cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Choose Types of Ads/ Rate Ads

Ideas: Choose Types of Ads/ Rate Ads

jhoyer27
Underground

I know there are a lot of folks out there that are annoyed by the advertisement selection that they are exposed to.  I am also one of them.  I have a suggestion, though I'm sure someone must have thought of this already.

Give us a thumbs-up/thumbs-down option for advertisements!  Not all advertisements are terrible, but some of them are so offensive to people that it's driving them away from your platform.  Or at the very least leading them to mute their device for a couple minutes until the ads are done playing.  I'm sure the ad payers probably don't enjoy forking over money simply to be muted and ignored by your listener base.  At the very least give them the exposure to those who are actually going to listen to them, and help them avoid those who are going to avoid them!

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
79 Comments
Prospero710
Local Performer

For the past few months a Tide ad has been playing that uses the melody from Beethoven's 5th Symphony. This commercial has caused me to stop using Tide products even though Tide used to be my favorite Often I will also shut down Pandora when the ad starts because I can't handle hearing the song anymore.

There needs to be an option in the Pandora app or general account setting that allows you to opt out of musical ads, or at the very least the ones that aren't in the same genre as the music you are listening too. 

Has anyone come accross a way to avoid specific ads?

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

blues-sevenfold
Diamond in the Rough

I understand not being able to opt out of ads entirely without upgrading to Plus or Premium, but some of those commercials do have very annoying jingles!!

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Open Ideas

Savagecrouton
Local Performer
I am about to stop using Pandora because of the annoying Tide ads. I end up just closing the app whenever they come on. Which is about every other song. I will not use tide anymore because of it either. Is there a way to get something else as an ad that isn't so annoying?
jmcdougal10
Local Performer
I listen to Pandora nearly all day at work For at least the last 2-3 days, I've heard the exact same advertisement over and over. It's never a different ad. I don't mind the occasional ads, but this is driving me crazy! How can I get some variety back?
AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the community, @jmcdougal10!

I completely understand where you're coming from.

I moved your post over to this existing feature request as it seems like you'd be interested in a similar option.

Be sure to upvote the idea by clicking on the  ❤️icon. 

See ya around the community!  🎧

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Open Ideas

@jhoyer27 I moved your post to the Feature Request space to keep the community organized.

Thanks for your suggestion! 💡

vatorto
Local Performer

I'm here to add my voice in the event that a Tide marketing employee reviews Pandora feedback to determine the effectiveness of its ads. My wife and I agree that we are boycotting Tide products due to its annoying ads. The most recent ad openly admits to how annoying it is. I don't like giving business to companies that use such shameful marketing tactics.

oneninetieth
Local Performer
Yup. I understand that ads are a necessary inconvenience, but those Tide ads are truly the pits. It's a turn off to Pandora, to Tide, and even classical musical...almost. I didn't like Fur Elise. Now I hate it.
katansi
Local Performer

Every other major platform allows us to change ad preferences. Pandora should have that option. It's slowly driving me away, not driving me towards paying for the service. I was directed towards this forum because they're now playing adult ads which I don't want to hear and the only thing suggested was to turn off "explicit" content which is an unacceptable solution as minor swearing counts as explicit in the music world. Users should be able to mute irrelevant, annoying, or repetitive ads just like you can with Instagram, Facebook, and AdChoices preferences. This is not rocket surgery, this is a problem with a known solution.