newman, Gene Clark, Linda Ronstadt, Arlo Guthrie, and Jackson Browne amongst others. White died on July 14th, 1973.

1944: Clarence White, American session and country-rock guitarist (The Byrds, 1968-73 - "Ballad of Easy Rider"), born in Lewiston, Maine (d. 1973).

1946: Micky Jones, Welsh rock guitarist (Man), born in Merthyr Tydfil (d. 2010).

1946: English record producer and songwriter Phil Wainman noted for his work with Sweet, XTC, Dollar, Mud, and the Bay City Rollers. His greatest chart success was the production of 'I Don't Like Mondays' the 1979 hit by The Boomtown Rats.

1949: Jack Ryland, American rock bassist (Three Dog Night, 1973-75 - "The Show Must Go On"; "Play Something Sweet") (d. 1996).

1952: Royce Campbell, touring, session, and jazz guitarist (Marvin Gaye; Henry Mancini), born in North Vernon, Indiana.

1953: Johnny Clegg, South African musician "The White Zulu", born in Bacup, Lancashire (d. 2019).

1955: Joey Scarbury, American singer-songwriter ("Theme from The Greatest American Hero (Believe It or Not)"), born in Ontario, California.

1955: Jon Balke, Norwegian jazz pianist, composer, and bandleader (Magnetic North Orchestra), born in Furnes, Norway.

1957: Juan Luis Guerra, Dominican pop and merengue singer, composer, and record producer, born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

1957: Paddy McAloon, English singer-songwriter with Prefab Sprout who had the 1988 UK No.7 single 'The King Of Rock 'N' Roll'. McAloon has written songs covered by Kylie Minogue, Jimmy Nail, The Zombies, Lisa Stansfield, and Snow Patrol.

1958: Prince Rogers Nelson, the American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and actor. He produced ten platinum albums and thirty Top 40 singles during his career including the 1984 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'When Doves Cry. His releases have sold over 80 million copies worldwide. He won seven Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe, and an Academy Award. Prince died on April 21, 2016, aged 57 after being found unresponsive, in an elevator at Paisley Park his Minnesota home.

1960: Aldo Brizzi, Italian conductor, and contemporary classical-world fusion composer, born in Alessandria, Italy.

1961: Dave Catching, American session and touring musician (Eagles of Death Metal; earthlings?), born in Memphis, Tennesee.

1962: Patrick "Paddy" McAloon, British singer-songwriter (Prefab Sprout - "When Love Breaks Down"), born in Witton Gilbert, Durham, England...

1962: American drummer Michael Cartellone the former drummer of **ahem** Yankees. He has also worked with John Fogerty, Peter Frampton, Freddie Mercury, Cher, Adrian Belew, and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

1963: Roberto Alagna, Italian-French operatic tenor, born in Clichy-sous-Bois, Seine-Saint-Denis, France.  

1963: Gordon Gano, American musician (Violent Femmes), born in Connecticut.  

1966: Eric Kretz American musician, producer, and drummer with Stone Temple Pilots. Along with lead vocalist Scott Weiland, Kretz wrote the lyrics to the Grammy Award-winning hit 'Plush' off Stone Temple Pilots 1992 debut album Core.  

1967: David Navarro an American guitarist, singer-songwriter, and actor, best known as a founding member of Jane's Addiction, (1991 UK No.34 single 'Been Caught Stealing'), and as a former member of Red Hot Chili Peppers from 1993 - 1998. (1994 UK No.9 single 'Give It Away). Also worked with Alanis Morissette on her album Jagged Little Pill and the band Deconstruction and The Panic Channel.  

1973: Nihad Hrustanbegović, Bosnian-Dutch concert and jazz accordionist, and composer, born in Bijeljina, SR Bosnia and Herzegovina, SFR Yugoslavia.  

1976: Necro [Ron Braunstein], Jewish American rapper, born in Brooklyn, New York.  

1978: Tony An, Korean singer (H.O.T).  

1985: Charlie Simpson guitar, vocals, from English pop-rock band Busted. Formed in 2000, the band had four UK No.1 singles and released two studio albums - Busted (2002) and A Present for Everyone (2003) - before disbanding in January 2005.

1990: Iggy Azalea Australian singer who scored the 2014 US No.1 single 'Fancy'.

1991: American rapper Fetty Wap, (Willie Maxwell II). His debut single 'Trap Queen', reached No.2 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart in May 2015 and his eponymous debut studio album peaked at No.1 on the US chart.

1993: English singer-songwriter George Ezra. His 2014 hit single 'Budapest' reached the top 10 in numerous countries and his debut studio album Wanted on Voyage reached No.1 in the UK and was the third best-selling album of 2014 in the UK.

Until sometime tomorrow, take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Tuesday afternoon, here is what happened This Day In The History Of Music. Have a great Tuesday.

1787: "Tarare" an opera by Antonio Salieri premieres at the Théâtre de la Porte Saint-Martin in Paris. 

1942: Bing Crosby records "Silent Night".

1946: Raymond Scott and Bernard Hanighen's musical "Lute Song", starring Mary Martin, Yul Brenner, and Nancy Davis, and directed by John Houseman, closes at Plymouth Theater, NYC, after 142 performances.

1948: Revival of Jerome Kerns' musical "Sally" closes at Martin Beck Theater, NYC, after 36 performances.  

1950: Elmar Oliveira, American violinist (Naumburg competition,  

1962: Nick Rhodes keyboards, Duran Duran who had the 1983 UK No.1 single 'Is There Something I Should Know, plus 25 other UK Top 40 singles, and the 1984 US No.1 single 'The Reflex'. Also a member of Arcadia who had the 1985 UK No.7 single 'Election Day. In March 2013, he released the TV Mania side project with ex-Duran Duran guitarist Warren Cuccurullo.  

1962: Kristine W [Weitz], American musician ranked by Billboard as the 8th Greatest Dance Artist of all-time (The Advocate), born in Pasco, Washington.

1963: "Mr. President" closes at St James Theater NYC after 265 performances.   

1963: The Crystals' 'Da Doo Ron Ron' peaked at No.3 on the US singles chart. Produced by Phil Spector, who used a multi-track recording system to build the song layer upon layer to achieve a result that becomes known as a "wall of sound". Backing musicians include Glen Campbell on guitar, Leon Russell on piano, Hal Blain on drums, and Nino Tempo on sax.  

1963: The Crystals' 'Da Doo Ron Ron' peaked at No.3 on the US singles chart. Produced by Phil Spector, who used a multi-track recording system to build the song layer upon layer to achieve a result that becomes known as a "wall of sound". Backing musicians include Glen Campbell on guitar, Leon Russell on piano, Hal Blain on drums, and Nino Tempo on sax.  

1964: "The Little Old Lady (from Pasadena)", recorded by 1960s American pop singers, Jan and Dean, is released. 

1967: Procol Harum was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' the group's only UK No.1. In 2004 the song was named the most played record of the past 70 years. More than 900 recorded versions by other artists are known.  

1967: The Beatles Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band went to No.1 in the UK. Costing £25,000 ($42,500) to produce the album was recorded over 700 hours of studio time. It was also the first album to print the lyrics on the sleeve. The album spent 27 weeks at No.1 on the UK chart.  

1968: Gary Puckett and Union Gap release "Lady Will Power".  

1968: Rolling Stones release "Jumpin' Jack Flash".  

1969: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, and Charlie Watts visited Brian Jones at his home in Cotchford Farm to discuss his future in the group. The Stones later issued a press statement saying that Brian was leaving The Rolling Stones.     

1969: Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor replaces Brian Jones.  

1970: Deep Purple had their van and equipment impounded by East German police while on a European tour, after mistakenly driving too close to the border.  

1974: Keyboardist Rick Wakeman quits rock group "Yes" (for the first time).  

1974: Bill Wyman became the first Rolling Stone to release a solo album with Monkey Grip, (it peaked at No.39 in the UK and No.99 in the US). The album featured guest appearances by, Dr. John, Leon Russell, and Lowell George.  

1974: David Bowie started a four-week run at the top of the UK charts with his third No.1 album 'Diamond Dogs'. The cover art features Bowie as a striking half-man, half-dog grotesque painted by Belgian artist Guy Peellaert. It was controversial as the full painting clearly showed the hybrid's genitalia. Very few copies of this original cover made their way into circulation at the time of the album's release.  

1974: Dolly Parton was at No.1 on the US country chart with 'I Will Always Love You. Elvis Presley indicated that he wanted to cover the song. Parton was interested until Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, told her that it was standard procedure for the songwriter to sign over half of the publishing rights to any song Elvis recorded. Parton refused. 'I Will Always Love You' later became a worldwide No.1 hit for Whitney Houston in 1992 when featured in The Bodyguard.  

1974: Paul McCartney and Wings went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Band On The Run'. 'George Harrison unwittingly contributed the first line of one part of the song: "If we ever get out of here" when he said it during one of the many Beatles' business meetings.  

1976: Tchaikovsky Competition, 1979: Wings release "Back to the Egg" album.  

1980: "It's So Nice to Be Civilized" closes at Martin Beck NYC after 8 performances.  

1981: 15th Music City News Country Awards: Mandrell Sisters win.  

1985: Tears For Fears started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World', the group's first US No.1. In 1986, the song won Best Single at the Brit Awards. Band member and co-writer Roland Orzabal argued that the song deserved to win the Ivor Novello International Hit of the Year award, claiming that the winner, '19' by Paul Hardcastle - was not an actual song, but only a "dialogue collage."  

1986: "Big Deal" closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 70 performances.  

1987: Yogi Horton a session drummer with Luther Vandross, jumped to his death from a 17th-floor hotel window, having told his wife he was tired of living in the shadow of Vandross Also worked with The B-52's, Diana Ross, and Debbie Harry.  

1987: 21st Music City News Country Awards: Randy Travis wins.  

1989: At a Greenpeace Rainbow Warrior's press conference, vegetarian Chrissie Hynde claimed that she once firebombed a McDonalds' restaurant. The following day a Mcdonalds's in Milton Keynes, England was firebombed and Hynde was threatened with legal action.  

1991: Color Me Bad had their only UK No.1 single with 'I Wanna Sex You Up'. The song was a No.2 hit in the US where some radio stations edited out the word "sex" with disc jockeys announcing the song 'I Wanna Love You Up'.  

1992: 26th Music City News Country Awards: Alan Jackson & Garth Brooks win.  

1995: "Buttons on Broadway" opens at Ambassador Theater NYC for 40 performances.  

1996: The Fugees scored their first UK No.1 single with their version of the Roberta Flack 1973 hit 'Killing Me Softly'. The song composed by Charles Fox and Norman Gimbel in 1971 was inspired by Lori Lieberman's poem 'Killing Me Softly with His Blues', written having seen a performance by US singer, songwriter Don McLean.  

1997: "Young Man From Atlanta" closes at Longacre Theater NYC after 85 performances.  

1998: Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher, Paul Weller, and Martin Carr from The Boo Radleys were all involved in a fight at Dingwalls, Camden in London.  

2002: Months of secrecy surrounding Paul McCartney's wedding plans were blown when John Leslie the owner of the 17th century Castle Leslie in Co Monaghan, let slip to reporters that Sir Paul had booked the Castle for the wedding.  

2003: Led Zeppelin was at No.1 on the US album chart with their triple live album How The West Was Won, the band's seventh US No.1 album. The performances were from the band's 1972 tour of the United States, recorded at the LA Forum on 25 June 1972 and Long Beach Arena on 27 June 1972.  

2007: Jazz legend Oscar Peterson forced to cancel his appearance at Carnegie Hall all-star performance (held in his honor), owing to illness. 

2007: George Michael was sentenced to 100 hours of community service and banned from driving for two years at Brent Magistrates court, north London. The 43-year-old who was arrested last October after being found slumped at the steering wheel of his car pleaded guilty to driving while unfit, blaming "tiredness and prescribed drugs" for the offense.  

2008: Rolling Stone magazine published a list of the Top 50 guitar songs of all time. No.5 was 'Brown Sugar' by The Rolling Stones, No.4, ‘You Really Got Me’ by The Kinks, No.3, ‘Crossroads’, by Cream, No.2 ‘Purple Haze’, by Jimi Hendrix and No.1 ‘Johnny B Goode’, Chuck Berry.  

2011: 45th CMT Music Awards: Taylor Swift, Miranda Lambert & Blake Shelton wins.  

2012: Lauryn Hill was charged with willfully failing to file income tax returns in the US. Authorities said the singer earned more than $1.6m (£1.03m) during the three years that she failed to file returns. US prosecutors said her main source of income during the period 2005 - 2007 was royalties from her music and films. According to court papers, the 37-year-old owned four corporations - Creations Music, Boogie Tours, LH Productions 2001, and Studio 22.  

2014: Audra McDonald wins a Tony for her portrayal of Billie Holiday in "Lady Day at Emerson's Bar And Grill".  

2016: Two US musicians were suing Ed Sheeran for $20m (£13.8m) over his single 'Photograph'. Martin Harrington and American Thomas Leonard claimed it had a similar structure to their song, 'Amazing'. Martin Harrington and Thomas Leonard said they penned Amazing in 2009 and in documents, that include musical note comparison and chord breakdowns of the two songs, the pair claimed the chorus of 'Photograph' shares 39 identical notes with their track.  

2020: Former Pointer Sisters singer Bonnie Pointer died from a cardiac arrest aged 69. She and her sisters rose to fame as the Grammy award-winning Pointer Sisters, who were best known for the 1984 hits 'Jump (For My Love)' and 'I’m So Excited.  

1671: Tomaso Albinoni, Italian composer (Adagio in G-minor), born in Venice, Italy (d. 1751).  

1722: Jakob Friedrich Kleinknecht, German composer, born in Ulm, Baden-Württemberg, Germany (d. 1794).  

1740: Gabriele Mario Piozzi, composer, born in Quinzano d'Oglio, Italy (d. 1809).  

1753: Nicolas-Marie Dalayrac, French composer, born in Muret, Haute-Garonne, France (d. 1809).  

1783: Joseph Lincke, German cellist and composer, born in Trachenberg, Silesia (d. 1837).  

1805: Luigi Ricci, Italian composer, born in Naples (d. 1859).  

1810: Robert Schumann, German composer (Neue Zeitschrift fuer Musik), born in Zwickau, Kingdom of Saxony (d. 1856).  

1812: Heinrich Wilhelm Ernst, Moravian violinist and composer, born in Brno (d. 1865).  

1812: Spyridon Xyndas, Greek composer, born in Corfu, Greece (d. 1896).  

1834: George Garrett, English composer, born in Winchester, England (d. 1897).  

1837: Jan Kleczyński Sr., Polish painist and composer, born in Janiewicze, Russian Empire (d. 1895).  

1856: Natalia Janotha, Polish pianist and composer, born in Warsaw, Poland (d. 1932).  

1858: Harry Rowe Shelley, American composer (known for his hymn music), born in New Haven, Connecticut (d. 1947).  

1858: Antoni Nicolau, Spanish composer, and conductor, born in Barcelona (d. 1933).  

1881: Prospero Bisquertt, Chilean composer, born in Santiago, Chile (d. 1959).  

1888: Poul Schierbeck, Danish organist and composer, born in Copenhagen (d. 1949).  

1894: Erwin Schulhoff, Czech-Russian composer and pianist (Ogelala) who died in a German concentration camp, born in Prague, Bohemia, Austria-Hungary (d. 1942).  

1913: Jagamas János, Hungarian composer, born in Dés, Romania (d. 1997).  

1921: Alexis Smith, Canadian actress and singer (The Age of Innocence, Follies), born in Penticton, British Columbia, Canada (d. 1993)  

1923: Karel Goeyvaerts, Flemish composer (Summer Games), born in Antwerp, Belgium (d. 1993).  

1924: Sheldon Allman, American-Canadian actor, singer, and songwriter (Nevada Smith, Harris Against the World), born in Chicago, Illinois (d. 2002).  

1926: Anatol Vieru, Romanian-Jewish composer, born in Iasi, Romania (d. 1998).  

1930: Yannis Ioannidis, a Greek composer, born in Athens, Greece.  

1932: Hans G. Helms, German writer, and composer, born in Teterow, Germany (d. 2012).  

1939: William "Bill" Watrous, American jazz trombonist, born in Middletown, Connecticut (d. 2018).  

1940: American singer and actress Nancy Sinatra scored the 1966 UK & US No.1 single 'These Boots Are Made For Walking. With her father Frank, she became the first father and daughter team ever to score a UK No.1 single with the 1967 hit 'Somethin' Stupid'. She also had several collaborations with Lee Hazlewood such as 'Jackson', and her cover of Cher's 'Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)'.  

1940: Sherman Garnes, singer with American-Puerto Rican doo-wop group Frankie Lymon And The Teenagers, who had the 1956 UK No.1 & US No.6 single 'Why Do Fools Fall In Love'. They are also noted for being rock's first all-teenaged act. Garnes died on February 26th, 1977.  

1941: Clarence "Fuzzy" Haskins, American pop singer (Funkadelic - "Knee Deep"), born in Elkins, West Virginia.  

1942: Chuck Negron, American singer-songwriter (Three Dog Night - "Joy to the World"; "One"; "Old Fashioned Love Song"), born in The Bronx, New York.  

1944: American singer, songwriter, and guitarist Boz Scaggs, who was a member of The Marksmen with Steve Miller, The Wigs, and as a solo artist had the 1976 US No.3 single 'Lowdown', and the 1977 US No.11 and UK No.13 single 'Lido Shuffle'.  

1947: Joan La Barbara, American vocalist, and composer, born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  

1947: Mick Box, British rock guitarist (Uriah Heep), born in Walthamstow, East London, England.  

1947: Annie Haslam, British art-rock singer-songwriter (Renaissance - "Carpet Of The Sun"; "Mother Russia") and painter, born in Bolton.  

1949: Emanuel Ax, Polish-American classical pianist, born in Lviv, Ukraine.  

1949: Jeffrey Mylett, American actor and songwriter, born in North Canton, Ohio (d. 1986).  

1951: Bonnie Tyler [Gaynor Hopkins], Welsh rocker ("Total Eclipse Of The Heart"), born in Skewen, Neath, Wales.  

1955: James Jonathan Sylvers, American keyboardist and vocalist (The Sylvers -"Boogie Fever"), born in Los Angeles, California.  

