cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Music videos or visualizer

Ideas: Music videos or visualizer

WeanerGuy
Underground

Some sort of visualizer mode would be cool to see. I'd like to see it when casting from my phone to my TV. Would be a fun feature on all possible platforms.

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (3)
103 Comments
Vanyel
Local Performer

I would love a visualizer on PC.

Verdanow
Local Performer

Yes please!

BenderIsGreat
Local Performer

I think it would be a challenge to implement some of these features such as virtualizer (audio spatial and reverb), related video feeds, and visualizer. 

That said all three are doable and except for the related video feeds have been done before.  For example, WinAmp and Windows Media Player have those two features as plug ins. 

To do this in Pandora, it would require some tricky refactoring of the app code for the various platforms (don't forget smart TVs have Pandora apps too) because it is a lightweight (audio only) streaming paradigm.  Therefore they should be done on the server side. 

- Audio spatials could be formed for an individual user before the audio stream is sent. 

- Visualizers could be restricted to certain platforms where Pandora has leeway to embed the viz software in the user program, such as on desktop and mobile, but probably not on TVs.  (You could still cast your Pandora app to your TV though.) 

- To embed related videos would probably require a team-up with Youtube so that (1) IP is not violated and (2) to tap into Youtube's streaming capabilities to handle the much higher bandwidth of video.

BenderIsGreat
Local Performer

...  BTW, I'm absolutely for the visualizer!  Make sure you get the visualization code from GEISS.

PapaD
Local Performer
Sounds like a bunch of excuses to keep the status quo...

Get Outlook for Android<>
benrow77
Local Performer

The desktop app experience is visually unappealing. 

Music is seldom a standalone experience and is greatly enhanced by appealing visuals that complement the auditory experience. I've seen requests for music videos and full-screen album covers, both of which would be preferable to the mundane state of the player in its current iteration. 

Some examples would be Winamp's (remember Winamp?) visualization feature, countless lofi (and likely other genres) stations on YouTube that use a simple animated image loop, the holiday fireplace channels, screensavers... any sort of visually appealing option to replace the static and boring player in its current state. 

My use case may not be common, but I primarily work from home, where my work computer is situated at my desk alongside my personal computer. I use my personal PC for music while I work in order to maintain a strict separation between work and personal content. Having some sort of visualization on the player would make the experience more appealing, but oddly enough it also helps reduce the amount of distraction from the personal computer.

Listening to music while you work is all about that dopamine drip into your brain, but not having some sort of visual stimulus obscuring the seductions of greater distractions makes using Pandora less appealing than something like a YouTube channel. 

I've been a big fan of Pandora since the beginning, and I refuse to give up my subscription, but I'd love to see some progress with more advanced features across the board. 

AdamP
Local Performer

I tend to have my phone propped on the treadmill or screened to my tv while I workout. Having a moving graphic that adjusts to the beat rhythm and style of the song would be great to keep listeners in the mood. I was thinking flashing colors and cool visuals would keep listeners engaged.

cruzbr81
Local Performer

Agreed.  A visualizer that reacts to the music beats would be awesome.   Not only does it prevent our TV's from any kind of burn ins but would be pleasing to watch. I often use Pandora while cleaning or hosting and would like the TV to have some ambience.  When cooking or cleaning, Id rather have music playing on the tv with a screensaver vs a TV program on.  I remember when Windows had a wide variety of screensavers to choose from,  now limited.  

Saavedro88
Opening Act

Bumping this up for attention, this would be a WELCOME addition to the Pandora platform. 

misterbullgod
Local Performer

Yes!  Now introducing the new Visual-EYEZ-er with Pandora! I mean Winamp has one.  As does Windows Media Player.

mod edit: merged comments