cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Soundtrack for International Dog Day

EricPandora
Pandora
Pandora

August 26 is International Dog Day! This year also marks its 20th anniversary. The holiday was created back in 2004 by pet lifestyle professional and animal advocate Colleen Paige, who chose August 26 to commemorate the day she first adopted a canine family member. In establishing International Dog Day, Paige hoped to bring awareness to the act of adopting and rescuing dogs.

Photo by: Emily RiemanPhoto by: Emily RiemanPhoto by: Emily Rieman

Ok, full disclosure: I used to be a cat person. I’m still a cat person. That is, I still love cats. But about 15 years ago, I began to keep company with little dogs instead of feline friends. Why? Because small dogs are still cat-sized companions, but they’re totally different to interact with. The domestic cats I’ve known and loved were mostly independent entities who drove our relationships (and I suspect that some had secret families). Conversely, the dogs in my life have always let me lead. Unlike cats, who seemed more like roommates I could sometimes cuddle with on their terms, dogs felt more like best friends and sidekicks. They’re usually down for whatever, whenever. It’s a lot easier to take a small dog to the beach or the local tavern than it is to take a cat. And I’ve never camped with a cat. But I can’t even count the times I’ve taken my little guy Noonan (yes, he was named after the protagonist in Caddyshack) out on camping trips and other outdoor adventures. Sure, some cats can do these things – Chris from Beachwood Sparks used to take his cat Carl on tour with the band! But the dogs in my life (especially Noonan), have always been more open to bond with and casually hang out.  

2_studio_720.jpg

I can pretty much take my boy anywhere and he’s just happy to be with me. I’ve even taken Noonan into the recording studio a few times. While our guitar player was overdubbing his leads on our second album, I taught Noonan how to roll over and how to catch treats. And when I was tracking vocals, he would just curl up next to my feet, waiting patiently. Like many dogs I’ve known, Noonan feels at home in the studio. This has led me to deduct the following conclusion: dogs rock! Think about it – dogs are descended from wolves. And nothing against cobras, but no animal is more metal than a wolf. So then, it stands to reason that if wolves are metal, dogs are rock. And this is why we’re going to pedestalize our canine companions on this internationally celebrated day with a compilation of pooch punk, hound hits, and other electric guitar-based mutt music. Crank the volume and howl along! This is Dog Rock!

3_dog_rock.jpg

Ok cats rock too, but that’s mostly soft rock – a playlist and Pandora Story for another time. Speaking of cats, let’s talk about Jimmy Page! Because in 1964, he was a studio musician who played probably my favorite guitar solo of all time on The First Gear’s B-side cover of the 1959 R&B hit by Little Willie John, Titus Turner, and James McDougal, “Leave My Kitten Alone.” Then in December of 1971, Led Zeppelin released “Black Dog” as the first track on their fourth album. So, Jimmy Page was a session cat deep into dog rock long before many of the musicians on this playlist were musing on mutts.

4_nazareth.jpg4_ozzy.jpg

If you need further evidence that dogs rock, just listen to Nazareth’s “Hair of The Dog” or AC/DC’s “Givin the Dog a Bone.” And let’s not forget that before Aerosmith recorded “Walk This Way,” they released a cover of Rufus Thomas’ “Wa

lkin’ The Dog.” Of course, you can’t argue with one of the heaviest dog rock songs ever, Ozzy’s “Bark At The Moon.” But is it dog rock or mutt metal? Hit play and decide for yourself! Then find your favorite dog and scratch their belly so good that their leg shakes to the music! And remember that August 26th comes once a year, but International Dog Day can be every day if you want. I have the dedicated, double denim, dog rock threads to prove it!

5_denim_dog_720.jpg