1955: Greg Ginn, American punk rock guitarist, singer, and songwriter (Black Flag), born in Tucson, Arizona.  

1958: Michael "Jakko" Jakszyk [Curran], British rock singer, songwriter, and guitarist (Level 42, 1991-94; King Crimson, 2010-present), producer, and actor, born in Archway, London, England.  

1960: Mick Hucknall English singer, songwriter with the punk rock band the Frantic Elevators and then with Simply Red, who had the 1986 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Holding Back The Years'. They have had five No.1 albums in the UK, with their 1991 album, Stars, one of the best-selling albums in UK chart history. 

1961: Keti Garbi, Greek pop singer (To Kati), born in Athens, Greece.    

1965: Rob Pilatus singer from German R&B duo Milli Vanilli, who had the 1989 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Girl I'm Gonna Miss You'. Their success quickly turned to infamy when they confessed that they did not sing any of the vocals heard on their hits. Consequently, the duo was stripped of their Grammy Award for Best New Artist. He died of a drug and alcohol overdose on April 2nd, 1998.  

1966: Doris Pearson English singer and ex-member of the pop group, Five Star who had the 1986 UK No.3 single 'System Addict' plus 15 other UK Top 40 singles.  

1967: Neil Mitchell keyboards, with Scottish band Wet Wet Wet who formed in 1982. They are best known for their 1994 cover of The Troggs' the 1960s hit 'Love Is All Around', which spent 15 weeks at No.1 on the UK charts.  

1977: Kanye West American rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, fashion designer, and entrepreneur Kayne West. He worked with Alicia Keys, Jay-Z, and Ludacris. Solo hits include the 2005 US No.1 single 'Gold Digger', the 2005 US No.1 album Late Registration, and the 2007 Worldwide No.1 album Graduation. West is one of the best-selling artists of all time, having sold more than 32 million albums and 100 million digital downloads worldwide, and has won a total of 21 Grammy Awards.  

1979: Derek Trucks, American guitarist and founder of Grammy Award-winning The Derek Trucks Band (Tedeschi Truck Band), born in Jacksonville, Florida.  

1979: English guitarist Rob Holliday has worked with Marilyn Manson, Gary Numan, The Prodigy, The Mission, and Curve.  

1981: Alex Band American musician and singer-songwriter, best known for his hit with The Calling 'Wherever You Will Go'. 

1983: Lee Harding, Australian punk-rock singer, born in Frankston, Australia.   

1985: Jamie Shaw from British boy band One True Voice, created on the ITV television series Popstars: The Rivals who had the 2002 UK No.2 single 'Sacred Trust / After You're Gone.  

1989: Gary Wilson, Scottish Musician.  

1989: Richard Fleeshman English actor and singer-songwriter. His television appearances have included a role in Coronation Street.

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Wednesday afternoon, and here is what happened on This Day In The History Of Music. Have a great Wednesday. 

1890: Comic opera "Robin Hood" by Reginald De Koven, Harry B. Smith, and Clement Scott premieres in Chicago.

1924: "Jelly-Roll Blues" is recorded by jazz pioneer pianist and composer Jelly Roll Morton.

1958: "Purple People Eater" by Sheb Wooley hits #1.  

1962: Tony Bennett debuts in concert at Carnegie Hall in NYC.  

1963: The Beatles on the last night of their tour with Roy Orbison, performed at King George's Hall, Blackburn, Lancashire. It was during this tour that The Beatles' fans started throwing jelly babies at them while they were on stage, after an off-the-cuff remark on television that George Harrison enjoyed eating them.  

1963: Barbra Streisand appears, for her third time, on "The Ed Sullivan Show".  

1964: During an evening session Bob Dylan recorded 'Mr. Tambourine Man' at Columbia Recording Studios in New York City. This was the first session for the Another Side Of Bob Dylan, which saw Dylan recording fourteen original compositions that night. The Byrds later recorded a version of Mr. Tambourine Man that was released as their first single and reached No.1 on both the US & UK charts. The Byrds' recording of the song was influential in initiating the musical subgenre of folk-rock, leading many contemporary bands to mimic its fusion of jangly guitars and intellectual lyrics in the wake of the single's success.  

1967: Pink Floyd played two gigs in one day, the first at the College of Commerce in Hull, and then the UFO at The Blarney Club, Tottenham Court Road, London, England.  

1969: Brian Jones leaves the Rolling Stones after developing a serious drug problem.  

1970: Bob Dylan was given honorary Doctorate of Music at Princeton University.  

1971: Paul McCartney's album "Ram" goes gold.  

1972: Bruce Springsteen signs a record deal with Columbia.  

1972: Elvis Presley made entertainment history by performing four sold-out shows in New York City, George Harrison, John Lennon, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, and Art Garfunkel were among the music stars that attended the shows. The shows were recorded and became the album 'Elvis as recorded while in New York City.   

1978: The Rolling Stones released Some Girls, their first studio album recorded with Ronnie Wood as a full member. The album cover was designed by Peter Corriston and featured The Stones in garish drag alongside select female celebrities and lingerie ads. The cover immediately ran into trouble when Lucille Ball, Farrah Fawcett, Liza Minnelli (representing her mother Judy Garland), Raquel Welch, and the estate of Marilyn Monroe threatened legal action.  

1979: The Bee Gees went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Love You inside Out', the group's 9th US No.1 and a No.13 hit in the UK.  

1980: 14th Music City News Country Awards: Statler Brothers & Loretta Lynn win.  

1984: Weird Al Yankovic gives a live performance at Starlight Amphitheater.

1984: Cyndi Lauper started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Time After Time' a No.3 hit in the UK. Lauper co-wrote 'Time After Time' with Philadelphia-based Rob Hyman of The Hooters.  

1990: M.C. Hammer's debut album started a record-breaking 21-week stay at the top of the US album charts, making it the longest uninterrupted stay at the top since the album charts started.  

1990: Bailiffs repossessed the mansion owned by the group 5 Star after non-payment of the mortgage. The group had achieved 15 top 20 hits over five years.  

1990: Michael Jackson is hospitalized with inflamed rib cartilage.

1990: Wilson Phillips went to No.1 in the US with 'Hold On. 25 years earlier to the day Wendy and Carnie's father Beach Boy Brian Wilson had been at No.1 with 'Help Me Rhonda'.  

1994: After an argument TLC singer Left Eye set fire to her boyfriend's Atlanta mansion, worth $2 million (£1.176 million), burning it to the ground. She was charged with arson and fined $10,000 (£5,882) with five years probation.  

1998: Oasis singer Liam Gallagher and Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall were involved in a brawl at The Metropolitan Hotel, London.  

1998: The Ronettes appeared in the Supreme Court of New York for their lawsuit against producer Phil Spector. The Ronettes, whose hits included 'Be My Baby' and 'Walking In The Rain', claimed that Spector had breached the group's 34-year-old contract by paying the members no royalties since 1963. Although The Ronettes went on to win the case, the New York State Court of Appeals overturned the decision in October 2002, saying that the contract the Ronettes signed with Spector in 1963 was still binding.  

2003: Former Boyzone frontman Ronan Keating raised more than £100,000 ($170,000) for cancer charities during a 23 day walk from the Giant's Causeway in County Antrim to Kinsale in County Cork. He visited 610 towns along the way, walking an average of 32km (20 miles) each day.  

2010: 44th CMT Music Awards: Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert & Keith Urban win.  

2011: A Belgian music festival, which prides itself on its horse-meat sausages announced it was going meat-free on the day that vegetarian singer Morrissey appeared. The 10-day Lokerse Feesten, which boasts online about sales of sausage rolls and snails, will order stalls to sell vegetarian food only on 4 August, the day Morrissey is due to appear. In 2009, the singer left the stage at California's Coachella festival saying he could "smell burning flesh". The booking "meant a welcomed catering challenge for one day", it added.  

2015: A Toronto-based company called Nutritional High announced that they had secured the licensing rights to manufacture and distribute marijuana and hemp-based products using the song titles and bearing the likeness of iconic guitarist Jimi Hendrix.  

2016: Paul Simon said he was "elated" to notch up his first UK No.1 studio album in 26 years after his 13th solo album, Stranger To Stranger, topped the charts.  

2017: Adios the 64th and final studio album by American singer-songwriter Glen Campbell was released. After being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, Campbell embarked on a 2011–2012 Farewell Tour. After finishing the tour, he entered the studio in Nashville to record a final album. Longtime collaborator Carl Jackson stated that he had to stand with Campbell in the recording booth to record the vocals "line by line" as Campbell could not remember the lyrics.  

2019: 73rd Tony Awards: "Hadestown" best musical, "The Ferryman" best play, Bryan Cranston and Elaine May win.  

2020: Welsh rock guitarist Paul Chapman died on his 66th birthday age 66. He is best known for his work in bands such as UFO and Lone Star.  

1588: Johann Andreas Herbst, German composer, born in Nuremberg.  

1810: Carl Otto Ehrenfried Nicolai, German composer, one of the founders of the Vienna Philharmonic, born in Königsberg, Prussia (d. 1849).  

1828: Carlo Marsili, Italian composer, born in Lucca (d. 1878).  

1829: Gaetano Braga, Italian composer, born in Giulianova, Italy (d. 1907).  

1865: Carl Nielsen, Danish violinist and composer (Det Uudslukkelige), born in Sortelung, Denmark (d. 1931).   1865: Lucien-Denis-Gabriel-Alberic Magnard, French composer.  

1884: Johannes Clinge Doorenbos, Dutch journalist and conductor.  

1886: Kōsaku Yamada, Japanese composer (Nagauta Symphony), and conductor, born in Tokyo (d. 1965).  

1888: Adrian Shaposhnikov, Russian composer, born in St Petersberg (d. 1967).  

1888: Hugo Kauder, Austrian composer, born in Tovačov (d. 1972).  

1891: Cole Porter. American composer and songwriter who wrote countless classic songs, including 'Night And Day', 'I Get A Kick Out Of You', 'Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye, 'I've Got You Under My Skin'. His most successful musical, Kiss Me, Kate won the first Tony Award for Best Musical. Porter died on 15th Oct 1964.  

1900: Fred Waring, American musician and conductor (the name behind the Waring Blender), born in Tyronne, Pennsylvania (d. 1984).  

1902: Nehemiah "Skip" James, American Delta blues singer, guitarist, and piano player ("I'm So Glad"), born in Bentonia, Mississippi (d. 1969)  

1905: Walter Kraft, German composer, and organist, born in Cologne, Germany (d. 1977).  

1912: Edgar Evans, Welsh tenor (Covent Garden Opera Company), born in Cardiganshire (d. 2007).  

1912: Ingolf Dahl [Marcus], German-American pianist and composer (Allegro and Arioso), born in Hamburg, Germany (d. 1970).  

1914: Hermann Haller, Swiss composer, born in Burgdorf, Switzerland (d. 2002).

1915: American guitarist Les Paul, who had a 1953 UK No.7 single with ‘Vaya Con Dios’ and the US No.7 single ‘Hummingbird’ with Mary Ford featuring his multi-layered recording techniques. He also pioneered ‘close miking’ and echo delay recording. He broke his right arm in a car accident and had it set at an angle so he could still play guitar. Paul died in hospital in White Plains, New York at the age of 94 suffering from severe pneumonia on 12 Aug 2009.  

1927: Franco Donatoni, Italian composer, born in Verona, Italy (d. 2000).  

1929: American R&B singer Johnny Ace, who was Billboard's'' most played artist of 1955'. Ace had eight hits in a row, including 'Cross My Heart', 'Please Forgive Me' and, 'Never Let Me Go'. He died playing Russian roulette backstage at a gig on December 25th, 1954.  

1930: Barbara [Monique Andrée Serf], French singer ("L'Aigle noir"), born in Paris, France (d. 1997).  

1934: American soul singer Jackie Wilson scored 24 US Top 40 hits during the late 50s & 60s. He had the 1986 UK No.1 single with the re-issued 'Reet Petite'. Van Morrison wrote 'Jackie Wilson Said' which was covered by Dexy's Midnight Runners. He suffered a heart attack on stage at a New Jersey Club in 1975 and was in a coma until he died on January 21st, 1984.  

1934: Paul Karolyi, Hungarian composer, born in Budapest (d. 2015).  

1934: Wild Jimmy Spruill, American blues guitarist, born in Fayetteville, North Carolina (d. 1996).  

1938: Charles Wuorinen, American composer (Pulitzer 1980), born in NYC, New York.  

1939: Ileana Cotrubaş, Romanian soprano, born in Galați, Romania.  

1941: Billy Hatton, from English Merseybeat band The Fourmost who had the 1964 UK No.6 single 'A Little Loving'.  

1941: Jon Lord, keyboardist with English rock band Deep Purple, who had the 1970 UK No.2 single 'Black Night', and the 1973 US No. 4 single 'Smoke On The Water'. He also played with Whitesnake, Paice Ashton Lord, The Artwoods, and The Flower Pot Men. Lord died of cancer on 16th July 2012.  

1946: Stuart Edwards from English pop band Edison Lighthouse scored the 1970 UK No.1 single 'Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes'.  

1947: Mick Box, guitarist from English rock band Uriah Heep who had the 1975 UK No.7 album Return To Fantasy. Uriah Heep has sold over 40 million albums worldwide.  

1948: Nathaniel Rosen, American cellist (Tchaikovsky-gold-1978), born in Altadena California.  

1949: English rock, classical, and film score composer Francis Monkman, who with Curved Air had the 1971 UK No.4 single 'Back Street Luv'.  

1950: Trevor Bolder, bass, Spiders From Mars, and Uriah Heep. Bolder died from cancer on 21st May 2013 at the age of 62. Bolder appeared on the studio albums Hunky Dory (1971), The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972), Aladdin Sane (1973), and Pin Ups (1973). He joined Uriah Heep in 1976, replacing John Wetton.  

1951: Benny Neyman, Dutch singer (I Don't Know How).  

1951: Terry Uttley, from English rock band Smokie who had the 1975 UK No.3 single 'If You Think You Know How To Love Me. Their most popular hit single was 'Living Next Door to Alice'.  

1951: James Newton Howard, American film composer (The Hunger Games; M. Night Shyamalan films), born in Los Angeles, California.  

1952: Uzi Hitman, Israeli singer (d. 2004).  

1953: Errol Kennedy, vocals, from English three-piece band Imagination, who had the 1982 UK No.2 single 'Just An Illusion.  

1954: Peter Byrne, from UK pop duo Climie Fisher who had the 1988 UK No.2 single 'Love Changes Everything'.  

1962: Eddie Lundon, guitarist with English pop/rock band China Crisis, who had the 1984 UK No.9 single 'Wishful Thinking'.  

1963: Gilad Atzmon, Israeli jazz musician, and author.  

1964: Hiroko Yakushimaru, Japanese actress, and singer.  

1967: Dean Felber, bassist with American rock band Hootie & the Blowfish who had the 1995 US No.1 album Cracked Rear View which sold over 15m copies.  

1969: Mitch McLee [Douglas Lee Mitchell], drummer (Southgang).  

1970: Ed Simons, keyboards, from English electronic music duo The Chemical Brothers who had the 1996 UK No.1 single 'Setting Sun', and the 2007 UK No.1 album We Are The Night.  

1971: Rick Renstrom, American guitarist.  

1972: Wesley Reid Scantlin, singer, songwriter, Puddle Of Man.  

1974: Samoth, Norwegian guitarist (Emperor, Zyklon).  

1978: Matthew Bellamy, guitar, vocals, keyboards, from English rock band Muse who scored the 2003 UK No.1 album Absolution, and the 2003 UK No.8 single, ‘Time Is Running Out. Bellamy won the Sexiest Male Award at the 2007 NME Awards, (and won again in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014). Muse has sold over 20 million albums worldwide.

1980: James Walsh, singer, guitarist, from English post-Britpop band Starsailor who scored the 2001 UK No.2 album Love Is Here.  

1981: Vic Zhou, JVKV band member, Taiwanese actor, singer, and model.  

1981: Anoushka Shankar, British-Indian sitar player, composer, and daughter of Ravi Shankar, born in London, England.  

1982: Christina Stürmer, Austrian singer, born in Linz, Austria.  

1983: Frankee (Nicole Francine Aiello), US R&B singer, (2004 UK & Australian No.1 single ‘F.U.R.B.’ (F**k You Right Back). A response to Eamon's single 'F**k It (I Don't Want You Back).

1984: Kaleth Morales, Colombian singer, and songwriter (d. 2005).

1986: Kary Ng, Hong Kong singer, and actress.

MOHLovesAlaska

Just wanted to ask a quick question to all the readers of this post. Do you like the added information that I have added by combining two web resources? Or did you prefer the shorter post with only one source of information, which left out opera and classical? I would love to read your replies to see what your thoughts are, and even your opinion and or opinions. Have a great evening, and a great week as well. Please take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MOHLovesAlaska These are always my favorite posts of the day!

I personally don't mind the addition of these at all. Knowledge is power 😎.

Thanks for taking the time to put these together everyday! 🎶

@AdamPandora thank you, dear friend, for your support, and for your response. I love doing it, and it is great fun. Besides, it keeps me out of possible mischief. lol...take care @AdamPandora and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

TannerPandora

@ErickPandora Check it out! 😎

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

This Day In The History Of Music for this Thursday. Have a great night. 

1818: Pesaro opera theater opens with Gioachino Rossini's "La gaza ladra".

1865: Richard Wagner's opera "Tristan und Isolde" premieres in Munich, Germany.

1956: American singer, actor Pat Boone was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I'll Be Home.' Boone scored over 30 UK Top 40 hit singles during the 50s and early 60s and was the second-biggest charting artist behind only Elvis Presley.

1964: On their first world tour The Beatles took a flight from Hong Kong to Australia making an unscheduled fuel stop in Darwin, where over 400 fans greeted their aircraft. The Beatles then flew on to Sydney, where they arrive in the middle of a heavy downpour. The group was required to appear in an open-top truck in the pouring rain to wave at the 1,000's of fans greeting them at the airport.

1964: The first edition of the official The Rolling Stones book was issued, priced at one and six, (the publication ran for 30 issues). Also on this day, at producers, Phil Spector’s suggestion, The Stones recorded 'It's All Over Now, 'I Can’t Be Satisfied' and 'Time Is On My Side' at Chess studios in Chicago. During the day, the Stones got to meet, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Buddy Guy, and Chuck Berry.

