Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pandora Picks: September 2023

EricPandora
Pandora
Pandora

Pandora Picks_ September.png

What songs soundtracked September for you? This time of year, it’s easy to lean into the end-of-summer blues with some fall flavored melancholy or “fallancholy,” as we like to call it. On the other hand, some of us get inspired to wear warmer clothes and crank those earbuds as we walk in a slightly crisper climate. Here’s what some Pandora people were digging on the cusp of Autumn, 2023.

1 Tommy Guerrero.jpeg

Tommy Guerrero – “Holding the Ocean

I usually associate Tommy Guerrero’s instrumental electric guitar mojo with the ebbs and flows of skateboarding (not too unlike Ray Barbee). But with “Holding the Ocean” from his gorgeous and ethereal new album Amber of Memory, it’s hard not to imagine this beautiful four-minute piece as part of a cinematic score to an old surfing soundtrack - and that’s not just because of the song title. The wet drippy reverb, the undulating tremolo, and the panoramic spatial quality to this song remind me of the sonic backdrops to Thomas Campbell surf movies or even the soundtrack to the epic 1972 Australian surf film Morning of The Earth.

-Eric

2 Gregory Alan Isakov.jpeg

Gregory Alan Isakov Before the Sun

I've been a fan of singer songwriter Gregory Alan Isakov ever since he played a Whiteboard Session at the Pandora office back in 2015. With his lush, atmospheric arrangements and poetic wordplay. I can never stop at just one song or even album of his - I'm committed for the day, maybe even a whole week. That's just how introspective and reflective his music makes me. His newest album, Appaloosa Bones is no exception. “Before the Sun” is a beautiful, banjo-driven song with a gorgeous chorus that really channels the wide-open spaces of the American West and Southwest.

-Michelle

3 Starving Weirdos.jpeg

Starving Weirdos – “Atheistsaregods

As we descend into autumn, the deep vibes on the new Starving Weirdos album Atheistsaregods are sounding really good to me. Glitchy, dubby, ambient tracks with plenty of drone and shimmer, bells, and chimes. This titular track takes the listener on a journey through wide meandering rivers, haunted forests, twinkling caves, and windswept deserts.

-Diego

4 Kwesi Foraes.jpeg

Kwesi Foraes – “Two Deep

My pick for September comes from Kwesi Foraes from Long Beach, California – a song called “Two Deep” – it sits somewhere between Michael Kiwanuka and Hosier. It's just got a great vibe. This came across my way and when I heard it, it just struck me and I loved it. I hope you do too.

-Jamie

5 Oog Bogo .jpeg

Oog Bogo – “Canary

My pick for this month is from LA punk rockers, Oog Bogo. I saw these guys open up for Osees earlier this month and they were awesome and I’m hoping to catch them again. They have a new record out on Drag City. I hope you like this track.

-Noel

6 Andrew & Polly.jpeg

Andrew & Polly (Children’s) – “Let’s Get Mad (feat. Alphabet Rockers)

Right now, I'm all about the new album from indie kid’s duo and “Ear Snacks” podcasters, Andrew & Polly. The album is called Ahhhhh! and it explores the spectrum of emotions and the power of resilience in all of us. My favorite track is “Let's Get Mad” featuring the Alphabet Rockers. It is a total throwback to the B-52’s and I'm all for it. So go to your mad place right now because when we all get mad, it's a revolution.
-Melissa

7 The Beaches.jpeg

The Beaches – “Blame Brett

My exciting pick for this month is “Blame Brett” by the Beaches from their Blame My Ex album. Yes, it's track one and it sets the tone. This is a unique new take (I think) on a timeless universal theme and it rocks. I love the vocal, I love the production, and I really love the lyrics. It's worth a read, crank it up and check this band out! They are out there crushing it live and they have some beautiful videos and merch and yes, there is a cat in the video for this song. So of course, I love them.

-Din

8 The Walkmen.jpeg

The Walkmen – “We’ve Been Had

My pick for September is the Walkmen and a song that’s called, “We’ve Been Had.” I got to see the Walkmen recently, on this tour that they're doing - kind of a reunion tour - they haven't played together in 10 years or something like that. And it was such a great show and I realized just what an important band they were to me in the early aughts and beyond. But they've been sorely missed these last 10 years. Everyone check out their tour if you get a chance.

-Dan

9 Rainforest.jpeg

Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement – “Violent Spirit Forever Looking Out To Sea

My pick for this month's Pandora Picks is the oddly named Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement. It's the long-running project of Dominick Fernow, the man responsible for the much more aggressive and punishing sounds of the group Prurient. But as Rain Forest spiritual enslavement, he crafts a delicate, breathless, often barely there minimalism. The sound on this new record, Killer Whale Atmospheres is all pulsing, ultra-minimal, ambient techno breathed in abstract nature sounds, rain, wind, water… it's a washed-out, new age, dub that belies the fact that that same man is capable of making some of the most intense harsh noise around. So lean back and drift off with Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement’s violent spirit, forever looking out to sea.

-Andee