cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who was the single most important group/band ever?

DATM
Underground

Legacies

A 60+-year-old man and I almost came to blows over this (unfortunately most discussions about music are subjective unless talking tech but I digress..):  He said The Beatles were the single most important group/band ever.  While I did and do agree with the importance of The Fab 4 on music history, I countered with the M word...Metallica are just as important at this point in time.  Like it or not they ARE The Beatles of my generation and just as important.  You would've thought I insulted his mom from his reaction.  What are y'all's thoughts?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

4 Replies

Freakyrockstone
Local Performer

The Rolling Stones were better, but the greatest band ever.... without a doubt.... Led Zeppelin

0 Kudos

DATM
Underground

To be fair, I never said either The Beatles or Metallica were the most important musician/band.  In my opinion, that honor goes to Chuck Berry, who I think is the King of Rock N Roll (I'm from MS so I know about both the blues and Elvis).

0 Kudos

Freakyrockstone
Local Performer

If we're going to go that route, then it's got to be Elvis Presley, he broke the rock and roll barrier and the black and white barrier. Growing up when I was a kid everybody knew Elvis. Every mother and daughter want to be with him and every son and brother want to be him. But it's funny because it seemed like every father hated him, was it jealousy was it that they were envious of him? Between his lips and hips, nobody came close to his popularity except maybe Frank Sinatra. I mean what didn't he do, he served for our country, he acted in movies and he went out the hottest chicks. Had one of the most beautiful wife ever and his daughter was simply gorgeous, totally had his eyes. I believe he's probably the best looking man ever to grace this planet, and I'm straight. I have a feeling when I go to The Pearly Gates, Jesus may look and sound like him. Just think how many people try to imitate his voice, I still do it today. There is only two people ever in music history that can bring tears to my eyes, that is Elvis Presley and Janis Joplin. I easily get very emotional when I hear those two voices. Think of all the great songs that he had from his early days to his last days ,so many hits. I remember I was helping my mom doing chores around the house when the news came over the radio that Elvis Presley was dead. When I told my mom she totally freaked out screaming and yelling and crying. She was so heartbroken, as we all were. There will never ever be another Elvis.

0 Kudos

DATM
Underground

Probably true about not being another Elvis.  Rock n roll was/is a direct descendant of the blues, which originated in the Delta.  Having been born and raised in Tupelo, there's no question about the influence it had on Elvis Presley and this was music (especially the early years).    Unfortunately, because of those times and the fact that society was A LOT different as far as civil rights, segregation, etc go, MOST of America would have openly rioted in the streets if a black guy in the '50s was on TV AND shaking his hips.  I'm not saying Elvis stole RnR from black culture but the influence IS there.  Jukes were playing blues and RnR long before that historic Ed Sullivan show with Elvis.  I also contend that Chuck Berry was a MUCH better guitarist.

0 Kudos