1966: The Monkees' first recording sessions took place. These sessions featured members of the Wrecking Crew, a group of studio musicians in Los Angeles but proved to be unsuccessful. 1966: Steve Marriott of the Small Faces collapsed while performing on the UK TV show Ready Steady Go! The group was forced to cancel the following weeks' gigs.

1966: Beatles "Paperback Writer" is released in the UK.

1966: Beatles record "Rain" 1st to use reverse tapes.

1966: Janis Joplin's 1st live concert (Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco).

1967: 15,000 attend Fantasy Faire and Magic Mountain Music Festival, California.

1972: The Rolling Stones double album Exile on Main Street went to No.1 on the UK chart, the band's seventh UK No.1 album. In 2010, the re-released album entered the UK chart at No.1, almost 38 years to the week after it first occupied that position. The Rolling Stones are the first act to ever have a studio album return to No.1 after it was first released.  

1972: "Too Young" single released by Donny Osmond.  

1974: "Feel Like Makin' Love" single released by Roberta Flack (Billboard Song of the Year 1974).  

1975: The Eagles released their fourth studio album One of These Nights which became the Eagles' first No.1 album on Billboard's chart. The album produced three top 10 singles 'One of These Nights, 'Lyin' Eyes', and 'Take It to the Limit'.  

1977: Joe Strummer and Nicky Headon from The Clash were each fined £5 ($8.50) by a London court for spray-painting The Clash on a wall.  

1978: John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You're The One That I Want' also No.1 in the UK.  

1982: Addie Harris from The Shirelles died of a heart attack after a show in Atlanta. 1961 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow. Became the first all-girl group to have a number-one single on the Billboard Hot 100.  

1983: Chris Sievey of UK group The Freshies released the first computer game single. When played on a Sinclair ZX 81 computer via a record deck the lyrics of the song came on the screen.  

1985: 19th Music City News Country Awards: Statler Brothers, Barbara Mandrell win.  

1989: Jason Donovan was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of the Brian Hyland 1962 hit 'Sealed With A Kiss'. Donovan became the first Australian act to enter the UK charts at No.1.  

1990: "Accomplice" closes at Richard Rodgers Theater NYC after 52 performances.  

1990: Musical "Meet Me In St Louis", based on the 1944 film, closes at Gershwin Theater, NYC, after 253 performances.  

1990: Rap group 2 Live Crew members arrested in Florida for obscenity.  

1991: Temptations member Eddie Kendricks was arrested while attending the funeral of soul singer David Ruffin in Detroit on charges of owing $26,000 ($15,294) in child support.  

1992: "Price" opens at Criterion Theater NYC for 47 performances.  

1993: Irish singer Sinead O’Connor took out a full-page ad in the Irish Times asking the public to "stop hurting me please." She blamed her troubles on the abuse she suffered as a child. O'Connor was still being criticized for ripping up a picture of the Pope during an appearance on Saturday Night Live the previous October.  

1993: "She Loves Me" opens at Criterion Theater NYC for 61 performances.  

1995: "Month in the Country" closes at Roundabout Theater NYC after 79 performances.  

1996: 30th Music City News Country Awards: Alan Jackson wins.  

2001: Radiohead went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Amnesiac'. The band's fifth studio album debuted at No.2 on the US Billboard 200 and produced three singles, 'Pyramid Song', 'I Might Be Wrong' and 'Knives Out.  

2004: US singer, songwriter Ray Charles died aged 73. Glaucoma rendered Charles blind at the age of six. He scored the 1962 UK & US No.1 single 'I Can't Stop Loving You' plus over 30 other US Top 40 singles and the 2005 US No.1 album 'Genius Loves Company.' Charles who was married twice and fathered twelve children by nine different women appeared in the 1980 hit movie, The Blues Brothers was also the winner of 17 Grammy Awards.  

2006: The surviving members of Led Zeppelin met at a secret rehearsal space in England to run through songs for the forthcoming 02 Arena benefit tribute to Atlantic Records co-founder, the late Ahmet Ertegun. It was the first time the three members had been in the same room with instruments since their four-song set at Led Zeppelin's 1995 induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.  

2007: Novelty dance song "I'm a Gummy Bear" by German band Gummibär released.  

2007: Rihanna went to No.1 on the UK album chart with her third album Good Girl Gone Bad, featuring the single ‘Umbrella’. which spent 10 consecutive weeks at No.1 in the UK making it the longest-running No.1 single since Wet Wet Wet's ‘Love Is All Around'.  

2007: The Rolling Stones played their first UK festival in over 30 years when they appeared at the Isle of Wight Festival. The Stones arrived at the Isle of Wight on their own privately chartered ferry for their 200-strong entourage including five Winnebago trailers and a private security team. The Stone's last UK festival appearance was Knebworth Fair in 1976.  

2007: R. Kelly was at No.1 on the US album chart with Double Up. His eleventh studio album featured guest appearances by Snoop Dogg, Nelly, T.I., Usher, Huey, Ludacris, and Kid Rock.  

2009: Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page was inducted into the Mojo Hall Of Fame at the magazine's award ceremony. Singer Richard Hawley won the best album prize, while Kasabian's single ‘Fire’ was named song of the year. Mojo had become the best-selling music magazine in the UK, selling more than twice as many copies as NME. A further 16 honorary prizes were handed out. They included the classic album award, which went to The Stone Roses for their 1989 self-titled debut LP, and veteran space rockers Hawkwind accepted the Mojo Maverick honor.  

2016: Rod Stewart was knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours list for services to music and charity. Stewart said: "I've led a wonderful life and have had a tremendous career thanks to the generous support of the great British public. This monumental honor has topped it off and I couldn't ask for anything more."  

2019: Ed Sheeran was the most played artist in the UK in 2018, while ‘Feel It Still by Portugal The Man was 2018's most played song. Sheeran topped the chart despite not releasing new music; and without an entry in the Top 10 most-played tracks, suggesting his entire catalog of hits remains on rotation on the radio. It was the third time in four years that he's been the UK's most played artist. Calvin Harris came second and Little Mix was third.  

Born On This Day In the Music World:  

1781: Giovanni Battista Polledro, Italian composer, born in Piovà Massaia, Italy (d. 1853)

1790: Joseph Daussoigne-Méhul, French composer, born in Givet, France (d. 1875)

1831: W. A. Remy [Wilhelm Mayer], Austro-Bohemian composer, born in Prague (d. 1898)  

1843: Heinrich von Herzogenberg, Austrian composer, born in Graz, Austria (d. 1900)  

1879: Benjamin Lambord, American composer, born in Portland, Maine (d. 1915)  

1890: Powell Weaver, American composer, born in Clearfield, Pennsylvania (d. 1951)  

1891: Al Dubin, Swiss-American lyricist ("Tiptoe Through The Tulips"; "I Only Have Eyes For You"; "You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me"), born in Zürich, Switzerland (d. 1945)  

1893: Franz Andre, Belgian conductor, born in Brussels, Belgium (d. 1975)  

1894: Pavel Bořkovec, Czech composer (Suite for Piano), born in Prague, Austro-Hungarian Empire (d. 1972)  

1901: Frederick Loewe [Friedrich Löwe], Austrian-born American composer (My Fair Lady; Camelot), born in Berlin, Germany (d. 1988)  

1902: Gaston Brenta, Belgian composer, born in Brussels, Belgium (d. 1969)  

1906: Janos Viski, Hungarian composer, born in Kolozsvár (d. 1961)  

1909: Erwin Dressel, German composer, born in Berlin (d. 1972)  

1910: Chester Burnett, (Howlin Wolf) Chicago blues singer, guitarist, and harmonica player. Several of his songs, including 'Smokestack Lightnin'', 'Back Door Man', 'Killing Floor' and 'Spoonful', have become blues and blues-rock standards. He died from cancer on January 10th, 1976.  

1910: Robert Still, English composer, born in London (d. 1971)  

1911: Ralph Kirkpatrick, American musician, musicologist, and harpsichordist (Domenico Scarlatti), born in Leominster, Massachusetts (d. 1984)  

1913: John Edmunds, American composer, born in San Francisco, California (d. 1986)  

1913: Thor Johnson, American conductor (Cincinnati Symphony, 1947-58; Nashville Symphony, 1967-75), born in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin (d. 1975)  

1913: Tikhon Nikolayevich Khrennikov, Soviet composer and leader of the Union of Soviet Composers, born in Yelets, Russia (d. 2007)  

1915: Oscar Comras, drummer (namesake of Comras Mall in Bronx Park), born in The Bronx, New York.  

1920: Zbyněk Vostřák, Czech composer (While We Are Falling Asleep), born in Prague, Czechoslovakia (d. 1985)  

1922: Judy Garland singer, actress. Played Dorothy in the 1939 film 'Wizard Of Oz' sang 'Over The Rainbow' in the film, 1961 US No.1 comeback album 'Judy At Carnegie Hall'. 'Over The Rainbow' was voted the 'Song Of The Century' in a 2001 poll published in America. She died June 22nd, 1969 of a barbiturate overdose.  

1925: Don Costa, American composer (Hello, Dolly!) and record producer (Sinatra and Strings, My Way), born in Boston, Massachusetts (d. 1983)  

1929: Harald Juhnke, German actor, comedian, and entertainer (Guitars of Love, Schtonk), born in Berlin, Germany (d. 2005)  

1929: Vasile Herman, Romanian pianist, and composer, born in Satu Mare, Romania (d. 2010)  

1931: João Gilberto, Brazilian singer, guitarist and 'father of bossa nova' (Getz/Gilberto, Grammy Award for Album of the Year 1965), born in Juazeiro, Bahia (d. 2019)  

1931: M S Gopalakrishnan, Indian Carnatic violinist, born in Mylapore, Chennai, British India (d. 2013)  

1934: Nicolas Roussakis, American composer, born in Athens, Greece (d. 1994)  

1934: American singer Gerald Gregory from Fifties doo-wop group The Spaniels. Their 1954 hit 'Goodnite, Sweetheart, Goodnite' was featured in such films as Three Men and a Baby and American Graffiti. The Spaniels became one of the first artists to sign with Vee-Jay Records, the first large, independent Afro-American-owned record label. He died on 12 February 1999.  

1940: John William Stevens, jazz drummer  

1941: Harry Muskee, Dutch rock vocalist (Cuby & Blizzards)  

1941: Shirley Owens, singer with American girl group The Shirelles, notable for their popularity in the early 1960s. They were the first all-female black group to have a No.1 hit record with 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow' in 1961.  

1941: Mickey Jones, American drummer (Trini Lopez; The First Edition; Bob Dylan), and actor (Home Improvement: Tin Cup; Justified), born in Houston, Texas (d. 2018)  

1942: Janet Vogel, American doo-wop soprano (Skyliners - “Since I Don’t Have You”), born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  

1944: Rick Price with British rock band The Move who had the 1969 UK No.1 single 'Blackberry Way' and hits with 'I Can Hear The Grass Grow', 'Flowers in the Rain' and 'Fire Brigade'.  

1945: Martin Wesley-Smith, Australian composer, born in Adelaide, Australia.  

1954: Richard "Rich" Hall, American comedian, writer, and musician (Saturday Night Live, Fridays, Not Necessarily the News), born in Alexandria, Virginia.  

1961: Maxi Priest [Max Elliott], Jamaican/English singer (Wild World) 

1961: Kim Deal, American singer, songwriter, and musician who with American alternative rock band Pixies, released the 1988 album Surfer Rosa. She was also a member of The Breeders, with Tanya Donelly, Josephine Wiggs, and her identical twin sister Kelley Deal and later performed with The Amps.  

1961: Mark Shaw, singer, with English rock band Then Jerico who had the 1989 UK No.13 single 'Big Area'.  

1964: Emma Anderson, guitarist with the British alternative rock band Lush who had the 1996 UK No.21 single 'Single Girl'.  

1964: Jimmy Chamberlin, drummer with American alternative rock band, Smashing Pumpkins who had the 1995 US No.1 album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.  

1965: Joey Santiago, guitarist with American alternative rock band Pixies, released the 1988 album Surfer Rosa. They influenced bands such as Nirvana, Radiohead, Bush, Blur, and Weezer.  

1967: Human Beatbox [Darren Robinson], rocker (Fat Boys-Jail House Rock)  

1967: Emma Anderson, British guitarist, and songwriter (Lush, Sing-Sing)  

1967: Darren Robinson, (Human Breathbox), Rapper, The Fat Boys, (1988 UK No.2 single 'Wipe-out'). He was also known as Buffy, The Human Beat Box, and DJ Doctor Nice. He, along with Doug E. Fresh and others, was pioneers of beatboxing, a form of vocal percussion used in many rap groups throughout the 1980s and 1990s. He died on 10th December 1995 at age 28.  

1968: The D.O.C. [Tracy Curry], American rapper and producer (N.W.A.), born in Dallas, Texas.  

1970: Mike Doughty, American singer.  

1971: (Joel) "Jo-Jo" Hailey, American R&B singer (Jodeci - "Come And Talk To Me"; "Cry For You"), born in Monroe, North Carolina.  

1973: American singer-songwriter Faith Evans who had the 1997 US & UK No.1 single with Puff Daddy 'I'll Be Missing You', and the 2000 UK hit single with Whitney Houston 'Heartbreak Hotel'.  

1977: Takako Matsu, Japanese singer, and actress.  

1977: Nergal [Adam Darski], Polish heavy metal singer, guitarist, bandleader, and songwriter (Behemoth), born in Gdynia, Poland.  

1979: Lee Brice, American country singer and songwriter (Love Like Crazy, Hard to Love), born in Sumter, South Carolina.  

1981: Hoku, American singer, and actress.  

1987: Ghanaian-English rapper, singer, Tinchy Stryder, (Kwasi Danquah). Stryder has released three solo studio albums, Star in the Hood (2007), Catch 22 (2009), and Third Strike (2010). Stryder's business ventures include the clothing line Star in the Hood, the Cloud 9 X Goji headphone and audio equipment range in collaboration with Goji Electronics.

1989: Joel Corry, British DJ, producer, and television personality. ‘Head & Heart’ which features MNEK on vocals, spent six weeks at No.1 in the UK Singles Chart in 2020.

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Friday afternoon, This Day In The History Of Music for this Friday. Have a great relaxing weekend. 

1960: Drummer Tommy Moore made the fateful decision to quit The Beatles and return to his job of driving a forklift at Garston bottle works. He was briefly replaced by Norman Chapman, who was called into National Service after just three gigs. After going drummerless and mostly jobless for a few weeks, the band hired Pete Best on August 12th, only one day before they were to go to Hamburg to play a string of club dates. (I would not be harsh in judging his decision after all the Beatles did split, and he did not lose his family from all the negatives that come with fame and fortune). 

1962: The Beatles recorded a BBC radio program, "Here We Go", at the Playhouse Theatre in Manchester, in front of a studio audience composed largely of loyal Cavern fans. This was the last recording on which Pete Best played drums.  

1962: "Julie & Carol at Carnegie Hall", musical comedy/variety television special with Julie Andrews & Carol Burnett premieres on CBS

1964: Chicago police break up Rolling Stones press conference. 

1964: Queen Elizabeth orders Beatles to her birthday party, they attend. (I wonder what would have happened if they refused?)

1966: The Rolling Stones started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Paint It, Black', the group's third US No.1 single. Also a No.1 in the UK, it was the first No.1 single to feature a sitar on the recording.

1966: European radio stations mistakenly reported that The Who's lead singer Roger Daltrey was dead. Actually, it was guitarist Pete Townshend who had been injured in a car accident a few days earlier.

1966: "(I'm A) Road Runner" by Jr Walker & The All-Stars peaks at #20.

1966: "I Am A Rock" by Simon & Garfunkel peaks at #3.

1966: "Skyscraper" closes at Lunt Fontanne Theater NYC after 248 performances.

1966: "Sloop John B" by The Beach Boys hits #1 in the UK.

1966: "On A Clear Day You..." closes at Mark Hellinger NYC after 280 performances.

1966: Janis Joplin plays her 1st gig (San Francisco).

1967: Printed in this week's music weekly Melody Maker's ad's pages, 'Freaky lead guitarist, bass and drummer wanted for Marc Bolan's new group. Also any other astral flyers like with car's amplification and that which never grows in window boxes, phone Wimbledon 0697.' The band that formed Tyrannosaurus Rex, went on to release four underground folk albums before becoming known as T. Rex.

1969: The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Ballad Of John and Yoko' the group's 17th UK No.1. The only two Beatles that played on the track were John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

1976: The Beatles' "Rock & Roll Music" LP is released in the USA. 1977: "I'm Your Boogie Man" by KC and the Sunshine Band peaks at #1.

1977: Joe Strummer and Topper Headon were detained overnight in prison in Newcastle upon Tyne having failed to appear at Morpeth Magistrates on May 21st. Both The Clash members were to answer a charge relating to the theft of a Holiday Inn pillowcase. They were both fined £100 ($170).

1983: "Always Something There To Remind Me" by Naked Eyes peaks at #8.

1983: "Cool Places" by Sparks & Jane Wiedlin peaks at #49.

1983: "Faithfully" by Journey peaks at #12. (What I love about this song is that it was written on a napkin on the band's tour bus while heading to Saratoga Springs N.Y.) Sometimes the story of how the song came into existence is just as good or even better than the song itself). This song was more than good enough to be at #1. 

1983: "My Love" by Lionel Richie peaks at #5. (A one-time Commadore member).

1983: "Theme From Doctor Detroit" by Devo peaks at #59. ( The movie starred Dan Akroyd). 

1983: "When I'm With You" by Sheriff peaks at #61.

1986: Amnesty International mega-concert.

1988: "Everything Your Heart Desires" by Daryl Hall & John Oates peaks at #3.

1988: "Rooty Toot Toot" by John Cougar Mellencamp peaks at #61.

1988: "We All Sleep Alone" by Cher peaks at #14.

1988: Nelson Mandellas's 70th birthday tribute took place in London, featuring Whitney Houston, Phil Collins, Dire Straits, Stevie Wonder, Tracy Chapman, George Michael, Eric Clapton, UB40, The Eurythmics, and Simple Minds. The event was broadcast live on BBC 2 to 40 different countries with an estimated audience of 1 billion.

