cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chrome: Pandora Pauses When Switching to Another Tab

pllebas51
Local Performer

I am listening to pandora on a Macbook.  Chrome browser.

when Pandora is playing and I switch to another tab it pauses after about 20 seconds.

when I switch back to the pandora tab it restarts.

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @pllebas51. 👋

Thanks so much for reporting this!

Since you're using Chrome, I would recommend running through these steps to see if it helps resolve the issue you're experiencing. 

If you still have trouble, please try using a different browser to help us determine whether this is browser-related. You can also try troubleshooting your network here.

Feel free to let us know how it goes.

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

13 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @pllebas51. 👋

Thanks so much for reporting this!

Since you're using Chrome, I would recommend running through these steps to see if it helps resolve the issue you're experiencing. 

If you still have trouble, please try using a different browser to help us determine whether this is browser-related. You can also try troubleshooting your network here.

Feel free to let us know how it goes.

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

Tregonia
Local Performer

Using Chrome (current version) and MACOS (current version)

The tab just stops playing after a few minutes. The tab looses the speaker icon, since there is nothing playing. As soon as you focus to that tab, everything starts again.

This is completely new behavior that has started in the month of August 2020

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Tregonia. 👋

I moved your post over to this thread in the Desktop space as you mentioned you're using Chrome: Pauses When Switching to Another Tab on Chrome

Please try out these steps and let me know if it helps. In the meantime, I'm going to share this with our engineering team.

++

@pllebas51 @Tregonia 

• Does this happen when you're listening to stations or on-demand content? Or, both?
  • Also, does this occur right away or when a song is transitioning?

Let me know. I look forward to hearing back!

TheWebCoder
Local Performer

I can second this.

MacOS: 10.14.6

Version 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I am technical and have tried all recommended steps.

1) rebooted wifi -- am actually on a hardwired ethernet 

2) double checked that sound is enabled, and I even whitelisted pandora for good measure

Same thing, if Pandora is not on the active tab now it stops playing seemingly randomly.

Update: By opening Pandora in a separate WINDOW instead of a separate TAB it seems to solve the issue. So it has something to do with background audio in a tab in Chrome.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @TheWebCoder. 👋

Thanks so much for your post. 

I've reported this over to our engineering team so that they can look into this further. 

If you notice anything else, please let me know. In the meantime, I've shared all of the information / feedback on this thread with our team on an internal ticket. 🎧

MelindaSB
Local Performer

I'm having the same issue on Chrome. I used to be able to listen to music while I worked, but now, I have to press play on every song if I move to another tab. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @MelindaSB. 👋

To keep the community space organized, I moved your post over to this existing thread: Pauses When Switching to Another Tab on Chrome

We have received mentions of this issue. I would recommend making sure that you're using an updated version of Chrome.

Let's try running through these steps here.

Feel free to keep me updated on your progress. 🎧

Gerrie
Local Performer

I am using HP Chromebook and today when I opened Pandora and started listening it worked fine. Then I went to another tab, which I almost always do, to read emails or shop on Amazon. Pandora quit audio and paused. It will now only play when on the Pandora tab and I am unable to multitask while listening. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a solution? It has nothing to do with my internet as I can listen and switch tabs on my android (Samsung Galaxy 9). 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Gerrie. 👋

Thanks so much for letting us know about your experience. I moved your post over to this existing thread: Pauses When Switching to Another Tab on Chrome

We have received mentions of this issue. I would recommend making sure that you're using an updated version of Chrome. Let's try running through these steps here.

Hope this helps! 🎧

lummidoc
Local Performer

stop moving the question and answer it.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@lummidoc While we have had a number of people report this, it doesn't look like anyone has replied back on this thread after our suggested troubleshooting steps were provided.

Can you please try running through these steps and let me know if it resolves the issue for you?

Thanks for working with me on this. 

fairyprincess
Local Performer

It appears as though whenever I play Pandora on my Web browser (on Chrome), that the music would pause unexpectedly whenever I open up another tab, such as YouTube, for one example.

I was hoping to listen to my music on Pandora while watching a video on YouTube at the same time; however, the same song (a Backstreet Boys song, which was only 3-minutes something long) had been playing for the WHOLE entire time while I'd been watching the video on YouTube. The YouTube video is about an hour, 40-something minutes long, and I was hoping to enjoy my Pandora music in the background while watching this YouTube video.

However, the Backstreet Boys song kept pausing each time I would click on the YouTube tab, and I'm not sure why that is. I felt like the song kept pausing by itself unexpectedly, and I don't usually have this issue on the mobile app; it's only on the PC app on Chrome that I'm experiencing this issue. The Backstreet Boys song isn't even that long, but it kept pausing each time I'd click on the YouTube tab to continue watching the video, thus making the Pandora song seem and feel as long as the YouTube video.

I know I'm probably not making that much sense the way I'm trying to explain it, but hopefully you get some idea of what I'm trying to say is my issue with the music unexpectedly pausing all by itself for literally no reason at all.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @fairyprincess. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're encountering this issue.

To keep things organized I moved your post over to an existing thread where I've seen this issue mentioned before: Chrome: Pandora Pauses When Switching to Another Tab

Please check out the steps in the accepted solution to this thread. 

Another option is to use the Pandora Desktop App to stream your tunes and use your browser to watch your video. You can find out more info about how our desktop app works here

Feel free to let us know if you continue to have trouble. 🎧