cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ad-blocker Error with Paid Subscription

AlyssaPandora

Pandora Update 04/02/2020: We've received reports of listeners with paid subscriptions having trouble with an ad-blocker error when attempting to listen from their computers.

We have made our engineering team aware, and they are currently investigating the reports. I will provide an update as soon as I receive one.

Thank you so much for your reports, screenshots, and continued patience as we work to get a new update for everyone soon. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

Labels (5)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora

Hey @Dan1. 👋

Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. I completely understand how frustrating this must be. Our engineering team is currently looking into this issue.

• Which web browser are you using?
  • Could you try try accessing Pandora from a private browsing window?
    • If you're using Firefox, feel free to use these steps to use a private browsing window.
    • If you're using Chrome, please use these steps to get to the private browsing window.

This will help us determine what is happening and whether you need to whitelist Pandora on your specific browser.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks so much for sticking with me on this! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
96 Replies

Carboncrank
Local Performer

I have both turned off ad block plus and whitelisted pandora and it still keeps telling me to turn my ad-blocker if on.  google chrome is current. win ten updated, tab reloaded, then browser closed and reopened and it still says the same thing. 

I was searching on steely dan. in the search is shows steely dan "artist". I click on that and there is a button that says "top songs". I click the button and get the ad-block pop up saying i'm running ad block As I said, I have it disabled on that tab and whitelisted in ad-block plus. 

I think the reason I quit paying long ago was bad customer support. I'm halfway out the door again. who has time for this crap? 

If someone recommends clearing browsing history and cookies I'll strangle them. that has never fixed a problem I've ever had, and I go back to windows 3.1

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @Carboncrank.

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble. I completely understand how frustrating that must be.

I know this may be inconvenient, but could you please take a screenshot of exactly what the error message says?

We did have an issue similar to this one in the past but it has since been resolved. 

++

Screenshot:

If you have a Windows machine please try using the Snipping Tool. You can find specifics about this tool and how to use it here.

Thanks so much for your help with this!

0 Kudos

bringr
Underground

i have an ad blocker and i refuse to whitelist pandora thats the whole reaosn of having a ad blocker and i pay for premium so this shouldnt be an issue as i shouldnt have ads this "feature" that wont let me play specific songs and select then needs to be dealt with as i do pay and shouldnt have ads to begin with and i know pandora can work fine with the ad blocker on as it dos

mod edit: changing title for clarity & removed language

TannerPandora

Hi @bringr thanks for posting to community! 

Based on the email you signed up with for community, looks like you're subscribed to Pandora Plus, not Premium.

In the past, free listeners and Pandora Plus subscribers were only able to look for artists and tracks in order to create radio stations.

However, we've updated your experience so that you have the ability to listen to content on-demand, without being a Pandora Premium subscriber.

If you're seeing ads message, it's most likely because you're triggering a complimentary session of Pandora Premium without realizing it.

Basically, if you search for and select the name of an artist, or track, or album, you should be brought to a "backstage page" where you can either create a radio station or press play.

If you press play you indicate that you'd like to listen to that content right away (or "on-demand"). Since only Pandora Premium subscribers can listen on-demand, you will either see an ad for Pandora Premium, or be prompted to watch a video ad to unlock a complimentary session of Pandora Premium.

Keep in mind that upgrading to Pandora Premium or accepting a complimentary session of Pandora Premium is completely optional; you can close the ad and we'll create a station for you to listen to instead (if one is available).

Hope this helps to explain why you're reciving the ad blocker message.

Tanner | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

rndonadio
Local Performer

I can't do anything else. I don't have the time

mod edit: format

0 Kudos

bringr
Underground
plus Ad-free personalized stations Search and play anything Enjoy your favorite podcasts Unlimited skips Offline listening premium Ad-free personalized music Search and play anything Enjoy your favorite podcasts Unlimited skips Unlimited offline listening Make and share playlists no where does it state that and again im not seeing anything other then it telling me to turn off my ad blcoker for pandora.. which i will not do it will not let me play a song i searched for unless i do but will let me make a radio station
0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @bringr As previously mentioned, you are upgraded to Pandora Plus, not Premium.

With Plus, you receive the following: 

• Pandora Plus is our first ad-free subscription service. As a Pandora Plus subscriber, you also get the ability to replay tracks, listen to 4 radio stations offline, and you benefit from higher quality audio and a longer timeout period. 

While Pandora Premium subscribers receive all the same benefits along with on-demand content. 

