Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Mullet Day

EricPandora
Pandora
Pandora

1_mullet.jpg

Did you know that July 2nd is International Mullet Day? With all the 1980s nostalgia-based programs currently playing on various streaming services, you would think that all Gen X-ers grew up dressing like Molly Ringwald and members of Duran Duran, driving Lamborghinis to exclusive nightclubs and art openings. But let’s be honest. While many ‘80s ladies flawlessly flexed that Brat Pack style, a lot of the guys were probably wearing Oakley Blades and Hypercolor tank tops while driving to the mall in a lowered truck with the Top Gun soundtrack blasting from the tape player. And they were probably en route to having their mullets frosted at Supercuts.

2_mullet.jpg

Don’t worry guys, I’m not here to judge you. I’m here to help. Why? Well, because after remembering that July 2nd is International Mullet Day, I realized that many of us have been cheated out of honest nostalgia. Here at Pandora, we don’t believe in the guilt associated with so-called guilty pleasures, even if you still listen to what we affectionately call “mullet rock.”

3_mullet.jpg

Over the years, there has been some discussion as to just what constitutes mullet rock. Some city folks believe it’s ’80s metal. Others of more pastoral upbringings may say it’s southern rock or Reagan-era country. And these are very fair guesstimates. After all, let’s not forget the teased mullets of Dokken, or that Billy Ray Cyrus has a tune called “I Want My Mullet Back,” a song he released 12 years after he “flew the flap” on the cover of Storm in the Heartland.

4_mullet.jpg

But this mullet-inspired playlist specializes in the kind of mullet rock to which today’s Gen X dads can relate. During the 1980s, these mullet-donning, cul-de-sac-dwelling, future dads listened to a lot of what’s also called “power rock,” the little brother to the power ballad. For example, Foreigner’s “Waiting for a Girl Like You” is a power ballad. Conversely, their more upbeat and anthemic “Juke Box Hero” is power rock. Similarly, “Open Arms” by Journey is a very powerful power ballad. But their fist-pumping 1980 hit “Any Way You Want It” is pure power rock. A power rock song is sometimes just a really fast power ballad, and the line dividing the two can sometimes get a bit blurry.

5_mullet.jpg

Our International Mullet Day playlist, The Mullet, also includes mellow power rock songs like Gerard McMann’s “Cry Little Sister” from the 1987 soundtrack to the film The Lost Boys. Sure, it’s a bit slower than, say, Night Ranger’s “Don’t Tell Me You Love Me,” but consider this: most of the vampires in The Lost Boys had mullets. Though even with all their collective vampire power, none of their mullets could come close to competing with the lengthy locks of “Lost Boys Sax Guy,” Tim Cappello. What is it with vampires and mullets? Even Eddie Murphy had a slick, flowing mullet in Vampire in Brooklyn to warm the back of his cold, undead, vampire neck. No matter what you call your neck warmer – your “Kentucky waterfall,” “Mississippi mud flap,” “Boston beaver tail,” or “Canadian passport,” just know that we see you. And we’ve got you covered. So let your freak flap fly! Turn up that volume on some mullet rock and have an awesome International Mullet Day!

6_mullet.jpg

1 Comment