cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All artists receive equal play on a station, regardless of popularity

All artists receive equal play on a station, regardless of popularity

MusicIsForever
Diamond in the Rough

Several years ago, there was a time when I seeded to the most popular first. Pandora then focused on the most popular artists first, and hardly anything else. I wanted to hear other stuff though, so I scavenged the web for lesser known bands that I would like for Pandora to give equal treament to. I put them there because I wanted to hear them. Duh! Now, years later, know this, if I wanted to still keep hearing the popular stuff, good or not so good, why else would I add seeds of less popular bands? It is as if Pandora is trying to tell me what is the best when I already know what I like. By Pandora skipping over play of the less popular bands, I get the same old same old. Please stop! How can I tell Pandora I don't want the same old same old. Maybe let an occasional B-side of the popular bands in, because I want the less populars and rarities. I want to hear who the music industry has put on the bottom of the barrel, and continues to do so. I put them as seeds because I want to hear the lesser knowns. I can evaluate them myself.

Labels (2)
4 Comments
AlyssaPandora
Status changed to: Open Ideas

AlyssaPandora

Thanks for sharing your idea and thoughts, @MusicIsForever.

See ya around the community.  🎶

MusicIsForever
Diamond in the Rough

I have found that the best way to handle this at this time is to use the "I'm tired of this" button on the Now Playing screen. Just keep at it. Get the same old same old out and what you want will probably be left behind! 

I've tried adding additional seeds. That didn't work.

I've tried removing the seeds of the popular bands. That didn't work.

I've tried creating new stations without the popular bands. That didn't work.

I don't want to give up on Pandora by just thumbing the popular stuff down. Yet, lately by saying, I'm tired of this song, I have got much greater diversity. I hear songs that I haven't heard before, and bands that I am curious about by doing some cleaning out every once in a while of the same old same old.

Pandora's song recommendations don't seem to work because they always either start with the same old same old or they gravitate to those same old same old bands. 

Ideally though what I want is a trickle in of old favorites in a sea of other music that I have seeded. In other words maybe play some old Metallica once every 50 songs, but if I get more than 2 old Metallica songs in the same session, it's back to cleaning out the same old same old. I am willing to bet that will be what I get if I use the "I'm tired of this" feature eventually this same old same old music will slowly trickle back. It appears that it trickles back too quick, but I can use it again!

MusicIsForever
Diamond in the Rough

In other words, it is sometimes possible to get to the good stuff, if you are willing to take the time to clean out all the other possibilities by simply using the "I'm tired of this" button.