cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: More Gender Options

Ideas: More Gender Options

Bellagirl
Underground

I would like to be able to choose other genders besides male or female I am a nonbinary they them pronouns I don't prefer to be genders I would really appritate if you would change this to be more 

moderator edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (2)
17 Comments
TannerPandora
Status changed to: Open Ideas

Hi @Bellagirl, thanks for posting!

We’re always looking to improve, and getting feedback like this definitely helps with that. Thanks for being a part of our Community! ❤️

Bellagirl
Underground
Spoiler
ok but please take this into strong consideration because the genders you have can make people feel like there gender is invalid
Depressed-Cos69
Underground

I agree. I'm nonbinary and use they/them pronouns as well. I would like the gender option to have "Nonbinary" as one option as well.

frenchkL
Underground

Has this issue been addressed? I do not want to indicate a gender in my new account, b/c I do not want any music picked for me based on what gender I am, whether it be male, female, non-binary, etc. Thank you

Bellagirl
Underground

no I don't think so

frenchkL
Underground

That's too bad.

TannerPandora, I am delaying my decision to start a paid subscription because of this issue. I hope Pandora is working quickly to change these options.

Dylan-Bay-Adams
Local Performer

I am going with a paid subscription elsewhere because the other service offers me the opportunity to select nonbinary gender. Imagine having to lie on a form and choose a gender that is not your own. This is important to a lot of people. Pandora, wake up! I would consider switching back if this issue gets resolved.

frenchkL
Underground

I would like to request that the gender question be removed from the process of starting a new pandora account (or upgrading to a paid account). If it is also asked during the process of setting up music station preferences, it should be removed there as well.

Here are my reasons:

1. The current question excludes people who identify as trans, and non-binary. It only allows the user to pick male or female.
  2. The reason given by pandora for asking for gender is so that appropriate music can be suggested to the user. I cannot fathom why gender has much influence on music preferences. However, if pandora uses an algorithm based on gender, then it would be cumbersome to add new options. Therefore the easiest way to stop alienating people is to remove the question.
  3. If you are asking for gender for other reasons that help pandora for business purposes, such as marketing, then say so. In this case, it should be easy to add options to the list of genders, so do it.
  4. You should do something about this, because, even if the current users of this forum don't care, the people who are insulted, annoyed, or hurt by your current question probably aren't using your product and joining this forum. 

Until this policy is changed, I will not subscribe to pandora, and I will certainly advise my friends against using pandora b/c of your gender insensitivity.

kaspersimmz
Local Performer

I am a male and proud of it. That being said I do believe that there should be other options at the very least. Better yet, the complete removal of the "option" all together.

I pay for a subscription for myself, and one for my wife. Because of this there aren't any AD's that need to be "personalized" based on sex.

Furthermore ones sex/gender/identity should NOT influence the music played/suggested on a station.

Corrodias
Underground

Indeed, there doesn't seem to be a purpose to the question except for selling membership data to advertisers.