Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Allow for VPN

Ideas: Allow for VPN

bab
Underground

Dear Folks-

I have Been a Pandora subscriber since 2011.

I am incensed and alarmed about your recent blocking a VPN addresses.

My use of a VPN  

a) is none of your business

b) improves BOTH your security and mine.

I urge you, please, to correct this short-sighted move. What does it gain you?

If you must have it, make VPN support a feature for the paid tiers.

Have you looked at r/pandora recently? There are quite a few concerned with this.

My subscription expires in June 2020. I would hate to end a 9-year relationship.

But I will if I have to.

mod edit: changing title for clarity

Labels (1)
25 Comments
mrfitch7
Local Performer

Haven't seen any response from Pandora regarding VPN restrictions, but I uninstalled and re-installed the Pandora app (Ver 15.0.3 for Windows).  Now I can connect and stream music via the app or web page while I have VPN active.  👍

mrfitch7
Local Performer

Pandora App for Windows, Ver 15.0.3 appears to work with my NordVPN.  I uninstalled the app, installed again, and now I'm able to connect while on VPN via browser or the app.  Not sure if Pandora actually fixed the issue or if something changed on my end (maybe a newer version of NordVPN?).  At any rate, it's working now and I'm happy.  👍

BNSSR
Local Performer

Guys I think I found the answer to this. I too have been with Pandora since it was called "DJ PLUS" (this was three or fours mergers/buyouts ago - think "I joined this service when it first came out, it was one of the first to play the radio over the internet - early 90's"). I also have the highest level of subscription service I can buy on here. Anyway, I recently added a VPN to my iPhone 13ProMax & I have the most recent iOS as of this post (16.1.1.) & my Pandora stopped working. I finally figured out that you have to 1) choose a VPN location that is in the US & then 2) find a VPN location in the US where the connection will work. EXAMPLE: my VPN servers in NY do not work; if I connect to a VPN location in Colorado, IT WORKS!

Calsarah13
Local Performer

I’m extremely frustrated that I’ve used a VPN (NordVPN) for years that Pandora *just* started blocking a few days ago. I tried every fix I could think of before finding *three-year-old* threads about Pandora’s lack of support for VPN users. What gives? I’ve been paying for Pandora for over a decade. Why do you not support VPN? Why am I just now having issues?

murph964
Local Performer

Ditto for me.  A difference I'll note, that this manifested today on iPhone only after updating to ios16.1.1.  My desktop, OSX with VPN still plays fine.  For now.

As a paid subscriber, I shouldn't be limited to offline listening only when protected by a VPN.  And until today, I wasn't.

As with others, this is a dealbreaker.

murph964
Local Performer

I emailed customer service since VPN currently works with desktop but not portable. They responded ‘VPN is not currently supported’, as if it had not been to date. They also suggested contacting VPN provider to create a hole for Pandora. So Pandora could sell our data. Complete disregard for privacy. Have cancelled. Hopefully Pandora will reconsider as I have years worth of curated channels. But privacy is more important. 

Bevin1
Local Performer

As a 10 plus year user and premium subscriber I have just cancelled my subscription and gone to Spotify over this VPN issue. Makes no sense why it’s Pandora doing this and others aren’t. Bye. 

juju0
Local Performer

I also am wanting Pandora access with VPN on. 

Squeegee
Local Performer

Agreed! I’ve switched to another music service since my VPN is being blocked. I prefer Pandora and would love to come back, but it’s a big enough issue to stay away until it’s fixed. 

Bull284
Local Performer

I love pandora and have been a user for years. I used to disable my VPN when using Pandora but a VPN is simply not optional these days. Please allow VPN usage. I'm using NordVPN, by the way.