cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Lock for creating new stations on Alexa & Google

Ideas: Lock for creating new stations on Alexa & Google

m_alvare5
Underground

Hi everyone.  I'm super annoyed with Alexa creating a new station everytime it misunderstands what we requested.  It creates dozens of new stations every week and adds it to My Collection.  We need a way to prevent this behavior.  Maybe a lock mechanism where you need a three digit pin number to create a new station, that way Alexa or the kids won't create stations I don't want.

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (2)
155 Comments
mpcgannon
Underground

I'm not sure what happened... But one of the stations that Alexa ignores and creates a new one of, FINALLY PLAYED UPON COMMAND! Maybe they are working to address this?? Fingers crossed!

mpcgannon
Underground

Just wanted to stop in once more to happily report that the problem seems to have been fixed. The echo has not been creating any new stations and has successfully been playing every station I request, correctly.

heyjoshday
Local Performer

Not fixed for me unfortunately. Every time I request my "Orchestral" radio station, Alexa creates a new "London Symphony Orchestra" station. Every. Single. Time. STOP!

snarklePants
Local Performer

Life is frustrating enough, what with all the pandemics, wildfires, air quality, and lack of campsites inside active volcanoes. Must we just simply tolerate this assault on our curated stations?  I for one say hell no, we won't go. Who's with me?  Great, take a sticker and let's show them. 

jcsjr910
Local Performer

I have the same problem.

Already have a station created with over 2700 happily approved songs, dating back to 2008.

Every time I ask for that station to be played, a new station with that same name is created and the same songs get repeated over and over. I end up having to go in and delete it every time. The original station with the 2700 songs never gets played via the Echo.

Irrigating to say the least.

Jeff

sgtdave
Local Performer

Any update on this?

Because Pandora creates a new station every single time a song is requested on an Amazon Echo. Dozens of new, unwanted stations are created a day. After a couple of weeks, the are so many new stations that it takes hours to delete them all individually. Either Pandora needs to stop creating new stations based on a single Echo request, or we need a bulk delete feature, or both. I either need to unlink Pandora from the Echo, or I need stop listening to Pandora online. Their coexistence is untenable. 

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@sgtdave I moved your post to this feature request since it is more in line with your feedback: Lock for creating new stations (Alexa - Stop creating new stations please)

Make sure to give this thread a ❤️ to express your interest in seeing it added to the service as well.

Hope we continue to see you around the Community! :pandora:

JessicaLee
Underground

For the love of Goddess and all that is Holy, please fix this!

90% of my Pandora stations are worthless **ahem** now because I have the same carefully-curated 10 or so stations... and 90-100 that are Alexa misunderstanding me or something, or not finding a song in my library because I said the name wrong.

Defaulting to creating a new station any time no other music match is found is a terrible design when the whole point of stations is to curate the "perfect" station. The entire reason I've been a faithful Pandora One fan for 11 years is because I have a broad and eclectic taste in music, and I can curate a station for each taste, depending on how I feel in a given moment. When I suddenly find myself scrolling through page after page after page of one-off garbage stations, that utterly ruins the experience. Bonus, it's 100x worse on some Pandora-enabled devices -- my car stereo and home AV receiver spring so painfully to mind with their one line displays. With 10, even 20 stations I want, it's not a particularly bad experience... but when the list gets Charlie-Foxtrotted into oblivion by junk stations I never wanted Alexa to even listen to in the first place (let alone create individual stations for each munged request), it's just a nightmare. Not to mention making it dangerous to try to change the station while driving (I basically try to get the station set before I leave, because it's too **ahem** dangerous to do so with this obnoxiously polluted list).

For those more graphically oriented, my Pandora stations before Alexa and after:

My station list, before (left) and after (right) AlexaMy station list, before (left) and after (right) Alexa

stormyk
Local Performer

I have Pandora on my Echo Device (paid version), and Amazon music(also paid).  Other people in the house ask her to play a song, sometimes it opens Pandora with creating a new channel.  I want a dozen channels at most.  But the list grows well past 50.

When using Pandora in my car (Apple Carplay), I don't have full access to all my channels,  So my trip is suddenly filled with music genre's that I find annoying and jarring.  Because I can't scroll to What I like.

I've been removing the stations in the browser, but it takes a while to reload the page every time I delete a station.  And I have to repeat the process every time they get on a Christmas Music Tear.

If I could block that device (or all amazon devices) from creating stations it would save me a bunch of time. And be preferable.
If I could block that one Device from having Pandora, without cutting off all my amazon devices, I would take that option too
If I could highlight a munch of songs, and clean up the mess in under 2 minutes that would work too.

TannerPandora

Hi @stormyk! Thanks for posting.

I moved your message over to an existing feature request here. Please be sure to like ' ❤️' - the more votes an idea gets the more likely that it will be looked at for our roadmap. 

Thanks for the suggestion!