cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ad-blocker Error with Paid Subscription

AlyssaPandora

Pandora Update 04/02/2020: We've received reports of listeners with paid subscriptions having trouble with an ad-blocker error when attempting to listen from their computers.

We have made our engineering team aware, and they are currently investigating the reports. I will provide an update as soon as I receive one.

Thank you so much for your reports, screenshots, and continued patience as we work to get a new update for everyone soon. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

Labels (5)
96 Replies

wsahm12
Underground

I just tried playing music and did NOT get an ad-blocker message. Looking positive...

AlyssaPandora

Thanks for letting us know, @wsahm12. 🎶

Please inform us if you run into any additional issues during your listening sessions.

0 Kudos

fegordon
Local Performer

I'm hoping this is a programming error.  If this is the new model for Pandora, I'll be canceling.  Please notify subscribers of what is happening.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @fegordon. 👋

Please keep an eye on this thread for any updates on this issue.

Feel free to check out my message regarding the ad-blocker popping up here.

Thanks so much for your patience while we work on this! 

0 Kudos

davidlsimms
Local Performer

I just started experiencing this ad blocker issue today 4-18-20.  The situation is not fixed. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@davidlsimms To clarify, that message will continue to pop up if you are attempting to initiate a free session of Pandora Premium. 

Can you please do me a favor and send a screenshot of the error message that is popping up on your computer so we can confirm?

Thanks for all your help with this. 

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

davidlsimms
Local Performer

davidlsimms_0-1587652806611.png

The above screen shot shows what I get any time I attempt to go to a new Pandora Channel that I have not previously listened to.  When will this be fixed?  I and others have been having this issue for weeks/months!

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @davidlsimms. 👋

Sorry for any confusion around this. I've checked and it appears that you're upgraded to Pandora Plus. Listening to tracks or albums on-demand is a feature of Pandora Premium, which explains why you're encountering that message.

Premium Sessions while being a Plus subscriber:

In the screenshot, it appears that you may be attempting to play a song from that album. However, you're triggering a complimentary session of Premium in order to listen to on-demand content, which is why you're seeing ads.

• In the past, free listeners and Pandora Plus subscribers were only able to look for artists and tracks in order to create radio stations. We've updated your experience so that you have the ability to listen to content on-demand, without being a Pandora Premium subscriber.
  • If you search for and select the name of an artist, or track, or album, you should be brought to a "backstage page" where you can either create a radio station or press play.
  • If you press play you indicate that you'd like to listen to that content right away (or "on-demand"). Since only Pandora Premium subscribers can listen on-demand, you will either see an ad for Pandora Premium, or be prompted to watch a video ad to unlock a complimentary session of Pandora Premium.

When you click on a track from the album view, you're triggering an advertisement in order to listen to the song immediately rather than a station. The error message is popping up because you have the ad-blocker on but you'll need to turn it off if you want to listen to songs on-demand.

You can find out more info about how to whitelist Pandora here.

++

If you prefer to listen to your stations instead, or create a new station, I'm happy to share more details.

To create a station on the web:

1. In the Search tool at the top of your screen enter an artist, song, composer or genre.
  2. Then click the appropriate search result (it may help to filter your results by Station).
  3. From a source's backstage page click Start Station to add the station to your collection.

You can also use Browse to view station and playlist suggestions picked just for you.

You can find Browse next to My Collection on the home screen of our website.

I hope that this information is helpful. 🎶

0 Kudos

palessio
Local Performer

Just get those ads of now!!

Moderator Edit: Format

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @palessio. 👋

At the moment, your Pandora account is set to our free, ad-supported service. We offer trials of Pandora Plus, Pandora Premium and Pandora Premium Family, but they are purely optional.

You can always reject these trial offers / Premium sessions, or if you do decide to check out a trial but don't want to be automatically billed, simply turn off auto-renewal so you aren't charged at its conclusion.

We're happy to have listeners whether they are paid or free, but I hope this helps to clarify.

0 Kudos

daxm
Underground

This just occurred for me this morning.  4/27/20.  I'm a Pandora Plus subscriber.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @daxm. 👋

Are you attempting to listen to content on-demand (album, individual track, playlist)? 

If so, you will encounter this error message as you'll trigger an advertisement to initiate a complimentary Premium session. You can find out more about how Premium sessions work here.

I would also recommend checking out my post about the ad-block error message here, as it helps explain what you may be encountering as well as how to whitelist Pandora.

Let me know if you continue to run into issues with this.

daxm
Underground

I am trying to play one of my stations like I always do.  I get a popup and a voice telling me I need to disable my ad-blocker.

I'm NOT interested in whitelisting Pandora so if this is the new status quo I'll just cancel my subscription.

AlyssaPandora

@daxm Could you please share me a screenshot of exactly what you're seeing when you click on a station to play?

If you have a Windows machine please try using the Snipping Tool. You can find specifics about this tool and how to use it here.

If you have a Mac:

1. Hold down the Shift key and the Command key (which may have an Apple logo and/or a 'four-leaf clover' type symbol). Then, while still holding down these keys, press the 3 key. This will save the screenshot as a file on your desktop. If you hit the 4 key instead, it will give you a target allowing you to drag a box around only the item that you want to take a screenshot of.
  2. Then, attach it in your next post.

0 Kudos

daxm
Underground

Here you go: 

Screenshot from 2020-04-27 08-08-55.png

Also, if it helps/matters.  I'm on Ubuntu 20.04 Gnome in Firefox v 75.0

0 Kudos

daxm
Underground

Any further advice or instructions on how to remove this issue?  I don't wish to be jumpy in cancelling but I also don't wish to be left hanging.

Update:  I just refreshed my browser tab to Pandora and I once again able to stream my stations without making changes to my ad-blocker status.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Thanks for the update and for your patience, @daxm

Regarding the screenshot, the whole screen would be helpful so I can have a full view of exactly what you're clicking on when this pops up. 

While I do understand your hesitance, I would still recommend whitelisting Pandora if this issue pops up again.

In the meantime, I've shared your experience and information with our engineering team since you mentioned you aren't initiating a Premium session (which would also cause this pop-up) by clicking on a song, playlist, or album to listen to on-demand. 

0 Kudos

tbowerman001
Local Performer

I pay for the subscription and I get the 'turn add blocker off' when I try to logon.  This has been going on for several weeks, thus no Pandora.  Customer support is nil.  tbowerman001

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey there, @tbowerman001. 👋

Sorry for any confusion this has caused. I moved your post over to this existing thread: Ad-blocker Error with Paid Subscription

Looks like you've also enabled sessions of Premium while being a Plus subscriber. When initiating a complimentary session of Premium, you'll trigger an advertisement in order to start the session. 

I would recommend checking out my post about this here.

To whitelist Pandora on your browser, you can use these steps.

In the meantime, we do offer email support for listeners as well. Our User Support team can always be reached here.

Hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you continue to have trouble with this. :pandora:

0 Kudos

clayhues6
Local Performer

Could you just play music and stop all these annoying **ahem**?

0 Kudos