1990:  HUN appoints Olivia Newton-John environmental ambassador (her song Physical was the song of the decade in the 1980s).

1991: Natalie Cole releases "Unforgettable...with Love", covering her father's standards, (Grammy Album of the Year).

1994: "Meet The Flintstones" by The B-52's (stylized as The B.C. 52's) from the 1994 film The Flintstones peaks at #33.

1997: Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall received a Master of Science Degree at UMIST, Manchester for his fund-raising work following an IRA bombing in the city the previous year.

2000: Aaliyah went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Try Again'. It became the first "airplay-only" song to reach No.1 on the US singles chart (no points from a commercial single release).

2002: "American Idol" created by Simon Fuller with judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, and Randy Jackson premieres on Fox.

2002: Sir Paul McCartney married Heather Mills at St Salvator Church, Ireland. Guests included Ringo Starr, David Gilmour, Jools Holland, and Chrissie Hynde. Heather walked down the aisle clutching a bouquet of 11 'McCartney' roses. Mills had first met McCartney at the Pride of Britain Awards event in London in April 1999, which McCartney had attended to present an award to an animal rights activist. Mills and McCartney separated on 17 May 2006 and when divorced Mills was eventually awarded a lump sum of £16.5m, together with assets of £7.8m.

2003: Adam Ant was arrested after going berserk and stripping off in a London cafe. The former 1980s pop star had thrown stones at neighbor's homes smashing windows before going to the nearby cafe.

2004: Courtney Love surrendered to US police after allegedly assaulting a woman at the home of her former manager and ex-boyfriend. Ms. Love was charged with assault with a deadly weapon. She was later released on bail. The charges related to an incident on 25 April 2004, when Ms. Love allegedly assaulted a woman with a bottle and a torch at the LA home of Jim Barber. 

2005: Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin founding member, and guitarist, was awarded an OBE in the Queen of England's Birthday Honors list and Queen guitarist and founding member Brian May was awarded a CBE.  

2008: The American Federation of Musicians filed a federal lawsuit against the producers of American Idol, claiming musicians were underpaid because the show’s live music was re-recorded for re-runs. The union filed the suit seeking unspecified damages in the US District Court in Los Angeles, alleging that American Idol Productions Inc. and its subsidiary Tick Tock Productions Inc. violated a collective bargaining agreement.  

2009: Peter Doherty was released on £50,000 bail to await trial accused of driving dangerously after a gig. The Babyshambles frontman was stopped after police saw a car being driven erratically in Gloucester. The 30-year-old appeared at Stroud Magistrates' Court and pleaded guilty to possessing heroin and to having no driving license or insurance.  

2011: Pink Floyd 1973 album The Dark Side Of The Moon, re-entered the Billboard Album chart at No. 47, and reached the milestone of 1,000 weeks on Billboard's charts. The album which was released in 1973 has done consistently well reaching No.1 on more than one occasion.  

2015: The Kinks frontman and principal songwriter Ray Davies was awarded a London Legend Award at a ceremony held at the Camden Roundhouse. Davies said: “I accept this on behalf of all the young writers coming through, all the young people embarking on careers and as a symbol of the future.”  

2016: Singer Christina Grimmie, who had competed on the US TV program The Voice, died of her wounds after being shot in Florida. A man opened fire on her when she was signing autographs after a concert in Orlando. The assailant who was tackled by Ms. Grimmie's brother then shot and killed himself. The 22-year-old singer died in a local hospital.  

2017: 71st Tony Awards: "Dear Evan Hansen" best musical, "Oslo" best play.  

2018: 72nd Tony Awards: "The Band's Visit" best musical, "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" best play.  

2019: Led Zeppelin-An 11-judge panel from the Ninth US Circuit Court of Appeals decided to review its decision on whether Led Zeppelin plagiarized 'Stairway To Heaven' from the opening guitar riff on Spirit’s 1968 track 'Taurus'. In June 2016, a Los Angeles jury ruled that Zeppelin was not guilty of any copyright infringement.  

2019: "The New York Times" reveals an estimated 500,000 song titles, including masters of Chuck Berry, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald, lost in the 2008 warehouse fire on Universal backlot in Los Angeles...

1672: Francesco Antonio Bonporti, Italian priest and amateur composer, born in Padua, Italy (d. 1749)  

1697: Francesco Antonio Vallotti, Italian organist, composer, and theorist, born in Vercelli, Piedmont, Italy (d. 1780)  

1704: José António Carlos de Seixas, Portuguese composer, born in Coimbra, Portugal (d. 1742)  

1740: Luigi Gatti, Italian composer, born in Lazise, Verona (d. 1817)  

1849: Joseph Vezina, Quebec composer, born in Quebec City (d. 1924)  

1861: Sigismund Vladislavovich Zaremba, Ukrainian-Russian composer, born in Zhytomyr, Ukraine (d. 1915)  

1864: Richard Strauss, German composer (Also Sprach Zarathustra, Don Quixote), born in Munich, Germany (d. 1949).  

1874: Richard Stöhr, Austrian composer, born in Vienna, Austria (d. 1967)  

1899: George Frederick McKay, American composer, born in Harrington, Washington (d. 1970)  

1902: Vissarion Yakovlevich Shebalin, Soviet composer, born in Omsk, Russia (d. 1963)  

1904: Clarence "Pinetop" Smith, American jazz pianist and singer (Boogie Woogie Piano), born in Troy, Alabama (d. 1929)  

1904: Emil František Burian, Czech author, and composer, born in Plzeň, Bohemia, Austria-Hungary (d. 1959)  

1904: Alan Roth, American orchestra leader (Milton Berle Show), born in St. Louis, Missouri (d. 1972)  

1907: Marino Barreto, Cuban pianist, and singer, born in Havana, Cuba (d. 1995)  

1910: Carmine Coppola, American composer and conductor (The Godfather II, Apocalypse Now), born in NYC, New York (d. 1991)  

1912: Mukhtar Ashrafi, Soviet-Uzbek composer, born in Bukhara, Uzbekistan (d. 1975)  

1920: Hazel Scott, Trinidadian singer, and pianist, born in Port of Spain, Trinidad, and Tobago (d. 1981)

1920: Shelly Manne, American 'West Coast' jazz and session drummer, percussionist, composer, and bandleader, born in New York City (d. 1984)  

1922: Tony Charmoli, American dancer, choreographer, and director (Dinah Shore, Danny Kaye), born in Mountain Iron, Minnesota.   

1926: Brother Dave Gardner, American comedian, drummer, and singer, born in Jackson, Tennessee (d. 1983)

1926: Carlisle Floyd, American opera composer (Slow Dusk), born in Latta, South Carolina.   

1927: Beryl Grey, English prima ballerina, born in Highgate, London.   

1927: Josef Anton Reidl, German composer, born in Munich, Germany (d. 2016)  

1929: Lennie Niehaus, American jazz saxophonist and film composer (Clint Eastwood films), born in St. Louis, Missouri (d. 2020)  

1931: Audrey Schuh, American operatic soprano, born in New Orleans, Louisiana.  

1934: James "Pookie" Hudson the lead singer of the fifties doo-wop group The Spaniels. Their 1954 hit 'Goodnite, Sweetheart, Goodnite' was featured in such films as Three Men and a Baby and American Graffiti. The Spaniels became one of the first artists to sign with Vee-Jay Records, the first large, independent African-American-owned record label. Hudson died on 16th January 2007.  

1936: Jud Strunk, American singer and comedian (Laugh-In), born in Jamestown, New York (d. 1981)  

1939: Wilma Burgess, American country-pop singer, born in Orlando, Florida (d. 2003)  

1939: Bernard Purdie, American session drummer, born in Elkton, Maryland.  

1940: Joseph DiNicola, from American group Joey and the Starlighters. who scored the 1962 US No.1 single 'Peppermint Twist, Part 1'. Jimi Hendrix was a member of the band in 1964.  

1947: Glenn Leonard, American R&B and soul singer with The Temptations, from 1975 to 1983.  

1947: Richard Palmer-James, an English musician who worked with King Crimson in the early 1970s and was a founding member of Supertramp; he sang vocals and wrote the lyrics for their self-titled debut album.  

1948: Skip Alan, English drummer (Them, Pretty Things), born in Westminster, London.  

1948: Lynsey de Paul, British singer and actress (Sugar Me), born in London (d. 2014)  

1949: Frank Beard, American drummer with ZZ Top, who had the 1984 US No.8 & 1985 UK No.16 single 'Legs'. Beard is notable for being the only musician in the band without a long beard, an ironic fact considering his last name. The band has had global album sales in excess of 50 million as of 2014.  

1950: Graham Russell, Australian rock vocalist (Air Supply), born in Melbourne, Victoria.  

1951: Lynsey De Paul, UK singer, songwriter, who scored the 1972 UK No.5 single 'Sugar Me'. She became the first woman to win an Ivor Novello songwriting award.  

1952: Donnie Van Zant, American rock vocalist, a guitarist best known as having been a member of 38 Special, from its formation in 1974 until 2013. He is the middle of three brothers: his older brother Ronnie was the original lead singer for Lynyrd Skynyrd who died in a 1977 plane crash.  

1954: American vocalist, songwriter Johnny Neel who has worked with The Allman Brothers Band, Gov't Mule, Michael McDonald, and Dickey Betts.  

1956: Jamaaladeen Tacuma [Rudy McDaniel], American jazz bassist (Ornette Coleman), born in Hempstead, New York.  

1958: English drummer Kevin Wilkinson who worked with Howard Jones, The League of Gentlemen, The Waterboys, China Crisis, and Squeeze. Wilkinson committed suicide on 17 July 1999, aged 41, by hanging himself in the family home.  

1958: Barry Adamson, an English musician who has worked with Magazine, Visage, Pete Shelley, The Birthday Party, Nick Cave, and the Bad Seeds, and the electro musicians Pan sonic.  

1960: Nick Hallam, DJ, producer, co-founder of Gee Street Records, and a member of Stereo MCs who had the 1992 UK No.12 single 'Step It Up'.  

1961: Robert Birch, singer with British hip hop/electronic dance group Stereo MCs who had the 1992 UK No.12 single 'Step It Up'.  

1964: American singer-songwriter Penny Ford from Eurodance group Snap! Their debut album World Power (1990), sold over 7 million copies worldwide and became one of the most successful dance albums to date, and contained the No.1 hit 'The Power'.  

1965: Gioia Bruno, Italian-American rocker (Exposé), born in Bari, Puglia, Italy.  

1969: Nancy Blogg, Swiss dancer (Josephine)  

1969: Steven Drozd, American musician, multi-instrumentalist, and songwriter for the Flaming Lips and Electric Würms. The Flaming Lips 1999 release The Soft Bulletin was NME magazine's Album of the Year and the group has won three Grammy Awards. 

1970: Chris Rice, American singer-songwriter, born in Clinton, Maryland.  

1976: Tai Anderson, American musician (bass player for Third Day), born in Georgia.  

1985: Chris Trousdale, American pop singer, and dancer, born in New Port Richey, Florida  

1985: Josh Ramsay, Canadian singer and songwriter (Marianas Trench), born in Vancouver, British Columbia.  

1987: Dappy, English singer, songwriter, rapper, and actor, best known for being the lead singer of grime trio N-Dubz.

1987: TiA, a Japanese pop singer (Ryuusei), born in Yokohama, Japan.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In The History Of Music for this Saturday. Enjoy your weekend.

1903: The Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity is founded at the University of Michigan School of Music.

1909: "Shine On, Harvest Moon" by Ada Jones & Billy Murray hits #1.

1948: "Hold It!" closes at National Theater NYC after 46 performances.  

1948: The musical "Sleepy Hollow" closes at St James Theater NYC after 12 performances.  

1954: "Girl in Pink Tights" closes at Mark Hellinger NYC after 115 performances.  

1954: Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" is originally released.  

1964: The Beatles arrived in Adelaide, Australia, and were greeted by an estimated 250,000 fans, (the biggest welcome the band would ever receive), who lined the ten-mile route from the airport to the city center. The group gave their first four shows in Australia at the Centennial Hall, Adelaide over two nights, playing: I Saw Her Standing There, I Want To Hold Your Hand, All My Loving, She Loves You, Till There Was You, Roll Over Beethoven, Can't Buy Me Love, This Boy, Long Tall Sally and Twist, And Shout. Temporary member Jimmy Nicol was standing in for Ringo on drums who was recovering from having his tonsils removed.  

1965: The Beatles were included in the Queen's birthday honors list to each receive the MBE. Protests poured into Buckingham Palace, MP Hector Dupuis said 'British Royalty has put me on the same level as a bunch of vulgar numbskulls'.  

1965: "Bajour" closes at Shubert Theater NYC after 232 performances.  

1965: "I Had a BaIl" closes at Martin Beck Theater NYC after 199 performances.  

1965: The Supremes scored their fifth consecutive US No.1 single (they were the first American group to accomplish this feat), when 'Back In My Arms Again', went to the top of the charts.  

1965: Sonny and Cher make their 1st TV appearance in "American Bandstand".  

1966: Pink Floyd appeared at The Marquee Club in Wardour Street, London, England. It was at this show that future co-manager Peter Jenner saw the band live for the first time. Floyd went on to sign a management contract with Peter Jenner and Andrew King on 31st Oct of this year.  

1967: Bob Dylan's album Greatest Hits peaked at No.10 in the US chart. The cover photograph of the album was taken by Rowland Scherman at Dylan's November 28th, 1965, concert in Washington, D.C., winning the 1967 Grammy award for Best Album Cover, Photography. The original album package also included Milton Glaser's now-familiar psychedelic poster depicting Dylan.  

1970: David Bowie released the single 'Memory of a Free Festival', which featured guitarist Mick Ronson and drummer Mick Woodmansey's studio debut with Bowie's band, bringing together the line-up that would shortly record The Man Who Sold the World. The track also featured Marc Bolan on lead guitar and backing vocals.  

1970: Rocker and blues singer Janis Joplin debuts in Kentucky.  

1972: With the help of her mother, a barefooted Ronnie Spector left her husband Phil's Beverly Hills mansion for the last time, leaving behind her adopted sons, three-year-old Donté and six-year-old twins, Louis and Gary. Within days she filed for a divorce that would be granted in 1974.  

1976: The Who, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Little Feat, Outlaws, and Streetwalkers all appeared at Swansea City Football Club, Swansea, Wales, Tickets cost £4 ($7).  

1976: "Yes, Yes, Yes" by Bill Cosby hits #46.  

1977: "Pippin" closes at Imperial Theater NYC after 1944 performances.  

1982: Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, and Gary 'US' Bonds all appeared at a rally for nuclear disarmament in Central Park, New York to over 450,000 fans.  

1989: The Elvis Presley Autoland Museum opened at Graceland. The museum contained over 30 cars which were owned by Presley including his famous Pink Cadillac, Harley-Davidson motorcycles, Stutz Blackhawks, a 1975 Dino Ferrari, a 1956 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible, and the red MG that Elvis drove in the film Blue Hawaii.  

1990: "Mariah Carey" debut album by Mariah Carey is released.  

1993: "Three Little Pigs" by Green Jelly hits #17.  

1999: It was reported that Oasis had paid Gary Glitter £200,000 ($340,000) as an out-of-court settlement after being accused of using the Gary Glitter lyric, 'Hello, hello, it's good to be back in the song 'Hello'.  

2000: Sinead O'Connor announced that she was a lesbian. The mother of two told the American magazine Curve that she had been in the closet for years saying "I am a lesbian. I haven't been very open about that, I've gone out with blokes because I haven't necessarily been terribly comfortable about being a lesbian."  

2002: 36th CMT Flameworthy Video Music Awards: Dixie Chicks, Martina McBride & Kenny Chesney win.  

2002: Clive Calder the man who is credited with discovering Britney Spears, sold his record company Zomba to BMG Music for $2 billion. Calder started Zomba in 1975 and had hits with Billy Ocean, Sam Fox, and Tight Fit.  

2004: Lee Ryan from Blue was found guilty of criminal damage and ordered to pay £500 ($850) compensation for charges relating to an incident outside London nightclub 10 Rooms the previous December. Ryan admitted to throwing punches at a photographer after being bombarded by snappers when leaving the club but argued that he was provoked into doing so. Judge Caroline Tubbs accepted that Lee was acting in self-defense, so dismissed any assault charges.  

2005: Pink Floyd announced they would reunite with former bassist Roger Waters, who left the band in 1985, on July 2 for the Live 8 London concert. This would be the first time the band had played together as a quartet since The Wall tour in 1981.  

2006: Prince received a Webby Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of his "visionary" use of the Internet; Prince was the first major artist to release an entire album, 1997's Crystal Ball, exclusively on the internet.  

2008: Amy Winehouse performed an exclusive gig at a Moscow art gallery for Chelsea FC owner Roman Abramovich and his girlfriend Dasha Zhukova. It was reported that the singer was paid £1m for the gig at the launch of The Garage gallery, which has been set up by Ms. Zhukova.  

2008: Coldplay releases their 4th studio album " Viva la Vida or Death" (winner of 3 Grammys).  

2013: An inquest jury was told how Reggae star Smiley Culture had plunged a kitchen knife into his own chest after being arrested at his home in Surrey, England. Police had arrived to arrest the singer and search his premises as part of an inquiry into allegations of conspiring to import Class A drugs into the UK. The singer later died from his injuries.  

2013: Mumford & Sons bassist Ted Dwane was rushed into hospital to have an operation to remove a blood clot on his brain. Scans revealed a blood clot on the surface of his brain that required an operation.  

2017: Forbes releases Top 100 highest-paid entertainers list - Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs at No.1 with earnings of 130 million. 

2019: Radiohead scuppered a blackmail attempt by releasing 18 hours of music recorded during the making of their classic album OK Computer. Tapes from the sessions had been stolen by hackers who demanded $150,000 for their return. Instead, the band released the tapes in full, with profits going to climate crisis activists Extinction Rebellion. "For £18 you can find out if we should have paid that ransom," said guitarist Jonny Greenwood in a statement.  

