cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Desktop Client

jdtannehill
Opening Act

I am an avid linux user and would like to develop an open-source Linux desktop client for Pandora in Python. Currently there is Pithos (https://github.com/pithos/pithos) but it lacks support for new features like playlists or station modes because it relies on an outdated API. I'm just an amateur right now, and don't plan on making anything fancy, just functional. On the flipside, I'm basically proposing that I do work for you guys for experience, not money. I know the linux and open-source market is a small niche, but free is free right? If you want to keep your API private, we could probably come to some sort of an agreement regarding it.

Does anyone else here share this desire? Can one of the moderators comment or contact me?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @jdtannehill.

I moved your message over to the Desktop board to keep the community organized.

Your enthusiasm is much appreciated.

We don't have a public API available. We have partnered with a number of companies to develop Pandora-enabled consumer devices, but we generally do not make Pandora available through other sites and applications. We also don't license the Music Genome directly to third parties, so I don't think we can help with this type of development.

Unfortunately, there are far more Linux distributions and configurations than we have the capacity to test, so we do not officially support the use of Pandora on Linux clients.

However, Pandora is an HTML5 application, so it should work reasonably well on most up-to-date Linux desktop systems.

If you'd like to see Pandora supported on Linux devices, feel free to create a feature request here. 🖥

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @jdtannehill.

I moved your message over to the Desktop board to keep the community organized.

Your enthusiasm is much appreciated.

We don't have a public API available. We have partnered with a number of companies to develop Pandora-enabled consumer devices, but we generally do not make Pandora available through other sites and applications. We also don't license the Music Genome directly to third parties, so I don't think we can help with this type of development.

Unfortunately, there are far more Linux distributions and configurations than we have the capacity to test, so we do not officially support the use of Pandora on Linux clients.

However, Pandora is an HTML5 application, so it should work reasonably well on most up-to-date Linux desktop systems.

If you'd like to see Pandora supported on Linux devices, feel free to create a feature request here. 🖥

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

chvz
Local Performer

Pandora - CE

I just started an open-source project for Pandora - Community EditionThe official desktop-clients are built on the electron framework, so I did the same for this project. Feel free to check it out! 

https://github.com/chvz-creates/Pandora-CE

IsleVegan
Local Performer

Very good. Maybe you can get Debian to add it to the repository. Many distributions are based on Debian.

0 Kudos

jdtannehill
Opening Act

I created a very similar thing using npm and Nativefier, but electron and all the javascript makes it a very heavy application just like the website. It takes up hundreds of megabytes of RAM! I want something lightweight, particularly for phone and tablet.

0 Kudos

xapimaze
Local Performer

I would very much like to see a supported Linux desktop client for Pandora. Light weight, secure, easy to find on the desktop (not lost in a forest of browser windows), etc.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @xapimaze. 👋

Thanks for your feedback about this.

We do have an existing feature request that you can upvote here: Linux Desktop Client

To express you interest in seeing this option implemented, click on the 💙icon next to the title of the request. Hope to see you around the community space more often. 🎧

0 Kudos