• Pandora Premium includes all the benefits of Pandora Plus, but also offers the ability to search and play songs on-demand. With Pandora Premium you can create fully customizable playlists, access as much of your music collection offline as your mobile device will allow, and you'll have higher quality audio and longer timeouts than Pandora Plus subscribers. 

For more information about the different subscription levels, please visit our help page here

Since Plus does not support on-demand content (only stations), trying to play a specific song or album will prompt you to watch/listen to an ad so that you can access a Premium Session. A Premium Access session gives you the ability to listen to that specific song or album on demand. Since you have an ad blocker turned on, you will receive that message when trying to listen to on-demand content.

For more information on Premium Access, please visit our help page here

Hope this helps to further clarify why you are receiving ads on your Plus subscription. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

bringr
Underground

Search and play anything both have this and yet apparently not.. maybe you should put in the difference when you get this.. like hey even tho we say ad free we arent.. because the tiny text is **Ahem** and hey even tho we say Search and play anything we dont actually let you do that either .. how much other **Ahem** are you guys hiding in tiny text or other **Ahem**

Moderator edit: removed language

AlyssaPandora

Sorry to hear that, @rndonadio. Sounds like you may be experiencing a similar issue.

If you're able to, could you please provide the exact message you're seeing when you attempt to listen?

A screenshot would be helpful too. Let me know.

0 Kudos

wln2006
Local Performer

I can listen to pandora on multiple devices, but my desktop wouldn't play it. Pandora said I needed to drop ad blockers OR upgrade. I upgraded, and it is still complaining about my ad blocker. I will not drop iad blockers, I shouldn't have to because I upgraded. Now what?

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

AdamPandora

@wln2006 Would it be possible to provide us with a screenshot showing the error message that is popping up?

Thanks for all your help with this. 

Adam | Community Moderator

0 Kudos

wln2006
Local Performer

Pandora.jpg

This is what I see.

AlyssaPandora

Sorry for the continued trouble, @wln2006.

You should be able to listen whether you have a free or a paid account.

Would you mind running through these steps

Let me know if this helps!

0 Kudos

MomO3
Local Performer
I'm having the same problem! Except that it's only when I added Sacred Cello as an album. And it's only on my PC. I have played this album just the other day on my Android phone without a problem. I looked in my ad blocker Extensions and Pandora isn't on there. I can play other albums just fine. I've been hearing ads while listening to Piano Guys Radio.

LynnMc
Local Performer

I paid for a subscription to Pandora. Why am I still being asked to turn off my ad blocker. I have it on for a reason. I hate ads. That's why I paid for a subscription. If I still have to listen to ads, I'll go elsewhere for my music.

Davichos909
Local Performer
I paid for a subscription to Pandora. Why am I still being asked to turn off my ad blocker. I have it on for a reason. I hate ads. That's why I paid for a subscription. If I still have to listen to ads, I'll go elsewhere for my music. Labels

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @LynnMc @Davichos909.

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing the same issue. I moved your post over to this thread to keep the community organized.

Would you mind sending over the exact error message you're seeing when it pops up? 

I'd like to share this with our engineering team. 

If you have a Windows machine:

• Please try using the Snipping Tool. You can find specifics about this tool and how to use it here.

If you have a Mac:

• Hold down the Shift key and the Command key (which may have an Apple logo and/or a 'four-leaf clover' type symbol). Then, while still holding down these keys, press the 3 key. This will save the screenshot as a file on your desktop. If you hit the 4 key instead, it will give you a target allowing you to drag a box around only the item that you want to take a screenshot of.

I appreciate your help with this!  

++

Thanks for sharing your experience, @MomO3

I checked in with our User Support team, and it appears that your account is registered as free. However, it appears that you may have used a session of Premium recently.

• Does this issue occur when you attempt to initiate a complimentary session of Pandora Premium?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

sevfinance
Local Performer

It says Oops Adblocker on  

then ddirects to page showing how to get rid of adblockers.

Problem is that I don't hav any

AdamPandora

@sevfinance Would it be possible to send us a screenshot of that message the next time it pops up?

If you have a Windows machine:

• Please try using the Snipping Tool. You can find specifics about this tool and how to use it here.

If you have a Mac:

• Hold down the Shift key and the Command key (which may have an Apple logo and/or a 'four-leaf clover' type symbol). Then, while still holding down these keys, press the 3 key. This will save the screenshot as a file on your desktop. If you hit the 4 key instead, it will give you a target allowing you to drag a box around only the item that you want to take a screenshot of.

I appreciate your help with this!  

Adam | Community Moderator

0 Kudos