2020: Welsh singer Ricky Valance died at his home in Spain at the age of 84. He became the first Welshman to have a solo UK No.1 hit with the song 'Tell Laura I Love Her' in 1960. The song tells the tragic story of a boy called Tommy and his love for a girl called Laura. It was considered controversial at the time and was reportedly banned from airplay by the BBC.  

1468: Juan del Encina, Spanish author, and composer, born in Encinas, Spain (d. 1529)  

1842: Rikard Nordraak, Norwegian composer, born in Oslo, Norway (d.1866)  

1857: Achille Simonetti, Italian violinist, and composer, born in Turin, Italy (d. 1928)  

1874: Willem Landré, Dutch composer and music educator, born in Amsterdam, Netherlands (d. 1948)  

1876: Narciso Garay, Panamanian composer, born in Panama (d. 1953) 

1885: Werner Erich Josten, German composer (Jungle), born in Elberfeld, Germany (d. 1963)  

1892: John Donald Robb, American composer, born in Minneapolis, Minnesota (d. 1989)  

1897: Alexandre Tansman, Polish composer (Dyptique), born in Łódź, Poland (d. 1986)  

1900: Amadeo Roldán, Cuban composer and violinist, born in Paris (d. 1939)  

1903: Emmett Hardy, American jazz musician, born in Gretna, Louisiana (d. 1925) 

1904: Eino Roiha, Finnish composer, born in Vyborg (d. 1955)  

1907: Giorgio Nataletti, Italian composer, born in Rome, Italy (d. 1972) 

1908: Marina Semyonova, Russian ballerina, born in Saint Petersburg, Russian Empire (d. 2010)  

1909: Archie Bleyer, American orchestra leader (Arthur Godfrey), born in Queens, New York (d. 1989)  

1909: Mansel Treharne Thomas, Welsh composer, born in Tylorstown, Rhondda, Wales (d. 1986)  

1914: Peter Lancelot Williams, an English dance journalist, born in Burton Joyce, Nottingham (d. 1995) 

1914: Bill Kenny, American singer (The Bill Kenny Show), born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (d. 2012)  

1922: Leif Thybo, Danish composer and organist, born in Holstebro, Denmark (d. 2001)  

1928: Richard Sherman, American composer and lyricist (The Sherman Brothers - Mary Poppins), born in NYC, New York.  

1928: American traditional pop and big band singer Vic Damone, who had the 1958 UK No.1 & US No.4 single 'On The Street Where You Live'.  

1930: Jim Nabors, American actor and singer (Gomer Pyle, Back Home Again in Indiana), born in Sylacauga, Alabama (d. 2017)  

1941: Chick Corea an American jazz pianist, electric keyboardist, and composer Chick Corea who has worked with Miles Davis, Stanley Clarke, Bobby McFerrin. In the 1970s he formed the fusion band Return to Forever. Corea died of a rare form of cancer on February 9, 2021, at age 79.  

1941: Roy Harper an English folk-rock singer, songwriter Roy Harper. Led Zeppelin wrote 'Hats Of To Roy Harper' featured on the bands' third album. In 2005, Harper was awarded the MOJO Hero Award, and in 2013 a Lifetime Achievement Award at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards. 

1941: Reg Presley, singer, songwriter with English garage rock band The Troggs, who had the 1966 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Wild Thing' and the hits 'With a Girl Like You' and 'Love Is All Around' (which was covered by Wet Wet Wet in 1994, and stayed at No.1 in the UK for fifteen weeks). In 1990 Presley began to develop an interest in the paranormal, in particular crop circles. He used the royalties ‘Love Is All Around’ to fund his research into the area and outlined his findings in a book, Wild Things They Don't Tell Us, which was published in 2002. Presley died on 4th Feb 2013.  

1942: Len Barry [Leonard Borisoff], American singer, songwriter, and producer (The Dovells - "Bristol Stomp"; solo - "1-2-3"), born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (d. 2020)  

1944: Maurice Jackson, American singer (The Independents - "Leaving Me"), born in Chicago, Illinois. 

1944: Harold Cowart, from John Fred and His Playboy Band who had the 1968 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)' which was a parodic play on the title of The Beatles' song 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.  

1946: Eelco Gelling, Dutch blues guitarist (Cuby + Blizzards), born in Zwartsluis, Netherlands.  

1948: Barry Bailey, from American southern rock band Atlanta Rhythm Section who had the 1977 US No.7 single 'So into You'.  

1948: Lyn Collins [Gloria Lavern Collins], American soul singer (Think About It), born in Dime Box, Texas (d. 2005)  

1949: John Wetton, bass, vocals, with Mogul Thrash, Family, King Crimson, Roxy Music, Bryan Ferry, Uriah Heep, and Wishbone Ash. Wetton died in his sleep at his home in Bournemouth, Dorset, the UK on 31 January 2017, from colon cancer.  

1951: Bun E. Carlos [Brad Carlson], American rock drummer (Cheap Trick-Dream Police), born in Rockford, Illinois.  

1951: Brad Delp, guitarist and singer with Boston who had the 1977 UK No,22 single 'More Than A Feeling' and the 1986 US No.1 single 'Amanda.' Delp committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning at his home in New Hampshire on March 9th, 2007.  

1951: Bun E Carlos, the drummer from an American rock band, Cheap Trick, who had the 1979 hit single 'I Want You To Want Me', and the 1988 US No.1 single 'The Flame'. 

1952: Junior Brown, country guitarist, and singer. Brown's signature instrument is the "guit-steel" double-neck guitar, a hybrid of electric guitar and lap steel guitar. In 1996 he won the CMA Country Music Video of the Year for his video, "My Wife Thinks You're Dead," which featured 6-foot-7-inch Gwendolyn Gillingham.  

1952: Pete Fardon, bass player with English-American rock band The Pretenders, who had the 1980 UK No.1 single with ‘Brass In Pocket’. He died of a drug overdose on April 14th, 1983. 

1952: Dale Krantz, American singer (Rossington-Collins Band)  

1952: Oliver Knussen, British composer (Where the Wild Things Are, Chicara), born in Glasgow, Scotland (d. 2018)  

1953: Jonathan "Rocky" Burnette, American rock and roll vocalist ("Tired of Toein' the Line"), born in Memphis, Tennessee.  

1957: Geri Allen, American jazz pianist, bandleader, composer, and educator, born in Pontiac, Michigan (d. 2017)  

1958: Rebecca Holden, American actress and singer (Knight Rider), born in Dallas, Texas. 

1959: John Linnell, accordion, keyboards, sax, from American alternative rock band They Might Be Giants, who scored the 1990 UK No.6 single, 'Birdhouse In Your Soul'. The band has won two Grammy Awards, one in 2002 for their song 'Boss of Me, and in 2009 for 'Here Come the 123s'.  

1962: Paul Clark, English musician (The Bolshoi), born in Leeds, England.  

1965: Cindy Lee Berryhill, American singer and songwriter (Baby), born in Silver Lake, Los Angeles, California.  

1965: Filip Topol, Czech singer-songwriter (Psí vojáci - Dog Soldiers), born in Prague (d. 2013)  

1968: Bobby Sheehan, American bassist (Blues Traveler - "Run-Around"), born in Summit, New Jersey (d. 1999)  

1969: Zsolt Daczi, Hungarian rock guitarist (Omen, Bikini), born in Kiskunhalas, Hungary (d. 2007)  

1971: Peter Beets, Dutch jazz pianist (New York Trio), born in The Hague, Netherlands.  

1977: Kenny Wayne Shepherd [Brobst], American blues-rock guitarist, born in Shreveport, Louisiana.  

1979: Robyn Carlsson, a Swedish singer who had the 1998 UK No.8 single 'Show Me Love', and the 2007 UK No.1 single 'With Every Heartbeat'.

1981: John Gourley, American musician, singer, and songwriter (Portugal. The Man), born in Wasilla, Alaska.

1982: Ben Blackwell, American musician (The Dirtbombs), born in Detroit, Michigan.

1983: Josh Dies, American author and musician (Showbread), born in Savannah, Georgia.

1985: Tasha-Ray Evin, Canadian musician (Lillix)

1985: Chris Young, American country music singer, and songwriter, born in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

1992: Allie DiMeco, American musician and actress (The Naked Brothers Band), born in Waterbury, Connecticut.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Monday morning, as some of you may have noticed there was no post yesterday. Sundays are going to be my official day off, it will become a "me day". When your single you can have many "Me days" lol... This Day In The History Of Music for today. 

1881: Player piano patented by John McTammany Jr (Cambridge, Massachusetts)

1923: Recording of 1st country music hit (Little Old Log Cabin in the Lane)

1946: Nat King Cole records "The Christmas Song" for the first time.  

1951: "Courtin' Time" opens at National Theater NYC for 37 performances.  

1953: Elvis Presley graduates from L. C. Humes High School in Memphis, Tennessee.  

1956: "New Faces of 1956" opens at Barrymore Theater NYC for 221 performances.  

1961: Patsy Cline was seriously injured in a car accident. During her two-month hospital stay, her song "I Fall to Pieces" gave the singer her first Country No.1 and also became a huge country-pop crossover hit.  

1963: During a UK tour The Beatles played at New Brighton Tower in Wallasey supported by Gerry and the Pacemakers. Tickets cost 6 shillings in advance. Between 1961 -1963, The Beatles played at The Tower Ballroom on 27 occasions.  

1964: The Manish Boys, (featuring David Bowie) auditioned for the UK television talent show Opportunity Knocks.  

1964: Touring Australia The Beatles arrived in Melbourne and were greeted at the airport by over 5,000 fans. Another 20,000 fans lined the route from the airport to the hotel, army and navy units were brought in to help control the crowds, cars were crushed, hundreds of girls fainted and over 50 people were admitted to the hospital with broken bones.  

1965: Beatles release the album "Beatles VI".  

1965: John Lennon's second book "A Spaniard in the Works" is published.  

1967: The Doors appeared at Steve Paul's Scene, New York City, Jimi Hendrix was in the audience to see the show.  

1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono appear on David Frost's British TV Show.

1974: Ray Stevens was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Streak' a song about the latest British craze of streaking, (running naked in a public place).  

1977: Led Zeppelin played the last of six sold-out nights in New York City during their 11th and final North American tour. The 3-hour set included: The Song Remains The Same Since I’ve Been Loving You, No Quarter, Ten Years Gone, 'Stairway To Heaven, Whole Lotta Love, Rock And Roll, and When the Levee Breaks.  

1979: Rock group "Little Feat" disbands.  

1980: Theme From NY, NY by Frank Sinatra hits #32.

1980: Billy Joel started a six-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Glass Houses', his second US No.1 album. The album features Joel's first song to peak at No.1 on Billboard's Pop Singles chart, 'It's Still Rock and Roll to Me.'  

1984: A model of Boy George from Culture Club was unveiled at Madame Tussaud's Waxworks in London, England on his 23rd birthday.  

1986: Bob Geldof was named in HRH's The Queen's Birthday Honours List, receiving an honorary Knighthood in recognition of his humanitarian activities.  

1986: Three fans died during an Ozzy Osbourne gig at Long Beach Arena, California after falling from a balcony.  

1987: Madonna played the first date on her Who's That Girl World Tour at the Osaka Stadium, Osaka, Japan. The tour became the highest-grossing tour ever, grossing over $20 million.  

1987: 30 hired hands moved 800 rented NHS beds onto Saunton Sands in North Devon for Storm Thorgerson to shoot what would be the cover of the forthcoming Pink Floyd album 'A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Rain interrupted the shoot and the team was forced to repeat the exercise two weeks later.  

1988: Woman sues Chuck Berry for $5,000,000, alleges he hit her.  

1988: "Guy" debut album by Guy is released.  

1989: Pete De Freitas drummer with Echo And The Bunnymen was killed at the age of 27 when his motorbike collided with a car.  

1989: Singer-songwriter Carol King gets a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame.  

1994: Composer Henry Mancini died aged 70. Wrote the music to 'Moon River, which was originally sung in the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's by Audrey Hepburn, was also the theme song for the Andy Williams television show. Had the 1969 US No.1 single 'Love Theme from Romeo And Juliet.' Recorded over 90 albums, contributed music to over 100 movies, including 'Theme From The Pink Panther.'  

1995: Irish guitarist Rory Gallagher died after a chest infection set in following a liver transplant. Had been a member of Taste before going solo, sold over 30m albums worldwide. Voted Melody Maker's Top Musician of the Year in 1972, auditioned for The Rolling Stones following the departure of Mick Taylor. Gallagher made his final performance on 10 January 1995 in the Netherlands.  

1995: ABC's Diane Sawyer interviewed Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley on ABC-TV's Prime Time Live. It was the couple's first interview since their surprise marriage a year earlier and was part of the publicity push for Jackson's album 'HIStory - Past, Present, and Future: Book One. Jackson and Presley declared they were a "normal married couple who hoped to have a baby". When asked if they had sex, they replied "yes, yes, yes!" They also confirmed that a prenuptial agreement had been signed.

1997: Puff Daddy and Faith Evans started an 11 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I'll Be Missing You', a tribute to the late Notorious B.I.G. Also a No.1 in the UK.  

2000: American pianist and session musician Paul Griffin died aged 62. He recorded with hundreds of musicians from the 1950s to the 1990s. Griffin worked with Bob Dylan, Steely Dan, Don McLean, the Isley Brothers, Van Morrison, The Shirelles, and Dionne Warwick. He is best known for playing on the albums Bob Dylan albums Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, and Steely Dan's Aja.  

2000: Noel Gallagher from Oasis was voted into first place in Melody Maker's annual 'Un-coolest People in Rock' survey. Marilyn Manson came second and Robbie Williams was voted third.

2000: 34th Country Weekly Presents the TNN Music Awards: George Strait & Faith Hill wins.  

2002: During a UK visit Michael Jackson made a tour of Parliament and was shown the monarch's throne in the House of Lords. Whenever Jackson went outside he called for an umbrella to shield his face from the sun.  

2002: Mick Jagger became a Sir when he was knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours. It was claimed that the Queen avoided personally giving Jagger his knighthood because she thought he was an inappropriate candidate for the honor.  

2007: Bob Dylan won Spain's Prince of Asturias Arts Award, one of the country's most prestigious honors. Jury chairman Jose Llado called Dylan a 'living legend of popular music and the guiding star of a generation that dreamed of changing the world'. Previous winners of the annual prize include US filmmaker Woody Allen.  

2012: Ringo Starr's birthplace in Liverpool was saved from the threat of demolition. The house, a run-down three-bedroom Victorian terrace, was one of 400 buildings marked for demolition in the Dingle area of Liverpool, but Beatles fans and city residents had successfully lobbied to save the house, along with 15 others in the area. The Liverpool City Council has agreed to give locals the opportunity to fix up the properties.  

2016: Irish rock guitarist, Henry McCullough died after never fully recovering from a severe heart attack he had suffered four years earlier. He recorded with Paul McCartney and Wings, featuring on the hit James Bond theme, 'Live and Let Die and 'My Love', the solo which he made up on the spot in front of a live orchestra. He was also a member of Spooky Tooth and The Grease Band.  

2019: Britney Spears was granted a permanent restraining order against her former manager, Sam Lutfi who looked after her career from 2007 to 2008. A judge granted the five-year order forbidding Lutfi from contacting Spears and her relatives and from making disparaging comments about them online. The singers' father Jamie Spears told the court how Lutfi had been a "predator" on his family for over 10 years and he was "worried" about his potential influence.  

1691: Jan Francisci, Slovak composer, born in Banská (d. 1758)  

1730: Antonio Sacchini, Italian opera composer, born in Florence (d. 1786)  

1760: Candido Jose Ruano, Spanish composer, born in El Viso, Spain (d. 1803)  

1763: Johann "Giovanni" Simon Mayr, German composer and music director (Cathedral of Bergamo, 1802-45), born in Mendorf, Bavaria (d. 1845)  

1769: Dominique Della-Maria, French Italian composer (The Prisoner), born in Marseilles France (d. 1800)  

1835: Nikolay Rubinstein, Russian composer, and pianist, born in Moscow, Russia (d. 1881) (O.S. 2 June)  

1854: Frederik Rung, Danish composer, born in Copenhagen, Denmark (d. 1914)  

1865: Auguste Serieyx, French composer and pedagogue, born in Amiens, France (d. 1949)  

1877: Jane Bathori, French mezzo-soprano, born in Paris (d. 1970)  

1882: Michael Zadora, American pianist and composer, born in New York City (d. 1946)  

1884: John McCormack, Irish-American tenor (Irish folksongs), born in Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland (d. 1945)  

1893: Siggie Nordstrom, American singer (The Nordstrom Sisters), born in Chicago, Illinois (d. 1980)  

1895: Cliff Edwards "Ukulele Ike", American singer (54th Street Revue, When You Wish Upon a Star), born in Hannibal, Missouri (d. 1971)  

1904: Benno Ammann, Swiss composer, born in Gersau, Sweden (d. 1986)  

1908: John Scott Trotter, American orchestra leader (George Gobel Show), born in Charlotte, North Carolina (d. 1975)  

1909: Burl Ives, American folk singer and actor (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof), born in Hunt City, Illinois (d. 1995)

1910: Rudolf Kempe, German conductor (Tonhalle Orch 1965-72), born in Dresden, Germany (d. 1976)

1916: Karl-Rudi Griesbach, German composer, born in Breckerfeld, Germany (d. 2000)

1918: Carter Harman, American composer, born in Brooklyn, New York (d. 2007)

1920: Helmer-Rayner Sinisalo, Karelian composer, born in Zlatoust, Ural (d. 1989)

1922: Arthur Jacobs, English musicologist (Penguin Dictionary of Music), born in Manchester (d. 1996)

1923: Theodore Bloomfield, American conductor, born in Cleveland, Ohio (d. 1998)

1929: Cy Coleman [Seymour Kaufman], American songwriter (Witchcraft, Sweet Charity), born in NYC, New York (d. 2004)

1931: American soul singer and multi-instrumentalist Junior Walker. He had the 1966 US & UK Top 20 single 'How Sweet It Is', and the 1969 US No.4 single 'What Does It Take, To Win Your Love'. Walker also played sax on Foreigner's 1981 hit ‘Urgent.’ He died of cancer on 23 November 1995 aged 64.  

