cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web: Some Songs Skip / Don't Play

Blainer
Local Performer

Some songs do not play, some songs do play - this occurs across all browsers.  I have performed the troubleshooting steps for each browser respectively.

When on a station, the client (browser) auto-skips songs that are broken until it gets to a song that works.

I'm not a web developer, but I've take the liberty of doing a bit of client-side debug that may be helpful to engineering.

I believe the problem is related to one of the URL that pandora loads some data from (not sure what data exactly it's requesting, but the client is unable to play the song when this failure occurs).  The problem seems to begin with a request being blocked due to the CORS (Cross-Origin-Resource-Sharing) policy (this is a security feature in modern browsers).

The failing request is to https://t3-5.p-cdn.us/access/?version=5&lid=<UNIQUE-ID>&token=<UNIQUE-ID>.

Monitoring the network activity of the browser when a song does successfully play, I notice that SXMAudioPlayer.js makes a similar request, except that instead of the domain name being "t3-5.p-cdn.us", it's "audio-dc6-t2-1-v4v6.pandora.com", which is obviously works since it's the same domain.

Sometimes a song that failed earlier will succeed, or vice-versa.  Sometimes a song will fail during playback.  In all cases, it appears to be due to the same CORS issue described above.  It seems to load data from the audio-dc6-t2-1-v4v6.pandora.com domain for a while, and then at some point during playback it switches to t3-5.p-cnd.us domain, which kills the song.

I have not been able to identify a pattern regarding when it makes requests to the correct URL vs the broken URL.  If I do notice a pattern, I will update this post.

If you'd like me to collect more specific debug information, please reach out.

UPDATE

I tried running chrome with --disable-web-security.  This will cause chrome to not block CORS violations, so the requests to t3-5.p-cdn.us succeed (also, I noticed it's not always t3-5 - sometimes it's t3-4, or something else like that, but the domain is always "p-cdn.us").

The song still does not play - the request succeeds, but the server only returns ~30 kB, whereas the corresponding requests to pandora.com return a few MB.  Due to the small size of the server's response, I don't think it's actually returning any music data, which is (I think) the intended result, since the corresponding request to the "pandora.com" domain returns a much larger response (~5 MBs), which I assume contains actual song audio.  The client will repeat these small requests to p-cdn.us about every half second forever.  The web page just says "BUFFERING...", and the song never plays.

Also, I've noticed that songs that previously worked are more likely to work on subsequent requests.  The most likely songs to fail are songs from artists that I haven't listened to recently, suggesting that there may be some interplay with some kind of caching mechanism.

Labels (2)
9 Replies

mitchiet
Local Performer

I HAVE THIS PROBLEM TOO

Blainer
Local Performer

PANDORA PLS HELP ME YOU"RE MY ONLY HOPE

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Blainer. 👋

Since this is happening across all browser, I've gone ahead and sent over an email to run a web diagnostic. If you don't see the email yet, please check your spam / junk folder. Thanks for your patience.

++

@mitchiet Hello 👋

Which browser are you using when this happens?

Do any error messages pop up?

Let me know. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.09.24)

mitchiet
Local Performer

I use Google Chrome, and sometimes Edge. I think I got an error message a couple ties but can't remember what it said. The song skipping happens for me though.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for providing that info, @mitchiet.

If you do notice the error message again, please let me know exactly what it says. 

In the meantime, let's try some troubleshooting on your browser to see if it helps resolve the issue. You can find the steps for your specific browser(s) below:

++

If the issue persists after the browser specific troubleshooting steps, I would recommend rebooting your connection.

1. Shut down your device completely;
  2. Unplug your modem and router, wait one full minute, and then plug them back in;
  3. Wait five more minutes to allow the modem and router to fully boot back up;
  4. Turn your device back on and try Pandora again.

If Pandora still isn't working, could you check if you're able to connect to your network using another streaming service, such as YouTube?

Let me know how it goes. 🎧

0 Kudos

jasium
Local Performer

Can confirm this also happens in X86 windows FF 93.0.  example error from FF dev tools > network window:

Media resource blob:https://www.pandora.com/aa44e8df-1f9b-4f42-a319-5bd386c958ae could not be decoded.

All candidate resources failed to load. Media load paused.

Media resource blob:https://www.pandora.com/aa44e8df-1f9b-4f42-a319-5bd386c958ae  could not be decoded, error: Error Code: NS_ERROR_DOM_MEDIA_METADATA_ERR (0x806e0006)

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://t3-2.p-cdn.us/access/?version=5&lid=49566555&token=  elided
(Reason: CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing).

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://t3-2.p-cdn.us/access/?version=5&lid=49566555&token=  elided

(Reason: CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing).

ERROR: client/sxm-audio-player: :[AP]: MP4ChunkProducer Error getting chunk AssetError: HTTP 0

(this last presumably due to inability to retrieve cached media bits as OP suggests)

To spare Alyssa et al the trouble, other streaming media services work fine from my network, and pandora works fine on certain songs. 

Example working song:

Example non-working song:

https://www.pandora.com/artist/thunderball/12-mile-high/12-mile-high/TRkkZfg6VKrxwK2

https://www.pandora.com/artist/thunderball/scorpio-rising/angelas-lament/TRntVrgnjJkb7r4

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @jasium. 👋

Thanks for your detailed response. I've gone ahead and shared your feedback with our engineering team so they can investigate further. Feel free to let us know if you notice anything else. 🎧

0 Kudos

jasium
Local Performer

Hello @AlyssaPandora --

It's 4 months later, this problem persists (through every FF release up to and including FF 97), and it is sufficiently disruptive to my listening that I'm  planning to let my subscription expire.  Is there an update/timeline from engineering, or should I be researching how to port my music collection/likes/stations/.... out to a competitor?

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @jasium. 👋

Sorry to hear that this issue is still happening. I've let our engineering team know that you've been experiencing this since it was reported back in October. I understand how frustrating that can be.

At this time, I do not have an update or a timeline on this as our engineering team is still investigating. All reports on this thread have been shared on an internal ticket with our web engineers. 

Regarding exporting / importing music, this is not a feature of Pandora. However, we have this existing feature suggestion here: Import / Export Music From or to Other Platforms

0 Kudos