cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web: How to stop music starting automatically?

RedwoodFairy
Local Performer

If I don't find a resolution to this I will switch to another music provider! I only want Pandora to start playing when I PRESS PLAY. 

I cannot seem to find a setting that will stop Pandora from automatically playing a default station or my last listened to station automatically when I launch it. To me this is a violation of privacy, if others are in the room, and my spiritual music starts without me wanting it to!!!

So frustrated, please help.

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for confirming that info, @RedwoodFairy

Unfortunately, this is not currently a feature of Pandora's website. However, your feedback is definitely appreciated. 

To see this idea implemented, feel free to create a feature request, as this is the best way to share your suggestions to improve the service.

++

If you'd prefer to use the desktop app for Windows or Mac, you should be able to adjust your settings to keep Pandora from launching with your computer or playing automatically.  

You can find out more about that here.

Hope this information is helpful!

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @RedwoodFairy.

Could you tell me a bit more about what is happening?

• Are you using your web browser?
  • Or are you using the Pandora Desktop App?

Let me know.

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

RedwoodFairy
Local Performer

web browser

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for confirming that info, @RedwoodFairy

Unfortunately, this is not currently a feature of Pandora's website. However, your feedback is definitely appreciated. 

To see this idea implemented, feel free to create a feature request, as this is the best way to share your suggestions to improve the service.

++

If you'd prefer to use the desktop app for Windows or Mac, you should be able to adjust your settings to keep Pandora from launching with your computer or playing automatically.  

You can find out more about that here.

Hope this information is helpful!

0 Kudos

erosen03
Local Performer

I had the same issue. All Pandora apps (Windows, Android, Web) would immediately start playing as soon as the app was started. That is horrible. There needs to be a setting to turn that off. I cancelled the family plan and mostly stopped using Pandora because of this. 

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @erosen03👋

I completely understand where you're coming from with this.

Another member of the community created a feature request related this here.

If you'd like to see this idea implemented, be sure to click on the  ❤️icon next to the title of the request on the main Feature Request page. 

Thanks so much for posting on the community! 🎧

0 Kudos

BigSur
Local Performer

Agree. Whoever decided that this was a good idea is obviously an idiot.  

vfk
Local Performer

Now I know I'm not the only one annoyed by this.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @vfk. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space.

I would recommend upvoting this existing feature request if you'd like to have this option when listening from the web: Play music on launch - on/off switch 

To upvote an idea, click on the 💙icon next to the title of the feature request.

For more information about how feature requests work on the Pandora Community, feel free to check out this helpful infographic: "How do requests become features?"

Thanks for posting on the Pandora Community and for your feedback about this! 🎧

Raspberry_Trixi
Local Performer

I've got the highest cost subscription (I guess maybe it's called premium).  Yeah, anyway, is there anyway to TURN OFF music automatically playing upon opening the browser?  I happen to be using Safari with my MacBook.   

thanks!

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Raspberry_Trixi. 👋

To keep things tidy, I moved your post over to this existing thread: How to stop music starting automatically?

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to manage your auto-play at launch settings. However, if you download the Pandora Desktop App for your MAC computer, the music doesn't start playing unless you click on the play button.

If you're interested, you can find out more about how the Pandora Desktop works here.

You can also check out the accepted solution for this thread here.

Thanks so much for posting on the Pandora Community! :pandora:

0 Kudos

CustomerZ
Local Performer

The questioner is right.  Pandora turning on automatically should be able to be turned off.  Otherwise it's an intrusive, abusive feature.

IDontwantto
Local Performer

That’s crazy! I don’t want to hear music when my computer is booting up, which is when it starts. I want to only hear it when I START IT!!!!! They should NOT be able to decide they need to play music when it starts. I will cancel membership (paid) and delete profile if I can’t find a solution soon.

greg6529
Local Performer

So it is now 2023 and there is STILL no solution to this? I concur this is at best astonishingly short-sighted and at worst simply idiotic. I am not currently paying for a music subscription with anyone but I'm going to be and this is a deal-breaker for me. Spotify. AmazonMusic. Pandora. Already not an iTunes fan. This simple switch causes me to wonder what other idiocies await once you get my money.

godsbluehills
Local Performer

Is there a way to disable the "Automatic Playback is Disabled" message? I don't want to enable automatic playback, but Pandora seems to think it should be enabled, and this error popups every time I open Pandora.

mod edit: changed title for clarity

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @godsbluehills. 👋

Thanks for posting about your experience with this error message. 

I would recommend checking out these steps in order to adjust the autoplay settings for your specific browser: Web Troubleshooting: Automatic Playback Issues

Let me know if you continue to have trouble. 🎧

0 Kudos

godsbluehills
Local Performer

I didn't ask how to enable autoplay. I don't want autoplay, which is why I have left it disabled in my browser. What I asked is how to get rid of the Pandora "Automatic Playback is Disabled" message.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @godsbluehills. 👋

Thanks for the follow up. I moved your post over to this existing thread: Web: How to stop music starting automatically?

You can check out the accepted solution here

Unfortunately, this is not currently a feature of Pandora's website. If you'd like to see other options available, feel free to create a feature suggestion in this space: Ideas

In the meantime, if your preference is to not have the music play when launching Pandora from your browser, I would recommend using the Desktop App on your computer instead.

We appreciate your feedback around this. 🎧

0 Kudos

lukuskywalker
Opening Act

Yes, please show how to turn Autoplay OFF in the web browser version of Pandora. What's been suggested disables audio completely in the browser which is not a practical solution. What is being asked is how to prevent Pandora from playing automatically when opening Pandora in the browser. In other words, what is being requested is for Pandora to ONLY play when the user clicks the play button and never without the user clicking the play button.

0 Kudos