1932: Coleridge-Taylor Perkinson, American pianist, arranger, jazz, and classical composer (For Bird, With Love), born in Manhattan, New York (d. 2004)  

1936: Renaldo "Obie" Benson, American singer (The Four Tops), born in Detroit, Michigan (d. 2005)  

1937: American jazz double-bassist Chuck Berghofer has worked with Ray Charles, Ella Fitzgerald, Stan Getz, Peggy Lee, Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, and The Beach Boys on Glen Campbell.  

1938: American-born, British-based folk recording artist Julie Felix. She had two UK Singles Chart hits in 1970, the first of several on the RAK label, produced by Mickie Most. The first was with the song entitled 'If I Could (El Cóndor Pasa)', while the second, 'Heaven is Here, was written by Errol Brown and Tony Wilson of Hot Chocolate. Felix died on 22 March 2020 age 81.  

1940: Dary John Mizelle, American composer, born in Stillwater, Oklahoma.  

1943: Harold Wheeler, American composer, and orchestrator, born in St. Louis, Missouri.  

1943: Spooner Oldham, American songwriter and session musician, organist, best known as part of the studio backing band known as the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section of Alabama. He played on many hits including, Percy Sledge (When a Man Loves a Woman), Aretha Franklin (Respect, Wilson Pickett (Mustang Sally) and worked with Bob Dylan, Delaney Bramlett, Willy DeVille, Joe Cocker, the Hacienda Brothers, Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, the Everly Brothers, Dickey Betts, Cat Power, J. J. Cale and many others.  

1945: Rod Argent an English musician, singer, songwriter, composer, and record producer Rod Argent who was a member of The Zombies who had the 1964 UK No.12 single 'She's Not There' and went on to form the band Argent Argent who had the 1972 UK No.5 single 'Hold Your Head Up'.  

1947: Barry Melton, American guitarist (Country Joe and the Fish), born in Brooklyn, New York.  

1948: Steve Hunter an American guitarist, and session player Steve Hunter who has worked with Lou Reed, Aerosmith, and Alice Cooper. He played the acoustic intro on Peter Gabriel's 1977 hit 'Solsbury Hill'.  

1949: Alan White an English drummer and songwriter Alan White, best known for his tenure in the progressive rock band Yes. In 1969, he joined the Plastic Ono Band after John Lennon invited him to play at the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival festival. This led to drum work on Imagine and "Instant Karma!" for Lennon and All Things Must Pass by George Harrison.  

1949: Jim Lea, English musician, bass, piano, violin with Slade who scored the 1971 UK No.1 single 'Coz I Luv You', plus five other UK No.1 hits and 18 UK Top 40 hit singles. Lea has since released a number of singles under the name Gang of Angels, Wild, and The X Specials.  

1949: Papa Wemba [Wembadio Kikumba], Congolese singer, known as the "King of Rumba Rock", born in the Kasai region, Belgian Congo (d. 2016)  

1950: Bart van Lier, Dutch trombonist, born in Haarlem.  

1953: David Thomas, American singer and songwriter (Pere Ubu), born in Miami, Florida.  

1956: King Diamond [Kim Petersen], Danish heavy metal musician (Merciful Fate, King Diamond), born in Copenhagen, Denmark.  

1958: Brian David Willis, American rock drummer (Quarterflash - "Harden My Heart"), born in Portland, Oregon.  

1958: Nick Van Ede, singer, with English rock band Cutting Crew, who scored the 1987 US No.1 & 1986 UK No.4 single 'I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight'.  

1960: Gary Husband an English jazz and rock drummer, pianist Gary Husband who has worked with many artists including, Jeff Beck, Level 42, Jack Bruce, Gary Moore, Jimmy Nail, John McLaughlin.  

1961: George O'Dowd, (Boy George), English singer, songwriter, DJ, fashion designer, and photographer. As lead singer of the Grammy and Brit Award-winning Culture Club, he scored the 1983 UK No.1 & 1984 US No.1 single 'Karma Chameleon' and global hits 'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me, and 'Time' (Clock of the Heart). As a solo artist, George had the 1987 UK No.1 single 'Everything I Own'. He became a coach on The Voice UK in 2016.  

1963: Chris Degarmo, with American progressive heavy metal band Queensryche. Their 1994 album Promised Land went top 3 in the US.  

1965: Trina Shoemaker, American mixer, record producer, and sound engineer (Queens of the Stone Age, Sheryl Crow), born in Joliet, Illinois.  

1965: Nicolás Ledesma, Argentine pianist, tango composer, and bandleader, born in General Pico, La. Pampa, Argentina.  

1971: Billy Myers an English rock singer-songwriter Billy Myers is known principally for her 1998 transatlantic, Desmond Child penned hit, 'Kiss the Rain'.  

1973: Ceca Raznatovic, Serbian singer.  

1974: Joshua Radin, American singer-songwriter. His songs have been used in numerous films and TV series including Bones, Scrubs, House, Grey's Anatomy, and One Tree Hill.  

1975: Bob Nanna, American musician (Braid, Hey Mercedes, The City on Film).

1978: The-Dream [Terius Nash], American R&B singer, born in Rockingham, North Carolina.  

1980: Mark ‘Pelli’ Pellizzer, musician, singer from Canadian reggae fusion band Magic! that had the 2014 US and UK No.1 hit single ‘Rude’, from their 2014 US Top 10 album Don't Kill the Magic.  

1982: Lang Lang, a Chinese concert pianist (The Painted Veil, Berlin Philharmonic), born in Shenyang, China.  

1984: English singer-songwriter Siobhan Donaghy, with British girl group Sugababes who had the 2002 UK No.1 single, 'Round Round'. In 2006, British Hit Singles & Albums named the Sugababes as the most successful female act of the 21st century with six UK No.1 singles and eighteen UK top ten hits. (side note: the web source says 1983, 1984 is the correct year)  

1988: Kevin Mchale born Kevin Michael McHale is an American actor, singer, dancer, and radio personality. McHale, formerly of the boy band NLT, is known for his role as Artie Abrams in the Fox comedy-drama series Glee. He hosted the British panel shows Virtually Famous on E4, from 2014 to 2016.  

1993: Gunna an American rapper, singer, and songwriter Gunna. He featured on 2020, hip-hop collective Internet Money single, ‘Lemonade’, featuring American singer Don Toliver and Nav.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In The History Of Music for this Tuesday afternoon. Have a great Tuesday.

1957: "Ziegfeld Follies of 1957" closes at Winter Garden NYC after 123 performances.

1958: Oh Boy! The first teenage all-music TV show Oh Boy!, was broadcast for the first time in the UK. Each week Oh Boy! featured resident artists plus a selection of special guests. The residents included Cuddly Dudley, who sang on 21 shows, Cliff Richard (20 shows), The Drifters (Later to become The Shadows) (17 shows), and Marty Wilde (17 shows). Guests included Billy Fury, Tony Sheridan, Shirley Bassey, and Lonnie Donegan; with occasional US stars, such as The Inkspots, Conway Twitty, and Brenda Lee.

1963: Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II's musical "The Sound of Music", closes at Lunt Fontanne Theater, NYC, after 1443 performances.

1963: Kyu Sakamoto started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Sukiyaki', the first-ever Japanese song to do so. It made No.6 on the UK chart in 1963 and was also a No.10 UK single for Kenny Ball in the same year.  

1965: Bob Dylan records single "Like a Rolling Stone" (#1 in Rolling Stone magazine's "500 Greatest Songs of All Time")  

1968: "How Now, Dow Jones" closes at Lunt Fontanne, NYC, after 220 performances.  

1968: "I Do! I Do!" closes at 46th St Theater, NYC, after 561 performances.  

1968: "New Faces of 1965" closes at Booth Theater, NYC, after 52 performances.  

1968: John Lennon and Yoko Ono plant two acorns for peace, at Coventry Cathedral, Coventry, England.  

1968: "Yummy Yummy Yummy" by Ohio Express hits #4.  

1969: During a short 5 date UK tour Led Zeppelin appeared at The Free Trade Hall, Manchester, England supported by Blodwyn Pig and The Liverpool Scene. The flyer for the tour stated: 'Come & take off, levitate with the Led Zeppelin album'.  

1973: Motown Records released ‘Let's Get It On by Marvin Gaye. The track became Gaye's most successful single for Motown and one of his most well-known songs, with the help of the song's sexually explicit content.  

1974: Novelty song "The Streak" by Ray Stevens hits #1 on the UK pop chart.  

1974: Abba's second album (but first UK release), 'Waterloo' entered the UK chart for the first time peaking at No.28. The album's title track won ABBA the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest.  

1974: "Back Home Again" 8th studio album by John Denver is released (Billboard Album of the Year, 1975)

1980: "Fearless Frank" opens at Princess Theater NYC for 12 performances.

1981: Duran Duran released their debut studio album which reached No.3 on the UK Albums Chart and remained in the UK top 100 for 118 weeks. In the US the album reached No.10 on the Billboard 200 and spent 87 weeks on that chart. Singles from the album included the UK top 10 hits 'Planet Earth' and 'Girls on Film'.  

1985: Dire Straits started a nine-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with, Brothers In Arms. The album is the seventh best-selling album in UK chart history and won two Grammy Awards at the 28th Grammy Awards, and also won Best British Album at the 1987 Brit Awards.  

1988: During Bruce Springsteen's stay in Rome during a world tour a photographer took a shot of Bruce in his underpants sharing an intimate moment with his backing singer Patti Scialfa. The picture confirmed the rumors that Bruce and Patti were having an affair. 

1989: Nirvana's debut album Bleach was released in the US. The title for the album came from a poster 'Bleach Your Works' urging drug users to bleach their needles. Kurt Cobain claimed that most of the lyrics on the album were written the night before recording while he was feeling "pissed off", and that he did not regard them highly.  

1994: Disney's animated musical film "The Lion King" opens in theaters with $42 million.  

1995: "Chronicles of a Death Foretold" opens at Plymouth NYC for 55 performances.  

1996: US jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald died in Beverly Hills, California, aged 79. Already blinded by the effects of diabetes, Fitzgerald had both her legs amputated in 1993. Winner of 13 Grammy Awards, the 1956 'Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook' was the first of eight "Songbook" sets. Appeared in the TV commercial for Memorex, where she sang a note that shattered a glass while being recorded on a Memorex cassette tape. The tape was played back and the recording also broke the glass, asking "Is it live, or is it Memorex".  

1997: "Little Foxes" closes at Vivian Beaumont Theater NYC after 56 performances.  

1998: 32nd Music City News Country Awards: Neal McCoy, Lorrie Morgan & Billy Ray Cyrus win.  

2002: A rare autographed copy of The Beatles' album Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band sold at auction for £34,000 ($57,800), more than five times the estimated price.  

2003: Radiohead scored their fourth UK No.1 with their sixth studio album 'Hail To The Thief'. The title Hail to the Thief – a phrase used by anti-George W. Bush activists during the controversy surrounding the 2000 US presidential election was a play on 'Hail to the Chief', a march played to announce the arrival of the President of the United States.  

2005: Coldplay went straight to No.1 on the US album chart with their third album 'X&Y', having already entered at number one in the UK. The last time a British artist had a simultaneous US and UK number one was in November 2000 with '1', a compilation of hits by The Beatles. The last studio album to reach number one on both sides of the Atlantic was Radiohead's 'Kid A' in October 2000. 'X&Y' went on to top over 30 global charts.  

2008: Liverpool was voted England's most musical city in a national campaign set up by the Arts Council. The home of The Beatles Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, and The Zutons took 49% of the vote in an online poll set up by the funding body. Sheffield - which brought the world the Arctic Monkeys and Pulp - came second, while Manchester with Oasis, Stone Roses, and The Smiths came third.  

2010: A case against a man accused of threatening Elton John's life was withdrawn just hours before his trial was due to begin. Neal Horsley had responded to Elton's suggestion that Jesus Christ was gay in a Parade magazine interview by writing an angry online response entitled "Why Elton John Must Die". After being held in an Atlanta, Georgia jail since last March, Fulton County Superior Court Judge Kimberly Esmond Adams dismissed the case against Horsley because his actions did not warrant criminal charges.  

2011: A case involving Joss Stone, Two men from Manchester were held on suspicion of conspiracy to rob and murder after being arrested close to the Devon home of the singer Joss Stone. The men, aged 33 and 30, were arrested after residents reported a suspicious-looking vehicle in the Cullompton area. A UK police source said they were found with swords, and a body bag, as well as detailed maps and aerial photos of Stone's property.  

2013: A 24-year-old woman died in hospital after falling at the Stone Roses concert in Glasgow. The woman was among 50,000 fans who attended a gig at Glasgow Green to hear the Manchester indie band. Police also made a total of 24 arrests during and after the concert for anti-social and drug offenses.  

2016: Brian May of Queen posted a note on his website objecting to Donald Trump's use of 'We Are The Champions' at campaign events. "Regardless of our views on Mr. Trump's platform, it has always been against our policy to allow Queen music to be used as a political campaigning tool," May wrote. The following month, Trump used the song as his entrance music when he made his first appearance at the Republican convention.  

2016: Jimmy Page Led Zeppelin's guitarist Jimmy Page denied stealing the riff to 'Stairway To Heaven' when he took the stand at a copyright trial in the US. The band was accused of lifting the opening guitar line from 'Taurus', a 1968 track by the band Spirit. Page testified that he had never heard the song until people started posting comparisons online a few years ago. Page admitted to owning several Spirit albums, but only remembered buying two of them, neither of which contained Taurus. Under questioning, he conceded that he did own a copy of the band's self-titled debut, on which the track appears, but could not recall how it came to be part of his collection.  

1636: Johann David Mayer, German composer, born in Schwäbisch Hall (d. 1696)  

1728: Pietro Alessandro Pavona, Italian composer (d. 1786)  

1734: Johann Ernst Altenburg, German composer, organist and trumpeter, born in Weißenfels (d. 1801) 

1749: George Joseph Vogler, German composer, organist and teacher, born in Würzburg (d. 1814)  

1763: Franz Danzi, German composer and cellist, born in Schwetzingen (d. 1826)  

1821: Nikolay Zaremba, Russian composer, and teacher of Tchaikovsky, born in Vitebsk Governorate, Russian Empire (d. 1879)  

1843: Edvard Grieg, Norwegian composer (Bewitched One), born in Bergen, Norway (d. 1907)  

1864: Guy Ropartz [Joseph Guy Marie Ropartz], French composer, born in Guingamp, France (d. 1955) 

1865: Paul Gilson, Belgian composer, born in Brussels (d. 1942)  

1886: Charles Wood, Irish composer of church music, born in Armagh, Northern Ireland (d. 1926)  

1894: Robert Russell Bennett, American composer and arranger (Oklahoma!), born in Kansas City, Kansas (d. 1981)  

1898: Thomas Henry Wait Armstrong, English organist and composer, born in Peterborough, England (d. 1994)  

1900: Otto Luening, German American conductor, composer, and electronic music pioneer (Sonority Canon), born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (d. 1996)  

1900: Paul J. Mares, American jazz trumpeter and composer ("Farewell Blues"), born in New Orleans, Louisiana (d. 1949)  

1910: Berend Giltay, Dutch composer, born in Hilversum, Netherlands (d. 1975)  

1910: David Rose, American Emmy Award-winning composer ("The Stripper"; "Holiday For Strings"), and orchestra leader (The Red Skelton Show), born in London, England.  

1912: Alix Combelle, French swing saxophonist, clarinetist, and bandleader (Quintette du Hot Club de France), born in Paris, France (d. 1978)  

1915: Patrick Piggott, British pianist, composer, and musicologist (The Life & Music of John Field; The Innocent Diversion - Music in the Life and Writings of Jane Austen), born in Dover, England (d. 1990)  

1915: Allan Reuss, American jazz, big band, and session guitarist (Benny Goodman; Glenn Miller; Mildred Bailey), born in New York City (d. 1988)  

1917: Michalis Genitsaris, Greek rebetiko singer and composer, born in Agia Sofia, Piraeus, Greece (d. 2005)  

1922: John Veale, English composer, born in Bromley, Kent (d. 2006)  

1922: Jaki Byard, American jazz pianist (Charlie Mingus), saxophonist, drummer, composer, arranger, and educator, born in Worcester, Massachusetts (d. 1999)  

1923: Erroll Garner, American jazz pianist ("Misty"), born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (d. 1977)  

1923: Melvin Moore, American jazz trumpeter, and singer, born in Chicago, Illinois (d. 1989)  

1926: Jan Carlstedt, Swedish composer, born in Orsa, Sweden (d. 2004)  

1927: Joji "George" Kawaguchi Japanese jazz drummer and bandleader, born in Fukakusa, Kyoto, Japan (d. 2003)  

1929: Geoffrey Penwill Parsons, Australian piano player, born in Sydney, Australia (d. 1995)  

1929: Gideon Nxumalo, South African jazz composer and pianist, born in Kimberley, South Africa (d. 1970)  

1929: Nigel Pickering, from American 1960s sunshine pop band Spanky And Our Gang, who had the 1967 US No.9 single 'Sunday Will Never Be The Same Again'.  

1929: Lotfollah "Lotfi" Mansouri, Persian opera director (Canadian Opera Company, 1976-88; introduced opera surtitles, 1983; San Francisco Opera, 1988-2001), born in Tehran, Iran (d. 2013)  

1933: Sergio Endrigo, Italian singer ("Marianne"), born in Pola, Istria, Italy (now Croatia) (d. 2005)  

1934: Ruby Nash Curtis [Garnett], American pop and R&B singer (Ruby and the Romantics - "Our Day Will Come"; "Hey There Lonely Boy"), born in Akron, Ohio.  

1936: Alexandru Hrisanide, Romanian composer, born in Petrila, Romania (d. 2018)  

1937: Ray Coleman, British author (biographies of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Brian Epstein, and Phil Collins), and music journalist (Melody Maker), born in Leicester, England (d. 1996)  

1937: Rolf Riehm, German composer (Sirenen, Bilder des Begehrens und des Vernichtens (Sirens, images of desire and destruction)), born in Saarbrücken, Germany.  

1937: American singer, songwriter, and musician Waylon Jennings. He worked as a DJ, played bass with Buddy Holly, (Jennings unintentionally missing flying with Holly, The Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens on the flight on which they died). In 1976 he released the album Wanted! The Outlaws with Willie Nelson, Tompall Glaser, and Jessi Colter, which became the first platinum country music album, and he was also a member of the country supergroup The Highwaymen with Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, and Johnny Cash. Jennings, who died on 13 February 13, 2002, was also the narrator for the TV show the Dukes of Hazzard.  

1938: Tony Oxley, British free-jazz and avant-garde drummer, born in Sheffield, England.  

1938: Aron Burton, American electric and Chicago blues bass guitarist, singer, and songwriter, born in Senatobia, Mississippi (d. 2016)  

1940: Willem Frederik Bon, Dutch composer and pedagogue (Les Prédictions), born in Amersfoort, Utrecht, the Netherlands (d. 1983)  

1941: American singer-songwriter Harry Nilsson, who had the 1972 UK & US No.1 single with his version of The Badfinger song 'Without You', and the 1969 US No.6 single 'Everybody's Talkin' from the film Midnight Cowboy'. The Monkees, Three Dog Night & Ronettes all covered his songs. He died on January 14th, 1994 after he suffered a massive heart attack.  

1943: Johnny Hallyday, 'the French Elvis', a major star in Europe he was credited for having brought rock and roll to France and sold more than 110 million records worldwide. Jimmy Page, Peter Frampton, and Foreigner Mick Jones have all played on his records. He died of lung cancer on 6 December 2017 age 74.  

1943: Muff Winwood, The Spencer Davis Group, who scored 1966 UK No.1 single 'Keep On Running' and the 1967 US No.7 single 'Gimme Some Lovin'. He became a producer and A&R man for Sony Records.  

1946: Janet Lennon, American pop vocalist (Lennon Sisters), born in Los Angeles, California.  

1946: American musician and songwriter Leo Nocentelli best known as a founding member and lead guitarist of the funk band The Meters. Nocentelli has also worked with Dr. John, Robert Palmer, and Etta James and did session work for Motown acts including The Supremes, Temptations, and Spinners.  

1946: Noddy Holder, guitar, vocals with English rock band Slade who scored 17 consecutive top 20 hits and six No.1's on the UK Singles Chart becoming the most successful British group of the 1970s based on sales of singles. Holder is now a TV actor, (The Grimleys) and radio and TV presenter.  

1946: Demis Roussos, Greek singer and performer (Aphrodite's Child), born in Alexandria, Egypt (d. 2015)  

1946: Duris Maxwell [Ted Lewis], Canadian session and touring drummer (Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers; Powder Blues Band), born in East York, Ontario (d. 2020)  

1947: Paul Patterson, British classical composer (Spiders), born in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England.  

1949: Australian musician Russell Hitchcock singer for the soft rock band Air Supply who scored the 1980 UK No.11 single 'All Out Of Love' and the 1981 US No.1 single 'The One That You Love'.  

1949: Michael Lutz, American bassist, singer, guitarist (Brownsville Station - "Smokin' In The Boys Room"), and producer, born in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  

1951: Steve Walsh, from American rock band Kansas, who scored the 1978 US No.3 single 'Dust In The Wind', and the 1978 hit single 'Carry On Wayward Son. which was the second-most-played track on US classic rock radio in 1995 and No.1 in 1997. 

1951: Craig Gruber, American rock bassist (Rainbow), born in Cortland, New York (d. 2015)  

1953: Raphael Wallfisch, British concert cellist, born in London, England.  

1954: Terri Gibbs, American blind country music singer ("Somebody's Knockin'"), born in Miami, Florida.  

1956: David Hinds from roots reggae group Steel Pulse had the 1978 UK hit single 'Prodigal Son'. Steel Pulse was the first non-Jamaican act to win the Grammy Award for Best Reggae Album.  

1957: Brad Gillis, American rock guitarist and vocalist (Night Ranger), born in Honolulu, Hawaii.  

1958: Neil Arthur, from English synth-pop band Blancmange, had the 1982 UK No.7 single 'Living On The Ceiling'.  

1961: Kai Eckhardt, Liberian-German jazz-fusion bassist (Garaj Mahal), born in Mainz, Germany.  

1961: Yoshimi Iwasaki, a Japanese j-pop singer ("Touch"), born in Kōtō, Tokyo, Japan.  

1962: Andrea Rost, Hungarian lyric soprano, born in Budapest, Hungary.  

1963: Scott Rockenfield, American drummer (Queensryche - "Breaking the Silence"), born in Seattle, Washington.  

1965: British guitarist Mark Thwaite who has worked with The Mission, Gary Numan, Roger Daltrey, P.J. Harvey, Alanis Morissette, Sex Gang Children.  

1966: Michael Britt, guitarist, with American country group Lonestar who had the 2000 US No.1 & UK No.21 single 'Amazed'. Lonestar has charted more than 20 singles on the Hot Country Songs chart, including 9 that reached No.1.  

1969: American rapper and actor Ice Cube, rapper, who had 1992, US No.1 US album The Predator.  

1969: Idalis DeLeón, American singer (Seduction - "Two To Make It Right"), actress (Six Feet Under), and television host (MTV; Extra), born in Brooklyn, New York. 

1970: Gaëlle Méchaly, French soprano, born in Marseille, France.  

1971: Bif Naked [Beth Torbert], Canadian singer-songwriter ("Spaceman") and actress, born in New Delhi, India.  

1971: Nasheet Waits, American jazz drummer, born in New York City.  

1976: Gary Lightbody, guitar, vocals, from Northern Irish rock band Snow Patrol, who scored the 2006 UK No.1 album Eyes Open and the 2006 UK No.6 single ‘Chasing Cars’.  

1978: RoRo [Romell Chapman], American rapper (Another Bad Creation), born in Atlanta, Georgia.  

1981: Billy Martin, guitarist, from American rock band Good Charlotte, who had the 2002 US No.7 album, The Young And The Hopeless, and the 2003 UK No.6 single 'Girls and Boys'.  

1982: Haley Scarnato, American pop singer (American Idol), born in San Antonio, Texas.  

1983: Julia Fischer, German violinist, and pianist, born in Munich, Germany.  

1983: Laura Imbruglia, Australian singer-songwriter, born in Sydney, Australia.  

1985: Nadine Coyle, from English-Irish pop girl group Girls Aloud, which was created through the ITV talent show Popstars: The Rivals in 2002. scored the 2002 UK No.1 single 'Sound Of The Underground' and over 20 UK Top 20 singles. They hold the record for "Most Consecutive Top Ten Entries in the UK by a Female Group.

1986: Stjepan Hauser, Croatian cellist (2Cellos), born in Pula, Croatia.

1990: Kaspar Uljas, Estonian jazz accordion and bandoneon player, born in Estonia.

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Wednesday evening, This Day In The History Of Music for today. Have a great night. 

1902: "The Wizard of Oz" musical first opens in Chicago, Illinois.

1958: "Flip Top Box" by Dicky Doo & The Don'ts hits #46.

1961: Soviet ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev defects to West at Le Bourget Airport in Paris.  

1962: The Konrads (featuring Dave Jay later to become David Bowie) made their live debut when they played at Bromley Technical School in Kent, England.  

1964: The Rolling Stones paid £1,500 ($2,500) in return for airfares from America back to the UK to honor a booking made a year earlier for £100 ($170) at Magdalen College Oxford. Local group, The Falling Leaves were the support act, and the Stones’ bass player, Bill Wyman, had to use one of the Oxford band’s amplifiers because of a malfunction with their equipment.  

1965: Bob Dylan recorded 'Like A Rolling Stone' at Columbia Recording Studios in New York City, in the sessions for the forthcoming 'Highway 61 Revisited' album. Session musicians included Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper, whose Hammond organ on 'Like A Rolling Stone' became one of rock's most recognizable sounds.  

1966: The Beatles made a surprise live appearance on the UK television program Top Of The Pops performing 'Paperback Writer' and ‘Rain’. It became The Beatles' last live musical television appearance, with the sole exception of the June 1967 worldwide transmission of ‘All You Need Is Love’.  

1967: 50,000 attend the first day of the Monterey International Pop Festival - beginning of the Summer of Love.  

1967: Pink Floyd released their second single 'See Emily Play' which was written by original frontman Syd Barrett. The slide guitar work on the song was done by Barrett using a plastic ruler.  

1967: The three-day Monterey Pop Festival in California began. All the proceeds went to charity when all the artists agreed to perform for free, the 'Summer of Love' was born. The festival saw the first major US appearances by The Who, Jimi Hendrix, and Janis Joplin. Also on the bill: The Byrds, Grateful Dead, Otis Redding, Simon And Garfunkel, The Steve Miller Band, Canned Heat, The Mamas & the Papas, Jefferson Airplane, Buffalo Springfield, and The Electric Flag. John Phillips, of The Mamas & the Papas, wrote, 'San Francisco, (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair)' to promote the festival, which later became a hit for Scott McKenzie.  

1970: Mungo Jerry was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'In The Summertime. It went on to become the best selling UK single of 1970 spending seven weeks at No.1 and was a hit in 26 other countries. The UK release was a maxi-single playing at 33 rpm, (whereas singles generally played at 45 rpm).  

1972: David Bowie released his fifth studio album The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars a concept album telling the story of a fictional bisexual alien rock star named Ziggy Stardust. The album which reached No.5 in the UK and No. 75 in the US has been consistently considered one of the greatest albums of all time.  

1973: Suzi Quatro had her first UK No.1 single with the Nicky Chinn & Mike Chapman song 'Can The Can'. 10CC was at No.2 with 'Rubber Bullets' and Fleetwood Mac were at No.3 with 'Albatross.'  

1977: Kenny Rogers was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Lucille'. It was the American Country music singer's first of two UK No.1's.    

1977: "Beatlemania" opens on Broadway.  

1979: Electric Light Orchestra started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Discovery' their first No.1 LP, featuring the tracks 'Shine A Little Love', 'Don't Bring Me Down' and 'The Diary Of Horace Wimp'.  

1979: "Logical Song" by Supertramp peaks at #6.    

1980: Musical comedy film "The Blues Brothers", starring Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi, and directed by John Landis, premiered in Chicago.  

1982: Pretenders guitarist James Honeyman-Scott died following sustained cocaine and heroin addiction.  

1984: Frankie Goes To Hollywood had their second UK No.1 single with 'Two Tribes.' It stayed at No.1 for nine weeks making Frankie Goes To Hollywood the first band to have their first two singles go to the top of the UK chart. During this run, the group's previous single 'Relax' climbed back up the charts to No.2.  

1988: Vince Neil of Motley Crue married mud wrestler and fashion model Sharisse Rudell. The couple divorced in 1993.  

1989: The first day of the UK three-day Glastonbury Festival took place featuring Van Morrison, Elvis Costello, Throwing Muses, Pixies, All About Eve, Hot House Flowers, The Waterboys, Suzanne Vega, and Fairground Attraction. Tickets cost £28 ($48).  

1990: Roxette started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'It Must Have Been Love'. The song, taken from the film 'Pretty Woman' became the duo's third US No.1 and a No.3 hit in the UK. 

1990: "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer peaks at #8.  

1991: Revival of musical "Fiddler on the Roof" closes at Gershwin Theater, NYC, after 241 performances.  

1991:English singer Vicki Brown died of breast cancer aged 50. She is best known for her membership of both The Vernons Girls and The Breakaways and as one of the UK's most enduring backing vocalists. She appeared on many hits including The Jimi Hendrix Experience version of 'Hey Joe', Petula Clark's hit, 'Downtown', The Who's Tommy – film soundtrack, George Harrison's Cloud Nine. She was the first wife of singer and musician Joe Brown and mother of the singer Sam Brown.  

1994: Kristen Pfaff best known as the bassist for alternative rock band Hole was found dead in her bathtub due to a heroin overdose aged 26. She died two months after Kurt Cobain, who was a close friend as well as the husband of Hole’s frontwoman Courtney Love.  

1996: Rage Against The Machine, Beastie Boys, Smashing Pumpkins, Fugees, Red Hot Chili Peppers, John Lee Hooker, Beck, Sonic Youth, Yoko Ono, De La Soul, and Richie Havens all appeared at the two-day Tibetan Freedom Concert, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco: A sell-out crowd of over 100,000 made it the largest US benefit concert since Live Aid in 1985.  

1997: 31st Music City News Country Awards: Alan Jackson & LeAnn Rimes win.  

1999: Screaming Lord Sutch was found dead after hanging himself. The singer turned politician was 58. He was the first long-haired pop star-boasting hair over 18 inches long and the self-styled lord (real name David Sutch), was Britain's longest-serving political leader, standing in nearly 40 elections.  

2000: On the first night of his 'Up in Smoke' tour in Chula Vista, Snoop Dogg's tour bus was stopped at the Temecula border checkpoint in San Diego after the border patrol smelled marijuana wafting from the tour bus. One member of the crew was arrested.  

2001: Four-year-old Daniel Karven-Veres drowned in Tommy Lee's swimming pool while attending a birthday party for Lee's 5-year-old son, Brandon. His parents, James Veres and Ursula Karven sued Lee for negligence, claiming they should have been told that a swimming pool was involved, (their son could not swim). Lee was cleared by a jury in April 2003.  

2002: 46 years after his first hit, Elvis Presley started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'A Little Less Conversation, (Elvis vs. JXL), giving Elvis a total of 18 UK No.1 singles, the most by any artist in chart history. This also set a new record for the longest span of No.1 hits with 44 years, 11 months, and 9 days. His first UK No.1 single was 'All Shook Up' in 1957.  

2007: Rod Stewart married model girlfriend Penny Lancaster on the Italian Riviera just outside the resort of Portofino. The 62-year-old singer was previously married to models Alana Hamilton and Rachel Hunter and has seven children in total.  

2010: American musician and guitarist Gary Shider died from cancer of the brain and lungs. He was musical director of the P-Funk All-Stars and as a member of Parliament-Funkadelic, he scored the hit 'One Nation Under A Groove'.  

2012: Collapse of a stage at a Radiohead concert kills one person (Toronto, Ontario).  

2013: Black Sabbath established a new UK chart record for the longest gap between No.1 albums when their new release, 13 debuted at the top of the charts, 42 years and 8 months after their second album Paranoid reached No.1.  

2016: Meat Loaf was rushed to hospital after collapsing on stage during a concert in Edmonton, Canada. The singer was performing his hit, 'I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)' when he dropped his microphone and fell to the floor.  

2018: Beyoncé and Jay-Z release their joint album "Everything is Love"  

1591: Joseph Solomon Delmedigo, Italian physician, mathematician, and music theorist (d. 1655)  

1633: Nathaniel Schnittelbach, German composer and violinist, born in Gdansk (d. 1667)

1637: Giovanni Paulo Colonna, composer.  

1752: Meingosus Gaelle, composer.  

1843: David Popper, composer.  

1843: Jan Malat, Czech composer (d. 1915)  

1853: Johan Gustaf Emil Sjogren, composer.  

1863: Paul Antonin Vidal, composer.  

1874: Mikhail Vladimirovich Ivanov-Boretsky, composer, born in Moscow, Russia (d. 1936)  

1894: Norman Kerry, American actor (Phantom of the Opera), born in Rochester, New York (d. 1956)  

1899: Helen Traubel, American soprano, born in St. Louis, Missouri (d. 1972)  

1901: Conrad Beck, Swiss composer, born in Lohn, Schaffhausen (d. 1989)  

1903: Huldreich Georg Fruh, composer.  

1909: Willi Boskovsky, Austrian conductor (New Year's Concert)  

1910: Ilona Massey, actress and singer (Ilona Massey Show), born in Budapest, Hungary (d. 1974)  

1916: Francis Lopez, compose.  

1923: Åke Hermanson, Swedish composer, born in Mollösund, Sweden (d. 1996)  

1923: Henryk Czyz, Polish composer and musician, born in Grudziądz (d. 2003)  

1924: Lucky [Eli] Thompson, American jazz musician (Cuban Fire!), born in Columbia, South Carolina (d. 2005)  

1928: Sergiu Comissiona, Buch Romania, conductor (Haifa Symphony 1959-64)  

1929: James K. Randall, American composer, born in Cleveland, Ohio (d. 2014)  

1931: Ivo Petric, Slovenian composer, born in Ljubljana.  

1934: Little Caesar [Carl Burnett], vocalist (Little Caesar & the Romans)  

1934: Lucia Dlugoszewski, Polish-American composer (Fire Fragile Flight), born in Detroit, Michigan (d. 2000)  

1938: Mickie Finn, American banjo player, and TV hostess (Mickie Finn's), born in Hugo, Oklahoma.  

1938: Robert Gutter, American conductor and teacher (founded International Institute for Conductors, 1996), born in New York City (d. 2017)  

1939: Billy "Crash" Craddock, American country singer ("Boom Boom Baby"; "Rub It In"), born in Greensboro, North Carolina.  

1941: American songwriter and record producer Lamont Dozier, (Holland/Dozier/Holland), who wrote many hits for Motown records, (14 US Billboard No.1 hits), including The Supremes, Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas plus Freda Payne and Chairmen Of The Board.    

1941: Dino Ciani, Italian pianist, born in Fiume, Italy (d. 1974)  

1942: American singer-songwriter and actor Edward Levert, The O'Jays, who scored the 1973 US No.1 & UK No.9 single 'Love Train'. The O'Jays were originally known as The Triumphs and The Mascots.  

1942: Eddie Levert, vocalist (O'Jays - "For The Love Of Money"), born in Canton, Ohio  

1942: John Rostill, English rocker (The Shadows), born in Birmingham (d. 1973)  

1942: David Parry, British-Canadian folk musician (Friends of Fiddler's Green), storyteller (Canadian Museum of Civilization), actor, stage director, and teacher (University of Toronto), born in London, England (d. 1995) 

1945: John Dawson [a.k.a. Marmaduke], American musician, singer, and songwriter, born in Chicago, Illinois (d. 2009) 

1946: English musician and songwriter Iain Matthews who was a member of Fairport Convention and Matthews Southern Comfort, who had the 1970 UK No.1 & 1971 US No. 23 single Woodstock. He has also fronted the band's Plainsong, Hi-Fi, No Grey Faith, and More Than A Song.  

1946: Tom Harrell. American jazz musician (Time's Mirror), born in Urbana, Illinois.  

1947: Tom "Bones" Malone, American jazz musician, arranger, and producer (SNL; Blues Brothers), born in Honolulu, Hawaii.  

1949: American singer-songwriter Robbin Thompson who was a member of the early Bruce Springsteen band, Steel Mill, and co-wrote songs with Timothy B. Schmit, Phil Vassar, and Butch Taylor, and Carter Beauford of the Dave Matthews Band. Thompson died on 10th Oct 2015.  

1949: Peppy Castro, from American rock group The Blue Magoos, who scored the 1967 US No.5 single, 'We Ain't Got Nothin' Yet'. They were at the forefront of the psychedelic music trend, beginning in 1966.  

1950: James Smith, singer with the Philadelphia soul group The Stylistics who had the 1974 US No.2 single 'You Make Me Feel Brand New', and the 1975 UK No.1 single 'Can't Give You Anything But My Love' and twelve consecutive US R&B top ten hits.  

1951: American singer Charlie Dominici who worked with progressive metal band Dream Theater, having replaced Chris Collins.  

1952: Gino Vannelli, Canadian singer ("Living Inside Myself"), born in Montreal, Quebec  

1952: Rob Kloet, pop drummer/singer (Nits - In the Dutch Mountains)  

1953: Ian Mosley, the drummer from British rock band Marillion who had the 1985 UK No.2 single 'Kayleigh'. The band achieved eight Top Ten UK albums between 1983 and 1994, including a No.1 album in 1985 with Misplaced Childhood.  

1954: Garry Roberts, guitar, The Boomtown Rats, who had the 1979 UK No.1 single 'I Don't Like Mondays' plus 10 other UK Top 40 hit singles. After The Boomtown Rats broke up in 1986, Roberts worked with Simply Red, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, and Flesh For Lulu as a sound engineer.  

1954: Doane Perry, American musician, composer, and author (Jethro Tull), born in Mt. Kisco, Westchester County, New York.  

1958: Jóhannes Helgason, Icelandic guitarist (Þeyr)  

1958: Patrick Waite, Musical Youth, best remembered for their successful 1982 single 'Pass the Dutchie', which became a No.1 hit around the world. It was a cover version of two songs: 'Gimme the Music' by U Brown, and 'Pass the Kouchie' by Mighty Diamonds, which deals with the recreational use of cannabis (kouchie being slang for a cannabis pipe). Waite died on 13th February 1993.  

1958: Jóhannes Helgason, Icelandic guitarist (Þeyr)  

1962: Femi Kuti, Nigerian Afrobeat Musician.  

1969: MC Ren [Lorenzo Jerald Patterson], American rapper, born in Compton, California.  

1971: American rapper and actor Tupac Amaru Shakur, (born Lesane Parish Crooks) who had the 1996 US No.1 single 'How Do U Want It / California Love.' His Greatest Hits (1998) is among the best-selling albums in the United States. He died from internal bleeding caused by bullet wounds on September 13th, 1996.  

1978: Jasmine "Fish" Leong, Chinese Malaysian singer (Courage), born in Bahau, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia.  

1980: Joey Yung, Hong Kong singer. 

1981: Ben Kweller, American singer/songwriter.  

1982: Matt Costa, American singer/songwriter.  

1987: Diana DeGarmo, American singer (American Idol) and actress (The Young and the Restless), born in Birmingham, Alabama.

1987: Ali Stroker, American actress, and singer, the first actress to appear in a wheelchair on Broadway and win a Tony award, born in Ridgewood, New Jersey.

1988: Keshia Chante, Canadian singer.

1988: Leeland Dayton Mooring, American musician (Leeland)  

1990: John Newman, English musician, singer, songwriter, and record producer. He is best known for the track ‘Love Me Again’ which peaked at number one on the UK Singles Chart in July 2013 as well as co-writing and singing on Rudimental's 2012 singles ‘Feel the Love’ and ‘Not Giving In’, which peaked at number one and number 14 on the chart, respectively. In 2014, he featured in the Calvin Harris single ‘Blame’ which topped the UK charts.

1991: Joe McElderry English singer and songwriter Joe McElderry won the sixth series of the ITV show The X Factor in 2009. His first single 'The Climb' reached No.1 on the UK Singles Chart.

MOHLovesAlaska

Due to unexpected circumstances, I will not be able to post tonight. I will post on Sunday to make up for missing tonights' post. I do apologize to all readers that were expecting a new post. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries, @MOHLovesAlaska.

Hope all is well, and that you enjoy your weekend! 

0 Kudos

Welcome to another Friday, and the beginning of another weekend. This Day In The History Of Music. Have a great Friday.

1821: Carl Maria von Weber's opera "Der Freischutz" ("The Marksman") premieres at Schauspielhaus, Berlin , Germany.

1944: Farewell concert of conductor Willem Mengelberg in Paris.

1948: Columbia Records started the first mass production of the 33-RPM long-player. The new format could contain a maximum of 23 minutes of music per side versus the three minutes that could be squeezed onto a 78 RPM disc.

1949: "Along Fifth Avenue" closes at Broadhurst Theater NYC after 180 performances.

1955: "3 for Tonight" closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 85 performances.

1955: Jimmy Young was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of 'Unchained Melody', (a theme for the obscure prison film Unchained and a hit for the Righteous Brothers in 1965). Young scored another ten Top 40 hit singles and went on to become one of the UK's favorite radio DJs.  

1960: "Destry Rides Again" closes at Imperial Theater NYC after 472 performances.  

1964: Touring Australia The Beatles played at Sydney Stadium in Sydney. This was Paul McCartney's 22nd birthday and after the show, his guests included 17 girls who were winners of the Daily Mirrors 'Why I would like to be a guest at a Beatles birthday party' competition.  

1967: Closing day of the Monterey International Pop Festival, Southern California. First major US appearances of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Who, and Otis Redding.  

1976: ABBA gave a special live performance in Stockholm for Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath on the eve of their wedding.  

1977: Sex Pistols johnny rotten & Paul Cook, were beaten with iron pipes by a group of rabble-rousers outside of a London pub.  

1977: Fleetwood Mac went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Dreams', the group's first and only US No.1, was also a No.24 in the UK. Stevie Nicks has stated she wrote the song at the Record Plant studio in Sausalito, California, in about 10 minutes.  

1983: Swiss band Yello released the first three-dimensional picture disc, complete with 3-D glasses.  

1983: "Pump Boys & Dinettes" closes at Princess Theater NYC after 573 performances.  

1988: 'Doctorin' The Tardis' by The Timelords was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. The Timelords were Scottish duo Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty, who formed KLF. The song was a mash-up of the Doctor Who theme music, Gary Glitter's 'Rock and Roll (Part Two)' with sections from 'Blockbuster!' by Sweet.  

1989: "Starmites" closes at Criter Ctr SR Theater NYC after 60 performances.  

1991: "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" single released by Bryan Adams (Billboard Song of the Year, 1991)  

1993: A&M Records chairman Jerry Moss and vice-chairman Herb Alpert announced they were leaving the company they founded more than 30 years earlier. They had sold A&M in 1990 to Polygram for $500 million. Moss and Alpert started the label in the garage of Alpert's Los Angeles home in 1962. The label was the home to such acts as The Police, Bryan Adams, Joan Baez, Flying Burrito Brothers, The Carpenters, Joe Cocker, Supertramp, and Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass.  

2002: U2 lost a bid to prevent the demolition of Hanover Quay studio in Dublin.’Over 8,000 fans signed an online petition to preserve the studio, where the group recorded ‘All That You Can't Leave Behind’ and some of their 'Pop' album.  

2002: Jimmy Guizar the ex-husband of Spice Girl Mel B appeared in court on a charge of assaulting a three-year-old boy. Dancer Jimmy Guizar denied assaulting the child in a play area at London Zoo.  

2003: Pop Idol creator Simon Fuller became the first British music manager since The Beatles Brian Epstein to hold the top three positions in the US singles chart. Fuller, who steered the Spice Girls and S Club 7 to success, was in charge of bestselling artists Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard, together with the American Idol 2 Final 10. During 2003 Fuller sold more than ten million records around the world and has had 96 No.1 singles and 79 top-placed albums in both the US and UK during his career. He was named in the latest Sunday Times Rich List as the 359th wealthiest person in the UK with assets of £90 million ($153 million).  

2007: American singer and record producer Hank Medress died of lung cancer at 68. He was the vocalist on The Tokens 1961 US No.1 hit 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight', Medress was also in the vocal quartet The Linc-Tones with Neil Sedaka and produced the hit single 'He's So Fine by The Chiffons, as well as Tony Orlando's 'Knock Three Times.  

2008: A Lost Angeles hotel filed a lawsuit against Phil Spector for failing to pay more than $100,000 (£61,000), in outstanding bills for lawyers and expert witnesses in his murder trial. The Westin Bonaventure Hotel claimed that by the time Spector's trial ended with a hung jury, the defendants owed the hotel more than $104,000 (£63,400).  

2010: "Recovery" 7th studio album by Eminem is released (best selling album worldwide 2010)  

2010: John Lennon's handwritten lyrics to The Beatles song 'A Day In The Life' sold for $1.2m (£810,000) at an auction at Sotheby's in New York. The double-sided sheet of paper with notes written in felt marker and blue ink also contained some corrections and other notes penned in red ink.  

2015: Van Morrison, Cyndi Lauper, and Toby Keith were among the inductees into the Song Writers Hall Of Fame at a star-studded gala in New York City. The Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia was also inducted posthumously alongside the band's lyricist Robert Hunter.  

2016: Adele was named songwriter of the year at the prestigious Ivor Novello Awards, which recognize achievement in songwriting. The singer was honored for her multi-million-selling album, 25, which emerged last year after a long struggle with writer's block.  

2020: A Jamaican guitarist Hux Brown died in Oakland, California, aged 75. He featured on many successful rocksteady and reggae records in the 60s and 70s and was later a member of Toots and the Maytals.  

2020: English singer, songwriter, and entertainer Vera Lynn died at her home in East Sussex aged 103. She was popular during the Second World War and was widely referred to as the "Forces' Sweetheart" giving outdoor concerts for the British troops overseas. The songs most associated with her are 'We'll Meet Again', and '(There'll Be Bluebirds Over) The White Cliffs of Dover'. On their 1979 album The Wall, Pink Floyd released a song titled "Vera", referencing Vera Lynn and the song 'We'll Meet Again'.  

1677: Antonio Maria Bononcini, Italian cellist and composer, born in Modena, Italy (d. 1726)  

1717: Johann Wenzel Anton Stamitz, Czech composer, born in Německý Brod, Bohemia (d. 1757)  

1723: Giuseppe Scarlatti, Italian composer, born in Naples (d. 1777)  

1744: Georg Augustin Holler, German composer (d. 1814)  

1757: Ignaz Joseph Pleyel, Austrian-French composer, and piano builder, born in Ruppersthal, Austria (d. 1831)  

1780: Michael Henkel, German composer and organist, born in Fulda, Germany (d. 1851)  

1820: Martin Andreas Udbye, Norwegian composer and organist, born in Trondheim, Norway (d. 1889) 

1822: Henry David Leslie, British choral and orchestral conductor, and composer, born in London, England (d. 1896)  

1850: Richard Heuberger, Austrian composer, critic, and teacher, born in Graz, Austria (d. 1914)  

1891: Con Conrad [Dober], American songwriter ("Ma! He's Making Eyes at Me"; "The Continental"), and theatrical producer, born in NYC, New York (d. 1938)  

1892: Edward Steuermann, Austrian-American pianist and composer, born in Sambor, Austro-Hungarian Empire (d. 1964)  

1896: George Thalben-Ball, Australian-English organist (Birmingham City Organist, 1949-83), and composer (Elegy), born in Sydney, Australia (d. 1987)  

1903: Jeanette MacDonald, American actress and singer ("When I'm Calling You"), born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (d. 1965)  

1904: Manuel Rosenthal, French composer (Bootleggers), born in Paris, France (d. 2003)  

1905: Eduard Tubin, Estonian composer, born in Torila, Governorate of Livonia (d. 1982)  

1906: (James) "Kay" Kyser, American bandleader and radio personality (Kay Kyser's Kollege of Musical Knowledge), born in Rocky Mount, North Carolina (d. 1985)  

1907: Benny Payne, American jazz pianist (Cab Calloway; Billy Daniels Show), born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (d. 1986)  

1910: Ray McKinley, American orchestra leader and jazz drummer (Glenn Miller Time), born in Fort Worth, Texas (d. 1995)  

1913: Sammy Cahn [Cohen], American lyricist ("Three Coins in a Fountain"; "High Hopes"; "Call Me Irresponsible"), born in NYC, New York (d. 1993)  

1915: Victor Legley, Belgian violinist and composer, born in Hazebrouck, Belgium (d. 1994)  

1916: Roman Toi, Estonian-Canadian composer, choral conductor, and organist, born in Kõo Parish, Viljandi, Estonia, Russian Empire (d. 2018)  

1917: Akhmet Jevdet Ismail Hajiyev, Azerbaijani composer, born in Nukha, Azerbaijan (d. 2002)  

1922: Claude Helffer, French classical pianist and composer, born in Paris (d. 2004)  

1923: Herman Krebbers, Dutch violinist, concertmaster, and music teacher, born in Hengelo, Netherlands (d. 2018)  

1925: Herman "Ace" Wallace, American blues guitarist and singer, born in St Louis, Missouri (d. 1996) 

1927: Simeon Pironkov, Bulgarian composer, born in Lom, Bulgaria (d. 2000)  

1933: [Charles] Tommy Hunt, American soul singer (Flamingos - "I Only Have Eyes For You"; "Lovers Never Say Goodbye"), born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania  

1933: Colin Brumby, Australian composer, conductor, and educator (Fibonacci Variations), born in Melbourne (d. 2018)  

1934: Gladstone "Gladdy" Anderson, Jamaican ska and reggae session keyboard player, and bandleader ("The Liquidator"), born in Jones Town, Jamaica (d. 2015)  

1938: Don "Sugarcane" Harris, American rock guitarist and electric violin pioneer (Don & Dewey; Frank Zappa), born in Pasadena, California (d. 1999)  

1942: Hans Vonk, Dutch conductor (The Hague Philharmonic, 1980-1991; St. Louis Symphony, 1996-2002), born in Amsterdam (d. 2004)  

1942: Sir Paul McCartney of The Beatles Wings, solo. The most successful rock composer of all time. McCartney first met John Lennon on July 6th, 1957, who was impressed that Paul could tune a guitar. With The Beatles, he scored 21 US No.1 & 17 UK No.1 singles plus McCartney has scored over 30 US & UK solo Top 40 hit singles. He has written and co-written 188 charted records, of which 91 reached the Top 10 and 33 made it to No.1 totaling 1,662 weeks on the chart.  

1942: Carl Radle, bassist with Derek and the Dominoes, who had the 1972 UK No.7 single 'Layla'. He died of kidney failure on June 30th, 1980, aged 38. Also worked with George Harrison and Delaney And Bonnie.  

1942: Richard Perry, US producer. Member of The Legends during the 60s. Worked with Carly Simon, Barbra Streisand, Ringo Starr, Captain Beefheart, Leo Sayer, Diana Ross, The Pointer Sisters.  

1943: Raffaella Carrà [Pelloni], Italian singer and actress, born in Bologna, Italy.  

1944: Paul Lansky, American electronic composer, born in New York City.  

1944: Sandy Posey, American pop and country singer ("Single Girl"), born in Jasper, Alabama.  

1944: Rick Griffin, American artist and a leading designer of psychedelic posters in the 1960s (Grateful Dead), born in Palos Verdes, California (d. 1991)  

1947: Douglas Young, British composer, born in London, England. 

1948: Éva Marton, Hungarian operatic soprano, born in Budapest, Hungary.  

1949: "Prince" Lincoln Thompson, Jamaican reggae singer-songwriter ("Humanity"; "Daughters Of Zion"), born in Kingston, Jamaica (d. 1999)  

1952: Ricky Gazda, from the Jersey Shore group Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes who had the 1978 album Hearts Of Stone and have released over ten other albums.  

1953: Jerome Smith, guitarist, with American disco and funk group KC and the Sunshine Band who had the 1975 US No.1 single 'That's The Way, I Like It', and the 1983 UK No.1 single 'Give It Up'. He died on August 2nd, 2000 after being crushed by a bulldozer he was operating.  

1954: William Beard, American session and touring rock drummer (Face To Face; Sessions Americana), born in Boston, Massachusetts.  

1956: John Scott, English organist, and choirmaster, born in Wakefield, England (d. 2015)  

1960: West Arkeen, American guitarist and songwriter (for Guns N' Roses - "It's So Easy,"; "The Garden"), born in Neuilly-sur-Seine, France (d. 1997)

1961: English singer, songwriter Alison Moyet, who with Yazoo had the 1982 UK No.2 single 'Only You' and solo hit in 1985 with the UK No.2 single 'That Ole Devil Called Love'.  

1963: Darren "Dizzy" Reed, American rock keyboardist (Guns N' Roses - "Sweet Girl of Mine"), born in Hinsdale, Illinois.  

1969: Pål Pot Pamparius, Norwegian musician (Turbonegro)  

1969: Simon Rowbottom, guitarist with English alternative rock band The Boo Radleys who had the 1995 UK No.9 single 'Wake Up Boo'.  

1971: Nathan Morris, from American R&B vocal group Boyz II Men, who had the 1992 US & UK No.1 single 'End Of The Road' which set a new record for longevity, staying at No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for thirteen weeks, breaking the decades-old record held by Elvis Presley. 

1973: Gary Stringer, vocals, with English band Reef who had the 1996 UK No. 6 single ‘Place Your Hands and the 1997 UK No.1 album ‘Glow'.  

1975: Jem [Jemma Griffiths], Welsh pop-rock, and "folktronica" singer-songwriter, born in Penarth, Wales.  

1976: Blake Shelton, American country music singer and television personality. Blake Shelton has charted over 20 country singles, including 11 No.1's. He is the husband of country singer Miranda Lambert.  

1980: Ivana Wong, Hong Kong singer, and songwriter.  

1988: Josh Dun American drummer for the musical duo Twenty One Pilots. Their second album the 2015 Blurryface peaked at No.1 on the US chart.

1989: Renee Olstead, American singer and actress.

1994: Takeoff [Kirsnick Ball], American rapper (Migos), born in Lawrenceville, Georgia.

MOHLovesAlaska